PDA

View Full Version : The Patriot Way

bobblehead
01-15-2014, 06:33 AM
I have commented on some random thread about the Patriots not paying for RB's and WR's.

We pay plenty for our WR's, and invest draft picks as well. Seeing Rodgers crawl off the turf in Chicago got me back to what I always believed years ago. You build an offense around a great OL. I know many will scream bloody murder, but if it were up to me I would let Jordy walk and pay a great LT.

I would cycle through guys like Boykin and James Jones, occassionally spending a 2nd round pick to replenish one semi-stud and count on Arod's greatness to make them sufficient, but I would have a line that kept him clean and provided a big time running game. You give AR that and he makes Boykin look special.

The Patriots have a different RB damn near every season, yet still run effectively year in and year out (because its the OL, not the RB).

Overall, I can't complain about TT's approach as its a winning one, but seeing ARod hurt this season (and taking a lot of punishment each year) makes me yearn for a dominant OL.

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 09:03 AM
I'm with you about the Pats OL, and IMO it makes the argument about Brady "lacking weapons" a weak one. It's a total bullshit argument because he has 5 weapons in front of him.

red
01-15-2014, 09:03 AM
I have commented on some random thread about the Patriots not paying for RB's and WR's.

We pay plenty for our WR's, and invest draft picks as well. Seeing Rodgers crawl off the turf in Chicago got me back to what I always believed years ago. You build an offense around a great OL. I know many will scream bloody murder, but if it were up to me I would let Jordy walk and pay a great LT.

I would cycle through guys like Boykin and James Jones, occassionally spending a 2nd round pick to replenish one semi-stud and count on Arod's greatness to make them sufficient, but I would have a line that kept him clean and provided a big time running game. You give AR that and he makes Boykin look special.

The Patriots have a different RB damn near every season, yet still run effectively year in and year out (because its the OL, not the RB).

Overall, I can't complain about TT's approach as its a winning one, but seeing ARod hurt this season (and taking a lot of punishment each year) makes me yearn for a dominant OL.

actually ,we don't pay our WR's either

jordy and jones are both making under 4 million this year (both deals average around 3 million a year)

for them, amendola has a contract that averages out to a little under 6 million a year, gronk gets almost 7 a year

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Where do we get the great Tackles? Seems we keep trying to draft them in the first round, but they keep getting injured. Your plan sounds wonderful APRH

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 09:11 AM
Where do we get the great Tackles? Seems we keep trying to draft them in the first round, but they keep getting injured. Your plan sounds wonderful APRH

We finally got one in the 4th round who seems able to stay healthy.

red
01-15-2014, 09:22 AM
they aren't really spending a ton of money on their o-line either. the cap number for their entire staring line is around 20 million (mankins making 10 million of that)

our o-line is about 14 (i went with bulaga, lang, eds, sitton, and sherrod) if you substitute bak for sherrod you can take a million off our number

take mankins out of the equation (10million), and to be fair we'll take the highest packer o-line cap number out (sitton at 5.5) and the rest of our guys are making about the same as the rest of their guys

when i look at their cap numbers what appears to jump out at me is they don't overpay their mediocre players. you don't see 4 or 5 million dollars a year spent on average at best players like burnett, brad jones, and even lang

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:28 AM

he didn't finish the SF game, but I'm sure he was just trying to fit in with the team concept. Anyway, I am sure you don't consider him great. But to that point, neither is Bulaga and we don't know about Sherry.

pbmax
01-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I think they have 2 #1 picks starting, Mankins and Solder (or at least high 2nd I think). Packers have Bulaga and Sherrod on the training table/bench.

Would love to see them play one game together to see what happens. Might measure up to NE.

pbmax
01-15-2014, 09:40 AM
he didn't finish the SF game, but I'm sure he was just trying to fit in with the team concept. Anyway, I am sure you don't consider him great. But to that point, neither is Bulaga and we don't know about Sherry.

Kinda like taking a smoking break at work when you don't smoke?

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 09:54 AM

Yeah. At this point, an LT who is can stay on the field for >90% of the snaps and is not a complete dumpster fire looks like a Pro Bowler on this team.

red
01-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Yeah. At this point, an LT who is can stay on the field for >90% of the snaps and is not a complete dumpster fire looks like a Pro Bowler on this team.

any player on this team that can stay healthy for >90% of the snaps looks like a super hero

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 10:00 AM
any player on this team that can stay healthy for >90% of the snaps looks like a super hero

not really

http://hdwallpapersrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/AJ-Hawk.jpg

red
01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
sure he does, he looks like that super hero that was in that one cher movie in the 80's

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 10:41 AM

I like that direction bobblehead.

The PACKERS DEFENSE will take 2-3 years to fix if it gets there at all with Dom Capers as the DC. I'm guessing that TT and MM and Capers are figuring that next season the injuru bug will not be as bad and that through some magical thinking players like Morgan Burnett, Brad Jones, **Nick Perry, Clay Matthews, ** Datone Jones, Josh Boyd, **Jerel Worthy and **CJ Wilson will, for the most part. Blossom into something approaching "REAL SPECIAL".

** How often did any of "YOU" see these "developing players"... even FLASH" in the last two seasons?

The defense is obviously a HUGE FIX .... and with DOM CAPERS and " his 3-4 "Base D ...morphed " >>> 2-4-5 Defensive Scheme not getting it done.

Ted Thompson might use "a bandage approach", and add a FA for somewhere down the middle of the Defense ie Safety, ILB or DT but he might spend the Packers CAP Money more efficiently by springing for a Offensive Tackle who can also add flexibility to the Packers OL.

The real concern is to protect Aaron Rodgers. That has to be TT and MM's FOCUS in this Off Season.

The Packers Defensive Leaders in 2013 were:

Defensive Leaders :

PLAYER : ...............Tackles - Sacks - Fumbles - INT's - HURRIES

A.J. Hawk................ 118 ......5.0......... 1......... 1........... 2
Morgan Burnett.......... 93...... 0.0......... 3......... 0........... 1
Tramon Williams........ 84...... 2.5......... 2.......... 3 ...........2
Brad Jones................ 84...... 3.0......... 1.......... 0........... 1
RFA - M.D. Jennings....68...... 1.0......... 1.......... 0........... 0

Packerrats CAP Experts ie red : Please check this.

ILB - AJ Hawk - 3/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $33.75 million$ contract.

The deal included an $8 million signing bonus

** Annual $250,000 workout bonuses are available in years 2014-15.

2014-2015: $2.45 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus),

2016: Free Agent

Safety - MORGAN BURNETT: 7/15/2013: Signed a five-year, $26.073 million contract.

The deal contains $8.25 million guaranteed.

Burnett is eligible for annual $300,000 workout bonuses in years two through five (2014-17)

2014: $1.15 million (+ $1.5 million roster bonus due in March + $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2015: $2.9 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2016: $3.8 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2017: $4.75 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

2018: Free Agent

TRAMON WILLIAMS:11/30/2010: Signed a five-year, $38.148 million contract. The deal contains $11.074 million guaranteed, including a $6 million signing bonus. 2014: $6.9 million (+ $300,000 roster bonus),

2015: Free Agent

Brad Jones Linebacker 3/21/2013: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal included a $3 million signing bonus. Jones is eligible for annual $200,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $2.5 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $3.25 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

ILB Brad Jones 3/21/2013: Signed a three-year, $11.75 million contract. The deal included a $3 million signing bonus. Jones is eligible for annual $200,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $2.5 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses), 2015: $3.25 million (+ $300,000 in per-game roster bonuses),

Safety - M.D. Jennings

2014: Restricted Free Agent

Marshall Newhouse Tackle

2014: Free Agent

Don Barclay Tackle 4/30/2012: Signed a three-year, $1.443 million contract. The deal included a $2,500 signing bonus. 2014: $570,000,

2015: Restricted Free Agent

Bryan Bulaga Tackle 7/30/2010: Signed a five-year, $12.21 million contract. The deal contains $8.76 million guaranteed, including an $880,000 signing bonus, a first-year roster bonus of $794,000, and a second-year $3.95 million option bonus. Another $2.54 million is available through a "likely to be earned" onetime escalator clause. Bulaga is eligible for annual $100,000 workout bonuses throughout the contract's life. 2014: $2,565,500,

2015: Free Agent

It may have been "Guiness"... that recommende this guy as a good FA prospect for Ted Thompson to bring to Green Bay:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branden_Albert#Kansas_City_Chiefs

OT Branden Albert of the Kansas City Chiefs. Date of birth: Nov.4, 1984 (age 29) ; Height: 6 ft 5 in Weight: 316 lb

Roster status: Active Kansas City Chiefs (2008–present)

Career highlights and awards:

Pro Bowl (2013) ... 2006 First Team All-ACC

Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2012: Games played 72 Games started 71

http://www.nfl.com/player/brandenalbert/660/profile

2013: Games Started 12.

Ted Thompson should get him to Green Bay for $7-7.5 Million$ /Year or $28-30 Million$/4Year CONTRACT

or

Five Year $33-35 Million$ Contract (including a $8 Million$ signing bonus and roster and workout bonuses).

GO PACK GO !

denverYooper
01-15-2014, 10:51 AM
With the tiny little wireless cameras they have now, the Patriots have seen a rebirth. This time, they probably won't even get caught :) because they don't have to leave anyone at the scene and they can just ditch the cameras. They can just plant those little suckers everywhere whenever they're in town.

KYPack
01-15-2014, 11:03 AM
With the tiny little wireless cameras they have now, the Patriots have seen a rebirth. This time, they probably won't even get caught :) because they don't have to leave anyone at the scene and they can just ditch the cameras. They can just plant those little suckers everywhere whenever they're in town.

it must be noted on the hooded one's resume that NE hasn't won a SB since they got busted for Spygate.

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Just be suspicious if you see a collection of hummingbirds on the other team's sideline...

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/cameras/nano-hummingbird-spy-camera-3665.jpg

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 09:35 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTImMFKcevwKohYF221deKmpy4oUhWP-7MqEUhEjEkv-HDNePMcpw

" NO GREEN BAY PACKERS QUALIFY. ".... Superman

Joemailman
01-15-2014, 10:56 PM

Sitton and Lang were also 4th round picks. TT should only draft offensive linemen in the 4th round.

pbmax
01-16-2014, 12:28 AM
Just be suspicious if you see a collection of hummingbirds on the other team's sideline...

http://www.dudeiwantthat.com/gear/cameras/nano-hummingbird-spy-camera-3665.jpg

Wasn't that the homing bird in Speed Racer?

Pops was the Steven Jobs of automotive espionage.

smuggler
01-16-2014, 05:56 AM

Pops didn't love money enough to be Steve Jobs.

mraynrand
01-16-2014, 09:25 AM
Wasn't that the homing bird in Speed Racer?

You know, Racer X was secretly Speed's brother...

mraynrand
01-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Pops didn't love money enough to be Steve Jobs.

Steve Jobs started out small time too. Pops was just too belligerent. And Chim Chim kept eating the patent applications.

run pMc
01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
I think you can cycle through WRs if you have good coaches and you draft well. Finding/developing guys like Boykin are a bonus.

You have to have a good QB though, and at least an average OL. Outside of LT I don't know if I'd spend a lot of money, but I wouldn't skimp either -- if you have a good QB, you need to protect him. Would love to see what a healthy first-string OL look like for GB after a few games.

pbmax
01-16-2014, 03:51 PM
You know, Racer X was secretly Speed's brother...

Really? I don't recall that being mentioned in the series?