PDA

View Full Version : What ya think is next Packer News?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-14-2014, 10:04 AM
Sure is getting boring reading about past posters, teams still in the playoffs which I give a shit about, and whether WB is crazy or not. What do you think is the next Packer news?

1) Some coach gets canned?

2) Some player(s) gets canned?

3) Some player(s) gets paid in FA?

4) TT actually goes after a new FA?

5) Something else?

or is it time to turn off TV until draft?

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Slocum will get fired tomorrow.

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 10:08 AM
And then some players will be allowed to walk in FA with no attempt to re-sign. The Packers won't say anything, but it'll be obvious by their lack of action who they felt gave up this year.

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Ben McAdoo will take an OC position with another team.

smuggler
01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Did the Packers give McAdoo permission to interview for any OC jobs? He doesn't need permission to interview for HC jobs.

red
01-14-2014, 10:50 AM
Ben McAdoo will take an OC position with another team.

he's interviewing with the dolphins today

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/14/report-ben-mcadoo-interviewing-with-dolphins-on-tuesday/

Bossman641
01-14-2014, 11:02 AM
Did the Packers give McAdoo permission to interview for any OC jobs? He doesn't need permission to interview for HC jobs.

He's interviewing with the Giants for OC

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 11:04 AM
After McAdoo, it will be Raji visiting other teams, and looking very round and large. Show me whatcha got, whatcha got Raji!

red
01-14-2014, 11:09 AM
After McAdoo, it will be Raji visiting other teams, and looking very round and large. Show me whatcha got, whatcha got Raji!

yuck, nothing to do until march 11. then we'll just get to watch other teams sign our old guys

feb 17 is when teams can start to use the franchise tag. i could see the team using it on shields, if not raji to do a sign and trade. i think it would be awesome if we could somehow get a 2nd rounder for BJ

what we do know, if TT is at the shrine game for the whole week for the first time ever is that he's not hard at work trying to resign his own guys

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 11:11 AM
I think red said it. This time of year it's interesting to speculate on new players, new systems, etc. etc. But it all is academic. Stubby is named Stubby for a reason.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 11:40 AM
Well...pitchers and catchers report soon and since MLB officiating is black and white (even the strike zone is coming together with computer aided grades), that will hold me over until TC next year.

Smidgeon
01-14-2014, 11:41 AM

The Packers can't prevent him since he didn't renew his contract last year. In other words, he bet on himself and put himself in a position to move up.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 12:09 PM
yuck, nothing to do until march 11. then we'll just get to watch other teams sign our old guys

feb 17 is when teams can start to use the franchise tag. i could see the team using it on shields, if not raji to do a sign and trade. i think it would be awesome if we could somehow get a 2nd rounder for BJ

what we do know, if TT is at the shrine game for the whole week for the first time ever is that he's not hard at work trying to resign his own guys

He has a contract guy and a cell phone. I doubt he is out of touch. If they aren't talking, its for other reasons, not availability.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Well...pitchers and catchers report soon and since MLB officiating is black and white (even the strike zone is coming together with computer aided grades), that will hold me over until TC next year.

B&W compared to what, figure skating? :lol:

Get back to me when replay is available. Its the only sport besides tennis and volleyball that lends itself naturally to replay.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 12:17 PM
B&W compared to what, figure skating? :lol:

Get back to me when replay is available. Its the only sport besides tennis and volleyball that lends itself naturally to replay.

I agree they need to use replay more, but the calls are black and white. No one says...ack, that isn't pass interference, I can't believe you just flipped the field on one call. On replay, its black and white. Sometimes the umps miss a call, but there is NO debate. You simply don't have an umpire given the power to put a player from the plate to 3rd base on a subjective call, yet in football, a PI call can put a team from the 50 to the 1. A holding call can turn 1st and goal from the 5 into 2nd and 20 from the 40. Yet half the holding and PI calls are debatable. Just like I got sick of the NBA allowing superstars to use the offhand to screen a guy, or take extra steps, then calling the 7th man for the same thing, I am getting sick of seeing one OT hold a guy, and a different one getting called for less of a penalty.

This is why I was so fired up about the headbutt. Its a black and white call. Not calling it one way, but calling it the other was a joke. I burnt out on the NBA after hearing the announcers for the 1000th time explain that you have to put a few seasons in before you get that call.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
This is why I was so fired up about the headbutt. Its a black and white call. Not calling it one way, but calling it the other was a joke. I burnt out on the NBA after hearing the announcers for the 1000th time explain that you have to put a few seasons in before you get that call.

Outside of base runner interference I agree about clarity.

However, the head butt is cloudy because the League let it get that way. Lots of confrontations start that way and the initial contact, if not ridiculous , goes uncalled. Have seen it ignored more than called unless its in retaliation to something else.

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 12:50 PM
I burnt out on the NBA after hearing the announcers for the 1000th time explain that you have to put a few seasons in before you get that call.

100% agree.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 01:07 PM
" This is why I was so fired up about the headbutt. Its a black and white call. Not calling it one way, but calling it the other was a joke. I burnt out on the NBA after hearing the announcers for the 1000th time explain that you have to put a few seasons in before you get that call. " bobblehead

No kidding.

The difficult thing for fans who can see it so clearly with the replays is that all the same it's not universally enforced.

It comes off as a simple defined bias and 'in fact ' that's NOT the case.

The officials are merely human and therefore vulnerable to error.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Sure is getting boring reading about past posters, teams still in the playoffs which I give a shit about, and whether WB is crazy or not. What do you think is the next Packer news?

" whether WB is crazy or not ".

Is WB ... "Wild Bill" ?

James Butler Hickok (May 27, 1837 – August 2, 1876), better known as "Wild Bill" Hickok, a folk character of the American Old West !?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fc/Wild_Bill_Hickok_sepia.png/330px-Wild_Bill_Hickok_sepia.png

James Butler Hickok ... popularly known as "Wild Bill" Hickok.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Bill_Hickok

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/ec/Dead_man%27s_hand.jpg/450px-Dead_man%27s_hand.jpg

What's a man going to do when he's holding "the dead man's hand" and the hole card blind?

He should be thinking of "the life and DEATH of "Wild Bill" Hickok.

KYPack
01-14-2014, 01:35 PM
Hey, Old.

I hope we get a bolt out of the blue.

A new player, a coach, an idea, a scheme, whatever.

I'll take anything at this point.

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Hey, Old.

At some point the Packers will have to promote Edgar Bennett to OC or lose him (of course, if he's really good, he could get hired from receiver's coach), but eventually he will be gone. Although, when head coaches call plays, it always seems to diminish the stature of the OC. I see there seems to be absolutely no interest in current Packer OC, former QB coach whatshisname.

Losing coaches allows you to bring in new blood and fresh ideas, assuming the current staff listens to anyone else.

pbmax
01-14-2014, 02:40 PM
100% agree.

I gave up on basketball rules after I could not determine what exactly charging/blocking was. I know its changed again.

I grew angry at basketball after the "principal of verticality" somehow came into the discussion. I then decided to ignore the calls.

Its much more fun to watch now. Seriously though, the home advantage and differences between crews are such obvious indicators of poor performance, its hard to take Stern seriously on it.

red
01-14-2014, 02:46 PM
At some point the Packers will have to promote Edgar Bennett to OC or lose him (of course, if he's really good, he could get hired from receiver's coach), but eventually he will be gone. Although, when head coaches call plays, it always seems to diminish the stature of the OC. I see there seems to be absolutely no interest in current Packer OC, former QB coach whatshisname.

Losing coaches allows you to bring in new blood and fresh ideas, assuming the current staff listens to anyone else.

there is absolutely no interest at all for any of our coaches except for mcadoo

whats that say about our staff that no one else wants any of them?

if we have a HC who is so nutless that he can't fire anyone, then we need other suckers (teams) to come in and grab our shit so we can move on

pbmax
01-14-2014, 02:49 PM
there is absolutely no interest at all for any of our coaches except for mcadoo

whats that say about our staff that no one else wants any of them?

That the team went 8-8-1. When they were 15-1, McCarthy had to deny permission for Clements and McAdoo.

Trgo has also said he wanted to give up being DC to have a semi-normal home life with his kids. Not sure if that has impacted his prospects.

Pugger
01-14-2014, 02:54 PM
Lacy wins AP OROY.

Smidgeon
01-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Hey, Old.

Horton's apparently free to interview anywhere....

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 03:32 PM
** It sure appears likely that the Packers will lose QB's Coach Ben McAdoo. Alex Van Pelt - Running Backs Coach is, if Ben McAdoo does go elsewhere, rumored to move to the QB's coach slot.

Therefore the Green Bay Packer will be lining up a new RB's Coach.

** Will HC Mike McCarthy break up his Happy Little Family? That's a wait and see and Mike's a stubborn man and (other negatives). I wouldn't be in the least surprized if he goes Coaching Staff and Carte Blanche.

Any change in direction there will 'only' come if Ted Thompson convinces Mike McCarthy of the obvious need for a change. See again Mike McCarthy and stubborn (thickly so).

** I predict more say nothing rhetoric from Mike McCarthy. He doesn't mean to piss Packer Nation off. That's merely inevitable. He's learned to be Ted Thompson to an extreme.

Rope him in Ted ! The 2014 season is in serious jeopardy unless you do.

** I certainly predict more flat out ridiculous statements from a man that's obviously "strees challenged":

" Statistics is for losers." Mike McCarthy

That quote will haunt MM for a long time, I expect. I'm analytical and mathematical by nature and I'll never forget that gaffe by him.

I'm guessing if your going to cross over to silly; you might make a real show of that. Except that it gets something like this for anyone with half a brain.

Hey then Mike .... "Your a loser" for ignoring STAT's...or reality based facts, for reality based analysis for pro active and dynamic change. That implemented, will better ensure an accurate projection for winning results and future value added success.

Mike McCarthy please. PLEASE Man...give that thickhead of yours a shake. Stubbornness and stupidity born of stubbornness usually results in FAILURE and certainly diminished results.

Right there I think of Forrest Gump and his famous quote:

Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

** Any time now we should see Ted Thompson and Russ Ball ...yawn and stretch and fart and yawn again and "just maybe" sign an impending FA roster player.

Right there I think of what Mrs. Gump said to Forrest:

You have to do the best with what God gave you. Forrest Gump's Mom

Many here believe that player will be Sam Shields. Some might believe it'll be James Jones but the real issue with the team is on defense and Ted preferring besides his STARS (some definite delusion there) "the cheap".

Based on his age (26 Yrs ) I look to see TT resign Hybride DE/OLB experiment Mike Neal. He had a pretty solid trial 2013 season in terms of performance.

Mike Neal 'Ohh Dear', STAT's :

*** http://www.nfl.com/player/mikeneal/496833/profile

Ted Thompson inks this fella if he loves Green Bay and TT's and Contract Negotiator Russ Balls offer. I hope that Mike Neal LOVES Green Bay. I hope that Ted Thompson ( Russ Ball) make him an offer or goes to plan 'B'... see below... and a stud like Brian Orakpo. That'll cost appreciably more.

** I predict that Ted Thompson again demonstrates his extremely frustrating penchant to procrastinate. I predict that causes the normally critical Wisconsin media and sports writers to freak out. Go off and bad on Ted Thompson.

We'll read headlines like: Ted Thompson is too arrogant to really give a damn.

Shocking.

ie Just an EXAMPLE. Does TT love ED-S?

Ted Thompson has "in his mind... lots of time to inform us". It's his nature to make players sweat and not have a clue where they stand and Green Bay Packers. That bugs this Packer fan. Imagine how very much that has to bug the Packer players !?

That shit gets around the NFL and is a deterrent to decent NFL experienced players, desiring a future career switch to Green Bay. Ted Thompson doesn't seem to care that that piss's players off to no end and after this past season rift with frustration. I'd advise Ted Thompson to get his thump out of his ass and get at errrr.

If I could actually do so. Would Ted Thompson see this as common sense?

See arrogance and procrastination and stubbornness. See STAGNATION.

PLEASE SEE PART TWO OF THIS POST...in Post #30 Thanks. :cool:

GO PACK GO !

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 03:45 PM
CRAZY has seldom entered my Family's Gene Pool. All evidence to the contrary. WTF was that? ^^^^^

Striker
01-14-2014, 03:50 PM
I'd go with the next bit of news being an assistant coach leaving here.

Second guess would be a free agent signing a few weeks into FA.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Thinks I would predict that might happen in the Packers near future:

PART TWO: Part ONE is on post #27

** Eventually after Ted Thompson takes stock or who he retains among FA"a and prepares for Free Agency he might think of adding an impact player early in FA like he once had in CB Charles Woodson. I'll add NT/DT Ryan Pickett as he's been pretty solid and reliable. Pickett is the anti-BJ Raji. If TT signs BJ Raji he's making a huge error.

Ted Thompson has to find an experienced safety and a player ( couple of players ie ALSO at LB; DT;TE ); that can make a difference in that position, and doesn't have to break the bank. TT has to try harder to get talent at a reasonable price. He needs to STOP bringing in zero's at a cheap price. He needs to have his homework done there two months ago. Therefore no need to procrastinate. He's certainly, if paying any real attention, well aware of the secondary as being a definite weakness and contributing much towards "the Packers terrible 25th NFL Ranking".

TT needs a Safety "again this Off Season" and more (ie @ LBer) as his signing of Brad Jones in the middle at Linebacker didn't work out. He needs @ TE as the status of TE Jermichael Finley is so up in the air.

One name that's popping up and right for Green Bay Packers is Brian Orakpo.

http://www.nfl.com/player/brianorakpo/71423/profile

http://overthecap.com/contract-year-...-brian-orakpo/

That says that his projected cost might sour TT but TT needs to keep an eye on his FA status. Teams may look at his injury history and get scared off and TT might get him at a value price.

I'll take this to the side (more on OLB Brian Orakpo below):

That same approach to Free Agency is the way I hope TT will act/participate in this Off Season. Not simply ignore all of the real activity period or **** not take a look in, until little real value remains.

**** See Ted Thompson and procrastination, stubbornness, arrogance and his model of DRAFT and DEVELOP that's about to blow up in his face.

In order for TT's model to work he had to be near perfect in his draft results. Ted Thompson has certainly picked an abundance of BUSTS since he became Packers GM. His next BUSTS are on the roster right now. His prospects class have to be available to participate in the Packers development Program NOT injured. It's this year to year and again injury status of his high picks that are excused because of injury status but all the same translate too BUST STATUS !

Am I feeling sorry about the TRUTH. NOPE. I simply need to see a compensation Program kick in this Off Season.

Three seasons of down results is enough. It's over and it's worn out TIRED.

Ted Thompson do what ever please .... to kick it back UP !

Orakpo was ranked 20th in the league with 10 sacks this year. Thatsa nice.

He's been consistent with a total of 39.5 sacks in five seasons. Ted Thompson’s philosophy of draft and develop is wonderful in theory and for protecting /serving the CAP but adding a couple of solid "experience" players at the right price is a lot like backing up a bet. Sometimes like "right now" it simply makes common sense.

There's just so much to wish for that really positive.

In reality, do I expect much return on my views of things Packers.

LOL... I don't often kid myself. :-| If I did I might accuse myself of being CRAZY. I'm far from CRAZY. I'm simply results based. CRAZY has seldom entered my Family's Gene Pool. It sure as hell wasn't introduced by my careful approach to any need in living.

I'm a straight up assertive and a meditative cautious man. I'm a thinker. There's no sense in having brains if you misuse them. Thinking is a good thing. That trumps over emotions. Thinking for the best way trumps IQ.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 04:11 PM
Lacy wins AP OROY.

Not if you neglect voting for about a 10 minute period each day and everyone else here does the same or more Pugger.

I challenge you to get busy every day and vote 50 times or more.

THANKS. :-)