PDA

View Full Version : Ice Bowl II

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Jan. 20, 2008, the third coldest game in NFL History with a game time temperature of minus one degree and wind chills of -40. Brett Favre’s final game as a Green Bay Packer.

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/NY-AR535_SPRTS__G_20101223185740.jpg
Near death experience for Giants coach.

http://packersinsider.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/giants-favre-int.jpg
The pick.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/3508/932674-favre_after_int.jpg

red
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM
that was only the 5th coldest game in nfl history

the game sunday looks like it might come in 2nd all time only behind the original ice bowl at -13

red
01-03-2014, 07:22 PM
oh, and fucking brett and his classic end of season int's

ultimate boom or bust player. guy could make the most unbelievable play you've even seen in your life. then follow it up with the most mind numbing stupid decision you've ever witnessed

of course, thats what made him so much fun to watch

Old School
01-03-2014, 07:50 PM
In the game against the Giants, it was obvious Burt couldn't get off the field fast enough. He'd have been pissed if the Giant player dropped the INT. I remember a similar game in Chicago.

Harlan Huckleby
01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I remember Donald Driver had some circus catches, but one of the big Giants receivers ass-raped the Packer secondary. He also caught a lot passes.

But the main thing I remember - other than Coughlin's purple face - was the Packers looked liked the team uncomfortable in the cold. (BTW, why would they play an outdoor game in the cold in night time? The game Sunday should be played at noon, the sun makes a difference.) That game is a cautionary tale that the 49ers are not going to necessarily be at a great disadvantage. It's not like the Packers practice in the cold.

Guiness
01-03-2014, 11:42 PM
I remember Donald Driver had some circus catches, but one of the big Giants receivers ass-raped the Packer secondary. He also caught a lot passes.

But the main thing I remember - other than Coughlin's purple face - was the Packers looked liked the team uncomfortable in the cold. (BTW, why would they play an outdoor game in the cold in night time? The game Sunday should be played at noon, the sun makes a difference.) That game is a cautionary tale that the 49ers are not going to necessarily be at a great disadvantage. It's not like the Packers practice in the cold.

My thoughts too. Why the hell is this game not being played at 1pm, either Saturday or Sunday.

Went sledding at a local hill today. Got there, beautiful conditions, lots of snow and packed down. And we were the only ones there. Did about 5 runs and went home. No one wants to be outside in this crap!

Freak Out
01-03-2014, 11:42 PM
Fuck Plastico Burress....I wish he would have shot himself in the face and not the leg.

bobblehead
01-04-2014, 07:11 AM

Word is they have been practicing some outdoors. YAYYY!!!!

bobblehead
01-04-2014, 07:12 AM
In the game against the Giants, it was obvious Burt couldn't get off the field fast enough. He'd have been pissed if the Giant player dropped the INT. I remember a similar game in Chicago.

Hope your just being dramatic. I hammer burt as much as anyone, but I could never buy into he didn't want another trip to the superbowl. He did what he always did later in his career. Instead of taking the underneath wide open route, he went for the gusto. LAY IT UP ROY!!!

bobblehead
01-04-2014, 07:13 AM

Incidentally we got the later game again. Only worse decision would have been the really late game on Saturday.

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 07:26 AM
Jan. 20, 2008, the third coldest game in NFL History with a game time temperature of minus one degree and wind chills of -40. Brett Favre’s final game as a Green Bay Packer.

Ahh come on Brett...you had better options.

A rather historic photo of Brett Favre in his final moments as the Green Bay Packer starting QB.

GO PACKERS...GO PACK GO !

bobblehead
01-04-2014, 07:30 AM
Lets create a new historic memory. If I recall, Dallas didn't come back to Lambeau for 20+ years after the ice bowl. Lets hand those cali boys their asses and send them home knowing they were on the wrong end of history.

pbmax
01-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Hope your just being dramatic. I hammer burt as much as anyone, but I could never buy into he didn't want another trip to the superbowl. He did what he always did later in his career. Instead of taking the underneath wide open route, he went for the gusto. LAY IT UP ROY!!!

I do not appreciate people trying to determine what's on a person's mind from body language or posture (Cam Newtown: his head towel means he petulant!) but there were two games that year (at Chicago was the other) where he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on the field.

Don't know what it was, play calls, mad at his line, whatever, but he was not happy in the second half.

bobblehead
01-04-2014, 07:47 AM
I do not appreciate people trying to determine what's on a person's mind from body language or posture (Cam Newtown: his head towel means he petulant!) but there were two games that year (at Chicago was the other) where he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but on the field.

Don't know what it was, play calls, mad at his line, whatever, but he was not happy in the second half.

I agree that it was cold and sucked, but honestly, it was the NFCC game. I have trouble believing he wanted anything more than he wanted a win.

denverYooper
01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
Word is they have been practicing some outdoors. YAYYY!!!!

Yeah, at least according to the beat writers. It sounds like M3 has changed his tune. I don't think it will be a huge advantage, but it should help the Packers more than the 49ers. A body makes subtle physiological adaptations to cold that you can only get by being in it.

I'm do a lot of open water swims out here and know several Channel swimmers. In order to prepare for several hours in 50 degree water, they seek out mountain lakes of increasingly colder temperature and force themselves to spend an hour at a time in them to get themselves prepared not just mentally, but physically. The body develops extra adipose layers (even in very thin swimmers) in response to the cold weather, aiding in insulation from the cold.

The Giants were a bad matchup that day in the NFCC. They were from a more Northern clime. I thought that much also was made of them practicing outside for that game while the Packers worked inside. Does anyone else remember that?

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 08:57 AM
Lets create a new historic memory. If I recall, Dallas didn't come back to Lambeau for 20+ years after the ice bowl. Lets hand those cali boys their asses and send them home knowing they were on the wrong end of history.

'YOU' know it !

GO PACKERS...GO PACK GO !!!!

red
01-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Yeah, at least according to the beat writers. It sounds like M3 has changed his tune. I don't think it will be a huge advantage, but it should help the Packers more than the 49ers. A body makes subtle physiological adaptations to cold that you can only get by being in it.

i think it helps show the players just how difficult and cold it will be. they know how slick the ball will be, and hopefully they know better then to try and look tough and go sleeveless. they had two days of outdoor practice on thursday and friday. hopefully they were using the time to pick out the right gloves and warm weather gear

i don't think spending two days in the cold will make sunday seem not so brutal, but i hope it gave them an idea of how to function in the brutal cold

gbgary
01-04-2014, 09:17 AM

everyone open but the man he threw to. painful reminder.

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 09:21 AM
i think it helps show the players just how difficult and cold it will be. they know how slick the ball will be, and hopefully they know better then to try and look tough and go sleeveless. they had two days of outdoor practice on thursday and friday. hopefully they were using the time to pick out the right gloves and warm weather gear

i don't think spending two days in the cold will make sunday seem not so brutal, but i hope it gave them an idea of how to function in the brutal cold

That's such good news.

**Their saying that the Temp. will be a high of -5 F.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTVWaOWENQs1P-S1sCCcrYe34Ribq8QZd1hvwPoT1CBk6UST5hU

Dress BETTER Than That Guy Did !

GO PACKERS...GO PACK GO !

** Update:

It may go as high as a balmy +5 F.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM

A rather historic photo of Brett Favre in his final moments as the Green Bay Packer starting QB.
Yes, and prophetic. As the superstars face opposite directions, so did their lives proceed in strangely different directions. Strahan co-hosts a morning talk show for the ladies, and Favre has survived the world's most famous selfie and landed on his feet as a high school football coach.

woodbuck27
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Yes, and prophetic. As the superstars face opposite directions, so did their lives proceed in strangely different directions. Strahan co-hosts a morning talk show for the ladies, and Favre has survived the world's most famous selfie and landed on his feet as a high school football coach.

This is somewhat surprizing to me RE: Michael Strahan:

" On February 2, 2013, Strahan failed to get voted into The Pro Football Hall of Fame.

2013 is his first year of eligibility." LINK **

** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Strahan

List of Class of 2013 semifinalists:

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2012/11/30/2013-Semifinalists-for-Football-Hall-of-Fame/

Finalists for Class of 2013 01/11/2013

http://www.profootballhof.com/enshrinement/2013/1/11/2013-Finalists-for-Football-Hall-of-Fame/

Class of 2013

" Seven legends – Larry Allen, Cris Carter, Curley Culp, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Dave Robinson, and Warren Sapp – were formally inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame during a memorable enshrinement ceremony held inside Canton’s Fawcett Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013.` ... "

http://www.profootballhof.com/class-of-2013.aspx

denverYooper
01-04-2014, 11:20 AM

Yeah. I'm hoping it gives them the edge in turnovers. I'm just praying for Kaepernick to turn the ball over 2-3 times.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2014, 12:05 PM
I'm just praying for Kaepernick to turn the ball over 2-3 times.

Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, WI. Rodgers in Chico, CA.

I expect the betting line will move if this fact comes to light.

Pugger
01-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Kaepernick was born in Milwaukee, WI. Rodgers in Chico, CA.

I expect the betting line will move if this fact comes to light.

But Kaepernick grew up in CA. He moved there when he was 4 I think.

Harlan Huckleby
01-04-2014, 12:11 PM

Yes, but most imprinting occurs before the age of 2. Beer-fed Milwaukee infants are frequently left on snow banks for hours to toughen them up. Some of those "tattoos" on Kaepernick are actually the residue of early frost bite.

red
01-04-2014, 12:14 PM
LOL

i think it has more to do with drunken parents forgeting their kids out in the snow bank

woodbuck27
01-05-2014, 09:54 AM
LOL

i think it has more to do with drunken parents forgeting their kids out in the snow bank

Yea ...those kids grew up tough.

The rub is that they likely never got to play organized football. Get a scholarship to go to College and play on the varsity football team. Star on the team and get recognized by Scouts and NFL Experts. Get drafted and make an NFL team.

The tough kids never qualified to be the type of football player we need to see in Green Bay.

KYPack
01-05-2014, 09:56 AM

Born in Milwaukee, raised in Fon du Lac, then to Cally (Nowhere near Fresno, I hope).

Bossman641
01-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Yes, but most imprinting occurs before the age of 2. Beer-fed Milwaukee infants are frequently left on snow banks for hours to toughen them up. Some of those "tattoos" on Kaepernick are actually the residue of early frost bite.

Lol