PDA

View Full Version : Cobb

Pugger
01-02-2014, 11:49 AM
Thank god we have Cobb back and I'm sure Aaron will look for him a lot on Sunday:

http://www.packers.com/media-center/videos/WYMM_Big_play_from_Cobb_was_coming/961c59f0-736f-49dd-90d4-8d33427e35fe

denverYooper
01-02-2014, 12:17 PM
With the uncertainty at SF's nickel spot, Cobb could be a very nice matchup problem for GB to exploit.

Rutnstrut
01-02-2014, 01:05 PM
I hope Cobb has a big day, maybe that'll mean Rodgers isn't locking in on Jordy like he did last week.

Rodgers12
01-02-2014, 01:06 PM
The Packer defense is uninspiring, so there's a high probability the Packers will be seeing lots of kickoffs. And with the cold, there likely won't be too many touchbacks.

Allow Cobb to return kicks? I vote yes.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 01:09 PM
The Packer defense is uninspiring, so there's a high probability the Packers will be seeing lots of kickoffs. And with the cold, there likely won't be too many touchbacks.

Punts yes, kickoffs no

Rodgers12
01-02-2014, 01:17 PM
Punts yes, kickoffs no

Given what's at stake, you have to play your best players. Cobb is the Packers' best returner. Can't be playing scared at this time of the year.

Aside from Hyde's long return against Pittsburgh, the Packers have been terrible on KO. Field positioning is important.

Let Cobb loose - as a receiver, runningback and returner.

gbgary
01-02-2014, 03:32 PM

I vote no. we have returners that have done just fine. save him for real football.

denverYooper
01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I doubt they'll put Cobb on returns unless they really feel like they need a big play there. After last year, they might be content to let Hyde (and Bell) handle Punt/Kick returns. I know Hyde muffed the one in Chicago, but he's been pretty steady.

Freak Out
01-02-2014, 03:44 PM
I hope Cobb has a big day, maybe that'll mean Rodgers isn't locking in on Jordy like he did last week.

UNHEALTHY INFATUATION!

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 03:48 PM
UNHEALTHY INFATUATION!

UNBALANCED!!

Zool
01-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Rodgers like them lily white.

The Shadow
01-02-2014, 04:44 PM
This Cobb talk is corny.

RashanGary
01-02-2014, 05:20 PM
This Cobb talk is corny.

Aaron corn-holes his receivers :)

Joemailman
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM

Yeah, I'd hate to see Jordy have 160 yards receiving again. Totally messed up the offense.

gbgary
01-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I'd hate to see Jordy have 160 yards receiving again. Totally messed up the offense.

:)

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 05:41 PM

If Rodgers hadn't been a little off, Nelson might have had 250 and another TD or two. Hate to see that!

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2014, 06:56 PM
I'd keep Hyde on punt returns. He's good and has been sure-handed. He's not as dynamic on kickoff returns, so I'd think about putting Cobb back there on kickoff returns.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 08:02 PM
I'd keep Hyde on punt returns. He's good and has been sure-handed. He's not as dynamic on kickoff returns, so I'd think about putting Cobb back there on kickoff returns.

I just worry about Cobb getting hurt on KO returns. Hey, hopefully there are more PR than KR opportunities! We can hope, can't we?

denverYooper
01-02-2014, 08:15 PM
I just worry about Cobb getting hurt on KO returns. Hey, hopefully there are more PR than KR opportunities! We can hope, can't we?

Yeah. And they might want to keep Cobb fresh to help them move the chains. He, Lacy, and Starks should be a big part of helping the offense control TOP on Sunday.

Rodgers12
01-02-2014, 08:41 PM
I just worry about Cobb getting hurt on KO returns.

Why not just bench Cobb altogether? He could get hurt just running onto the field during the introduction.

Players play, to paraphrase Belichick. Hyde doesn't have that rare breakaway speed needed to be a good KO returner. Cobb does.

If Tom Brady was the Patriots best returner, Belichick would allow Brady to return kicks in a blink of an eye. Players play. Playing scared is for women and Dan Devine.

pbmax
01-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Why not just bench Cobb altogether? He could get hurt just running onto the field during the introduction.

Players play, to paraphrase Belichick. Hyde doesn't have that rare breakaway speed needed to be a good KO returner. Cobb does.

If Tom Brady was the Patriots best returner, Belichick would allow Brady to return kicks in a blink of an eye. Players play. Playing scared is for women and Dan Devine.

Kickoffs are thought to be the highest risk plays during the game. If you can reduce risk by having him avoid 3-5 plays a game, its a pretty reasonable precaution. Punt returners tend to take less abuse, though you can still get drilled if you are not careful.

Joemailman
01-02-2014, 10:03 PM

Cobb doesn't have rare breakaway speed. He's more quick than fast. Cobb and Hyde had very similar numbers at their respective combines in the 40. Hyde's return numbers this year were very comparable to Cobb's in the past. Cobb may be the more electric player, but Hyde gets the job done just as well.

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 10:53 PM
Playing scared is for women

There goes your membership with the Leftists

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 10:59 PM
I vote no. we have returners that have done just fine. save him for real football.

Who are these returners?

What informs you that these returners have done just fine.

Does 'just fine' usher a team through the playoffs to the Super Bowl and triumph?

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:02 PM
:)

Is sarcasm KING in the U S of A?

Where I come from it's ignorance of good manners, with some tolerance 'of course'. :grin:

mraynrand
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Who are these returners?

Hyde and Bell

woodbuck27
01-02-2014, 11:07 PM
Hyde and Bell

What informs you that these returners have done just fine.

Does 'just fine' usher a team through the playoffs to the Super Bowl and triumph?

Pugger
01-03-2014, 12:01 AM

Srsly? There is no way in hell Belichick is gonna allow his HOF caliber QB return kicks. :lol:

Rodgers12
01-03-2014, 12:10 AM
Cobb doesn't have rare breakaway speed. He's more quick than fast. Cobb and Hyde had very similar numbers at their respective combines in the 40. Hyde's return numbers this year were very comparable to Cobb's in the past. Cobb may be the more electric player, but Hyde gets the job done just as well.

Cobb is not as fast as Percy Harvin but he's faster than Hyde. I don't care what the numbers say. As for breakaway, just gotta watch some of Cobbs long runs to see it. The long gain in the 2nd half vs the Lions at Lambeau is an example.

I dunno about Hyde getting the job done as KO returner. Seems like he has only 1 good return, which would've been 6 with Cobb, and a whole lotta touchbacks and returns inside the 20. As Wallbanger stated in previously, Hyde is an OK a punt returner - not so much as a KO returner.

Rodgers12
01-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Kickoffs are thought to be the highest risk plays during the game. If you can reduce risk by having him avoid 3-5 plays a game, its a pretty reasonable precaution. Punt returners tend to take less abuse, though you can still get drilled if you are not careful.

I think, on kickoffs, injuries hit non-returners more often than the returner himself. That's why the NFL moved the up the KO line, made blocking behind the back illegal and cut off wedge blocks, etc.

This is worth the risk (check out the breakaway speed):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzDVZc1hw28

Rodgers12
01-03-2014, 12:31 AM
There goes your membership with the Leftists

What am I, Nutz? Only Nutz is allowed to discuss civics in the football forum. :)

KYPack
01-03-2014, 07:45 AM
Yeah, I got a dumb idea. Take a guy who is still recovering from a broken leg who just helped you win one of the key games in a championship season by scoring two touchdowns and have him return kick-offs? Are you shittin' me?

Why should we do this?

Because Tank and Woody think it's a ballsy move?

Don't get worried fans, 'cause it ain't gonna happen.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Srsly? There is no way in hell Belichick is gonna allow his HOF caliber QB return kicks. :lol:

With no disrespect meant:

You nailed that one Pugger.

:-) X 10 !

GO PACKERS... GO PACK GO !

Packers4Glory
01-03-2014, 09:55 AM
I like our 4 WR sets we can trot out there now. I'm not a big fan of our pass catching TE's with Fin out and Bostic out who I thought has a ton of potential. With Boykin's emergence we have 4 very good guys to throw out there for potentially huge plays. Cobb should be even better this week and more involved. Watch out for Jones....seems everyone is sleeping on him and this could be a huge game by him with the focus on Jordy and Cobb.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 10:22 AM
I like our 4 WR sets we can trot out there now. I'm not a big fan of our pass catching TE's with Fin out and Bostic out who I thought has a ton of potential. With Boykin's emergence we have 4 very good guys to throw out there for potentially huge plays. Cobb should be even better this week and more involved. Watch out for Jones....seems everyone is sleeping on him and this could be a huge game by him with the focus on Jordy and Cobb.

Exactly...good stuff.

GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
01-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I got a dumb idea. Take a guy who is still recovering from a broken leg who just helped you win one of the key games in a championship season by scoring two touchdowns and have him return kick-offs? Are you shittin' me?

Why should we do this?

But when he blows out his knee we can hammer MM all offseason. Think of the endless discussion.

Joemailman
01-03-2014, 11:27 AM
But when he blows out his knee we can hammer MM all offseason. Think of the endless discussion.

Or we could blame Slocum.

HarveyWallbangers
01-03-2014, 12:29 PM
He could blow his knee out on a pass route--like he did earlier in the year. MM has tended to be cautious in the regular season, but goes for broke in the playoffs (Cobb, Woodson on returns). I agree with him. If it were a regular season game, I wouldn't put Cobb on returns. It's the playoffs. If he's healthy enough and better than Hyde (which I think he is on KOR but not so much on PR), throw him out there.

pbmax
01-03-2014, 01:10 PM
Woodson was the safe hands guy and under orders not to take risks and get blasted. He mostly went down quickly.

Cobb's hand might be more unreliable than Hyde's.

Packers4Glory
01-03-2014, 02:22 PM
I'll keep Hyde on the job. He's done some good things and has been pretty reliable. I'm not risking Cobb.

Unlike a couple years ago, I'd be willing to stick Tramon back out there for punts. But now really is not the time to be getting cute.

bobblehead
01-03-2014, 02:25 PM
I am always on record as preferring the guy who has practiced at something being the guy we count on.

woodbuck27
01-03-2014, 10:47 PM

Why should we do this?

I didn't say I thought that was a ballsy move or anything else move KY. Why do you imagine I did? I went over this thread and cannot even find a post where such could be implied. I wouldn't agree that MM and the ST coach got it right if they did elect to us Randall Cobb for such duty at this time so soon after returning from his broken leg.

I would cringe if he was handling such assignments.

I did ask for clarification on which players on the roster are doing 'just fine' handling the KO and punt return responsibilities. That's as far as I went with it.

KYPack
01-03-2014, 11:19 PM
I took your "just fine" comment to mean you wanted Randall back there on KR bc the other guys we've had doing that weren't up to snuff.

Then I noticed Harvey posted that he's like 18 lugging back kick-offs.

So maybe it just ain't the lunatic fringe that thinks it's a good idea.

I hate the whole concept.

Randall has so much talent, guts, brains, leadership, etc that you have to keep him in that slot and reading the defenses, making plays.

The guy won the game that got us here.

Other players must play on returns, we can't spare 18 for that duty.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2014, 02:55 AM
Woodson was the safe hands guy and under orders not to take risks and get blasted. He mostly went down quickly.

Cobb's hand might be more unreliable than Hyde's.

I said keep Hyde on punt returns. He's had reliable hands. I don't think it's much of an issue on kickoff returns.

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2014, 02:58 AM
I took your "just fine" comment to mean you wanted Randall back there on KR bc the other guys we've had doing that weren't up to snuff.

Randall has so much talent, guts, brains, leadership, etc that you have to keep him in that slot and reading the defenses, making plays.

Again, he could get hurt at any time--being it the 70 offensive plays or the few kickoff returns he'd be on. I don't remember too many guys getting hurt on kickoff returns. Plus, he may not get the chance to even return any with the kickoff spot moved up. However, I like the threat of him back there. I want my game breaker getting the ball as much as possible. Hell, the Vikings used to put Randy Moss on returns in big spots. Same with Adrian Peterson.

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 07:11 AM

Good Day KY. Yes.

If I recall it correctly we had a discussion late last season and replacing Randall Cobb for KO and punt return duty. The danger involved in losing him to such.

We saw Jeremy Ross emerge for such duty last season and if MM lost confidence in Ross. Randall Cobb was called for such duty again. We saw this happen in our playoff loss to the San Fran 49ers last season.

In Jeremy Ross's last game as a Packer. The 34-30 come from behind win in Cincy by the Bengals. We saw that Randall Cobb was again pressed into duty to handle a punt about the mid way point in the 3rd Qtr. of that game. Before the game was over MM went back to Jeremy Ross. WR/KR Jeremy Ross even caught a pass to secure a first down for the Packers later in that game.

After the bye week and in the next game Vs the Detroit Lions we saw Micah Hyde and Randall Cobb share punt return duty.

MM again uses Micah Hyde and Randall Cobb for punt returns in the 19-17 win in Baltimore Oct. 13, 2013. This is the game where the Packers lost Randall Cobb after being struck on his right knee on a tackle by Matt Elam.

10/15/2013 Randall Cobb Injured-Reserve (DFR) Fractured right fibula

It's ahead of us what MM will do in regards of a returner (KO's and punts ) come tomorrow. I've no idea what MM will elect to do there. Based in the past, MM will switch up kick return duties depended on the game situation or what he feels.

GO PACKERS...GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
01-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Again, he could get hurt at any time--being it the 70 offensive plays or the few kickoff returns he'd be on. I don't remember too many guys getting hurt on kickoff returns. Plus, he may not get the chance to even return any with the kickoff spot moved up. However, I like the threat of him back there. I want my game breaker getting the ball as much as possible. Hell, the Vikings used to put Randy Moss on returns in big spots. Same with Adrian Peterson.

Holmgren put Brooks and Freeman in there from time to time after Howard left for the greener pastures of Oakland, and Brooks was coming back from that total knee blow out. (well, I'm certain about Brooks, but am guessing about Freeman).

Rodgers12
01-04-2014, 01:12 PM
Deion Sanders was an All-Pro shutdown corner and he returned kicks and played offense. Think Belichick regrets putting Gronk on ST last season? Nope. Players play.

Playing scared and conservatively achieve little in football and in life. Look at me. While NOT conservative by nature, I haven't gotten laid since Super Bowl 31. I am too scared to talk to girls.

pbmax
01-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Deion Sanders was an All-Pro shutdown corner and he returned kicks and played offense. Think Belichick regrets putting Gronk on ST last season? Nope. Players play.

Playing scared and conservatively achieve little in football and in life. Look at me. While NOT conservative by nature, I haven't gotten laid since Super Bowl 31. I am too scared to talk to girls.

Sanders returned kicks for only four years. None of those were 10 weeks after a fractured fibula. And he was often NOT the sole returner on the team, believe it or not.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SandDe00.htm

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 04:10 PM

I had a buddy that got laid more than JFK and he simply was aggressive.

Arm yourself with the five magic words:

Do You want to (fill the blank) !?

Ask that of 100 women politely while smiling and I guarantee your into your grocery money in condoms.

You also need to have a fast defense and accept that sometimes you'll get bounced if the bouncer doesn't like that smile.