PDA

View Full Version : Flynnsanity

call_me_ishmael
01-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Does anybody think Matty Ice will be back? I would love it if we just ponied up and paid him to stay and be a career back-up ala Douglas Peterson. It would be very soothing to not have to worry about the #2 spot.

Having said that, if they want to continue carrying #3 every year and trying to develop somebody to deal, I'm all about it but that would mean one less roster spot on the 53.

The guy proved that he can be effective in the M3 system. I see no reason he shouldn't get to stick around.

LEWCWA
01-10-2014, 12:48 AM
no doubt he should be back.....

Guiness
01-10-2014, 01:10 AM
i wonder about the stories that his elbow is messed?

woodbuck27
01-10-2014, 01:17 AM
i wonder about the stories that his elbow is messed?

That's too obvious

That doesn't matter to the Packers.

That's too obvious.

smuggler
01-10-2014, 04:31 AM
Even if he has the surgery, which was rumored, he should still be able to return next year. This isn't baseball.

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 08:27 AM
Seriously? Flynn is injured too? Guess that figures. I say keep Flynn, APRH.

red
01-10-2014, 10:58 AM
i think its a no brainer that flynn should be brought back

team went 2-2-1 with him at the hekm, thats all i want out of a backup. give us a chance to win a game or two if a-rod goes down

he should be cheap, he made his money and knows no one else will want him to be a starter

flynns stats during those 5 games
62% completion rate
1146 yards
7 td's
4 ints
QBR- 86.1

those aren't bad numbers for a backup. sure they aren't a-rod numbers, but there's only 3 guys in the NFL that put up a-rod numbers, and none of those guys are backups

MadScientist
01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
If he signs for vet minimum, keep him until someone else beats him out. He's a backup, and they should be able to find someone serviceable cheap. Just make sure he is on the roster at the start of OTA's.

Guiness
01-10-2014, 11:31 AM

team went 2-2-1 with him at the hekm, thats all i want out of a backup. give us a chance to win a game or two if a-rod goes down

he should be cheap, he made his money and knows no one else will want him to be a starter

62% completion rate
1146 yards
7 td's
4 ints
QBR- 86.1

those aren't bad numbers for a backup. sure they aren't a-rod numbers, but there's only 3 guys in the NFL that put up a-rod numbers, and none of those guys are backups

Those are pretty damn good numbers for a backup, even more so when you consider when he was aquired and how limited the playbook must've been for him at first. Tying Minnesota was a heartbreaker at the time, after how far back the Pack came and how close they were to winning that game, but that was a heck of a performance out of him. By all accounts he spent the week unpacking his suitcase and got little to no snaps at practice because Tolzien needed them all.

Of his little around-the-league tour, the stop that gets me is Oakland.
Seattle I get, he was hurt during camp (elbow tendinitis Woody!) and once Wilson got on the field he wasn't getting off. His salary was too big for a backup.
Buffalo wasn't interested in giving him a chance, he was a placeholder while their other QBs were injured...although he was released while they still had 2 on the injury report.

Oakland though? It's not like they have a solid QB there. His one game had some ok passing numbers, 21/32 for 227yds, 1TD 1INT. He got sacked 7 times, but I can't see how you put that all on the QB.

run pMc
01-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Seriously? Flynn is injured too? Guess that figures. I say keep Flynn, APRH.

Pardon my ignorance, but what does APRH mean?

KYPack
01-10-2014, 11:52 AM
Those are pretty damn good numbers for a backup, even more so when you consider when he was aquired and how limited the playbook must've been for him at first. Tying Minnesota was a heartbreaker at the time, after how far back the Pack came and how close they were to winning that game, but that was a heck of a performance out of him. By all accounts he spent the week unpacking his suitcase and got little to no snaps at practice because Tolzien needed them all.

Of his little around-the-league tour, the stop that gets me is Oakland.
Seattle I get, he was hurt during camp (elbow tendinitis Woody!) and once Wilson got on the field he wasn't getting off. His salary was too big for a backup.
Buffalo wasn't interested in giving him a chance, he was a placeholder while their other QBs were injured...although he was released while they still had 2 on the injury report.

Oakland though? It's not like they have a solid QB there. His one game had some ok passing numbers, 21/32 for 227yds, 1TD 1INT. He got sacked 7 times, but I can't see how you put that all on the QB.

I thought Oakland should have given him a mulligan. I mean, one game? That was some brutal pass pro he got in that Oakland game. Guys were flying in there and just nailing Flynn. When he had time and/or blocking on run calls, he played like Matt Flynn.

Actually, I don't want him to get a chance to start. he needs to stay in GB and be Doug Peterson or Zeke or somebody.

run pMc
01-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Flynn's a backup. All these teams aren't wrong -- he's not a full season starter.
If his elbow is messed up, he'll have surgery. He never had a gun anyway, but he wasn't exactly Chad Pennington this year either.
See what he's asking price is, and sign him if it's reasonable. Tolzien is the future at backup QB, next year Flynn might still be the present.

That said, I wonder if TT will roll the dice again, let Flynn go and just keep Tolzien and some developmental UDFA on the PS. The collarbone injury to Rodgers might scare him away from that tactic.

Tony Oday
01-10-2014, 12:01 PM

62% completion rate
1146 yards
7 td's
4 ints
QBR- 86.1

Those are better than all 3 starters in MN :)

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 12:23 PM

APRH = Assuming Player(s) Remain(s) Healthy

Rodgers12
01-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Associação Portuguesa dos Recursos Hídricos.

Source: Google.

mraynrand
01-10-2014, 12:38 PM
Associação Portuguesa dos Recursos Hídricos.

Watch yourself, gringo, or you will find the irrigation ditch empty come the dry season.

Guiness
01-10-2014, 12:44 PM
I thought Oakland should have given him a mulligan. I mean, one game? That was some brutal pass pro he got in that Oakland game. Guys were flying in there and just nailing Flynn. When he had time and/or blocking on run calls, he played like Matt Flynn.

Actually, I don't want him to get a chance to start. he needs to stay in GB and be Doug Peterson or Zeke or somebody.

Ya, it was kind of stupid, I thought Al was dead, but maybe he still haunts the halls there. Was money saved by getting rid of him (gameday roster bonuses maybe?). Not like Oakland has a cap problem, and it's stupid to change horses in mid-race. Can't tell me Flynn didn't give them a better chance to win than whoever else they brought in.

LP
01-10-2014, 02:11 PM

True, But if TT was worth a pinch of shit as a GM, He'd have one of those 3 signed as a backup for the vet minimum today!:-D

bobblehead
01-10-2014, 02:42 PM

62% completion rate
1146 yards
7 td's
4 ints
QBR- 86.1

Add in that he really had no practice time for 1.5 of those games and its not bad at all.

bobblehead
01-10-2014, 02:45 PM
APRH = Assuming Player(s) Remain(s) Healthy

I thought it was "as per rand...HOLLA!!"