PDA

View Full Version : Now, who do you WANT the packers to sign in FA

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I know everyone here will choose a safety, but I am going a different route.

Brian Orakpo. I want to get after other teams QB's.

It will never happen, TT would rather bring back Neal and count on him or Perry to breakout, but its what I WANT to happen. I want to knock some QB's out of the game like Clay did in 2010.

red
01-14-2014, 11:58 AM
i don't know, sure it would be nice, but signing him and resigning a couple of our own would completely eat up the cap. i'm guessing orakpo gets a clay type of deal

i would rather see us grab a couple guys in the 4 million a year range

although orakpo is awesome

pbmax
01-14-2014, 12:12 PM

It will never happen, TT would rather bring back Neal and count on him or Perry to breakout, but its what I WANT to happen. I want to knock some QB's out of the game like Clay did in 2010.

I think pass rush is more important than a safety, I agree with you. But if its down to the draft, it will be a safety.

There are no pass rush guarantees at 21 at DT.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 12:18 PM
I also think if you get to the QB better Richardson becomes a viable #2 safety....now we need a #1 safety.

Guiness
01-14-2014, 12:57 PM
I think pass rush is more important than a safety, I agree with you. But if its down to the draft, it will be a safety.

There are no pass rush guarantees at 21 at DT.

lol, indeed no.

I'm not convinced Bak is a long term solution (not big and aggressive enough? lol) and don't feel Bulaga or Sherrod can be counted on. Bulaga coming off a lost season, and I'd feel better about Sherrod if they'd brought him into the SF game instead of Newhouse when Bak went down. I'd like something more at LT and despite a mediocre season Branden Albert is a UFA and seems like the best thing out there. He's going to want about $8mil per on a multi year deal though.

Bossman641
01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
I haven't bothered looking at the available free agents so I have no specific names to throw out, but if we partake I'd prefer to pick up 2-3 younger lesser-known guys (DL, S, maybe LB) over 1 big name guy.

run pMc
01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
I haven't bothered looking at the available free agents so I have no specific names to throw out, but if we partake I'd prefer to pick up 2-3 younger lesser-known guys (DL, S, maybe LB) over 1 big name guy.

Ditto.

I could see them sign a fatty DL and maybe a veteran safety to mentor Burnett a little. No idea who's available, at LB or otherwise.
At this point I feel like they need to blow up the ILBs. Hawk and Jones are kinda average; am starting to think they need a thumper at one spot and a rangy pass coverage guy at the other. Am not convinced they have either on the roster currently.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 04:20 PM

I just posted RE: This fella.

He's likely taken early except maybe for some hesitation and his injury history.

He's going to cost TT about $ 9-11 Million$ per year for say 4 years...if he gets into early bidding.

Will TT spring that much money for a fella with his injury history?

If I know TT he'll at best watch Brian Orakpo's FA status to see if he can be had below projected market value.

Such is the nature (TT) and forecast of a prediction.

NewsBruin
01-14-2014, 06:11 PM
Not sold on Orakpo. He had the rep out of UT for being an unstoppable workout muscle freak destroyer (he was one of the first to lift with big heavy chains). He exploded in his first few seasons with the Skins, but has been trying to piece together a decent non-injured season since. I have no knowledge or rumor, but I'm just not convinced that his body can handle what he's putting in it and doing to it. I don't think he'll last the length of his next contract.

Joemailman
01-14-2014, 06:22 PM
T.J. Ward - He reportedly wasn't happy about the firing of Chudzinski, and might be interested in getting out of Cleveland and going to a team that annually makes the playoffs.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-14-2014, 06:23 PM
A veteran fatty, cause I gots the feeling Raji is gone.

red
01-14-2014, 06:32 PM
T.J. Ward - He reportedly wasn't happy about the firing of Chudzinski, and might be interested in getting out of Cleveland and going to a team that annually makes the playoffs.

looks like he might be looking at somewhere around 7 million a year

a lot of money, but not horrible by any means

recent safeties who got big contracts are guys like eric berry and eric weddle, their deals were around 8 million a year

guys like laron landry signed for around 6 million a year

a couple of young up and comers that recently signed are kam chancellor and rashad jones signed for about 7 mil a year

Bretsky
01-14-2014, 07:54 PM
I also think if you get to the QB better Richardson becomes a viable #2 safety....now we need a #1 safety.

I think we have a very viable #2 safety; I think Richardson is a viable last DB on the team

I would love Orakpo; great call on him...albeit a pipe dream

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 08:37 PM
A veteran fatty, cause I gots the feeling Raji is gone.

Then you should like my prediction in your thread, Randy Starks.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 09:52 PM

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents-top-50-list/

TOP 50 FA's.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents-list-51-100/

Top 51-100 FA's.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents/

ALL FA's By Position.

GO PACK GO !

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-14-2014, 10:22 PM
Who would I WANT to sign? Easy Jimmy Graham... somewhere around 5 year 50mil. Rodgers, Graham, Nelson, Cobb, Lacey, Bulaga, Sitton, Bahk, etc. Instantly becomes the most complete offense in the league. Could just focus on defense again in the draft.

No way this happens as the saints will at the very least tag him, but he is easily the best player in free agency if they were dumb enough to let him walk.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 10:30 PM
Who would I WANT to sign? Easy Jimmy Graham... somewhere around 5 year 50mil. Rodgers, Graham, Nelson, Cobb, Lacey, Bulaga, Sitton, Bahk, etc. Instantly becomes the most complete offense in the league. Could just focus on defense again in the draft.

No way this happens as the saints will at the very least tag him, but he is easily the best player in free agency if they were dumb enough to let him walk.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaDlJtmWTw7XAMJMtiwfqSRQ-8aHGYS0Df4GyseDifAS-mR0yW

This TE is Super ............. man.

The Saints are in difficulty with their CAP but would be foolish not to resign him.

It might have to be a promise of a FT and more later.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-14-2014, 10:39 PM
Underrated free agent not many people are talking about is Alex Mack. Talking about an all pro center here. Would be big to add him to the oline.

bobblehead
01-14-2014, 10:45 PM

Jimmy Graham is a slow WR. The last time he blocked anything, it was a telemarketer.

red
01-14-2014, 11:15 PM
Underrated free agent not many people are talking about is Alex Mack. Talking about an all pro center here. Would be big to add him to the oline.

hmm, gonna cost 7 or 8 million a year

thats a lot of cap tied up in a center

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 12:03 AM

CRAP.

No wonder BJ Raji reneged on $8 Million$ per year....for whatever number of years.

Looks like you could wheel out a barrel of jello and the GM's might sign it up for $8-10 Million$ per.

smuggler
01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Someone is going to give Raji 6 yrs 72 mil and I pray it isnt Ted.

HarveyWallbangers
01-15-2014, 02:21 AM

Indeed. He's the clear cut #1 FA OC. He'll get big money. I've seen EDS #2 on most lists, so there will be high demand for Mack.

bobblehead
01-15-2014, 06:25 AM
CRAP.

No wonder BJ Raji reneged on $8 Million$ per year....for whatever number of years.

Looks like you could wheel out a barrel of jello and the GM's might sign it up for $8-10 Million$ per.

Yes, the ones who draft for shit, and are trying to justify their job.

Bossman641
01-15-2014, 07:50 AM
There's an article on ESPN Insider listing the top 25 UFA's. I don't want to post the entire article but the top 5 listed are Graham, Greg Hardy (would love him), Mack, Orakpo, and Albert. Some of the lower guys who would be interesting - Arthur Jones, Jason Worilds.

Raji is 11 and Shields 15 BTW.

bobblehead
01-15-2014, 07:53 AM
I like Jimmy Graham. Man is a stud WR. Any team signing him expecting him to play TE is wasting money.

pbmax
01-15-2014, 08:41 AM
Jimmy Graham is a slow WR. The last time he blocked anything, it was a telemarketer.

Nicely done, he was a little peeved at the Seahawks all game plus the pre game scuffle.

If DBs are allowed to clutch and hold more, do small quick receivers become vogue again outside the slot?

pbmax
01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

Indeed. He's the clear cut #1 FA OC. He'll get big money. I've seen EDS #2 on most lists, so there will be high demand for Mack.

This is where coordination with your coach can help. If the Packers want to continue to run ZBS and power run schemes, then money might need to be spent here. If they want mainly power OR ZBS, then a less complete Center will work.

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Graham no likey when d-backs press him at the LOS

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:20 AM
Someone is going to give Raji 6 yrs 72 mil and I pray it isnt Ted.

+1 Someone is gonna pay that guy, and just let him run upfield every play. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a 10 sack season next year.

red
01-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes, the ones who draft for shit, and are trying to justify their job.

and yet its our GM that offered him that 8 million a year which might be a lot more then anyone else is willing to offer him

Pugger
01-15-2014, 10:24 AM

I'd be very surprised if Cleveland lets Ward leave but we do need to get a vet safety back there in 2014. However, I don't know what safeties will be available in FA this offseason.

MadScientist
01-15-2014, 11:42 AM
From the lists Woody posted, there are a number of safeties, so maybe one can be had for fair money.

Donte Whitner (SF) and Mike Mitchell (Car) look good and would weaken conference rivals. Don't know what it will take to sign them, but there are number of safeties listed ahead of them, so just maybe there's a chance.

red
01-15-2014, 01:59 PM
I'd be very surprised if Cleveland lets Ward leave but we do need to get a vet safety back there in 2014. However, I don't know what safeties will be available in FA this offseason.

a list from this site

http://nfltraderumors.co/2014-nfl-free-agents/

Yeremiah Bell ARI
Jeromy Miles BAL
James Ihedigbo BAL
Anthony Levine BAL R
Jairus Byrd BUF F
Jim Leonhard BUF
Quintin Mikell CAR
Mike Mitchell CAR
Major Wright CHI
Anthony Walters CHI R
Craig Steltz CHI
Taylor Mays CIN
T.J. Ward CLE
Danny McCray DAL
Mike Adams DEN
John Wendling DET
MD Jennings GB R
Antoine Bethea IND
Sergio Brown IND
Quintin Demps KC
Husain Abdullah KC
Kendrick Lewis KC
Chris Clemons MIA
Rafael Bush NO R
Isa Abdul Quddus NO R
Stevie Brown NYG
Ryan Mundy NYG
Charles Woodson OAK
Nate Allen PHI
Colt Anderson PHI
Kurt Coleman PHI
Ryan Clark PIT
Will Allen PIT
Darrell Stuckey SD
Chris Maragos SEA
Jeron Johnson SEA R
Donte Whitner SF
Darian Stewart STL
Matt Giordano STL
Bernard Pollard TEN
Corey Lynch TEN
Brandon Meriweather WAS
Reed Doughty WAS
Jose Gumbs WAS

red
01-15-2014, 02:09 PM
heres another site with a list of available safeties, including what their last contract looked like

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=S&Year=2014

Striker
01-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Arthur Jones or Lamaar Houston would be intriguing players to shore up the defensive line.

run pMc
01-16-2014, 11:34 AM
heres another site with a list of available safeties, including what their last contract looked like

http://overthecap.com/freeagents.php?Position=S&Year=2014

Not great pickings...maybe they make a play for Jeron Johnson. He was put on IR with a hamstring so he'd fit right in:
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=76834&draftyear=2011&genpos=SS
12/11/13 - SS Jeron Johnson was placed on injured reserve after pulling his hamstring on Sunday, capping a season in which he has suffered two other hamstring injuries

gbgary
01-16-2014, 01:39 PM
the best safety...and then draft the best te available with their first pick (unless there's a college safety better than anything in fa).

red
01-16-2014, 02:00 PM
the best safety...and then draft the best te available with their first pick (unless there's a college safety better than anything in fa).

the big difference between signing the best safety or drafting the best safety is gonna be about 8 or 9 million a year

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-16-2014, 05:44 PM
The big question is whats going to happen with Finley. If Finley keeps playing and re-signs for a fair contract then in all honesty they could go defense heavy in the draft again. Sprinkling in a couple olinemen and wr's along the way. TE becomes a major need if Finley is truly done. I like Quarless, but not as the permanent starter. Either way the most logical target should be a player like TJ Ward. If you can sign Ward and draft Mosley in round one I look for a quick turn around next year (assuming you keep Shields even with losing Raji).

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 06:56 PM
http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/

Potential 2014 Salary Cap Cuts

comment woodbuck27 and please Note :

A list of players who could be in danger of being cut next year, and what the estimated cap savings will be and some thoughts on each player. If you click on the column header you can sort by name, team or position to navigate the chart a bit easier.

So if you see a player that you feel the Packers might be interested in. Check out the chart on the LINK and see if there's any note RE: your guy and what his last teams CAP hit was for the team he played for before before becoming a FA.

ie Checking under the team name Packers:

You'll fin 'only' one roster player mentioned:

AJ Hawk and you'll see this:

CAP Saving = $1.9 Million$ and this NOTE:

"Packers usually limit dead money on books but *** have to realize Hawk is ineffective*** and its time to cut bait" For all AJ Hawk Fans on Packerrats ... I'm not the author of this... :lol:

Immediately I see *** this and I connect that to the fact I know that AJ Hawk is the Packers leading tackler. Then I think OK our defense is really bad.

As a LBer in our 3-4 Base 'D', it's not a surprize that AJ Hawk is the Packers leading tackler.

The author responsible for this LINK isn't impressed with AJ Hawk.

More.... I need more .....why!?

I'd next wonder where he's ranked at his ILB position on a reputable site? ie Pro Football Focus (Do we need a subscription?) or is there some other as or more useful site to use for my evaluation of AJ Hawk?

I need to be convinced that he clearly SUCKS or is close to sucking.. . before I can assess AJ Hawk's value to the Green Bay Packers in my mind and as a Packer fan.

How I should treat the knowledge here in this LINK above in terms of usefulness @ feedback to Packerrats.

I'm just one of those LOSERS that bases my evaluations, any decisions for a good part...if not greatest part... based on staistics. Again I try to avoid the subjective and decision making.

ie I like DT/NT Ryan Pickett and DE Johnny Jolly but it's got to be "a so what and a decision to retain either man" based on objective analysis.
I do so as I want to be objective not subjective.

Feedback Please.

I'm merely demonstrating the use of and not the effectiveness of this tool. I havn't evaluated it to any extent at this time.

Maybe? have a look at it as you find time. Follow-up by give Packerrats some feedback RE: Your findings.

ie ...Is it useful ... a bag of lies or ... or worse.

Thank You.

red
01-16-2014, 07:03 PM
http://overthecap.com/potential-2014-salary-cap-cuts/

Potential 2014 Salary Cap Cuts

comment woodbuck27 and please Note :

A list of players who could be in danger of being cut next year, and what the estimated cap savings will be and some thoughts on each player. If you click on the column header you can sort by name, team or position to navigate the chart a bit easier.

So if you see a player that you feel the Packers might be interested in. Check out the chart on the LINK and see if there's any note RE: your guy and what his last teams CAP hit was for the team he played for before before becoming a FA.

i like how they list hawk as a possible cut because he's ineffective and the team could save 1.9 million

however, there is no mention of cutting the somehow even worse brad jones and saving 2 million

Joemailman
01-16-2014, 07:12 PM
i like how they list hawk as a possible cut because he's ineffective and the team could save 1.9 million

however, there is no mention of cutting the somehow ever worse brad jones and saving 2 million

They probably don't know who Brad Jones is.

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 07:44 PM

however, there is no mention of cutting the somehow even worse brad jones and saving 2 million

Good point red.

See This:

http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/gb/

RE: AJ HAWK.. 3/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $33.75 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus, first-year $1.8 million roster bonus, and a third-year roster bonus of $2.21 million. Annual $250,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through five. *** 2014-2015: $2.45 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus),

2016: Free Agent

*** NOT $1.9 M$ CAP Savings so is that extra a part of Hawks original $8 million signing bonus?

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 08:39 PM
They probably don't know who Brad Jones is.

Jones is a popular name.

bobblehead
01-16-2014, 09:32 PM
No point cutting Hawk at his current salary. He is still starter material, just not the thumper we need.

bobblehead
01-16-2014, 09:34 PM
and yet its our GM that offered him that 8 million a year which might be a lot more then anyone else is willing to offer him

Yea, I am surprised that he was offered that much, but I think the fact that he played ironman snaps previous years wore him down...and made TT overvalue him a bit.

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 10:18 PM
No point cutting Hawk at his current salary. He is still starter material, just not the thumper we need.

He's a vet and our leading tackler. He has a sexy name.

Isn't all of that worth $2 Million$ next season.

Besides with such as we see our middle and LBer (see leading tackler AJ Hawk)

We had better hang onto him until someone else anyone else really steps up.

Besides he really has a ** SEXY ( ** pronounced with clear emphasis ) name.

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 11:55 PM

http://overthecap.com/best-worst-contracts-the-green-bay-packers/

Best & Worst Contracts: The Green Bay Packers

BEST: JORDY NELSON

WORST: AJ HAWK

Bretsky
01-17-2014, 06:25 AM

I'm fine keeping Hawk; we need some stability and he plays every game. He's fine as your worst starting LB.

The problem is he might be our second best starting LB

Jones is Junk; hes a fraud and was from day one

TT was a sucker on that deal and it needs to end

Fritz
01-17-2014, 06:29 AM
Dump B Jones and draft a couple inside linebackers, preferably one higher than the sixth round, and let them compete with Lattimore, Francois, and Barrington next year.

red
01-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Dump B Jones and draft a couple inside linebackers, preferably one higher than the sixth round, and let them compete with Lattimore, Francois, and Barrington next year.

works for me

Fritz
01-17-2014, 06:12 PM
works for me

It's very easy to put words like "dump" and "inside linebackers" in the same sentence. As in "they played like a stinking dump this year."

denverYooper
01-17-2014, 08:02 PM
It's very easy to put words like "dump" and "inside linebackers" in the same sentence. As in "they played like a stinking dump this year."

When was Najeh Davenport moved to ILB?