PDA

View Full Version : Packers FA watch

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
I'm talking about the Packers' own FAs here. Comments and information are already coming out.

From Spotrac (http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/nfl/green-bay-packers/):

Jermichael Finley TE UFA GB TBD 26 $8,750,000
Ryan Pickett DT UFA GB TBD 34 $6,700,000
B.J. Raji DE UFA GB TBD 27 $6,595,000
James Jones WR UFA GB TBD 29 $3,750,000
John Kuhn FB UFA GB TBD 31 $2,543,750
Sam Shields CB UFA GB TBD 26 $2,023,000
Andrew Quarless TE UFA GB TBD 25 $1,368,606
Newhouse RT, T UFA GB TBD 25 $1,360,462
Dietrich-Smith C UFA GB TBD 27 $1,323,000
Michael Neal DE UFA GB TBD 26 $920,000
Rob Francois ILB, LB UFA GB TBD 28 $725,000
Johnny Jolly DE UFA GB TBD 30 $715,000
James Starks RB RFA GB TBD 27 $655,075
C.J. Wilson DE UFA GB TBD 26 $642,590
Lattimore ILB, LB RFA GB TBD 25 $556,668
M.D. Jennings S RFA GB TBD 25 $555,833
Seneca Wallace QB UFA GB TBD 33 $457,412
Matt Flynn QB UFA GB TBD 28 $294,412
Kahlil Bell RB UFA GB TBD 27 $130,588

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
Sarah Barshop ‏@sarahbarshop 8m
Quarless on his future with #Packers: "I’m a big guy about loyalty. This is the team that drafted me. No other team took a risk on me."

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m
One-liner of the year from James Jones: We're sitting here talking about free agency. I could be going to Canada, you never know

Carolina_Packer
01-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 1m
One-liner of the year from James Jones: We're sitting here talking about free agency. I could be going to Canada, you never know

Yesterday's game probably did feel a good bit like Canada!

Tony Oday
01-06-2014, 11:28 AM
James Jones, like him but do not see him as a must have. I think he goes the way of Freeman if he leaves.

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 11:35 AM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 9m
Talked with rookie safety Chris Banjo, who acknowledged his deal was for only one season. Exclusive-rights FA, it's GB's option to renew

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 11:58 AM
Tramon thinks they need more veterans, sounds like he wants them to slow down roster churn: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/6189/do-the-packers-need-more-veterans

“A lot of guys thought they know how to prepare when they were in college and whatnot, but then they get into the league and you find out that it's a different level to preparation,” said 30-year-old cornerback Tramon Williams, who just completed his seventh NFL season. “That's what you're faced with with young guys. Even though we always say it's a young league, yeah, it's a young league but it's an old league, too, because the old guys make the league go. That's the guys who've been there before, who know how to prepare, who mold the young guys. That's what they're there for. I understand that.”

“I had the privilege to play with [Charles] Woodson and [Nick] Collins and Al Harris,” Williams said. “I understand what chemistry in the secondary can do. That's what you try to find when you get a good group of guys. You want to get guys all on the same page. You want guys to see things like you see it if you're the leader of that group. When you can get guys to that point, it slows the game down for everyone in that back end. That's when you start seeing a lot of plays being made out there. Whether it's your play or not, you know where the ball's going and you go in and you make the play. That's what we're trying to get.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-06-2014, 12:03 PM
James Jones, like him but do not see him as a must have. I think he goes the way of Freeman if he leaves.

I believe those two dropped passes yesterday will be big, as he will want to be paid big bucks, but packers will be hesitant to pay big bucks to receiver who doesn't step up for the big games. Hope Im wrong as I like Jones also.

ThunderDan
01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
I believe those two dropped passes yesterday will be big, as he will want to be paid big bucks, but packers will be hesitant to pay big bucks to receiver who doesn't step up for the big games. Hope Im wrong as I like Jones also.

James Jones killed his second "big" contract with drops last time. He may have dented his worth again this time around.

pbmax
01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I am starting to believe that this defense and its young mix are a tough match. Of course having Matthews and Nick Collins healthy and picking up Navarro Bowman would help, but there will be years the youngsters have to make it work.

Can Capers scheme be made to work with young players?

Are they not getting the necessary coaching?

Has anyone talked to Fritz since last night?

denverYooper
01-06-2014, 12:32 PM
EDS:

"I don’t know," Dietrich-Smith said. "I feel good about the year I put together. Obviously I have a lot of fun playing with these guys, I’m very fond of them, but the game is the game, and the business side also happens, too. So, we’ll see what happens."

Dietrich-Smith said he wouldn't "make any predictions" if this was up to him.

"I’ve had a lot of fun with the guys playing," Dietrich-Smith said. "I hope we can continue it, but at the same time I think everybody understands the business side of the game and we’ll just have to wait and see."

(http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/238909601.html)

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Shields, Neal, Starks, Kuhn, Quarless, Finley, Francois, Pickett - sign in that order of importance.

mraynrand
01-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Whether it's your play or not, you know where the ball's going and you go in and you make the play. That's what we're trying to get.

Absolutely. Twill's INT came off this, because he read the QB and came off his man. Collins and Wood could do the same. Need some more experience back there.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Sarah Barshop ‏@sarahbarshop 8m
Quarless on his future with #Packers: "I’m a big guy about loyalty. This is the team that drafted me. No other team took a risk on me."

Translation:

Noone else has contacted my agent about attaining me.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM

I see James Jones snapping TD pass's from Philip Rivers in San Diego.

That just seems like a very logical final career move.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 01:40 PM

It was a balmy 34 Def. F here or +1 Degree Celcius.

Nice here. :-D

QBME
01-06-2014, 01:56 PM
Translation:

That would be called tampering as he is still under contract, and would result in suspensions, fines, etc., etc.

Joemailman
01-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Translation:

Well, that would be tampering if they had.

Cheesehead Craig
01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
That's a lot of money for those top 3 players. Pickett and Finley won't come close. Raji may just on his age and potential alone and on a 4-3 team, he could really shine.

woodbuck27
01-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Tramon thinks they need more veterans, sounds like he wants them to slow down roster churn: http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/6189/do-the-packers-need-more-veterans

I agree with Tramon Williams but Ted Thompson isn't on the same page.

Ted Thompson sticks with his hit and miss - miss - miss - " Ohh Dear, missed again drafting success NOT ", on the defensive side of the ball. This is surprizing to me as Ted Thompson played 'D' in his NFL career.

TT has to hold something accountable for his continuous failure to not draft well at all on 'D'.

A shrug of his shoulders; a head scratch; an excuse of the injury bug; a well ... his attitude now shocks me ( BJ Raji and Morgan Burnett and Brad Jones and M. D. Jennings and Nick Perry and now where has Datone Jones been of late?).

An obvious bent of Ted Thompson's somehow needs to be invisible. Just simply isn't cutting it and as a result must change or get him out of Green Bay. Ted Thompson is failing.

We're in a major mess with regards to our 'D' because Ted Thompson cannot instinctively guage a mans inner strength to play hard, grow and contribute a professional attitude toword the Green Bay Packers success.

Why is that in 'a most likely sense'?

Because Ted Thompson relates to draft prospects as he relates to himself. Ted Thompson is soft and hardly aggressive in his style and personality and such a demeanor doesn't lend positively towards the toughness and respect we need to see in a Green Bay Packer DEFENSE.

Striker
01-06-2014, 04:33 PM
Shields should be a priority. If they can somehow inspire Raji, put him in at nose and tell him to go be disruptive instead of being a space eater. Starks and Jones can walk. EDS is solid, and do you really want to have the Packers try out their fourth center in 2 years?

Give Neal minimum money, he's too often injured to be worth more than that.

Newhouse should be paid to stay away from Green Bay.

red
01-06-2014, 05:30 PM
Shields should be a priority. If they can somehow inspire Raji, put him in at nose and tell him to go be disruptive instead of being a space eater. Starks and Jones can walk. EDS is solid, and do you really want to have the Packers try out their fourth center in 2 years?

Give Neal minimum money, he's too often injured to be worth more than that.

i'm with you on neal. i just don't see what other people see in him. and i how no clue what national announcers see in him

sure he switched positions, but he's still a Jag at his new position

denverYooper
01-07-2014, 12:00 PM
Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 4m
James Jones told me he has been playing with broken ribs since Pittsburgh game. More on blog soon...

QBME
01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Lori Nickel ‏@LoriNickel 4m
James Jones told me he has been playing with broken ribs since Pittsburgh game. More on blog soon...

If this turns out to being even close to true, Packers are in line for a fine....

The NFL's policy on injury reports states that players with "significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice." The rule covers players the team is certain will play in upcoming games.

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 02:29 PM

LOL. They should have left him in Detroit

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 02:40 PM
This post is covered in it's own thread now.

Sorry.

red
01-07-2014, 02:45 PM
If this turns out to being even close to true, Packers are in line for a fine....

The NFL's policy on injury reports states that players with "significant or noteworthy injuries must be listed on the report, even if the player takes all the reps in practice." The rule covers players the team is certain will play in upcoming games.

yeah, you're right

the cowboys are being investigated right now after romo said he had been playing with a bad back when he wasn't listed on the injury report

actually, i think the fine is kind of small. like less then 100,000 for the club

QBME
01-07-2014, 02:58 PM
actually, i think the fine is kind of small. like less then 100,000 for the club

Yep - all I could find was a couple of instances the past two seasons involving the Ravens and the Redskins - a puny $20K fine each.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
Off topic, but we missed Finley in the playoff game. Finley doesn't get a ton of love (deservedly so, in many instances). However, he could have made a world of difference in that playoff game. It sounds like our TEs were a mismatch against the 49ers LBs. A talent like Finley would have some won some of those battles. Plus, he would have been useful in the red zone threat on that last drive.

red
01-07-2014, 04:03 PM
did quarless even have a catch? i remember him having a drop deeper towards the sidelines

do we even use TE's over the middle anymore?

like other teams always seem to have a field day running through the middle of the field. all our routes and passes seem to be outside

pbmax
01-07-2014, 04:41 PM
Q had one nice catch but was invisible at times.

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 05:07 PM
We need FAs who can play with two broken ribs

pbmax
01-07-2014, 05:23 PM

That could be the new Packer conditioning test for workouts. You run some sprints and Mike Holmgren swings a bat at your ribs ala his Levens holdout comments.

Then the football part of the workout proceeds.

Smidgeon
01-07-2014, 05:55 PM

My first thought wasn't that the Packers hid it but that James Jones hid it from the Packers. Does anything say where the information stopped, or is there absolutely no way the Packers didn't know?

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 06:48 PM

JJ wouldn't count as a mid range FA wideout who gets 880 yards and 8 TD's. You have to bring in some other teams FA wideout who doesn't know the system and hasn't worked with ARod for 6 years for it to count as a FA signing.

Bretsky
01-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Wasn't Charles Woodson echoing some of the same thoughts in his latter yrs with GB ?? If I were a CB it'd be hard to trust the guys behind me after this yr and I'd want help there too

Joemailman
01-07-2014, 07:10 PM
TT signs 8 free agents!!!

The Green Bay Packers have signed T Aaron Adams, CB Antonio Dennard, C Garth Gerhart, WR Alex Gillett, RB Orwin Smith, LB Chase Thomas, G Andrew Tiller and T Jeremy Vujnovich. The transactions were announced Tuesday by Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations Ted Thompson.

Most were on their practice squad. :cow:

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 07:28 PM
JJ wouldn't count as a mid range FA wideout who gets 880 yards and 8 TD's. You have to bring in some other teams FA wideout who doesn't know the system and hasn't worked with ARod for 6 years for it to count as a FA signing.

sez you

pbmax
01-08-2014, 01:57 AM
Wasn't Charles Woodson echoing some of the same thoughts in his latter yrs with GB ?? If I were a CB it'd be hard to trust the guys behind me after this yr and I'd want help there too

Yes, but I would believe Charles more if he wasn't the one with the communication problem in his Packer tenure. Sometimes communication problems are really players free-lancing.

Eventually, everyone stopped except Charles and they were OK.

smuggler
01-08-2014, 04:04 AM
It usually worked, though. Still miss Chuck doing his thing...

Smeefers
01-08-2014, 08:50 AM
Shields is the only guy I'm concerned about. Raji is an amazing talent, but wasted on our D. Can't help it, that's the job they're asked to do. Eat blocks for the shitty linebackers behind them. You can't pay a guy big time money when he gets 17 tackles and no sacks in a year.

Career Stats
SEASON TEAM GAMES TACKLES INTERCEPTIONS FUMBLES
G GS TOTAL SOLO AST SCK SFTY PDEF INT YDS AVG LNG TDS FF FR
2013 GB 16 16 17 12 5 0.0 -- 0 -- -- -- -- -- 0 --
2012 GB 14 14 26 16 10 0.0 -- 2 -- -- -- -- -- 0 --
2011 GB 16 16 22 14 8 3.0 0 2 -- -- -- -- -- 0 1
2010 GB 16 16 39 29 10 6.5 -- 3 -- -- -- -- -- 0 --
2009 GB 14 1 25 19 6 1.0 -- 1 -- -- -- -- -- 0 --
TOTAL 129 90 39 10.5 0 8 -- -- -- -- -- 0 1

Note: Does anyone know how to copy and paste spreadsheet info?

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 09:31 AM
sez you
No, says everyone that claims TT never signs FA's.

Smidgeon
01-08-2014, 10:18 AM
Career Stats
SEASON TEAM G GS TOT SOL AST SCK SFTY PDEF INT YDS AVG LNG TDS FF FR

Smeefers: Use [code]data[/code ]

woodbuck27
01-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Shields is the only guy I'm concerned about. Raji is an amazing talent, but wasted on our D. Can't help it, that's the job they're asked to do. Eat blocks for the shitty linebackers behind them. You can't pay a guy big time money when he gets 17 tackles and no sacks in a year.

Career Stats

BJ Raji's decline this season has been dramatic.

He's had as you noted zero SACKS compared to three SACKS in 2010 or his best season and his tackle production has gone from 39 to 17 or a 229% decline.

I cannot see much that that inspired Ted Thompson to offer bj ... $8 M$ / year. Thank goodness he rejected that offer. Good luck to him and getting more. The 'only' place that might come from is Ted Thompson. ;-) Ohh Boy !

I key on him in games and review his performance in recorded games and he's looked bad. It's surprizing to me just how little he contributes. I really don't understand it. I'm just since last night reviewing the defenses performance in week 17 da Bears. Later I'll get to the 49ers @ Packers Jan. 05, 2014. Watching and analyzing that again and so close to last Sunday is going to take strength.

I'll be keying on BJ Raji, Datone Jones, Mike Daniels, Brad Jones, Nick Perry, M.D. Jennings, Morgan Burnett, Davon House, Chris Banjo, Jamarri Lattimore and Andy Mulumba.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
01-25-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/26763/20140124/washington-redskins-rumors-jimmy-graham-jermichael-finley-brandon-pettigrew-dennis.htm

Washington Redskins Rumors: Jimmy Graham, Jermichael Finley, Brandon Pettigrew Free Agent Options After Fred Davis Suspension?

By: Matthew Jussim

Jan 24, 2014 12:26 PM EST

smuggler
01-27-2014, 01:49 AM
Don't be surprised if the Packers show EDS the door. He wouldn't be too expensive to retain, but evidently they REALLY like Tretter and will probably try and fill a backup center spot in the draft.

Also, if anybody actually antes up for EDS, we're in line for a comp pick, and we all know how TT feels about those comp picks. :eyes:

Patler
01-27-2014, 07:53 AM
Don't be surprised if the Packers show EDS the door. He wouldn't be too expensive to retain, but evidently they REALLY like Tretter and will probably try and fill a backup center spot in the draft.

Also, if anybody actually antes up for EDS, we're in line for a comp pick, and we all know how TT feels about those comp picks. :eyes:

Agreed. Larry McCarren and Mike Trgovac have been impressed with Tretter.

Good size, intelligent, strong, good lateral movement, enthusiastic about the position; seems to have a lot going for him.:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-tackle-jc-tretter-showing-skills-at-center-b99158059z1-234857661.html

"He's got a long way to go but I like what I've seen so far," said Larry McCarren, the team's starting center from 1974-'84 who is permitted to watch every practice in full in his role as analyst on the Packers' radio network.

"He looks like a natural knee bender, and that's where your power comes from. He seems to be technique-orientated; he's not all over the place. He's detail-orientated.

"These past three weeks were big," said Tretter. "It was three weeks we weren't sure I was going to get. Whatever happens Tuesday, I'll be able to carry this and learn from it."

Tretter, 6 feet 3½ inches and 296 pounds, weighed 307 at the combine in February after playing two seasons at tight end and two at left tackle for Cornell. He put up 29 reps on the bench press and scored 33 on the Wonderlic intelligence test, numbers that will help him at center.

"I like it," he said. "It's a new position so I'm learning all the tricks of the trade. I think it's going well."

"I'll train and get bigger, faster, stronger," he said. "I feel like I'm strong compared to the rest of the rookie class. I don't see myself as less strong than any other person out here."

Mike Trgovac, who coaches the defensive line, took notice of Tretter in May.

"He looks like he can really fit into this scheme," said Trgovac. "I've seen him do some things where I said, 'Wow. He's going to be a good offensive lineman.'"

Tretter can run, too. His 40-yard dash time of 5.04 seconds compared favorably to draft year times of 5.17 for Dietrich-Smith, 5.18 for Josh Sitton and 5.21 for Lang.

"I think one of my major strengths is I'm able to move side-to-side," said Tretter. "Those movements are a little different than tackle movements. That all will come in time.

"You have to be a pro every step of the way. Not just on the field, but be a pro in the weight room, meetings, when you're alone and studying. You have to be locked in at all times if you really want to make that next step and be great."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/topstories/packers-rookie-tackle-jc-tretter-showing-skills-at-center-b99158059z1-234857661.html#ixzz2rbfVF5lD
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter

mraynrand
01-27-2014, 12:31 PM
"I'll train and get bigger, faster, stronger,"

Damn, he's got the company line down pat, too. The Packers can rebuild him!

bobblehead
01-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Good size, intelligent, strong, good lateral movement, enthusiastic about the position; seems to have a lot going for him.:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-rookie-tackle-jc-tretter-showing-skills-at-center-b99158059z1-234857661.html
I liked those quotes. Good stuff. I would say that his lateral movement was for shit all season long though.

Bretsky
01-27-2014, 07:38 PM
No, says everyone that claims TT never signs FA's.

I gave and still give TT for his attempt at signing quality free agents in Charles Woodson and Ryan Pickett. So never is a rough word. But it's been a while.

Joemailman
01-27-2014, 08:41 PM

EDS has sounded to me like he doesn't expect to be back. The optimist in me thinks that's because he's seen Tretter play.

Bretsky
01-27-2014, 08:43 PM
EDS has sounded to me like he doesn't expect to be back. The optimist in me thinks that's because he's seen Tretter play.

In this offense I don't think you pay a Center big bucks unless he's truly elite and you drafted him from day one. EDS is fine but if he's going to get the big bucks I'd let him go as well

woodbuck27
01-27-2014, 10:29 PM
Career Stats
SEASON TEAM G GS TOT SOL AST SCK SFTY PDEF INT YDS AVG LNG TDS FF FR

Smeefers: Use [code]data[/code ]

Thanks. :-D

That will certainly help me as I'm often posting tabular Stat's.

Joemailman
01-28-2014, 06:37 AM
In this offense I don't think you pay a Center big bucks unless he's truly elite and you drafted him from day one. EDS is fine but if he's going to get the big bucks I'd let him go as well

I agree. I think EDS is just average. I know Rodgers would like some continuity at Center. However, if the Packers don't replace EDS this year, they will be looking for an upgrade in the near future. So the best way to get continuity in the future might be to go with Tretter or someone else now.

pittstang5
01-28-2014, 07:03 AM

I think that's a very good assessment. You can't pay big money to everyone.

I think TT puts a value on certain positions / players. Like you said, if they're elite - he usually pays them. I've often thought TT doesn't put a high value on o-lineman.

EDS is average at best and TT is not going to overpay if he has a player (Tretter) that could be just as good, maybe better. Unfortunately we don't know about Tretter except from what the coaches have said. But what he does in practice might not be the same in real games - see Allen Barbre. It's a crap shoot.

red
01-28-2014, 08:14 AM
I've often thought TT doesn't put a high value on o-lineman.

i don't know about that, sitton and lang are both in the top 25 this year for cap hits for guards (sitton 10, lang 22)

next season they'll both be in the top 20 (sitton 11, lang 18)

Guiness
01-28-2014, 11:47 AM
i don't know about that, sitton and lang are both in the top 25 this year for cap hits for guards (sitton 10, lang 22)

next season they'll both be in the top 20 (sitton 11, lang 18)

That's kind of interesting, and a shift from what the Packers seemed to do recently.

Going back, the Pack had pretty highly paid guards in Whale and Rivera, and now they do again. In the interim, not so much, but maybe it just wasn't warranted, and now it is. I don't know that it's necessarily a shift in thinking (we all seemed to think TT didn't value guards) as it is a shift in the value of the players at the position.

Red - how did you figure out where they were on the list? Go through the numbers yourself or find it somewhere?

denverYooper
01-28-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't know that it's necessarily a shift in thinking (we all seemed to think TT didn't value guards) as it is a shift in the value of the players at the position.

This.

Patler
01-28-2014, 12:26 PM
That's kind of interesting, and a shift from what the Packers seemed to do recently.

Going back, the Pack had pretty highly paid guards in Whale and Rivera, and now they do again. In the interim, not so much, but maybe it just wasn't warranted, and now it is. I don't know that it's necessarily a shift in thinking (we all seemed to think TT didn't value guards) as it is a shift in the value of the players at the position.

Red - how did you figure out where they were on the list? Go through the numbers yourself or find it somewhere?

Between our previous high priced guards and our current high priced guards, he signed a relatively high profile FA at the time who flopped, invested a second round pick in Colledge and a third round pick in Spitz. Colledge and Spitz weren't particularly high priced at the time because they were on their rookie contracts, but certainly the draft picks used to get them were significant. If Spitz hadn't become injury prone, I think he would have gotten a nice second contract at either guard or center. Just couldn't stay on the field. Colledge just turned out to be too inconsistent. Either or both probably would have gotten Sitton and Lang type contracts if they had performed well enough.

mraynrand
01-28-2014, 12:47 PM
he signed a relatively high profile FA at the time who flopped
Adrian Klemm, I presume?

a third round pick in Spitz.
http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/aZ1goLpz5BI9EuMwVByJrg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/jagslinemenkick.jpg

pittstang5
01-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Adrian Klemm, I presume?

He was considered high profile? He's the only FA I can think of from that time period.

mraynrand
01-28-2014, 02:06 PM
He was considered high profile? He's the only FA I can think of from that time period.

I think so. He was a higher pick by NE but played a handful of games. I guess he was injury prone.

Guiness
01-28-2014, 02:12 PM
Between our previous high priced guards and our current high priced guards, he signed a relatively high profile FA at the time who flopped, invested a second round pick in Colledge and a third round pick in Spitz. Colledge and Spitz weren't particularly high priced at the time because they were on their rookie contracts, but certainly the draft picks used to get them were significant. If Spitz hadn't become injury prone, I think he would have gotten a nice second contract at either guard or center. Just couldn't stay on the field. Colledge just turned out to be too inconsistent. Either or both probably would have gotten Sitton and Lang type contracts if they had performed well enough.

Ya, that's kind of my point...it's not that TT wouldn't spend money on guards, the Pack just didn't have any worth spending on.

Who was the high profile FA? Klemm?

Patler
01-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Hey, I said "relatively" high profile, and I didn't say relative to what!!! . :smile::smile:

Seriously though, the year they signed him, he was considered one of the possible "catches" in FA because he came cheaper than established starters, but many were sure he had starter ability based on his 5 years in New England and the fill-in starts he had there. Hid bugaboo was, you guessed it...injuries in New England. I remember a (JSO?) story when he was signed, with comments from numerous scouts saying he would be rock-solid in pass protection and that Favre would love the guy.

Patler
01-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Just looked it up, per my own records, Klemm was the 16th highest paid Packer in 2005 and was the 12th highest in the summer of 2006. Lang was #11 last year.

red
01-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Hey, I said "relatively" high profile, and I didn't say relative to what!!! . :smile::smile:

Seriously though, the year they signed him, he was considered one of the possible "catches" in FA because he came cheaper than established starters, but many were sure he had starter ability based on his 5 years in New England and the fill-in starts he had there. Hid bugaboo was, you guessed it...injuries in New England. I remember a (JSO?) story when he was signed, with comments from numerous scouts saying he would be rock-solid in pass protection and that Favre would love the guy.

didn't they sign another FA lineman that year too? i want to say there was a white guy they brought in that had a decent name and he did even less then klem?

red
01-28-2014, 04:30 PM

there's a couple sites that are good for doing it.

my favorite though is http://www.spotrac.com/

it lets you look at all kinds of different categories and sort them all kinds of ways. you can even look at future and past years

heres this last seasons ranking for guards

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/guard/limit-25/

red
01-28-2014, 04:40 PM
also, if you look at the average pay per year (contract value/amount of years) sitton ranks 8th and lang ranks 13th right now

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G

Smeefers
01-28-2014, 04:47 PM

Career Stats

Just trying out this spreadsheet thing.

Career Stats

pbmax
01-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Klemm was also thought to be a nice get because many thought his relative struggles were also because the Patriots played him at Tackle rather than Guard.

The low cost guy was Matt O'Dwyer.

red
01-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Klemm was also thought to be a nice get because many thought his relative struggles were also because the Patriots played him at Tackle rather than Guard.

The low cost guy was Matt O'Dwyer.

thats who i was thinking of

thanks pb

Patler
01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
I actually liked the O'Dwyer signing at the time, the type of signing I wanted him to do more of. O'Dwyer had over 100 starts in seven years. but had missed most of the two most recent seasons with injuries. He was signed to the vet minimum, and said he just wanted a chance to prove he could still play. Seemed like a good deal for both sides. It just didn't work out, but cost the Packers very little.

Bretsky
01-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I actually liked the O'Dwyer signing at the time, the type of signing I wanted him to do more of. O'Dwyer had over 100 starts in seven years. but had missed most of the two most recent seasons with injuries. He was signed to the vet minimum, and said he just wanted a chance to prove he could still play. Seemed like a good deal for both sides. It just didn't work out, but cost the Packers very little.

I think around the time of this signing your blessing was a curse to a few players. Is this your guilt speaking since you basically ended this poor guys career :)))

Guiness
01-28-2014, 07:19 PM
didn't they sign another FA lineman that year too? i want to say there was a white guy they brought in that had a decent name and he did even less then klem?

O'Dwyer or something? Irish sounding anyways, he was about a 10year vet but didn't make it out of camp and sued the Packers for an injury settlement to boot.

Patler
01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
I think around the time of this signing your blessing was a curse to a few players. Is this your guilt speaking since you basically ended this poor guys career :)))

I seem to have that effect on O-linemen, don't I?

bobblehead
01-28-2014, 11:00 PM
I seem to have that effect on O-linemen, don't I?

You hate sherrod right? Please tell me I'm right.

smuggler
01-29-2014, 12:33 AM
We signed this guy:

http://media.vcstar.com/media/img/photos/2012/12/26/751711_t160.JPG
Ina Liaina

He's a 6'0" 245# FB, runs about 4.8, put up 22 reps at the combine a year ago. He spent this season on the Dolphins practice squad. He's more of an inline blocker and less of a jack-o-trades like Kuhn has been.

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:08 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014-packers-roster-evaluation/2014/1/27/5351120/green-bay-packers-2014-offseason-review-upgrade-offensive-guard-need

2014 Offseason Roster Evaluations

Packers 2014 Offseason Review: Does Green Bay Need to Upgrade at Guard?

By: Evan "Tex" Western  @TexWestern on Jan 27 2014, 3:01 PM

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:16 AM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/1/27/5350818/packers-2014-offseason-review-free-agent-and-draft-guard-targets

2014 Offseason Roster Evaluations

Packers 2014 Offseason Review: Free Agent and Draft Guard Targets

By Jason Hirschhorn  @JBHirschhorn on Jan 27 2014, 12:36p

"As part of our ongoing series this offseason, we're taking a look at position needs and what names to keep an eye on during the coming months. Today's focus: offensive guard."

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:32 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140122/PKR07/301220398/Mike-Vandermause-column-Six-keepers-among-20-Packers-free-agents?odyssey=obinsite

Mike Vandermause column:

Six 'keepers' among 20 Packers free agents

Jan. 23, 2014

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:36 AM
We signed this guy:

Ina Liaina

He's a 6'0" 245# FB, runs about 4.8, put up 22 reps at the combine a year ago. He spent this season on the Dolphins practice squad. He's more of an inline blocker and less of a jack-o-trades like Kuhn has been.

Wes Hodkiewicz @WesHod

The #Packers signed FB Ina Liaina to a two-year deal worth $930,000 (Minimum salaries of $420,000 in 2014, $510,000 in 2015)

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:57 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140116/PKR0101/140116019/Banjo-still-waiting-tender-from-Packers?odyssey=obinsite

Banjo still waiting for tender from Packers

Jan. 16, 2014

GO PACK GO !

Patler
01-29-2014, 05:51 AM
You hate sherrod right? Please tell me I'm right.

I have said before, the guy is done. He will never amount to anything. Bulaga, too. Might as well release them now. Tretter? Career ended by a broken ankle! (Let's see if this works. If it does, I will branch out into other positions. Perry is on my sights!)

pbmax
01-29-2014, 08:44 AM
We signed this guy:

Ina Liaina

Can he learn the fullback dive?

I smell a soft n' small article brewing over at JSO.

Bretsky, does this guy count or would he need to convert to safety? :D

red
01-29-2014, 10:51 AM
the first thing that comes to my mind about that signing, and the only thing that i can think of, is this is gonna be kuhn's replacement

we just need a FB that can pick up the blitz, block for lacy, make the occasional 1 yard run or catch a 2 yard swing pass every now and then

and honestly, that guy doesn't need to be making 2.5 million a year

plus kuhn will be 32 when the regular season kicks off

hoosier
01-29-2014, 11:08 AM
the first thing that comes to my mind about that signing, and the only thing that i can think of, is this is gonna be kuhn's replacement

we just need a FB that can pick up the blitz, block for lacy, make the occasional 1 yard run or catch a 2 yard swing pass every now and then

Hopefully they can re-sign Kuhn for a little less this time around, but don't forget: without Kuhn, Rodgers is lying flat on his back in the last minute of the game on Soldier Field and the Bears win the NFC North.

red
01-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Hopefully they can re-sign Kuhn for a little less this time around, but don't forget: without Kuhn, Rodgers is lying flat on his back in the last minute of the game on Soldier Field and the Bears win the NFC North.

who's to say anybody else couldn't make that play?

we've gotten to the point where we're happy when a guy can just stay on the field and make a play that he's suppose to make 99 times out of 100

KYPack
01-29-2014, 11:25 AM

I go back and forth every season with Kuhn.

Just when I decide we need to shoot him, he makes a key play on a smart read or blitz pickup.

That said, the guy has to lead the all time league high in 3rd and short fails.

Another thing I've noticed is they never seem to bring in a kid (this year looks different) to give him any competition.

Maybe the KOOOOON chant has some effect on the front office.

red
01-29-2014, 11:30 AM
I go back and forth every season with Kuhn.

Just when I decide we need to shoot him, he makes a key play on a smart read or blitz pickup.

That said, the guy has to lead the all time league high in 3rd and short fails.

Another thing I've noticed is they never seem to bring in a kid (this year looks different) to give him any competition.

Maybe the KOOOOON chant has some effect on the front office.

its no doubt he is a fan favorite, but what has he really done to warrant it? other then have the last name kuhn?

and since i've been on a cap number binge. kuhn had the second highest cap number this season for fullbacks at 2.54 million. only 6 fullbacks in the entire nfl made over 1 million last year

3irty1
01-29-2014, 11:39 AM
Lacy frees up a lot of freedom at FB for us IMO. Lacy showed he is reliable as a 3rd down pass blocker last season which means our FB won't need to double as a 3rd down back. Liania is supposed to be a thumper so if nothing else he should be more fun to watch.

Patler
01-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Regarding fullbacks:

The guy they signed - the first thought that came to my mind is that they always have at least two in training camp, and during the off-season they sometimes sign and release several. I don't think the signing right now means a darn thing at this point.

Kuhn - became Kuuuuuuuuhn around 2010, when he actually served as the primary ball carrier for at least portions of a couple games due to injuries. He ended that year with 84 carries. Luckily for him, his contract was up that year too. All of a sudden he was a decent FB, good third down back, who played well on special teams and had just proven that in a pinch he could still be your ball carrier. FBs were still valued then. Leech signed a contract that same year for 3 yrs/$11M. Kuhn got 3 years for $7.5M. Very good timing on Kuhn's part.

Patler
01-29-2014, 11:56 AM
There was this on Tuesday, too:

The Green Bay Packers are working out fullback Jonathan Amosa today, according to a league source.
Amosa is a 5-foot-11, 247-pounder who was withthe Packers during training camp.
Amosa played collegiately at the University of Washington.

During the 2013 off season they had Kuhn, Amosa and Ryan Roberson. Roberson lasted only a couple weeks and was released when they signed Amosa. Amosa was cut at the end of camp.

mraynrand
01-29-2014, 11:58 AM
I read that Kuhn was making a lot of the protection calls and doing other QB functions when Rodgers was out. That's one reason why his playing time increased. Also, he was in there to pass protect because the quick release stuff they had worked on all summer was kaput with the back ups in. Kuhn may have been a lot more valuable than people think (within reason, sine they only won two games). Plus the great pickup at Chicago of course. He's like the running-back equivalent of Mike Prior. And yes, I compared him to another white guy.

Maxie the Taxi
01-29-2014, 12:02 PM
I read that Kuhn was making a lot of the protection calls and doing other QB functions when Rodgers was out. That's one reason why his playing time increased. Also, he was in there to pass protect because the quick release stuff they had worked on all summer was kaput with the back ups in. Kuhn may have been a lot more valuable than people think (within reason, sine they only won two games). Plus the great pickup at Chicago of course. He's like the running-back equivalent of Mike Prior. And yes, I compared him to another white guy.

Calls plays, and other things. Plus, he plays every down. Sounds to me like an offensive version of your favorite inside LB.:grin:

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Lacy frees up a lot of freedom at FB for us IMO. Lacy showed he is reliable as a 3rd down pass blocker last season which means our FB won't need to double as a 3rd down back. Liania is supposed to be a thumper so if nothing else he should be more fun to watch.

Who the hell is liania? Can't seem to find a picture or stats. When I search, it just says 'whodafuckisthisguy'.

mraynrand
01-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Calls plays, and other things. Plus, he plays every down. Sounds to me like an offensive version of your favorite inside LB.:grin:

Exactly. And the Packers pay a premium for guys who know how to relay signals, regardless of any other discernible talent.

bobblehead
01-29-2014, 12:19 PM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140122/PKR07/301220398/Mike-Vandermause-column-Six-keepers-among-20-Packers-free-agents?odyssey=obinsite

Mike Vandermause column:

Six 'keepers' among 20 Packers free agents

Jan. 23, 2014

GO PACK GO !

Largely accurate. I might move a few guys around a bit, but not much off of what most of us think.

mraynrand
01-29-2014, 12:24 PM
Largely accurate. I might move a few guys around a bit, but not much off of what most of us think.

"3. Evan Dietrich-Smith: Two years ago, the Packers let starting center Scott Wells walk and it didn’t go well, so Thompson should learn from that mistake."

But ostensibly, EDS was the mistake. I dunno, I'm not all that impressed with EDS (hey, that rhymes). FA chant of the week: "We need PEDS, not EDS!"

hoosier
01-29-2014, 03:58 PM
who's to say anybody else couldn't make that play?

we've gotten to the point where we're happy when a guy can just stay on the field and make a play that he's suppose to make 99 times out of 100

The Peppers block came after someone else blew an assignment (or an idiotic blocking scheme was called), it was not an ordinary pickup. MM clearly values reliability in pass pro from his running backs, and if Kuhn can do it better than anyone else (and who are we to second guess MM and TT on that?) then the Packers will pay him.