PDA

View Full Version : Studs And Duds - Full Season Version

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Studs

Eddie Lacy - Was as good as any running back in football the last 3 month of of the season.

Josh Sitton - Had a great year and is one of the best Guards in the NFL.

David Bakhtiari - Had some struggles, but bailed out the O-Line with the injury to Bulaga and Newhouse's collapse.

Jordy Nelson - Made great plays almost every game, and was Rodgers' go-to guy with the injuries to Cobb and Finley.

Mike Daniels - Best inside pass rusher who never quits.

Sam Shields - Team's best defensive back, and must be re-signed.

Duds

B. J. Raji - Seldom have I seen a good player play so poorly in a contract year.

Morgan Burnett - Failed to step up and justify the confidence shown to him with his contract extension.

M.D. Jennings - Don't go away Mad. Just go away.

Davon House - Completely failed to take advantage of opportunity to play with injury to Hayward.

Jerron McMillian - His failure left a huge hole at the Safety position.

Nick Perry - Just average when healthy, and not healthy very often.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 08:57 PM
Any chance lacy gets rookie of the year?

King Friday
01-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Additional Studs

Crosby - Was kicked like a rented mule all offseason and preseason...only to shut up ALL naysayers with one of the best seasons ever for a GB kicker.
Boykin - Stepped up and became a reliable receiver when he got his chance.

call_me_ishmael
01-05-2014, 09:09 PM
TWill really played well down the stretch. I was of the believe he wouldn't be back next year for much of the season, but now I'm not so sure they will cut him loose.

red
01-05-2014, 09:20 PM
dud- hayward worst hamstring injury in the history of the world

dud- clay, yet another season ruined by his fragile HGH built body

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Agree with everything in this thread except I would move Perry and Baktiari to the "meh" list. Neither was all good or all bad. Bak was so overrated as an LT cuz we all were used to Newhouse. I would rank him about 20th in the league. Good for a rookie 4th rounder who should be player RT or guard, but not what you want at LT long term. Perry flashed when healthy. He is obviously hurting as they reduced him to pass rush as the year wore on.

Brandon494
01-05-2014, 09:47 PM
I don't think anyone views Baktiari as a All-Pro yet but for a 4th rounder to start at LT his rookie season is rare and he did a damn fine job IMO.

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I think there are quite a few 2nd tier studs:

Starks - all world as backup RB, under-used

Kuhn - against all odds, he did lots of things well

Boykins - steady Eddy

Boyd - did not suck as expected

Micah Hyde - solid player, could be safety of future

Quarless - by end of season, he looked like a starter

Minor duds:

Barclay - he's a weak pass blocker. Of course, he was intended to be a backup. So maybe he is a decent backup.

Tolzien - I expected more. He's not a rookie. I'm not buying that the Mike McCarthy Famous Quarterback School is going to turn him into gold.

Newhouse - regressed

Harlan Huckleby
01-05-2014, 10:15 PM
I don't think anyone views Baktiari as a All-Pro yet but for a 4th rounder to start at LT his rookie season is rare and he did a damn fine job IMO.

He came out of school a year early, is physically underdeveloped. He must be really talented to do as well as he did.

run pMc
01-05-2014, 10:25 PM

Yeah, I didn't expect much from him except to be depth; with Bulaga down and Newhouse imploding he was a real find for a rookie and held up against some tough pass-rushers.
Perry shows flashes, but his injuries have really hurt his play and development at OLB. The foot injury has made him look worse. Wouldn't call him a bust, but he's kind of a 'meh'.

Agree with the other studs/duds...I'd add Brad Jones to the Duds list: he got a contract and regressed.

sharpe1027
01-05-2014, 11:17 PM
Yeah, I didn't expect much from him except to be depth; with Bulaga down and Newhouse imploding he was a real find for a rookie and held up against some tough pass-rushers.
Perry shows flashes, but his injuries have really hurt his play and development at OLB. The foot injury has made him look worse. Wouldn't call him a bust, but he's kind of a 'meh'.

Agree with the other studs/duds...I'd add Brad Jones to the Duds list: he got a contract and regressed.

I disagree tha BJ regressed, he was never good to begin with.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 02:00 AM
This thread says: Pain and regression and outright disappointment.

So much to overcome in this off season. What will TT and MM do!?

Jimx29
01-06-2014, 04:03 AM
Stud: Hawk. Took a pay cut and still had probably one of his best seasons. Same with Crosby

smuggler
01-06-2014, 04:59 AM
I'm inclined to disagree about Davon House. I know the coaching staff has him in the doghouse, but every time I see him play, I like what I see. It might be that he makes assignment mistakes, and that's probably why I don't notice when the gaffes are his. I only saw about half of the 49ers game, but he make quite a few good plays. However, if his primary assignment was Crabtree....

Also, he should bring his elbows closer together on those FG block attempts. :C

packrulz
01-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Stud: Hawk. Took a pay cut and still had probably one of his best seasons. Same with Crosby
Hawk had a good year and doesn't bitch but he can't cover at all like Vernon Davis showed us, he's too slow. Mulumba had a heck of a year. Bush made some plays. I thought Tolzien played well considering his lack of experience.

Bossman641
01-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Gonna go a little different direction, those who exceeded expectation vs those who didn't meet them

Exceeded
Lacy - excited to watch him for years
Starks - great complement to Lacy
Kuhn - wanted him gone in preseason but he was like a coach on the field with the backup QB's
Boykin
Bakh - a season saver, now to gain some strength
Sitton - surprised the preseason switch went as well as it did
Boyd
Hawk - best season so far
Mulumba
Hyde
Crosby

Below Expectations
Franklin - we'll always have the Cincy game..well except for the fumble part
Newhouse - disgusted
Raji - contract year?
Pickett - possibly injury related
Datone Jones - he looked like gangbusters in TC
Brad Jones
Perry - injury related
House - gone from possible starter material to somebody I hate seeing on the field
Safeties - an entire year without a single pick from the lot of you?

Willard
01-06-2014, 07:58 AM
High draft pick defensive duds: Worthy, Perry, Datone Jones

pbmax
01-06-2014, 09:44 AM
I'm inclined to disagree about Davon House. I know the coaching staff has him in the doghouse, but every time I see him play, I like what I see. It might be that he makes assignment mistakes, and that's probably why I don't notice when the gaffes are his. I only saw about half of the 49ers game, but he make quite a few good plays. However, if his primary assignment was Crabtree....

Also, he should bring his elbows closer together on those FG block attempts. :C

He does not have Shields closing speed or Tramon's ability to clutch and grab to stay close. So those outs that kept getting completed on him were quite open.

He has to stay closer to the WR on the break.

Rutnstrut
01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

Yup, Hawk was THE stud on the defense, always there and working hard. I would much rather have 10 more players on D like Hawk than Mathews.

Packers4Glory
01-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Studs:
lacy
Nelson
Daniels
Bak
Starks
Cobb
Boykin
Mason

Duds:
MM
TT
Capers
Slocum
Training staff w so many hammys
Raji
Safeties
D. Jones

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Yup, Hawk was THE stud on the defense, always there and working hard. I would much rather have 10 more players on D like Hawk than Mathews.

LOL. Yeah, I love JAGs over guys that can make plays

Brandon494
01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Yea Hawk was the "stud" of a defense which sucked ass this year. Not calling him a dud but looking at his last 5 games I don't see anything "stud" about him. Hes JAG whos best asset is staying healthy.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Yea Hawk was the "stud" of a defense which sucked ass this year. Not calling him a dud but looking at his last 5 games I don't see anything "stud" about him. Hes JAG whos best asset is staying healthy.

Yes AJ Hawk has the dubious distinction of what? leading the Packers 'NO' defense in tackles.

Yea ... ahh ... ahh ... Eh.

Hawk does a fine job as the new Packers spokesperson.

I wonder if Ted pays him extra for that?

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2014, 03:48 PM

Hawk was probably the MVP of the defense.

They don't make playoff without him

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

I'd take T Will first. Improved tackling as the season when along and made plays. Hawk is JAG but he's the only guy who isn't injury prone; 95% of success is just showing up. He will work harder.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Hawk is an above average starting LB, not a JAG

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 03:59 PM

AJ Hawk had a decent season.

I love his attitude. He's all team.

pbmax
01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
I have a hard time knocking Raji. One of the few points wist and I agree on is that he is not a great fit for this defense. They have adjusted for him but its still not the best. I have to wonder if they actually got less out of him by pulling him from nickel pass rush and cutting his snap count down.

He occupied Guards like he was asked. You don't knock a power forward for a sub par year if the coach plays him at the 2 (yes, I have switched to basketball mode).

The question is why pay him $8 mil for the poor fit?

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 04:13 PM

Take away the above and I agree with you

Bossman641
01-06-2014, 04:36 PM
I have a hard time knocking Raji. One of the few points wist and I agree on is that he is not a great fit for this defense. They have adjusted for him but its still not the best. I have to wonder if they actually got less out of him by pulling him from nickel pass rush and cutting his snap count down.

I've wondered the same thing as well. Why not throw him a bone a few times a game and let him get some third down rushes to at least appease him some?

Striker
01-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Studs
Nelson - Would have been a lock for the Pro Bowl had Rodgers not gotten injured.

Lacy - Rookie of the year.

Daniels - Nice to see someone emerging on the DL when everyone else seems to be regressing.

Second half of the Season Tramon Williams - If only he'd play up to that level for the entire season

Crosby - I wanted him gone last season. He showed me.

Starks - He earned himself some money this offseason.

Boykin - Makes Jones expendable.

Shields - Best member of the secondary this season.

Bakhtiari - LT of the future?

Sitton - Steady as always.

McCarthy - For keeping this team together as everything was seemingly falling apart.

Duds
McCarthy - For his tendency for getting too cute in the red zone.

Rodgers' Collarbone - Probably the difference between the #2 and #4 seed.

Raji - Where'd you go?

Every Safety on the Team - I'd settle for a one trick safety who can only defend the pass or run...better than safeties who suck at both.

The Other Injuries - Too many to list.

Thompson - Yes, there were injuries, and I still support him, but it's time to change things up a bit.

Freak Out
01-06-2014, 06:10 PM
I've wondered the same thing as well. Why not throw him a bone a few times a game and let him get some third down rushes to at least appease him some?

So why not let him walk and sign a "better fit" replacement? Probably time to do it if TT can get someone who fits the bill.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2014, 09:00 PM
Studs
Nelson - Would have been a lock for the Pro Bowl had Rodgers not gotten injured.

Daniels - Nice to see someone emerging on the DL when everyone else seems to be regressing.

Second half of the Season Tramon Williams - If only he'd play up to that level for the entire season

McCarthy - For keeping this team together as everything was seemingly falling apart.

Duds

Raji - Where'd you go?

Every Safety on the Team - I'd settle for a one trick safety who can only defend the pass or run...better than safeties who suck at both.

Thompson - Yes, there were injuries, and I still support him, but it's time to change things up a bit.

Can't say I disagree with any of this, but Thompson isn't likely to change things up. He'll do what he does.

Striker
01-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Can't say I disagree with any of this, but Thompson isn't likely to change things up. He'll do what he does.

I think we may see a few new things out of Thompson. It was a bit out of character for the organization to dump Ross and McMillan mid-season. Hopefully it points to the organization knowing that some changes are needed to turn things around next season.

Though fielding a healthy team is the most important part.

Patler
01-07-2014, 06:28 AM

Except that, if you had 10 more like Matthews you might be able to have at least one of them available each week (or, maybe not. :()

smuggler
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM
High draft pick defensive duds: Worthy

He hardly played due to ACL rehab. Give him a break!

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:37 PM
He came out of school a year early, is physically underdeveloped. He must be really talented to do as well as he did.

It will be interesting to see how Bak will perform after a full offseason of maturing and bulking up some.

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Gonna go a little different direction, those who exceeded expectation vs those who didn't meet them

Exceeded
Lacy - excited to watch him for years
Starks - great complement to Lacy
Kuhn - wanted him gone in preseason but he was like a coach on the field with the backup QB's
Boykin
Bakh - a season saver, now to gain some strength
Sitton - surprised the preseason switch went as well as it did
Boyd
Hawk - best season so far
Mulumba
Hyde
Crosby

Below Expectations
Franklin - we'll always have the Cincy game..well except for the fumble part
Newhouse - disgusted
Raji - contract year?
Pickett - possibly injury related
Datone Jones - he looked like gangbusters in TC
Brad Jones
Perry - injury related
House - gone from possible starter material to somebody I hate seeing on the field
Safeties - an entire year without a single pick from the lot of you?

I'm eager to see how Perry and Franklin perform if they could stay healthy...
I'm not worried about Datone. Most D linemen take at least a year before they shine.

mraynrand
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM

No, NO!!!

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:42 PM

You can have 10 more guys like Hawk and I'll take 10 more players of Matthews' caliber.

mraynrand
01-08-2014, 01:43 PM
If Marshmallow Outhouse is on the opening day roster, I'm not watching the Packers ever again.

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:45 PM

I don't think he's just a JAG either but we need more elite players than guys like Hawk.

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
I'd take T Will first. Improved tackling as the season when along and made plays. Hawk is JAG but he's the only guy who isn't injury prone; 95% of success is just showing up. He will work harder.

I was very pleased with the way T Will played these past few weeks. I hope he is now back to his old self. :grin:

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Studs

Duds

Raji - Where'd you go?

This is why I am glad MM is our HC.

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:51 PM

It will be interesting to see how he plays in 2014 with a hale ACL.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 02:09 PM
If Marshmallow Outhouse is on the opening day roster, I'm not watching the Packers ever again.

Serious question: do you think they draft or otherwise bring in a Tackle above a street FA?

Because I am tempted to agree with you, but he might have a spot even if Sherrod and Bulaga are the starters. Bach is one backup, Barclay another but he will get time at Guard.

MadScientist
01-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Studs:
Lacy - imagine what he could do behind a real line.
Crosby - he didn't take a pay cut, he earned all of his incentives, and I do mean earned.
Shields - solid play
Williams - finally looked like the pre-injury version of himself

Duds:
Big contracts - Both Mathews and Rodgers missed a lot of time and those contracts are already making things tight.
EDS - Was supposed to be good, but was JAG.
Newhouse - Calling Marshmallow the Bush of the offense is an insult, because Bush will make some plays on defense before he fucks up. Newhouse is a fuck-up every snap.
2011-2012 drafts - only Daniels had a good year for the Packers. The rest are gone or were injured (Cobb) , or just not very good (Peri)

Pugger
01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Studs:
Lacy - imagine what he could do behind a real line.
Crosby - he didn't take a pay cut, he earned all of his incentives, and I do mean earned.
Shields - solid play
Williams - finally looked like the pre-injury version of himself

Duds:
Big contracts - Both Mathews and Rodgers missed a lot of time and those contracts are already making things tight.
EDS - Was supposed to be good, but was JAG.
Newhouse - Calling Marshmallow the Bush of the offense is an insult, because Bush will make some plays on defense before he fucks up. Newhouse is a fuck-up every snap.
2011-2012 drafts - only Daniels had a good year for the Packers. The rest are gone or were injured (Cobb) , or just not very good (Peri)

I don't recall anyone every saying EDS was gonna be good. We were all hoping he'd be adequate and he was more than adequate. I think we can win with him in that spot and I don't think he'll cost us an arm and a leg.

mraynrand
01-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Serious question: do you think they draft or otherwise bring in a Tackle above a street FA?

Because I am tempted to agree with you, but he might have a spot even if Sherrod and Bulaga are the starters. Bach is one backup, Barclay another but he will get time at Guard.

I know they love their own guys, but the Detroit game was the end for me. The lack of effort was outrageous. Like I said before, I'd rather have Ryan Taylor at tackle than Outhouse. I know he'd give good effort. To answer your question, I think they should bring in a new guy - rookie FA or above, but they probably still think Outhouse is capable, so will do nothing.

MadScientist
01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
I don't recall anyone every saying EDS was gonna be good. We were all hoping he'd be adequate and he was more than adequate. I think we can win with him in that spot and I don't think he'll cost us an arm and a leg.
I guess some of Rodgers comments at the end of last season made me think he was supposed to be good. Perhaps that was only in comparison to Saturday. I'd lump him in the 'barely adequate' category at best, with too many missed blocks in the run game and giving up too much push in pass protection. His contract is up, but the Packers have nobody else ready to step in, which is a problem. I'd be fine with him as a backup, but he will want starter money. I'm also worried that keeping him will cost an arm (Rodgers) and a leg (Lacey's).

run pMc
01-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, Rodgers gave EDS a big vote of confidence last season.
EDS was an upgrade over Saturday, but he's still probably in the bottom half of starting centers.
They didn't offer him an extension mid-season, which could mean a couple of things. He's serviceable and TT will probably always be looking for someone better. Tretter will be expected to push him.

Newhouse is gone. You end up with Bulaga, Sherrod, Bahktiari competing at T, with the loser being the main backup (assuming he's not on IR). Wouldn't be surprised if Barclay becomes the backup G and emergency T.
They'll bring in a C-G for competition and depth, no idea if Gerhart or Taylor can do it.

pbmax
01-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Rodgers also said he was proud of EDS at the end of this year, not sure if radio show or press conference.

But Rodgers has lost guys he has praised and lobbied for in the past, so I am not sure his vote matters much.

Rutnstrut
01-10-2014, 10:14 AM
I don't think he's just a JAG either but we need more elite players than guys like Hawk.

I think you are wrong, I think exactly what they need is more solid, bust your ass, players like Hawk. Not only are the elite players hard to find, they will probably be free agent types and we know there's not a snowballs chance in hell of TT signing them.

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 10:36 AM
I think you are wrong, I think exactly what they need is more solid, bust your ass, players like Hawk. Not only are the elite players hard to find, they will probably be free agent types and we know there's not a snowballs chance in hell of TT signing them.

Hawk was awful in the SF game. He made no plays, and after a second watching, he was one of the main reasons Kap ran wild on scrambles. Just terrible recognition and poor reaction. Packers need to get significantly better at both ILB positions. But I hear he relayed the calls from the sidelines effectively.

Hawk versus Vernon Davis - the play of the game where Ted Thompson had to be kicking himself again for not taking VD when he had the chance.

red
01-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Hawk was awful in the SF game. He made no plays, and after a second watching, he was one of the main reasons Kap ran wild on scrambles. Just terrible recognition and poor reaction. Packers need to get significantly better at both ILB positions. But I hear he relayed the calls from the sidelines effectively.

Hawk versus Vernon Davis - the play of the game where Ted Thompson had to be kicking himself again for not taking VD when he had the chance.

VD matched up on any LB 1v1 in the nfl is a mismatch, especially when when VD just runs a streak. i thought the fact that hawk was even near him was pretty impressive
bush was in the game on boldin and gave a very weak jam on him off the line, then let him run right past him, this made burnett step over to pick up boldin leaving hawk 1v1 on the fastest TE in NFL history, 30 yards down the field

unless you're gonna go out and find am ILB that can run a 4.2, you're gonna have this problem

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014010501/2013/POST18/49ers@packers#contentId=0ap2000000309672&menu=highlights&tab=recap

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 11:33 AM
VD matched up on any LB 1v1 in the nfl is a mismatch, especially when when VD just runs a streak. i thought the fact that hawk was even near him was pretty impressive
bush was in the game on boldin and gave a very weak jam on him off the line, then let him run right past him, this made burnett step over to pick up boldin leaving hawk 1v1 on the fastest TE in NFL history, 30 yards down the field

unless you're gonna go out and find am ILB that can run a 4.2, you're gonna have this problem

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2014010501/2013/POST18/49ers@packers#contentId=0ap2000000309672&menu=highlights&tab=recap

That one play only illustrates that VD makes plays and Hawk does not. The entire rest of the game illustrates that Hawk does not make plays. He stands around a lot and then moves after guys make plays and then shows up to touch a guy after he is down a whole lot more. He does a great job at not shedding blocks. He also did an incredible job of allowing a reception by Celek, who is slower than me. But he did tackle after giving up the pass. But apparently he is very good at relaying signals. I have a new job suggestion for him:

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/images/air/marshalling.jpg

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Airplane Marsahall - perfect

gbgary
01-10-2014, 12:06 PM
all kinds of highly rated te's are comin out...just sayin.

Maxie the Taxi
01-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Stud = Alex Gillett. Despite everything that transpired this season, he's still on the roster. :clap: