PDA

View Full Version : Blame the Unit Responsible

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:05 PM
Special Teams do not count because in a rare moment, almost everyone on board agrees the Special Teams would be better coached and manned by puffer fish.

Did the offense lose the game? Was its horrid first half performance and barely acceptable 2nd half performance responsible for at least 51% of the blame in this game?

Or was it the Defense and its inability to stop long drives and late scores that took ignominy as its creed into the offseason?

Striker
01-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Every unit had a screw up in this game that contribute to the loss.

The offense needs to put more points on the board.

The defense needs to hold onto those picks and not let Kaepernick run wild.

The special teams needs to not screw up the field position game.

Give all of them 33.33 (repeating) percent of the blame.

Pugger
01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
If we could have gotten a stop in the 4th quarter and gave the ball back to our offense with time left I suspect we could have pulled it out. Yes, the D played well but the same damn problems cropped up again like the have all year - losing contain and not being able to get off on 3rd down. But in reality it was a team loss and one side of the ball wasn't more responsible for the outcome of the game than the other.

red
01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
i would like a defense that can actually win a game, not just play "well enough where the offense should have one it"

with our defense the way it is, the offense has to have big games in order to win. if the offense has an average game, like we saw sunday, we aren't winning

thats the way i look at it if you catch my drift

yeah the offense was "off", yeah the defense played better then usual, but i still think the O side outplayed the D side for the most part

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:11 PM

Sorry, nice but unacceptable. Correct answers must be the most appropriate choice from among the listed options. Original thinking is not encouraged in Poll Land.

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:12 PM
i would like a defense that can actually win a game, not just play "well enough where the offense should have one it"

with our defense the way it is, the offense has to have big games in order to win. if the offense has an average game, like we saw sunday, we aren't winning

thats the way i look at it if you catch my drift

yeah the offense was "off", yeah the defense played better then usual, but i still think the O side outplayed the D side for the most part

Its one game, no an offseason strategy. Who played worse, offense or D in that game?

red
01-07-2014, 03:21 PM
well then, i think they both played equally bad

but, the offense made some big plays when they needed them, defense only had one (tramons int) and blew many other opportunities

offense also seemed to get better as the game went on, where the defense folded late when they needed to be strongest

also, the weather and the cold should have helped the defenses IMO. 177 yards and 1 td for a-rod i consider to be ok in those conditions. kap being able to throw for more then that in shitty conditions and adding almost 100 yards rushing is too much for me

i would say defense, but not by much in this game. like 52-48, 55-45 at the most

pbmax
01-07-2014, 03:28 PM
well then, i think they both played equally bad

but, the offense made some big plays when they needed them, defense only had one (tramons int) and blew many other opportunities

offense also seemed to get better as the game went on, where the defense folded late when they needed to be strongest

also, the weather and the cold should have helped the defenses IMO. 177 yards and 1 td for a-rod i consider to be ok in those conditions. kap being able to throw for more then that in shitty conditions and adding almost 100 yards rushing is too much for me

i would say defense, but not by much in this game. like 52-48, 55-45 at the most

Please vote away.

denverYooper
01-07-2014, 03:30 PM
The offense was worse. They just sat out the first quarter. The tackles both struggled mightily. Rodgers held the ball too much. WRs and RBs dropped too many balls. Lacy was fine, but they should have put Starks in on an early series and let him try to rip one off.

red
01-07-2014, 03:32 PM
Please vote away.

oh, i didn't see the poll up there

i thought this was just a Q n A thing

Brandon494
01-07-2014, 03:51 PM
If you would have told me our defense would hold SF to 23 points before the game I would have booked us for a win.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Defense for this game, and defense all year. The HOPE was always on the offensive side, and I looked forward to when they were on the field. I NEVER looked forward to the defense being on the field.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 04:00 PM
This game...OFFENSE. Three and out first 3 possessions. Enough said. By the time they decided to play the defense was gassed and without 2 more starters. The defense provided early bend but don't break and a turnover. Based on the early going, we should have been in front and making SF one dimensional.

That being said, the officiating sucked all weekend. I am convinced they have marching orders not to call helmet to helmet, or virtually anything in the playoffs. Last year was no different. All season long we see fireworks on offense and shootouts, then the playoffs start and DB's are damn near tackling guys, LB's are spearing RB's, and OL are holding to high hell. Not just our game, every game. I can't imagine playing one way all year and trying to adjust come playoffs.

red
01-07-2014, 04:10 PM
This game...OFFENSE. Three and out first 3 possessions. Enough said. By the time they decided to play the defense was gassed and without 2 more starters. The defense provided early bend but don't break and a turnover. Based on the early going, we should have been in front and making SF one dimensional.

on the flip side, if the defense doesn't let the 9ers march down the field after those first two 3 and outs by us, then they don't get the FG's that turned out to be the difference

yes, its great they didn't give up TD's, but we only lost by a FG. maybe if the defense gets a hold on those first 2 drives and hold the 9ers to a punt we win the game?

hell, they didn't have a punt in the first half did they?

their first drive we gave up a ton of yards and a fg.
their next drive we had a shitty punt and didn't have to go too far for another fg
their next drive we get the INT
we then have the momentum and the offense clicks in and we drive down for the TD
we then lose all momentum when the D falls apart and allows a 5 play 68 yard TD drive

the defense played pretty good for them, but it was still pretty shitty

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 04:23 PM
Good points Red, but we knew going in the defense was ranked 25th and the offense 3rd. Which unit should carry the load?

Joemailman
01-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Offense. Defense did about as well as could be expected given the injury situation, both heading into the game, and as the game transpired.

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 04:48 PM

That's a fair assessment.

The Packer offense was certainly stuttering or sub par on that day.

I voted that the loss falls on the Packer Defense. Once the Packers held the lead late in the fourth quarter it was on the defense to get the ball back to the offense.

The defense failed it's primary duty need right there. I've been given a choice between the 'O' or 'D' for the primary blame for the loss and that in my view falls on the defense.

For too many reasons to go into here we saw a lowest one third NFL defense do as good as it could and still lose it for us on the day.

This:

*** TD 10:31 Vernon Davis 28 Yd Pass From Colin Kaepernick (Phil Dawson Kick)

S Morgan Burnett out of position and missing a relatively easy Pick and AJ Hawk having his back to the ball and if he simply turns his head upfield he has a shot at a pick or a near certain pass defense. They gave up a gift TD there to Vernon Davis.

49ers 20 - Packers 17

*** The blown 'Pick Six' by Micah Hyde.

*** The score was 20-20. The blown Colin Kaepernick contain by Jarrett Bush and Kaep ducking out for a vital 49er first down. If our 'D' hold them there we're OK.

These last possession BIG PLAYS by SAN FRAN 49ers:

San Francisco 49ers at 5:06 remaining in the 4th Qtr.

** Ouch**

3rd and 10 at SF 31 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick pass short middle to M.Crabtree to SF 48 for 17 yards (M.Hyde).

** OUCH**

3rd and 8 at GB 38 (Shotgun) C.Kaepernick left end ran ob at GB 27 for 11 yards (T.Williams).

*** There's simply too many on the Packer 'D' that's flat out not good.

PACKERS !

red
01-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Good points Red, but we knew going in the defense was ranked 25th and the offense 3rd. Which unit should carry the load?

well like i said in a previous post

why does it always have to fall on the offenses shoulders?

it would be nice if we could win games when the offense only puts in an average game like the one i think they played sunday

mraynrand
01-07-2014, 05:09 PM
well like i said in a previous post

why does it always have to fall on the offenses shoulders?

it would be nice if we could win games when the offense only puts in an average game like the one i think they played sunday

See for reference 2010! Let's hope TT can put together another defense like that, APRH

MadScientist
01-07-2014, 05:20 PM
The defense never made a stop after the Packers got a tie or the lead. Other than the opening drive, every Packers possession started with the Packers trailing. That said, the offense did have a pathetic start to the game. The offense played the last 3 quarters of the game, the defense played the first 3.

Fosco33
01-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Bak's penalty end of 1st half negated a 1st/goal @5 with at least 2 (maybe 3) shots at 7 (settled for 3).

And Jones' dropped deep ball was a large non-play.

Hyde's dropped pic6 is too obvious to relive or place blame.

Watching the game from Lambeau - I felt it was mainly the offense. We limited a pretty good Niner team to 2 TDs and 3 FGs. I thought we'd have to score 30+ to win (and hide some mistakes).

Smidgeon
01-07-2014, 05:58 PM
The offense. The three straight three and outs and no passes called in the first quarter are enough for me.

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 06:42 PM
on the flip side, if the defense doesn't let the 9ers march down the field after those first two 3 and outs by us, then they don't get the FG's that turned out to be the difference

yes, its great they didn't give up TD's, but we only lost by a FG. maybe if the defense gets a hold on those first 2 drives and hold the 9ers to a punt we win the game?

hell, they didn't have a punt in the first half did they?

their first drive we gave up a ton of yards and a fg.
their next drive we had a shitty punt and didn't have to go too far for another fg
their next drive we get the INT
we then have the momentum and the offense clicks in and we drive down for the TD
we then lose all momentum when the D falls apart and allows a 5 play 68 yard TD drive

the defense played pretty good for them, but it was still pretty shitty

In all the wildcard games this weekend, how many d's allowed 23 points and generated a TO?

bobblehead
01-07-2014, 06:44 PM
That's a fair assessment.

The Packer offense was certainly stuttering or sub par on that day.

I voted that the loss falls on the Packer Defense. Once the Packers held the lead late in the fourth quarter it was on the defense to get the ball back to the offense.

The defense failed it's primary duty need right there. I've been given a choice between the 'O' or 'D' for the primary blame for the loss and that in my view falls on the defense.

For too many reasons to go into here we saw a a lowest one third NFL defense do as good as it could and still lose it for us on the day.

This:

*** TD 10:31 Vernon Davis 28 Yd Pass From Colin Kaepernick (Phil Dawson Kick)

S Morgan Burnett out of position and missing a relatively easy Pick and AJ Hawk having his back to the ball and if he simply turns his head upfield he has a shot at a pick or a near certain pass defense. They gave up a gift TD there to Vernon Davis.

49ers 20 - Packers 17

*** The blown Pick Six by Micah Hyde

*** The blown Colin Kaepernick contain by Jarrett Bush and Kaep ducking out for a vital 49er first down.

*** There's simply too many on the Packer 'D' that's flat out not good.

PACKERS

Why didn't our MVP QB and high paid offensive skill guys get us a TD after that? No, they merely were able to tie the game, thus forcing the D to not even allow a FG.

Bretsky
01-07-2014, 07:02 PM
Why didn't our MVP QB and high paid offensive skill guys get us a TD after that? No, they merely were able to tie the game, thus forcing the D to not even allow a FG.

SF would have scored a TD if that occured :)

Bretsky
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
In all the wildcard games this weekend, how many d's allowed 23 points and generated a TO?

It was an ok performance. Giving up 23 in 20 plus below weather is about where I would have guessed. Had we played in a dome it would probably have been 34-40.

red
01-07-2014, 07:09 PM

how many other d's played in conditions that hamper the offenses?

mgordo
01-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Ok guys.. Long time Lurker (no pun intended) but hardly ever post.. You beat the 49ers with Offense. 20 Points will never be enough to win. You force them to match our offensive production, or in this case a lack there of. Our offensive line in the first 3 quarters played terrible, getting pushed back and collapsing the pocket. When the offense did produce, it was Rodgers rolling out and hitting an open WR. San Frans OL is one of the best, if not the best in the NFL thanks to that draft of two numbers ones pretty close or both in the top 15 if I am not mistaken. When we draft OL #1 they are either the "incredible bulk", or get injured thanks to Newhouse getting flattened by Tamba Hali right into Sherrod's leg getting crushed. This leads me to Sherrod, a #1 pick activated and practicing for how long?? Either he is not good enough or the coaches know something we don't. We win this game by imposing our will and to do that you need an OL that can win the battle. Bak did a great job, don't get me wrong but we need a center, Sherrod, and Bulaga as tackles. If they aren't good enough we'll find some that are.. I don't see Manning, Brady or Brees rolling out running for their life and they are still playing. Thanks

red
01-07-2014, 09:32 PM
Ok guys.. Long time Lurker (no pun intended) but hardly ever post.. You beat the 49ers with Offense. 20 Points will never be enough to win. You force them to match our offensive production, or in this case a lack there of. Our offensive line in the first 3 quarters played terrible, getting pushed back and collapsing the pocket. When the offense did produce, it was Rodgers rolling out and hitting an open WR. San Frans OL is one of the best, if not the best in the NFL thanks to that draft of two numbers ones pretty close or both in the top 15 if I am not mistaken. When we draft OL #1 they are either the "incredible bulk", or get injured thanks to Newhouse getting flattened by Tamba Hali right into Sherrod's leg getting crushed. This leads me to Sherrod, a #1 pick activated and practicing for how long?? Either he is not good enough or the coaches know something we don't. We win this game by imposing our will and to do that you need an OL that can win the battle. Bak did a great job, don't get me wrong but we need a center, Sherrod, and Bulaga as tackles. If they aren't good enough we'll find some that are.. I don't see Manning, Brady or Brees rolling out running for their life and they are still playing. Thanks

i said the same damn thing about sherrod in the game day thread

he's health, he's been getting reps with the special teams. however, when bak goes down late in the game its newhouse who comes in to replace him.

everyone with at least one eye can see that newhouse is horrible. on one play he almost got a-rod killed twice. he let his guy fly right past him and then he just stood there and watch the guy have a free shot on rodgers. the guy flew right past rodgers, has time to turn around, and take another run at him. the whole time newhouse was just standing there watching it all.

i think people need to start to realize that sherrod probably isn't in the teams plans moving forward. if he was ever gonna get a chance, it was sunday when bak went out. the fact that the human slug is still higher on the depth chart then him at both RT and LT should show people just how little the coaching staff actually thinks of him

mgordo
01-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Sherrod was a 4 Year starter at Mississippi State..played in the majority of their games.. Straight A student. He's has to be smart enough to play RT or LT in this league. But like Red said, Sunday would have been the time and to not see him in there is very telling. If he comes back and takes a starting position next year, than that's on the coaching for 2013.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 01:58 AM
I was heartbroken to see Newhouse in there instead of Sherrod.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 09:39 AM
I was heartbroken to see Newhouse in there instead of Sherrod.

I still say that is stubby being stubby. By midseason he would rather stick with a shitty option than a guy like Sherrod who hasn't been able to play. If I'm wrong and its because Marshmallow is better than Sherrod then cut them both right now and get it over with. Newhouse doesn't belong on an NFL roster with his play at this point. If he is ahead of anyone on the depth chart, that player should go as well....and you know I'm right there with you on the sherrod bandwagon.

If Sherrod comes in and wins a job next year, MM should be grilled by reporters as to why he didn't use him in that game. A reporter should step up and tell him that the decision may have been the difference between a FG and a more time consuming TD that could have won the game.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 09:40 AM
PS...he should also get grilled as to leaving Desmond Bishop on the bench as long as he did.

denverYooper
01-08-2014, 10:12 AM
I still say that is stubby being stubby. By midseason he would rather stick with a shitty option than a guy like Sherrod who hasn't been able to play. If I'm wrong and its because Marshmallow is better than Sherrod then cut them both right now and get it over with. Newhouse doesn't belong on an NFL roster with his play at this point. If he is ahead of anyone on the depth chart, that player should go as well....and you know I'm right there with you on the sherrod bandwagon.

If Sherrod comes in and wins a job next year, MM should be grilled by reporters as to why he didn't use him in that game. A reporter should step up and tell him that the decision may have been the difference between a FG and a more time consuming TD that could have won the game.

Agree. None of the PUP guys played much, if at all. They weren't about to give Sherrod his first extensive game action in the 4th quarter of a heated playoff contest.

red
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Agree. None of the PUP guys played much, if at all. They weren't about to give Sherrod his first extensive game action in the 4th quarter of a heated playoff contest.

so instead he keeps playing one of the worst packers in recent history

i'll go ahead and say it. newhouse makes jarrett bush look like a fucking hall of famer

denverYooper
01-08-2014, 10:26 AM
so instead he keeps playing one of the worst packers in recent history

i'll go ahead and say it. newhouse makes jarrett bush look like a fucking hall of famer

Yes. M3's biggest flaw at work.

hoosier
01-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Holding SF to 23 should = win. Offense blew it.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 10:51 AM
I agree Newhouse had the backup job and would have had to do something extraordinary to get benched. Its happened before with KGB and a couple of guys in the secondary, but you really need to violate orders to end up on the bench. Trying hard to do the right thing often seems enough.

I had hoped that by now Sherrod would have surpassed him, but another offseason will help. He needs reps and there aren't many for backups during a game week.

woodbuck27
01-12-2014, 09:41 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Time-for-analysis-how-did-the-Packers-lose-that-game/2862640e-094e-4574-b6f2-208d8cf39191

Time for analysis; how did the Packers lose that game?

Defense kept the Packers in the game, but needed to make one more stop

Posted Jan 6, 2014

GO PACK GO !

Maxie the Taxi
01-12-2014, 09:55 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/ask-vic/article-1/Time-for-analysis-how-did-the-Packers-lose-that-game/2862640e-094e-4574-b6f2-208d8cf39191

Time for analysis; how did the Packers lose that game?

I'll continue to argue the Packers lost the game the last time they had the ball. They kicked a field goal instead of going for the TD on 4th and goal at the five. They should have gone for it for the very reason the article says: they were overmatched due to injuries and therefore needed to be more aggressive.

Old School
01-12-2014, 10:27 AM
The defense missed at least 3 game changing plays - 2 intercepts - T Wil and Hyde, and the missed contain by Bush in the 4th quarter.

I guess the drop by Jones could have been a game changer, but that's one play.

denverYooper
01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
http://courtenayharris.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/lets-take-a-defensive-look/

red
01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
I'll continue to argue the Packers lost the game the last time they had the ball. They kicked a field goal instead of going for the TD on 4th and goal at the five. They should have gone for it for the very reason the article says: they were overmatched due to injuries and therefore needed to be more aggressive.

i don't know about going for it on 4th from the 5, because i still don't see our D stopping them for the rest of the game if we didn't get a TD

but its been a staple of M3 for a long time, to me he seems just fine taking FG's instead of nutting up and going all out for a td

maybe thats part of the redzone problem? a mindset has crept into the team where they don't want to take any big risks because "we can always get 3 points"

i will say that settling for FG's is like a defeat for me, unless its a FG with a couple seconds left in the game to tie or win i just think FG's are worthles

Maxie the Taxi
01-12-2014, 10:43 AM
i don't know about going for it on 4th from the 5, because i still don't see our D stopping them for the rest of the game if we didn't get a TD

My argument is that, even if we didn't score, it would be easier stopping SF if they had to start on their own 5. They would be more conservative and predictable. The odds of us getting the ball back one last time would be better.

Obviously, passing on a game-tying field goal would be a gut-wrenching call, but we gave the ball back to SF with decent field position and them only needing a field goal to win...and five minutes to do it.

pbmax
01-12-2014, 11:59 AM

WOW!

I think he puts some real weight to changing defenses being an advantage in and of itself for 2 years. I suspected this was not simply an artifact of Capers.

The other point here is that LeBeau was going to be Pittsburgh's D coordinator no matter who replaced Cowher. He has REAL juice in Pittsburgh's organization and the Steelers ran for years without a GM, meaning he probably has his fingers in personnel.

This is a problematic situation for a lot of teams, but the Steelers highly involved and experiences ownership makes it work (Dan Rooney's brother, Art Rooney Jr. used to run personnel during the Super Bowl years before Dan kicked him to the curb*).

But this also suggests that Thompson and Capers are not an ideal match.

* Once everyone was using Steroids and scouting small colleges, the Steelers personnel advantage disappeared. They were still competent but no longer light years ahead of everyone except the Cowboys and Jim Finks.

pbmax
01-12-2014, 12:16 PM
The defense missed at least 3 game changing plays - 2 intercepts - T Wil and Hyde, and the missed contain by Bush in the 4th quarter.

How about the offense's first quarter and the 3 and out to start their second half? The offense did not pressure the San Fran D all day. Facing the Cover 2 shell, they couldn't go deep and did run in a dominating fashion.

woodbuck27
01-12-2014, 01:01 PM

I agree with you Maxie the Taxi .

Here's my analysis of that game position:

The FG gives 'only' a tie and MM has to play to win the game. This is the playoffs and there's no tomorrow. Is aggressive play calling anything that we see from MM? Is that who he is?

With this discussion we're right back to the style of play calling he used in the Minny TIE.

If Mike McCarthy shoots for the converted TD the Packers are up 4 points (Packers 24-20).

The 49ers need a TD to win. At 20-20 it's easier to play for the win with a last possession FG and the San Fran 49ers can grind it out. MM gave that to San Fran all gift wrapped and it's 3rd Ranked Rushing Offense ! All that topped off with a QB in Kaepernick that will kill him with his legs.

Mike McCarthy's seen this 49ers rushing offense enough you'd think. Yet Mike McCarthy just doesn't get it; or is he too stubborn to get it?

Why does he insist on making the play calls? Havn't we seen enough to want him to just concentrate on the other aspects of game management. He's got to have his face into that play book and that's not cutting it. WE need someone else concentrating solely on play calls.

Here's the play-by-play including the big Randall Cobb catch that made us look so good late in the 4th Qtr:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=340105009&period=4

1st and 10 at SF 42 E.Lacy right end to SF 34 for 8 yards (E.Reid).

2nd and 2 at SF 34 (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass deep left to R.Cobb to SF 9 for 25 yards (E.Reid) [G.Dorsey].

Here's that play where Randall Cobb tells us that " he felt he should have gone in for the TD !"

We get a Time Out. We're 1st and GOAL !! We need to get 9 yards in FOUR PLAYS? for a TD and don't want to settle for a FG! A FG doesn't fly Packerrats.

What does Mike McCarthy have to work with as his options on offense?

A) Eddie Lacy 21 carries for 81 yards 3.9 avg and 0 TD and a long of 8 yards

B) James Starks 5 carries for 29 yards 5.8 and 0 TD and a long of 10 YARDS

Neither of MM's RB's has rushed for a TD!? It's about time for that you'd think in that position. MM is up against the 7th ranked pass defense and 4th ranked run defense but he has four downs for that TOUCHDOWN and 9 yards to go. Run-Run-Run and if needed run the ball again.

C) FB John Kuhn has already score a key TD earlier at 12:06 remaining in the 4th Qtr.

SO what does Mike McCarthy decide as is his BEST OPTION ?!

He decides to give Randall Cobb that TOUCHDOWN that Randall Cobb felt he should have gotten, cashing in on the last passing play.

Mike McCarthy has decided on 1st and goal at the San Fran 9 yard line and RUN! great but who does he run with here!?

Mike McCarthy has Eddie LACY and James STARKS and John Kuhn in his RB's stable. These fellas will go 9 yards in 4 carries. That's the logical option. A

MM run the ball in when down inside the opponents 10 yard line and it's 1st and goal. Go for it all the way !

Mike McCarthy comes back with the fella that just made a nice catch to get the team to 1st and goal !?

WHY !!

He decides that his best option is call a run and Randall Cobb. That's the wasted glamour 'showboat' call. Mike McCarthy LOVES to showcase certain STARS. Meanwhile the Lunch bucket brigade (Lacy,Starks and Kuhn) are left scratching their collective heads.

NO ... Mike McCarthy needs to call plays sensibly to WIN football games.

If you decide on run ... you decide on an Eddie Lacy with 3.9 avg./carry in that game or you go with a fresher James Starks and his 5.9 avg./carry

So let's review where it goes.

Timeout #1 by GB at 06:12.

1st and 9 at SF 9 (Shotgun) R.Cobb left end to SF 8 for 1 yard (N.Bowman).

Yahoo ! Really terrific Mike. NO ..... that call sucks BIG WIND!

Back to your other STAR Mike...

2nd and 8 at SF 8 (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass incomplete short right.

Let's toss in a broken play and less than aggressive whimpy running from Aaron Rodgers. It's so so in your face Packerrats. There was no tomorrow and Aaron had to bust his ass to get that one as close to the goal line as possible . He needed to get every inch and set up at least a fourth and goal play for the TOUCHDOWN and not a whimpy FG and 'only' a tie.

3rd and 8 at SF 8 (Shotgun) A.Rodgers up the middle to SF 6 for 2 yards (R.McDonald). Penalty on GB-J.Sitton, Offensive Holding, declined.

There again is 'no tomorrow' but Mike McCarthy doesn't get that.

Mike McCarthy doesn't learn and look for more of that in your Packer fan experience with him.

4th and 6 at SF 6 M.Crosby 24 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay.

SCORE: GREEN BAY 20 - SAN FRAN 20

M.Crosby kicks 65 yards from GB 35 to end zone, Touchback.

DRIVE TOTALS: 11 plays, 61 yards, 5:25 elapsed

San Francisco 49ers at 5:06

This strategy based in "who has the ball last".

If the offense doesn't get the TD it turns the ball over really deep in San Fran territory. Just that adds an element of pressure. You call for a man for man up defense and pressure on Kaepernick. Get his feet back deep in his end zone. You need your defense to force them to punt and you attack again for the (seven Points); with the option 'only' if needed for the FG and a tie, and 'only' if forced by the time element to settle for that.

bobblehead
01-12-2014, 01:17 PM

Since I love picking at statistics I would ask one BIG question. If Capers needs veterans to know his system...really get the intricacies if you will, why does he have a history of coming in cold, turning a defense around and then having it regress? If you need those vets to know the system, why is it that he comes in fresh, taking over a 4-3 in our case and gets them up to speed right away?

Now, that question being asked, I do believe we lack some talent on this team aided by several factors. Hawk never became Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Bishop blew a hammy. Woodson got old. Collins lost his career. Jolly loves him some purple. That is a lot of talent that left, and only Jolly is back/replaced.

Lets look at the recent "defense" draft. Hayward was hurt all year. Perry has been hurt on and off all along. Worthy blew his ACL (or whichever CL). Daniels is solid. Since it takes a few years for guys to "get it" in the NFL, could we see a breakout 2014 D? We are still desperate for a safety no matter what. We still need that beast MLB that great D's all have. However I could see some real improvement. All those guys, plus Datone should contribute...APRH to steal from Rand.

Could TT utilize FA? I doubt there is a really good MLB available, but we could potentially draft one and sign another re: S/ILB. That along with the D draft of 2012 being healthy and improved could spell big improvement. We don't need Carolina/SF defenses, we have ARod and a MUCH better offense than they do. And that is without our bookend tackles. Let me see Kap or Cam lose both of their OT's and perform even as well as Matt Flynn.

/Rant Off

woodbuck27
01-12-2014, 01:26 PM

Getting right down too the brass tacks of it.

That game was ours all day long. That game was handed to the San Francisco 49ers with all but the wrap,ribbon and bows.

How many many times did we really feel that game was ours? I certainly was right there. We caught the 49ers with their collective pants down and gave them that win.

Focusing on the end of it and "the climax of incompetence".

The two 3rd downs and long's that the Packer 'D' gave up in the last San Fran series:

Somehow that defense had no response to Kaepernick and " I'll kill you softly with BIG PLAYS ... I'll snap it right away from you in your house.

When that man owns you for ...four straight games.

It'll "only" make the next one easier.

Somehow the GREEN BAY PACKERS must find the correct response to the San Fran 49ers or stop pretending.

Whatever it takes the Packers must defeat this team again soon.

GO PACK GO !

red
01-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Since I love picking at statistics I would ask one BIG question. If Capers needs veterans to know his system...really get the intricacies if you will, why does he have a history of coming in cold, turning a defense around and then having it regress? If you need those vets to know the system, why is it that he comes in fresh, taking over a 4-3 in our case and gets them up to speed right away?

Now, that question being asked, I do believe we lack some talent on this team aided by several factors. Hawk never became Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis. Bishop blew a hammy. Woodson got old. Collins lost his career. Jolly loves him some purple. That is a lot of talent that left, and only Jolly is back/replaced.

Lets look at the recent "defense" draft. Hayward was hurt all year. Perry has been hurt on and off all along. Worthy blew his ACL (or whichever CL). Daniels is solid. Since it takes a few years for guys to "get it" in the NFL, could we see a breakout 2014 D? We are still desperate for a safety no matter what. We still need that beast MLB that great D's all have. However I could see some real improvement. All those guys, plus Datone should contribute...APRH to steal from Rand.

Could TT utilize FA? I doubt there is a really good MLB available, but we could potentially draft one and sign another re: S/ILB. That along with the D draft of 2012 being healthy and improved could spell big improvement. We don't need Carolina/SF defenses, we have ARod and a MUCH better offense than they do. And that is without our bookend tackles. Let me see Kap or Cam lose both of their OT's and perform even as well as Matt Flynn.

/Rant Off

thats really a great point about him needing vets but having his best season right away with a new team

he also did it not with pure 3-4 guys, but with converted 4-3 guys who were mostly playing out of their usual positions those first 2 years.

so you could say his first 2 years in green bay, his best 2 years, were his most "miscast" bunch

i do think he needs vets though, not just because they know the system, but because they just flat out know how to play the game. i thought it was a huge blow to the team when woodson and driver left, just because that was a lot of vet leadership that was walking out the door

pbmax
01-12-2014, 03:07 PM
thats really a great point about him needing vets but having his best season right away with a new team

he also did it not with pure 3-4 guys, but with converted 4-3 guys who were mostly playing out of their usual positions those first 2 years.

so you could say his first 2 years in green bay, his best 2 years, were his most "miscast" bunch

i do think he needs vets though, not just because they know the system, but because they just flat out know how to play the game. i thought it was a huge blow to the team when woodson and driver left, just because that was a lot of vet leadership that was walking out the door

See this article: http://courtenayharris.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/lets-take-a-defensive-look/

originally posted by DenverYoop.

Many D coordinators have their biggest effect early, before teams scheme the advantage away. Its happening in the playoffs now.

pbmax
01-12-2014, 03:11 PM
That game was ours all day long. That game was handed to the San Francisco 49ers with all but the wrap,ribbon and bows.

How many many times did we really feel that game was ours? I certainly was right there. We caught the 49ers with their collective pants down and gave them that win.

I could not disagree more with this. 49ers offense was more efficient all game than Packer offense and drove the length of the field many more times than the Packers O.

Even with two leads, it never seemed like the Packers had the game in control.

Big plays on D were part of what kept it close, but you cannot count big turnovers to stop every drive.

red
01-12-2014, 03:13 PM
See this article: http://courtenayharris.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/lets-take-a-defensive-look/

originally posted by DevnerYoop.

Many D coordinators have their biggest effect early, before teams scheme the advantage away. Its happening in the playoffs now.

yes i already read that shit twice

they're trying to compare guys that have been with their teams for only two years with capers. in capers first 3 years he looked great too, now over the last three years he's had one of if not the worst defense in the nfl.

none of the other guys they mention have done that

then that try and say lebeau had a bad year, so everyone gets a bad year now and then. in his one bad year his D was ranked 14th.

ours was dead fucking last in 2011, average to below average in 2012, and just off the bottom this year

pbmax
01-12-2014, 03:21 PM
yes i already read that shit twice

they're trying to compare guys that have been with their teams for only two years with capers. in capers first 3 years he looked great too, now over the last three years he's had one of if not the worst defense in the nfl.

none of the other guys they mention have done that

then that try and say lebeau had a bad year, so everyone gets a bad year now and then. in his one bad year his D was ranked 14th.

ours was dead fucking last in 2011, average to below average in 2012, and just off the bottom this year

Most of them have not gotten past three years yet with the current team. Greg Manusky had some terrible times in San Diego with his D. McDermott was fired by the Eagles and I think one other team.

LeBeau has a standing in his organization that gives him an advantage many do not enjoy, I would suspect it carries over to personnel.

Capers situation is unique in that the system might not be best for rookies and he with one of the the top 5 teams for youthful turnover.

Let me put it in terms Bretsky will have to appreciate: Tom Coughlin hired Capers to rescue his D. His only caveat was to stay with a 4-3 to let their star DE stay at his position.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 05:23 AM
I could not disagree more with this. 49ers offense was more efficient all game than Packer offense and drove the length of the field many more times than the Packers O.

Even with two leads, it never seemed like the Packers had the game in control.

Big plays on D were part of what kept it close, but you cannot count big turnovers to stop every drive.

4th Quarter Play by Play ... SCORE: SAN FRAN 49ers 13 - GREEN BAY PACKERS 10

Green Bay Packers DRIVE Beginning at 3:19 Remaining in the 3rd Qtr.

Three running plays and two passing plays and:

2nd and 1 at SF 1 J.Kuhn left guard for 1 yard, TOUCHDOWN.

M.Crosby extra point is GOOD, Center-B.Goode, Holder-T.Masthay. 13 17

M.Crosby kicks 65 yards from GB 35 to SF 0. L.James pushed ob at SF 37 for 37 yards (M.Crosby).

DRIVE TOTALS: SF 13, GB 17, 12 plays, 80 yards, 6:13 elapsed

SCORE: GREEN BAY 17 - SAN FRAN 13

San Francisco 49ers Get the ball at at 12:06

Right there at that point in the 4th Qtr. we have the lead. The San Fran 49ers need a TD to take the lead back.

mraynrand
01-13-2014, 10:31 AM

Willis, Lewis, Woodson, Collins - they weren't any good, it was just that the mediocre players around them made them great, at least according to my no great players theory.

mraynrand
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM

Mnay extrapolations can be made from these numbers, but what this evidence says to me is that having dynamic playmakers is just as important, if not MORE important, than having a good defensive coordinator.

This guy also seems deluded by the great player theory

mraynrand
01-13-2014, 10:34 AM
How NE hemorrhages yardage, but still keeps teams out of the end zone could use more scrutiny

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 10:55 AM
How NE hemorrhages yardage, but still keeps teams out of the end zone could use more scrutiny

Closer video study is warranted here.

pbmax
01-13-2014, 11:59 AM
This guy also seems deluded by the great player theory

He is making a superficial comparison about players versus coordinator in certain high profile cases. Not clear if he believes Christl's theory or not.

What I am curious about is how many D coordinators promise to be aggressive.

run pMc
01-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Of course you need playmakers. Having a DC who knows how to use them is important too. One more playmaker on D might have been the difference in the SF game.

I blame the defense for the 8-8-1 record. The safeties played poorly, the DL couldn't provide enough pass rush to help the secondary, and the LBs were either hurt or blocked. I believe that a good defense will win a game or two during the regular season, when weather, injuries, or the other team's defense makes your offense look pedestrian. That didn't happen.

The defense blew the last possession of the SF playoff game: Hyde's drop and Bush's blitz were killers. I don't have a problem with M3 taking the points to tie with 5 minutes left -- let's say the defense forces a punt and gets Rodgers the ball back with ~2 minutes...I'd take that. Overall the offense lost the SF game more than the defense -- they had a real sluggish start. IIRC their first 9 plays gained ~10 yards total. Better execution (and some points) in the 1Q would have made a difference.

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 01:33 PM
Most of them have not gotten past three years yet with the current team. Greg Manusky had some terrible times in San Diego with his D. McDermott was fired by the Eagles and I think one other team.

LeBeau has a standing in his organization that gives him an advantage many do not enjoy, I would suspect it carries over to personnel.

Capers situation is unique in that the system might not be best for rookies and he with one of the the top 5 teams for youthful turnover.

Let me put it in terms Bretsky will have to appreciate: Tom Coughlin hired Capers to rescue his D. His only caveat was to stay with a 4-3 to let their star DE stay at his position.

LeBeau stepped into a good situation also. Pittsburgh's defense has ranked no lower than 13 in scoring going back to the start of Coach Chin's tenure in 1992:

Def Rank
Year Pts Yds
2013 14 13
2012 6 1
2011 1 1
2010 1 2
2009 12 5
2008 1 1
2007 2 1
2006 11 9
2005 3 4
2004 1 1
2003 15 9
2002 16 7
2001 3 1
2000 6 7
1999 12 11
1998 7 12
1997 11 6
1996 4 2
1995 9 3
1994 2 2
1993 8 3
1992 2 13
1991 22 22

LeBeau had mixed success as Cincinnati's DC in the previous decades:

Defense Defense
Year Tm Yds Pts
1984 CIN 13 16
1985 CIN 22 26
1986 CIN 20 23
1987 CIN 8 24
1988 CIN 15 16
1989 CIN 15 7
1990 CIN 25 19
1991 CIN 28 28
1995 PIT 3 9
1996 PIT 2 4
1997 CIN 28 27
1998 CIN 28 30
1999 CIN 25 31
2000 CIN 22 21
2004 PIT 1 1

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 01:35 PM
LeBeau stepped into a good situation also. Pittsburgh's defense has ranked no lower than 13 in scoring going back to the start of Coach Chin's tenure in 1992:

Def Rank
Year Pts Yds
2013 14 13
2012 6 1
2011 1 1
2010 1 2
2009 12 5
2008 1 1
2007 2 1
2006 11 9
2005 3 4
2004 1 1
2003 15 9
2002 16 7
2001 3 1
2000 6 7
1999 12 11
1998 7 12
1997 11 6
1996 4 2
1995 9 3
1994 2 2
1993 8 3
1992 2 13
1991 22 22

LeBeau had mixed success as Cincinnati's DC in the previous decades:

Defense Defense
Year Tm Yds Pts
1984 CIN 13 16
1985 CIN 22 26
1986 CIN 20 23
1987 CIN 8 24
1988 CIN 15 16
1989 CIN 15 7
1990 CIN 25 19
1991 CIN 28 28
1995 PIT 3 9
1996 PIT 2 4
1997 CIN 28 27
1998 CIN 28 30
1999 CIN 25 31
2000 CIN 22 21
2004 PIT 1 1

Yooooonnnnkkk !

Your eliminated...YOUR using Statistics to try to make a point.

LOSER ! ;-)

I declare pbmax 'now reformed'..... !! The WINNER !!

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Not sure where to put this, so here it goes:

Eric Branch ‏@Eric_Branch 9m
#49ers haven't allowed a RB to rush for more than 81 yards in 13 games.

...That would be Eddie Lacy in their last game.

MadtownPacker
01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
If you would have told me our defense would hold SF to 23 points before the game I would have booked us for a win.
Exactly. Look at the scores in the 4 losses to these fucks.

L 23-20
L 34-28
L 45-31
L 30-22

Offense lost it but there are more Negros on D so easier to blame for these honkies. :lol:

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2014, 04:17 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/defense-needs-to-be-more-physical-reports-man-slum,34922/

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:23 PM

L 23-20
L 34-28
L 45-31
L 30-22

Offense lost it but there are more Negros on D so easier to blame for these honkies. :lol:

What to do with you!??? :grin:

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:25 PM
http://www.theonion.com/articles/defense-needs-to-be-more-physical-reports-man-slum,34922/

Great Post ..Repped.

Really a hoot. :grin:

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 04:26 PM

"The linebacker just has to shove blockers out of his way, rush up the field, grab the quarterback, and whip him to the turf.”

We need a guy like that.

Zool
01-13-2014, 04:32 PM

How I picture most people clamoring on about most NFL teams, complaining about coaching or GM moves.

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
Your eliminated...YOUR using Statistics to try to make a point.

I guess my point was that, as with players, the fit is ultimately the most important aspect of the coach you pick. Pittsburgh seems to have nailed both and have been good at it for 20 years. Why is that? Maybe because they've run a 3-4 for 30-some-odd years and got the right pieces in place over time.

The 49ers are an interesting team right now in that regard. Have they built a system for themselves that will lead itself to continued success? They have a lot of high-drafted, very talented players who are staying healthy. With teams like that, I think they can afford to bring younger guys into it and develop them, or have enough veterans around that it helps a young player learn on the job (a la Reid -- talented but made a lot of mistakes). They were a pretty good defense for at least a couple of years before they really became known for dominance. Or do they lose a couple of guys and get worked over? Time will tell.

So, with teeth gritted, I can look at the Packers' investment in Capers 34 as that -- an investment with the idea that they are thinking about it in terms of building something that will last longer-term. They obviously need to rework the player procurement pipeline, but it sounds as though this year's struggles might have smoked out some pretenders that were hurting the overall performance. Will there be a point at which they reach critical mass and it turns into a reliable top 10-ish unit? Will player health, an FA safety/DL, or high-drafted ILB, and development of another pass rusher (D. Jones, looking at you kid) get them over the hump? Or are they just too hampered by Rodgers' contract and constant playoff appearances that they're doomed to defensive mediocrity?

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
We need a guy like that.

Lets recommend employing that man in the Green Bay Packer Scouting Dept.

We'll have to Warn TT though about a downside... that he might need to offer him an expensive Per Diem.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:52 PM
I guess my point was that, as with players, the fit is ultimately the most important aspect of the coach you pick. Pittsburgh seems to have nailed both and have been good at it for 20 years. Why is that? Maybe because they've run a 3-4 for 30-some-odd years and got the right pieces in place over time.

The 49ers are an interesting team right now in that regard. Have they built a system for themselves that will lead itself to continued success? They have a lot of high-drafted, very talented players who are staying healthy. With teams like that, I think they can afford to bring younger guys into it and develop them, or have enough veterans around that it helps a young player learn on the job (a la Reid -- talented but made a lot of mistakes). They were a pretty good defense for at least a couple of years before they really became known for dominance. Or do they lose a couple of guys and get worked over? Time will tell.

So, with teeth gritted, I can look at the Packers' investment in Capers 34 as that -- an investment with the idea that they are thinking about it in terms of building something that will last longer-term. They obviously need to rework the player procurement pipeline, but it sounds as though this year's struggles might have smoked out some pretenders that were hurting the overall performance. Will there be a point at which they reach critical mass and it turns into a reliable top 10-ish unit? Will player health, an FA safety/DL, or high-drafted ILB, and development of another pass rusher (D. Jones, looking at you kid) get them over the hump? Or are they just too hampered by Rodgers' contract and constant playoff appearances that they're doomed to defensive mediocrity?

Solid post. I'm feeling generous today Repped.

Yea so many questions the closer you get into 'the Packers' and NFL.

The San Fran 49ers and Seattle Seahawks are what? 2 years away from having to $shell$ for their young QB's. That will place those team more in terms of CAP and where the Packers were challenged to maintain in terms of health and exist today. I know that CAP money will be forthcoming but I hope that it is held off for another five years.

I just want to see Aaron Rodgers get one more shot at a Super Bowl.

GO PACKERS !

bobblehead
01-13-2014, 06:38 PM

L 23-20
L 34-28
L 45-31
L 30-22

I'll be much happier when our negro OT gets healthy enough to play so I can bitch about him.

Freak Out
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
The Offense is getting POUNDED! Can't say as I agree with that.....

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
I'll be much happier when our negro OT gets healthy enough to play so I can bitch about him.

But then what we gonna do with the Muslim guy?

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Persian.

red
01-13-2014, 08:40 PM
it'd be much easier if we just refer to all of them as darkies from now on

then no one is offended when you call a persian guy a muslim, or get any of them confused with a negro

i mean, they all look the same anyways right?

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 08:54 PM

then no one is offended when you call a persian guy a muslim, or get any of them confused with a negro

You ought to run this idea by Dan Snyder.

digitaldean
01-13-2014, 09:09 PM
Offense. The D did not make a stop when it really counted, true. But the start of that game was atrocious. Credit SF's d, for sure. But the slow adjustment and the HORRIBLE playcalling on the last drive were killers. I'm still having nightmares about that idiotic running play to Cobb. Lacy was just bashing the Niners like a sledgehammer. He should have gotten the ball at least ONCE on those final 3 plays.

bobblehead
01-13-2014, 09:11 PM

RG with Lang moving to Center. This is my dream setup. Sherrod, Sitton, Lang, Bak, Bulaga with Barclay and Tretter active on gameday.

bobblehead
01-13-2014, 09:12 PM

No, the persian muslim doesn't have nappy hair....did I offend anyone with that?

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 09:38 PM
Offense. The D did not make a stop when it really counted, true. But the start of that game was atrocious. Credit SF's d, for sure. But the slow adjustment and the HORRIBLE playcalling on the last drive were killers. I'm still having nightmares about that idiotic running play to Cobb. Lacy was just bashing the Niners like a sledgehammer. He should have gotten the ball at least ONCE on those final 3 plays.

I didn't like the Cobb call either, but there may have been extenuating circumstances. McGinn mentioned that Lacy may have been having breathing problems late in the game. It was revealed back in November that Lacy has asthma, and there was talk then about whether that would affect him when the weather turned cold. That may have been why Lacy came out of the game at that point.

mraynrand
01-13-2014, 10:10 PM
I didn't like the Cobb call either, but there may have been extenuating circumstances. McGinn mentioned that Lacy may have been having breathing problems late in the game. It was revealed back in November that Lacy has asthma, and there was talk then about whether that would affect him when the weather turned cold. That may have been why Lacy came out of the game at that point.

Still had the Stark plug. I really wanted to see them pound it at 'em right there on the goal line. Three straight runs - punch them in the mouth.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 10:34 PM

Then MM ensures that he has every convenience on the sideline to alleviate his condition but in that situation of nine to go and a 1st down YOU DO NOT Have Eddie Lacy OUT of the game.

He's your RB not Randall Cobb.

In any case you get James Starks in there.

James Starks shown you a 5.9 yard average in that game.

Maybe?

Mike McCarthy >>> Randall Cobb and 1st and goal from the 9 yard line is just a pure example of Mike McCarthy showcasing one of his and TT's STAR PLAYERS and:

"Boy Ohh Boy did we ever hurt while he was out."

??

The way that Mike McCarthy called that set of downs and then went for the FG is sadly:

Mike "El Pathetico" McCarthy and another of his questionable in the crunch flops calling the plays.

Get a play caller on the sidelines NOT named Mike McCarthy. Mike McCarthy has other really responsible tasks to take care of as the Packer Head Coach. It's evident that play calling isn't his best suit so he has to do some of the other stuff in the game that he needs to do a better job with.

Please...Thank You. :grin:

Y'all are watching the game (s) but are you seeing the game (s) ? There's a huge difference and it's a lot more that yelling over to the wife or girl/boyfriend or husband/boyfriend...friend (s) and enquiring stuff like:

a) What's the score?

b) Who has the ball?

c) Where is the ball?

d) Did Aaron hold-hold-hold...hold onto the ball in his last play?

e) Ohh .. I see. Did Aaron end up on his ass at the end of that last play? Did he fumble the ball.

f) Ohh goodie we still have the ball.

We want the defensive players eye balling the ball and you trying to see the game. Not trying to watch the game.

Why?

It's so much better for you to become a fully informed football fan...Y'all. :idea:

mraynrand
01-13-2014, 10:41 PM
Then MM ensures that he has every convenience on the sideline to alleviate his condition but in that situation of nine to go and a 1st down YOU DO NOT HAVE EDDIE LACY OUT OF THE GAME.

He's your RB not Randall Cobb.

In any caser you get James Starks in there. He's shown you a 5.9 yard average in that game.

Mike McCarthy >>> Randall Cobb and 1st and goal from the 9 yard line is just a pure example of Mike McCarthy showcasing his one of his and TT's STAR PLAYERS and [I]"Boy Ohh Boy did we ever hurt while he was out."

The way that Mike McCarthy called that set of downs and then went for the FG is sadly:

Mike "El Pathetico" McCarthy and another of his questionable in the crunch flops calling the plays.

Get a play caller on the sidelines NOT named Mike McCarthy.

Please...Thank You.

Get the play-caller from Carolina!

Striker
01-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Even if it wasn't three straight runs, at least spread them out and give Rodgers some options. Better than trying to go east/west on such a fast defense.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 07:41 AM

I get the point, but the D did get stops when it counted, early, when the O was stuck in neutral and the defenders prevented the game from turning into a one sided affair.

San Fran has too much offense with Crabtree healthy to get shut down an entire game so the O had get it in gear earlier. Or score a TD late to give the D even more field to work with.

If I am coach, I am talking about your approach, that the D has to get one more stop. But if I am evaluating what happened in this game to prepare for the next, the offense let me down more overall.

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 07:45 AM
Get the play-caller from Carolina!

Maybe not the one from Carolina, but I agree with Woody that Stubby shouldn't be calling plays. Forget the fact that fans will criticize any play that doesn't work. (I had no problem with Cobb in the backfield. It's worked before and they could have used him as a decoy/receiver.) However, I don't think Stubby is some sort of elite play-caller either. Most teams go into a game with a specific plan, some teams even have the play-calling scripted for situations. So why can't someone else, equally talented as a play-caller, handle those duties? What real difference does it make to the offense whether Stubby calls the plays or a guy like Darrell Bevel? No harm caused by trying out another play-caller this preseason.

That would free up Stubby to concentrate on game management, an area where he's done relatively poorly--mainly, I think because he's so distracted by managing the offense. I'd like to see Stubby adopt the Bellicek system. A game plan is developed. An assistant calls the plays accordingly. Bellicek has veto power and the final say. In the meantime, Bellicek is able to manage the game, offense and defense. He would also have time to communicate more with his assistant coaches...like Capers and Slocum. But most of all he'd have time to really watch the game, focus on it, get a feel for the game on both sides of the ball, like fans do.

How many times have reporters asked Stubby about a key play or a key player incident on the sideline and he's commented that he didn't see it and has no opinion about it?

Stubby should drop the clip board and really get his head into the game.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 07:51 AM
Still had the Stark plug. I really wanted to see them pound it at 'em right there on the goal line. Three straight runs - punch them in the mouth.

I'm with you, the game must be won by men, not boys.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm with you, the game must be won by men, not boys.

Hit them where they ain't.

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 09:50 AM
I get the point, but the D did get stops when it counted, early, when the O was stuck in neutral and the defenders prevented the game from turning into a one sided affair.

San Fran has too much offense with Crabtree healthy to get shut down an entire game so the O had get it in gear earlier. Or score a TD late to give the D even more field to work with.

If I am coach, I am talking about your approach, that the D has to get one more stop. But if I am evaluating what happened in this game to prepare for the next, the offense let me down more overall.

I wonder if Rodgers's injury and layoff affected how they approached the initial gameplan and his choices early on. He missed some throws, especially early, that he might have normally made, and it looked like the initial gameplan was just to get him comfortable. Once they got their first first down, he seemed to settle down a bit and the offense looked smoother. Rodgers is one of the guys who can come back after half a season and still play well enough to make a difference, but not being in the flow of games for 8 weeks might have slowed down his processing just a teenth or so -- enough to tip the balance early.