PDA

View Full Version : Shields injury

red
01-06-2014, 10:22 AM
looks like he might have avoided major damage

looks like he might have just strained his MCL which wouldn't require surgery, just rest. although since a "league source" is telling us this, its probable that he actually has a damaged spine and will never play again

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/06/sam-shields-has-possible-mcl-injury-pending-mri/

Joemailman
01-06-2014, 10:25 AM
As long as MM doesn't call it a "significant injury", I think we're good.

Patler
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
What does it matter? His Packer career is probably done anyway.

Tony Oday
01-06-2014, 11:27 AM
He will sign with the Pack.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 11:27 AM

Hi Patler:

Losing Sam Shields yesterday so early was sort of a predictor of the games outcome. Would he have missed that very probable 'Pick Six' ( Micah Hyde) that would have spelled lights out for the San Fran 49ers?

If the rumors are correct RE: Offer of $40 Million$ rejected? You make a solid point. Sam Shields is leaving the Green Bay Packers. He realizes his better interests and good fortune is elsewhere.

GO PACK GO !

Guiness
01-06-2014, 11:32 AM

?

Basing that on anything, or gut feel. I wish he'd been extended already, but there's still a lot of negotiating time left.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I suspect Shields is a priority in GB, but like any FA, GB front office has set a price and will not budge.

Guiness
01-06-2014, 11:57 AM
?

Basing that on anything, or gut feel. I wish he'd been extended already, but there's still a lot of negotiating time left.

Ok, found a mention of it here
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131219/PKR01/312190410

Not out of hand yet, could still get that way though. He had a good season, unluckily for him he didn't make it through unscathed. Other teams will certainly be looking at him though.

red
01-06-2014, 12:00 PM
if we don't resign shields or raji or jones or finley and we don't bring in any free agents, then i think we'll have a hard time using up our 30 million in free cap space

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 12:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m
Per league source, MRI shows only a bone bruise for Packers CB Sam Shields, who's due to become a free agent in March.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:02 PM
?

TT ( Russ Ball) doesn't negotiate. He's too arrogant for such.

Time 'has been up for too long', may be the assessment for anyone following this closely. For many Packer fans that's the all too obvious and inevitable outcome.

It certainly appears to me that Sam Shields is out of Green Bay ASAP. Something has happened between him and his agent and the Packer negotiator that has steered Sam Shields in this now certain direction.

Isn't it this?

Sam Shields (size aside) is a valuable CB and the Packers failed to offer him a contract that's commiserate with his obvious talent. That man is likely feeling insulted.

Maybe it's something more strictly personal? He needs to leave Green Bay.

His injury yesterday won't deter this result. Sam Shields is as good as gone. That's my analysis.

Please don't kill the messenger. :wink:

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 12:03 PM
TT's arrogance sighting!

QBME
01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Ok, found a mention of it here
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20131219/PKR01/312190410

Not out of hand yet, could still get that way though. He had a good season, unluckily for him he didn't make it through unscathed. Other teams will certainly be looking at him though.

There's about 8 weeks to get something done. The article actually had a positive tone to it. Besides, if he signs with someone else, he's going to have to do something with that big freakin' neck tatoo.

Guiness
01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
There's about 8 weeks to get something done. The article actually had a positive tone to it. Besides, if he signs with someone else, he's going to have to do something with that big freakin' neck tatoo.

It has a bit of a positive spin, but also pointed out that he wasn't happy with the 'prove it' contract for a couple million he got this year. Hopefully, it's a wash overall.

Guiness
01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
Stories coming out that Shields injury was just a bone bruise, no MCL damage or anything else.

I know the Packers like to be careful, but he sure as hell could've come back to the game and might've made a big difference :bang:

red
01-06-2014, 12:44 PM
Stories coming out that Shields injury was just a bone bruise, no MCL damage or anything else.

I know the Packers like to be careful, but he sure as hell could've come back to the game and might've made a big difference :bang:

thats what i'm thinking

could a quality staff had been able to tell the difference between ligament damage and a bone bruise?

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 12:55 PM
" Cornerback Sam Shields said his agent has talked with the Packers about a contract extension late this season but for now doesn’t see a deal coming.

“Yeah, they have (been negotiating) a little bit,” Shields said. “But something we’re not agreeing with. Things happen like that. There’s still some negotiation going on.” ..." The Article ... the Focus

Patler
01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
The story was that they tried to sign him to a longer term deal last year, but they couldn't agree on the terms, so the Packers tendered him. Now the article about this year. It seems they have been negotiating to one extent or another for two years, but haven't accomplished anything. I don't expect a big change .

I'm a little on the fence about spending a lot of money to extend Shields. Very good player, but has missed games every year with injuries (11 missed over 4 years); then they lose him Sunday. In the end, you have to think about that, too. The same issue will come up with Bulaga when his contract is up.

Freak Out
01-06-2014, 01:43 PM
thats what i'm thinking

could a quality staff had been able to tell the difference between ligament damage and a bone bruise?

I always find it odd that you will see some guy running off the field or into the locker room never to be seen again. Could he have played?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-06-2014, 01:46 PM
I always find it odd that you will see some guy running off the field or into the locker room never to be seen again. Could he have played?

Hookers in the locker room??

Freak Out
01-06-2014, 01:47 PM
Could be...but it was warm as well. :)

Joemailman
01-06-2014, 02:02 PM
The story was that they tried to sign him to a longer term deal last year, but they couldn't agree on the terms, so the Packers tendered him. Now the article about this year. It seems they have been negotiating to one extent or another for two years, but haven't accomplished anything. I don't expect a big change .

I'm a little on the fence about spending a lot of money to extend Shields. Very good player, but has missed games every year with injuries (11 missed over 4 years); then they lose him Sunday. In the end, you have to think about that, too. The same issue will come up with Bulaga when his contract is up.

It would not be TT's M.O. to let a good, young player escape in free agency. Besides, on this team missing 11 games in 4 years makes you an iron man.

MadScientist
01-06-2014, 02:04 PM

This is football. Just about everyone (save perhaps kickers) can and does get injured over the course of 4 years for some number of games. Especially on the Packers. As long as the missed games aren't really high or the injury isn't chronic, you just have to live with it.

I really hope they can reach a fair deal with Shields. They really need a good CB who is young enough to start for 5+ more years to be locked up.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 02:18 PM
This is football. Just about everyone (save perhaps kickers) can and does get injured over the course of 4 years for some number of games. Especially on the Packers. As long as the missed games aren't really high or the injury isn't chronic, you just have to live with it.

I really hope they can reach a fair deal with Shields. They really need a good CB who is young enough to start for 5+ more years to be locked up.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0gn7qbuvsHv0bnWTRsyZTz3QQHXxPD M-41dm-X-YHyiLgYRuCrw

OR

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyVE7i-04Mtt1iRv41zxx6hVUtyyytH9ls2FSO34TZ85lzjo-EDA

These shoes are walking !

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2I3-3G_G048F_rnDfPgIeKC4wiM9YfxjPgQX-InGabItfnXza

I'm listening for $more$ Teddy !?? Show me the $$$$ money$$$$ Teddy. ... Sam Shields and his agent.

hoosier
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM

Time 'has been up for too long', may be the assessment for anyone following this closely. For many Packer fans that's the all too obvious and inevitable outcome.

It certainly appears to me that Sam Shields is out of Green Bay ASAP. Something has happened between him and his agent and the Packer negotiator that has steered Sam Shields in this now certain direction.

Isn't it this?

Sam Shields (size aside) is a valuable CB and the Packers failed to offer him a contract that's commiserate with his obvious talent. That man is likely feeling insulted.

Maybe it's something more strictly personal? He needs to leave Green Bay.

His injury yesterday won't deter this result. Sam Shields is as good as gone. That's my analysis.

Please don't kill the messenger. :wink:

Only if some other team commiserates with him in his injured state. :-)

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Only if some other team commiserates with him in his injured state. :-)

Sam Shields will be up to speed in :jig: time hoosier.

His injury sure hurt us yesterday as that game exactly went from his exit.

Ted Thompson better have his eyes open to that fact.

It's not too late but dangerously close to getting there. NFL players want to be recognized and for the short time they have as NFL players that is generally translated in terms of their contracts.

Ted Thompson may have already slammed the door on Sam Shields in Green Bay. Ted Thompson again has demonstrated tow of his most common traits:

Procrastination and uncommon reserve.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 02:45 PM
I'm a little on the fence about spending a lot of money to extend Shields. Very good player, but has missed games every year with injuries (11 missed over 4 years); then they lose him Sunday.

Injury Prone!

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 02:55 PM
Injury Prone!

Therefore we get a Russ Ball (Ted Thompson) deflated offer to Sam Shields.

All is again justified. or

All is now worse with the Packers secondary. No need of a ? mark there.

Teddy will find another CB to replace Sam Shields in some really small College.

Someone with more gratitude than Sam Shields may be 'in fact' demonstrating.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 03:03 PM
This is football. Just about everyone (save perhaps kickers) can and does get injured over the course of 4 years for some number of games.

Injury Prone!

red
01-06-2014, 04:04 PM

we also have to look at the fact that our secondary and coverage is horrid

should anyone be making big money on a secondary that is so bad? tramon is already making a ton

having two highly paid cb's on one of the worst secondaries in the nfl just doesn't seem right

bleacher report only has shields as the 10th best cb in this free agency class

pbmax
01-06-2014, 04:14 PM

should anyone be making big money on a secondary that is so bad? tramon is already making a ton

having two highly paid cb's on one of the worst secondaries in the nfl just doesn't seem right

Of all the starters, to my eyes Shields makes the fewest errors. He has gotten caught staying shallow like he expects deep 1/3 help a few times, but that is about it.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 04:17 PM

If TT allows both to go he's 'in fact' blowing up his teams secondary and he'll never go there.

Patler
01-07-2014, 06:18 AM

My very point in mentioning both the number of games and years played is that, in my opinion, his injury rate is too high. Missing 11 games in four years is a lot, especially when it is not from a single extended injury but a lot of injuries that make him miss a game or two, because the games missed is actually higher since he misses also at least some of the game in which he is injured (unless the injury occurs in practice). These games aren't included as a "missed game" because he was available at the start of the game. So how many games has he really missed, 12? 14? 15?

The real problem with a guy like Shields is that he is injured frequently, and when you need him the most he is not available. He missed essentially all of the game on Sunday and essentially all of the second half in the Super Bowl as a rookie due to injuries during those games, even though statistically he didn't miss either game.

I like the guy as a player, and maybe he will go the next 4 years without missing a game, but I doubt it, and that should be a factor in deciding how much of the limited salary cap dollars should be tied up in him. Sometimes roster bonuses and the like make it workable for the player and the team as with Woodson, sometimes they never get on the same page as with Jenkins and the player leaves. I hope they can work out something with Shields.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 09:37 AM
Its an interesting question. I think Matthews has two areas of injuries that worry me differently. His hamstrings seem to be an issue every year. The level of worry about this in the future is high.

His broken hand seems to be a "in the course of play" kind of injury, where circumstances conspire to break something not ordinarily at risk. Level of concern here is mild.

What have Shields injuries been? Its obviously a knee/ankle now, but I have not seen the injury on replay and somehow I don't remember what happened in the Super Bowl.

Patler
01-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Its an interesting question. I think Matthews has two areas of injuries that worry me differently. His hamstrings seem to be an issue every year. The level of worry about this in the future is high.

His broken hand seems to be a "in the course of play" kind of injury, where circumstances conspire to break something not ordinarily at risk. Level of concern here is mild.

What have Shields injuries been? Its obviously a knee/ankle now, but I have not seen the injury on replay and somehow I don't remember what happened in the Super Bowl.

Shields' Super Bowl injury was to a shoulder in the 2nd quarter. He tried to play later, but lasted only a couple plays. It seems all his other injuries have been lower leg injuries to ankles and calf muscles; with one game for a concussion.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 10:32 AM

He negotiated with a lot of guys. He redid Drivers deal. Redid and tacked onto Al Harris deal. Worked out deals with AR and Mathews. You think he simply told all those guys the way it was going to be and that was that?

I think what you mean is we aren't in cap hell, signing every FA you want, losing our core and therefore you think its arrogance to not give Raji $10 million instead of the 8 offered. I mean, if we were negotiating and weren't so arrogant obviously we would split the diff between the 8 we offered and the 12 Raji wants right?

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Isn't it this?

Again, is this your perception? Mine is that we offered him a good contract commensurate to his obvious talent, but he thinks he is darrel Revis and wants more. Do you think its possible that a 26 year old stud athlete might be the arrogant one, and not the 60 year old man?

falco
01-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Again, is this your perception? Mine is that we offered him a good contract commensurate to his obvious talent, but he thinks he is darrel Revis and wants more. Do you think its possible that a 26 year old stud athlete might be the arrogant one, and not the 60 year old man?

See Greg Jennings... you could argue TT negotiated with him too hard, but that ended up being the right move and he ended up signing for not only less than what we wanted, but less than what we offered him.

TT makes his share of mistakes, but you (Woodbuck) are sure keen to paint him with a broad brush.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 10:44 AM

You have to keep in mind our CBs are playing with idiots at safety who are suppose to give them help.

Also bleacher report is a joke, anyone can write an article for them.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
This team needs speed and more play makers so it only makes sense that TT lets Shields walk right? :confused:

Patler
01-07-2014, 10:48 AM
This team needs speed and more play makers so it only makes sense that TT lets Shields walk right? :confused:

I thought they needed to be bigger and tougher?

pbmax
01-07-2014, 11:12 AM
I think speed is definitely a factor. But looking at position needs, I am not sure its going to pickup with a Safety an ILB and a lineman or two.

Think about what a healthy Mulumba might have been able to do with Kapermick on that run for a first down. You would have never had to consider that Shields lost contain even if it was his job.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM

I'm tired of seeing Kap run past those bigger and tougher guys.

run pMc
01-07-2014, 11:46 AM
You have to keep in mind our CBs are playing with idiots at safety who are suppose to give them help.

+1

Guiness
01-07-2014, 12:09 PM

I was going to mention that using BR as a reference doesn't help your credence, but figured red would get liquored up and start something:whaa:

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 03:03 PM
See Greg Jennings... you could argue TT negotiated with him too hard, but that ended up being the right move and he ended up signing for not only less than what we wanted, but less than what we offered him.

TT makes his share of mistakes, but you (Woodbuck) are sure keen to paint him with a broad brush.

Interesting point. Makes we wonder if the Packers struggle with negotiations at times. But maybe it's the particular players: guys who totally have overvalued themselves, don't discover this error until they try the market, and then are too proud to come back and admit they were wrong. Jenkins, Jennings, and now maybe Raji and Shields may fall into this category? However, I can see a team here or there that will overspend for Shields and maybe Raji.

Pugger
01-07-2014, 03:25 PM

I will say Tramon was starting to look more like his old self these past few games so maybe he's finally starting to feel right again.

red
01-07-2014, 03:36 PM
I will say Tramon was starting to look more like his old self these past few games so maybe he's finally starting to feel right again.

or, maybe he just had a couple of good games where he really kicked it into gear?

it does make the decision to keep him much tougher for me. 4 weeks ago i was saying it was a no brainer to can him and use his cap space somewhere else. now i'd probably say keep him, unless we absolutely need the cap space. but i don't see us needing his cap space

so i hope, he's back to his old self

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
I heard James Jones had been playing with broken ribs.

:lol:

red
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
lol

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 09:15 PM

And faster and more agile. Don't forget smarter.