PDA

View Full Version : Stanford S & C - is that Harbaugh's real secret?

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 10:51 AM
This is a fantastic read on modern sports conditioning. It gets around to some ideas that I feel the Packers may fundamentally be lacking in their program -- more focus on flexibility, functionality, and body balance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/sports/ncaafootball/stanfords-distinct-training-regimen-redefines-strength.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&emc=eta1

I really wonder if Harbs took a lot of these ideas with him to San Fransisco's training program. They have constantly been one of the least injured teams. Likewise, I wonder if coaches who come up lately from college ranks (Carroll and Kelley included) now are bringing more cross-functional approaches to their S & C programs.

red
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
well, whatever we've been doing isn't working for shit, so we need to do something different

that being said, i have no faith in M3 ever changing anything. if he would ever change anything we wouldn't be stuck with the worst ST coach in the nfl year in and year out

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Get 'em in the Yoga classes, and taper off the HGH a bit.

http://www.naplesyoganews.com/images/men-yoga.jpg

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Yeah, the article mentions yoga. Our rec center has a 75 minute "power yoga" class. That shit is hard. I get pretty wobbly by the end.

mraynrand
01-14-2014, 11:03 AM
The skeptic will point to that they still lost to MI State, despite all the pleiades they did.

red
01-14-2014, 11:04 AM

it sounds stupid and seems like a pussy thing to do, but yoga really would help a lot of these guys out

should help cut down on all the pulled muscles

Maxie the Taxi
01-14-2014, 11:06 AM
You're right. Great read, Denver. "basically old-school, military calisthenics" I like that.

A while back we had a discussion here about stretching...that part of the article was informative. The Packers should hire this guy, Turley. Whatever it costs will be more than made up for with improved time of play and performance on the field.

denverYooper
01-14-2014, 11:18 AM
Mike Neal should be exhibit A when it comes to players who get injured because they're imbalanced. Moving him to OLB might have saved his career. I know he played most of the year with an abdominal injury. Watch him drop 10 more pounds and go on to be a great OLB.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 11:42 AM
Yeah, the article mentions yoga. Our rec center has a 75 minute "power yoga" class. That shit is hard. I get pretty wobbly by the end.

I feel silly. I always assumed you were a male poster :) J/K, my wife does that and it crushes me. I am not man enough to do it.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Mike Neal should be exhibit A when it comes to players who get injured because they're imbalanced. Moving him to OLB might have saved his career. I know he played most of the year with an abdominal injury. Watch him drop 10 more pounds and go on to be a great OLB.

Your keyboard to God's ears.

red
01-14-2014, 12:01 PM

actually, i know for a fact that neal used some of those cross training type of excersizes, he wasn't all weight room

pbmax
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Redman was one of the first S&C guys to move into functional strength by position rather than simply weightlifting.

That was 30 years ago. He trained the Packer guys after McCarthy dumped Rock Cartwright, but left after a couple of years. I have no idea how current Redman was, but other ideas have been out there for a while. Philly has an entire dept working on nutrition and training science in addition to S&C.

KYPack
01-14-2014, 01:32 PM
"real-world applicable man strength"

Good buzz word.

Rock Gullickson was the S&C coach fired in the 2009 coaching purge. He was all ate up on weight lifting.

Supposedly, Justin Harrell's back injury was sustained in the weight room.

Dave Redding was brought in to get the players in football shape with combinations of trining.

The stuff in the article is more new wave than Redman's meat and potatoes "get strong" ideas

Thx for the link, Yoop.

Zool
01-14-2014, 02:51 PM
it sounds stupid and seems like a pussy thing to do, but yoga really would help a lot of these guys out

should help cut down on all the pulled muscles

P90 yoga is fucking hard. After trying it out, I'll never think doing yoga was a pussy thing to do ever again.

red
01-14-2014, 04:21 PM
P90 yoga is fucking hard. After trying it out, I'll never think doing yoga was a pussy thing to do ever again.

i know a girl that use to do that, she couldn't walk the first 2 weeks because it kicked her ass so bad. and she was an in shape girl to begin with

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 06:24 PM

My wife does that and the Insanity Shawn T workout. I can get through the insanity workout on willpower, but the yoga is not my thing. I cry like a bitch.