PDA

View Full Version : Green Bay Packer Safeties short on playmaking in 2013

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 08:54 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140121/PKR01/301210447/Green-Bay-Packers-safeties-short-on-playmaking-in-2013

Safeties short on playmaking in 2013

Unit did not record an interception this season

Jan. 21, 2014

" “You have to be careful when you look at numbers,” (Darren) Perry said. “If you look at numbers and you use those as a sole measuring stick, you can get fooled. You really have to look with your eyes and be critical of yourself and not get caught up in what the stats say.”

The only problem is, you didn’t need a stat sheet to see the Packers’ safeties just weren’t very good in 2013. A full serving of 17 games was enough to deduce the back end lacked play-making ability. ... "

PACKERS !

denverYooper
01-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Tell me more about this Green Bat

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 09:12 AM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMHZ9vdG4VCwen6O8a-mialoytvfi3cnvYIaLBCcajFnkMw4ss

THANK YOU ! denverYooper !! :-)

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 09:19 AM
Wow! It sounds like we really need to improve at safety! I thought everything was okey-dokey. C'mon Packer rats, where have you been? Gotta keep me informed of these things or I'll take my business to another site.

red
01-22-2014, 09:56 AM
another asshole toeing the company line - "stats are for losers, injuries"

in this case it doesn't work, because the product we all saw with our own eyes was worse then their stat sheet shows

i don't think its a cover up or people not wanting to show their hand, i honestly think the asshole running the show at 1265 are fucking delusional

red
01-22-2014, 10:15 AM
heres a couple of quotes from perry talking about his safeties

“I don’t know if I’d characterize it as struggles,” Perry said. “I mean we just have plays that we just got to make, and we can’t have the missed tackles. And you look at numbers, we haven’t did the final tally, but we’re in the process of doing that now. I think he gave up a nine. ... Given the circumstances, it can’t happen. And if they happen at critical times ... and that’s part of that consistency.”

I think Morgan has made enough plays. Again, can we make more? Absolutely,” Perry said. “Again, that’s where your stats can be misleading, again more than anything else we’ve got to make sure we’re looking at the quality of play because again that’s how you get your turnovers, and that’s how you get your splash plays, as a result of playing with proper technique and the fundamentals.”

jennings wasn't struggling, but he missed a shit ton of tackles, had no int's, only broke up one or 2 passes and had dozens of mental errors

burnett made enough plays, even though you could count the plays he made for the whole season on 1 or 2 fingers

woodbuck27
01-22-2014, 10:36 AM

in this case it doesn't work, because the product we all saw with our own eyes was worse then their stat sheet shows

i don't think its a cover up or people not wanting to show their hand, i honestly think the asshole running the show at 1265 are fucking delusional

When do they find time for the jargon seminars?

Statistics.........Stat's are for losers. Don't weigh in with the statistics. Statistics don't tell the whole story.

Culture ........The culture is constantly changing. or The new "culture" demands.

We're determining a change in the CULTURE.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Packers aren't going to air their dirty laundry in public. You start hanging people out to dry, and you eventually end up with Cleveland.

Cheesehead Craig
01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Another story under the heading "No Shit, Sherlock"

hoosier
01-22-2014, 11:29 AM

The only problem is the Packers are not a company. The balance between PR and dealing with personnel is different from what you would expect to hear from a corporation when its products fail or it makes a mess of the environment. When is the last time you heard a member of an NFL coaching staff say for the record that a particular player or a position group collectively sucks? That seems to be the only thing you want to hear, but it ain't gonna happen.

red
01-22-2014, 12:40 PM
The only problem is the Packers are not a company. The balance between PR and dealing with personnel is different from what you would expect to hear from a corporation when its products fail or it makes a mess of the environment. When is the last time you heard a member of an NFL coaching staff say for the record that a particular player or a position group collectively sucks? That seems to be the only thing you want to hear, but it ain't gonna happen.

say what we all know and what we want to hear

"we had too many mistakes, not acceptable"

to me, thats a whole hell of a lot better then saying

"i thought we looked great. i don't think we had any major problems, but if we did it was because of injuries. i don't see why we shouldn't keep doing the same thing"

and it wouldn't be so much of a problem if this was the first time we've heard this shit coming out of tt/coaches mouths. we hear this ever single time there is a glaring problem, and we've watched as years have gone by without those problems being fixed. IMO we're getting worse in some places, we're not fixing or improving anything.

they can keep saying the same thing, but history has proven, they mean what they say. they think things are just fine

run pMc
01-22-2014, 01:23 PM
jennings wasn't struggling, but he missed a shit ton of tackles, had no int's, only broke up one or 2 passes and had dozens of mental errors

burnett made enough plays, even though you could count the plays he made for the whole season on 1 or 2 fingers

NFL teams aren't run like normal companies...and even the PR for many normal companies is pretty sanitized.
Airing lots of criticisms very publicly at work with your boss or reports looks bad for everyone involved. People get bent out of shape whenever Finley would say anything; it's SOP in the NFL to choose words with the media carefully.

Perry is protecting his safeties and his own coaching career. If Burnett, Jennings, and Perry are back for 2014, they need to be able to work together, not roast each other in the media.
I think Perry's comments, if you read between the lines, indicate that he knows they made too many mistakes and too few plays. I'm sure the safeties are well aware of it. If Burnett and Jennings are the starting safeties next season, something either went very wrong, or they got a hold of Seattle's drugs.

mraynrand
01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
If Burnett and Jennings are the starting safeties next season, something either went very wrong, or they got a hold of Seattle's drugs.

BEAST MODE!

bobblehead
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
I said awhile back that the future of the packers at safety was Richardson/McMillan. I hope I was half right. My point though, was that Burnett doesn't impress me. Like Hawk, he is available. That is his strongest asset.

We need a lot to go right in 2014. We need the draft class of Worthy, Daniels, Hayward, Perry to come on strong. We need Datone to play better. And most importantly we need at least one new safety. Thats a lot of ifs. I am not optimistic about the defense, however, I do think a lot less has to go right to have the same offense we had in 2011.

red
01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I said awhile back that the future of the packers at safety was Richardson/McMillan. I hope I was half right. My point though, was that Burnett doesn't impress me. Like Hawk, he is available. That is his strongest asset.

We need a lot to go right in 2014. We need the draft class of Worthy, Daniels, Hayward, Perry to come on strong. We need Datone to play better. And most importantly we need at least one new safety. Thats a lot of ifs. I am not optimistic about the defense, however, I do think a lot less has to go right to have the same offense we had in 2011.

but can we have that same success on offense with just 2 legit WR's (maybe 3 with boykins), and no real starting quality TE (quarless did fine this year, but he's nothing special)

if cobb and/or jordy go down for any amount of time next season, we might be in serious trouble on that side of the ball too

denverYooper
01-22-2014, 11:08 PM
but can we have that same success on offense with just 2 legit WR's (maybe 3 with boykins), and no real starting quality TE (quarless did fine this year, but he's nothing special)

if cobb and/or jordy go down for any amount of time next season, we might be in serious trouble on that side of the ball too

Until TT trades back into the second for a WR.

call_me_ishmael
01-22-2014, 11:34 PM
The offense will be fine as long as Rodgers is there. They don't need a high pick at receiver. They need defense. If they do defense right, they will certainly be fine at receiver.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-23-2014, 12:32 AM
That's b/c we had no playmaking at all. MD Jennings doesn't belong in the nfl let alone starting. And Morgan Burnett is a waste of money.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 06:43 AM

I see a problem at potential problem @ WR and at @ Center. Do you love Barkley? Are you confident in Bulaga and Sherrod?

Maybe Andrew Quarles leaves in FA? Do we really know what we have behind Eddie Lacy @ RB? Are you totally confident in Franklin and Harris!? James Starks will shop himself hard.

JJ's might leave this season and I do believe he'll look at TTs offer (hopefully he deserves the respect of getting one) but after that he'll shop himself as he deserves to. This may well be James Jones final big payday. I don't imagine that TT will offer him what some other team will spring for his talents. I hope that JJ's back for 2014 but I'm dubious on that one.

The same goes for fellas like:

Sam Shields; ED-S ( TT better ink this guy FAST); James Starks and maybe even Andrew Quarless.

BJ Raji >>>please...SEE YAA ! He's useless in Dom capers Defense unless he's promised Nose Tackle and this hurts to write more than $8 Million$ /Year to stay. Wow ..... that was a struggle to write.

Enjoy him on some other defense ...LOL. That isn't happening much in Green Bay and as that's the case I don't catre about any BJ Raji predictions with some other fortunate organization.

BJ Raji BUSTED in GREEN BAY !

Just another Ted Thompson ... BUST. It is what it is.

PACKERS !

run pMc
01-23-2014, 08:45 AM
Woodbuck,

I'm ok with Barclay as a backup. Not real confident in Bulaga and Sherrod staying healthy for a full 16+, so Barclay and Bahktiari are valueable for their depth and will compete to start.

TE: Quarless can be replaced or signed fairly cheap. I'm starting to think they won't bring Finley back. Bostick will get a long look, but they will need to draft a TE or sign a vet.

WR: If Jones leaves they will need to find another WR to keep that offense chugging along, especially if they don't have a threat at TE. Myles White needs to put on weight but either he or Chris Harper will have to make some kind of developmental jump. Either way, I just don't see them keeping James Jones, Jordy and Cobb on the roster after the 2014-15 season -- they will all want to get paid. If a good WR is available in the draft, I'd be ok with TT taking him and having Edgar Bennett coach him up for the future if not next season.

RB: Starks will shop himself -- and he should -- but GB has Franklin and Harris behind Lacy. They could even give Kahlil Bell a few snaps in a pinch if they bring him back. I'm not too concerned about this position, unless a rash of injuries hit. Between Lacy, Harris and Franklin they should have decent run game.

C: EDS might get some big offers, but I don't know that he will. He's got a little over a year's worth of film and he's not dominant. Still, it only takes one team and if someone signs him away they will need someone besides Tretter. Maybe Greg Van Rot(t)en? Moving Lang to C didn't lead to any disasterous shotgun snaps, but from a stats/production standpoint it's clear the offense suffered by moving him.

DL: Raji should be let go. talented guy, will be really good playing somewhere else for a LOT of money. Miscast in Capers' scheme, skeptical he wants to be here if he turned down 8M/yr. Boyd might be able to take more of his snaps. Wilson is an ok backup and like Quarless can be signed cheap or replaced. Pickett is a maybe, but only if he can be signed cheap. Is Jolly's career threatening? If so he's probably done, else he'd be worth bringing back if the price is right. I think they'll let a few of these guys go and sign/draft at least one new body.

CB: I think Sam Shields has to be signed. Renegotiate Tramon's contract (lower his number, give him another year) if necessary.

S: Not sure if they will move Hyde to Safety -- if they do they will need to get another CB. Either way, they'll want to look at either drafting a S or signing a vet. I'm actually in favor of both: the vet for now to help mentor Burnett, and drafting a guy to develop him and ease him in. Too many rookies, too many rookie mistakes. Too many missed tackles and what look like miscommunications to me. Safety has to be a priority. I think Burnett can be average-to-above-average, but he needs another safety who can help him out more and Jennings isn't that guy. Some have questioned if Burnett's low Wonderlic score suggests he shouldn't be making the calls in the backfield; I'm not really sure because some players don't take the Wonderlic seriously. Either way, I do think that the safeties struggled to play well, nevermind be playmakers. They're a long way from Seattle's safeties, for example.