PDA

View Full Version : What would HAVE to happen for you to not be a fan of the NFL any more?

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 12:00 PM
I've been reading through this Reddit discussion today and found it pretty interesting:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1v0e3i/difficult_question_but_in_your_opinion_what_would/ceno3ki

Some of the comments are pure gold.

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 12:20 PM
TomTheNurse counted commercials during one game (http://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/1v0e3i/difficult_question_but_in_your_opinion_what_would/ceo7el0):

I watched the Cowboys verses the Eagles and took notes. Two teams I do not care about. (I am a Dolphins fan.) Bottom line, between the kick off and the end of the first half there were 12 commercial breaks. Between the start of the third quarter and the end of the game there were also 12 commercial breaks. (Although one of them was a 30 second spot, late in the game during an injury.)
I wish they would have fewer commercial breaks where they charge more for the ads. It is terminally boring sometimes. At one point, there were 7 commercial breaks in a span of 5 minutes and 33 seconds on the game clock! 24 ads and 16 snaps of the ball during that time. (From 2:13 remaining in the first quarter to 11:40 remaining in the second quarter.)
From start to finish, there was 189 plays and including half time, there were 118 commercials. (I am defining commercials as actual 15 – 60 second spots. I am not counting things like the Visa halftime show, The N.F.L. brought to you by Ford or the Subway replay of the game for example.
The game started at 1624. It lasted 3 hours, 13 minutes and 13 seconds. During that time, there was 53 and a half minutes of air time dedicated to commercials.

A lot of comments mentioned DVR as a godsend in battling this problem.

red
01-13-2014, 12:20 PM
when i was little, i was a packer fan, not a football fan. for awhile i didn't even know they're was awhole league of teams. that lasted until about college, then i became a football fan and watched and paid attention to every game and every team (but the packers were still the only team i cheer for).

lately, i have reverted back to being more of just a packer fan. i don't pay attention to other teams, i don't watch other games

so i guess i've already quit on the nfl. if the packers were to ever fold, then i would have no more use for professional football at all

and i can pretty much agree with everything that first post said in your link

red
01-13-2014, 12:24 PM
the commercial breaks are another major reason for me, and like someone mentioned yesterday, its usually the same handfull of ads over and over again

the worst is being at the game and waiting for the commercial breaks to end. it really can take the crowd out of it when they are forced to take a 2 or 3 minute break.

and i guess to add. i do find the game very boring, not quite as bad as baseball, but come on, there really isn't all that much action in a 3 hour game

HarveyWallbangers
01-13-2014, 12:57 PM
when i was little, i was a packer fan, not a football fan. for awhile i didn't even know they're was awhole league of teams. that lasted until about college, then i became a football fan and watched and paid attention to every game and every team (but the packers were still the only team i cheer for).

lately, i have reverted back to being more of just a packer fan. i don't pay attention to other teams, i don't watch other games

so i guess i've already quit on the nfl. if the packers were to ever fold, then i would have no more use for professional football at all

I'm in the same boat. The only other reason to watch a game is fantasy football.

Guiness
01-13-2014, 01:25 PM
I brought up the commercial thing in the GDT. Makes me crazy. It was especially noticeable because I was watching it at my gf's and she doesn't have a DVR, but also (don't laugh) because the GDT was so slow! Reading and posting comments while watching the game means I pay very little attention to the screen between plays. A couple of years ago I watched my football Sunday evening or even Monday, but I enjoy following along with everyone here. I can't quit you guys!

I don't know what would drive me away. I don't like the way the league is going right now, but it's not enough to drive me away. Yet?

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 01:52 PM
the commercial breaks are another major reason for me, and like someone mentioned yesterday, its usually the same handfull of ads over and over again

the worst is being at the game and waiting for the commercial breaks to end. it really can take the crowd out of it when they are forced to take a 2 or 3 minute break.

and i guess to add. i do find the game very boring, not quite as bad as baseball, but come on, there really isn't all that much action in a 3 hour game

2 or 3 minutes.

Is that all that commercial break is in terms of time. It sometimes seems like 5 minutes.

Damn you can shit, shower and shave during some of the commercial breaks on is it CBS and NBC carried games.

I thought that FOX was bad but the other 'Monster Networks' really take you out of the game.

My biggest by far beef is the incompetence of the Officials and in terms of just how often they really really SCREW up games. The officiating in the NFL redefines "DUMB and DUMBER". It's gotten to the point of being outrageous.

It's fricken scary. Scary how they can take the football away from the game.

Let the men play football and 'only' call the obvious. The Zebra's are certainly on track to ruining the game.

If there are worse officials in any Pro Sport I'd be surprized.

These "Sunday have to be a Zebra clowns" need to stick with Church and/or Family visits, picnics, barbecues and roast beef dinners.

The NFL isn't ever going to be the BEST and truly Professional until it employs FULL TIME Professional Officials.

Pay the BEST to do the BEST.

What the NFL uses now for officiating games is a rotten joke.

IT STINKS !!

ThunderDan
01-13-2014, 01:56 PM

At the GB/SF at one point I turned to the guy next to us and said it sure would be nice of the NFL to limited the commercial breaks to 1 minute so we don't have to sit here in the cold waiting for the commercials to end. He whole heartedly agreed.

MadScientist
01-13-2014, 01:59 PM
If the Packers weren't around I would skip the NFL. As it is, any non-Packer game is just background when I am folding laundry or have nothing better. Having no salary cap and huge income disparity like baseball does would kill my interest in the game. Making it touch football due to injury liability would make it worthless as well.

ThunderDan
01-13-2014, 02:00 PM
I don't want to see actual NFL teams in Europe. I wouldn't stop watching but it would be a huge pox on the NFL.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 02:04 PM
At the GB/SF at one point I turned to the guy next to us and said it sure would be nice of the NFL to limited the commercial breaks to 1 minute so we don't have to sit here in the cold waiting for the commercials to end. He whole heartedly agreed.

He whole heartedly agreed...as we shivered and hugged one another.

It was "more than a moment". :razz:

Guiness
01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
Asking what would make me stop watching it is a lot safer question than asking why I still watch.

Asking that question, making you look at something seriously can lead to interesting answers.

Woody: don't blame the Zebras. They're only human, and are certainly doing as well as they possibly can. I have come to the conclusion that their position is untenable.

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 02:44 PM
If the Packers weren't around I would skip the NFL. As it is, any non-Packer game is just background when I am folding laundry or have nothing better. Having no salary cap and huge income disparity like baseball does would kill my interest in the game. Making it touch football due to injury liability would make it worthless as well.

This is close to my attitude. Non Packer games are usually background while doing other things (usually chasing kids these days). If something interesting happens, I'll stop and watch for a bit. I gave up on Monday/Thursday night football this year because it's too much.

We don't have cable/dish. Packers games, some olympic events, and some college hoops on occasion are the only broadcast TV I really watch now. We have streaming Netflix and I've gotten so used to a la carte programming that I can't go back. As the kids get older and more busy on the weekends I'll probably get game rewind so I can just cruise through the Packers games.

Cheesehead Craig
01-13-2014, 03:22 PM

This. I used to love watching everything with the NFL. Not so much anymore. Also fantasy football isn't the same either. Been playing Fantasy Basketball and Baseball more lately and the sheer number of games and multiple stats make it far more fun.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Asking what would make me stop watching it is a lot safer question than asking why I still watch.

Asking that question, making you look at something seriously can lead to interesting answers.

Woody: don't blame the Zebras. They're only human, and are certainly doing as well as they possibly can. I have come to the conclusion that their position is untenable.

Guiness sometimes I get so pissed at obvious missed calls that I have to have a drink.

Then another...

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:34 PM
This is close to my attitude. Non Packer games are usually background while doing other things (usually chasing kids these days). If something interesting happens, I'll stop and watch for a bit. I gave up on Monday/Thursday night football this year because it's too much.

We don't have cable/dish. Packers games, some olympic events, and some college hoops on occasion are the only broadcast TV I really watch now. We have streaming Netflix and I've gotten so used to a la carte programming that I can't go back. As the kids get older and more busy on the weekends I'll probably get game rewind so I can just cruise through the Packers games.

Isn't that the way when you've got family.

woodbuck27
01-13-2014, 04:39 PM
This. I used to love watching everything with the NFL. Not so much anymore. Also fantasy football isn't the same either. Been playing Fantasy Basketball and Baseball more lately and the sheer number of games and multiple stats make it far more fun.

and I'm the other way.

I'm absolutely and totally wound into football and much more than just Packers.

I love football to where I don't even have much time for the HABS .... the Montreal Canadians when I'm away from a Condo I keep in Quebec and wintering in Ontario.

Smeefers
01-13-2014, 05:01 PM
Uh, I guess I'll answer the thread question because I think commercials are just a neccessary evil when you deal with all the awesomeness of the NFL.

For me to quit the NFL, I'd have to hate the product on the field. It would have to go soft. Real soft. Flag Football soft.

denverYooper
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
Give it two years. RT @Justin_Felder How long before QB's snap counts are sponsored? "FORD!!! F-150!!"

MadtownPacker
01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
Uh, I guess I'll answer the thread question because I think commercials are just a neccessary evil when you deal with all the awesomeness of the NFL.

For me to quit the NFL, I'd have to hate the product on the field. It would have to go soft. Real soft. Flag Football soft.
My thoughts exactly. I'll keep smoking the crack as long as it keeps getting me high.

Joemailman
01-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 5m
Give it two years. RT @Justin_Felder How long before QB's snap counts are sponsored? "FORD!!! F-150!!"

In Detroit maybe. In Green Bay? Sargento! Johnsonville!

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 02:15 AM
My thoughts exactly. I'll keep smoking the crack as long as it keeps getting me high.

Are you up on all the outrage and this ass hat? We get a dose of Rob Ford almost daily in the news up here.

He's OK he's ALLRIGHT.

Come on crack pipe ...

Fight - Fight - Fight.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/06/05/rob_ford_with_slain_man_heres_the_house_where_the_ photo_was_taken.html

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 08:06 AM

With you here Red. The only reason I watch other games is because I live in Las Vegas and bet them. Take that away and I am only a Packer fan at this point. Take away us winning consistently.....

The OP in that link pointed out the commercial breaks. It makes non Packer games unbearable (when I'm watching football alone). Early in games you literally see this sequence. TD, commercial, XP, commercial, Kickoff, commercial. Between TD (actual game action) to team B taking the field (actual game action) you get from 6-9 minutes of commercial. They do this early to ensure they get the spots in while viewership is still high, but in the process I lose interest and change the channel.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 08:10 AM

Agree that technology has put a spotlight on the officials. Superzoom HD from every angle makes it easy to spot every mistake.

Striker
01-14-2014, 08:16 AM

Pretty much this. As long as the Packers are around and the game remains a contact sport, I'll watch it.

Pugger
01-14-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't want to see actual NFL teams in Europe. I wouldn't stop watching but it would be a huge pox on the NFL.

I'm with ya there!

We also don't need more teams or a longer season unless they increase the roster sizes.

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Pretty much this. As long as the Packers are around and the game remains a contact sport, I'll watch it.

My wife expects football to go the route of boxing. She might be right...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2e8zs-Pjtr9orltpZmqDKZDaJooTAnAyTqHyYyDT3bdXWM9cC

Cheesehead Craig
01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
My wife expects football to go the route of boxing. She might be right...https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2e8zs-Pjtr9orltpZmqDKZDaJooTAnAyTqHyYyDT3bdXWM9cC

Perhaps the players will dress up in those giant sumo suits. Now that's entertainment!

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
http://martial-arts-society.tripod.com/sumo/austin6.JPG

smuggler
01-14-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm with Red. I don't care about the NFL as much as I do the Packers.

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
With you here Red. The only reason I watch other games is because I live in Las Vegas and bet them. Take that away and I am only a Packer fan at this point. Take away us winning consistently.....

The OP in that link pointed out the commercial breaks. It makes non Packer games unbearable (when I'm watching football alone). Early in games you literally see this sequence. TD, commercial, XP, commercial, Kickoff, commercial. Between TD (actual game action) to team B taking the field (actual game action) you get from 6-9 minutes of commercial. They do this early to ensure they get the spots in while viewership is still high, but in the process I lose interest and change the channel.

I rarely watch games live anymore. Maybe sometimes Packer playoff games, to avoid people calling and leaving messages complaining after a loss (people don't call as much after a win).

The DVR is a godsend - I'll record a non-Packer game and just buzz through it in 10-20 minutes and can go back and check out any highlights.

But the above highlights what I think will end the game. Because people are avoiding commercials, I think they will have to advertise during the action more and more. Players will have to wear ads; already they throw graphics up that obscure the action. Once that gets out of control, I'm done.

Also, I agree that once it becomes electronic touch football (which I now see as inevitable) I am done. Hopefully I will be dead before that happens.

Guiness
01-14-2014, 01:06 PM
I rarely watch games live anymore. Maybe sometimes Packer playoff games, to avoid people calling and leaving messages complaining after a loss (people don't call as much after a win).

The DVR is a godsend - I'll record a non-Packer game and just buzz through it in 10-20 minutes and can go back and check out any highlights.

But the above highlights what I think will end the game. Because people are avoiding commercials, I think they will have to advertise during the action more and more. Players will have to wear ads; already they throw graphics up that obscure the action. Once that gets out of control, I'm done.

Also, I agree that once it becomes electronic touch football (which I now see as inevitable) I am done. Hopefully I will be dead before that happens.

I've been waiting for the backlash from DVRing games and skipping commercials for some time. There has been a bit in the form of product placement, stadium naming, etc, but I doubt the advertisers are as happy with little graphics or brief mentions as they are with 30 seconds clips dedicated to their product. Maybe they'll go the way of soccer where they go to a split screen and override the game audio while not leaving the game? Football doesn't seem to lend itself to that with the natural stoppages in play.

btw I miss my old Ultimate TV receiver. It had the perfect feature that I'm sure made ad execs scream - a 30 second skip-ahead button! Never saw that feature on any other unit.

Bossman641
01-14-2014, 01:34 PM
For me to not be a fan at all the Packers would have fold up or they would have to get rid of the salary cap.

Things that bother me or would bother me - the Packers playing a home game in Europe, moving a team to Europe, ads on jerseys, inconsistency of officiating, the reduced offseason schedule. The NFLPA has put such an emphasis on not overworking players that I think the quality of young players has suffered.

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
btw I miss my old Ultimate TV receiver. It had the perfect feature that I'm sure made ad execs scream - a 30 second skip-ahead button! Never saw that feature on any other unit.

I know on some free TV services, they prevent skipping. Perhaps they might do that with NFL/DVR games, but people tend to have ways of getting around all that.

MadScientist
01-14-2014, 01:55 PM
The worst thing in the football universe would be for the NFL to become the National Futbol League. Commercial breaks would not be so bad then, since the commercials are more exciting and entertaining.

Guiness
01-14-2014, 02:04 PM
I know on some free TV services, they prevent skipping. Perhaps they might do that with NFL/DVR games, but people tend to have ways of getting around all that.

I haven't seen much that does a good job of preventing skipping, just makes it inconvenient. As long as seeing something live is not important simply recording it and playing it back using something more friendly should get rid of just about anything that tries to prevent it. There are tools that let you capture live streams.

Zool
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
During the regular season, I'll occasionally watch a game that doesn't involve GB, but it's rare. During the playoffs I watch a lot more. The game is different in the playoffs.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 05:11 PM
My biggest by far beef is the incompetence of the Officials and in terms of just how often they really really SCREW up games. The officiating in the NFL redefines "DUMB and DUMBER". It's gotten to the point of being outrageous.

It's fricken scary. Scary how they can take the football away from the game.

Let the men play football and 'only' call the obvious. The Zebra's are certainly on track to ruining the game.

If there are worse officials in any Pro Sport I'd be surprized.

These "Sunday have to be a Zebra clowns" need to stick with Church and/or Family visits, picnics, barbecues and roast beef dinners.

The NFL isn't ever going to be the BEST and truly Professional until it employs FULL TIME Professional Officials.

Pay the BEST to do the BEST.

What the NFL uses now for officiating games is a rotten joke.

IT STINKS !!

How are the various Teams of Officials graded?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1884833-who-are-the-nfls-best-worst-refs

Who Are the NFL's Best, Worst Refs?

By: Chris Trapasso ... (Featured Columnist) on December 11

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 06:16 PM

I watch all non packer games on a 45 minute delay and usually catch up around the middle of the 4th quarter. I can't do it with the packers because I get so damn many texts and phone calls.