PDA

View Full Version : Unsubstantiated Rumor : Woodson close to signing w/GB

motife
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
This is just a rumor I've read at other forums. Zero confirmation it's true. Evidently sports talk 107.5 in NE Wisconsin is going with the rumor.

4 year deal with $10 million up front.

FavreChild
04-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Unsubstantiated rumors are the best kind. :mrgreen:

jack's smirking revenge
04-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Our secondary is gonna RAWK with Rod Woodson signed.

(I thought he retired...)

:D

tyler

BENZITO
04-13-2006, 04:06 PM
If that rumor is true and the amount of money is correct i would believe that woodson would jump on that. I see no way the TB could match that offer, but i could be mistake. Hopefully its true, id love to see CW here, i think he would make a great addition and upgrade the our secondary instantly.

jack's smirking revenge
04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
I'd love to see him step into the GB secondary and prove he has no long-term, lingering problems from his injury and that the Raidaz made a big mistake. Wouldn't it be nice if it worked out like that?

Fun rumor. Thanks for posting.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2006, 04:14 PM
I can't get excited about Woodson. That's not to say it would be a bad use of the cap room, there may be nothing out there better.

I'd rather nab Arrington, I think they need more help at pass rush than secondary.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Gotta love rumors. I list you gave us your sources.
:D

With Ted Thompson, I'll believe it when Woodson is giving his first press conference in Green Bay.

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 04:15 PM
I can't get excited about Woodson. That's not to say it would be a bad use of the cap room, there may be nothing out there better.

I'd rather nab Arrington, I think they need more help at pass rush than secondary.

Financially, Thompson could get both, but we know that ain't going to happen.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 04:16 PM
That is a rumor that I like.

Let's see how good we are tracking this one down.

Charles Woodson in Green Bay gives us real hope and we need that.Now lets make sure that Lavar Arrington doesn't slip away, if we can possibly get him and the risks weigh in OUR favor. These two players plus Ryan Pickett and Marquand Manual and resigning Kampman all make TT look good.

All that, give's us at least some hope, and one or the other we have to sign Woodson or Arrington. We have the money for a good reason ! Let's use it for that.

jack's smirking revenge
04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Like you guys, I won't get excited about Woodson or Arrington either until a press conference happens. And an unsubstantiated rumor is pretty much worthless. But, hey, at least there's some positive buzz by someone. It's not like the Packers organization itself is going to throw some positivity our way and let us see what's going on behind the curtain.

I wonder if Woodson is waiting for Favre, similar to Arrington.

tyler

Harlan Huckleby
04-13-2006, 04:19 PM
I think the defense is really coming together.

The only positions that are set on offense are tackle & maybe tight end. That's pretty shakey.

woodbuck27
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM

Yes right Arrington over Woodson but Arrington's price will be higher and that will be a factor but Ted has got to do something.

It's been too dead. I want to see Ted Thompson's pulse.

No Mo Moss
04-13-2006, 04:36 PM
If either of those guys is going to be signed it will have to be in the next 3 days I would imagine because we are now getting too close to the draft. It seems like every year at this time all FA activity stops as GM's are looking at talent in the draft.

BF4MVP
04-13-2006, 04:50 PM

Financially, Thompson could get both, but we know that ain't going to happen.
uhhhh no we don't

motife
04-13-2006, 04:52 PM
Here's the rumor mongers :

http://mb16.scout.com/fpackersfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22069.topic

http://mb16.scout.com/fpackersfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22066.topic

http://mb16.scout.com/fpackersfansfrm1.showMessage?topicID=22058.topic

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 05:18 PM
uhhhh no we don't

How do you figure we don't? We have $19-20M cap space available. We need $7M to sign rookies. That leaves $12-13M of unused cap space. Woodson might get something that averages $5M/year for 5 years, but you know the last year or two is going to have a big number. I figure any likely deal that gets done would have a cap figure of no more than $4M this year. Arrington might get something a little better, but that still leaves ~$7M for the rookies and ~$5M to go into the season with.

Brian Williams got a 6y/$32M deal with Jacksonville with a $10M signing bonus, but the cap number for 2006 is only $2.7M.

Andre Carter got a 6y/$30M deal with San Francicso the cap number for 2006 is around $4M.

Will Witherspoon got a 6y/$33M deal with St. Louis with a $10.5M signing bonus, but his cap number for 2006 is only $3.75M.

We are in a position to offer more up-front money than that even. It's not so bad to backload a contract a little bit--you just don't want to have the deal kill you if the guy gets cut after 3 years. Some big numbers at the back end looks good for the player and agent, but realistically the player won't see all of that money.

Partial
04-13-2006, 05:19 PM
see, but would you rather he sign arrington now or get someone better and more reliable when they have more depth and are a competitive team? spending money when you're bad is not necessarily a good idea. Keep in mind by getting so close to the cap this year they won't have the money to sign anyone next..

HarveyWallbangers
04-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Arrington is only 27. Woodson is 29. They should be around in 2-3 years when this team is winning again. Plus, in the NFL you never throw away a season. Look at all of the teams that came out of nowhere. I think there was something like 5 new division winners last year from the year before (New England, Indianapolis, and Seattle were the only repeat winners). You get the right players, stay healthy, and get on a roll early in the year, and anything can happen.

Partial
04-13-2006, 05:30 PM
But, if you're going to spend the big bucks, are you sure you want your cap money tied up in these guys? I don't know that they're the right people

Rastak
04-13-2006, 06:04 PM
But, if you're going to spend the big bucks, are you sure you want your cap money tied up in these guys? I don't know that they're the right people'

But if you have a shitload of free cap, what's the huge risk? If you front load it it's even less....still a waste of money but no future impact.....

GBRulz
04-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Harv, I think BF4 was saying "no we don't" to the comment that he replied to. Meaning "no, we don't know that TT won't sign both of them".

MacCool606
04-13-2006, 09:24 PM
First post for me - Hi all - I've been laying in the weeds waiting to stike - maybe now's the time......If TT gets Arrington (and/or Woodson) and he gets hurt (ala Joe Johnson) and never produces - will TT be an idiot for signing him? Can TT win?

It seems to me that when TT has gone after someone (Pickett, Ben Taylor)he has landed them. I'm not sure I like how he's handling some of the issues, but I don't know what's going on behind the scenes either)

I used to follow most of you guys on JSO and need to thank you for allowing me to walk around and talk like I knew alot about the Packers - Keep it up!

K-town
04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
Welcome Mac. Excellent signature. :mrgreen:

CyclonePackFan
04-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Also welcome Mac.

I don't think it would matter who the GM is, when a "big-name" player comes in and pulls a Joe Johnson, it goes down in history as a stupid move. If Reggie White had blown out his knee shortly after coming to GB and stopped producing, I'm sure people would have blamed Ron Wolf, especially considering the magnitude of Reggie's contract. Such is the life of a GM in the NFL, and it really makes you realize why they're so hesitant sometimes, especially when a player has baggage. Even the best intentions can go wrong. I mean, look at the Vikings. With that huge guaranteed contract they gave to Huchinson, imagine what happens if he gets seriously hurt...just imagine...just imagine....y'know, I'll be right back. I've got something I need to, um...take care of...

*grabs baseball bat and heads to car*

Partial
04-13-2006, 10:20 PM
But if you have a shitload of free cap, what's the huge risk? If you front load it it's even less....still a waste of money but no future impact.....

It is a risk. A big risk. I think I'd rather wait for a sure thing next year when they're a year closer to winning then signing guys now that may not help when the Packers are ready to turn the corner

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 07:09 AM
I say he get's both Woody and Arry. Then he drafts Hawk, second pick the best DE left. Unless Mario by some waving of the wand is still at #5. Then the reverse draft is true. After that, he takes a WR and a guard.

Then he lies in wait, just waiting to pounce like a vicious carnivour. He is waiting for June 2nd. Then he picks off another WR and guard. He will also take a centre, somewhere, but it won't be a big name.

Our walk on centre from last year has by then, so impressed in training camp, that we're not sure to start Wells or White.

Of course, he and M3 have shared all this with Favre by now, and, TT has asked Favre to shut up about his decsion to come back. The marketing department has done some focus group surveys and the data has indicated that merchandise sales increase proportionatately when fans perceive good news to come after longer "drought" periods.

Deputy Nutz
04-14-2006, 07:50 AM
In America we say, "Center"

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 07:57 AM

Well, if I ever write in America, I will say "center", too.

jack's smirking revenge
04-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Welcome Mac! Thanks for joining the party!

tyler

Patler
04-14-2006, 09:27 AM
MacCool;

Want to sell your avatar?
Can I beat you up and take it from you?
:lol:

motife
04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
further "fog of war" :

http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=31701&catID=7&sessionID={0D925C0C-6A2D-4C35-9B08-DD6BF489DE02}

"I dont normally post information I dont find out myself, but I wanted to let you knwo that Tampa radio reported this morning that Woodson is 90% sure he was going to sign with Tampa Bay. He said he is hesitant to transition to safety, but he didnt feel that Green Bay was serious in their pursuit."

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Saw that, too Motife. It's still O.K. to dream.

Guiness
04-14-2006, 10:38 AM
With the cap space, a Joe Johnson type of thing shouldn't happen. The reason that hurt us so bad was because it was a regular contract with a signing bonus, and the cap hit that showed up on the books the next couple of years was significant.

With the available money, TT could structure something like this for either player:
5yr contract
$500K signing
$10 million '06 roster bonus
$2 million/year

If they bomb out, and get cut next offseason, they count $400K against next year's cap, done and finished. Sure, they count huge bucks on this year's cap, but who cares, the $$$ are there. OTOH if they work out, we get a cheap ($2mil/year) top notch player for 4 more years.

*These numbers do not relect the actual amounts either player may sign for. They were used because they're easily divisible by 5!*

Ya, you're also too lazy to put the 'u' in colour, and wouldn't what to do if I told you use the couch.

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 10:42 AM
I've said it before, but I hate the front loaded scheme on players with hold out potential, and Arrington has some character flaws.

Wood Woody be considered "flawed"?

Guiness
04-14-2006, 11:03 AM
You're right Tarlam. I've brought that up before...a couple of years from now, the bonus is long gone, the player looks at his annual salary and says Only two million? You've got to be kidding me!

It's kind of the What have you done for me lately scenario. Think JW remembers the $$$ he was handed before the first time he stepped onto the field?

Tarlam!
04-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Yah, Guiness, that's the problem. They should go to annual or two year contracts for the league. That way, there's a lot of FAs, but, you ante up and it's a short term hit.

Exception is draft and undrafted rookies. They have a maximum of 6 years on their first NFL contract. But, it is guaranteed money, so even if they get cut, they get paid. No more Walker shit.

Keep the Franchise and Transitition Tag, but, it's a one time per player limit.

That would suit everybody, even the lawyers!

Patler
04-14-2006, 11:21 AM
You're right Tarlam. I've brought that up before...a couple of years from now, the bonus is long gone, the player looks at his annual salary and says Only two million? You've got to be kidding me!

It's kind of the What have you done for me lately scenario. Think JW remembers the $$$ he was handed before the first time he stepped onto the field?

The only way to avoid the Walker-type bad feelings is to have high salaries and no bonus of any kind. The player isn't any happier in later years if it was a signing bonus than if it was a roster bonus. BUT, players want the bonuses because its guaranteed whereas salaries aren't.

Still the Packers can protect future years by using a 2006 roster bonus for whatever portion of the contract would have been a signing bonus. The player is no more or less happy now or in the future, but there is no significant cap effect in the future if he is cut.

Partial
04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Thats why you put a clause saying if they voluntarily miss any mini camp or training camp they have to repay the big bucks. But, they get 10 mil in guaranteed money in one year. They would be like hell yeah man!

BF4MVP
04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
Harv, I think BF4 was saying "no we don't" to the comment that he replied to. Meaning "no, we don't know that TT won't sign both of them".
You are correct, GBM.

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 05:29 PM
But, if you're going to spend the big bucks, are you sure you want your cap money tied up in these guys? I don't know that they're the right people

I don't really like this argument because TT has been sitting on his @ss the whole offseason when he had his choice of who to try to sign.

So now that everybody's gone, it's hard for me to accept the reasoning that if we are going to tie money up, would these be the guys. There are several other FA's I'd have preferred to have that the Turtle didn't pursue, starting with Will Witherspoon who signed with the poor Rams at 32MIL for 6 years. Front load that deal and we have an proven, and up and coming LB with speed entering his prime at age 26.

Bretsky
04-14-2006, 05:33 PM
further "fog of war" :

http://www2.jsonline.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=31701&catID=7&sessionID={0D925C0C-6A2D-4C35-9B08-DD6BF489DE02}

"I dont normally post information I dont find out myself, but I wanted to let you knwo that Tampa radio reported this morning that Woodson is 90% sure he was going to sign with Tampa Bay. He said he is hesitant to transition to safety, but he didnt feel that Green Bay was serious in their pursuit."

WAS TANK RIGHT ABOUT TT FROM THE START ???

Not serious ?

Oh Polar Bear, Oh Polar Bear, Wherefore art thou Polar Bear ?

FavreChild
04-14-2006, 07:43 PM

For the record, I can't find any confirmation of this statement on the Bucs board...so I'm more inclined to believe motife's original rumor.

"Look at all these rumors surroundin' me every day..."