PDA

View Full Version : Hyde at safety

Patler
01-07-2014, 11:06 AM
This gets mentioned a lot. I won't pretend to know if he can do it or not, but to my untrained "eye" he seems to possess some of the things I would look for. If Hayward can return at CB, Shields can be re-signed and T Williams can extend his reclamation while Burnett starts one of his own, maybe they can start putting together a D-backfield again.

I would like to hear what others think about why he would or wouldn't make a good safety.

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 11:09 AM
He could play safety but I think he'll be used more like Bush as a backup type but not a full time starter. TT has to address the safety position this off season though and have has quite a few options in the FA market.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Its dramatic how Hayward's injury affected that backfield. Hyde might have spent some time there already if he was not in the process of winning the nickel CB job in camp.

Cheesehead Craig
01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
I'd be for it. Given there's nothing in FA or the draft really at S, put the kid back there and let him learn. Frankly what other choice is there?

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm on the bandwagon for this. The draft is weak at safety, but there are FA safeties available--from a top level guy like Jarius Byrd to decent starters like T.J. Ward (had a really good year for Cleveland), Malcolm Jenkins, Donte Whitner, Kendrick Lewis, Major Wright, etc. There are even a few guys that were kind of busts before this year who had solid years--like Nate Allen. Could have just been a contract drive or they could find somebody who has finally turned the corner.

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
T.J. Ward made all-pro. He is going to be untouchable in FA (way out of the Packer's budget) if the Brownies don't do something to keep him.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 04:43 PM
I heard James Jones played somewhere with two broken ribs.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 06:51 PM
I heard James Jones played somewhere with two broken ribs.

He got them when he Hyde lined up at safety in practice and laid a hit on him....HYDE FOR SAFETY!!!

Bretsky
01-07-2014, 06:58 PM
I'm torn on this. On one hand I'm all for it. Truth be told the experiment should have started 8 weeks ago so we'd have a better idea by now.
We'd had horseshit at the 2nd safety spot all year long. I'm at the point where we need to bring in a reliable average "starter" and stop dicking around with young projects.

Bring in a starter and teach Hyde how to master the position along the way would be my vote.

Joemailman
01-07-2014, 07:31 PM
ABMDJ!!

(Anyone but M.D. Jennings)

Hyde is fine with me. I'm not sure how much upside he has, but he can tackle, and strikes me as the type of player who would be assignment-sure.

I'd still want Dix in the draft if he's available.

Bossman641
01-07-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm on the bandwagon for this. The draft is weak at safety, but there are FA safeties available--from a top level guy like Jarius Byrd to decent starters like T.J. Ward (had a really good year for Cleveland), Malcolm Jenkins, Donte Whitner, Kendrick Lewis, Major Wright, etc. There are even a few guys that were kind of busts before this year who had solid years--like Nate Allen. Could have just been a contract drive or they could find somebody who has finally turned the corner.

Trust me when I tell you Major Wright is not a decent starter.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 09:12 PM
ABMDJ!!

(Anyone but M.D. Jennings)

Hyde is fine with me. I'm not sure how much upside he has, but he can tackle, and strikes me as the type of player who would be assignment-sure.

I'd still want Dix in the draft if he's available.

I think Kerry Rhodes would be a great signing, but I heard he wants Dix as well.

red
01-07-2014, 09:34 PM

well md jennings is a horrible starter

is wright at least better then jennings?

Carolina_Packer
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
I think Kerry Rhodes would be a great signing, but I heard he wants Dix as well.

:rs:

Hi-oooooooo!

RashanGary
01-08-2014, 12:09 AM
I like it too. Hyde has a lot of instincts and toughness. They say his understanding of what offenses are trying to do is really developed. SS would be an excellent spot for him, IMO.

Rodgers12
01-08-2014, 01:32 AM
He could play safety but I think he'll be used more like Bush as a backup type but not a full time starter. TT has to address the safety position this off season though and have has quite a few options in the FA market.

Agreed. Hyde is a nice dime back/st player.

The Packers need a fast, hard-hitting safety.

Bossman641
01-08-2014, 07:03 AM
well md jennings is a horrible starter

is wright at least better then jennings?

If he's an upgrade it's by the slimmest of margins. Probably better physically but not assignment sure at all.

run pMc
01-08-2014, 08:16 AM
Can't find the source, but thought I read somewhere online that Hyde played a couple of games at S for Iowa and didn't exactly play well enough for the coaches to leave him there.
Maybe a full-time commitment would make the switch work. I also think he's a little light for a safety, but he should be able to add 10# of muscle.

KYPack
01-08-2014, 08:25 AM

I heard the problem was that Rhodes wanted Dix as well.

Smeefers
01-08-2014, 08:28 AM
Safety's generally range from the 5' 9" - 180 # to 6'2" 230 # range. He's 6' 197#, so he's right in there for height and weight. When he was scouted, I remember his mental abilities being a major plus. He was supposed to be a little slower, but much smarter than the average corner with good instincts. Given a whole offseason of training on the position, I don't see the move to safety being that detrimental to his growth process and as long as he's a sure tackler, I don't have a problem with the move.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
He reminds me of Leroy Butler. Butler was a college corner, heady guy. Ran something like a 4.6 which is slow for a corner. Wolf drafted him and I think moved him to safety before camp was over.

Some guys have a head for the game. Butler did. Hyde does. He doesn't quite have the full skill set for CB, and I don't think he can be Nick Collins or anything, but a solid NFL starter...hell yes.

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Are you sure about Butler's 40 time? I remember being excited about the pick... partly because of his speed. Butler played at least his first year and maybe his second year at corner. I think they moved him to safety after they draft Buckley.

HarveyWallbangers
01-08-2014, 09:50 AM

Yeah, I think you are right. I was reading another forum, and somebody posted something about Wright being solid. I didn't watch the Bears that much this year to know if that were true. Studying the metrics now, he had an awful year.

T.J. Ward, Donte Whitner, and Jarius Byrd had very good years--according to the metrics. Kendrick Lewis and Nate Allen were okay. Malcolm Jenkins and Major Wright were not very good. Only Wright was rated lower than M.D. Jennings though. So, almost all of them would be an improvement over Jennings. Not sure about Richardson though.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Are you sure about Butler's 40 time? I remember being excited about the pick... partly because of his speed. Butler played at least his first year and maybe his second year at corner. I think they moved him to safety after they draft Buckley.

NOt 100%. It could have been 4.57 and I rounded up in my mind. I may have read it somewhere unverified. I do know he wasn't lighting on the field, but I also am one of the most notorious "40 time is overrated" guys around. Don't misunderstand me, to be elite you need it. Sam Shields recovers faster than Davon House. Thing is, guys play dinged up all the time. What do you think Mulumba's 40 time was by the end of the game? Guys who know the game and get into position, play the right leverage etc are where its at. Desmond Bishop was too slow as well, but he always took the right angle (even if stubby claimed it was to the wrong gap).

pbmax
01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Rhodes moved Butler to safety I think.

Patler
01-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Butler played corner for two season, one as #3 corner, the second as a starter. In Butler's third season, Holmgren/Rhodes/Wolf rebuilt the backfield. They signed Lewis Billups as one starter at corner, moved Vinnie Clark into the starting lineup at the other corner, and drafted Buckley. Butler was moved to safety, and wasn't especially thrilled about it, as I recall.

call_me_ishmael
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I would like to see a dramatic move here. Money issues aside (leave that to the cap man), I would like the #1 or #2 safety in FA. I also think a solid guy like Calos Dansby could be had on the cheap due to age. Bring 'em in, and draft some guys to play behind them as well.

They cannot possibly rebuild the DL, ILB and S in the same off-season without utilizing free agency. We all know these areas need to be rebuilt, so FA is gonna have to happen.

The cap is supposed to go way up in a year or two, right?

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:08 PM

I would think any of these guys would be an upgrade over what we have right now. :|

Pugger
01-08-2014, 01:11 PM
He reminds me of Leroy Butler. Butler was a college corner, heady guy. Ran something like a 4.6 which is slow for a corner. Wolf drafted him and I think moved him to safety before camp was over.

Some guys have a head for the game. Butler did. Hyde does. He doesn't quite have the full skill set for CB, and I don't think he can be Nick Collins or anything, but a solid NFL starter...hell yes.

And that's all we really need, a solid starter that knows what in the hell he is doing back there. Our guys too often for my liking had no clue at times. :-(

mraynrand
01-08-2014, 01:48 PM
Rhodes moved Butler to safety I think.

Ray Rhodes always was an excellent position coach (secondary).

pbmax
01-08-2014, 02:10 PM
Ray Rhodes always was an excellent position coach (secondary).

He did OK with the defense too, though he had fantastic personnel.