PDA

View Full Version : Bakhtiari was a very bad boy!

Patler
01-10-2014, 04:44 PM
Apparently, he went back into the game for the extra point after he had sustained a concussion:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140110/PKR0101/140110015/NFL-Bakhtiari-violated-concussion-protocol

MadtownPacker
01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Interesting how there was no fine for this. So if say Lacy was needed on a 4th and one after a concussion and runs out there its all good.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-10-2014, 05:34 PM
Well, I admire his passion, we need more of that on this team, but head injuries are nothing to fuck around with.

QBME
01-10-2014, 06:52 PM
I think it was inspirational. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead.

I'm not following why more people don't think we have LT covered for the next 10 years. Bak has excelled every year in college, came out a year early, got thrown into the fire and did an amazing job. He was supposed to be a draft and develop prospect, and outside of a minimal amount of rookie brain farts, I think he did one hell of a job. He now has almost a full season experience and will only get better.

I hope that he gets after it in the off season in the weight room and puts on 10 - 15 pounds, works on his quickness and looks at some film. I really believe he is going to come to training camp as the one to beat.

denverYooper
01-10-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought Kaepernick had a potential bell ringer when Tramon hit him after the INT.

denverYooper
01-10-2014, 07:00 PM

I'm not following why more people don't think we have LT covered for the next 10 years. Bak has excelled every year in college, came out a year early, got thrown into the fire and did an amazing job. He was supposed to be a draft and develop prospect, and outside of a minimal amount of rookie brain farts, I think he did one hell of a job.

I hope that he gets after it in the off season in the weight room and put

+1. Love Bakh. And he seems to have good hamstrings.

QBME
01-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Jinx

Joemailman
01-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Yes, but he hasn't been through the Packers off-season training program yet.

channtheman
01-10-2014, 07:27 PM

No fuckin shit.

woodbuck27
01-10-2014, 07:34 PM

He'd be better off working out with his dog.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-10-2014, 07:56 PM
I like Bak too, good to see some fire. But goddammit, now I gots to learn to spell his name...

bobblehead
01-10-2014, 08:58 PM

I'm not following why more people don't think we have LT covered for the next 10 years. Bak has excelled every year in college, came out a year early, got thrown into the fire and did an amazing job. He was supposed to be a draft and develop prospect, and outside of a minimal amount of rookie brain farts, I think he did one hell of a job. He now has almost a full season experience and will only get better.

I hope that he gets after it in the off season in the weight room and puts on 10 - 15 pounds, works on his quickness and looks at some film. I really believe he is going to come to training camp as the one to beat.

We definitely don't have LT coverred for the next 10 unless this kid improves A LOT!! I like him. For a rookie 4th to jump into LT and face the murderers row he did, he was admirable. A stud he was not. I do think we got RT covered for awhile though.

Rastak
01-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Interesting how there was no fine for this. So if say Lacy was needed on a 4th and one after a concussion and runs out there its all good.

Nah, it's still evolving. Ultimately, teams will be responsible for not allowing players who have been medically ruled out from returning going forward. I'm guessing it will be addressed in the rules soon.

KYPack
01-10-2014, 10:21 PM
It would have been cool if Bak tried to kick the ball or something else crazy like that.

Will Sherrod ever be a factor here?

Barclay seems to be at his ceiling, I'd think we might see competition at RT.

Brandon494
01-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Why wasn't this rule in place 15 years ago damnit

Joemailman
01-10-2014, 10:37 PM
It would have been cool if Bak tried to kick the ball or something else crazy like that.

No idea what to expect from Sherrod. I think Barclay is done as a starter. Tackle positions will be manned by some combination of Bulaga/Sherrod/Bakhtiari. About the only thing we know for sure next year is that Sitton will be at LG.

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 07:25 AM

Back ran out there cuz he knew Sherrod would f'ck it up if the coaches called on him :))))

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 07:26 AM

Don't forget about Bulaga; he'll be fine. He's a gamer and will start for us next year

bobblehead
01-11-2014, 07:31 AM

For me this is the BIG question. If he is what I believe he could be, then we are good at OL. If he isn't, we got big problems, because Bulaga can't stay on the field and even Bulaga is better suited for RT than LT. We don't have another massive manchild on the roster to play LT. It will be as big of a hole as safety. Bulaga can get you by if you run the ball early and often, probably better than Bak did. Bak is definitely a RT in my book though, maybe even a guard.

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 07:35 AM
For me this is the BIG question. If he is what I believe he could be, then we are good at OL. If he isn't, we got big problems, because Bulaga can't stay on the field and even Bulaga is better suited for RT than LT. We don't have another massive manchild on the roster to play LT. It will be as big of a hole as safety. Bulaga can get you by if you run the ball early and often, probably better than Bak did. Bak is definitely a RT in my book though, maybe even a guard.

In my book Bach gets consideration for Rookie of the Year; I question his upside but in year one he held his own and was not terrible. One might even argue he was adequate...which is great for a guy as young as he is. Maybe he has some Mark Tauscher in him and he'll be a polished OL for many years ahead. There were a lot of worse OT's in the NFL last year who started

I know the stats say Bulaga can't stay healthy. He's one of the guys I'm drinking the Homer juice on anyways. He is very talented and it would not surprise me if he's with us for many years ahead as a solid starter at RT or OG

bobblehead
01-11-2014, 07:42 AM
In my book Bach gets consideration for Rookie of the Year; I question his upside but in year one he held his own and was not terrible. One might even argue he was adequate...which is great for a guy as young as he is. Maybe he has some Mark Tauscher in him and he'll be a polished OL for many years ahead. There were a lot of worse OT's in the NFL last year who started

I know the stats say Bulaga can't stay healthy. He's one of the guys I'm drinking the Homer juice on anyways. He is very talented and it would not surprise me if he's with us for many years ahead as a solid starter at RT or OG

There were only a small handful of them at LT though.

pbmax
01-11-2014, 08:24 AM
Back ran out there cuz he knew Sherrod would f'ck it up if the coaches called on him :))))

I wil have you know that Derek was out of his warm clothes faster than Newhouse when word came to the sideline that Bach was down.

Sure, they sent Newhouse in, but dammit Sherrod was ready!

pbmax
01-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Bach is great but its a size deal. Against anything but top level guys he can do well. But stick something special across from him and its an immediate problem. Saw this versus the 49ers and Bears.

Bulaga is a tough call. His availability is now at Sherrod levels (though he did play and start much earlier than Sherrod). I doubt he is let go but you can't count on his health.

Fining the player for going back in is counterproductive. Have to fine the team.

Patler
01-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I know it was only a week, but Larry McCarren raved about Bulaga at LT before his injury. He said the Packers had not had anyone line up at LT who was that athletic and fundamentally solid since Clifton before he got old. He said the improvement would be huge for the O-line.

Pugger
01-11-2014, 11:16 AM
It will be fun to have Bulaga at LT then have Bak and Sherrod compete for the RT spot next season.

Patler
01-11-2014, 12:50 PM
It will be fun to have Bulaga at LT then have Bak and Sherrod compete for the RT spot next season.

I can envision so many different lineups with different combinations of those three, Lang, SItton and EDS. But there are a lot of question marks:
- Does Sherrod still have the potential he did?
- Is Bulaga healthy, and can he stay in the lineup?
- Can Lang be a full time center?
- Can one of Bulaga, Sherrod and Bakhtiari be a starting guard?
- Can EDS be resigned?

Then there are Barclay and Tretter, too. Lots of possible combinations.

bobblehead
01-11-2014, 01:05 PM
I know it was only a week, but Larry McCarren raved about Bulaga at LT before his injury. He said the Packers had not had anyone line up at LT who was that athletic and fundamentally solid since Clifton before he got old. He said the improvement would be huge for the O-line.

I agree if healthy Bulaga can man the spot and be somewhere around a 12-16 in the league at it. That is serviceable, but i would rather have a long armed shufflestepping monster like Sherrod there. If Bulaga is lined up there you have to run that way so he can wear down the elite pass rushers and I have no faith in Stubby to do that. As many have pointed out, our coaches like to play the way things oughtta be, not the way they are.

Guiness
01-11-2014, 01:10 PM
What happened with Bakhtiari? He played in the second half, did he undergo the protocol at halftime? The wording of an article about this is interesting

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24404724/nfl-2-players-violated-concussion-protocol-in-wild-card-games

One line says in part: "players who had been diagnosed with a concussion". Were they diagnosed, or is that just poor wording and they were just suspected of having one? If Bak was diagnosed to have one, why was he back in the game later? I don't think he recovered in time for the end of the game...

Bossman641
01-11-2014, 01:17 PM
What happened with Bakhtiari? He played in the second half, did he undergo the protocol at halftime? The wording of an article about this is interesting

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24404724/nfl-2-players-violated-concussion-protocol-in-wild-card-games

One line says in part: "players who had been diagnosed with a concussion". Were they diagnosed, or is that just poor wording and they were just suspected of having one? If Bak was diagnosed to have one, why was he back in the game later? I don't think he recovered in time for the end of the game...

I think he got a concussion the play before the Kuhn TD. I believe he missed the TD play, than came back into the game for the extra point and was out after that.

Striker
01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
I think he got a concussion the play before the Kuhn TD. I believe he missed the TD play, than came back into the game for the extra point and was out after that.

Yep. He took a knee to the helmet.

KYPack
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
They may have to create a penalty box or concussion cage or something to bottle all the dinged players up so they can't get back out and play.

Guiness
01-11-2014, 02:36 PM

But did he actually have a concussion, or just suspected of having one?

That play was at the end of the first half, he was back for the second half, or at least most of it. Football Outsiders has him at 55 snaps and Newhouse with 15. He also had a penalty in the 4th quarter. The Packers had 67 offensive snaps during the game, so Newhouse covered Bak for a dozen, the other three were when EDS came out for a few snaps.

Patler
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
But did he actually have a concussion, or just suspected of having one?

That play was at the end of the first half, he was back for the second half, or at least most of it. Football Outsiders has him at 55 snaps and Newhouse with 15. He also had a penalty in the 4th quarter. The Packers had 67 offensive snaps during the game, so Newhouse covered Bak for a dozen, the other three were when EDS came out for a few snaps.

Bakhtiari got his concussion on the next to last possession of the 4th quarter. I think he got dinged up on a play in the 1st half, but didn't even come out. Just hobbled a bit before the next play.

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 03:02 PM
I wil have you know that Derek was out of his warm clothes faster than Newhouse when word came to the sideline that Bach was down.

Sure, they sent Newhouse in, but dammit Sherrod was ready!

That had to be a pie in the face for some of the Justine Homers
ouch

Guiness
01-11-2014, 04:00 PM
Bakhtiari got his concussion on the next to last possession of the 4th quarter. I think he got dinged up on a play in the 1st half, but didn't even come out. Just hobbled a bit before the next play.

Oh, for some reason I had it that he got concussed leading up to the FG at the end of the first half. Didn't he come out for at least a play then? Maybe not.

Pugger
01-11-2014, 08:07 PM
I can envision so many different lineups with different combinations of those three, Lang, SItton and EDS. But there are a lot of question marks:
- Does Sherrod still have the potential he did?
- Is Bulaga healthy, and can he stay in the lineup?
- Can Lang be a full time center? I'd rather he stay at RG.
- Can one of Bulaga, Sherrod and Bakhtiari be a starting guard? Sherrod is no guard but the other 2? Donno.
- Can EDS be resigned? I can't imagine there'll be a ton of teams lining up for his services.

Then there are Barclay and Tretter, too. Lots of possible combinations.

LT Bulaga
LG Sitton
C EDS or Tretter
RG Lang
RG Bak or Sherrod

Pugger
01-11-2014, 08:08 PM
They may have to create a penalty box or concussion cage or something to bottle all the dinged players up so they can't get back out and play.

Or do a better job hiding their helmets.

NewsBruin
01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Pugger, you're not too far off on the helmet suggestion.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/01/10/nfl-two-players-violated-concussion-protocol/?sct=obnetwork

In short, "Our rules are that players should not play after getting a concussion, but if those coherently-thinking brutes muscle their way back onto the field, our officials have no recourse but to spot the ball and let them play; we certainly can't blame the helpless teams."

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Bulaga is a tough call. His availability is now at Sherrod levels (though he did play and start much earlier than Sherrod). I doubt he is let go but you can't count on his health.

Injury Prone! Start the Yoga training!

NewsBruin
01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Hell, if Colt McCoy can be laid out and put back into the game, and a freaking sideline reporter can tell everyone that Bahkiari was concussed (I'm sure Gooddell's ordered a hit on Pam Oliver), then something different needs to be done to give even the window-dressing of seriousness.

How about, "All teams are mandated to give concussion assessments if XYZ minimum criteria are present. A team representative must immediately notify the head referee they are assessing the player and will present the official with the player's helmet. Once the player has been ruled negative for a concussion by a league-designed professional, the official will return the helmet. Any team that does not notify the officials of a player who displays symptoms of possible head injury will forfeit their second-round pick in the following draft (or first, if the pick is unavailable or previously forfeited).

And in tangential news, the judge has rejected the concussion settlement, pending documentation on whether the award pot was fairly and appropriately determined.

The days of Bert getting bounced off the tundra and going back in with no clue what he was doing are past their funny expiration date.

EEEEDIT: Okay, rereading the letter says the medical staff was absolved, not the teams. Still, it would be nice to see the finger pointed at someone.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Hell, if Colt McCoy can be laid out and put back into the game, and a freaking sideline reporter can tell everyone that Bahkiari was concussed (I'm sure Gooddell's ordered a hit on Pam Oliver), then something different needs to be done to give even the window-dressing of seriousness.

How about, "All teams are mandated to give concussion assessments if XYZ minimum criteria are present. A team representative must immediately notify the head referee they are assessing the player and will present the official with the player's helmet. Once the player has been ruled negative for a concussion by a league-designed professional, the official will return the helmet. Any team that does not notify the officials of a player who displays symptoms of possible head injury will forfeit their second-round pick in the following draft (or first, if the pick is unavailable or previously forfeited).

And in tangential news, the judge has rejected the concussion settlement, pending documentation on whether the award pot was fairly and appropriately determined.

The days of Bert getting bounced off the tundra and going back in with no clue what he was doing are past their funny expiration date.

EEEEDIT: Okay, rereading the letter says the medical staff was absolved, not the teams. Still, it would be nice to see the finger pointed at someone.

I think the medical staff being absolved is a de facto absolution of the team as there is no other mention of responsibility other than yelling for a position coach.

I can understand the team not wanting the Doctor to have to fight the player, but a team has to be able to control its own sideline so security should be involved if necessary. If they can keep them out of the stands, they can keep them out of the field.

Guiness
01-14-2014, 04:44 PM
I can't believe this gets discussed. This sounds like my minor league hockey games where you'd jump over the boards and yell at the player you were calling off. Usually the coach was onboard, but not always :)

McCarthy had to know he had been ruled concussed and had 11 guys on the field. If he went on without permission, how did the Pack not end up with a too many men penalty?

Joemailman
01-14-2014, 06:06 PM
I can't believe this gets discussed. This sounds like my minor league hockey games where you'd jump over the boards and yell at the player you were calling off. Usually the coach was onboard, but not always :)

McCarthy had to know he had been ruled concussed and had 11 guys on the field. If he went on without permission, how did the Pack not end up with a too many men penalty?

Bakh went back in for an extra point. I doubt MM is keeping tabs on who is on the field for a routine ST play. Slocum should have known though.

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
Bakh went back in for an extra point. I doubt MM is keeping tabs on who is on the field for a routine ST play. Slocum should have known though.

FIRE SLOCUM FOR NEGLIGENCE!

pbmax
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
There is a time element. You run on the field and yell for someone to get off, they are not going to stay out there to debate while the clock is winding down.

Need to put the Club on his helmet.