PDA

View Full Version : Former Packers still pursuing the dream

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Patler
01-17-2014, 09:49 AM
Teams are starting to flesh out their off-season rosters, and players with Packer ties are being signed. A few I have run across

Nick McDonald and Terrell Manning were signed this week by San Diego.
Jerron McMillian was signed by Kansas City.

red
01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
i'm surprised it took manning so long to find a team

i thought he had some nice potential?

mraynrand
01-17-2014, 11:18 AM
I assume that for Jerron McMillian, the dream is, someday, sometime, before he retires, actually defensing a pass in a regular season NFL game.

KYPack
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I assume that for Jerron McMillian, the dream is, someday, sometime, before he retires, actually defensing a pass in a regular season NFL game.

That kid was unreal. He had some speed and strength, but what a case of arrested development. He went from splitting time in base, to nickel, to dime, to ST, to inactive, to cut.

He has some physical skills, maybe some time and the right coach would make him an NFL player. He ain't one right now.

denverYooper
01-17-2014, 12:32 PM

He had 1 more pass defensed than MD Jennings this season.

Patler
01-17-2014, 12:54 PM

Sure defines the problem, doesn't it?

woodbuck27
01-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Sure defines the problem, doesn't it?

:bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::bclap::

:!:.............. :arrow:.............. :!: .............. :arrow:.............. :!:

Pugger
01-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Then the real puzzle is why we kept Jennings over McMillian. :-?

run pMc
01-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Then the real puzzle is why we kept Jennings over McMillian. :-?

I think the answer is to rewatch the game vs. Baltimore.

mraynrand
01-17-2014, 03:01 PM
That kid was unreal. He had some speed and strength, but what a case of arrested development. He went from splitting time in base, to nickel, to dime, to ST, to inactive, to cut.

He has some physical skills, maybe some time and the right coach would make him an NFL player. He ain't one right now.

Makes you wonder. Jennings, Burnett, House.....

Patler
01-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Makes you wonder. Jennings, Burnett, House.....

Lee, Underwood, Rouse.... the list is a long one.

smuggler
01-17-2014, 04:29 PM
The reality is that playing a ball in the air is mostly in your head and not physical. Most college corners and safeties don't cut it in the NFL and it's often not because they don't have the physical tools.

mraynrand
01-17-2014, 04:57 PM
The reality is that playing a ball in the air is mostly in your head and not physical. Most college corners and safeties don't cut it in the NFL and it's often not because they don't have the physical tools.

"did someone mention my name?"

http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/ahmad-carroll-new-york-jets-1116jpg-441415d1ac39c184_large.jpg

Rodgers12
01-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Lee, Underwood, Rouse.... the list is a long one.

Marquand Manuel, Charlie Peprah, Earl Little, Anthony Smith.

Something tells me it's not the coaches, it's the players. Ted Thompson has been GM for almost a decade and he has not yet found a competent replacement for pretty boy Darren Sharper.

Maybe the Packers could move Perry to coach the OLBs and hire ex-Packer great, Al Harris, to coach the DBs. Harris is currently assistant DB coach in Kansas City under ex-Packer DC, Emmit Thomas, so the hire would be a promotion.

mraynrand
01-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Marquand Manuel, Charlie Peprah, Earl Little, Anthony Smith.

Something tells me it's not the coaches, it's the players. Ted Thompson has been GM for almost a decade and he has not yet found a competent replacement for pretty boy Darren Sharper.

Maybe the Packers could move Perry to coach the OLBs and hire ex-Packer great, Al Harris, to coach the DBs. Harris is currently assistant DB coach in Kansas City under ex-Packer DC, Emmit Thomas, so the hire would be a promotion.

Harris can only coach man coverage

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 12:26 AM

I heard Slocum took him under his wing early...just sayin'

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 12:28 AM

Ummm....Nick Collins?

Rodgers12
01-18-2014, 12:30 AM
Ummm....Nick Collins?

Collins was Butler's replacement.

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 12:35 AM

So the real conclusion is that Sherman never replaced Butler and TT was left cleaning up his mess.

Rodgers12
01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
So the real conclusion is that Sherman never replaced Butler and TT was left cleaning up his mess.

And in the process of cleaning up said mess, Thompson made and continues to make even a bigger mess.

woodbuck27
01-18-2014, 02:03 AM
And in the process of cleaning up said mess, Thompson made and continues to make even a bigger mess.

and....... That's because...............................Ted's Mother........... always................ (You've got it).

pbmax
01-18-2014, 09:36 AM

This argument is like a 3 card monte game.

Sharper did not have a great running mate after Butler was gone.

Collins at least had complementary piece Charlie Peprah next to him. Peprah was no Pro Bowl talent, but he did a job and usually did it well even if he could get into trouble in space. Who woulda ever thunk we would miss Pep?

Patler
01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Without the freakish play ending Collin's career, we would not be critical of the safeties. We likely would all agree that TT had done his job well finding long term starters in Collins and Burnett and effective shorter term players in Peprah, Bigby, etc. TT came to GB with Sharper an immediate cap casualty, so he needed two starters immediately, then he lost the best one he had found.

Maxie the Taxi
01-18-2014, 11:57 AM
I expect the subject ex-Packers to be all-Pro's in the next 2-3 years.

pbmax
01-18-2014, 01:31 PM
I expect the subject ex-Packers to be all-Pro's in the next 2-3 years.

Good subject. Who are the best players to leave, not by monster FA deal the Packers were unwilling to match, but because they did not perform at an adequate level to maintain their roster spot? And then went on to bigger success.

Let's limit it to players under McCarthy's current coaches and acquired by Thompson.

Of the top of my head (OK, that quickly became a lie, after only thinking of 10, I went to the Packer Historical Roster (http://nfl.packers.com/history/all_time_roster/players/)for help):

"Allen, Jake" WR
"Barbre, Allen" G/T
"Barnett, Nick" LB
"Bell, Josh" CB
"Benson, Cedric" RB
"Bigby, Atari" S
"Bishop, Desmond" LB
"Blackmon, Will" CB
"Bodiford, Shaun" WR
"Bolston, Conrad" DT
"Briggs, Diyral" LB
"Chillar, Brandon" LB
"Clifton, Chad" T
"Cole, Colin" DT
"Colledge, Daryn" G/T
"Collins, Nick" S
"Coston, Junius" T/G
"Crabtree, Tom" TE
"Davis, Rob" LS
"Driver, Donald" WR
"Ealy, Biren" WR
"Favre, Brett" QB
"Ford, Trevor" CB
"Francies, Chris" WR
"Franks, Bubba" TE
"Frost, Derrick" P
"Gbaja-Biamila, Kabeer" DE
"Giacomini, Breno" T
"Giordano, Matt" S
"Gordy, Josh" CB
"Grant, Ryan" RB
"Green, Ahman" RB
"Green, Alex" RB
"Green, Howard" NT
"Hall, Korey" FB
"Harrell, Graham" QB
"Harrell, Justin" DT
"Harris, Al" CB
"Havner, Spencer" TE/LB
"Holiday, Carlyle" WR
"Humphrey, Tory" TE
"Hunter, Jason" DE
"Jenkins, Cullen" DT/DE
"Jennings, Greg" WR
"Johnson, Quinn" FB
"Kampman, Aaron" DE/LB
"Kapinos, Jeremy" P
"Krause, Ryan" TE
"Lansanah, Danny" LB
"Lee, Donald" TE
"Lee, Pat" CB
"Lumpkin, Kregg" RB
"Malone, Alfred" DT
"Manning, Terrell" LB
"Martin, Derrick" S
"Martin, Ruvell" WR
"McMillian, Jerron" S
"Merling, Phillip" DE
"Miller, Jordan" DT
"Moll, Tony" T/G
"Montgomery, Michael" DE
"Morency, Vernand" RB
"Moses, Dezman" LB
"Muir, Daniel" DT
"Nall, Craig" QB
"Nance, Dimitri" RB
"Obiozor, Cyril" LB
"Palmer, Tony" G
"Peprah, Charlie" S
"Pettway, Kenny" DE
"Poppinga, Brady" LB
"Porter, Joe" CB
"Robinson, Koren" WR
"Ross, Jeremy" WR
"Rouse, Aaron" S
"Ryan, Jon" P
"Saine, Brandon" RB
"Saturday, Jeff" C
"Simpkins, Maurice" LB
"Smith, Anthony" S
"Smith, D.J." LB
"So'oto, Vic" LB
"Spitz, Jason" G/C
"Swain, Brett" WR
"Tauscher, Mark" T/G
"Thompson, Jeremy" DE/LB
"Toribio, Anthony" NT
"Underwood, Brandon" CB
"Walden, Erik" LB
"Walker, Frank" CB
"Wells, Scott" C/G
"White, Johnny" RB
"White, Tracy" LB
"Wilhelm, Matt" LB
"Williams, Corey" DT/DE
"Williams, D.J." LB
"Woodson, Charles" CB
"Wynn, DeShawn" RB
"Wynn, Jarius" DE
"Zombo, Frank" LB

pbmax
01-18-2014, 01:48 PM
I am leaving Favre out because his replacement was on the roster and it was obvious the wanted to move on, retirement, contract or not. But if you include him, I think the move nets positive for Packers.

Here are those who went on to be starters at least: Giacomini, Woodson, Tracy White (starter at least on Philly ST), Scott Wells, Frank Walker (nickel), Erik Walden, Anthony Smith (got a start somewhere), Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Poppinga, Muir, Moll (started as backup to injured), Ruvell, Lumpkin, Kampman, Quinn Johnson, Jennings, Jenkins, Havner, Harris, Ahman Green, Crabtree, Colledge, Cole, Blackmon, Bishop, Barnett.

Remove from consideration those who were not retained because of contract/cap value/FA but would have been retained otherwise: Woodson, Scott Wells, Erik Walden, Kampman, Jennings, Colledge (did he get an offer from the Pack?).

Cut because they were judged didn't fit or couldn't play or not worth roster spot: Giacomini, Tracy White, Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Brady Poppinga, Daniel Muir, Tony Moll, Ruvell Martin, Kregg Lumpkin, Quinn Johnson, Cullen Jenkins (have heard both be was offered deal/was in plans but also was not given option to stay), Spencer Havner, Al Harris, Ahman Green, Tom Crabtree, Colin Cole, Will Blackmon, Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett.

What do you think? Regrets? Jenkins, Ryan, maybe Giacomini though he is on list to get replaced by Seahawks), Tracy White still hasn't been replaced, Muir started for Colts on some pretty average defenses. Bishop still had gas in tank but hurt, maybe Barnett?

mraynrand
01-18-2014, 09:12 PM
Did Thompson get rid of the fullback who played for the Ravens and Texans? That guy did very well.

Favre, College, Jenkins, Ryan. Maybe only Jenkins is the true regret. I have no regrets about Favre:
http://www.manolith.com/files/2013/01/favre-interception-giants.jpg

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 11:01 PM
This argument is like a 3 card monte game.

Sharper did not have a great running mate after Butler was gone.

Collins at least had complementary piece Charlie Peprah next to him. Peprah was no Pro Bowl talent, but he did a job and usually did it well even if he could get into trouble in space. Who woulda ever thunk we would miss Pep?

If anyone is a crackerjack researcher at bumping threads I did. I was amiss at everyone begging to replace him after the superbowl. Was he a stud...hell no, but we had studs (until collins went snap)

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 11:07 PM
I am leaving Favre out because his replacement was on the roster and it was obvious the wanted to move on, retirement, contract or not. But if you include him, I think the move nets positive for Packers.

Here are those who went on to be starters at least: Giacomini, Woodson, Tracy White (starter at least on Philly ST), Scott Wells, Frank Walker (nickel), Erik Walden, Anthony Smith (got a start somewhere), Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Poppinga, Muir, Moll (started as backup to injured), Ruvell, Lumpkin, Kampman, Quinn Johnson, Jennings, Jenkins, Havner, Harris, Ahman Green, Crabtree, Colledge, Cole, Blackmon, Bishop, Barnett.

Remove from consideration those who were not retained because of contract/cap value/FA but would have been retained otherwise: Woodson, Scott Wells, Erik Walden, Kampman, Jennings, Colledge (did he get an offer from the Pack?).

Cut because they were judged didn't fit or couldn't play or not worth roster spot: Giacomini, Tracy White, Frank Walker, Anthony Smith, Jon Ryan, Aaron Rouse, Brady Poppinga, Daniel Muir, Tony Moll, Ruvell Martin, Kregg Lumpkin, Quinn Johnson, Cullen Jenkins (have heard both be was offered deal/was in plans but also was not given option to stay), Spencer Havner, Al Harris, Ahman Green, Tom Crabtree, Colin Cole, Will Blackmon, Desmond Bishop and Nick Barnett.

What do you think? Regrets? Jenkins, Ryan, maybe Giacomini though he is on list to get replaced by Seahawks), Tracy White still hasn't been replaced, Muir started for Colts on some pretty average defenses. Bishop still had gas in tank but hurt, maybe Barnett?

Ryans took a minute to replace. We missed him, but not anymore. I miss wells even though he has been hurt without our bang up training staff. College was reliably average.

I would say that I may have preferred paying/hanging on to a couple guys on that list, but none of them change much.

Guiness
01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Ryans took a minute to replace.

A LOT longer than that.

Getting rid of Ryan hurt the Pack quite a bit for 2 seasons. Frost and Kapinos were just this side of train wrecks. They were damn lucky when they finally found another ginger that came in and played well right away.

I know most will say it's only a punter, I'd say Ryan is biggest loss if you look at a player with a long future who has consistently played well.

Most of the others players, honestly, were borderline players, or the replacement was on the roster. Scott Wells is probably an exception.

aside: Will Blackmon got to start somewhere? Pity that team...

Patler
01-19-2014, 06:51 AM

I think of Colin Cole in the group of players they couldn't afford to keep, but would have kept if they could have afforded it. I think they wanted him and made him an offer, but he got a bigger offer from Seattle than the Packers were willing to pay.

They gave up on Dave Tollefson early, and he went on to be a solid contributor for the Giants for a few years. But, I doubt the Packers have any real regrets about it.
They also gave up on Clarke Harris, who is now the Bengals longsnapper. Again, I doubt the Packers have regrets about it.

Jon Ryan might be the one guy they let go without a good replacement on hand. They don't miss him now, but did until they got Masthay.
Jenkins maybe, but the story isn't very clear about what really happened.
I think they still wanted Giacomini. Seattle signed him from the Packers practice squad, although they released him later that season and the Packers didn't reacquire him.

Joemailman
01-19-2014, 07:08 AM
They gave up on Dave Tollefson early, and he went on to be a solid contributor for the Giants for a few years. But, I doubt the Packers have any real regrets about it.
They also gave up on Clarke Harris, who is now the Bengals longsnapper. Again, I doubt the Packers have regrets about it.

The Packers didn't quite give up on Tollefson. He was signed by Oakland off the Packers practice squad in 2006 before ending up the NYG for several years. Also, when he became a free agent in 2012, the Packers were one of four teams he visited with.

woodbuck27
01-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Ryans took a minute to replace. We missed him, but not anymore. I miss wells even though he has been hurt without our bang up training staff. College was reliably average.

I would say that I may have preferred paying/hanging on to a couple guys on that list, but none of them change much.

Evan Dietrich-Smith is te 10th ranked Center in the NFL bt Pro Football Focus ( sunscription required).

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers wants his Center back. I certainly want for TT to make E D-S a priority re-signing.

I want TT to secure our OL because our defense has a mountain to climb. Aaron Rodgers must as a highest priority be protected.

bobblehead
01-19-2014, 10:56 AM
A LOT longer than that.

Getting rid of Ryan hurt the Pack quite a bit for 2 seasons. Frost and Kapinos were just this side of train wrecks. They were damn lucky when they finally found another ginger that came in and played well right away.

I know most will say it's only a punter, I'd say Ryan is biggest loss if you look at a player with a long future who has consistently played well.

Most of the others players, honestly, were borderline players, or the replacement was on the roster. Scott Wells is probably an exception.

aside: Will Blackmon got to start somewhere? Pity that team...

I guess that came off different in text. When I said it took a minute, I meant it as, we didn't replace him instantly...it took time, but we did get it right.

bobblehead
01-19-2014, 10:58 AM
Evan Dietrich-Smith is te 10th ranked Center in the NFL bt Pro Football Focus ( sunscription required).

I'm sure Aaron Rodgers wants his Center back. I certainly want for TT to make E D-S a priority re-signing.

I want TT to secure our OL because our defense has a mountain to climb. Aaron Rodgers must as a highest priority be protected.

I don't disagree that I want EDS back for a modest contract. 10th? I doubt that, but I don't focus on many teams centers. I watch tackles mostly. Sadly I think TT won't offer EDS much because he has Tretter and Lang if desperate.

Joemailman
01-19-2014, 11:16 AM
It's a tough call. Rodgers would like some continuity, but I don't think EDS will ever be more than average. Tretter is probably the smartest guy on the team (33 wonderlic), so I don't have concerns about his ability to pick up the mental aspects of playing the position. He probably has more upside. Still, he hasn't played except for the scout team for a few weeks.

pbmax
01-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Tollefson didn't appear on the list because he spent no time with McCarthy, though it occurs to me my search might have missed 2006, Year 2 of T2 and Year 1 of M3.

Here is who I missed from 2006:

Alcorn, Zac
Allen, Kenderick
Carroll, Ahmad
Culver, Tyrone
Dendy, Patrick
Ferguson, Robert
Gado, Samkon
Henderson, William
Herron, Noah
Hodge, Abdul
Leach, Vonta
Manuel, Marquand
Martin, David
Martin, Ingle
Miree, Brandon
Pope, P.J.
Rayner, Dave
Taylor, Ben
Walter, Tyson

Patler
01-19-2014, 11:36 AM
The Packers didn't quite give up on Tollefson. He was signed by Oakland off the Packers practice squad in 2006 before ending up the NYG for several years. Also, when he became a free agent in 2012, the Packers were one of four teams he visited with.

The Raiders signed him after the Packers season ended, when their PS contracts were done. The Packers signed Tramon Williams, Spencer Havner, and their other PS guys to futures contracts at that point, but not Tollefson. Maybe it was Tollefson's choice not to sign with GB, but the Raiders signed him to their off season roster as a FA.

We discussed it at the time here:

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?4337-Raiders-sign-Dave-Tollefson-off-Packers-PS

Patler
01-19-2014, 11:50 AM
It's a tough call. Rodgers would like some continuity, but I don't think EDS will ever be more than average. Tretter is probably the smartest guy on the team (33 wonderlic), so I don't have concerns about his ability to pick up the mental aspects of playing the position. He probably has more upside. Still, he hasn't played except for the scout team for a few weeks.

It's too bad. They had a good plan. EDS signed for 2013 and a 4th round pick in Tretter. If Tretter hadn't been injured, they would know a lot more about his potential at center.

TT has to be getting frustrated with so many injuries screwing up his plans.

pbmax
06-16-2014, 02:14 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 6m
Giants sign Jay Bromley, Terrell Manning http://wp.me/p14QSB-9vcz

pbmax
07-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Rob Demovsky ‏@RobDemovsky 40m
Happy to see @NMcDonald65 get another shot with the Cleveland Browns. Enjoyed telling his story a few years ago: http://www.packersnews.com/article/20100917/PKR01/100917131/Lineman-McDonald-overcomes-odds-to-win-spot-on-roster …

I wonder if Greg Bedard and Patler still blame Campen for his failure to develop? :lol:

Patler
07-22-2014, 05:29 PM
I didn't blame Campen for McDonald. Blamed him for a lot else, though!

I argued that the lovefest from MM toward McDonald that first year was just hype.

Pugger
07-23-2014, 07:40 AM

But had Collins not had a career ending injury safety would NOT be the mess it is today. Hopefully Ha Ha will help fix that.

Pugger
07-23-2014, 07:46 AM
I didn't blame Campen for McDonald. Blamed him for a lot else, though!

I argued that the lovefest from MM toward McDonald that first year was just hype.

If Tretter works out as our center and Bulaga is back 100% we'll end up with one of the better O lines around.

MadScientist
07-23-2014, 11:15 AM
If Tretter works out as our center and Bulaga is back 100% we'll end up with one of the better O lines around.
Maybe, but holding true to Campen's coaching, the o-line will suck donkey balls for the first 2-4 games, before the rest of the offense adapts.

bobblehead
07-23-2014, 03:05 PM

We are still piss poor at the key spot on the OL.

bobblehead
07-23-2014, 03:06 PM
Maybe, but holding true to Campen's coaching, the o-line will suck donkey balls for the first 2-4 games, before the rest of the offense adapts.

That has to do with not having contact in practice. If you don't practice containing a raging bull until the games go live, you will suck until you get a few games in.

pbmax
09-24-2014, 11:24 AM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m
#Texans announced they signed ex-#Packers NT Ryan Pickett and placed third-rounder Louis Nix on IR, ending his rookie season.

Louis Nix, INJURY PRONE

Blame it on Bretsky.

Zool
09-24-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm really surprised the Pack didn't go after Pickett when Raji went down. They must really be committed to the smaller guy scheme.

pittstang5
09-24-2014, 02:20 PM
I'm really surprised the Pack didn't go after Pickett when Raji went down. They must really be committed to the smaller guy scheme.

I'm more surprised Jolly hasn't gotten a call or even a sniff from anyone.

denverYooper
09-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I'm really surprised the Pack didn't go after Pickett when Raji went down. They must really be committed to the faster guy scheme.

FIFY.

Rutnstrut
09-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 7m
#Texans announced they signed ex-#Packers NT Ryan Pickett and placed third-rounder Louis Nix on IR, ending his rookie season.

Louis Nix, INJURY PRONE

Blame it on Bretsky.

Good to see Pickett getting another chance, I hope he has a great season.

pbmax
09-24-2014, 11:44 PM

He might still be a couple of months from clearance even on the Sean Richardson timetable.

pbmax
10-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 23m23 minutes ago
In Terrell Manning news. RT @ChicagoBears #Bears elevate LB Terrell Manning from p-squad to roster.

Joemailman
10-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Saints have signed Tom Crabtree.

Teamcheez1
10-12-2014, 09:28 AM
Ryan Taylor awarded to Ravens off waivers.

Harlan Huckleby
10-12-2014, 10:54 AM
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/writer-cooks-up-tundra-terrors-with-packers-leftovers-b99368442z1-278917191.html
McGinn constructs team from castoffs.

More fun for McGinn than his readers. But I decided not to post a snotty comment, it's got to be hard to find something to write about.
Your team, sorta:

QB Matt Hasselbeck. Henry Burris
WR James Jones, Greg Jennings, Jeremy Ross, Charles Johnson
TE Ryan Taylor, Tom Crabtree
OL Marshall Newhouse, Daryn Colledge, Scott Wells, Jamon Meredith, Breno Giacomini
RB Cedric Benson, Alex Green, Vonta Leach

DL Cullen Jenkins, C.J. Wilson, Lawrence Guy, Colin Cole, Ryan Pickett
ILB Danny Lansanah, Desmond Bishop, Nick Barnett, D.J. Smith, Rob Francois
OLB Erik Walden, Frank Zombo, Jason Hunter, Dezman Moses
CB Josh Gordy, Will Blackmon, Jumal Rolle ,Brandon Smith, James Nixon
S Anthony Levine, Micah Pellerin, Brandian Ross, M.D. Jennings

Fritz
10-12-2014, 11:03 AM
Yeah, no use in trying to do any real assessment of whether that defensive line is gelling at all, or if Quarless really is taking up the slack at TE or if Richard Rodgers is nothing but a training camp flash, or taking a close look at how the defense changes when it's Hayard versus House as the extra back.

No sense in any of that.

Carolina_Packer
10-12-2014, 12:44 PM
or if Richard Rodgers is nothing but a training camp flash...

...it's a gas, gas, gas.

Guiness
10-12-2014, 01:22 PM
Saints have signed Tom Crabtree.

He was a street FA? I wonder if he was healthy around TC time, surprised he wasn't in a camp somewhere.

KYPack
10-21-2014, 09:27 PM
KC released Jerel Worthy from their PS.

He bounced there after being cut by the Pats.

I doubt he gets another shot, but he's young.

This thread could use a bump.

pbmax
10-21-2014, 10:26 PM
Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 12h 12 hours ago
Giants are working out Alex Green and Felix Jones today, according to sources

Fritz
10-22-2014, 06:52 AM
KC released Jerel Worthy from their PS.

He bounced there after being cut by the Pats.

I doubt he gets another shot, but he's young.

This thread could use a bump.

Man, what happened to him? That TT would trade a fourth to trade up to get him, and he's still young, yet he can't even stay on someone's PS?

What happened to that kid? He was lightning fast off the snap, and seemed pretty strong. What the hell?

Cheesehead Craig
10-22-2014, 09:03 AM
Man, what happened to him? That TT would trade a fourth to trade up to get him, and he's still young, yet he can't even stay on someone's PS?

What happened to that kid? He was lightning fast off the snap, and seemed pretty strong. What the hell?

Had potential. Tore his ACL, just couldn't recover and also had some back issues. Also heard he's a bit lazy.

pbmax
10-25-2014, 05:23 PM
Wes Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 22m22 minutes ago
Former #Packers tight ends Ryan Taylor (Baltimore) and Tom Crabtree (New Orleans) were both released today

KYPack
10-25-2014, 08:55 PM
DE Lawrence Guy (vaguely remember him?) is on the Ravens.

He's been on the PS or roster of 5 NFL teams since 2011

Guiness
10-26-2014, 02:07 AM
DE Lawrence Guy (vaguely remember him?) is on the Ravens.

He's been on the PS or roster of 5 NFL teams since 2011

Ya, I remember him. He was the guy who was just coming on in college, and decided to come out early - then lasted until the 7th round. I saw some interviews with his coaches, and they seemed to be saying if he came out too early.

Fritz
10-26-2014, 08:37 AM
I thought Guy had potential. He was apparently very talented physically, and had good size. But he never did quite develop, but he's made a few dollars. Probably way more than he coulda made doing anything else. So for him, it' s a good career.

pbmax
11-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 10m10 minutes ago
From #Packers 2011 draft, DT Lawrence Guy (7th) with @Ravens; TE Ryan Taylor (7th) with @Browns. LB D.J. Smith (6th) cut 10/14 by @Panthers.

Now, maybe Sherrod somewhere.

pbmax
12-16-2014, 01:04 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 49m49 minutes ago
49ers ad veteran linebacker Desmond Bishop http://wp.me/p14QSB-9EW6

KYPack
12-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Another one of our OLB's who flash in camp guys, Danny Lansanah starts for TB tomorrow.

Carolina_Packer
03-18-2015, 04:54 PM
bump...http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/ravens-re-sign-lawrence-guy/

Didn't he have a concussion issue when he was trying to make it his first year? Too bad he couldn't stick around. I guess we have the next version in Mike Pennel.

pbmax
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2m2 minutes ago
Browns release C Nick McDonald with injury settlement http://wp.me/p14QSB-9Mse

And yet, Greg Bedard is still getting promoted.

pbmax
05-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Mike Sherman is taking a job coaching High School football. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/31/mike-sherman-resurfaces-as-high-school-coach/

But former NFL HC Mike should have heeded former NCAA HC Sherman. If he had, he would have have been serving only one master, not two. And been more successful.

Be Harder On Your Star Players
To become a great team I believe you must push your star players harder than the rest of the team. You cannot concede your principles because you know these players are the ones who will help you win games. Become more demanding of them, not less. The lesser players will respond to this in a positive way because you do not play favorites. The star players will also benefit from this because they will not be thinking they are something they are not. (See Tom Brady – perfect example.)

- See more at: http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/former-texas-am-coach-mike-shermans-letter-to-texas-high-school-coaches#sthash.vWDKmFId.gv30LlmH.dpuf

http://smartfootball.com/grab-bag/former-texas-am-coach-mike-shermans-letter-to-texas-high-school-coaches#sthash.vWDKmFId.gv30LlmH.dpbs

Joemailman
07-31-2015, 06:19 AM
James Jones to sign with Giants. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000505248/article/james-jones-chooses-giants-over-other-offers

Bretsky
07-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeah, no use in trying to do any real assessment of whether that defensive line is gelling at all, or if Quarless really is taking up the slack at TE or if Richard Rodgers is nothing but a training camp flash, or taking a close look at how the defense changes when it's Hayard versus House as the extra back.

No sense in any of that.

Quarless is not even in camp; he's excused for a family emergency....not sure what it means but I don't think it has anything to do with him or his idiocracy

Bretsky
07-31-2015, 07:17 AM

I am having a terribly hard time reading anything in your print with that hot pic !!!

pbmax
08-04-2015, 04:30 PM
Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 6m6 minutes ago
Source: the Lions have claimed DL Jerel Worthy. 2012 second round pick of the Packers was waived by KC on Monday.

Guiness
08-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Source: the Lions have claimed DL Jerel Worthy. 2012 second round pick of the Packers was waived by KC on Monday.

So NE, KC and now the Lions for him. Packers didn't get the conditional pick for trading him either, I assume.

pbmax
08-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Allen Barbre is apparently starting at Guard for the Eagles.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2511711-chip-kelly-and-his-relentless-assault-on-the-status-quo

Fritz
08-05-2015, 08:18 AM

I think they do need some depth, but I wonder if there's not a little of that hometown-boy-gets-a-favor going on. Maybe they're hoping that being back home will somehow help the guy.

Carolina_Packer
08-07-2015, 11:10 PM
Here's one for you. If the Packers had a crystal ball on draft day to see Worthy's future and Russell Wilson's future, they could have selected Wilson instead, and perhaps in the course of playing him in the pre-season 2012, 2013, or during the 2013 stretch when Rodgers was hurt, Wilson could have built up enough interest to have trade partners lined up and the Pack could have parlayed him into draft picks. I know it's ridiculous to think they would have spent that pick on Wilson, but it's interesting to think about what might have been.

pbmax
08-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Be careful Carolina, some Packer fans, who spent too much time envisioning alternate scenarios about the Mandarich draft, still haven't returned to present day.

Guiness
08-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Flynn cut by the Patriots. He's a Packer to the heart, can only play in GB, and was on the NFI because he had a hamstring.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/10/patriots-cut-matt-flynn/

Rutnstrut
08-11-2015, 11:15 AM
Flynn cut by the Patriots. He's a Packer to the heart, can only play in GB, and was on the NFI because he had a hamstring.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/10/patriots-cut-matt-flynn/

From what I have been hearing this has been coming for a few days close to a week, and was no surprise. They also will likely bring him back when the hammy is healed, they just wanted an able body in camp to do some throwing.

pbmax
08-17-2015, 08:24 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/17/d-j-williams-signs-with-washington-after-injuries-at-tight-end/

DJ Williams signs with the Redskins. Probably to play QB.

Joemailman
08-17-2015, 12:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/17/d-j-williams-signs-with-washington-after-injuries-at-tight-end/

DJ Williams signs with the Redskins. Probably to play QB.

Actually, the Indigenous Americans would love to have the Packers TE situation. They've had 2 TE's get hurt and their starter missed 12 games last year.

Carolina_Packer
08-17-2015, 10:28 PM
Be careful Carolina, some Packer fans, who spent too much time envisioning alternate scenarios about the Mandarich draft, still haven't returned to present day.

I'm still not over drafting Rich Campbell over Ronnie Lott in 1981. The Packers were so bad at drafting then.

Guiness
08-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Flynn to the Jets - if he gets healthy, he could end up starting there! Not like he's behind an entrenched started or anything.

pbmax
08-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Forgot to grab the link, but I think Jarius Wynn was placed on an injured list with the Bills.

Yep, injured reserve. http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/buffalo_bills_injury_roundup_updates_on_karlos_wil liams_ty_powell_and_jarius_wyn.html

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2015, 02:03 PM
Flynn to the Jets - if he gets healthy, he could end up starting there! Not like he's behind an entrenched started or anything.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/jets-coach-on-new-qb-matt-flynn-hes-the-only-one-available-1440026273

He also is not guaranteed to win a backup job, he has lingering hammy. The Jets coach certainly offered him a warm welcome in his quote to press.:smile:

Flynn is a mystery. Last preseason the camp watchers said his arm was reinvigorated - throwing with some new zip. Not so much when he played in games. He is only 30, not old for a qb.

Are there really no other vets waiting by phone?

KYPack
08-20-2015, 03:05 PM
http://www.wsj.com/articles/jets-coach-on-new-qb-matt-flynn-hes-the-only-one-available-1440026273

He also is not guaranteed to win a backup job, he has lingering hammy. The Jets coach certainly offered him a warm welcome in his quote to press.:smile:

Flynn is a mystery. Last preseason the camp watchers said his arm was reinvigorated - throwing with some new zip. Not so much when he played in games. He is only 30, not old for a qb.

Are there really no other vets waiting by phone?

Supposedly, choices 2 & 3 were Vick and Rex Grossman(!).

So the answer is no, probably.

Harlan Huckleby
08-20-2015, 03:17 PM
Vick & Rex don't sound so terrible to me.

Chewy said that Craig Nall still has a cannon for an arm; none of the old timers could catch his passes at the flag football game this summer. Maybe Jets should have scouted game.

Guiness
08-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Supposedly, choices 2 & 3 were Vick and Rex Grossman(!).

So the answer is no, probably.

ninja'd, when was the last time you did that old timer?

You forgot Tyler Thigpen and Seneca Wallace. And this guy, who let the team he looks good in green

‏@JaredLorenzen22

Umm @nyjets just saying I already look great in green. #ComingbacktoNYC #ThrowboyTees

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMKdepMUMAAId0k.jpg

pbmax
08-21-2015, 04:58 PM
Red will be heartbroken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
Free agent CB Jarrett Bush, already suspended 4 weeks, was just suspended an additional 10 weeks, source said. Former #Packers CB

Bretsky
08-21-2015, 05:18 PM
I'll be the first on to call it

He'll resign with GB just in time for another Super Bowl Run !!

smuggler
08-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Flynn should have gotten the Tommy John surgery years ago. He'd probably be not terrible if his elbow weren't so chewed up.

Guiness
08-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Red will be heartbroken

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago
Free agent CB Jarrett Bush, already suspended 4 weeks, was just suspended an additional 10 weeks, source said. Former #Packers CB

can I get a big 'ol wtf? out of this?

Dude fall off the wagon or something? Did he ever get in a sniff of trouble before, and all of a sudden he goes to an Italian restaurant and trashes the joint so it looks like something out of Atomic Lobster?

Fritz
08-22-2015, 08:37 AM
I'm still not over drafting Rich Campbell over Ronnie Lott in 1981. The Packers were so bad at drafting then.

There was a story a few years ago in the JSO that suggested Packer scouts really, really loved this Notre Dame kid named Montana, but Bart wanted to show he was da man so he passed on that guy.

KYPack
08-30-2015, 08:05 PM
Sometime TE and full time pain in the ass ST player Brandon Bostick was cut today by the Vikes.

red
08-30-2015, 08:29 PM
Sometime TE and full time pain in the ass ST player Brandon Bostick was cut today by the Vikes.

i said right after he fucked us that he might have just cost himself a career

looks about right getting cut by the queens

Patler
08-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Terrell Manning was released by the Falcons.

smuggler
08-31-2015, 01:59 AM
Terrible Manning... "I'm the best LB in the entire draft!" Rest well. Wish you'd sucked less.

hoosier
08-31-2015, 07:42 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CMKdepMUMAAId0k.jpg

I hear he's still quick on his feet. He might just be the backup LT the Packers are looking for.

TravisWilliams23
08-31-2015, 08:09 AM
There was a story a few years ago in the JSO that suggested Packer scouts really, really loved this Notre Dame kid named Montana, but Bart wanted to show he was da man so he passed on that guy.

I read that story too. Would Montana have become MONTANA on the Packers? Those teams were really, really bad and he was surrounded by good to great players in SF, plus a pretty darn good head coach.

KYPack
09-01-2015, 09:47 AM
Patler and I were discussing WR Jarrett Boykin and how he fell off the cliff for the GBP. That thud you just heard was the Panthers cutting him. Wonder how he had such a negative turnaround in his career?

Carolina_Packer
09-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Looks like DuJuan Harris was cut by the Vikings.

Terrell Manning was just cut by the Falcons.

Patler
09-06-2015, 08:59 AM
It looks like Colin Cole will be entering another NFL season as a member of the Carolina Panthers. 35 years old.

Fritz
09-06-2015, 10:29 AM
Gilbert Brown just signed with the Bears.

Guiness
09-06-2015, 12:36 PM
It looks like Colin Cole will be entering another NFL season as a member of the Carolina Panthers. 35 years old.

Surprising, he was out of the league for at least a season before he came back last year, wasn't he?

Patler
09-06-2015, 12:40 PM
Surprising, he was out of the league for at least a season before he came back last year, wasn't he?

I think he came back two seasons ago, but ya, he was out for a couple years.

smuggler
09-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Gilbert Brown just signed with the Bears.

BLASPHEMER

Patler
09-06-2015, 12:41 PM
Harold Spears signed with the Steelers for their PS.

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Khyri Thornton claimed off waivers by New England.

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Mitchell Henry signed off waivers by Denver.

Harlan Huckleby
09-06-2015, 01:19 PM

He gets Worthy's old locker.

pbmax
09-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Kinda throws water on the idea he was a no talent waste of a pick.

pbmax
09-06-2015, 02:34 PM

Greg Bedard Award For Snark Based On Nothing But An Assumption About Coaching That You Would Excoriate A Fan For Having

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 7m7 minutes ago
DT Khyri Thornton to #Pats off waivers, reunites with ex-So Miss LB J. Collins. If anyone can get Thornton more aggressive, maybe it's BB.

For short, that award is called the GBASBONBAAACTYWEAFH. Or the Lupica.

Fritz
09-06-2015, 02:50 PM
Crickets on Matt Blanchard? And on McGinn's fav, Ed Williams?

As for Retard's comment: Like Belichek got Jerel Worthy all fired up?

smuggler
09-06-2015, 03:07 PM
Thornton's motor was not supposed to be his issue coming out. I just don't think he can play. Doesn't matter if he was a third rounder or a 5th rounder. He made a play here or there, but I'm surprised he was picked up by a 3-4 squad...

Joemailman
09-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Thornton's motor was not supposed to be his issue coming out. I just don't think he can play. Doesn't matter if he was a third rounder or a 5th rounder. He made a play here or there, but I'm surprised he was picked up by a 3-4 squad...

Based on their depth chart, NE isn't a 3-4 team anymore. http://www.patriots.com/schedule-and-stats/depth-chart

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Desmond Bishop released by 49ers.

vince
09-07-2015, 12:40 PM
Desmond Bishop released by 49ers.That can't be a good sign for his career status.

Dude made some big plays during the Super Bowl run.

KYPack
09-07-2015, 02:48 PM
It's funny how some guys are good to see cut, as in, good always hated that sumbitch.

Other players, you are sad to see 'em down on their luck.

Bishop is the latter, he always gave good effort, he just can't run anymore,

Joemailman
09-07-2015, 03:22 PM
WR Adrian Coxson is retiring after suffering severe concussion August 1.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/325432381.html

Coxson, who played college football at Stony Brook, dropped out of practice on Aug. 1 after experiencing dizziness. He was taken to a hospital, and further tests the following day led to the diagnosis of a concussion.

He still experiences headaches and a general foggy feeling more than a month later.

Teamcheez1
09-08-2015, 08:52 AM
WR Adrian Coxson is retiring after suffering severe concussion August 1.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/325432381.html

Coxson, who played college football at Stony Brook, dropped out of practice on Aug. 1 after experiencing dizziness. He was taken to a hospital, and further tests the following day led to the diagnosis of a concussion.

He still experiences headaches and a general foggy feeling more than a month later.

I hope for the best for him. I do think its odd that a camp body that practices for one week is now labeled a Packer (for life) in every article I read.

mraynrand
09-08-2015, 08:55 AM
Bishop is the latter, he always gave good effort, he just can't run anymore,

way too beat up. Has no legs.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27600000/Bishop2-the-alien-films-27653299-500-333.jpg

pbmax
09-08-2015, 11:10 AM
way too beat up. Has no legs.

http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/27600000/Bishop2-the-alien-films-27653299-500-333.jpg

Yeah, but he won't let go when you are about to get sucked into the vacuum of space.

pbmax
09-10-2015, 08:37 AM
On the street again: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-front-line-back-together-again-b99573592z1-326166451.html

Running back Rajion Neal, who was signed to the Miami Dolphins' practice squad after being released by the Packers, saw his second chance come to halt Wednesday. The Dolphins cut Neal and signed former New England tailback Jonas Gray in his place.

smuggler
09-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Danny Lansanah had a decent 2014 for the Bucs and could have an even better 2015.

pbmax
09-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 22m22 minutes ago
With health questions at QB this week, Browns signed former Packers QB Matt Blanchard to their practice squad.

mraynrand
09-15-2015, 09:30 AM
With health questions at QB this week, Browns signed former Packers QB Matt Blanchard to their practice squad.

Guaranteed he will be starting week 16.

Fail for Cardale!

Patler
09-15-2015, 10:06 AM
Jake Stoneburner, on Miami's PS, now signed to regular roster.

Dujuan Harris signed to Saints PS. Hard to believe he still has PS eligibility, but he does.

Smidgeon
09-15-2015, 11:12 AM

Man, he used to be a QB with potential. Too bad he's already at the NFL's elephant graveyard.

Smidgeon
09-15-2015, 04:47 PM
Blackmon continues to be gainfully employed despite being cut by two thirds of the NFL teams over the course of his career:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/washington-signs-will-blackmon-places-duke-ihenacho-on-ir/

Patler
09-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Looks like the dream ends for Will Blackmon. Cut by Seattle.The guy is a survivor. He has been in the league for 8 of the last 9 years and has a Super Bowl ring. He could show up somewhere again this year.

Blackmon continues to be gainfully employed despite being cut by two thirds of the NFL teams over the course of his career:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/09/15/washington-signs-will-blackmon-places-duke-ihenacho-on-ir/

I'm not surprised. Reminds me of an OL the Packers had as a backup a few years ago. His name eludes me right now. But as I recall, he was in his 11th or 12th season having played for almost as many teams. He had started only a handful of games in his career. But he had a well paying job for a dozen years.

smuggler
09-16-2015, 01:12 AM
I'm not surprised. Reminds me of an OL the Packers had as a backup a few years ago. His name eludes me right now. But as I recall, he was in his 11th or 12th season having played for almost as many teams. He had started only a handful of games in his career. But he had a well paying job for a dozen years.

This could be referring to Allen Barbre, Breno Giacominni, or perhaps (most specifically) Jamon Meredith.

Guiness
09-16-2015, 08:03 AM
This could be referring to Allen Barbre, Breno Giacominni, or perhaps (most specifically) Jamon Meredith.

For some reason, the name that immediately came to mind for me was Grey Ruegamer (I had to look up the last name). The most notable thing I remember about him is Favre's comment about how he had to get used to how much the guy sweated, soaking the ball!

Patler
09-16-2015, 10:11 PM

None of those. They were all Packer draft picks. The guy I'm thinking of was signed very late in his career as an injury replacement. I know Meredith came back for a few weeks, but he is still young.

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 12:22 AM
None of those. They were all Packer draft picks. The guy I'm thinking of was signed very late in his career as an injury replacement. I know Meredith came back for a few weeks, but he is still young.

Grey Ruegamer? He played 2000-2008 and had 17 career starts, 11 of those with the Packers in 2004. He only played for 3 different teams though. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RuegGr20.htm

Guiness
09-17-2015, 08:59 AM

Do you remember who it was yet? There's another guy I remember, Irish name, ex-Patriot or Bill? Long time vet signed as an FA but hurt in camp and sued the Packers IIRC. Don't think he played a regular season down.

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 09:39 AM
Do you remember who it was yet? There's another guy I remember, Irish name, ex-Patriot or Bill? Long time vet signed as an FA but hurt in camp and sued the Packers IIRC. Don't think he played a regular season down.

Matt O'Dwyer? http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/ODwyMa20.htm

TT signed him as a free agent in 2005. Was a starter for Jets and Bengals.

My recollection is that Packers didn't play him in the last preseason game because they were going to release him and didn't want him to get hurt.

vince
09-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Nevin McCaskill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevin_McCaskill)?

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 03:28 PM
Nevin McCaskill (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevin_McCaskill)?

That guy is incredible. He's been with about 8 different teams, but apparently never played in a regular season game. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nevin_McCaskill

Patler
09-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Not O'Dwyer, he started 100+ games before coming to GB.
McCaskill was a practice squad guy when the Packers signed him, wasn't he?

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Not O'Dwyer, he started 100+ games before coming to GB.
McCaskill was a practice squad guy when the Packers signed him, wasn't he?

In my opinion, Ruegamer is the closest thing to what you described, except that he only played for 3 different teams. But other than 1 season with the Packers, he only started a handful of games in his 9 year career.

vince
09-17-2015, 03:43 PM
It looks like the Packers were the only team that signed him to their regular season roster, though he never played a down for them - or any of the other 9 teams he's been with at one time or another.

Career history
Buffalo Bills (2007–2008)*
Philadelphia Eagles (2008)*
Green Bay Packers (2008)
New York Jets (2009)*
Miami Dolphins (2009)*
Tennessee Titans (2010)*
Pittsburgh Steelers (2011)*
New York Jets (2011)*
Washington Redskins (2011–2012)*
Tampa Bay Storm (2013)
* Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Patler
09-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Ruegamer's career has ended up that way, but the guy I'm thinking of came to GB real late in his career. Maybe they just brought him in for a look, or something. I remember discussing him on here or elsewhere, and going back and looking at what he made in 10 or 11 years, even at minimum wage, having played in only a very small number of games.

TravisWilliams23
09-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Ruegamer's career has ended up that way, but the guy I'm thinking of came to GB real late in his career. Maybe they just brought him in for a look, or something. I remember discussing him on here or elsewhere, and going back and looking at what he made in 10 or 11 years, even at minimum wage, having played in only a very small number of games.

Wasn't there a lineman named Wilkerson or Wilkinson who filled in during the 96 SB? He was with a few teams before that and he filled in for the Pack and did an OK job?

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Wasn't there a lineman named Wilkerson or Wilkinson who filled in during the 96 SB? He was with a few teams before that and he filled in for the Pack and did an OK job?

Wilkerson had started about 80 games for the Raiders over a number of years. Not the kind of guy Patler is referring to.

Harlan Huckleby
09-17-2015, 07:04 PM
The Cleveland Browns brought in former Packer John Kuhn for a tryout.

Whups! I misread the title - this is a dream I am still pursuing.

Why do you need two fullbacks who play combined less than ten offensive snaps? (I pulled that stat out of my ass, but it's pretty close.)

Well, maybe this is like church. I need to be patient and believe - the truth will be revealed in the end to the faithful. It's a long season.

Joemailman
09-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Are you referring to some guy from the '40's or '50's that only you would remember?

run pMc
09-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Was it Reggie Wells? Thought they brought him in for a cup of coffee. Adrian Klemm? Tony Moll? Honestly, I can't think of any others that actually played in a game.
(Excluding Spitz/Colledge/Whittiker/Giacomini)

RashanGary
09-17-2015, 10:02 PM
Frank zombo is still with the Chiefs apparently

Guiness
09-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Was it Reggie Wells? Thought they brought him in for a cup of coffee. Adrian Klemm? Tony Moll? Honestly, I can't think of any others that actually played in a game.

Pretty sure Moll was a Packer draft choice as well. I'd forgotten about Klemm, he spent one season in GB. Pretty sure he had a few SB rings from his time in NE. No idea who Reggie Wells is!

Patler
09-17-2015, 11:15 PM
Are you referring to some guy from the '40's or '50's that only you would remember?

Maybe! :-)

Patler
09-17-2015, 11:26 PM

I don't think he actually played a game in GB, and he wasn't there very long. Might have been preseason only, or a couple weeks as a backup during the season. Might have just been in for a tryout too, when they had a bunch of injuries. All I remember is that at the time I looked into his background, and he had been in the league for 9, 10, 11 years; something like that. As I recall, he didn't have more than a handful of starts in his career, but seemed to find a home every year.

Sort of a Doug Pederson of offensive linemen.

Fritz
09-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Not a bad gig if you can get it. Never playing in a regular season game means less chance of injury. You could make more as that kind of NFL-scuffler in ten years than I'll make in thirty years.

Guiness
09-18-2015, 12:29 PM
Not a bad gig if you can get it. Never playing in a regular season game means less chance of injury. You could make more as that kind of NFL-scuffler in ten years than I'll make in lifetime.

FIFY

Guiness
09-18-2015, 12:38 PM
Assuming Patler's mythological player was on the 53 and appeared in at least one game, it would be one of these guys. These are all the OL that played for the Packers from 2000-2010 and appeared in less than 10 games.

My spidey-sense is tingling though, and I wouldn't be surprised if Shamrock Fan, who's pulled the wool over our eyes more than once, is snickering as we all run around after this. He's trying to convince us all that there's a Packer FACT he doesn't know and we're supposed to dig it up for him. Hmmm...

Bedell, Brad T Colorado 2004 4
Brooks, Barrett T Kansas State 2002 2
Giacomini, Breno T Louisville 2008 1
Spriggs, Marcus T Houston 2003 2
Walter, Tyson T/G Ohio State 2006 5
Wisne, Jerry T Notre Dame 2002 2
Blackshear, Jeff G Northeast Louisiana 2002 1
Jackson, Alcender G Louisiana State 2002 2
Walter, Tyson T/G Ohio State 2006 5

pbmax
09-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Regardless of who Patler is after, Breno Giacomini is still finding work after Seattle grew tired of his pass blocking lapses. He's on the Jets, where they do not care about the condition of the QB because he usually is just handing off.

Fritz
09-19-2015, 01:42 PM
Bryce Paup and Na'il Diggs just signed with the Bucs.

Patler
09-21-2015, 03:29 PM
Khyri Thornton was cut by New England, and now signed to their practice squad.

KYPack
09-21-2015, 09:43 PM
More in the vein of "pursuing the dream", Matt Flynn will work out for the Cowboys who could use an experienced back-up with Romo down.

pbmax
09-21-2015, 10:32 PM
More in the vein of "pursuing the dream", Matt Flynn will work out for the Cowboys who could use an experienced back-up with Romo down.

Scott Tolzien for Tyron Smith.

hoosier
10-05-2015, 04:07 PM
Matt Hasselbeck started for the first time in three years and pulled out a come-from-behind thriller at home against Jacksonville. He even kept it once on the read-option. I was listening to the radio broadcast with my eight-year-old while doing yard work. In typical eight-year old fashion he wanted to know if Hasslebeck is good or not. The only response I could think of was that he's pretty good as long as you don't actually have to use him.

pbmax
10-07-2015, 05:19 PM
The dream of wearing a windbreaker

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 4h4 hours ago
Ex-#Packers G Mike Wahle just named Dolphins' asst TE coach. He entered coaching in 2015 as team's sports performance asst under Joe Philbin

KYPack
10-07-2015, 09:12 PM
Myles White signed to the Giants roster, completing the mythical James Jones for Myles White trade.

Patler
10-07-2015, 09:26 PM
Khyri Thornton was cut by New England, and now signed to their practice squad.

Thornton has been signed back again to their active roster.

Patler
10-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Garth Gearhart is looking for work, cut from Browns' practice squad.
Brandon Bostick found work, on the Cardinal's practice squad.

George Cumby
10-08-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm surprised Bostick still has PS eligibility.

Patler
10-08-2015, 01:09 PM
Eligibility was expanded a couple years ago. Now, each team can have 2 players with no more than two accrued seasons toward free agency. Bostick had two seasons with the Packers.

Patler
10-27-2015, 09:35 PM
Khyri Thornton was released by N.E. and signed by Detroit.

pbmax
11-08-2015, 10:24 PM
Chris B. Brown ‏@smartfootball 16m16 minutes ago
Not a great look for the left guard Barbre

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/Not_a_great_look_for_the_left_guard_Barbre.gif

Freak Out
11-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Rag doll bitch.

channtheman
11-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Bryce Paup and Na'il Diggs just signed with the Bucs.

Haven't been in this thread in a while but Na'il Diggs is a name I feel I last heard 10 years ago. Maybe my memory is fuzzy, but dang, this insists more research.

Patler
11-09-2015, 08:45 PM
C.J. Wilson was cut by Oakland and signed by Detroit
Garth Gerhart signed by Browns to their practice squad.
Terrell Manning signed to Dolphins PS

Joemailman
11-09-2015, 08:51 PM
Matt Flynn going to sign with Saints. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000576874/article/matt-flynn-signing-with-new-orleans-saints

Freak Out
11-09-2015, 09:20 PM
Going home?

pbmax
11-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Weston Hodkiewicz ‏@WesHod 8h8 hours ago Green Bay, WI
The two other quarterbacks on #Colts' payroll are former #Packers, separated by 15 years:

Matt Hasselbeck (1998-200)

Matt Blanchard (2015)

swede
11-10-2015, 11:05 PM
The dream of wearing a windbreaker

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 4h4 hours ago
Ex-#Packers G Mike Wahle just named Dolphins' asst TE coach. He entered coaching in 2015 as team's sports performance asst under Joe Philbin

Behold the Mike McCarthy coaching tree.

http://www.sistahfriend.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/the-charlie-brown-tree.jpg

Joemailman
11-10-2015, 11:11 PM
Behold the Mike McCarthy coaching tree.

http://www.sistahfriend.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/the-charlie-brown-tree.jpg

You just wait.

http://www.fadaeyat.net/vb/storeimg/img_1386842221_677.jpg

Joemailman
11-11-2015, 09:46 PM
Maybe the opposite of what this thread is about, but Brad Jones has been cut by the Eagles.

Rutnstrut
11-12-2015, 04:29 PM
Maybe the opposite of what this thread is about, but Brad Jones has been cut by the Eagles.

It didn't take them years to realize he is a worthless POS.

mraynrand
11-12-2015, 09:44 PM
It didn't take them years to realize he is a worthless POS.

that's just because they are better than the Packers at everything.

Zool
11-13-2015, 08:12 AM
that's just because they are better than the Packers at everything.

Every team is.

pbmax
11-21-2015, 09:49 AM
John Bonamego ‏@CMUCoachBono 2h2 hours ago
Just informed the TEAM that I am #CANCER FREE @MommaBono & I want to thank everyone for all the prayers & support!

Which reminds me: remember the roughly 28 McGinn articles stating the Packers must have brain damage for not hiring the coach of the Top 10 ST unit from the last five years who was just released by his (now) former team?

Bonamego was just such a hire for Sherman, I believe. His units were barely better than what came before. And I believe he had one year that was the worst of the Sherman tenure.

So the coach matters, but the players matter more.

Patler
12-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Lots of news for former Packers in the past week:

Jumal Rolle - Signed by Baltimore to PS, now signed to active roster.
Larry Pinkard - signed by Oakland (already mentioned in Oakland game thread).
Thomas Gafford - signed by Oakland (they lost their longsnapper last week)
Dujuan Harris - cut by Seattle.

Fritz
12-17-2015, 07:05 AM
John Bonamego ‏@CMUCoachBono 2h2 hours ago
Just informed the TEAM that I am #CANCER FREE @MommaBono & I want to thank everyone for all the prayers & support!

Which reminds me: remember the roughly 28 McGinn articles stating the Packers must have brain damage for not hiring the coach of the Top 10 ST unit from the last five years who was just released by his (now) former team?

Bonamego was just such a hire for Sherman, I believe. His units were barely better than what came before. And I believe he had one year that was the worst of the Sherman tenure.

So the coach matters, but the players matter more.

Well, at least you can say Bonamego's not a cancer in the organization.

mraynrand
12-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Well, at least you can say Bonamego's not a cancer in the organization.

:rs:

I just flew in from Cleveland and boy are my arms tired!
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsB/26255.gif

Patler
12-23-2015, 02:42 PM
Busy week for Dujuan Harris, after getting cut by Seattle he was signed to Ravens practice squad, and a few days later was signed by SF to their active roster.

Jerel Worthy gets a new life, being signed by Buffalo from their practice squad to their regular roster.

pbmax
01-06-2016, 10:22 AM
Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz 34m34 minutes ago
Congratulations to Jarrett Boykin on signing with the @buffalobills. Young, experienced, & talented pro that will help that team in 2016.

Worthy got snaps in Buffalo last weekend.

Striker
01-06-2016, 11:02 AM
Blake Baratz ‏@blakebaratz 34m34 minutes ago
Congratulations to Jarrett Boykin on signing with the @buffalobills. Young, experienced, & talented pro that will help that team in 2016.

Worthy got snaps in Buffalo last weekend.

Boykin career game inc?

pbmax
02-17-2016, 02:27 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 15s15 seconds ago
The #Panthers signed long snapper J.J. Jansen to a 5-year, $5.5M deal, source said. He hasn't missed a snap in… a really long time.

KYPack
02-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Detroit just released CJ Wilson.

He's had a pretty long dream in a lot of different towns.

mraynrand
02-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Detroit just released CJ Wilson.

He's had a pretty long dream in a lot of different towns.

Oh that's right! It's all a dream! Or is it?

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111203162933/simpsons/images/8/84/Treehouse_of_Horror_2.png

pbmax
03-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Lasagna anyone?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Report: Buccaneers won't tender linebacker Danny Lansanah http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZHu

Patler
03-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Lasagna anyone?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3m3 minutes ago
Report: Buccaneers won't tender linebacker Danny Lansanah http://wp.me/p14QSB-9ZHu

He is entering his 9th football season after college, and he will be 31 years old in August. After all that time, he is still a restricted free agent. Now that is perseverance!

Cheesehead Craig
03-03-2016, 07:55 AM
He is entering his 9th football season after college, and he will be 31 years old in August. After all that time, he is still a restricted free agent. Now that is perseverance!

Some people just won't stop until their knees and brains don't function as they should. THEN they can say they were a football player.

Patler
03-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Some people just won't stop until their knees and brains don't function as they should. THEN they can say they were a football player.

On the other hand, he has been a starter the last two seasons, and over the 9 year time period he has earned a couple million dollars and has qualified for an NFL pension at age 55. Not a wasted effort even if he doesn't land a job with another team.

Carolina_Packer
03-03-2016, 11:00 AM
If he must go, I'll kind of miss the lasagna reference. Up there with Fire Slocum for me.

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 03:27 PM

That's correct. The first thing a Scout needs to do in grading a DB is determine his intelligence and instincts to defend the pass. The jump a College DB has to make in the NFL is considerable. He has to have the head and work ethic to be able to play his CB and/or Safety position effectively.

A DB may have the absolute desired height (say over 6'-0") or be shorter and possess an excellent vertical jump and sub 4.5 Sec. 40 speed but if he doesn't have the head for good ball defense skills he'll generally fail in the NFL He has to be able to turn up field quick with the receive and not get horribly beaten a lot to leave the open target.

woodbuck27
03-04-2016, 03:31 PM

Ted Thompson was 'in love with' Brad Jones the:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSYWJdrHd9864DGyBOD8HMzk22nLkoDq kfWT7216LptdoYNw5tJhg

KYPack
03-12-2016, 10:40 AM
Scott Tolzein begins his dream anew in the Circle City, Indianapolis.

They had no back-up for Andrew Luck.

The Colts want Scott to carry the clipboard.

pbmax
03-12-2016, 12:30 PM

The Colts want Scott to carry the clipboard.

It worked with another Badger guy, Jim Sorgi.

Smidgeon
03-22-2016, 05:28 PM
Daryn Colledge signed an 8 year deal with the Army National Guard

pbmax
03-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Daryn Colledge signed an 8 year deal with the Army National Guard

He's going to need his own foxhole.

pbmax
04-06-2016, 07:45 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h2 hours ago
Jets plan to sign WR/KR Jeremy Ross http://wp.me/p14QSB-a19E

Going from Lions to Jets not only intersects with Favre a bit, but I am pretty sure its the mark of a career that is ending.

KYPack
04-06-2016, 09:29 PM
A little off-track, but it involves an ex-Packer I like.

Al Harris was promoted to a higher role in coaching KC's secondary.

I'd like to see Al get a gig in GB, he's my people, if not Packer People.

mraynrand
04-06-2016, 09:36 PM
A little off-track, but it involves an ex-Packer I like.

Al Harris was promoted to a higher role in coaching KC's secondary.

I'd like to see Al get a gig in GB, he's my people, if not Packer People.

I'm guessing the advancement indicates he has learned to teach zone as opposed to just man coverage?

pbmax
04-26-2016, 10:53 AM
Dream deferred.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 23m23 minutes ago
Source tells @SiriusXMNFL & @NFLonFOX that @Bengals are releasing @OfficialAJHawk

Bretsky
04-26-2016, 07:14 PM
It worked with another Badger guy, Jim Sorgi.

Two grossly underperforming Badgers and chokers in big games.

Patler
05-16-2016, 03:24 PM
Former Packer shelved for the 2016 season:

Last week, Ravens cornerback Jumal Rolle tore his Achilles tendon and will miss 2016.

Dirty Sanchez
05-19-2016, 08:56 PM

The Colts want Scott to carry the clipboard.If he looks good in pre season, he'll have a long career as a clipboard carrier behind Luck.

woodbuck27
05-19-2016, 09:02 PM

That sucks for the RAVENS.

Their getting a lot of negative lately.

Patler
06-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Jamari Lattimore signed with the Bills:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/bills-sign-jamari-lattimore/

Fritz
06-02-2016, 11:49 AM

For all the gnashing of teeth here over the release of Jumal (sp?) Rolle, I'd have thought he would have signed a long-term deal with the Oilers already.

Guiness
06-03-2016, 08:23 AM
For all the gnashing of teeth here over the release of Jumal (sp?) Rolle, I'd have thought he would have signed a long-term deal with the Oilers already.

Except that he was released by them last season and now plays for the Ravens?

Harlan Huckleby
06-05-2016, 02:05 AM
Tolzien is gone? No, this must be a mistake. No.
Why was I not consulted?

The kid has that "it" factor.

woodbuck27
06-05-2016, 06:09 AM
Why was I not consulted?

Bad News !

Bad...bad bad news !

Zool
06-06-2016, 08:32 AM
Why was I not consulted?

Oh no! Who will the Packers have to come in and play shitty if Rogers is hurt?

Patler
07-01-2016, 08:19 AM
C.J. Wilson has been signed by New Orleans. Came in as a 7th round draft pick, spent 4 seasons in GB, contributed to a SB win, now looking to have a 7th NFL season. Not bad.

run pMc
07-02-2016, 02:17 PM
Wasn't he the kid who could play run defense well, or was that Jarius Wynn? One of those two were pretty good run stoppers at DE...or so I recall.

pbmax
07-02-2016, 04:41 PM
Wasn't he the kid who could play run defense well, or was that Jarius Wynn? One of those two were pretty good run stoppers at DE...or so I recall.

He was the run defender. Wynn was the smaller, pass rushing potential guy.

Patler
07-02-2016, 08:06 PM
He was the run defender. Wynn was the smaller, pass rushing potential guy.

Yup. Wilson played a lot hist first 2 years in GB, less in year 3 and was often inactive in year 4.

Wilson is also the guy who sat down and played piano in the hotel lobby the night before the SB. Players gathered, sang and just had a good time. The motivational speaker MM brought in to talk to them said they won the SB that night gathered around CJ Wilson playing all sorts of music. JSO had a good story about it:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/piano-man-gets-team-feeling-all-right-ho6ut1e-170864621.html

Patler
08-08-2016, 04:26 AM
Danny Lansanah might not be finished just yet. He was signed by Miami last week.

pbmax
08-10-2016, 08:40 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 47m47 minutes ago
Dolphins release Danny Lansanah, Jacques McClendon

Patler
08-10-2016, 08:58 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 47m47 minutes ago
Dolphins release Danny Lansanah, Jacques McClendon

That didn't last long.

KYPack
08-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Here's a Bud for John Kuhn.

The Saints wanted him for his blitz pick-up.

Hope he gets one more year down there.

Fritz
08-11-2016, 11:54 AM
Ah, KY, Kuhn just wanted a taste of a party town after all those years in little ol' Green Bay. Who could blame him?

Guiness
08-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Ah, KY, Kuhn just wanted a taste of a party town after all those years in little ol' Green Bay. Who could blame him?

Green Bay to New Orleans. Think that'll be a leettle different?

Carolina_Packer
08-12-2016, 11:01 AM

Winning----->>>Losing

ThunderDan
08-12-2016, 12:49 PM

Yes, like it will be 65 and raining on Christmas Eve and the Harrah's Casino will be open. The Harrah's Casino will be one of only a handful of places open on Christmas Day to grab lunch from.

Not that I have personal experience with that or anything.

red
08-12-2016, 03:24 PM
good ole Q finally got suspended for 2 games because of his little gun firing "I'm a man" episode from last summer

Patler
08-12-2016, 03:39 PM
good ole Q finally got suspended for 2 games because of his little gun firing "I'm a man" episode from last summer

Suspended from a job he doesn't seem to have....................

red
08-12-2016, 03:48 PM

yeah, thats pry not gonna help him find one either

i'm personnaly kind of ashamed still that we even kept him last year after that

Patler
08-12-2016, 04:06 PM
yeah, thats pry not gonna help him find one either

i'm personnaly kind of ashamed still that we even kept him last year after that

I have finally accepted that sports teams take the moral position only when:
1.) their roster allows it with insignificant consequence; and/or
2.) the P.R. benefits outweigh the the lack of #1.

Guiness
08-15-2016, 08:33 AM

That changed over the week-end - Quarless to the Lions.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/15/lions-sign-andrew-quarless/

The gun charge might've helped him, in Detroit they probably like that he demonstrated he knows how to use a firearm!

Patler
08-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Cullen Jenkins signed with the Washington Whatever We Should Call 'Ems

pbmax
08-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Cullen Jenkins signed with the Washington Whatever We Should Call 'Ems

Amazing he is still around. He wasn't the most durable guy while here.

gbgary
08-29-2016, 02:02 PM
he's probably worth a b/u b/u spot.

Smidgeon
08-30-2016, 08:18 AM
Lyerla is still pursuing his dream too.

Patler
08-31-2016, 09:04 AM
C.J. Wilson has been signed by New Orleans. Came in as a 7th round draft pick, spent 4 seasons in GB, contributed to a SB win, now looking to have a 7th NFL season. Not bad.

C.J. Wilson was cut yesterday.

Patler
08-31-2016, 09:09 AM
James Jones was released by San Diego.

Patler
09-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Jarrett Boykin was cut by the Bills.

Jamari Lattimore and Jerel Worthy have made the Bills' opening 53 man roster

Patler
09-02-2016, 04:19 PM
Rajion Neal cut by Cleveland.

Guiness
09-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Jarrett Boykin was cut by the Bills.

Jamari Lattimore and Jerel Worthy have made the Bills' opening 53 man roster

Worthy made a roster? Now that surprises me.

Fritz
09-02-2016, 04:26 PM
Jerel Worthy? I wonder if he learned some moves and added some bulk. Or if the Bills just suck.

Guiness
09-02-2016, 04:29 PM
Lyerla is still pursuing his dream too.

He wasn't in a camp, was he? Last I heard he was on an Arena Football league team. Wonder what would have happened if he hadn't hurdled that guy in practice. IIRC he was doing not badly.

Smidgeon
09-02-2016, 05:54 PM
He wasn't in a camp, was he? Last I heard he was on an Arena Football league team. Wonder what would have happened if he hadn't hurdled that guy in practice. IIRC he was doing not badly.

Not in a camp, but recently attested behind a gas station for heroin. Pursuing the dream.