PDA

View Full Version : CAPERS TO OVERSEE TURNAROUND OF DEFENSE....JS

Bretsky
01-09-2014, 01:02 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/dom-capers-intends-to-oversee-turnaround-of-packers-defense-b99180291z1-239362171.html

woodbuck27
01-09-2014, 05:18 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/dom-capers-intends-to-oversee-turnaround-of-packers-defense-b99180291z1-239362171.html

B. no disrespect for you but my immediate reactions reading this:

CAPERS TO OVERSEE TURNAROUND OF DEFENSE.

1) Remove the proper nown "CAPERS" from the sentence.

Then you would read:

(BLANK : MM and TT fill in the Name Please) TO OVERSEE TURNAROUND OF DEFENSE.

2) Because the sentence reads as it does:

My second or follow-up response is to ignore the LINK. Why? Because I've already read too much BS since the San Fran 49ers handed the team I love and support their collective ass's again.

Note:

I'll add this. The Packer player responses after the San Fran 49ers game are what I deem 'REAL' or at least some of them ring/resonate that way with me. I do feel some of the players have really felt/feel hurt. ie Packer Rookie RB Eddie Lacy. That man amazed me with all he gave to his team this season. That man has turned out so far as "a feather in Ted Thompson's drafting hat", for the Class of 2013 Rookie Crop.

Ahh I don't like that term "CROP".

I'll revise that to "the Class of 2013 NFL Rookies presently being developed by the Green Bay Packers HEAD COACH MIKE McCARTHY, and...................................... his coaching staff.

In terms of sincerity and pain from....................... "another quick exit from the playoff's".

One of the players seems somewhat insincere. His reactions possibly more self centered. Maybe too much directed onto himself. Maybe no surely could be more centered on him being "only" a very important part of the TEAM AS A WHOLE.

I need time to better assess that. Feelings are raw after such a disappointing game outcome. There's just something I feel now in my guts that bugs me. Bugs me in relation to what he's said. The manner/tone he's demonstrated following another Green Bay Packer loss to the San Fran 49ers.

I did take this away from Mike McCarthy's presser and results released by sports writers yesterday.

All isn't well in the Green bay Packers "CULTURE" or Locker Room. There's something 'definitely'... "stinking in the State of Denmark"

My reaction to Packer HC Mike McCarthy after that loss:

I wish/want so much for that to be different. It is what it is because it's in my face. More so into my Green Bay Packer fan " Heart and Soul ". In clear terms and Packer HC Mike McCarthy. I cannot possibly accept what I so far deem unacceptable as a Packer fan in Mike McCarthy's manners and attitude. Has he disappointed me? NO ! That man is easily predictable and based in his past that's so true.

Based on that I'm simply waiting until he's fully exposed himself and falls flat on his face.

There's always hope. I've seen /witnessed people change for the better. I sincerely hope that Mike McCarthy will suddenly smarten up. I need to hang onto that because I love the Green Bay Packer TEAM.

As it's going at this time. Mike McCarthy's ways are going to cost him his job as Head Coach of the Green Bay Packers. It does no good for any Packer fan to sit idly/quietly by and not feel a clear need to protest. Certainly that should be and for the welfare of the Green Bay Packers.

If that Packer fan is at all tuned into things Packers? It's paramount that, that fan questions Mike McCarthy's attitude and ways/manners. His seemingly indifference to what Packer Nation has to see as required/needed change. Change for THE TEAM's better future.

Ignoring such change is easy to predict: A one way ticket out of the Green Bay Packers Organization for Packer Head Coach Mike McCarthy. Stupidity is too often born of stubbornness. The best predictor of stupidity is stubbornness.

It's stick with (those guys) Mike McCarthy and you better be "bang on - right on". Your job is resting on a 2014 Season improved outcome. An improvement over what you've NOT delivered to Packer Nation, where it really counts, or in the playoff's since the 2010 Season Super Bowl Championship.

You cannot any longer fall back on your recurrent excuses or " by gosh (s) or I thought it would be different (s) " .

I'll add this:

Mike McCarthy had better and determinably so; do something positive to fix this Packer player "Injury Thing" and actually should have starting sometime last season! NO! He should have gotten on top of that at least 3-4 seasons ago.

Mike McCarthy's response to question (s) and focused on that huge issue. Read it or watch / listen to it and feel that response as you will.

I was absolutely shocked at his response. His response and "one word". That word being "NO" !

Please... Give me a fricken break Mike McCarthy.

That man is out to lunch and that response. That man is "in your face" shocking. This injury issue has been going on for at least 4 seasons now and Mike McCarthys "NO response" didn't resonate at all well with me.

That response sickened me.

GO PACK GO !

Kiwon
01-09-2014, 06:49 AM
Personally, I trust TT's and M3's opinion. If they think Capers can get the job done then that's good enough for me.

The benefits of five years of work experience together shouldn't be discounted.

pittstang5
01-09-2014, 06:54 AM
I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. How everything went this year, I really thought Capers would be gone or at least "forced retirement." Capers is a good coach and has been around for a long time...maybe too long. MM is loyal, maybe too loyal.

If anything, Slocum better be gone.

woodbuck27
01-09-2014, 07:43 AM
I shouldn't be surprised, but I am a little. How everything went this year, I really thought Capers would be gone or at least "forced retirement." Capers is a good coach and has been around for a long time...maybe too long. MM is loyal, maybe too loyal.

If anything, Slocum better be gone.

Maybe? he'll be the bone that's tossed to the angry crowd but don't bet on that. :whist:

PACKERS!

Striker
01-09-2014, 07:49 AM
I was expecting it up until the 49ers game, when the undermanned defense managed to relatively hold the 49ers in check. That gave credence to the "personnel not coaching is the problem" theory.

And with all of the injuries we will see Slocum and Capers back next season unless MM sees something he really doesn't like during evals.

red
01-09-2014, 08:27 AM
so, doms gonna fix the d this year?

why couldnt he do that last year, or the year before when we also ranked near the bottom?

Smeefers
01-09-2014, 08:37 AM
so, doms gonna fix the d this year?

why couldnt he do that last year, or the year before when we also ranked near the bottom?

Well, as it said in the story, they did have a third string line backer hobbling after Kap on a twisted knee. Bah. This is impossible. Until you see what he can do with a healthy defense, you'll never know how good he really is. We'll never have a healthy defense because of the curse of Brett Favre.

denverYooper
01-09-2014, 09:18 AM
The article was just a re-hash of some quotes from yesterday and a handful of statistics. We've done better work here :)

Rutnstrut
01-09-2014, 12:50 PM
FUCKING BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They've said dumb fuck Dom, was going to turn around the defense for the last three years.

Tony Oday
01-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Can we hire the Special Teams Coach that was fired from the Vikes? They may suck as a team but he developed a good kicker and the return game is great.

MadScientist
01-09-2014, 01:20 PM
It does fit in with the idea that Capers didn't trust his players, especially with Hayward and Mathews down. The scheme was diluted to try to prevent gaping holes and therefore had lots of small holes. The question is, could anyone scheme better with the players available? The corollary is would those gaping holes be smaller with better coaching of the available players? If the first question is a clear yes than Capers should go, if the second is yes, one or more position coaches should go. If both are no, get better players by any means necessary.

hoosier
01-09-2014, 01:30 PM
As I see it Capers has been victimized by one of the inherent limitations of the TT draft-and-develop method (which is not to say I think the method is bad, I like it): if injuries don't let you cultivate continuity then your young players don't develop quickly and your units don't play well together. At least by my reckoning the Packers have lost an unusual number of starters to injury, and that clearly has had an effect on team defense as well as player development. The inability to replace two or three key playmakers from 2010 may be partly the fault of draft miscalculations but they still don't know what they have in Neal, Perry and others because they've lost so much time to the repetitive injury thing.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2014, 03:39 PM
Can we hire the Special Teams Coach that was fired from the Vikes? They may suck as a team but he developed a good kicker and the return game is great.

Their return game is great because of Patterson. Their coverage teams stink. Don't want any part of that coach.

Cheesehead Craig
01-09-2014, 03:42 PM
As I see it Capers has been victimized by one of the inherent limitations of the TT draft-and-develop method (which is not to say I think the method is bad, I like it): if injuries don't let you cultivate continuity then your young players don't develop quickly and your units don't play well together. At least by my reckoning the Packers have lost an unusual number of starters to injury, and that clearly has had an effect on team defense as well as player development. The inability to replace two or three key playmakers from 2010 may be partly the fault of draft miscalculations but they still don't know what they have in Neal, Perry and others because they've lost so much time to the repetitive injury thing.

I can see this defense of Dom, however I still want him gone. I think it really is time for a change for the sake of change on defense if nothing else. I just don't believe that he adjusts well if plan A goes to pot, and I haven't seen a whole lot of good plan As in the last 2+ years.

pbmax
01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
It does fit in with the idea that Capers didn't trust his players, especially with Hayward and Mathews down. The scheme was diluted to try to prevent gaping holes and therefore had lots of small holes. The question is, could anyone scheme better with the players available? The corollary is would those gaping holes be smaller with better coaching of the available players? If the first question is a clear yes than Capers should go, if the second is yes, one or more position coaches should go. If both are no, get better players by any means necessary.

I think by the end of the year he is out of talent and bodies to do much else. His game plan this year was very close to the game plan for the first half of the playoff game in San Fran. This one featured a bit more single safety (like the first game this year) and help with Davis and occasionally Boldin. The plan was not to get beat by the Gore and not by the read-option. Success. Keep and eye on Kap and spy him? Fail.

When your choices at outside linebacker are an injured Mulumba or Datone Jones, you are leaking water no pump will evacuate.

There were greater failures this year on D, but he did about all that could be done versus the 49ers.

wist43
01-09-2014, 04:09 PM
There are plenty of excuses that can be used in Doms defense - young players and injuries at the top of the list; however, there can be no excuse for some of the crap he's put out on the field the past 3 years.

#1 is the 2-4, the Forty-Niners may be able to get away with playing a 2-4 against us, but they have some very stout front seven personnel, while our guys, even with Matthews, are not well suited to play a 2-4.

That being the case, and the fact that we do have some good players in the overall grouping, it is on Capers to put them in positions to be successful - the 2-4 does not do that in the least. The 3-3 nickel would have been a much more effective alignment, but Capers never figured that out.

#2 is the constant miscommunication in the back end. Yes, youth is an excuse; but if you know your guys are inexperienced, it is on Capers to simplify the calls and adjustments to ensure that there aren't miscommunications. Opposing receivers routinely catch balls and run several yards before the first defender even shows up on the screen. Players take bad angles, line up out of position, provide lax coverage on just about anything other than man up the sideline, are easily picked off on routes, on and on... youth doesn't explain the overall mess.

#3 would be poor adjustments. If plan A works?? we generally play well until the offense adjusts - then Mr. Spraypainted Hair is exposed. If plan A doesn't work?? we're sunk from the git-go. Anquan Boldin going for 300 yds receiving, and Reggie Wayne catching 63 balls for 412 yds?? You'd think he'd catch on after a bit, but no.

Setting a league record for pass defense futility in 2011 wasn't enough to get him fired; giving up 579 yds, and over 300 yds rushing, and a QB rushing record of 181 yds in last years playoffs wasn't enough to get him fired; and finishing 25th in defense this year, with all of the breakdowns, poor play, and lousy gameplans wasn't enough to get him fired...

I can only conclude that Dom Capers will be coaching the Packers defense when he is 93 years old, regardless of performance.

Rodgers12
01-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Please tell me you're joking. That guy is NOT 'Packer People.' That guy is a fucking bigot. End of discussion.

(Discussion concluded before Professor Rand stops by to lecture us about the biology, genetics and ethics of sexuality. :))

red
01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
i don't know

its not like the problems on the defense just popped up this year out of the blue. we've been seeing the same problems for three seasons now and he wasn't able to fix it at any other point, i have no faith in him fixing it now

woodbuck27
01-09-2014, 11:51 PM
Please tell me you're joking. That guy is NOT 'Packer People.' That guy is a fucking bigot. End of discussion.

(Discussion concluded before Professor Rand stops by to lecture us about the biology, genetics and ethics of sexuality. :))

Really and too easy to strike that "don't touch him" as he's too HOT.

It falls under the category:

Where there's smoke there's usually FIRE !

Pugger
01-10-2014, 09:00 AM

We need more talent on that side of the ball at certain positions. Its hard to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Pugger
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
i don't know

its not like the problems on the defense just popped up this year out of the blue. we've been seeing the same problems for three seasons now and he wasn't able to fix it at any other point, i have no faith in him fixing it now

I thought earlier this year we could see some improvement on D. We were stopping the run with some regularity and getting pressure on the QB. But the D progressively got worse as the season went on starting with the first Bears game when Rodgers got hurt? Coincidence? :huh:

pbmax
01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
The more I think about this, I would prefer he find a monster ILB to play alongside Hawk. Monster as in play, not necessarily size.

Safety first, monster ILB second. Run plugging, two gappers are picked up by defenses every year. The talent on the d line on this team is pass rush type. Have to hope that is still developing.

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 10:59 AM

I'd rather suggest not relying entirely on the testimony of a mediocre, disgruntled, terminated employee.

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 11:05 AM
#1 is the 2-4, the Forty-Niners may be able to get away with playing a 2-4 against us, but they have some very stout front seven personnel, while our guys, even with Matthews, are not well suited to play a 2-4.

Seems like the Packers can put just as stout a 2-4 out there are the 49ers, with Neal and Perry as OLB nand Pickett and Jolly inside, APRH. The Niners just have far better LBs, even if you swap Matthews for Jones, in the "Stout 2-4."

denverYooper
01-10-2014, 02:37 PM
Seems like the Packers can put just as stout a 2-4 out there are the 49ers, with Neal and Perry as OLB nand Pickett and Jolly inside, APRH. The Niners just have far better LBs, even if you swap Matthews for Jones, in the "Stout 2-4."

Oh, you mean the unit that has 4 current and former all-pros playing? That might help.