PDA

View Full Version : Money matters...

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:17 PM
How about a thread to discuss who goes and who stays, based on how they played this year vs how much they would cost the team?

Stay

Arod - no brainer
Jordy - Mr consistent
Crosby - great turn around story
Clay - wish he would stay healthy but prolly best defensive player
Lacy - no brainer
Hyde - some potential here but needs to improve

Maybe stay

Hawk - depends on whether we draft a replacement
Finley - not hopeful based on what he thinks he is worth
Shields - want to move him to Stay but depends on the cost

Gone

New house - I hope
Capers - I hope
Safeties - name not important

red
01-05-2014, 09:22 PM
i think hawk stays just because it would be tough to replace both ILB's and both safeties and IMO hawk is the best of those 4

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:24 PM
i think hawk stays just because it would be tough to replace both ILB's and both safeties and IMO hawk is the best of those 4

Maybe, and didn't he already take a pay cut for this year?

bobblehead
Hawk and Burnett stay as Red says. Need some consistency. Definitely need a new safety. Finley is gone unless he is cheap. Newhouse should be gone even if he offers to pay us.

digitaldean
James Jones is a UFA also. My opinion, Jones, Finley can go if they are too high. Raji has had the lowest impact of someone in a contract year on this squad.

Agree on Hawk and Shields. Newhouse should be shown the door tomorrow in exit interviews.

Lacy should be used like crazy on his rookie contract. His pricetag after the rookie deal will be steep if he stays healthy. Packers got a home run with this kid. Crosby did a great job when he had to make incentives. Hyde played OK, but he also made some rookie mistakes this season.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Stay

Bak - can't spell his name, another positive rookie.

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
I am thinking no one under contract gets cut/reduced. Its a small possibility that Tramon gets reduced, but I kinda doubt it. I think Raji and Finley are gone based on overvaluing themselves. Shields is a must sign. I really want JJ back as well.

I forget who else is up as FA, but I don't think we lose anyone of consequence if we resign JJ and shields.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Stay

Tramon - prolly saved his job with performance over last few games but wish he would take a pay cut based on his performance at beginning of year.

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 09:33 PM
A list of players whose contracts are up this year. A few are not UDFA's.

Raji - Gone. I'm not sure he wants to be here.

Pickett - Back if Raji is gone.

Finley - Back, if he continues his career.

Jones - Gone if someone offers him starter money. I'm guessing he's back.

Kuhn - He'll be back.

Mike Neal - He'll be back. Played pretty well for a guy learning a new position.

Quarless - He'll be back.

Newhouse - Gone.

Starks - back unless someone offers him starter money.

Shields - TT has to sign him. He will.

C.J. Wilson - Probably gone.

Lattimore - He'll be back.

EDS - He'll be back.

Wallace - Gone.

Francois - Probably back.

Bell - Probably gone.

Flynn - I'm guessing he's now resigned to being a backup. He'll be back.

Jolly - Back if he continues his career.

Banjo - he'll be back.

red
01-05-2014, 09:34 PM
I forget who else is up as FA, but I don't think we lose anyone of consequence if we resign JJ and shields.

here's the list

http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/green-bay-packers/

red
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM

they made a real quick comment on the post game radio show that caught be off guard

they said jolly's career is probably over

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:37 PM

Kuhn - He'll be back.

Mike Neal - He'll be back. Played pretty well for a guy learning a new position.

Newhouse - Gone.

EDS - He'll be back.

Wallace - Gone.

Bell - Probably gone.

Banjo - he'll be back.

Nice list, what is Kuhn scheduled to make? I thought big bucks?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-05-2014, 09:38 PM
they made a real quick comment on the post game radio show that caught be off guard

Did they say why?

mraynrand
01-05-2014, 09:39 PM

A couple of days ago I saw in the JS that he had a cervical spine injury. He is done - like Collins and likely Finley. Any player who values his life should get out of Green Bay while he can still walk.

red
01-05-2014, 09:40 PM
A couple of days ago I saw in the JS that he had a cervical spine injury. He is done - like Collins and likely Finley. Any player who values his life should get out of Green Bay while he can still walk.

thats what i feared

Joemailman
01-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Nice list, what is Kuhn scheduled to make? I thought big bucks?

This was the last year of a 3-year 7.6 mil contract.

bobblehead
01-05-2014, 11:51 PM

WTF is up with this team. We might go 20 years without another injury if things balance out.

Rutnstrut
01-06-2014, 10:13 AM

That REALLY sucks, he made this D better and plays with a lot of heart. You know Raji wouldn't get hurt this year, that would have meant he may have been in on a play, I hope they dump his worthless ass.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Raji's durability might be his top asset. They might need to pay him just because he can stay healthy. I'm only half joking.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2014, 03:53 PM
I hate the NFL. Altho the NFL's owner-friendly hard cap works better than some of the other sports, it still sucks. A system where a couple players get most of the salary, and the rest of the team is filled-out with temps is lousy for the fans.

The cap should be softened to allow teams to hang-on to their own draft picks.

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
Any player who values his life should get out of Green Bay while he can still walk.

After red's injury and then wist's health issues I was thinking the same for Packer fans as well.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 04:04 PM
I hate the NFL. Altho the NFL's owner-friendly hard cap works better than some of the other sports, it still sucks. A system where a couple players get most of the salary, and the rest of the team is filled-out with temps is lousy for the fans.

I have a hard time accepting your logic here. There are 32 teams with 53 players each. The 1606 players will end up somewhere, it's not like they're out of a job because one QB gets paid a lot. QBs are worth their weight in gold as this season demonstrated. You'd rather pay the huge amount; other teams can blow that money on three or four good position players for all the good it will do them. It's just a matter of how you spend your money and who the impact players are. If it were a defensive, running league, the Tackles, running backs and Linebackers would eat up all the cash, and you'd have less money for QBs, Pass rushers, and WRs, but you wouldn't care because you had your stud(s) where you need 'em.

Plus it's the ebb and flow and intentional to promote competition. When SF has to break the bank for Kap, some of the rest of their roster will clear out, but how much will they mind? Or they might go with the next guy and keep throwing their money into the defense. But then someone else gets to try with Kap.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 04:14 PM

Kuhn - He'll be back.

Newhouse - Gone.

EDS - He'll be back.

Wallace - Gone.

Bell - Probably gone.

Banjo - he'll be back.

BJ Raji would cripple the team if TT signs his worthless ass. I hope that TT see's his error there. TT's offer of $8 Million$ to that lump is just embarrassing to many Packer fans.

Ryan Pickett still loves to play and works hard. If his family is very happy in Green bay he stays.

ED-Smith !? $$$$ Money$$$. He may feel that he has TT over a barrel there. TT has options.

That's about right except I see Sam Shields leaving now.

Obviously...TT was too cheap again in Sam Shields view. TT was "too slow" .... again.

Ted Thompson is certainly " TRUE to himself ". That's going to hurt the Packers short term. Get used to that fact.

This time and in regards to Sam Shields if he doesn't turn it around and swallow who he is.

Ted Thompson will be really wrong again. That will be a "no brainer" fact that Ted Thompson will regret.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2014, 05:38 PM
Plus it's the ebb and flow and intentional to promote competition. When SF has to break the bank for Kap, some of the rest of their roster will clear out, but how much will they mind?
The advertised purpose of the hard cap is to promote competition, a.k.a. parity, and it certainly does that. The more significant purpose is to increase and guarantee profits for the NFL.

Matter of opinion, but I think the constant turnover is crummy for the fans.

One could exempt drafted players from each team's cap, and you would allow many more players to finish their careers with one team, still have a free agent market, and not hurt the small market teams. It would be a better system all the way around, except from the NFL's standpoint, it would result in modestly more salary paid out.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 05:44 PM
The advertised purpose of the hard cap is to promote competition, a.k.a. parity, and it certainly does that. The more significant purpose is to increase and guarantee profits for the NFL.

Matter of opinion, but I think the constant turnover is crummy for the fans.

One could exempt drafted players from each team's cap, and you would allow many more players to finish their careers with one team, still have a free agent market, and not hurt the small market teams. It would be a better system all the way around, except from the NFL's standpoint, it would result in modestly more salary paid out.

you start exempting and some teams won't be able to keep up (or will refuse to as in the case of some cheapskates). But I generally like the idea.

Still, he way you express it, you'd think the non QB players were all getting nothing. QBs are overpaid because the great ones are so valuable, just like CEOs - the great ones bump up the price. But that's how the game is built; the field general runs the show and gets the dough.

Harlan Huckleby
01-06-2014, 05:50 PM
QBs are overpaid because the great ones are so valuable

I never said it was a bad decision to pay QBs. But it contributes to the problem of high player movement.

I don't like the TT system one damn bit, speaking as a fan. I am unthrilled by having the youngest NFL team every year. My proposal would just nudge things in the direction of players staying with one team, it really isn't a radical change.

Little Whiskey
01-06-2014, 09:13 PM
I have a hard time accepting your logic here. There are 32 teams with 53 players each. The 1606 players will end up somewhere, it's not like they're out of a job because one QB gets paid a lot. QBs are worth their weight in gold as this season demonstrated. You'd rather pay the huge amount; other teams can blow that money on three or four good position players for all the good it will do them. It's just a matter of how you spend your money and who the impact players are. If it were a defensive, running league, the Tackles, running backs and Linebackers would eat up all the cash, and you'd have less money for QBs, Pass rushers, and WRs, but you wouldn't care because you had your stud(s) where you need 'em.

Plus it's the ebb and flow and intentional to promote competition. When SF has to break the bank for Kap, some of the rest of their roster will clear out, but how much will they mind? Or they might go with the next guy and keep throwing their money into the defense. But then someone else gets to try with Kap.
Seattle will be in this same boat. Both teams have talented qb's playing on rookie contract. And I don't think either were first round draft picks.

KYPack
01-06-2014, 09:22 PM

Sean Richardson made it back to the roster after a cervical spine injury.

JJ really showed me a lot this season.

I'd hate to see him have to hang it up after he conquered the purple.

bobblehead
01-06-2014, 10:42 PM

Aldon Smith is on his rookie deal as well isn't he? That will touch up that cap number a bit.

bobblehead
01-06-2014, 10:45 PM
I never said it was a bad decision to pay QBs. But it contributes to the problem of high player movement.

I don't like the TT system one damn bit, speaking as a fan. I am unthrilled by having the youngest NFL team every year. My proposal would just nudge things in the direction of players staying with one team, it really isn't a radical change.

So you would like to see an NBA system with max contracts. That would allow teams to keep their guys more often.

Little Whiskey
01-06-2014, 11:07 PM
So you would like to see an NBA system with max contracts. That would allow teams to keep their guys more often.
Doesn't the franchise tag and transition tag try to do this?

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 05:24 AM

Meh...I haven't seen a transition tag actually get used, have you? Even the franchise tag is underused. I would expect that a team would use it every year on someone. But its math...if every team uses it, the tag number will escalate rapidly. If top 5 salaries are 8,8,10,10,12 then 2 teams tag that position then next year the top 5 are 9.6,9.6,10,10,12. The tag goes up over .5 million per year. That in turn changes the market for guys who actually get reupped. That tag was fine for a few years, but over time it drove up its own number as well as other contracts....faster than the cap is going up.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 09:34 AM

Sort of, but it's a one year fix and provides incentive to leave the franchise that doesn't want to sign you to a longer term contract.

In the NBA, the max deal is highest when its with your current team. It is guaranteed no matter what so security isn't the issue.

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 09:43 AM
Raji's durability might be his top asset. They might need to pay him just because he can stay healthy. I'm only half joking.

Paying BJ Raji based on what we didn't see this season.

Would be contempt of how to manage the CAP in terms of pay for value.