PDA

View Full Version : Don't know 'bout studs, but Duds

QBME
01-05-2014, 07:16 PM
M'fn James Jone...right on his m'fn hands twice....

Brandon494
01-05-2014, 07:17 PM
LMAO

Iron Mike
01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
LMAO

Fuck, is he white???

Brandon494
01-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Fuck, is he white???

Race card is getting old sir.

QBME
01-05-2014, 07:22 PM

No shit, bad hands , period.

Iron Mike
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Yeah, right. Let's see Jermichael Droppass tear up the NFL next year..

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM
Studs

Lacy=Beast
Mike Daniels - Dude never quits
Tramon - Got the Packers back in it with INT

Duds

James Jones - 2 key drops
Hyde - Didn't take advantage of opportunity to win game.

Brandon494
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Dud...MM play calling with 1st and goal inside the 10. Not getting a TD there cost us the game and I knew it as soon as it happened.

QBME
01-05-2014, 07:26 PM
Studs

Lacy=Beast
Mike Daniels - Dude never quits
Tramon - Got the Packers back in it with INT

Didn't mean to start a shit storm, but yeah, Tramon an absolute stud.

red
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Dud...MM play calling with 1st and goal inside the 10. Not getting a TD there cost us the game and I knew it as soon as it happened.

yup, didn't play for the win. he played it safe and played for the tie and overtime

AGAIN

SMBASS
01-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Tramon playing better at the end of the season creates another enigma. For the majority of the season he wasn't worth anywhere near the 8 mil. plus he was paid this year. If you keep him and continue to pay him that high salary again next year what are you going to get? The Tramon from the first 13 or 14 games or the Tramon from the last 3 or 4 games. Ever since he signed the big contract and then hurt his shoulder he just hasn't been worth the coin he's been making IMO.

red
01-05-2014, 07:32 PM
james starks once again should have had a bigger game then he had. how do we continue to not give him more carries?

PA Pack Fan
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
james starks once again should have had a bigger game then he had. how do we continue to not give him more carries?
+1

Bossman641
01-05-2014, 07:33 PM
Stud - run D

Dud - third down offense, third down defense

SMBASS
01-05-2014, 07:34 PM
yup, didn't play for the win. he played it safe and played for the tie and overtime

AGAIN

I'd like to see us get a real offensive coordinator, (Not just a figurehead.) and have MM turn the play calling duties over to that person. He never figured out our redzone problems this year or how to utilize the new running game and I think he's become too damn predictable.

digitaldean
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM

MM outsmarted himself on that sequence. We were running the ball effectively in the 2nd half. At least one of the plays could have used Lacy. The way he was running over people, he could've gotten in.

PA Pack Fan
01-05-2014, 07:37 PM
He is totally predictable.

Rodgers12
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Duds:

Morgan Burnett: Was late on the TD to Davis - Hawk can't cover worth a lick but a better and faster safety woulda picked it off. The guy's average at best. Dunno why some folks are still having hard-ons for him.

Hyde: Pass was a bit high but no excuse. Its the fucking playoffs. Make the pick!

Capers: I loath unemployment, but it is time to fire Capers and his defensive staff. These guys make 6 figures or more yearly, so they'll be fine til their next gag. I am officially in favor of hiring Jim Schwartz to run to defense.

red
01-05-2014, 07:39 PM
Stud - run D

you think? gore only had 66 yards, but kap had almost 100

i guess it depends on if QB scrambles on busted passes plays should count against the run D or not

cause 66 yards given up is good, 160 is not

Iron Mike
01-05-2014, 07:42 PM
How 'bout this question? Is MM over his head? He hasn't outsmarted a single coach sinch 2010???

woodbuck27
01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
This loss is on Mike McCarthy.

he's now 6-5 in the playoffs and in a huge game he can't coach a lick.

He has to go. He never learns to stick with what is working.

We lost this game because the team scores a lousy 20 points. Who would have predicted that?

Noone.

This from the offensive genius 'the guru of offense', Mike McCarthy.

Just another one and out in the playoffs. Do we wait and see the same next season? What's that .... but three straight one and outs. Do we cheer for four straight. I sure don't want any possibility of that.

Mike McCarthy has to be accountable or TT needs to FIRE him. I expect to see MM before a microphone soon with his head hanging. This is a 'no brainer'. MM has to demonstrate real pain over his brain freez's today.

I want a better head coach.

Rutnstrut
01-05-2014, 07:45 PM
How 'bout this question? Is MM over his head? He hasn't outsmarted a single coach sinch 2010???

YES!!!!

Brandon494

Did Philbin call the plays when he was here?

oldbutnotdeadyet
Let's face it, mm is only an average head coach.

Rutnstrut
01-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Let's face it, mm is only an average head coach.

We don't have to face it, TT does, and he never will.

red
01-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Did Philbin call the plays when he was here?

i seriously doubt it

offensive minded head coaches almost always call their own plays

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 07:49 PM

i guess it depends on if QB scrambles on busted passes plays should count against the run D or not

I don't know. People always wanted to discount QB scrambles when looking at Green Bay's running game before this year. Which reminds me: Damn Bush giving up the outside on 3rd and 8.

Rodgers12
01-05-2014, 07:54 PM

We lost this game because the team scores a lousy 20 points. Who would have predicted that?

Noone.

Just another one and out in the playoffs. Do we wait and see the same next season. What's that three straight. Do we cheer for four straight. I sure don't.

Mike McCarthy has to be accountable or TT needs to FIRE him. I expect to see MM before a microphone soon with his head hanging.

I am not a big fan of McCarthy, either, but I don't think he's going anywhere. He's Thompson BFF on the team. Maybe if the Packers go 4-12 next season.

More likely, Capers and his staff will get canned. I want Jim Schwartz! :evil:

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 07:56 PM

Noone.

Just another one and out in the playoffs. Do we wait and see the same next season. What's that three straight. Do we cheer for four straight. I sure don't.

Mike McCarthy has to be accountable or TT needs to FIRE him. I expect to see MM before a microphone soon with his head hanging.

You have to be kidding me. Guy has flaws but he's a top5 HC.

hoosier
01-05-2014, 07:57 PM
You guys calling for McCarthy's head are hilarious. You have been spoiled by the Packers three-decade run of success (minus a few Rhodes and Sherman years) and don't remember what a bad team looks like. Well, if you have your way, chances are you will see one in the not too distant future. I for one expect McCarthy (and Capers) to stay and just hope that TT can re-sign Shields and find a replacement for Raji, and that we finally see a healthy team next year.

Brandon494
01-05-2014, 07:59 PM
No one is calling for his head but his play calling inside the 10 cost us the game imo.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 08:03 PM
You guys calling for McCarthy's head are hilarious. You have been spoiled by the Packers three-decade run of success (minus a few Rhodes and Sherman years) and don't remember what a bad team looks like. Well, if you have your way, chances are you will see one in the not too distant future. I for one expect McCarthy (and Capers) to stay and just hope that TT can re-sign Shields and find a replacement for Raji, and that we finally see a healthy team next year.

I've seen bad packer teams, and I would have to say this defense is bad. Not sure your changes fix that?

Maxie the Taxi

+1
Too many injuries this year and this game. Shields injury was huge. My only quarrel with Stubby was going for the field goal last time they had the ball. You just knew the tie score was not going to hold up.

red
i get a kick over the last caller on the radio

M3 is an under rated play called, the defense played great, everything is fine, the only problem is the o-line

the radio guy- i disagree, i think our o-line is very serviceable

ok guys, then why the fuck did we just just lay another egg in the playoffs after having a pretty average season?

oh i forget, injuries, always injuries

red
01-05-2014, 08:08 PM

i think M3 is a very middle of the road head coach, and would love for the packers to strive for more, but i don't see it happening

i can only hope that TT tries to orce M3 to fire capers and M3 tries to stick to his guns like the titans coach did

honestly, i think we could do better, we could do worse, but why settle for mediocrity and hope for another miracle run to a super bowl. because i think the only way we get back to the super bowl with M3 is if all the stars align just right

Bossman641
01-05-2014, 08:12 PM

Sorry, yes meant the run d on Gore. Kaep got his scrambling, which worried me, but without watching tape I dunno who to blame

digitaldean
01-05-2014, 08:17 PM

Noone.

Just another one and out in the playoffs. Do we wait and see the same next season? What's that .... but three straight one and outs. Do we cheer for four straight. I sure don't want any possibility of that.

Mike McCarthy has to be accountable or TT needs to FIRE him. I expect to see MM before a microphone soon with his head hanging. This is a 'no brainer'. MM has to demonstrate real pain over his brain freez's today.

Woody, I agree that the MM has his faults, especially in play calling today like the last possession when we got just a FG. But you know what, firing him is flat out silly. As someone else has pointed out, if we go 4-12 in 2014, maybe.

He kept this team together when the field general missed nearly 1/2 the season. The man didn't get stupid overnight. We won a Super Bowl title with him for a reason.

If he doesn't agree with the changes needed at ST and Defensive coordinators, then we could have a problem. But I doubt that he'll take a bullet for both of them.

I see changes needed in coordinators and certain personnel, but not the HC.

digitaldean
01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
i think M3 is a very middle of the road head coach, and would love for the packers to strive for more, but i don't see it happening

i can only hope that TT tries to orce M3 to fire capers and M3 tries to stick to his guns like the titans coach did

honestly, i think we could do better, we could do worse, but why settle for mediocrity and hope for another miracle run to a super bowl. because i think the only way we get back to the super bowl with M3 is if all the stars align just right

As I replied previously, I doubt that MM will go all Munchak on TT and take a bullet for both Slocum and Dom. If they don't make coaching changes there, the fan base is going to clamor for a big change.

MadtownPacker
01-05-2014, 08:27 PM
If Jones catches those two passes that bounced off him we would be loving the play call. The game was there for the taking several times.

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Dom's job is probably safer than Slocum's. Slocum could be the sacrifice this year.

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 08:31 PM
If Jones catches those two passes that bounced off him we would be loving the play call. The game was there for the taking several times.

This is just it. Those Jones passes, Hyde's near INT, Bush's giving up the edge, House's near miss on the FG. They played the game I thought they'd need to and had it within one play all game.

red
01-05-2014, 08:32 PM
so, we went into half time with a timeout in our pocket?

we pretty much got into FG range and didn't do too much after that. we need manage to waste a TO when the play was late coming in

and then it turns out we ate another one

M3 was playing scared today

beveaux1
01-05-2014, 08:33 PM
I really don't think any coach will be let go. Some players will be gone, but the coaches have a very ready excuse....injuries.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 08:35 PM
Dud - this season, cause it is over. Better luck to all the rats for next year.

red
01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
I really don't think any coach will be let go. Some players will be gone, but the coaches have a very ready excuse....injuries.

what was their excuse last year? and the year before

cause ST and defense sucked both those years too

injuries still?

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 08:40 PM
So the D is at fault again? How many defenders dropped in this one? Neal, Shields - am I missing anyone? Still the give up 23 point with an offense that doesn't get a first down for an entire quarter? Solid team loss, really. Needed more people to just make plays. I'm still stunned that Marshmallow Outhouse was on the field. Good Lord!

Why do we lose three starters almost every *ucking game??

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 08:41 PM

injuries still?

I don't know how you can't look at injuries. Just unreal. Every game it seems three guys bite the dust.

beveaux1
01-05-2014, 08:42 PM

injuries still?

I think that was their excuse. This year has been even worse on the injury front, but we've had lots of them for the past 4 years. In fact, we rank at the top or near the top each year. Some of it is dumb luck, and some of it may be our conservative approach to injuries.

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 08:45 PM
Dud - Clay Matthews. Is the guy ever going to play a full season?

pbmax
01-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Great seats in sect 110 except for wind tunnel behind me. Only took 1 hour to thaw out. Game start 7 degrees and was 4 at end.

Offense should have been far more productive. Lacy misread a couple of holes again and Starks needs to play more. Rodgers had backups in secondary in man and would not pull trigger multiple times.

Tramontana was all over the place. Hyde including missed int which would have sealed game was not sharp.

Fire him if you want to but capers and his d bailed out horrible o start. Offense did not return favor. Play to Cobb I need zone before fg was an abomination.

Info at stadium is terrible. What happened to shields and Neal?

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Stud - run D

Dud - third down offense, third down defense

Run D? I assume you mean other than the QB scrambles. There were also some times when they needed a stop and SF got what they needed by running the ball which was frustrating.

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Can the Packers defer home games?

red
01-05-2014, 08:51 PM
Great seats in sect 110 except for wind tunnel behind me. Only took 1 hour to thaw out. Game start 7 degrees and was 4 at end.

Offense should have been far more productive. Lacy misread a couple of holes again and Starks needs to play more. Rodgers had backups in secondary in man and would not pull trigger multiple times.

Tramontana was all over the place. Hyde including missed int which would have sealed game was not sharp.

Fire him if you want to but capers and his d bailed out horrible o start. Offense did not return favor. Play to Cobb I need zone before fg was an abomination.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

boooo this man

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MadtownPacker
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Obviously PB has suffered brain damage from the cold. How the hell can you blame Lacy? Without him this game isn't close.

Dud - PBMax

red
01-05-2014, 08:53 PM

both suffered knee injuries

shields had someone fall on him and his foot twisted around

neal got cut blocked and took a shot to the knee. didn't look bad, but he know something was wrong right away

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 08:54 PM

This is one of the reasons people stay home. If you get all confused as to what's happening it dramatically worsens the experience. Both had knee issues and were questionable. Based on the mechanism, Shields likely has a break - cheaper to sign him. Neal I did not see. Bacteria, concussion; Mulumba was also hurt for a time, be he returned in time to blow contain on Bush's pass rush.

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Can the Packers defer home games?

I just don't think being at home means that much, especially in 1st round. Home teams are 1-3 so far. Let's face it, the teams that make the playoffs know how to win on the road. That's why they're in the playoffs.

Patler
01-05-2014, 09:06 PM
There were many, many plays there to be made, and time again players failed to make them.

Yes, Jones failed to make some catches that he could have, so did Nelson, and Lacy dropped a gimme with wide open spaces in front of him. Just as culpable as Jones.

Tramon Williams failed to finish on an interception a series or two before the one he had. It's playoffs, and when a play is there to be made you have to make it. Making one later on does not absolve the earlier failure. Hyde failed late, Burnett was oh so close to an interception on the TD to Davis. Close doesn't matter, when the opportunity is there, you have to take advantage. I think House had one too.

Bakhtiari got into a shouting match with Smith at the end of the 1st half, failed to hurry to the line when they were trying to hurry up, wasting a lot of time to get the play off after a short gain (26 seconds when there was only a minute left.) Then when they finally got the play off, Bakhtiari got his hands in Smith's facemask and was penalized. He needed to keep his cool. Earlier in that drive, Rodgers had to use a timeout when they couldn't get lined up correctly. With those screw-ups, they couldn't get set for good end of drive plays, and they had to settle for a FG. A TD would have been big.

All things you have to do to win playoff games. You aren't going to make all of the plays that are there to be made, but the Packers didn't make enough of them to win.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2014, 09:15 PM
duds - all the posters who are treating this game like a debacle, when the team lost by 3 points to a far superior team. The San Fran QB had all day to sit back there. The Packer linebackers were all injured, except for iron man Hawk. There were no clever schemes to win this game. Rodgers nearly won it.

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
duds - all the posters who are treating this game like a debacle, when the team lost by 3 points to a far superior team. The San Fran QB had all day to sit back there. The Packer linebackers were all injured, except for iron man Hawk. There were no clever schemes to win this game.

Packers played extremely well, with the exception of the offense in the first quarter. Like Patler said, there were a lot of opportunities left on the field, as there usually are in a ver, very close game. Almost Identical to the Giants loss in 2007, except Dawson didn't miss.

esoxx
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM

Stay home next time!!!

hoosier
01-05-2014, 09:34 PM

But isn't that pretty much the case with every team--they only get to the SB if the stars align right? How many teams have been consistently better than GB over the last five years? Even looking at the last three years, the best team in the NFC (SF) has only made it to the final game once, and they lost. Winning the SB is great but if it's your only metric for acceptable performance then you're going to be calling for your coach's head nine out ten years.

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 09:36 PM
Winning the SB is great but if it's your only metric for acceptable performance then you're going to be calling for your coach's head nine out ten years.

Or 53/53 if you're the Vikings

denverYooper
01-05-2014, 10:14 PM
But isn't that pretty much the case with every team--they only get to the SB if the stars align right? How many teams have been consistently better than GB over the last five years? Even looking at the last three years, the best team in the NFC (SF) has only made it to the final game once, and they lost. Winning the SB is great but if it's your only metric for acceptable performance then you're going to be calling for your coach's head nine out ten years.

I was just thinking about this -- the difference between today's game and the postseason in 2010 was that Hyde makes that INT that year. That first game against the Eagles was won with the defense denying Vick after the Eagles drove down the field and were in position to score. Green Bay just got the stop that day.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2014, 10:20 PM
The balls that Jones and Hyde dropped were tough catches. For a DB to catch a fast ball in below zero weather is a lot to ask. Hyde had a shot at the ball, but it was no gimme.

run pMc
01-05-2014, 10:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by red View Post

+1

+1 I was hoping M3 would give Starks more carries. Lacy's ankle injury alone was reason enough, but I thought when they gave the ball to Starks he ran fast and angry.

Carolina_Packer
01-05-2014, 10:52 PM
both suffered knee injuries

shields had someone fall on him and his foot twisted around

neal got cut blocked and took a shot to the knee. didn't look bad, but he know something was wrong right away

I think Shields was ankle. What was Malumba's injury? I think that kid could be a player.

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 10:56 PM
The balls that Jones and Hyde dropped were tough catches. For a DB to catch a fast ball in below zero weather is a lot to ask. Hyde had a shot at the ball, but it was no gimme.Jones needs to make those catches. You don't win in the playoffs by just making the easy ones.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Obviously PB has suffered brain damage from the cold. How the hell can you blame Lacy? Without him this game isn't close.

Dud - PBMax

OK, let's take a step back. Was posting from road where we stopped to un-layer and get a drink, so was using phone and couldn't elaborate. Also dropped all of my initial comments in here since it was post game but it was not a strictly dud post.

I am not calling Lacy a dud nor did I mean he needs to be sat down for Starks because there is something incurable with him. He misread a couple of runs int he game when there was more for the taking and instead head-butted a guy. Fun to see, hard to put up with 3rd and 6th when it should be 3rd and 2. He did have one great read to the outside.

Starks looked sharp but McCarthy kept calling Lacy's power stuff with him instead of strictly the zone stuff. He had one cutback that was a jump through an ankle tackle away from going to the House. He did not get enough run when he was hot.

For two drives in the first half McCarthy forgot about the run. The offense should apologize to the D for that half.

Hyde is not Hayward but I am tired of waiting for health. Someone needs to step up who actually plays.

Bach had an AWFUL time with Smith. At one point I demonstrated with my son how Bach was hold Smith by his shoulders, not the usual shoulder flap pad grab but an actual hug. I don't know how those two weren't called.

Lang was not getting much movement on his guy at times, someone in their front was giving him fits.

If there was a starter replacement for the 49ers secondary Rodgers never found him. Rodgers should have run more if coverage was that good. The first half sacks were killing whatever field position the team had.

By the way, Fire Slocum. Best return of the day with Cobb to setup their last score was followed by a PERFECT Crosby directional into the corner (six more inches and it was OOB) with hang time. The KO coverage boys let him go for 45 up the sideline they wanted him to go. Nice job.

I still don't know the diagnosis or explanation for Shields or Neal because the two idiots on the radio were driving me crazy. Did anyone notice Datone Jones being promoted to OLB in base when Mulunba went out? Had a nice bull rush from the outside. He might not have had any idea what else to do, but that tackle went backwards pretty fast.

From the game perspective the biggest problem on D? NO FREAKING PASS RUSH!!! A one man Daniels bull rush, just like Raji last year is going to let Kapernick escape.

The best pass rush all day was in the first half near the goal line on third down. Capers sent the small 'h' house and put Kapernick in a panic right away. The last two drives were unfortunate because prior to that, the 49er D wanted no more of the cold. Bowman was even declining to hit people who were already on their way down.

There is a lot you miss without you knucklehead fact checking every play and everyone in the stadium wanting a hive five after each play so I want to watch the TV version to see what I missed. I hope Troy and Joe treated you well.

Not a bad seat in that place despite what 15,000 new seats? Though the rooftop seats had to be cold and the folks in the new South end zone look pretty exposed.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2014, 11:40 PM
There were three things that stood out to me in why we didn't win. From a coaching standpoint I didn't like the fact we had neither Lacy nor Starks in the backfield on the three plays inside the 10. From a physical execution standpoint Hyde should have had the interception. From a mental execution standpoint Bush should have kept Kap contained on that final blitz. Hard to blame the defensive or ST coaches for this game. The defense played about as well as possible for the talent disparity (partly due to injuries). And it's always easy to nitpick playcalls. Hell, I thought Harbaugh almost ran Gore too much for how little he gained most of the night. However, to not have Lacy or Starks in the game at the end seemed like a glaring mistake.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:41 PM
This is one of the reasons people stay home. If you get all confused as to what's happening it dramatically worsens the experience. Both had knee issues and were questionable. Based on the mechanism, Shields likely has a break - cheaper to sign him. Neal I did not see. Bacteria, concussion; Mulumba was also hurt for a time, be he returned in time to blow contain on Bush's pass rush.

Saw Bach get knocked around on pileup and saw Mulumba go off and get replaced by Datone Jones. Cursed when I saw Newhouse coming in. People around wondered what I was upset about. I didn't mention Sherrod because I didn't want a fight at that point.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Stay home next time!!!

No way, I did my part. Harbaugh was crying for PI within 10 minutes after taking my seat. I told him off from across the field and 20 rows up and he finally shut up. :D

digitaldean
01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
There were three things that stood out to me in why we didn't win. From a coaching standpoint I didn't like the fact we had neither Lacy nor Starks in the backfield on the three plays inside the 10. From a physical execution standpoint Hyde should have had the interception. From a mental execution standpoint Bush should have kept Kap contained on that final blitz. Hard to blame the defensive or ST coaches for this game. The defense played about as well as possible for the talent disparity (partly due to injuries). And it's always easy to nitpick playcalls. Hell, I thought Harbaugh almost ran Gore too much for how little he gained most of the night. However, to not have Lacy or Starks in the game at the end seemed like a glaring mistake.
MM's playcalling was infuriating on that last possession. The run to Cobb?? Really??
Lacy and Starks were running well overall. Running them at least ONCE would have made sense.

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 11:45 PM
If I am remembering right, SF got called for 2 (5) yard penalties. Offsides and delay of game. The delay was intentional. We got called for 3 penalties, all subjective calls. For the most part the refs really let the teams play, but when it came down to it, we got called for penalties that they didn't. The hands to the face on Bak was a no call all game long. Both calls against SF had to be called as they weren't "opinion" penalties. All of ours were, and came at bad times. Its the little things that swing a 3 point game, but anyone who thinks they outplayed us badly is mistaken. They won by 3. Could have gone either way. If they get called for 3 subjective penalties (and many were committed and not called by both teams) this may have swung the other way.

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 11:49 PM
I was just thinking about this -- the difference between today's game and the postseason in 2010 was that Hyde makes that INT that year. That first game against the Eagles was won with the defense denying Vick after the Eagles drove down the field and were in position to score. Green Bay just got the stop that day.

Yup. In close games there's a whole collection of plays that can change the outcome. Just ask Chicago.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:50 PM

They obviously had another package for Cobb in the backfield as they did one of the last two games where it was successful. WHY he choose to run it at goal line is beyond me. Should have throw into end zone to stop clock or score.

Would have been slightly more sensible if they had not blown the one TO Patler mentioned where Starks was misaligned, Rodgers was calling an audible, had to then redirect Starks and ran out of time. Would have fathered he snap the ball and throw it to stop the clock rather than lose TO.

I do not agree with the McCarthy is suddenly mediocre club, but he has not handled two minute situations well this year. Especially in the red zone.

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 11:52 PM
If they get called for 3 subjective penalties (and many were committed and not called by both teams) this may have swung the other way.

like the PI on Nelson. Technically interference, but they let it go. Did not let the late tug by House go. But there was holding by EDS on the fourth and 2, by Bacteria, etc. etc.

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 11:57 PM
Bach had an AWFUL time with Smith. At one point I demonstrated with my son how Bach was hold Smith by his shoulders, not the usual shoulder flap pad grab but an actual hug. I don't know how those two weren't called.

. Did anyone notice Datone Jones being promoted to OLB in base when Mulunba went out? Had a nice bull rush from the outside. He might not have had any idea what else to do, but that tackle went backwards pretty fast.

To the bak point...they didn't call holding all day, and there was plenty of it to go around. They only called one PI penalty and that was rampant as well.

I laughed when I saw datone line up at OLB. I figured if wist and I were screaming for 3 DL all season, getting 4 was a bonus.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:57 PM
If I am remembering right, SF got called for 2 (5) yard penalties. Offsides and delay of game. The delay was intentional. We got called for 3 penalties, all subjective calls. For the most part the refs really let the teams play, but when it came down to it, we got called for penalties that they didn't. The hands to the face on Bak was a no call all game long. Both calls against SF had to be called as they weren't "opinion" penalties. All of ours were, and came at bad times. Its the little things that swing a 3 point game, but anyone who thinks they outplayed us badly is mistaken. They won by 3. Could have gone either way. If they get called for 3 subjective penalties (and many were committed and not called by both teams) this may have swung the other way.

Defense did have trouble with their pass rush and getting off the field. Lotta long drives even if they stiffened to hold them to FGs.

Really needed another TO to make up for it.

There is going to be a terrific battle for O tackle next year because neither Bach nor Barclay are ready to handle top talent in pass rush. Those jobs are open I think.

By the way, noticed something about TOP and why its not as clearly an important indicator of wear and tear as it should be. TOP can lean in one teams favor but the number of plays can vary widely depending on no-huddle, hurry-up, muddle-huddle or normal huddle. Packers got some good leverage against the 49ers in 3 WR with Lacy when they went no-huddle in the middle of the game. Had the 49ers sucking wind. On the other hand, 49ers, when they huddled or gave Packers chance to sub, really did not dent the Packers condition.

If TOP can be modified with number of plays or some other metric, it would probably yield a lot better info.

pbmax
01-05-2014, 11:58 PM
To the bak point...they didn't call holding all day, and there was plenty of it to go around. They only called one PI penalty and that was rampant as well.

I laughed when I saw datone line up at OLB. I figured if wist and I were screaming for 3 DL all season, getting 4 was a bonus.

If you are going to do something static, that guy can MOVE a tackle. He does not have the trouble with a bull rush that Clay and Nick can.

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 11:59 PM
like the PI on Nelson. Technically interference, but they let it go. Did not let the late tug by House go. But there was holding by EDS on the fourth and 2, by Bacteria, etc. etc.

Agreed, we got away with a lot as well. My point is that with a ton of it going on, they chose to drop a flag 3 times....all on the packers.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:08 AM

Of course your right and Mike McCarthy's job security and his buddy Ted Thompson. The heads of one big happy family. Everything is always 'just fine' in Green Bay'.

MM as a top five HC. That's your position. I don't mean insult but I'm at a loss as to what that has to do with his playoff results. Your position that MM is a top five NFL coach might be rationalized as it needs to be to prove your faith in him but it won't hold water with me. That might even be a stretch that's difficult to prove.

Examine MM's post season record since the Packers won the Super Bowl. Are you impressed with his 1-3 record? I don't believe you'll respond in the affirmative.

Back to the top. We're stuck with Mike McCarthy. We're stuck with his too predictable vanilla ways. We're stuck with a man that has his play sheet jammed in his face to the point he misses the details. He sells out too often. He must not miss like PI calls that the zebra's ignore. Mike McCarthy has to rent a new set of balls or have someone inform him when he's being buggered by the Officials.

Maybe he'll think some things over in this off season and turn out a new man next season. I'll be watching for that.
Everyone deserves a second chance. In Green Bay it's a third and a fourth .... It's the status quo and happy family and losing in the playoffs.

Mike McCarthy is now 6-5 in the playoffs. In 2010 McCarthy's Packers won 4 post season games including the Super Bowl. Isolating that result Mike McCarthy is 2 wins and five loss's in the playoffs. Mike McCarthy coached Packer teams have missed the playoffs twice.

Why does that record impress anyone?

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:14 AM
There were many, many plays there to be made, and time again players failed to make them.

Yes, Jones failed to make some catches that he could have, so did Nelson, and Lacy dropped a gimme with wide open spaces in front of him. Just as culpable as Jones.

Tramon Williams failed to finish on an interception a series or two before the one he had. It's playoffs, and when a play is there to be made you have to make it. Making one later on does not absolve the earlier failure. Hyde failed late, Burnett was oh so close to an interception on the TD to Davis. Close doesn't matter, when the opportunity is there, you have to take advantage. I think House had one too.

Bakhtiari got into a shouting match with Smith at the end of the 1st half, failed to hurry to the line when they were trying to hurry up, wasting a lot of time to get the play off after a short gain (26 seconds when there was only a minute left.) Then when they finally got the play off, Bakhtiari got his hands in Smith's facemask and was penalized. He needed to keep his cool. Earlier in that drive, Rodgers had to use a timeout when they couldn't get lined up correctly. With those screw-ups, they couldn't get set for good end of drive plays, and they had to settle for a FG. A TD would have been big.

All things you have to do to win playoff games. You aren't going to make all of the plays that are there to be made, but the Packers didn't make enough of them to win.

Solis observations Patler.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:20 AM

:whaa: Memo to self.

I'll be OK tomorrow NOT and maybe not by Tuesday or Wednesday but I'll get back to where I must be as a Packer fan.

Having huge hope.

This loss yesterday simply has too much sting in it right now.

I'm like the Packer players.

It really really hurts.

I know that laying blame can't fix a thing and that's up to TT and MM as the real engine for the Packer train.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:22 AM
I think Shields was ankle. What was Malumba's injury? I think that kid could be a player.

It looked to me like an ankle but Pam Oliver reported knee injuries for Sam Shields and Mike Neil.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:25 AM
WOW it's approaching 12:30 CST (Monday 6 Jan. 2014.. and our Packer 2013 Season is officially about over and 27 members are still on Packerrats.

Impressive. :wow:

smuggler
01-06-2014, 05:06 AM
87 of Kapernick's 91 yards were via the scramble. It's a passing number IMO.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 08:37 AM

The holding was bullshit because of the way they'd been letting both teams play in the secondary. That was one of the more ticky-tack ones, and they called it. House and SF's DBs were doing much worse for most of the game.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Yup. In close games there's a whole collection of plays that can change the outcome. Just ask Chicago.

That's the way the playoffs are. Good teams playing close games, decided by a play. This game was a lot more fun than the last two duds the Packers exited the Playoffs on, even if the result was not ideal.

pbmax
01-06-2014, 08:48 AM
87 of Kapernick's 91 yards were via the scramble. It's a passing number IMO.

Yeah, its an artifact of pass rush and coverage choice.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Yeah, its an artifact of pass rush and coverage choice.

For all of the time he had, I thought Kaep was pretty terrible throwing the ball. The one TD throw to Davis was ok, although Nick Collins would've taken it back the other direction a long way. I think there was one other throw he made in a tight spot but for the most part, he seemed to need his guy with a pretty big hole to complete the pass.

Bossman641
01-06-2014, 09:07 AM
That's the way the playoffs are. Good teams playing close games, decided by a play. This game was a lot more fun than the last two duds the Packers exited the Playoffs on, even if the result was not ideal.

That is basically how I feel about it. I was worried about the defense going into the game. Those worries went to outright terror once Shields and Neal got hurt. Who would have guessed the only remaining OLB's at the end of the season would be injured Perry and Mulumba?

The game came down to 6-7 plays that the Packers ended up on the wrong side of
Hyde stripping Crabtree and the fumble going out of bounds before anyone could recover
Tramon possible INT in end zone
Jones not coming down with the underthrown deep ball
Burnett step slow on the TD to Davis
Cobb not being able to break shoestring tackle from Reid inside the ten
Hyde missing the pick at the end
Mulumba/Bush losing contain on CK scramble

pbmax
01-06-2014, 09:11 AM
For all of the time he had, I thought Kaep was pretty terrible throwing the ball. The one TD throw to Davis was ok, although Nick Collins would've taken it back the other direction a long way. I think there was one other throw he made in a tight spot but for the most part, he seemed to need his guy with a pretty big hole to complete the pass.

There was a point in the 3rd Quarter where I thought he was toast. His last three medium to long throws were under thrown ducks. One was nearly picked off, don't remember who. I was stunned he could still get the ball downfield with that wobble.

He was resilient though and got it back. He does not do well throwing on the move. I would recommend sending five after his all game but he beat that for one of his longer runs.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-06-2014, 09:18 AM
That is basically how I feel about it. I was worried about the defense going into the game. Those worries went to outright terror once Shields and Neal got hurt. Who would have guessed the only remaining OLB's at the end of the season would be injured Perry and Mulumba?

Hyde stripping Crabtree and the fumble going out of bounds before anyone could recover

Yeah Cobb and JJ play was the biggest disappointment for me in the game. Even with all the missed plays by the defense, if you told me they would hold San Fran in the low 20's I would have loved our chances of winning. Nelson seemed to be the only one making plays. Jones had like two catches and two drops and Cobb only had two catches in which both came when Rodgers extended the play and broke the pocket. Cobb at the very least needs to break that tackle by Reid.

pbmax
01-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Examine MM's post season record since the Packers won the Super Bowl. Are you impressed with his 1-3 record? I don't believe you'll respond in the affirmative.

Mike McCarthy is now 6-5 in the playoffs. In 2010 McCarthy's Packers won 4 post season games including the Super Bowl. Isolating that result Mike McCarthy is 2 wins and five loss's in the playoffs. Mike McCarthy coached Packer teams have missed the playoffs twice.

Why does that record impress anyone?

Peyton Manning is 9-11 as a QB in the playoffs with one Super Bowl win. Do you fire him and take your chance on finding someone better?

There are many things to criticize about McCarthy, his playoff record is not one of them.

Joemailman
01-06-2014, 09:33 AM

This game reminded me of the NFC Title Game loss to the Giants. So close on so many plays that could have been the difference.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 09:44 AM

If Clay was playing, he's probably on that side instead of Mulumba. It's not guaranteed that he gets Kaep out before the marker, but he's a hell of a lot faster than Mulumba.

At this point, my narratives regarding the game are close to becoming fan fiction.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 10:00 AM

3-3 making the playoffs the last three years. How many other teams can claim the same? I am impressed. Wish they would win more, but they lost to the Superbowl champs, and probably NFC champs twice. It's not as much fun being the 4th-5th best team than it is winning it all, but it's vastly preferable to being 28th.

Take away Stuby's six wins and he's 0-5 in the playoffs: UNACCEPTABLE!!