PDA

View Full Version : Did you play?

GrnBay007
08-27-2006, 02:25 PM
Curious to know if our fans on Packer Rats played the game or never played and are passionate football fans.

Also, for those that played, how old were you when you started playing organized football? (pop warner or other)

retailguy
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Played high school football back in the stone age. I was not very good, but I wanted to be..... :shock: :sad:

BallHawk
08-27-2006, 02:48 PM
I play around the neighborhood, but I played a little flag when I was 10. I don't play organized, because here, if you haven't been doing it since you were 5, you're stuck on the o-line. The coach's son plays QB, and his friend plays WR, and his workmate's son plays WR. It's so contrived for example; In one practice we were doing workouts for QB and it was me and the coach's son. The drill we were doing was throwing to 2 WR, covered by 2 CB We were throwing from the 20 yard line.. He went first and went 3 for 10, with 3 TDs and 2 INT's. On my turn, I went 8 for 10, with 2 TDs and 1 INT. Afterwards the coach said, "Well, we all know who the winner was here, Casey!" Afterwards the coach told me, "To work on my accuracy." Of course the kid ahead of me was about as accurate as Kyle Orton, but whatever. I haven't played organized since.

]{ilr]3
08-27-2006, 02:53 PM
Played My Senior Year for Tri-Valley High School in South Dakota. We were small so we played 9-Man. We were picked to lose almost every game in the picks made in the Sioux Falls Argus Leader. We only lost 3 games all year. One to to our Biggest rivals, and one to one of the worst teams in our division after we knew we were in the play offs. We then went all the way to the State Championship, beating the rival spoken about earlier to get there. We got to play in the Dome at USD :shock: We lost the game, but what a riot it was!

I played tight end and I was a dumb, smart ass kid who pissed off the coach. So I got a lot of reps as a tackling dummy in practice and played on special teams alot :mrgreen:

hurleyfan
08-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Played "street touch football" as a kid, then highschool ball. I could throw the ball as anyone in our area but was pretty short so I never got what I thought was a fair shake to be QB. Freshman year we were getting beat by eventual state champion 48 - 0 late in 4Q, so our wonderful coach gave me a shot! Figured we had nothing to lose so asked if we could run some no huddle pass plays(almost un heard of in HS 30 years ago) and we completed the first 3 plays for about 40 yards. Then the "bad guys" gave us an all out blitz, ran through our line and about 4 guys hit me. That's the day I learned what torn ACL meant! :cry:

Rehab brought me to the game of tennis, good for leg strength, change of direction, and co-ordination, and also end of my football career. Got a FUGLY scar though!!

Homer Jay
08-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Played "street touch football" as a kid, then highschool ball. I could throw the ball as anyone in our area but was pretty short so I never got what I thought was a fair shake to be QB. Freshman year we were getting beat by eventual state champion 48 - 0 late in 4Q, so our wonderful coach gave me a shot! Figured we had nothing to lose so asked if we could run some no huddle pass plays(almost un heard of in HS 30 years ago) and we completed the first 3 plays for about 40 yards. Then the "bad guys" gave us an all out blitz, ran through our line and about 4 guys hit me. That's the day I learned what torn ACL meant! :cry:

Rehab brought me to the game of tennis, good for leg strength, change of direction, and co-ordination, and also end of my football career. Got a FUGLY scar though!!

Was eventual state champ by any chance Maple Northwestern?

hurleyfan
08-27-2006, 03:57 PM

Homer,
Shenendahoah (upsate NY)

hurleyfan
08-27-2006, 03:58 PM

Were you on THAT state champ? Break a little kids knee in HS?!?

red
08-27-2006, 04:33 PM
i played organized tackle in the south until 7th grade, yes they start early down there

i was being groomed to be the starting high school qb already when i was in 7th grade. which i had no idea why, i was slow as hell with no arm at all, but the coach liked my attitude and smarts. i gotta say, being groomed to take over a varsity team 2 years before you get there is a lot for a kid

my family moved after football in 7th grade to a massive b-ball city. which was fine by me cause i loved b-ball. so i just worried about that and soccer, which i played my whole life. in 8th i didn't go out for the team because i didn't know anyone, and the ones i knew i hated. so i played for a traveling soccer team, and a funny thing happened. somewhere between 7th and 8th grade i went from one of the slowest kids i knew, to one of the fastest 8th graders in the chicagoland area. so i started running track

then we moved

now i was in another school were i knew no one, we moved there just a few weeks before classes started, so i already missed the start of practice for freshman year. so i didn't play. then track season started and everyone found out i could fly. then i started getting stopped by people trying to talk me into playing football. at this point i was 5'11 and 125 and hadn't played in a couple years. so i said no i would just get broke on my first hit, they wanted me to be a freaking running back. i would have died

so i didn't play in high school. then i went to college and another funny thing happened. we use to play pickup games all the time and intermural flag football, and all of a sudden out of no where i had developed a cannon of an arm. no here i am in college working out all the time, bulked up with a rifle arm and couldn't be caught from behind by anyone, and wondering what might have been

so to sum up, i played every kind of football up to high school. but really wish i would have kept playing

morle of the story is, grab your opportunities when you have a chance. and you only get to live once, don't pass up something you'll regret later

but at least i'm not one of those old guys that talkes and dreams about the good old days playing high school football

i'm just one of those old guys that dreams and talks about what might have been if i had played high school football. they have to base theirs on facts, i can make mine up from scratch

Charles Woodson
08-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I played 3 years of middle school, not doing it as a freshman in high school, but maybe last year. Football really is my passion and i love playing it, ive played a varriety of postions, started of as DB, went to reciver and played D-end, i guess i liked all three but i would have to say d-end was my favorite, its alot of work, but on game day when u nail that qb, its all worth it...also do the kicking and punting

Rastak
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Played tons of pickup football, then played in a 10-12 year old league as a MLB, T and TE. Played freshman football in high school but quit for good to play garage band music.....actually, I played some pickup street football in the early 80's after I got married.

Mazzin
08-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Posting my Boyfriends Info, I'm ALWAYS trying to get that son of a bitch to sign up here. I even told that fucker that he would be addicted....anyways.

He has been playing football since pee wee, he played Center in pee-wee...
Middle School he Played Fullback, and Inside linebacker.
And than Highschool played Tightend and ROLB, he was good, became a captin his Sophmore year, and only played LB, but His Junior year he started playing both ways, in his freshman year he was on J.V. started both ways but no one cared about JV so he just was mostly a practice hitting dummy!

Good thread, i need to get that bitch on here!

pacfan
08-27-2006, 08:19 PM
HS football and pick-up games.

Played JV and Varsity.

MLB on the JV squad and DT/DE for varsity (started for both).

Our HS teams sucked, 1-8 or something like that. We had some terrible racial politics on our team, which was unfortunate because as players we all got along fairly well. Our team would always end fighting the other school ( before, during and after the game). The players stuck-up for one another (no, not like the Titans-no state champs here).

The parents and the coaches were all about race and it showed.

I destroyed both of my shoulders playing football and had to have reconstruction on the right shoulder.

Greatest team sport ever!!!

Deputy Nutz
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Well I played ten years of organized tackle football. My body has taken its lumps and bruises but luckily I have never had to have surgery due directly to the sport, but eventually my rotator cuff needs to be fixed up, and my ankle could use a little clean up, but all and all I am good.

Started playing tackle football in 7th grade, before that I played organized flag football in third grade.

We won the state championship my freshman year, although like most freshman I wasn't on varsity, then we played for the championship my sophomore year which I was on Varsity, then my senior year we won the state title.

I went to a small division 3 college for two years and started for a year, and lettered for both, then I took a year off and then played two more years at another division 3 college.

AtlPackFan
08-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Played my freshman year and realized very early I HATED grass drills. Stuck with basketball and baseball after that.

VegasPackFan
08-27-2006, 10:52 PM
I played 4 years of high school football. Was MVP of my team Freshman and Soph year, then moved to Sioux Falls SD for my last 2 years and kinda had to start over. We went to the state championship game my senior year, where we lost and I blew out me knee, for my first surgey (would have 2 more in later years).

We played in the dome a few times besides that too. I blame that and my first 2 years of playing every down for my knee problems today, but I wouldnt trade it for anything.

It was pretty cool playing in that dome.....

By the way, Killer, where was tri-valley?

Noodle
08-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Typical southern kid -- pads football from 5th grade through senior in high school. I loved playing pick-up tackle much more than the organized variety. Southern football can be a little, well, a lot over the top -- lots of former drill instructor-type coaches, and while I loved some of my teammates, the game also tends to attract more than a few a-holes. To be honest, I got sick of the whole thing by the end. No college offers, and so it ended.

Found other sports to play to try to keep from having a flabalanche.

woodbuck27
08-27-2006, 11:49 PM
Yea! The bunch I grew up with were heavy into sports.

We went to school, ate, slept, girl'd and played sports.We invented sports to play...one called "Wall Ball".

We played touch, flag and tackle football alot.

That didn't compete with one of OUR favourite Sunday afternoon past times, when we could get about 2 dozen of the fella's rounded up for a pick em'... organized "rock fight".

Lots of blood and stiches there. :mrgreen:

Bretsky
08-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Played football, basketball and baseball in HS. Football was my worse sport. Younger brother was all conference at each of those sports. I grilled him a lot; I'm decent at everything but no star at anything. Probably a better teacher than player; that's why I want a boy some day.

B

Partial
08-28-2006, 12:50 AM
Kick ass tennis player(for not being a rich kid who played his entire life), too small for division 1 football. Played a lot of baseball in my youth, too. I played 2nd base and pitcher. I had an alright arm in terms of location but I couldn't do any fancy pants pitches or anything.

the_idle_threat
08-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Never played at any level.

Tried out for a local amateur tackle football team a few years back and the coach was salivating because by outward appearance (height weight & build) I looked a lot like an NFL guard. He thought he had a ringer & put me at left tackle in the first practice.

Team was a startup, disorganized and fell apart after maybe half a dozen practices ... coaches started to quit, then players.

With absolutely zero experience on any level, I was flat out horrible in many of the drills ... it would have taken a long time for me to get all the technique down ... so I was kind of relieved we never got to playing games where I might have been responsible for getting the QB destroyed.

Only halfway serious team sport I have ever played was rugby in college ... but no regrets. :mrgreen:

Tony Oday
08-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Played HS football all four years. I was a Kick/Punt returner and WR for the majority of the 4 years. Played Varsity as a freshman returning kicks talk about scared shitless! I was a little guy but the guys always looked out for me.

Played ALMOST every position in a game through 4 years including all O line positions. One game we had 7 injured linemen, though only 5 didnt come back in the game. HAd to run out because I knew the offense the best. Never Kicked but did have one punt for 30 yards :) hehe that was funny.
Life time runnning stats 2 carries -7 yards 1 TD. I had a 15 yard loss on a reverse :) the other carry I went in motion to the backfield and ran off guard for 8 yards into the End Zone. My fullback was 6-1 235 ripped so basically I hid in his shadow and nobody could see me.

I wasnt a physical specemin that is for sure but I knew the game and was quick enough not to get killed!

After HS I went to Winona State a DII school and didnt even try because I wasnt that good but I did get into Rugby and DAMN was that fun :)

Astonishment
08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I played high school football. As a freshman I made varsity (HB and CB) - starting at HB. After my freshman year we moved and although the coach of the city we moved to came to our house to get me on the team my parents put me in a private school so I never played organized football again.

I have always wondered how I would have done had I been able to play, but since I tore my knee up playing soccer (which I actually liked as well) I don't think my body would have held up in the long run. That said football has been my first love since that freshman year.

Little Whiskey
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
i played CB in school. matter of fact i shut down Darren Charles!! i always thought he was overrated :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the_idle_threat
08-29-2006, 12:48 AM
LOL @ LW! :lol:

Charles Woodson
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
i played CB in school. matter of fact i shut down Darren Charles!! i always thought he was overrated :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

speaking of that, where is that little sob??

oregonpackfan
08-29-2006, 10:15 AM
I played middle school football but was plagued by "Skinny Man's Disease."
In a realistic decision, I did not go out for Hich School football, as I was a 5'8" 125 pound freshman.

By my senior year, I "blossomed" up to 5'11" and 135 lbs. I played pickup tackle games and touch football during and after high school.

I finally used my "Skinny Man's Disease" to run track in high school. I still was not very fast but was a miler.

As a young adult, I came to enjoy road running events such as 10K runs, marathons, and Oregon's famed Hood-to-Coast 195 relay run.

I followed, and continue to follow, the Packers, Badgers, Ducks, and Beavers. Growing up a Cheesehead in Wisconsin, I was a faithful follower of the state's "Mandatory Religion" of being a Packer fan. My "faith" continues even though I now live in Oregon.

OPF

KYPack
08-29-2006, 03:01 PM

Classic.

It's cool.

Tank never did it, either.

Partial
08-29-2006, 03:57 PM

Classic.

It's cool.

Tank never did it, either.

I'm not going to lie I was a marching band dork. I rocked the field at half-time. It was fun, though. I played alto sax first three years, and then I switched to the brass instrument baritone (not a baritone saxaphone) to try to learn how to play brass. I met my girlfriend that way, and I must say its been probably the most positive experience i've have in my life. It was a ton of fun!

jack's smirking revenge
08-29-2006, 04:14 PM
Never played football in H.S. Returned to the states from living in Europe my sophomore year in H.S. and created my H.S.'s soccer team since they didn't have one. It didn't take off and become an official school sport until the year after I had graduated (I had to return from college and go in front of the school board), but it still exists today.

tyler

Badgepack
08-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Played since 8th grade until soph year, High School coach was a dick and got into it with him. Played wing back and linebacker, pretty sticking average player.

I remember playing tackle basketball in elementary school, back when it used to snow alot in Wisconsin, hammering each other into the snowbanks. Basically combination of b-ball and f-ball in the snow. It was a blast.

BEARMAN
09-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I played Pop Warnner, 8th grade football, Freshman football, 3 years HS Varsity football and 2 yrs for the Oregon Ducks. I played TE and LB. I was a starter at all levels but collage.