PDA

View Full Version : McAdoo Hired as Giants Offensive Coordinator

Striker
01-14-2014, 05:57 PM
One of the hottest names in NFL coaching circles has found his new home: The Giants have hired Ben McAdoo as their new offensive coordinator.

McAdoo, who has been an assistant with the Packers since 2006, agreed to become the Giants’ offensive coordinator today. Alex Marvez of FOX Sports first reported the news, which has since been announced by the Giants.

The Dolphins were also interested in McAdoo as their offensive coordinator, and he had been mentioned as a head-coaching candidate in Cleveland as well.

The 36-year-old McAdoo is a protege of Packers coach Mike McCarthy, working as a quality control assistant under McCarthy in San Francisco in 2005, when McCarthy was the 49ers’ offensive coordinator, and then following McCarthy to Green Bay when McCarthy became the Packers’ head coach in 2006. McAdoo was the Packers’ tight ends coach from 2006 to 2011, and has been the Packers’ quarterbacks coach the last two years.

Now McAdoo takes on the task of turning around a Giants offense that struggled mightily in 2013.

Didn't really see that coming. Figured he'd go to Philbin and the 'Phins.

Joemailman
01-14-2014, 06:01 PM
Slocum for QB coach.

Bretsky
01-14-2014, 08:01 PM
Slocum for QB coach.

Slocum for Waterboy !!!!

Serously..............MM needs to pull his head out his asshole and smell the roses with Slocum

What the hell is taking so long ????????????????????

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
Slocum for Waterboy !!!!

Serously..............MM needs to pull his head out his asshole and smell the roses with Slocum

What the hell is taking so long ????????????????????

One last love in.

woodbuck27
01-14-2014, 08:27 PM
Didn't really see that coming. Figured he'd go to Philbin and the 'Phins.

Joe Philbin and HELL.

Have to work with Ryan Tannehill ... YIKES!

What would he really have been hired for in Miami?

a) OC or B) QB's Coach or C) both

Miami was for Ben McAdoo as I'm seeing it. A recipe for disaster.

Seriously!? Who would you rather work with?

Miami Dolphins ' 52 year old ' HC Joe Philbin or NY Giants ' 67 year old ' HC Tom Coughlin?

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 09:15 AM
Crazy. McAdoo with Eli will be an interesting combination to watch next year.

pbmax
01-15-2014, 09:34 AM
Crazy. McAdoo with Eli will be an interesting combination to watch next year.

Coughlin said they were going to accept the new system and merge a few things. They might even let the longtime TE coach go, probably to let McAdoo bring in someone who can teach his routes to the Giants. He also will be the play caller.

Going to be a lot of pressure on Ben.

red
01-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Coughlin said they were going to accept the new system and merge a few things. They might even let the longtime TE coach go, probably to let McAdoo bring in someone who can teach his routes to the Giants. He also will be the play caller.

please tell me that slocum has a TE coaching back ground and is good friends with mcadoo?

pbmax
01-15-2014, 09:40 AM
please tell me that slocum has a TE coaching back ground and is good friends with mcadoo?

I don't think Mike lets Shawn into the important rooms during meetings, so my guess is no.

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:53 AM

I don't recall Packer TEs actually running routes

red
01-15-2014, 10:01 AM
I don't recall Packer TEs actually running routes

well sure they do, its the same route all our wr's run on every single play

i think its called a "go" route

pbmax
01-15-2014, 10:11 AM
Giants also dumping the running backs coach. That's one theory out the window.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/15/giants-parting-ways-with-running-backs-coach-jerald-ingram-as-well/

Pugger
01-15-2014, 10:13 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why McAdoo was in such demand. What exactly did he do in GB that is remarkable?

red
01-15-2014, 10:14 AM
I'm still trying to figure out why McAdoo was in such demand. What exactly did he do in GB that is remarkable?

rode a-rods coat tails?

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 10:57 AM

Worked his way up in M3's system. Recognize.

Rutnstrut
01-15-2014, 11:24 AM

So he learned about pad level and scheme, and to abandon the running game when it's working and pass, pass, pass.

pbmax
01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
So he learned about pad level and scheme, and to abandon the running game when it's working and pass, pass, pass.

That's a funny way to put 12th in running attempts (16th in passing attempts) but sure, OK.

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 11:59 AM

Working with Tom Coughlin has to be an awesome experience. I would merely see the challenge for me if I was Bob McAdoo.

Tom Coughlin is certainly one of the best at what he does. His team always try's no matter how successful the season is going and "a proof such respect" for Coach Coughlin.

Bob McAdoo might well turn to Tom Coughlin and humbly ask for his mentorship. Bob McAdoo knows something about winning. Tom Coughlin can take him to a higher state of understanding in that regard.

Bob MacAdoo should "jump right in" and learn all he can from New York Giants HC Tom Coughlin (67 Years of age).

Most naturally "of course" see himself as a potential "front running heir apparent" for the prestigious New York GIANTS Head Coaching position.

Bob McAdoo has put himself in a good place.

That's the kind of pressure, that I would assume that Bob McAdoo is challenged with. Is ready for and would sincerely accept/embrace with every aspiration of hope for a true reward.

PACKERS !

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 12:01 PM

Yes he learned to NOT go there. :whist:

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 12:02 PM
I don't think Mike lets Shawn into the important rooms during meetings, so my guess is no.

I'm in :shock:

Smeefers
01-15-2014, 12:23 PM
I don't think McAddo's at the point in his career where he's looking for mentorship any longer. He's part of leadership now, he's the one who's going to do the mentoring to position coaches.

As for what he's learned... well, he's been part of one of the most consistent, high powered offenses in the league. We don't like to think of injuries as an excuse and we have next man up beaten into our skulls, but look around the league. 15+ IR players isn't the norm for most teams. He's been part of dealing with constantly loosing exceptional talent and still finding ways to make things work. I know there's a lot of people here who think MM is just a run of the mill coach, but that's not what a lot of the league thinks. If I recall, there's been more than a few years where packer rats have been calling for MM to be coach of the year.

What's excellent for Mcaddo is that he's going into an established team. He's got a good QB with a bunch of weapons around him. If he can find a way to better utilize that talent then the previous OC, he'll be a success. He has to realize that the team he's on isn't at the point where they can try stuff out to see what works best. They're at the point where they should be using tried and true methods to optimize their performance and that is something that I think he can bring.

MadScientist
01-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Good situation for Ben. He has talent to work with, it is in a high profile market, and they announced that he will be the play caller. If he makes it work, he'll be in line for HC very soon.

run pMc
01-15-2014, 01:20 PM
So does M3 give the QB Coach spot to Alex Van Pelt and hire a new RB coach, or does he bring in someone from outside to coach Rodgers? Who would you want to see?

Patler
01-15-2014, 01:27 PM
So does M3 give the QB Coach spot to Alex Van Pelt and hire a new RB coach, or does he bring in someone from outside to coach Rodgers? Who would you want to see?

I think Van Pelt was brought in specifically for that purpose.

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 01:40 PM
You really want to kick some ass at RB? BRING BLACK "THE GORILLA" WHISPER GOODMAN!!!

http://www.onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/blog_photos/show/09/4219-wisconsinwhispergoodman4.jpg

Your new RB coach!

red
01-15-2014, 01:42 PM

well, its impossible to work your way down or out of m3's system

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 01:45 PM

BOMNF!

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 01:45 PM

How soon they forget the greatness of Donald Lee!

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1030/fantasy_g_lee01_200.jpg