PDA

View Full Version : TT Speaks, sort of...

QBME
01-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Classic TT:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/6771/starter-pack-thompson-finally-speaks

Teamcheez1
01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
Even if TT was planning to sign free agents, I would expect him to make the same sort of statements. He is not the type to give any indications of his intentions, although what he said is the way he has been operating now for the last few years.

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 09:02 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/2014-free-agents-green-bay-packers/

2014 Free Agents: Green Bay Packers

Name Pos Age 2013 Team 2014 Team Rating Snaps

Evan Dietrich-Smith C 28 GB UFA 12.1 1073

John Kuhn FB 31 GB UFA 9.6 324

James Starks HB 28 GB UFA 5.6 224

James Jones WR 30 GB UFA 2.9 863

Sam Shields CB 26 GB UFA 0.4 900

Kahlil Bell HB 27 GB UFA 0.0 0

Jamari Lattimore LB 25 GB RFA -0.1 272
C.J. Wilson DI 27 GB UFA -0.9 108
Seneca Wallace QB 34 GB UFA -1.6 58
Robert Francois LB 29 GB UFA -2.0 13
Ryan Pickett DI 34 GB UFA -2.4 499
Johnny Jolly DI 31 GB UFA -2.8 294
Jermichael Finley TE 27 GB UFA -2.8 259

Andrew Quarless TE 25 GB UFA -5.1 704
M.D. Jennings S 26 GB RFA -6.5 809

Marshall Newhouse OT 25 GB UFA -9.7 250

Matt Flynn QB 29 GB UFA -11 401

Mike Neal ED 27 GB UFA -11.9 746

B.J. Raji DI 28 GB UFA -13.6 618

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 09:26 AM
NFL Reporter: So ahhh Ted. What's your plans for the Off Season and well ahhh... are you maybe ...ahhh...taking a different direction in Free Agency this time ..you know considering defense and well the fact that.... that mmmm....the Packers looked horrid on that side of the ball?

Ted Thompson: Haha that's funny. Did the Packer defense look off to you? Well.... I'm guessing so from the tone of that question that's the case.

I need some...ahh ...time ... to ...well think about that.... before ahhh... responding.

Don't you like the Green Bay Packers !? Maybe you don't like me? Don't stand so close if it's my breath. Get that microphone out of my face. Back off...good.

OK... Let's see I'll take a stab at that.

We're you strictly paying attention to all of the Packers games and reviewing any recording of games the following week?

A lot of this stuff is escued you know.

One down week takes awhile to recover. Your checking the stat sites aren't you !!? if ..so...OK you must be..... and that's not too cool.

Stat's are for losers. Are you a loser !? Too into stat's!? (Ted's eyes are bugging out as he stares down this reporter)

Reporter: No Ted I have so much else to do.

Ted Thompson: Well then .....there you go..... your something like me.

We share a busy schedule in common.

Sorry..... but I've got to get out of here. See yaa.

red
01-22-2014, 09:49 AM
i think these guys (TT and m3) have blown so much smoke up each others asses that they believe the sole reason we looked like shit this year was because of injuries

nevermind that that the safeties and ILB's that had one error after another were the guys who were suppose to be starters from day one

nevermind that the offense had massive red zone issues even early in the season when there were no injuries on offense

nevermind that every single year our coverage units on special teams is horrid

everything is fine, no reason for concern

Pugger
01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Even if TT was planning to sign free agents, I would expect him to make the same sort of statements. He is not the type to give any indications of his intentions, although what he said is the way he has been operating now for the last few years.

I don't think I'd want to play poker with that man. :lol:

I don't mind that he keeps things close to the vest. I just hope we have better luck in 2014 keeping these picks of his over the past couple of years HEALTHY. We would have a better gauge on the last couple of drafts if those poor kids could only stay off the trainers table. :sad:

Pugger
01-22-2014, 09:55 AM
i think these guys (TT and m3) have blown so much smoke up each others asses that they believe the sole reason we looked like shit this year was because of injuries

nevermind that that the safeties and ILB's that had one error after another were the guys who were suppose to be starters from day one

nevermind that the offense had massive red zone issues even early in the season when there were no injuries on offense

I will agree our secondary has issues but only at safety. I think our CBs are pretty good. But you don't think injuries hurt the defense and ST? We might not have had a lot of guys on IR but I believe Pickett and Perry were playing hurt, Clay missed half the season really and not having Hayward didn't help.

We do have concerns but I don't think things are as dire as you seem to believe.

red
01-22-2014, 10:03 AM
I will agree our secondary has issues but only at safety. I think our CBs are pretty good. But you don't think injuries hurt the defense and ST? We might not have had a lot of guys on IR but I believe Pickett and Perry were playing hurt, Clay missed half the season really and not having Hayward didn't help.

We do have concerns but I don't think things are as dire as you seem to believe.

how do injuries force our #1 safety to repeatedly blow his assignment when the #1 or #2 cb allow a WR to get past them, thinking the is safety help, only for burnett or jennings to be 20 yards out of position?

how do injuries prevent brad jones or hawk from missing tackles?

how do injuries force burnett to try and help our #1 cb cover a slower receiver on the outside, when the fastest TE in the NFL is lined up one on one with an ILB and running a very obvious streak from the second the ball is snapped?

there were a ton of problems with this team that had absolutely nothing to do with injuries, yet the team is blaming everything so far on injuries

and i don't think things are as rosey as some people on here want to think

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't think I'd want to play poker with that man. :lol:

I don't mind that he keeps things close to the vest. I just hope we have better luck in 2014 keeping these picks of his over the past couple of years HEALTHY. We would have a better gauge on the last couple of drafts if those poor kids could only stay off the trainers table. :sad:

Playing poker with Ted.

Ted might be forever ......simply trying to get him used to the idea that he must ante up.

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 10:29 AM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3nDU5SrU9dcSb40JXhztYKKVNG5sTe 0sagHfI8dugM0XXa97pdA

It's all very very good.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaVQoki3FIqmEbJjaIrKBWzxJf0ZaMy 9FjynQi2aD2-m7YiEW21A

Oaaahh shit !! Wasn't figuring on that !!

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 10:42 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRudO29Cef10QPRmIX7FLKdSAKhiIpTT dAxgwOH9Z_I2XTKJ-KJmw

That Ted Thompson is some tricky.

You can never figure out Ole Ted.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 11:16 AM
how do injuries force burnett to try and help our #1 cb cover a slower receiver on the outside, when the fastest TE in the NFL is lined up one on one with an ILB and running a very obvious streak from the second the ball is snapped?

you'd expect that a #5 pick could cover a TE picked after him in the draft, especially giving a 10 yard cushion, wouldn't you?

smuggler
01-22-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm glad to finally be free of Raji.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 12:07 PM

He finally released you from the cage in his basement?

red
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM
you'd expect that a #5 pick could cover a TE picked after him in the draft, especially giving a 10 yard cushion, wouldn't you?

hey, hawk actually had pretty good coverage on him to be honest. not many guys (LB, CB, or S) could cover him 1v1 on that route. thats why it was important for the safety to be there, which he wasn't

brad jones would have pissed himself at the line of scrimmage and fallen down, but not before taking out one of his own guys

red
01-22-2014, 12:17 PM

don't be so certain yet

ted has proven that his best ability is to greatly overpay for his own mediocre talent

it wouldn't surprise me if raji hits the open market, fines out no one will pay him over 8 million, or even 5 million, then ends up back in GB for 7.5 million a year

thats how ted rolls

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 12:31 PM
hey, hawk actually had pretty good coverage on him to be honest. not many guys (LB, CB, or S) could cover him 1v1 on that route. thats why it was important for the safety to be there, which he wasn't

brad jones would have pissed himself at the line of scrimmage and fallen down, but not before taking out one of his own guys

Hawk had perfect coverage, he just couldn't make a play, just like the rest of his career.

smuggler
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
don't be so certain yet

ted has proven that his best ability is to greatly overpay for his own mediocre talent

it wouldn't surprise me if raji hits the open market, fines out no one will pay him over 8 million, or even 5 million, then ends up back in GB for 7.5 million a year

thats how ted rolls

Fuck that. As for being in a cage in Raji's basement....

God knows he tried, but he was too slow to ever catch me.

Pugger
01-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Most of your post is directed at one position - safety. This has been a real problem since Collins 'retired' and unfortunately that position has been wanting in the past 2 drafts (and it doesn't appear to be all that great this year either). There were a couple of nice safeties in the draft last year but they were long gone by the time we picked. :-( ST is hurt by injuries because our best ST players had to start and we were stuck with real green players in their stead (and those kids starting instead are not as good as the guys they are replacing). Having Slocum running that show doesn't help either. But if we can shore up the safety position, get a better ILBer and hope Datone/Worthy/Neal and our OLBers generate some pass rush that will go a long way towards fixing this defense of ours.

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 07:28 AM
Most of your post is directed at one position - safety. This has been a real problem since Collins 'retired' and unfortunately that position has been wanting in the past 2 drafts (and it doesn't appear to be all that great this year either). There were a couple of nice safeties in the draft last year but they were long gone by the time we picked. :-( ST is hurt by injuries because our best ST players had to start and we were stuck with real green players in their stead (and those kids starting instead are not as good as the guys they are replacing). Having Slocum running that show doesn't help either. But if we can shore up the safety position, get a better ILBer and hope Datone/Worthy/Neal and our OLBers generate some pass rush that will go a long way towards fixing this defense of ours.

You kind of sounds like mm with this; we've had problems with ST year after year after year on coverage but it keeps getting swept aside. We had terrilbe injuries to the OL but we were still decent there.

I agree TT has failed at Safety but I think Eric Reed was the only one gone. Matt Elam, picked about six slots later, was ripe for the picking if we wanted him. TT needs to go and get somebody talented and reliable and stop asking the coaches to make Angus Beef out of Doggy dodoo

Rutnstrut
01-23-2014, 08:17 AM
don't be so certain yet

thats how ted rolls

I really hope not, Raji would be overpaid at 2 million.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 10:59 AM

Let's hope it works out that way.

Your sister/wife would be more effective on the Packers DL.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 11:02 AM
don't be so certain yet

thats how ted rolls

Ted does have difficulty admitting that he's ever made an error even when that error is over the TOP too obvious.

ThunderDan
01-23-2014, 03:54 PM
don't be so certain yet

thats how ted rolls

Red, just take a step back and honestly ask yourself who is TT overpaying?

Hawk was restructured.
Crosby was restructured.
Tramon will mostly likely be restructured.
B Jones might get restructured or cut.
Raji was offer $8M I am sure the offer is much less now.
Gregg Jennings was offered more than the Vikings finally gave him.
Burnett will be given another year to see if he is worth his contract or cut after 2014 season.
James Jones is on the team for a lot less than originally offered by TT when JJ rolled the dice and got a case of the drops.

It is laughable that TT overpays anyone for more than a year on our team. If a player doesn't perform he gets restructured, cut or let go.

red
01-23-2014, 05:02 PM

Hawk was restructured.
Crosby was restructured.
Burnett will be given another year to see if he is worth his contract or cut after 2014 season.
James Jones is on the team for a lot less than originally offered by TT when JJ rolled the dice and got a case of the drops.

It is laughable that TT overpays anyone for more than a year on our team. If a player doesn't perform he gets restructured, cut or let go.

hawk is still overpaid even after the restructure, he's set to be the 8th highest cap number for a ILB next season. is he a top 10 ILB? i'd say no
brad jones contract is just insane
tramon is being paid like a top 5 cb in the nfl. he is not close to a top 5 CB. and there's no guarantee that a player is going to restructure and just give up money.

crosby's contract i'm fine with as long as he doesn't play like he did in 2012

finley was paid like a top 5 TE, he has never come close to playing at that level IMO
the morgan burnett deal is even worse then the brad jones deal because we can't cut burnett for another couple years because the cap hit will be greater then the crazy amount we're going to be overpaying one of the worst starting safeties in the NFL

raji was offered top linemen money even after last season (2012) when it started to become obvious that he wasn't doing anything in our system.

ThunderDan
01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
hawk is still overpaid even after the restructure, he's set to be the 8th highest cap number for a ILB next season. is he a top 10 ILB? i'd say no
tramon is being paid like a top 5 cb in the nfl. he is not close to a top 5 CB. and there's no guarantee that a player is going to restructure and just give up money.

finley was paid like a top 5 TE, he has never come close to playing at that level IMO
the morgan burnett deal is even worse then the brad jones deal because we can't cut burnett for another couple years because the cap hit will be greater then the crazy amount we're going to be overpaying one of the worst starting safeties in the NFL

raji was offered top linemen money even after last season (2012) when it started to become obvious that he wasn't doing anything in our system.

Burnett is the only player I am really worried about. Hopefully getting another S who knows what they are doing will help his play. Cutting him gets a little better after next year.

Raji got the offer said no; I guarantee the offer is no where near what was offered last time.

James Jones did the same thing and came back to the Pack and has way over performed his contract.

Gregg Jennings did the same thing and then couldn't swallow his ego and signed in MINN for less.

I don't remember Hawks contract being that high anymore after the restructure. He probably earned the least per snap on the D as he was healthy and available for every game.

ThunderDan
01-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Also, players are restructured all the time.

On NFL radio they were talking about this. The GM comes into the veteran player and says we really want to keep you but Rookie X has potential and costs millions less than you. If you restructure your contract we will keep you on the roster. He says it happens to at least a couple of players every year per team. No agent or player is going to go to the press about this and the management doesn't either.

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
IMO Brad Jones wins the Captain Obvious award for being paid way too much. The orginal contract for Hawk was a bit high but we needed him to stay at that point. I defended the Finley signing so I'm not going the other way there. I think think Burnett can become a player; he just needs a veteran to get back there and get him into position so he can just play.

Pugger
01-23-2014, 05:52 PM
You kind of sounds like mm with this; we've had problems with ST year after year after year on coverage but it keeps getting swept aside. We had terrilbe injuries to the OL but we were still decent there.

I agree TT has failed at Safety but I think Eric Reed was the only one gone. Matt Elam, picked about six slots later, was ripe for the picking if we wanted him. TT needs to go and get somebody talented and reliable and stop asking the coaches to make Angus Beef out of Doggy dodoo

The other safety gone last year was Kenny Vaccaro. I heard he was playing well before he got hurt for the Saints.

red
01-23-2014, 05:53 PM
hawks cap hits, after the restructure were

5.2 million in 2013 ranking him him at #8 for ILB

his hit next year is 5.1 which will rank around #15. that is before a lot of guys will be restructured

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/2014/cap-hit/inside-linebacker/limit-25/

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 05:55 PM
The other safety gone last year was Kenny Vaccaro. I heard he was playing well before he got hurt for the Saints.

Sorry....you are spot on and right.....and he was having a very nice season. He was playing better than my man Reed...who had a better year than Elam.
In retrospect I'd be happy with any of them.

red
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
IMO Brad Jones wins the Captain Obvious award for being paid way too much. The orginal contract for Hawk was a bit high but we needed him to stay at that point. I defended the Finley signing so I'm not going the other way there. I think think Burnett can become a player; he just needs a veteran to get back there and get him into position so he can just play.

burnett might become a player after we draft a rookie who will be making 1/10th of what burnett does, to show him (burnett) how to play the position. and to make all the big time plays so morgan can go back to looking like his old average self

that doesn't seem right either, does it

also, finley was the second highest paid TE in the league this season.

at no point in his career has he ever strung more then a few plays together that makes you think he is a top 5 or 10 TE. IMO

3irty1
01-23-2014, 05:58 PM

Hawk and Jones are 15th and 18th respectively in cap hit for 2014 and that's without anyone who will be jumping ahead of them during free agency. Its also some flawed logic to think that the Xth highest paid should be the Xth best player as those players on rookie contracts offer value that will never be matched by players who have been signed and resigned.

This fact is the key to why the Packers suck IMO. Now that we've had to pay the piper on all of our elite players, its more important than ever to get production out of the players on our rookie contracts as they are the only good deals in the NFL. But only rookies come with rookie contracts so its the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years of these contracts where you look for these guys to outplay their paycheck. But instead of draft and develop, its been draft and get injured for the Packers. One year of injuries is bad, multiple years in a row not only robs players of their development giving us 3rd and 4th year rookies thereby fucking us out of tons of money. Have the injuries really been that bad? Yes there are. I made this, take a look:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2804p5j.jpg
Ain't that some BULLSHIT???? Keep in mind we were also top 3 in injuries for 2010 and middle of the road in 2011 (although we lost Nick Collins forever).

red
01-23-2014, 06:00 PM

yeah, i never really watched him play this year, but when he got hurt, a lot of the talking heads said it was a massive blow to the team

red
01-23-2014, 06:03 PM
Hawk and Jones are 15th and 18th respectively in cap hit for 2014 and that's without anyone who will be jumping ahead of them during free agency. Its also some flawed logic to think that the Xth highest paid should be the Xth best player as those players on rookie contracts offer value that will never be matched by players who have been signed and resigned.

This fact is the key to why the Packers suck IMO. Now that we've had to pay the piper on all of our elite players, its more important than ever to get production out of the players on our rookie contracts as they are the only good deals in the NFL. But only rookies come with rookie contracts so its the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th years of these contracts where you look for these guys to outplay their paycheck. But instead of draft and develop, its been draft and get injured for the Packers. One year of injuries is bad, multiple years in a row not only robs players of their development giving us 3rd and 4th year rookies thereby fucking us out of tons of money. Have the injuries really been that bad? Yes there are. I made this, take a look:
http://i42.tinypic.com/2804p5j.jpg
Ain't that some BULLSHIT???? Keep in mind we were also top 3 in injuries for 2010 and middle of the road in 2011 (although we lost Nick Collins forever).

great chart 31. i love me a good chat or graph

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 06:17 PM

Hawk was restructured.
Crosby was restructured.

What do you mean... "laughable"... ThunderDan?

Is there much connected to TT and overspending that's "laughable" in terms of looking at his spending habits. we all realize that he has our CAP (or Russ ball ) has our CAP in decent to good shape.

How many shareholders do you imagine are laughing off TT's ridiculous offer to BJ Raji. How do you explain that error ThunderDan.

ILB AJ Hawk hasn't had to rob the Packers kitty from the time he arrived considering his so-so status as an ILB. No it's been way to easy. T has over and over rewarded AJ Hawk as a bottom line. What was he the fifth highest paid Green Bay Packer in 2013.

ILB A.J. Hawk 3/3/2011: Signed a five-year, $33.75 million contract. The deal included an $8 million signing bonus, first-year $1.8 million roster bonus, and a third-year roster bonus of $2.21 million.[/COLOR][/B] Annual $250,000 workout bonuses are available in years two through five. 2014-2015: $2.45 million (+ $800,000 roster bonus),

2016: Free Agent

A.J. Hawk 2013-14 Salary...5,200,000

Look at the sick money that TT, "as the bottom line responsibility" allowed Russ Ball to award Jermichael Finley for what? How do you justify TT and that mad money to Finley ThunderDan?

http://www.sportscity.com/nfl/salaries/green-bay-packers-salaries/

Jermichael Finley 2013 Salary $8,750,000

ILB Brad Jones 20123-14 $2,500,000 and he maybe? ...gets a raise that he doesn't deserve to a cool

$4,000,000 for 2014-15 and for 2-15-16 a raise 4,750,000...unless this contract is restructured by Russ Ball >>>Ted Thompson.

Look at Sam Shields trying to sqeeze more out of TT and he will or he's not returning.

That same goes for BJ Raji who's so clear on the Packers "desperation and Defensive Line"; that he's laughing at TT's way too exorbitant $8 Million $ / year. He knows he can sweat TT. Especially now with Ryan Pickets age (34 years old) and that coupled with the not insignificant injury to Johnny Jolly. Chip in with the contract status of D Mike Neil and CW Wilson as FA'a .

What's "laughable"..... about all the above ThunderDan?

The 'only' people laughing are these Packers that red mentions.

Smidgeon
01-24-2014, 11:15 AM
burnett might become a player after we draft a rookie who will be making 1/10th of what burnett does, to show him (burnett) how to play the position. and to make all the big time plays so morgan can go back to looking like his old average self

that doesn't seem right either, does it

also, finley was the second highest paid TE in the league this season.

at no point in his career has he ever strung more then a few plays together that makes you think he is a top 5 or 10 TE. IMO

I'd argue that the 2009 playoffs and 2010 until he wrecked his knee he WAS playing like a Top 3 or 2 TE. He was downright dominating during that stretch. He just never recovered post injury.

red
01-24-2014, 12:33 PM
I'd argue that the 2009 playoffs and 2010 until he wrecked his knee he WAS playing like a Top 3 or 2 TE. He was downright dominating during that stretch. He just never recovered post injury.

so, a 4 game stretch? out of a 6 year career?

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 12:41 PM

50-60 receptions, 7-800 yards, maybe 5-10 TDs - that's what you're gonna get from him in the Packer offense, assuming you keep throwing to 4-5 wideouts and the running backs.

The thing that bothers me about Finley is that even at the start of 2013, Rodgers was still having to direct him where to line up at times. That's absurd. Finley's easily a top 10 TE, but if he wants to be #1 or 2 elite, he's gotta get his mind right. And now he has to get medically cleared to boot.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Yep. I wouldn't pay Finley. Period. He has had maybe 6-8 good/great games out of a potential 96. If you only perform well 7% of the available time, that is not good enough. He can move on.

denverYooper
01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
Bostick is the future.

The only problem is that the Packers don't seem to want to line up a TE who doesn't really block.

Watch Julius Thomas for the Broncos. That could be Bostick: horrible blocker but a pretty good/fast/big target.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM

Couldn't have said it better.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-24-2014, 01:57 PM
Bostick is the future.

The only problem is that the Packers don't seem to want to line up a TE who doesn't really block.

Watch Julius Thomas for the Broncos. That could be Bostick: horrible blocker but a pretty good/fast/big target.

I seriously hope not. Some good TE options in the draft and I hope we pick one.

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Yep. I wouldn't pay Finley. Period. He has had maybe 6-8 good/great games out of a potential 96. If you only perform well 7% of the available time, that is not good enough. He can move on.

pretty superficial analysis

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Bostick is the future.

cuz then he's not really a TE, just another receiver.

Patler
01-24-2014, 03:10 PM
I don't get the venom towards Brad Jones' contract. You can't have vets and pay them like first contract low round picks. If you want to commit to low money, don't expect to have veterans. I thought Jones contract was very team friendly. $3M guaranteed. Three years at less tban $12M total. Cap-wise, he can be cut at any time. 2013 cap hit less than John Kuhn.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2014, 03:23 PM
pretty superficial analysis

Is it, though? He is always hurt. Always, always, always. Sick of it.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2014, 03:24 PM
I don't get the venom towards Brad Jones' contract. You can't have vets and pay them like first contract low round picks. If you want to commit to low money, don't expect to have veterans. I thought Jones contract was very team friendly. $3M guaranteed. Three years at less tban $12M total. Cap-wise, he can be cut at any time. 2013 cap hit less than John Kuhn.

I think Bradley played pretty well last year. I think the contract is good and fair. Having said that, it seemed like Bradley really regressed this year. Maybe injuries, lack of motivation due to getting some money coming in, or teams studied him on tape and figured out his weaknesses to exploit. Who knows.

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 05:23 PM

Injury Prone!

denverYooper
01-24-2014, 06:46 PM
cuz then he's not really a TE, just another receiver.

I know it. But there is a new wave of TEs who are more like big WRs. The Packers are more interested in their TEs being able to at least look like they're trying to block than other teams, so Bostick should be ready in a year or 2.

Bretsky
01-24-2014, 09:54 PM

Brad Jones has backup talent. He's a 1.5MIL a year guy you give to a decent backup. J.A.G. Jones was paid like the starter he isn't. IMO. I'll take my chances with a rookie or second year player ....if it's up to me......I say goodbye

smuggler
01-25-2014, 02:08 AM
He wasn't quite paid starter money. As others have said, he's better than a guy off the street that you'd have to pay $1mil/year for. He's not quite getting $4-5 mil/year as is the norm for a starting veteran linebacker.

The reality is that IF we had consistent pass rush and/or a legitimate nosetackle, having Brad Jones starting on our team at his current contract would NOT be an issue.

Patler
01-25-2014, 07:12 AM
Brad Jones has backup talent. He's a 1.5MIL a year guy you give to a decent backup. J.A.G. Jones was paid like the starter he isn't. IMO. I'll take my chances with a rookie or second year player ....if it's up to me......I say goodbye

He wasn't quite paid starter money. As others have said, he's better than a guy off the street that you'd have to pay $1mil/year for. He's not quite getting $4-5 mil/year as is the norm for a starting veteran linebacker.

The reality is that IF we had consistent pass rush and/or a legitimate nosetackle, having Brad Jones starting on our team at his current contract would NOT be an issue.

In 2012 he played like a starter, not an elite starter, but a starter none the less. This year he was in and out of the lineup and practice field too much. Unfortunately, this year was his normal type of year.

ThunderDan
01-25-2014, 08:59 AM

But look at his "big" injuries.

Gets hit in the knee with a helmet trying to tackle a defender after an interception. (Bad luck)
Gets drilled in the ear hole while defenseless. (Bad luck)

If it was hamstring after hamstring like Clay his first few years I would be worried. Finley's injuries seem to be being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I am worried the Finley wont be the same after the neck injury.

smuggler
01-25-2014, 01:22 PM
I can't remember who jacked up Finley's knee. Was it Quarless, or Colledge?

Bretsky
01-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Bostick is the future.

I don' t think Bostick is half as gifted as Julius Thomas though.
I can see Bostick functioning as a speed TE though and then GB drafting another reliable TE in the mold of Amaro or CJ from Iowa to team up with him

Bretsky
01-25-2014, 01:58 PM
In 2012 he played like a starter, not an elite starter, but a starter none the less. This year he was in and out of the lineup and practice field too much. Unfortunately, this year was his normal type of year.

I didn't drink the Kool Aid on J.A.G. Jones even in 2012. To me he showed flashes at times and was junk at other times. I have never seen him as a consistent starter who deserves starter money

woodbuck27
01-25-2014, 02:14 PM
I didn't drink the Kool Aid on J.A.G. Jones even in 2012. To me he showed flashes at times and was junk at other times. I have never seen him as a consistent starter who deserves starter money

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Jones_(American_football)

PURE TT and MM Packer.

NFL Draft: 2009 / Round: 7 / Pick: 218 ... Debuted in 2009 for the Green Bay Packers

Career highlights and awards: ONE ... Super Bowl XLV Champion

Statistics "are for fools" statistics from... foolish NFL.Com:

http://www.nfl.com/player/bradjones/2507768/profile

Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2013: Tackles 240 ; Sacks 10.0 ; Interceptions 0 "Since 2009.

Is he still developing?

Bradley Edward "Brad" Jones and Green Bay Packer Final Roster in 2014:

He'll be a decent bet to be back this year as a continuing example of TT and MM's Packer Developmental Program. That PLAYER DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM...I'm informed by deduction "doesn't take a back seat to any other NFL Team". Isn't that what Mike McCarthy told Packer Nation if no one else cares.

Why do I question that!?