PDA

View Full Version : So, why hasn't James Campen been replaced with Jon Benton yet??

Iron Mike
01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/01/texans-fire-offensive-line-coach-john-benton/

Guy's been mentored by Alex Gibbs:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/john-benton/aa5a8e16-e5e0-48ad-bd9f-9f0dc824e854

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 05:36 PM
That's an easy one

Because James Campen did a great job this year

There are several guys I'm looking to replace right now before looking at Campen

red
01-11-2014, 05:41 PM
i don't know if this guy would be an answer, but i have no problem with replacing campen

i've been underwhelmed with him for a few years now

Pugger
01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
i don't know if this guy would be an answer, but i have no problem with replacing campen

i've been underwhelmed with him for a few years now

Then who coached Bak and Barclay up along with EDS? I don't have an issue with Campen. We have other assistants that are underwhelming.

packer4life
01-11-2014, 08:27 PM
MM declared the run game was a focus this year.

Campen assisted in a remarkable turnaround and gave us the best rushing attack since 2003.

Starks, when used, averaged over 5yds/carry this year. Yes, the same Starks that averaged 3.4yds/carry during the playoffs in 2010 when we won it all.

I'd say job well done on this front. Campen deserves his job.

bobblehead
01-11-2014, 08:47 PM
http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2014/01/texans-fire-offensive-line-coach-john-benton/

Guy's been mentored by Alex Gibbs:

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/john-benton/aa5a8e16-e5e0-48ad-bd9f-9f0dc824e854

I was screaming for Alex Gibbs when we were running zone. Now that we are phasing it out, no point in hiring a ZBS guy....but stubby probably hires him now.

Bretsky
01-11-2014, 10:41 PM
i'ts beyond my understanding why we're not giving Campen a ton of credit for an outstanding job this year

We've got fish to fry.....SLOCUM

Striker
01-12-2014, 01:18 AM
Because the OL was not actually a major concern this year.

They need to talk to the training staff and strength and conditioning staff though...the injuries are absurd.

Noodle
01-12-2014, 01:54 AM
Despite what others may think, I think the O Line was, once again, a BIG problem this year. But really, WTF do I know. I wish a retired guy like Tausch, who played under Campen, would be interviewed as to his views about the coach. If he thinks the guy has game, then that means something to me.

But based on what I see, the unit consistently underperforms.

bobblehead
01-12-2014, 08:30 AM
They ran block better this year based on 2 young tackles with a lot of desire. Those 2 aren't great, but they never quit on a play and that helps a RB a ton. I don't know how much credit to give Campen. It seems that most of our OL are at their ceiling when they get here.

pbmax
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
i'ts beyond my understanding why we're not giving Campen a ton of credit for an outstanding job this year

Because with frustration setting in, the coaches are being treated like QBs, too much credit and too much blame.

Take his 2010 line, subtract Wells, Bulaga and Clifton and add Bach, EDS and Barclay you get the following:

Worse play at center, but better blocking overall on ZBS. MUCH better blocking in virtually all other run packages.

Worse pass blocking, including screens and quick outside throws.

Campen hasn't changed, his players have.

MadScientist
01-13-2014, 09:25 AM
No matter who the players are, the OL always starts the year like shit. They improve somewhat throughout the year, but in the end they are at best marginal. The pass protection isn't very good. Other teams get as much pressure rushing 4 as the Packers do rushing 6. The run blocking isn't all that great. If it wasn't for the fact that Lacy doesn't go down on the first hit, the running game would look as shitty as always. Lacy was often hit before the line but still ended up gaining several yards, or making instant changes to avoid a loss due to a bad block. Campen sucks donkey balls as he always has, and can't be fired soon enough.

If Campen truly is getting what can be gotten out of the OL players then the entire evaluation process for offensive linemen needs to be blown up and redone from scratch.

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
No matter who the players are, the OL always starts the year like shit. They improve somewhat throughout the year, but in the end they are at best marginal. The pass protection isn't very good. Other teams get as much pressure rushing 4 as the Packers do rushing 6. The run blocking isn't all that great. If it wasn't for the fact that Lacy doesn't go down on the first hit, the running game would look as shitty as always. Lacy was often hit before the line but still ended up gaining several yards, or making instant changes to avoid a loss due to a bad block. Campen sucks donkey balls as he always has, and can't be fired soon enough.

If Campen truly is getting what can be gotten out of the OL players then the entire evaluation process for offensive linemen needs to be blown up and redone from scratch.

I wonder how many teams currently have as little invested, in terms of draft picks in their current starting offensive line. For the Packers, it's 3 4th round picks (1 a rookie), and 2 UDFA's. The primary backups are a 5th round pick and an UDFA. Contrast that with the front 7 of the defense where you have several 1st and 2nd round picks. Campen has had to try to make do with a lot less resources than the defensive coaches.

Guiness
01-13-2014, 11:23 AM
I wonder how many teams currently have as little invested, in terms of draft picks in their current starting offensive line. For the Packers, it's 3 4th round picks (1 a rookie), and 2 UDFA's. The primary backups are a 5th round pick and an UDFA. Contrast that with the front 7 of the defense where you have several 1st and 2nd round picks. Campen has had to try to make do with a lot less resources than the defensive coaches.

The perceived talent level would change significantly if the 2 recent first round tackles were healthy. I feel the investment is there, it just hasn't paid off.

As far as 4th round picks, well, I don't think anyone is complaining about the guards.

red
01-13-2014, 12:35 PM
If it wasn't for the fact that Lacy doesn't go down on the first hit, the running game would look as shitty as always. Lacy was often hit before the line but still ended up gaining several yards, or making instant changes to avoid a loss due to a bad block.

that is true. in one game i think he had more yards after contact then he had total yards

pbmax
01-13-2014, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=MadScientist;769192If it wasn't for the fact that Lacy doesn't go down on the first hit, the running game would look as shitty as always. Lacy was often hit before the line but still ended up gaining several yards, or making instant changes to avoid a loss due to a bad block.[/QUOTE]

This would be more persuasive if Starks and Franklin also had not had some success behind the same line. Part of Lacy's contact is him initiating it when he has other options.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 02:17 AM

He's wayyyyy tooooo cute .... to get rid of.

Fritz
01-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Slcoum's ST's suck year after year. Is it due to having so many many rooks on ST, or is it Slocum sucking?

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 08:50 AM
Slcoum's ST's suck year after year. Is it due to having so many many rooks on ST, or is it Slocum sucking?

I think Slocum is Bert in disguise...http://www.packers.com/assets/images/imported/GB/photos/article_images/2013/11-november/131104-slocum-300.jpg