PDA

View Full Version : M.M.M.D 1.0

Rodgers12
01-22-2014, 11:30 PM
This is "My Mastery Mockery of a Draft," version 1.0, pre-combine and pre-compensatory picks. These are the players Ted Thompson should draft. Granted, not many folks have ever heard of these players. As the draft draws nearer and nearer, however, keep these dudes in mind.

Keep in mind that I hold a Master's in Mock Draft from the Mel Kiper Jr. School of College Football Scouting and Hair Design at the prestigious ESPNU.

Round/Player/Pos/College/Comment

1. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St: 5'8" but a Bob Sanders clone. Runs a 4.5ish 40. Despite diminutive stature, hits like a wrecking ball. Physical as a horny goat. Excellent coverage skills. Unless Ted Thompson trades up, the Packers have no chance at mofo safety Clinton-Dix. Pryor is another tall, slow safety, a la Morgan Burnett.

2. Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford: 6'2", 205 lbs, 4.5 40. This guy would allow the Packers to play Joyner at "free," a la Nick Collins, a la Earl Fucking Thomas. Big, physical and fast. Had 6 picks in 2012; a ballhawk.

3. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut: Lori Nickel would love to interview this guy in a locker room. Tall (6'4") and physical. Not as fast as former Bear great, Brian Urlacher, but a poor man Urlacher nonetheless.

4. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama: 6'6" 252 lbs. A pass blocking OLB with pass rush potentials (7 sacks in 2012). Physical and is a distant relative of Goliath.

5. Kenall James, CB, Maine: 6'0" and runs the 40 in 4.3 seconds. Fast and physical, even at 175 lbs. Needs to add 10 lbs to be even more physical.

6. Howard Jones, OLB, Shepherd: 6'4" 238 lbs, 4.4 40. Nobody knows where the fuck Shepherd is. Would be a 1st round pick if played at Alabama. 35 sacks in 47 games. Fast and physical.

7. Nick Perry, S, Alabama: Has prototypical size (6'1" 212 lbs). 4.55 40. Played in only 2 games in '13 due to injuries. Physical when healthy. Not a ball hawk (O pick in NCAA career) but has ok coverage skills. Better than MD Jenning.

Overview:

Ron Wolf once tailored an entire draft toward stopping former Packer-killa, Randy Moss. Colin Kaepernick currently owns the Packers. "Kap" is a modern day Packer-killa, and he isn't going away for a long time - unlike Moss, whom the Vikings stupidly got rid of. If Thompson is smart, he'd tailor a draft toward stopping Kap by drafting many a-fast and physical defenders.

smuggler
01-23-2014, 12:08 AM
You're missing a 4th and 6th round comp pick.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-23-2014, 12:29 AM
I would rather have Clay Matthews, S, Alabama.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 07:18 AM
Thanks I'll be checking all of those fellas out.

3 X LB and 4 X DB (3 X S and a CB).

Nothing on the DL!? Do you feel comfortable at WR and TE?

See post #2 Smuggler and Round 4 and 6 Compensatory Picks.

mraynrand
01-23-2014, 07:55 AM
I'm betting there are going to be some mighty angry packer rats when Thompson picks offense this draft.

run pMc
01-23-2014, 08:05 AM
I'm betting there are going to be some mighty angry packer rats when Thompson picks offense this draft.

Not me. Well, I guess that depends on who else is left on the board.
They will need to find help at TE and WR (unless they can somehow keep JJ/Jordy/Cobb together past 2014).
Also, if someone throws Scott Wells money at EDS they'll need to find someone to compete with Tretter. Lang isn't a good option.

I expect them to spend at least 2 picks on offense...won't be an all-D draft.

I am very impressed that Hubbard is a distant relative of Goliath...good writeup.

mraynrand
01-23-2014, 08:14 AM
See post #2 Smuggler and Round 4 and 6 Compensatory Picks.

See post #1 "This is "My Mastery Mockery of a Draft," version 1.0, pre-combine and pre-compensatory picks."

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
See post #1 "This is "My Mastery Mockery of a Draft," version 1.0, pre-combine and pre-compensatory picks."

What are you doing to at least try to help focus us somewhat on the DRAFT 'M' ? Have you tried studying the prospects and come up empty? Don't you see a thing in this draft class?

Rodgers12 has expended some effort to believe he has.

The Off Season is NOW. FA and the DRAFT is what we direct our attention to or focus on as Packer fans.

Is your criticism encouraging...anything lending to a +ve here ?

Don't you have "any better game"?

Show us that you have more game. If you do !??

red
01-23-2014, 08:50 AM

well keep in mind that this "draft and develop" is suppose to be drafting guys and developing them for the future. i don't know if we can ignore the offensive side of the ball again like we did in 2012

after this season we have some big time free agents on offense, and we probably won't be resigning them all

denverYooper
01-23-2014, 09:10 AM
3 Safeties, LOL.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 09:11 AM
well keep in mind that this "draft and develop" is suppose to be drafting guys and developing them for the future. i don't know if we can ignore the offensive side of the ball again like we did in 2012

after this season we have some big time free agents on offense, and we probably won't be resigning them all

TT has to look at the OL and at WR. He has to also consider our TE situation after Andrew Quarless opts in or out.

denverYooper
01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
I would rather have Clay Matthews, S, Alabama.

Better interview his hamstrings first.

denverYooper
01-23-2014, 09:13 AM
TT has to look at the OL and at WR. He has to also consider our TE situation after Andrew Quarless opts in or out.

Quarless will be back. He has a place in GB's offense as a solid #2 TE.

SkinBasket
01-23-2014, 09:39 AM
What are you doing to at least try to help focus us somewhat on the DRAFT 'M' ? Have you tried studying the prospects and come up empty? Don't you see a thing in this draft class?

Rodgers12 has expended some effort to believe he has.

The Off Season is NOW. FA and the DRAFT is what we direct our attention to or focus on as Packer fans.

Is your criticism encouraging...anything lending to a +ve here ?

Don't you have "any better game"?

Show us that you have more game. If you do !??

And how are you contributing by judging the contributions of others?

Stop being such an asshole. rand simply pointed out what you were too lazy or stupid or busy ctrl-C'ing to read. You're a terrible person.

On topic: drafting Lamarcus Joyner would be stupid. We need a short "hard hitting" safety, especially in this division, like we need another Atari Bigby. The physical limitations WILL be magnified, exploited, and maybe even mocked, and the NFL is trying to eliminate hard hits coming from the secondary. In short Joyner will translate to an oft-penalized, oft-beaten umpa lumpa, which, while entertaining, will not help this defense.

mraynrand
01-23-2014, 10:18 AM

It wouldn't surprise me to see TT draft 3 skill players on the offense; really need a WR who can return kicks for a year or two and them move into the #3 or #2 spot.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 10:56 AM
And how are you contributing by judging the contributions of others?

Stop being such an asshole. rand simply pointed out what you were too lazy or stupid or busy ctrl-C'ing to read. You're a terrible person.

On topic: drafting Lamarcus Joyner would be stupid. We need a short "hard hitting" safety, especially in this division, like we need another Atari Bigby. The physical limitations WILL be magnified, exploited, and maybe even mocked, and the NFL is trying to eliminate hard hits coming from the secondary. In short Joyner will translate to an oft-penalized, oft-beaten umpa lumpa, which, while entertaining, will not help this defense.

Your judging me as a terrible person.

I'm devasted. ;-)

mraynrand
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm devasted.

One can hope

Urban Dictionary: devasted - can be used as a synomyn to "poof." Means to disappear suddenly without explanation.

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I'm careful to not curse players this early..........but............I'd be pretty happy if TT got the #1 TE in the draft or the #2 safety with that pick.
I think Chris Borland might be Zach Thomas as well. I'll take that in Green Bay. He was the second best LB in the State of Wisconsin last year.

woodbuck27
01-23-2014, 06:33 PM
One can hope

Urban Dictionary: devasted - can be used as a synomyn to "poof." Means to disappear suddenly without explanation.

Should I be complimented that you seem somehow distracted by me? What you feel has never offered much to impress me mraynrand. That's NOT changing.

Any issue you have with me is 110% your issue. Inside of "YOU" mraynrand or what's so clearly demonstrated as rotten in you little man.

Rodgers12
01-23-2014, 09:20 PM

Joyner is the complete safety. Can cover very well. Can blitz very well. Not afraid to hit. Excellent special teams player. Plus, dude's the only safety in this draft class that can outrun Kaepernick.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C-Iaa_uusU

Rodgers12
01-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Btw, Joyner will run 4.3 at the combine. You read it here first.

Check out the breakaway speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLatt1gV98

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 09:56 PM
TT already has a bias for bigger safeties. And in a division where we have Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffries...all giants....I'd be shocked if TT considered Joyner

Rodgers12
01-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Nothing on the DL!? Do you feel comfortable at WR and TE?

There's some depth at the end positions in Datone Jones, Worthy, Neal, Daniels and maybe Jolly. As for defensive tackles, the Packers might as well play offensive linemen there. Raji, Pickett and the other DTs had problems eating offensive linemen last season, although it should be noted that Hawk and Brad Jones sucked.

Enough with fat guys! :)

Rodgers12
01-23-2014, 10:30 PM
TT already has a bias for bigger safeties. And in a division where we have Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Alshon Jeffries...all giants....I'd be shocked if TT considered Joyner

Sure, Ron Wolf is long retired, but "midgetry," the hatred or intolerance of short people, is still alive in some places. DuJuan Harris' signing may have opened up Thompson's mind a bit.

Seriously, some of the finest safeties in the NFL in the past decade are/were under 6'. Collins, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Earl Thomas.

Thompson needs to think outside the box. Joyner will be an awesome NFL FS, APRH. The guy can cover. The same can't be said about a lot of the fraudulent safeties in the league today.

Guiness
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
Joyner is the complete safety. Can cover very well. Can blitz very well. Not afraid to hit. Excellent special teams player. Plus, dude's the only safety in this draft class that can outrun Kaepernick.

Check this out:

Jesus he's small.

Not liking a lot of what I see there. Too many 'guided missile' hits, and since there isn't tackle practice in the NFL will he ever learn to tackle properly? The Bob Sanders comparison might be apt, but how long did he last in the NFL, and how many of those seasons did he play all of?

Damn, he is fast and can jump though. Shit you can't teach. Maybe it's enough, although I really don't see him as a first rounder.

SkinBasket
01-24-2014, 07:31 AM
Not liking a lot of what I see there. Too many 'guided missile' hits, and since there isn't tackle practice in the NFL will he ever learn to tackle properly?

My thoughts exactly. A shorter, faster Atari Bigby.

Sure he can jump, he is black after all, but I would rather have a guy who's intercepting the ball on his feet, not desperately leaping to tip it away.

3irty1
01-24-2014, 08:49 AM
Joyner seems woefully short for a Ted Thompson safety. I'm not going to be so ignorant to say he's not on Ted's board but he would have to fall far enough to represent a value that Ted can't pass up. Ed Reynolds is a lot more likely to be a Packer IMO but I really hope not. He is great at jumping routes but has AJ Hawks hips which makes him look stupid in man coverage and even stupider in open field situations with ball carriers.

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
Joyner... has AJ Hawks hips.

but does he have Bette Davis eyes?

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 09:01 AM
My thoughts exactly. A shorter, faster Atari Bigby.

BIG HITS!!

SkinBasket
01-24-2014, 09:48 AM
BIG HITZ!!!

Cheesehead Craig
01-24-2014, 10:18 AM
Doesn't he have to have flowing dreds in order to be in the Packers secondary? That alone disqualifies him.

red
01-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Sure, Ron Wolf is long retired, but "midgetry," the hatred or intolerance of short people, is still alive in some places. DuJuan Harris' signing may have opened up Thompson's mind a bit.

Seriously, some of the finest safeties in the NFL in the past decade are/were under 6'. Collins, Ed Reed, Bob Sanders, Earl Thomas.

Thompson needs to think outside the box. Joyner will be an awesome NFL FS, APRH. The guy can cover. The same can't be said about a lot of the fraudulent safeties in the league today.

there's a big difference with the guys that are just under 6' and a guy thats 5'8

and the to have to go up against guys that are 6'4-6'5 like we have all over the NFCN?

no thanks

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 12:44 PM
This discussion is bringing back all those good old memories of Buckley defending Irvin and Harper, is it not?

Guiness
01-24-2014, 01:14 PM
This discussion is bringing back all those good old memories of Buckley defending Irvin and Harper, is it not?

It does, but of course it could also turn out like Tyrann Devin who is looking like a pretty damn good pickup.

call_me_ishmael
01-24-2014, 01:44 PM
No way do they draft a hobbit, period. 5'8". Woof. Hell no. Not even as an UDFA.

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 02:54 PM
It does, but of course it could also turn out like Tyrann Devin who is looking like a pretty damn good pickup.

ya, you pick guys who can play and put them in the right circumstances. Buckley ended up with a nice career once DCs realized you shouldn't put him in man coverage against huge receivers.

Rodgers12
01-24-2014, 08:08 PM
No way do they draft a hobbit, period. 5'8". Woof. Hell no. Not even as an UDFA.

Burnett is 6'1". Richardson, 6'2". Aaron Rouse was 6'4". Those guys can't cover, can't blitz and can't tackle worth a lick.

Earl Thomas is more like 5'9" if you take away the dreads, and he's the best safety in the NFL.

pbmax
01-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Burnett is 6'1". Richardson, 6'2". Aaron Rouse was 6'4". Those guys can't cover, can't blitz and can't tackle worth a lick.

Earl Thomas is more like 5'9" if you take away the dreads, and he's the best safety in the NFL.

Tackling has nothing to do with height. Richardson is the best tackler in the secondary and he is the tallest. He might have shortfalls elsewhere, but tackling/height is not one of them.

Rodgers12
01-24-2014, 08:19 PM
Joyner seems woefully short for a Ted Thompson safety. I'm not going to be so ignorant to say he's not on Ted's board but he would have to fall far enough to represent a value that Ted can't pass up. Ed Reynolds is a lot more likely to be a Packer IMO but I really hope not. He is great at jumping routes but has AJ Hawks hips which makes him look stupid in man coverage and even stupider in open field situations with ball carriers.

AJ Hawk hips? WTF?

Reynolds has the potential to be a very good "strong" safety. The guy's a Harrison Smith clone, the guy Thompson should've drafted in 2012 instead of Perry.

Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFc1S6kdtI

Rodgers12
01-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Tackling has nothing to do with height. Richardson is the best tackler in the secondary and he is the tallest. He might have shortfalls elsewhere, but tackling/height is not one of them.

Richardson is slow as a sloth. He definitely cannot cover. Missed his shares of tackles last season; looked average at best tackling to me.

Rodgers12
01-24-2014, 08:46 PM
there's a big difference with the guys that are just under 6' and a guy thats 5'8

and the to have to go up against guys that are 6'4-6'5 like we have all over the NFCN?

no thanks

Joyner doesn't have to cover tall recievers/TEs. Capers could use Joyner like he did with Collins (and like the Seahawks are now doing with Thomas): Let the guy roam the middle of the field and all over the place. In man coverage, Joyner likely would be covering short slot receivers anyway on fake blitzes.

Note that I also advocate drafting another safety, Ed Reynolds. Dude can cover and cover TEs.

Bretsky
01-24-2014, 09:50 PM
First off....thanks for having the stones to post this. It's an awesome mock draft and gives all of us time to learn about players we might not have known about otherwise.
Overall I like the draft.........minus the 1st round pick.........it'd be awesome if you hit on a few of them. I did a mock last year...will this year as well....and of course...I hit on no picks :)

BTW..............the homer in me really wishes you would have inserted Badger ILB Borland as our third round pick. After all, he was the second best LB in Wisconsin last year..:)

woodbuck27
01-24-2014, 10:21 PM

A hobbit...in the Packers defensive backfield.

That's funny. :-) X10. Good one !

Anti-Polar Bear
03-07-2018, 03:34 AM
This is "My Mastery Mockery of a Draft," version 1.0, pre-combine and pre-compensatory picks. These are the players Ted Thompson should draft. Granted, not many folks have ever heard of these players. As the draft draws nearer and nearer, however, keep these dudes in mind.

Keep in mind that I hold a Master's in Mock Draft from the Mel Kiper Jr. School of College Football Scouting and Hair Design at the prestigious ESPNU.

1. Lamarcus Joyner, S, Florida St: 5'8" but a Bob Sanders clone. Runs a 4.5ish 40. Despite diminutive stature, hits like a wrecking ball. Physical as a horny goat. Excellent coverage skills. Unless Ted Thompson trades up, the Packers have no chance at mofo safety Clinton-Dix. Pryor is another tall, slow safety, a la Morgan Burnett.

2. Ed Reynolds, S, Stanford: 6'2", 205 lbs, 4.5 40. This guy would allow the Packers to play Joyner at "free," a la Nick Collins, a la Earl Fucking Thomas. Big, physical and fast. Had 6 picks in 2012; a ballhawk.

3. Yawin Smallwood, ILB, Connecticut: Lori Nickel would love to interview this guy in a locker room. Tall (6'4") and physical. Not as fast as former Bear great, Brian Urlacher, but a poor man Urlacher nonetheless.

4. Adrian Hubbard, OLB, Alabama: 6'6" 252 lbs. A pass blocking OLB with pass rush potentials (7 sacks in 2012). Physical and is a distant relative of Goliath.

5. Kenall James, CB, Maine: 6'0" and runs the 40 in 4.3 seconds. Fast and physical, even at 175 lbs. Needs to add 10 lbs to be even more physical.

6. Howard Jones, OLB, Shepherd: 6'4" 238 lbs, 4.4 40. Nobody knows where the fuck Shepherd is. Would be a 1st round pick if played at Alabama. 35 sacks in 47 games. Fast and physical.

7. Nick Perry, S, Alabama: Has prototypical size (6'1" 212 lbs). 4.55 40. Played in only 2 games in '13 due to injuries. Physical when healthy. Not a ball hawk (O pick in NCAA career) but has ok coverage skills. Better than MD Jenning.

Overview:

Ron Wolf once tailored an entire draft toward stopping former Packer-killa, Randy Moss. Colin Kaepernick currently owns the Packers. "Kap" is a modern day Packer-killa, and he isn't going away for a long time - unlike Moss, whom the Vikings stupidly got rid of. If Thompson is smart, he'd tailor a draft toward stopping Kap by drafting many a-fast and physical defenders.

Told y’all Todd shoulda drafted Joyner. :)

Anti-Polar Bear
03-07-2018, 11:22 AM
I know, Joyner was a drama queen on Hard Knocks. Dude threatened to quit football and go work at Walmart after Fisher and Williams refused to start him. But...., per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22667577/los-angeles-rams-place-their-franchise-tag-lamarcus-joyner

[Joyner] excelled when given a chance to play safety under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017....Earned the third-highest grade among safeties by Pro Football Focus, finishing with three interceptions...Allowed a 31.8 passer rating when targeted and 0.36 yards per coverage snaps, ranked 12th among 59 safeties, according to Pro Football Focus...Was one of only two safeties to not miss a tackle in the passing game, and he also covered slot receivers when needed...Is an aggressive hitter with great ball skills.

Meanwhile in Green Bay, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has morphed into an abomination.

bobblehead
03-07-2018, 11:47 AM
That was some guy named rodgers12 and since I know you wouldn't have multiple accounts as thats a violation you told us nothing.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 12:21 PM
" I know, Joyner was a drama queen on Hard Knocks. Dude threatened to quit football and go work at Walmart after Fisher and Williams refused to start him. But...., per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...amarcus-joyner

[Joyner] excelled when given a chance to play safety under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips in 2017....Earned the third-highest grade among safeties by Pro Football Focus, finishing with three interceptions...Allowed a 31.8 passer rating when targeted and 0.36 yards per coverage snaps, ranked 12th among 59 safeties, according to Pro Football Focus...Was one of only two safeties to not miss a tackle in the passing game, and he also covered slot receivers when needed...Is an aggressive hitter with great ball skills.
Meanwhile in Green Bay, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix has morphed into an abomination..."

Nice Follow-up.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 12:24 PM
That was some guy named rodgers12 and since I know you wouldn't have multiple accounts as thats a violation you told us nothing.

No !

He told us he has an excellent sense of humour. :-)

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 12:33 PM
This Thread is a Classic.

HarveyWallbangers
03-07-2018, 12:58 PM

Overview:

What a terrible draft this would have been.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 01:08 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919753/article/rams-place-tag-lamarcus-joyner-watkins-set-to-be-fa

Rams place the non-exclusive franchise tag on S Lamarcus Joyner; while, WR Sammy Watkins set to be a FA

he safety tag number sits at $11.29 million for one season. Sides have until July 16 to hammer out a potential multi-year deal.

" The expectation for weeks had been that the Rams prioritized franchising Joyner over free-agent-to-be Sammy Watkins. L.A. had hoped to get a long-term deal done with one in advance of Tuesday's tag deadline to free the tender for the other, but a pact couldn't be struck in time."

By: Kevin Patra ...Around the NFL writer

Published: March 6, 2018 at 01:12 p.m. Updated: March 6, 2018 at 03:56 p.m.

woodbuck27
03-07-2018, 01:12 PM
What a terrible draft this would have been.

Looking at one positive and Rodgers12's Mock:

How many TT 1st Round Picks received the non-exclusive franchise tag?