PDA

View Full Version : "CAPERNICK EXPOSES PACKERS WEAKNESSES AGAIN "

Bretsky
01-07-2014, 07:20 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/colin-kaepernick-exposes-packers-flaws-again-b99176812z1-239175291.html

Good article....drillls home what has been discssed in detail in PR

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 07:23 PM
What does Jim Harbaugh call him:

King Kaepernick...he's so fine... he's very very good.

The Pro taunt the "in your face' screw you ' again.

Jim Harbaugh toss's the Packers to the side of the road again.

Yup 'a screw you' and 'three more screw you again's'. Four of a kind.

A really strong hand before the turn of " **the River Card ** ".

** The Packers next game Vs the San Fran 49ers.

Did we ever miss a Golden Opportunity to clip his young wings.

Set King Kaep and Jim Harbaugh down on a Packer Whoopie Cushion and the Packers failed.

They blew it again ! I never felt that would happen the fourth straight time. I felt that simply wasn't going to happen.

Now we have them with 'the River Card to come' and they know we're toast.

Maybe their wrong? I hope their wrong?? They'll be wrong ! ;-)

red
01-07-2014, 07:48 PM
i'm surprised that there wasn't a list of sources at the bottom of that article that all linked here

its sad that this was the first year that no packer safety has had an INT since the 50's. that speaks volumes

woodbuck27
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
i'm surprised that there wasn't a list of sources at the bottom of that article that all linked here

its sad that this was the first year that no packer safety has had an INT since the 50's. that speaks volumes

WOW !

Carolina_Packer
01-07-2014, 10:41 PM
When you can't do what is fundamentally necessary on defense; setting the edge, maintaining gap responsibility, flying to the ball, wrapping up when tackling, and applying pressure on the QB and not letting him escape, you're probably not going to see a lot of interception opportunities. We used to get turnovers because we used to get pressure.

Stop experimenting with football talent. Nick Perry at OLB was an experiment. Jerel Worthy is miscast for a 3-4 front (injury aside, what was the plan when they got this guy?), Datone Jones (I understand some rookies take more time than others, but where was any flash there, and again, how did they hope to use this guy when they got him?) Brad Jones is a former OLB who was a cheaper/healthier option than Desmond Bishop, but he lacks physicality to play ILB. It's almost like they say, this guy is a talented football player, let's try him at <insert position here> and see how he does. I have an idea. If you need a strong safety, draft a strong safety. If you need an ILB, draft an ILB, and while you're at it, make sure they are tough SOB's who like to get after it.

smuggler
01-08-2014, 01:02 AM
Kaepernick is one of the best scrambling QBs in the league. He got us a few times, but all-in-all I would say the offense cost us the game.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 01:45 AM
When you can't do what is fundamentally necessary on defense; setting the edge, maintaining gap responsibility, flying to the ball, wrapping up when tackling, and applying pressure on the QB and not letting him escape, you're probably not going to see a lot of interception opportunities. We used to get turnovers because we used to get pressure.

Stop experimenting with football talent. Nick Perry at OLB was an experiment. Jerel Worthy is miscast for a 3-4 front (injury aside, what was the plan when they got this guy?), Datone Jones (I understand some rookies take more time than others, but where was any flash there, and again, how did they hope to use this guy when they got him?) Brad Jones is a former OLB who was a cheaper/healthier option than Desmond Bishop, but he lacks physicality to play ILB. It's almost like they say, this guy is a talented football player, let's try him at <insert position here> and see how he does. I have an idea. If you need a strong safety, draft a strong safety. If you need an ILB, draft an ILB, and while you're at it, make sure they are tough SOB's who like to get after it.

You can experiment with players at different positions in the NFL and make it work.

But I am not sure Capers and his system is the right fit for that. I can't prove it and its possible there are too many moving, learning parts to judge correctly.

But Perry at OLB is not such a stretch. Jones at ILB plays like a seventh rounder, replacement level except in coverage. There are a couple of missing pieces. I agree Thompson should not have drafted Worthy as he doesn't seem to fit, but one season+ is early to cast him aside.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 01:45 AM
Kaepernick is one of the best scrambling QBs in the league. He got us a few times, but all-in-all I would say the offense cost us the game.

Pass rush and speed.

Or rush defense so the pass D can face 3rd and 8 all game long.

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 10:06 AM
You can experiment with players at different positions in the NFL and make it work.

But I am not sure Capers and his system is the right fit for that. I can't prove it and its possible there are too many moving, learning parts to judge correctly.

But Perry at OLB is not such a stretch. Jones at ILB plays like a seventh rounder, replacement level except in coverage. There are a couple of missing pieces. I agree Thompson should not have drafted Worthy as he doesn't seem to fit, but one season+ is early to cast him aside.

Funny thing about that draft. He went D all the way. Got 2 DL early. Both are 1 gap jet type guys. Everyone was excited about getting more pressure on the QB...replacing Jenkins if you will. Then on the way to gameday, Dom designed a D that didn't use their skills at all. WTF happened?

pbmax
01-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Funny thing about that draft. He went D all the way. Got 2 DL early. Both are 1 gap jet type guys. Everyone was excited about getting more pressure on the QB...replacing Jenkins if you will. Then on the way to gameday, Dom designed a D that didn't use their skills at all. WTF happened?

That draft made no sense to me except to scream we need a pass rush. Which was nice to see the Packers agreed with everyone. But it was a poorly conceived effort. Who was the other DT available Devon Still?

Anyone heard from him?

woodbuck27
01-08-2014, 11:27 AM

There's some innovative ... NO !! ... Common sense thinking right there...Hey Ted Thompson !!?

I'm guessing that certain posters here would cry foul on that as your 'simply' a Packer... fan.

My 'just a fan' description of the Packers focus of drafting Ted Thompson and his Scouting Staffs perceived talent; shoving those heads and bodies into the Packer 3-4 base defense:

You peel and cut some potatoes, carrots and turnip (low round and street FA's) and open mix in several cans of more exotic vegetables (high round draft picks 'D') ..... and load them into a stew pot and add a little water (not enough) and pepper (just a little bit and no more spices as you mustn't go overboard for too sensitive palates) and .... now here we GO !..... over the top TOO MUCH SALT !! ie Dom Capers and his once and awhile 3-4 base defense that too often morphs into a 2 ..... - 4 - 5 small 'd' defense.

It looks awful... it tastes worse.

p..a .......... c.....k.......e.....r............s.

idea: THROW IT AWAY !!

gbgary
01-08-2014, 11:46 AM
saw on twitter this morning someone posted that he's started 30 games in the nfl and averages 300.7 passing yards and 100.3 rushing yards in the 3 games he played the Packers...in the other 27 games he averaged 186.9 yards passing and 30.5 yards rushing. pretty crazy.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 11:52 AM
saw on twitter this morning someone posted that he's started 30 games in the nfl and averages 300.7 passing yards and 100.3 rushing yards in the 3 games he played the Packers...in the other 27 games he averaged 186.9 yards passing and 30.5 yards rushing. pretty crazy.

It does tell us something, but 10 of those other games included no Crabtree or the other non-Boldin wideout.

Its health and pass rush.

mraynrand
01-08-2014, 12:19 PM

Good post. And it makes you wonder about the 'best player available' strategy. The 49ers needed a safety badly, so they traded up for Reid and got a stud. That's called drafting for need, and according to many, it's supposed to be the worst thing you can do. Sherman did it and people hated him for it. But what they really hated was drafting players who sucked. The bottom line is you have to draft players who can play. If you have a system, you have to draft system players. If you draft best player available, you have to have coaches that can plug those guys in and adapt. It seems at least some of what's going on is a disconnect between 'best player' drafting and coaches that can't entirely adapt.

Zool
01-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Conspiracy time. Maybe Thompson is acquiring 4-3 guys over the last 2 drafts with the idea of switching back. Neal and Perry with Jones and Boyd on paper looks like a pretty good line that could legitimately do some zone drops. Move Hawk to Mike so he can absorb the FB. Matthews and player to be named playing OLB (though as previously discussed you don't pay a 4-3 OLB near what Clay makes). Maybe Clay is just a great football player who would make plays where ever he lines up. He currently

/conspiracy

red
01-08-2014, 12:36 PM
did TT kill you before you had a chance to finish revealing his plan?

channtheman
01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
It does tell us something, but 10 of those other games included no Crabtree or the other non-Boldin wideout.

Its health and pass rush.

Somewhat, they didn't have Crabtree against us in the first game this season.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 02:18 PM
Somewhat, they didn't have Crabtree against us in the first game this season.

Fair point. Davis and Boldin were enough once.

pbmax
01-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Good post. And it makes you wonder about the 'best player available' strategy. The 49ers needed a safety badly, so they traded up for Reid and got a stud. That's called drafting for need, and according to many, it's supposed to be the worst thing you can do. Sherman did it and people hated him for it. But what they really hated was drafting players who sucked. The bottom line is you have to draft players who can play. If you have a system, you have to draft system players. If you draft best player available, you have to have coaches that can plug those guys in and adapt. It seems at least some of what's going on is a disconnect between 'best player' drafting and coaches that can't entirely adapt.

But the approach begs the question, if you limit your search for the right players to those who you are convinced can play in the NFL and your system its expensive in terms of picks.

And if there is not a proportional rise in the success rate, you will be harming your team. It worked for the 49ers with Reid, it has failed many other times.

I think there is a fundamental disconnect between Thompson and Capers that needs to be resolved. Or the next Nick Collins needs to be graduating from a Division II school this spring.

Tony Oday
01-08-2014, 02:26 PM
Hyde makes the pick we win.

wist43
01-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I've made this argument forever - BPA is fine, but you also have to build a team and fill holes.

If you run a 3-4, and the BPA is a 4-3 DE... you can make that pick and find a way to fit him in - BUT - and it's a big BUT, you can't do that habitually. You can accommodate 1 guy, and then 2 guys, but what happens when you make exceptions for a 3rd guy and a 4th guy and so on?? Eventually you have a roster of misfit toys, that can't possibly succeed without you changing the system you run.

And that, at least in large part, is what has happened to the Packers defense.

Raji is best suited to DT in a 4-3; same thing with Worthy; Perry is best suited as a 4-3 DE; Neal is a tweener, but best suited to a 4-3. Daniels is a subpackage 4-3 guy; and Hawk and B. Jones are both very pedestrian LB's.

They may have all been the BPA when TT took them, but add them all up and you have a dysfunctional front seven.

Add to that the fact that Capers misuses almost all of them, and is so married to the 2-4 that he is perfectly willing to watch his defense get continually gashed rather than adjust, and you have a tailor made mess on your hands.

I don't see the Packers changing their approach at all... this is going to continue.

red
01-08-2014, 04:00 PM
i always said "best player available at a position of need"

woodbuck27
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
i always said "best player available at a position of need"

Your too logical red. :grin:

bobblehead
01-08-2014, 08:33 PM
did TT kill you before you had a chance to finish revealing his plan?

That sucks..I liked zool.

Bretsky
01-08-2014, 09:38 PM
That draft made no sense to me except to scream we need a pass rush. Which was nice to see the Packers agreed with everyone. But it was a poorly conceived effort. Who was the other DT available Devon Still?

Anyone heard from him?

He's done very little; been an underperformer who'd been banged up.

Kiwon
01-09-2014, 12:14 AM
I just finished watching the replay.

Capernick's play might have exposed some weaknesses but he's got nothing to do with guys dropping passes or interceptions, failing to tackle, or failing to execute the defensive play called.

The 4th and 6 conversion in the first quarter on a blown coverage and his last run when Bush didn't keep containment were killers.

GB got away with plenty in the PI and holding departments that weren't flagged. If the game had been called very strictly, the score in the 1st half might have been very different.