PDA

View Full Version : One guys take on upcoming packers draft (full 7 round packers mock)

red
01-15-2014, 03:52 PM
found this on bleacherreport just now. figured it might be a decent talking point

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1914916-7-round-2014-nfl-mock-draft-20-for-the-green-bay-packers

red
01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
i think thats a good looking draft

i've mentioned calvin pryor before and i'm starting to warm up even more to him lately

skov has all the heart and fire you want, my only concern with him is that he wasn't asked to cover a whole lot. if he can do it, he's be a great pick

love the third round pick of the giant TE from Iowa that can run catch and block

the rest of it goes about how i would expect it to. couple of fatties for the d-line and a o-lineman that can play multiple positions, with another USC OLB thrown in for good measure

wouldn't mind that draft at all

pittstang5
01-15-2014, 05:33 PM
For positions that the Packers are going to need to fill, that's a pretty damn sexy mock draft. I don't know much about the Safety from Louisville yet, I'll have to do some research. However, I'm sure TT will be taking a WR somewhere in the top 3 rounds.

Bretsky
01-15-2014, 06:24 PM

i've mentioned calvin pryor before and i'm starting to warm up even more to him lately

skov has all the heart and fire you want, my only concern with him is that he wasn't asked to cover a whole lot. if he can do it, he's be a great pick

love the third round pick of the giant TE from Iowa that can run catch and block

the rest of it goes about how i would expect it to. couple of fatties for the d-line and a o-lineman that can play multiple positions, with another USC OLB thrown in for good measure

wouldn't mind that draft at all

I am on board but I want to throw the round two pick out the window and draft a better player there

bobblehead
01-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Jesus, that is a horrible picture of TT. He looks like my grandma that time I shot out the barn window for target practice.

woodbuck27
01-15-2014, 08:44 PM
Jesus, that is a horrible picture of TT. He looks like my grandma that time I shot out the barn window for target practice.

That's the TT LOOK.

He looks very nice in Profile:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRTUDNHkF22GZioppznlGHLhmsHdWvTT r2Xx8Re5v4-QQ-LyNOoag

He just wiped off his drool.

red
01-15-2014, 09:36 PM
For positions that the Packers are going to need to fill, that's a pretty damn sexy mock draft. I don't know much about the Safety from Louisville yet, I'll have to do some research. However, I'm sure TT will be taking a WR somewhere in the top 3 rounds.

big (6'2) hard hitter that can cover

red
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I am on board but I want to throw the round two pick out the window and draft a better player there

yeah, i'd rather get that smallwood guy there if he was available

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't know where the Packers would put him, but I want Denicos Allen from MI State

red
01-15-2014, 09:42 PM
I don't know where the Packers would put him, but I want Denicos Allen from MI State

kinda small at 5'11, 218. don't know if TT would go for a LB that size

no matter how good he might be

pittstang5
01-15-2014, 09:43 PM

Dj Smith II?

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Dj Smith II?

Allen is faster, smaller, and an inch taller.

mraynrand
01-15-2014, 09:49 PM
For a while I was entertaining the thought that Allen was fast enough to be a thumper at safety, but i suspect he will go the other way - try to get bigger and be more of a Patrick Willis (Willis is two inches taller, a fraction slower, and weighs 30 pounds more)

smuggler
01-15-2014, 11:16 PM
Don't we already have that kind of guy in Rasta Lattimore?

Striker
01-16-2014, 08:18 AM
I'd be onboard with that type of draft. I'll be interested to see where Pryor and Clinton Dix go once the combine is through.

denverYooper
01-16-2014, 08:39 AM
big (6'2) hard hitter that can cover

Fast.

pittstang5
01-16-2014, 09:28 AM
Packers need a fast, hard hitting safety or anyone for that matter that will strike the fear of God into a receiver going across the middle. I'll keep an eye on Pryor.

It's too soon to tell, but is Pryor a reach in the first round? I really don't know. I guess the combine will give us a better idea.

Cheesehead Craig
01-16-2014, 09:35 AM
Packers need a fast, hard hitting safety or anyone for that matter that will strike the fear of God into a receiver going across the middle. I'll keep an eye on Pryor.

It's too soon to tell, but is Pryor a reach in the first round? I really don't know. I guess the combine will give us a better idea.

I'd be happy with a fast safety who knows where he is supposed to be.

red
01-16-2014, 11:05 AM

a lot of mocks now have him as a first rounder, some even have him going before ha ha

Tony Oday
01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Don't know or care about college players but no way TT doesn't draft a WR :) Like the sounds of the draft though.

run pMc
01-16-2014, 11:53 AM
I'd swap out the Skov pick for someone else, unless they want him as a thumper and hope someone else at ILB can cover TE's/RB's. I'm lukewarm on that guy.
I could see them going with a WR in R2 instead, depending on what happens with JJ and what they think of Lattimore and Barrington. No idea if there is an ILB that will be available at #53 that projects better than Hawk/Jones.

Combine and these invite games will be important for the safeties. Hadn't heard this being a great safety class outside of Ha-Ha. (Safeties drafted in R1 -- 2013: 3, 2012: 2, 2011: 0, 2010:2). I could be wrong -- I have no idea where this year's crop of safeties stacks up vs. previous ones.

pittstang5
01-16-2014, 12:25 PM
a lot of mocks now have him as a first rounder, some even have him going before ha ha

I'm liking what I see so far of Pryor. I wish we could get both CJ Mosley and Pryor. That would make my freakin year.

If both Mosley and Pryor are there at 21, I think I'm taking Mosley. If Pryor lasts to the 2nd, I'm trying to trade up.

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 01:13 PM
I'd swap out the Skov pick for someone else, unless they want him as a thumper and hope someone else at ILB can cover TE's/RB's. I'm lukewarm on that guy.
I could see them going with a WR in R2 instead, depending on what happens with JJ and what they think of Lattimore and Barrington. No idea if there is an ILB that will be available at #53 that projects better than Hawk/Jones.

Combine and these invite games will be important for the safeties. Hadn't heard this being a great safety class outside of Ha-Ha. (Safeties drafted in R1 -- 2013: 3, 2012: 2, 2011: 0, 2010:2). I could be wrong -- I have no idea where this year's crop of safeties stacks up vs. previous ones.

I'll predict after TT makes an offer to James Jones, (29) / 3/31/1984.

That James Jones isn't really excited with TT's offfer, so he 'of course' hits the market. That he easily gets more money from another team. I predict that too many organizations recognize James Jones skills and reliability ... in a 7 Yr. career - 2007-13 James Jones has dressed for all but '8 games'.

NFL teams may well covet James Jones even as their NO. 2 WR.

The Detroit Lions are certainly a viable target for James Jones agent.

They need to find a solid WR capable of drawing attention away from "Megatron ... Calvin Johnson".

He would be a nice addition in Buffalo.

I felt for awhile now, and still see him headed home; hooking up with Philip Rivers as a BOLT.

James Jones is aggressive and can play across the LOS and run multiple threat routes just as Jordy Nelson does.

He'll receive a nice contract elsewhere unless TT LOCKS him up. Ted Thompson has to not be so casual or procrastinating this Off Season. Ted Thompson has to have his homework done and his brands firmly in the fire. It's peddle to the metal right now and NOT later. TT has to be 110% prepared.

If Ted Thompson dogs it again... this Off Season.

I predict he won't be able to pick all of the shit that will be tossed at and caked on his closed office door at 1265 Lombardi Ave.

Ted Thompson has never faced the challenges an Off Season, like he's about to more seriously get down to and this Off Season. TT's down in Florida for this Saturday's East West Shrine Game. That's 'of course' great. Al the same...there's a heck of a lot more going on that isn't entertained by his penchant to play draft genius this off Season.

Ted Thompson has to demonstrate supper universal skills and being the Green Bay Packers GM. There's no" Dog Day Afternoon's" ... for Ole Ted.

Packer Nation has the Packer management under as microscope right now; and for the too obvious reason. That "no excuse" avoids the fact that "the Green Bay Packers claim the BEST football player in the NFL" and pay Aaron Rodgers in full accordance to that "as the highest paid NFL player".

And .... This contradiction in a QB Driven League:

TT and MM and DC Dom Capers have gone (again) a really shabby 1-3 in the playoff's from 2011-13.

That telling fact cannot be avoided as insignificant.

Without him we're down to two WR's in Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson that are in contract years in 2014.

I want Ted Thompson to think hard before allowing James Jones to get out o sight.

Unless that's done James Jones is sadly for me history as a Green Bay Packer.

Ted Thompson has to cut bait and the WR position and Jarrett Boykin does look ready to step in for James Jones.

James Jones will attract the attention of other NFL teams, because he had his best Career YEAR and in his CONTRACT YEAR in terms of Yards receiving.

In 14 games ... 59 receptions for ** 817 Total yards ( ** 58.4 Y/G Avg.) and 3 TD's.

** Career Bests.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4242/james-jones

http://www.rotoworld.com/stats/nfl/4242/james-jones

Tony Oday
01-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Jones gets a fair contract offer and he stays to continue his charity work.

red
01-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm liking what I see so far of Pryor. I wish we could get both CJ Mosley and Pryor. That would make my freakin year.

If both Mosley and Pryor are there at 21, I think I'm taking Mosley. If Pryor lasts to the 2nd, I'm trying to trade up.

yeah, if mosley is there at #21 i'm taking him no matter who else is available

pittstang5
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
yeah, if mosley is there at #21 i'm taking him no matter who else is available

I'm dissappointed - looks like he (Mosley) might not play in the senior bowl.

gbgary
01-16-2014, 01:45 PM

I pay no attention to college fb so the players listed mean nothing to me but the positions chosen and their priority are pretty much right-on if we don't do anything in fa. I might move te up a notch but if it fell like this so be it.

red
01-16-2014, 01:57 PM
I pay no attention to college fb so the players listed mean nothing to me but the positions chosen and their priority are pretty much right-on if we don't do anything in fa. I might move te up a notch but if it fell like this so be it.

i don't know who any of the guys are after the 3rd round pick, like you, i just like the positions that were taken

as for taking a TE higher, there seems to be 3 big time TE's that could go in the first. jace amaro from a&m, eric ebron from unc, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins from washington. then there's the next tier which Fiedorowicz falls right into. these guys will go in any order in rounds 2 and 3

fiedorowicz didn't put up big numbers, but the guy is huge (6'7, 265) and can catch, run and block. he's not a 1 dimensional TE like finley was, he can do it all.

he also could be gone by the time we pick in the 2nd

woodbuck27
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Jones gets a fair contract offer and he stays to continue his charity work.

I'm on board with that plan .. Stan. :grin:

run pMc
01-16-2014, 05:15 PM
I think Mosley will be gone by 21, but if he's there I'm in favor of it.

I think they will want to keep at least 2 of Jordy/JJ/Cobb. Boykin can play, and they'll have to improve the backup talent with someone from the draft or PS.