PDA

View Full Version : DOES THIS MEAN WE'RE SITTING ON OUR ASS AND DOING NOTHING WITH COACHES ????

Bretsky
01-20-2014, 11:15 PM
Calling out the fact men.

I thought the last time we made coaching changes they were made approximately 7-10 days after the season. Does that sound right ? If that's the case it appears the status quo remains

Two comments:

1. I never expected MM to have the stones to replace Dom. And if he did he would have been smart enough to do it right away because DC is a very key coaching position and several very qualifed DC's who da rats would probably have liked to see in Green Bay (such as Ray Horton or Romeo Crennell) are off the board now

2. What the F'ck............MM.........we suck and continue to suck more on special teams..injuries or not....in many key spots during the season....we break down

I lose plenty of respect for MM if he doesn't send Slocum on his way

HarveyWallbangers
01-20-2014, 11:34 PM
I don't get the hate for Slocum. Are people confusing him with Bob Slowik?

red
01-20-2014, 11:45 PM
yup, i'm not surprised one bit

thats why i brought up earlier in the year the idea that maybe we need to get rid of MM

special teams is a massive glaring hole year after year, yet he's too loyal to his friend to fix the problem

mraynrand
01-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Other than miserable teams scuttling coaches, GMs, and entire front offices, where are you guys seeing successful teams dropping coaches in the off season?

Do people understand that this team is one of the 3-5 best since Thompson and Stubby started working together? Even so, they scuttled an entire defensive staff, but that was almost unprecedented. I'm not saying it's all roses, but perhaps perspectives have become totally skewed.

My view is that with the number of injuries, it's virtually impossible to assess some of these performances.

If nothing else, is there some perspective from some successful retired GMs or coaches? - I'm seeing nothing of value in these repetitious, tireless and tiresome rants.

pbmax
01-20-2014, 11:59 PM
I don't get the hate for Slocum. Are people confusing him with Bob Slowik?

He has had a succession of the worst coverage teams and a slightly better selection of return teams (mainly due to Cobb) in his tenure. His best year was 8th with extra-ordinary team health.

He refuses to let his kickers use outside consultants (who might have avoided or interrupted Crosby's epic slide in 2012) when his kickers could clearly benefit from them. (Jon Ryan made it clear how much those coaches can help-though to be fair, in Ryan's case McCarthy and the ST predecessor said no to the consultant)

His has three positive calling cards: Crosby's onside kicks, the tackling of both his kickers and his fakes. But the bread and butter return and coverage teams are awful and consistently so. The team is not talent challenged, so I have seen no coherent explanation of why his units suffer worse from team injuries than other franchises.

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 12:30 AM
The team is not talent challenged, so I have seen no coherent explanation of why his units suffer worse from team injuries than other franchises.

Packers are consistently younger and in too many season, consistently more injured than other teams. Both youth and revolving doors on ST I think have seriously hurt them.

No outside consultant? So remind me how did Crosby end up overcoming his slump?

Fritz
01-21-2014, 06:12 AM
yup, i'm not surprised one bit

thats why i brought up earlier in the year the idea that maybe we need to get rid of MM

special teams is a massive glaring hole year after year, yet he's too loyal to his friend to fix the problem

I liken the situation in Green Bay to that of New England.

You've got a head coach and front office that consistently put a winner on the field. Year after year, due in large part to a great QB, the franchise is in the playoffs. Yet it's been some time since the team has made a SB appearance. The bloom is off the rose.

Yet there are fans and franchises all over the NFL who'd love to have your problem. Teams with revolving doors of coaches and players, teams who try to buy their way in through free agency, teams who move boldly up to draft specific players.

On the other hand, there appear to be teams that have or are passing you up. You wonder if your coach has passed his freshness date, if it's getting stale. But do you really want to blow it all up? Then again, you don't want to fade away, the perpetual good-enough-to-get-in-but-not-good-enough-to-win, like an eighth seed playoff team in the NBA. You don't know if it's the injuries or the arrests that have done you in, or if you just don't have the elite talent.

My belief is that MM and Ted are well aware of the staleness factor, and they have an expiration date in mind. Both have said they've got some plans as to when they'd like to retire, and I don't think it's that far off. I'm guessing two more years. I think that both believe that injuries wrecked this team's chances, not the special teams coaching or the defensive coaching.

In the future we'll all look back on this stretch as some of the halcyon days, but it'd sure be nice to have more than one SB win. We also look back fondly on the Ron Wolf days, but we don't want to be singing his song:

All we are is a fart in the wind...
Farts in the wind....
Green Bay's just a fart in the wind....
Oooooooh.........ooooooooh.........

pittstang5
01-21-2014, 06:44 AM
MM's end of the season presser sealed it for me - Capers isn't going anywhere. Coaches lie or rather bend the truth when they speak, but the way MM gushed over Capers led me to believe that Capers is safe. I've accepted that. Besides, the DC I want already landed in Tenn., so right now I'm ok with Capers just for continuity's sake. Even with that said, if MM decides to dump Capers this late in the game - I'm all for that too. But I don't think that is going to happen, not now anyway.

As for Slocum, I still don't get how the hell this man has a job. MM says he evaluates everything - maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. How can you not look at all the Sp team screw ups and not push blame onto Slocum.

Since Capers doen't seem to be going anywhere, the next thing I'm looking for is for TT to start bringing in some Veteran leadership. I'd like to be optimistic, but I just don't think TT is going to bring anyone in worth a damn at any position. I hope I'm surprised.

oldbutnotdeadyet
01-21-2014, 07:49 AM
We hoped it would happen, we need it to happen, but it ain't gonna happen...

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-21-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm not a big fan of Capers at all, but he has had his good years and bad years. If you want to blame someone for the defense being a mess the last few years blame TT. I'm starting to lose faith in his drafting ability. I hope he proves me wrong.

pbmax
01-21-2014, 09:37 AM
Packers are consistently younger and in too many season, consistently more injured than other teams. Both youth and revolving doors on ST I think have seriously hurt them.

His wife? I have no idea how he fixed it. But given it took time away from the team, my suspicion is that he fixed it without Slocum. He had recovered a bit at the end of the season, but McCarthy had dialed back what he was asking him to do. So whether the problem was alleviated by avoidance or repair is impossible to determine.

Youth and injuries are a part of every special team's situation, even if the Packers are near the top of the list. He needs to adjust what he is trying to accomplish. For example, going from Masthay to Crosby mid-season to get directional kicking when Masthay suddenly wasn't hitting everything out of the back of the end zone was a nice recovery. It should have not been necessary.

If you are always young, always injured, why are you teaching your KO coverage team 2 completely different ways to cover a kick? That is the kind of experiment that is probably best not performed on your perpetually young and injured Packer ST.

After his first year another ST coach called his approach novel and occasionally unsound. Does this strike you as the best approach to guide injured youngsters through learning to play special teams at the NFL level? If he or McCarthy want gimmick plays ahead ahead of boring soundness of plan, then they need to tell Ted they don't want to be as young on ST.

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
His wife? I have no idea how he fixed it. But given it took time away from the team, my suspicion is that he fixed it without Slocum. He had recovered a bit at the end of the season, but McCarthy had dialed back what he was asking him to do. So whether the problem was alleviated by avoidance or repair is impossible to determine.

Youth and injuries are a part of every special team's situation, even if the Packers are near the top of the list. He needs to adjust what he is trying to accomplish. For example, going from Masthay to Crosby mid-season to get directional kicking when Masthay suddenly wasn't hitting everything out of the back of the end zone was a nice recovery. It should have not been necessary.

If you are always young, always injured, why are you teaching your KO coverage team 2 completely different ways to cover a kick? That is the kind of experiment that is probably best not performed on your perpetually young and injured Packer ST.

After his first year another ST coach called his approach novel and occasionally unsound. Does this strike you as the best approach to guide injured youngsters through learning to play special teams at the NFL level? If he or McCarthy want gimmick plays ahead ahead of boring soundness of plan, then they need to tell Ted they don't want to be as young on ST.

Maybe hire Cosby's wife at ST consultant?
Two completely different ways to cover a kick? How radically different are they? Is it really that complicated? Do you have a source for this one, cuz I missed it completely
Who was this 'another ST coach?' Was he any good?
Who is available that is better than Slocum? OK, OK, hire the neighbor's cat - that would be an improvement I guess.

Pugger
01-21-2014, 10:35 AM
If you read NE forums you don't see fans there calling for the heads of coaches when they lose in the playoffs. Their D isn't all that hot but they don't talk about running their DC out of town on a rail.

pbmax
01-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Maybe hire Cosby's wife at ST consultant?
Two completely different ways to cover a kick? How radically different are they? Is it really that complicated? Do you have a source for this one, cuz I missed it completely
Who was this 'another ST coach?' Was he any good?
Who is available that is better than Slocum? OK, OK, hire the neighbor's cat - that would be an improvement I guess.

Completely might be stretching it. But directional kicking and coverage is different than a straight down the middle kickoff because of space limitations on the boundary side, the extra area that contain must hold on the wide side the of the field and the timing. Crosby's directional kicks are higher and shorter than Masthay's bombs. The likelihood of a return goes up because the kick is shorter though its hang time is greater. Space between blockers, return guy and coverage shortens with a shorter, higher kick.

Lane assignments can change because players who use speed to get around blocks in a typical deep kick will, on one side of the field, suddenly have less room and need to hand fight to maintain leverage.

If the players (some young, some new due to injury) haven't seen much of it before, there will be trouble. The Packers had continued problems defending the boundary return, losing containment which is a problem that the kick is meant to eliminate because its encouraging everyone to coverage on that point.

Mike Stock was the other guy, famously growing tired of Ryans long line drives and lack of control and settling for Frost and Kapinos.

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 10:53 AM
His wife? I have no idea how he fixed it. But given it took time away from the team, my suspicion is that he fixed it without Slocum.

Here's the thing that bothers me. Everyone gets on Slocum for ST failures, and that's fine, since he's in charge. But when something gets corrected, it must be someone or something else. A leader should get the credit and the blame, or he gets neither. If neither, then he is Barry Switzer.

red
01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
If you read NE forums you don't see fans there calling for the heads of coaches when they lose in the playoffs. Their D isn't all that hot but they don't talk about running their DC out of town on a rail.

lol

bad timing pugger

i don't know if he was fired, or he quit. but the pats just announced that their LB coach pepper johnson will not be returning to the team

run pMc
01-21-2014, 11:02 AM
I don't understand the M3 hate. He's better than Sherman or Rhodes for sure, and better than others who were out there (e.g., Morningweg, Childress, IIRC) at the time. He's got a good mind for offense, and while he's not the best in-game strategist, he is an above average NFL HC. The Thanksgiving Lions game aside, he didn't lose the team and was able to keep the season from going down the drain without Rodgers. No small feat.
He consistently beats the Bears and has won the division 3 years in a row!
If he quit or was fired his agent's phone would be lighting up in a minute. There's a reason Gruden and Cowher get mentioned every year leading up to Black Monday -- they took teams to the playoffs, and won a SB. McCarthy would get the same treatment, although I think when he's done in GB, he'll walk away for good. (if he's not fired)

Slocum hasn't been great but he's been hampered on ST by injuries. I'd call him average to below average, and the stats bear that out. If they replaced him I wouldn't mind, but I think they'll keep him.

Capers isn't going anywhere.
What I'd like to know is if someone has looked at games from the 2009 and 2010 seasons and compared them to this past year. I assume Capers is running the same scheme, so what else has changed? Have offenses adapted and figured the defense out, or is it the players' failure to understand and execute the defense? Without watching/comparing the different seasons, I'm inclined to think it's more the latter...which means Capers & Co. need to find a way to help the players understand the scheme, and TT needs to find players who can learn and play the defense.

run pMc
01-21-2014, 11:06 AM
lol

bad timing pugger

i don't know if he was fired, or he quit. but the pats just announced that their LB coach pepper johnson will not be returning to the team

Bring him in for an interview. He's an ex-LB who knows the 3-4, and GB has an job opening.

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 11:07 AM
lol

bad timing pugger

He's going to spend more time with his family.

Well, not really. Looks like he is all in for football and just wants an opportunity to advance. He's been passed over for internal rise to DC, and perhaps that's what's going on here. Bill apparently is going to make some changes and they don't involve advancement for Peppers. MM should schedule an interview!

pbmax
01-21-2014, 11:16 AM
Here's the thing that bothers me. Everyone gets on Slocum for ST failures, and that's fine, since he's in charge. But when something gets corrected, it must be someone or something else. A leader should get the credit and the blame, or he gets neither. If neither, then he is Barry Switzer.

Its possible. The comments from both of them have been so generic that it might be impossible to discern. Crosby came into camp kicking well then had a meltdown at Family Night. He recovered almost immediately. The problem about giving credit to Slocum for fixing it is that a significant amount of time passed between the beginning and the end of the downturn.

It also started with the well covered trouble from the right hash that took forever to fix. And it seemed at the time that the fix was possibly part of what went wrong in 2012.

I am willing to give him credit for rescuing his units and keeping their head above water. But the amount of time underwater has to count as well. At least on the autopsy report.

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 11:22 AM
I am willing to give him credit for rescuing his units and keeping their head above water. But the amount of time underwater has to count as well. At least on the autopsy report.

I can accept this. Let's agree on a $100,000 fine and 18 months with 12 months time served.

Fosco33
01-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Gotta wonder if Greene was asked to leave and packers PR put on a good show.

Joemailman
01-21-2014, 01:46 PM

It's possible. However, Greens has a son in high school. Assuming his son plays sports, I can imagine Greene not wanting to miss that. MM said Greene approached him recently about possibly wanting to leave. There would be no real reason for MM to make that up.

Fritz
01-21-2014, 01:47 PM
Funny that we can't seem to take Greene or MM at their word.

But such is the evasive nature of the NFL coach (when asked questions) that this is one of the results.

pbmax
01-21-2014, 01:59 PM

But such is the evasive nature of the NFL coach (when asked questions) that this is one of the results.

Its ultimately the fault of people who leave and are not willing to admit why they are leaving (hello Urban Meyer). They say they are going to spend time with their family which is both true and completely unrelated to circumstances.

hoosier
01-21-2014, 02:24 PM
He has had a succession of the worst coverage teams and a slightly better selection of return teams (mainly due to Cobb) in his tenure. His best year was 8th with extra-ordinary team health.

He refuses to let his kickers use outside consultants (who might have avoided or interrupted Crosby's epic slide in 2012) when his kickers could clearly benefit from them. (Jon Ryan made it clear how much those coaches can help-though to be fair, in Ryan's case McCarthy and the ST predecessor said no to the consultant)

His has three positive calling cards: Crosby's onside kicks, the tackling of both his kickers and his fakes. But the bread and butter return and coverage teams are awful and consistently so. The team is not talent challenged, so I have seen no coherent explanation of why his units suffer worse from team injuries than other franchises.

Overall ST rankings by Gosselin for past three years: 29th (2010), tie for 13th (2011), 12th (2012). They probably took a step back this year with the crappy KO returns by Ross and company, but overall Slocum seems to have fixed the problems that haunted special teams early in McCarthy's tenure: penalties and hemorrhaging yardage on KO returns.

woodbuck27
01-21-2014, 02:39 PM
In the future we'll all look back on this stretch as some of the halcyon days, but it'd sure be nice to have more than one SB win. We also look back fondly on the Ron Wolf days, but we don't want to be singing his song:

All we are is a fart in the wind...
Farts in the wind....
Green Bay's just a fart in the wind....
Oooooooh.........ooooooooh.........

Is that "a lament"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgeJsR7iugA

mraynrand
01-21-2014, 02:54 PM

"We have that question under scrutiny, and if such scrutiny should yield negative, we feel that we must maximize our efforts in that area"

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsS/tve15978-208-207.jpg

"This is a press conference. The last thing I want to do is answer a lot of questions."

red
01-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Overall ST rankings by Gosselin for past three years: 29th (2010), tie for 13th (2011), 12th (2012). They probably took a step back this year with the crappy KO returns by Ross and company, but overall Slocum seems to have fixed the problems that haunted special teams early in McCarthy's tenure: penalties and hemorrhaging yardage on KO returns.

um what team are you watching

because it sure wasn't the packers

we saw a lot of penalties on ST a long with one huge return after the other given up while barely ever reaching the 20 when we try and return a kick

i would have to guess that some of the reasons for out rankings looking so good has to do with our very good punter. he has to be close to leading the nfl in punts down inside the 20. however, when we do allow a return, watch out, cause its cluster fuck time

pbmax
01-21-2014, 04:15 PM

Football Outsiders has it this way:

2013 - 19th
2012 - 18th
2011 - 8th
2010 - 26th
2009 - 32nd
2008 - 19th (I think this was his first year solo after Strock)

Cobb has clearly helped what was the most pathetic set of returners ever seen in a decade long run (after Rossum left) but I am not convinced anything else has changed.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2014, 05:08 PM

Conversely, in the other three years he's had to deal with the most (or close) injuries in the league--which affects special teams.

HarveyWallbangers
01-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Football Outsiders has it this way:

2013 - 19th
2012 - 18th
2011 - 8th
2010 - 26th
2009 - 32nd
2008 - 19th (I think this was his first year solo after Strock)

Cobb has clearly helped what was the most pathetic set of returners ever seen in a decade long run (after Rossum left) but I am not convinced anything else has changed.

Pretty respectable the last few years--considering the injuries. Crosby's FG accuracy (some of the blame to McCarthy) and the lack of a dynamic returner has hurt most of those years. We all like Masthay, but I bet according to the stats he's been below average. His net is great for Green Bay, but pretty ordinary when comparing to punters on teams with generally better weather conditions.

Joemailman
01-21-2014, 05:47 PM
um what team are you watching

because it sure wasn't the packers

we saw a lot of penalties on ST a long with one huge return after the other given up while barely ever reaching the 20 when we try and return a kick

i would have to guess that some of the reasons for out rankings looking so good has to do with our very good punter. he has to be close to leading the nfl in punts down inside the 20. however, when we do allow a return, watch out, cause its cluster fuck time

Masthay's rankings:

26th on kicks downed inside 20
17th in number of fair catches
12th in punts out of bounds
15th in least return yards allowed
21st in net average

His effect on ST rankings is probably pretty moderate.

red
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Masthay's rankings:

21st in net average

huh, i would have thought his numbers were better then that

must be slocums fault somehow

Patler
01-21-2014, 07:32 PM
Masthay's rankings:

21st in net average

Many of the raw punting numbers are kind of meaningless. Some punters had over 90 punts. Masthay had 64. His raw numbers for fair catches, # inside the 20, touchbacks, etc are likely to be lower simply because of so many fewer attempts

Dustin Colquitt tied for most punts inside the 20, with 35. He had 11 touchbacks. In other words, he was successful on 76% of his opportunities (ignoring the times he kicked short of the 20 when he should have been able to get inside the 20). Masthay had 22 inside the 20, and 5 touchbacks. He was successful on 81.5% of his opportunities to pin a team deep. Colquitt had a lot more inside the 20 than Masthay did, but was he really batter at it than Masthay was?

red
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
patler

you're fucking awesome

Bretsky
01-21-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm pretty shocked anybody would defend Slocum; I didn't fault him for the Crosby struggles or give him credit
But to me our coverage units have ranged from sub par to horrid and I recall several games where I'm holding my breath on a kickoff at a key spot only to then watch a huge return. The guy was hardly qualified to coach ST when he was hired and he's still junk. Every team has injuries. Every team deals with injuries at the bottom of their roster. James Campen had a few; the OL was fine. The job os a ST coach requires recycling guys in and out. I'm still shocked

smuggler
01-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Masthay is a tier 2 punter, which is better than we've had since probably Craig Hentrich.

bobblehead
01-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Hired a private consultant behind Slocum's back during the offseason.

bobblehead
01-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Many of the raw punting numbers are kind of meaningless. Some punters had over 90 punts. Masthay had 64. His raw numbers for fair catches, # inside the 20, touchbacks, etc are likely to be lower simply because of so many fewer attempts

Dustin Colquitt tied for most punts inside the 20, with 35. He had 11 touchbacks. In other words, he was successful on 76% of his opportunities (ignoring the times he kicked short of the 20 when he should have been able to get inside the 20). Masthay had 22 inside the 20, and 5 touchbacks. He was successful on 81.5% of his opportunities to pin a team deep. Colquitt had a lot more inside the 20 than Masthay did, but was he really batter at it than Masthay was?

Thus proving that stats are for losers.

Zool
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
http://i.imgur.com/dRzZAjd.jpg

woodbuck27
01-21-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm pretty shocked anybody would defend Slocum; I didn't fault him for the Crosby struggles or give him credit
But to me our coverage units have ranged from sub par to horrid and I recall several games where I'm holding my breath on a kickoff at a key spot only to then watch a huge return. The guy was hardly qualified to coach ST when he was hired and he's still junk. Every team has injuries. Every team deals with injuries at the bottom of their roster. James Campen had a few; the OL was fine. The job os a ST coach requires recycling guys in and out. I'm still shocked

Their not defending Shawn Slocum. Their defending MM's decision to retain Shawn Slocum.

red
01-21-2014, 09:53 PM

here, let me help you out there zool, you seem confused

pbmax
01-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Conversely, in the other three years he's had to deal with the most (or close) injuries in the league--which affects special teams.

I'd be more sanguine about this if I had some evidence he could coach a Top 10 unit more than once a half decade. I am just not sure what his top end is. There is no point in retaining him if 14th is his best on average.

pbmax
01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
Pretty respectable the last few years--considering the injuries. Crosby's FG accuracy (some of the blame to McCarthy) and the lack of a dynamic returner has hurt most of those years. We all like Masthay, but I bet according to the stats he's been below average. His net is great for Green Bay, but pretty ordinary when comparing to punters on teams with generally better weather conditions.

Slocum has to bear some responsibility for Crosby, even if we credit him for the turnaround this year. Crosby had that right hash problem for three years and very soon after he fixes it, the rest of his kicking goes sideways (literally).

Returners have definitely hurt, but even with Cobb he is League average at best.

This year the best unit according to FO was the Punt Return, which means Hyde was at least consistent with mediocre yardage plus a couple big returns. Next best was punting. Worst was KO coverage and second worst was KO return. Those FO special team ranks include adjustments for weather. Green Bay was 18th in weather effects. Crosby was dead middle of the road for the Pack, better than both kick teams, poorer than punt teams.

Pugger
01-22-2014, 12:07 AM
lol

bad timing pugger

Of course I'm talking about what NE fans are saying about the coaches in Patriot forums.

Pugger
01-22-2014, 12:11 AM
I don't understand the M3 hate. He's better than Sherman or Rhodes for sure, and better than others who were out there (e.g., Morningweg, Childress, IIRC) at the time. He's got a good mind for offense, and while he's not the best in-game strategist, he is an above average NFL HC. The Thanksgiving Lions game aside, he didn't lose the team and was able to keep the season from going down the drain without Rodgers. No small feat.
He consistently beats the Bears and has won the division 3 years in a row!
If he quit or was fired his agent's phone would be lighting up in a minute. There's a reason Gruden and Cowher get mentioned every year leading up to Black Monday -- they took teams to the playoffs, and won a SB. McCarthy would get the same treatment, although I think when he's done in GB, he'll walk away for good. (if he's not fired)

Slocum hasn't been great but he's been hampered on ST by injuries. I'd call him average to below average, and the stats bear that out. If they replaced him I wouldn't mind, but I think they'll keep him.

Capers isn't going anywhere.
What I'd like to know is if someone has looked at games from the 2009 and 2010 seasons and compared them to this past year. I assume Capers is running the same scheme, so what else has changed? Have offenses adapted and figured the defense out, or is it the players' failure to understand and execute the defense? Without watching/comparing the different seasons, I'm inclined to think it's more the latter...which means Capers & Co. need to find a way to help the players understand the scheme, and TT needs to find players who can learn and play the defense.

I don't get the M3 hate either. He ain't perfect but he's better than most of them and we've had a lot of success with him running things. He got Favre to play very well in 2007 after a couple of lousy seasons and helped mold Rodgers into the best in the business. We could do a hell of lot worse.

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 05:40 AM
here, let me help you out there zool, you seem confused

Has Mike McCarthy lost weight?

He looks better...less stressed out.

Nothing like a well deserved break.

I've heard of "one giving the shirt off of his back... but... MM takes that to a whole new level.

"What !!? No boxer shorts with a hearts pattern?"

pbmax
01-22-2014, 11:59 AM
We might be getting a coaching shake-up, just not the ones we thought might be likely. If Van Pelt has another year on his deal, M3 can block this.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 46m
Should Mike Pettine get the Browns HC job, I'm told Alex Van Pelt (Pack RB coach) high on his list as Offensive Coordinator candidates

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 39m
That would be huge loss for #Packers MT @JasonLaCanfora: Should Mike Pettine get #Browns HC job I'm told Alex Van Pelt high on his OC list.

Patler
01-22-2014, 12:02 PM
That might explain why Van Pelt hasn't been named the Packer QB coach already. I figured that would come quickly. Maybe Van Pelt has not re-signed just to remain available for something better.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 12:05 PM
As much as I hate to lose guys, I'm betting there's some bright young talents out there who are dying to work with Stubby. And that kind of fresh blood really helps prevent a franchise from getting stale.

Maxie the Taxi
01-22-2014, 12:18 PM
As much as I hate to lose guys, I'm betting there's some bright young talents out there who are dying to work with Stubby. And that kind of fresh blood really helps prevent a franchise from getting stale.

Nothing better than fresh blood...http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2010/09/19/s100920_06-pg-horizontal.JPG

mission
01-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I think it's pretty telling that no other teams have even sniffed an interview with any of our defensive staff.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
I think it's pretty telling that no other teams have even sniffed an interview with any of our defensive staff.

What's more telling are all the yards and scores the defense gave up. Plus the lack of turnovers - I think the Packers got half their turnovers in the Cincinnati game. I think DL coach Trglodite could get a job elsewhere, but I read a rumor somewhere on Packerrats that he enjoys spending time with his family.

BTW, Someone saying they quit to "spend more time with the family" is like saying someone died because their "heart stopped."

MJZiggy
01-22-2014, 06:54 PM
What's more telling are all the yards and scores the defense gave up. Plus the lack of turnovers - I think the Packers got half their turnovers in the Cincinnati game. I think DL coach Trglodite could get a job elsewhere, but I read a rumor somewhere on Packerrats that he enjoys spending time with his family.

BTW, Someone saying they quit to "spend more time with the family" is like saying someone died because their "heart stopped."I dunno, after my dad died, people would ask me what he died of and I would just say "he died of being 86 years old." No one ever questioned it which is good because even though he was in hospice, they have no idea what he died of.

Zool
01-22-2014, 09:06 PM
here, let me help you out there zool, you seem confused]

Didn't want to flood the thread with the giant pic.

run pMc
01-23-2014, 09:00 AM
We might be getting a coaching shake-up, just not the ones we thought might be likely. If Van Pelt has another year on his deal, M3 can block this.

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 46m
Should Mike Pettine get the Browns HC job, I'm told Alex Van Pelt (Pack RB coach) high on his list as Offensive Coordinator candidates

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 39m
That would be huge loss for #Packers MT @JasonLaCanfora: Should Mike Pettine get #Browns HC job I'm told Alex Van Pelt high on his OC list.

I wonder why Wilde thinks it will be a huge loss? I'd think losing McAdoo would be bigger...maybe because Van Pelt is likely to be the next QB coach, and if he leaves they have to go with Plan B?
Doesn't seem like it would be a HUGE loss...agree with rand that there are some talented coaches/assistants who could really bring something to the table.

At a minimum they need a new LB coach and QB coach...I bet they're getting lots of applicants at the Senior Bowl.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 09:08 AM

Hi Fosco33:

I don't believe so Fosco. If it got down to that malarkey. I suspect that Kevin Greene would have upfront told them to go fuck themselves.

He wouldn't have made such a grateful proclamation as he did upon leaving. I believe it was simply a case of Kevin Greene and family desiring a different life than the one Green Bay offered. Just what he told al of us.