PDA

View Full Version : CM3

denverYooper
01-07-2014, 09:52 AM
I started writing this as a response to Patler's concerns over Shields, but thought that maybe it deserved its own thread. With the discussion on whether Shields deserved to get paid like a top CB, did Green Bay overpay for Matthews given his injury issues?

Matthews has also missed 11 regular season games in the last 4 years and this years' playoff game. He's also sat out portions of several other games with hamstring issues. Even when he was on the field this year, he was often underwhelming and was playing below pro-bowl level. He's shown the ability to affect games on defense at a DPOY level but his durability is now becoming a concern.

I love Clay as a player and my son has a 52 jersey, but his injury issues are getting to be a bit of a concern.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Mathews has to stop being looked at as an elite pass rusher. He is really fricking good at everything. He needs to be bounced around and use all over the place. As far as injuries go...Who knows, a broken thumb does seem like a fluke thing.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 10:41 AM
It was a fluke injury, if he missed games due to hamstring issues then I would be concerned.

Patler
01-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I started writing this as a response to Patler's concerns over Shields, but thought that maybe it deserved its own thread. With the discussion on whether Shields deserved to get paid like a top CB, did Green Bay overpay for Matthews given his injury issues?

Matthews has also missed 11 regular season games in the last 4 years and this years' playoff game. He's also sat out portions of several other games with hamstring issues. Even when he was on the field this year, he was often underwhelming and was playing below pro-bowl level. He's shown the ability to affect games on defense at a DPOY level but his durability is now becoming a concern.

I love Clay as a player and my son has a 52 jersey, but his injury issues are getting to be a bit of a concern.

Yup. I raised the same questions about Matthews last off-season, before his contract extension, mainly because of his never-ending hamstring issues. But, in fairness to him, 5 missed games were due to his thumb this year. I don't look at a broken bone in the same way that I look at injuries that happen again and again.

But, I have suggested all along that committing big salary cap dollars to Matthews is risky, because it seems like those dollars will be sitting on the sideline for a game or more each season.

Bulaga will be an even bigger can of worms in 2015.

run pMc
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Matthews didn't play to his contract this year -- injuries were a big part of that. His injuries are a concern, and will be going forward as the miles and injuries pile up.
They're also a result of how he plays, and he's their biggest (only?) playmaker on defense. They had to sign him.

If Matthews were healthy, is it possible GB beats SF, or gets more than 8 wins this year? He's usually good for an impact play or two per game, so it would have at least improved their odds.

Bulaga's injuries should impact in-season contract negotiations...they may be fluke injuries, but he's missed a lot of games. Finley too.

Pugger
01-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Mathews has to stop being looked at as an elite pass rusher. He is really fricking good at everything. He needs to be bounced around and use all over the place. As far as injuries go...Who knows, a broken thumb does seem like a fluke thing.

Lets hope all these months until the OTAs this summer will give his thumb ample time to heal completely.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
One good thing about being eliminated is that Rodgers and Matthews both get to heal completely on their own time, without playing while healing. Not much consolation, but ....

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 03:47 PM
But, I have suggested all along that committing big salary cap dollars to Matthews is risky, because it seems like those dollars will be sitting on the sideline for a game or more each season.

I'm not worried about a game or two, for any of the big money guys. Losing guys for a season is a problem. But, sorry, I don't know where to look for guidance, since everyone except Hawk is injury prone. It seems that the implication of your post is that the impact players on the Packers make too much impact; therefore we should mostly sign average guys like Hawk who don't get hurt. If true, t's 6 and one-half a dozen either way - either you have injury free average guys and don't win, or you have 'impact' players who are hurt all the time and you don't win. TT needs to sign only great players who never get injured.

red
01-07-2014, 04:01 PM
lets not forget that clay misses a couple games each year to injury

he also plays big chunks of years with those injuries, and he's usually pretty ineffective when playing hurt

so, while the stat sheet might only show him missing a couple games each year, we're only seeing the real clay about half the time the last few years

injuries don't just hurt a team when the player misses games

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2014, 04:04 PM
I have no problem with the contract that Matthews got. We absolutely need him to be a championship contender. He is one of the top defensive playmakers in the NFL. The salary isn't really that bad. Just have to hope Clay stays healthy. If he misses more playoff games, then the contract is not going to be ideal, but I don't think you have the choice with a talent like Clay. Guys like him don't become available very often.

sharpe1027
01-08-2014, 12:53 AM
He is probably overpaid for what he does on the field. I am OK with that. He brings in a lot of money for the packers through Jersey sales and the like. When healthy, he's the best pass rusher on the team. Disappears for stretches of the game, is not particularly stout against the run and isn't very good in coverage, but still gets to the QB with decent frequency. Maybe he's not as good as his hype and paycheck, but he's still very good.

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2014, 12:57 AM
He is probably overpaid for what he does on the field. I am OK with that. He brings in a lot of money for the packers through Jersey sales and the like. When healthy, he's the best pass rusher on the team. Disappears for stretches of the game, is not particularly stout against the run and isn't very good in coverage, but still gets to the QB with decent frequency. Maybe he's not as good as his hype and paycheck, but he's still very good.

I disagree. He's good in coverage. He's solid against the run. There are times he tries to run around blocks but you could say that about most pass rushers. There are OTs that can neutralize him, so he's not superman, but he seems to make a couple of difference making plays in most games. He's just a damn good all around LB. Injuries are about the only negative I have on him. This team needs him to stay healthy.

sharpe1027
01-08-2014, 01:29 AM
I disagree. He's good in coverage. He's solid against the run. There are times he tries to run around blocks but you could say that about most pass rushers. There are OTs that can neutralize him, so he's not superman, but he seems to make a couple of difference making plays in most games. He's just a damn good all around LB. Injuries are about the only negative I have on him. This team needs him to stay healthy.

I don't know about being good in coverage, he is OK. Not asked to do it often and then it seems to often be to drop into a zone. Maybe I'm wrong. Seen him get swallowed up too often or take himself out of the play to give a solid rating against the run. He's OK at that too, but certainly not stout. He is a good LBer, but mostly because of his pash rush.

I'm not a NFL talent evaluator, but I did drive past a holiday inn the other day.

smuggler
01-08-2014, 01:30 AM
He's an elite player, but not the best passrusher in the world. If we had him as an OLB in a 4-3 do any of you doubt he would still play well?

pbmax
01-08-2014, 01:36 AM
The best thing about Matthews is when he takes chances, they generally pay off. Last season's playoff game aside, he doesn't put the defense at much risk when he freelances as he tends to deliver. As the defense improves, he will take fewer and his success rate will increase.

The asset he has in abundance that helps him is speed. He can close remarkably fast from a standing position.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
PS..Aaron Kampman was still better.

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
lets not forget that clay misses a couple games each year to injury

he also plays big chunks of years with those injuries, and he's usually pretty ineffective when playing hurt

so, while the stat sheet might only show him missing a couple games each year, we're only seeing the real clay about half the time the last few years

injuries don't just hurt a team when the player misses games

I suspect we had a few guys playing hurt on D and that didn't help either. :-(

PA Pack Fan
01-08-2014, 01:41 PM
I have no problem with the contract that Matthews got. We absolutely need him to be a championship contender. He was one of the top defensive playmakers in the NFL. The salary isn't really that bad. Just have to hope Clay stays healthy. If he misses more playoff games, then the contract is not going to be ideal, but I don't think you have the choice with a talent like Clay. Guys like him don't become available very often.
FTFY

Striker
01-08-2014, 02:27 PM
He's an elite player, but not the best passrusher in the world. If we had him as an OLB in a 4-3 do any of you doubt he would still play well?

He could possibly project to DE in a 4-3. He is similar to KGB when it comes to build.