PDA

View Full Version : Tramon Williams

Patler
01-07-2014, 07:31 AM
I will admit, at mid-season I figured he was what he was, but he proved me wrong the second half of the season. We saw the decisive, aggressive player that he was in 2010. He had a nice bunch of interceptions, and could have had even more. So, the obvious questions are, what caused the turnaround, and what does it mean for 2014?

As for the cause of the turnaround in his play, a couple factors come to mind:

- I read, and TW himself mentioned that nerve damage like he had can be notoriously slow to heal, and maybe never heal completely. At one point TW mentioned it could be two years or more to get over it. Maybe his arm finally started feeling better?

- TW may have just gotten over the mental hump of playing with an arm that was different. Perhaps he was cautious about re-injuring it. After Rodgers had been out a couple weeks and things were going poorly, especially for the DBs getting infrequent interceptions, TW commented to one of the reporters that it was time for the veterans to step up and lead, and that he considered himself as one who needed to do it. Maybe self-evaluation got him to step up his game?

- Perhaps it was just a fleeting thing, a player who gets in a temporary zone playing above himself?

What does this all mean for 2014? My guess is that TW locked down a roster spot for 2014 by his play the last 4-6 weeks.

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Much of what's happening or is going to happen with Sam Shields will have a bearing on Tramon Williams remaining in Green Bay.

Is Ted Thompson going to shell out something of the order of $17-18 M$ per season to CB's Sam Shielda and Tramon Williams?

Tramon Williams did play better down the stretch. Before that I had him written out of Green Bay unless he accepted a dramatic cut (in any next?) Packer contract.

Now he might simply have to settle for less money and remain happy to be a Green Bay Packer.

PACKERS !

falco
01-07-2014, 08:08 AM
- I read, and TW himself mentioned that nerve damage like he had can be notoriously slow to heal, and maybe never heal completely. At one point TW mentioned it could be two years or more to get over it. Maybe his arm finally started feeling better?

This. I touted T-Will as a pro bowler when he first came and I think that injury knocked him back a bit.

Would be nice to get him to agree to some level of a pay cut in exchange for adding another 2 years to his deal. Then sign Shields to a long term deal and have those 2 as our outside corners and eliminate that as a position of need. Hayward shores up nickel and Hyde can be a safety or emergency 4th corner.

Patler
01-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Much of what's happening or is going to happen with Sam Shields will have a bearing on Tramon Williams remaining in Green Bay.

Is Ted Thompson going to shell out something of the order of $17-18 M$ per season to CB's Sam Shielda and Tramon Williams?

Tramon Williams did play better down the stretch. Before that I had him written out of Green Bay unless he accepted a dramatic cut (in any next?) Packer contract.

Now he might simply have to settle for less money and remain happy to be a Green Bay Packer.

PACKERS !

I, too, figured he needed to agree to a substantial pay cut to stay in GB in 2014. Now, I'm not so sure. The Packers' asking players to rewrite contracts and take pay cuts is a relatively new phenomena, and seems to involve mostly players with a few years left on their contracts. 2014 is Williams' last year on his existing contract. Williams play wasn't awful like Crosby, who had things to prove. Williams contract isn't long term, like Hawk's. I suspect now that they might just bite the bullet and pay Williams' contract, much like they did with KGB until they released him.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 09:58 AM
I, too, figured he needed to agree to a substantial pay cut to stay in GB in 2014. Now, I'm not so sure. The Packers' asking players to rewrite contracts and take pay cuts is a relatively new phenomena, and seems to involve mostly players with a few years left on their contracts. 2014 is Williams' last year on his existing contract. Williams play wasn't awful like Crosby, who had things to prove. Williams contract isn't long term, like Hawk's. I suspect now that they might just bite the bullet and pay Williams' contract, much like they did with KGB until they released him.

I think they would have to invest new money, with some guarantee or up front money to get that figure down in 2014. Much depends on what he would get upfront from other teams, but I could see the guarantee coming down from 9 to 5-6 mil.

Bossman641
01-07-2014, 10:03 AM
This. I touted T-Will as a pro bowler when he first came and I think that injury knocked him back a bit.

Would be nice to get him to agree to some level of a pay cut in exchange for adding another 2 years to his deal. Then sign Shields to a long term deal and have those 2 as our outside corners and eliminate that as a position of need. Hayward shores up nickel and Hyde can be a safety or emergency 4th corner.

This would be the ideal situation.

I wonder how Hyde would fare at safety though

red
01-07-2014, 10:16 AM
I will admit, at mid-season I figured he was what he was, but he proved me wrong the second half of the season. We saw the decisive, aggressive player that he was in 2010. He had a nice bunch of interceptions, and could have had even more. So, the obvious questions are, what caused the turnaround, and what does it mean for 2014?

As for the cause of the turnaround in his play, a couple factors come to mind:

- TW may have just gotten over the mental hump of playing with an arm that was different. Perhaps he was cautious about re-injuring it. After Rodgers had been out a couple weeks and things were going poorly, especially for the DBs getting infrequent interceptions, TW commented to one of the reporters that it was time for the veterans to step up and lead, and that he considered himself as one who needed to do it. Maybe self-evaluation got him to step up his game?

- Perhaps it was just a fleeting thing, a player who gets in a temporary zone playing above himself?

What does this all mean for 2014? My guess is that TW locked down a roster spot for 2014 by his play the last 4-6 weeks.

or F) he heard all the calls for his head and figured he needed to pick his game back up or else he'll lose out on a whole hell of a lot of money, and i doubt anyone else would pay him top dollar after the last few years he's had

i think we have enough cap space where we don't need to cut him even though he will be counting almost 10 million against the cap next season. however, if somehow we decide that wholesale changes are needed and TT goes nuts in free agency, then i could see him being cut for cap space

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 10:23 AM
I think its a combination of a few things...many that you mentioned. But, pb pointed out in a thread that they stopped trying to use him in the slot around that time. That played a duo factor. 1) He obviously is a better edge corner. 2) Shields was playing so damn well that QB's started avoiding him and forcing things TWill's way. I personally think you have to have them both back along with Hayward.

One thing I don't buy is that he got in a zone for a short time. I don't believe that happens with CB's for more than a game, MAYBE 2. I said it about shields when he was a rookie. In the NFL, you can be a DL and get a few sacks because you faced a bad OL or 2. You can catch a guy sleeping and pick up a tackle for loss. At CB you get attacked when you look vulnerable and you must make repeated plays to make it stop. TWill made repeated plays.

I for one think you have to keep them both and move hyde to safety (unless you can pick up a midrange safety in FA.)

run pMc
01-07-2014, 11:07 AM
It's a passing league. Can't have enough good corners. An 2014 pay cut with additional guarantees/years for TW wouldn't surprise me, especially if Shields (who will get a lot of interest) leaves.
Can Hyde play safety? I think the coaches will try him there, especially with Hayward coming back.

No idea if Nixon or one of the other PS fringe guys will emerge.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 11:10 AM
Keep him and restructure with incentives BOOM!

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2014, 11:20 AM

BOOM! indeed. That's how I'd like to have it done as well. However, unlike how it worked with Crosby, who wouldn't have had much interest in FA, Williams is going to get a fair amount and likely would get more "guaranteed" salary with not having to hit incentives with another team than staying and gambling he'd hit them here. I just don't believe that the Crosby-style contract is going to work with him.

Patler
01-07-2014, 12:04 PM

BOOM! indeed. That's how I'd like to have it done as well. However, unlike how it worked with Crosby, who wouldn't have had much interest in FA, Williams is going to get a fair amount and likely would get more "guaranteed" salary with not having to hit incentives with another team than staying and gambling he'd hit them here. I just don't believe that the Crosby-style contract is going to work with him.

I agree with Craig. There might not be much incentive for Williams to restructure, unless GB is willing to guarantee the same amount (or more) in extended contract.

MadScientist
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
I agree with Craig. There might not be much incentive for Williams to restructure, unless GB is willing to guarantee the same amount (or more) in extended contract.

Williams would likely get more than 8-9 guaranteed if he were cut, so an extension that gives him a bit more, but give cap relief and overall lower salary would be the best the Packers could hope for. Might work, but might also be hard to manage a longer contract with Williams while extending Shields. The Rodgers and Mathews contracts are already starting to hurt.