PDA

View Full Version : Giants want Starks?

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-18-2014, 12:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/01/giants_links_packers_rb_james_starks_could_be_big_ blues_contingency_plan.html

I hope not, as when we FINALLY have a running game, competition want to tear it apart. Alas, TT has to be frugal with money so I am guessing Starks is gone, replaced by Harris.

woodbuck27
01-18-2014, 12:43 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/01/giants_links_packers_rb_james_starks_could_be_big_ blues_contingency_plan.html

I hope not, as when we FINALLY have a running game, competition want to tear it apart. Alas, TT has to be frugal with money so I am guessing Starks is gone, replaced by Harris.

Ted Thompson will weigh in on the fact that the Packers did have a solid one - two punch at RB and Lacy - Starks.

He'll decide where that rides inconsideration of any upside and substituting DuJuan Harris and Johnathan Franklin for James Starks.

He'll look at James Starks injury history.

I hope he offers James Starks at least the courtesy of one or both of an $offer$ and "a come back to me please if another NFL team offers more".

If TT and Starks agree on both sides of that equation and James Starks doesn't want out of Green Bay for any personal reason?

There's a chance that James Starks again backs up Eddie Lacy next season.

If that comes to fruition I believe that DuJuan Harris will be released.

My gut feeling:

James Starks has played his last game, at least into the regular 2014 schedule as a Green Bay Packer.

James Starks will walk .... that's my gut feeling

James Starks will pursue happier trails elsewhere in the NFL. Will he land in New York as a GIANT?

See Ben McAdoo.

PACKERS !

pittstang5
01-18-2014, 12:57 PM
Damn, wish we could trade him and get something decent for him now instead waiting till next year. Oh well, he'll be hurt by the 4th game, especially if the Giants don't fix their o-line.

We have Lacy, Franklin and Harris that aren't going anywhere. MM was ridiculously high on Harris and talked like he lost his puppy when Harris went down - so he's gotta be in the mix. Franklin, due to draft status, gets another year, at least, unless he pulls a McMillian.

Kuhn is a FA too. Kuhn maybe back, if not, question is, is anyone out there cheaper or is there a draftable FB/RB that can do what he does and have AR's full confidence? I don't know, but why risk it - pay him, it ain't gonna cost that much.

TT will probably draft a RB in the later rounds or sign a UDFA, most likely sign a UDFA.

Striker
01-18-2014, 02:34 PM

It does go beyond what TT wants, but also what Starks wants. I'm guessing he's hoping to land a starting job somewhere...and with a number of teams with money dealing with underwhelming RBs last season (Cleveland, Arizona, etc), there will be some starting jobs to be won if Starks wants it.

Patler
01-18-2014, 03:14 PM
I can't see anyway that it makes sense from Stark's perspective to sign with the Packers. MM said for weeks and weeks that he wanted to get more carries for Starks and fewer for Lacy, yet it didn't happen unless Lacy was dinged up. Starks must want a place where he feels he can start, or at least legitimately share the carries. This might be his best shot at a big contract, and there has to be someone willing to offer significantly more than GB can pay for a guy who will carry infrequently.

Hopefully, Harris can come back fully recovered. Hopefully, Franklin matures into the pro that people thought he could be. If those things happen, Starks won't be missed.

Starks had a fine season, except that when they needed him the most because Lacy was out with a concussion, Starks too was injured. Starks missed three games this year, even though he didn't get a lot of snaps when he did play.

red
01-18-2014, 03:43 PM
agreed with everything patler

with franklin and harris in the wings i don't see how we can spend money to keep starks when we have so many other holes

pbmax
01-18-2014, 06:22 PM
I agree it doesn't seem to be in his interest to stay, but he offers something Harris and Franklin haven't shown yet. Starks can take those simple zone plays and break them for long gains. He has enough speed to take them deep into territory if not score.

Harris has speed, but he didn't have the same results.

mraynrand
01-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Who cares? He is Injury Prone!

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Who cares? He is Injury Prone!

Maybe but so are Franklin and Harris. I hope they find a way to keep him.

bobblehead
01-18-2014, 11:09 PM
I will forever be a starks fan after he lowered the boom on merricheapshot and then copped attitude.

pbmax
01-19-2014, 09:09 AM
I will forever be a starks fan after he lowered the boom on merricheapshot and then copped attitude.

Things like that make it much easier to gloss over his injuries.

mraynrand
01-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Things like that make it much easier to gloss over his injuries.

Yeah, and the 2010 playoff run. and filling in for Lacy - or anyone else, until Starks gets beat up himself. He's a great competitor and team player. Do not want to lose the Stark Plug.