PDA

View Full Version : FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK ENDORSEMENTS

Bretsky
01-23-2014, 10:59 PM
OK...consider yourself this the spot to PIMP your Draft endorsements/highlights. At this point I have two in my wishlist.

This one might not be overpopopular...GB need defense......but wow.......this pick has TT pick written all over it

Think Antonio Gates; that is what you are getting with this guy

Look at the way this guy catches the ball and runs after the catch and breaks away after the catch; look at the way he goes up over the DB's for the ball and makes plays

He's the modern day TE and getting an elite talent at #21 would be awesome

MEET THE BEAST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrYd2WL8DrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIBAoPiWJ0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wr_37XsVCA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfznL8SqDkA

mraynrand
01-23-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm sure there's some assignment-sure, team-leader, rock-solid type ILB, who can't make a play, available instead.

call_me_ishmael
01-23-2014, 11:35 PM
That guy does look freakishly atheltic. I'd be game. BPA makes a lot of sense for keeping the window open longer. Bottom line - we need more good players on the team. I would prefer they come on defense but filling out the roster in general is a good thing.

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 12:12 AM
I'd prefer a guy who is great at relaying signals from the sidelines

packrulz
01-24-2014, 04:29 AM
I think in the first round take the BPA, Ebron would be a consideration. Worry about filling needs on later picks.

Joemailman
01-24-2014, 06:03 AM
I'd be fine with Ebron if he were available. But he won't be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he does a Vern0n-Davis-type jump up the draft boards after the Combine.

denverYooper
01-24-2014, 08:45 AM
I'm sure there's some assignment-sure, team-leader, rock-solid type ILB, who can't make a play, available instead.

Lol. Is he going to be a split second late covering Ebron in the playoffs 7 years from now?

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 09:17 AM
Lol. Is he going to be a split second late covering Ebron in the playoffs 7 years from now?

Count on it. The coverage will be decent, but given he has "AJ Hawk hips" the play on the ball will be very poor.

denverYooper
01-24-2014, 09:40 AM
Count on it. The coverage will be decent, but given he has "AJ Hawk hips" the play on the ball will be very poor.

Thus prompting round 12 of the "Capers coaching vs personnel" debate...

red
01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
i'd be fine going with ebron if he is still there IF ha ha, pryor and mosely are all off the board

and ebron might be the only TE i'm interested with in the 1st round right now. i'm just not sure amaro, and ajs or whatever his initials are, would be that much better then the 2nd tier guys you can get in round 2 or 3

and at this point, i'm not sold or excited at all about any of the d-linemen that are being mocked for us

mraynrand
01-24-2014, 11:02 AM
i'm not sold or excited at all about any of the d-linemen that are being mocked for us

I really like that Ra-a-a-Sheed guy from MN. you cannot teach size like that. He will be a great one. (just like Justin Harrell!) I bet he goes before 20. Doubtful TT would move up to get him, but if he's there, I can't see how TT lets him go (unless he has visions of Justin Harrell in his head).

red
01-24-2014, 11:08 AM
I really like that Ra-a-a-Sheed guy from MN. you cannot teach size like that. He will be a great one. (just like Justin Harrell!) I bet he goes before 20. Doubtful TT would move up to get him, but if he's there, I can't see how TT lets him go (unless he has visions of Justin Harrell in his head).

yeah and the knock on him is that he has never come close to living up to the potential that his size brings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304465/article/film-room-dt-rashede-hageman-is-a-boomorbust-prospect

Conclusion

Hageman will be one of the hottest prospects in the 2014 class in the spring. He will tantalize evaluators with his freakish athleticism and superior physical dimensions, but his game tape doesn't match his natural talent at this time. Although Hageman's production has been solid over the past two years, he hasn't dominated elite competition consistently. Additionally, he has shown an unrefined game that needs some touch-up work by a quality NFL defensive line coach

that scares me

run pMc
01-24-2014, 11:41 AM
Almost all college DL need refinement. I've heard the "his motor runs hot/cold" knock, but he's a big dude. Has a little boom or bust prospect to him IMO, and I'm guessing they look elsewhere (i.e. later rounds) for DL help if there is someone similarly graded at 21.

Agree Ebron might jump up the board with a strong combine/pro day. From the little draft surfing I've done he's the #1 ranked TE on the board, so it's not a given he'll be there at 21. He looks pretty athletic but he'll need work on his routes and blocking. From the little I've seen he could be a good replacement to Finley and I'd take him at 21.

I can't see Mosley being there at 21...but if both he and Ebron were there that would be a really tough call. I'd take Mosley and shop for a TE later.

Haven't seen Amaro; AJS is not a R1 TE IMO -- something about him worries me.

pbmax
01-24-2014, 11:55 AM
How did Hageman do against the Badgers? I barely remember him but those Gophers were getting tougher during the last 3 years, maybe he was part of the difference.

3irty1
01-24-2014, 06:48 PM
Hageman is this years Poe.

denverYooper
01-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Hageman is this years Poe.

So he's going to be pretty good then?

cheesner
01-24-2014, 07:07 PM
So he's going to be pretty good then?

Wrong Poe.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2009/01/14/books/PoePortrait.jpg

Haggeman, that drunken bastard, can write a scary sad sonnet with the best of them.

Bretsky
01-24-2014, 09:08 PM
i'd be fine going with ebron if he is still there IF ha ha, pryor and mosely are all off the board

and ebron might be the only TE i'm interested with in the 1st round right now. i'm just not sure amaro, and ajs or whatever his initials are, would be that much better then the 2nd tier guys you can get in round 2 or 3

and at this point, i'm not sold or excited at all about any of the d-linemen that are being mocked for us

I could see Ebron shooting up the boards; but I kind of think Mosely and Ebron are doing in the 15-25 range. If TT had stones I'd bless trading up a few spots for either.

red
01-24-2014, 09:36 PM
I could see Ebron shooting up the boards; but I kind of think Mosely and Ebron are doing in the 15-25 range. If TT had stones I'd bless trading up a few spots for either.

the problem with moving up is, we would have to lose our 2nd or 3rd round picks

and we need ever pick we have right now. cause we both know that TT isn't going to use free agency to fill our needs, so we need to draft at least 3 new starters, maybe 4 in this draft

i see us needing a starting S, ILB and TE for sure. maybe a starting center and fullback. 1 or 2 d-linemen that can imediately step into the rotation and get lots of playing time. and probably a WR who will be starting material within a year

so i guess i would be against trading up at this point, and i've never been all that excited about trading down

Bretsky
01-24-2014, 09:44 PM
the problem with moving up is, we would have to lose our 2nd or 3rd round picks

and we need ever pick we have right now. cause we both know that TT isn't going to use free agency to fill our needs, so we need to draft at least 3 new starters, maybe 4 in this draft

i see us needing a starting S, ILB and TE for sure. maybe a starting center and fullback. 1 or 2 d-linemen that can imediately step into the rotation and get lots of playing time. and probably a WR who will be starting material within a year

so i guess i would be against trading up at this point, and i've never been all that excited about trading down

Every year you and I see glarding weakensses and beg TT to sign a couple mid tier free agents ahead of the draft so we don't "have" to take players for need. Last year we both pleaded for a safety and after TT neglected the positions we were pretty much screwed all of last year.

Signing a free agent safety and big body on the DL seems almost as easy as the call to fire Slocum

Bretsky
01-24-2014, 09:45 PM
BTW.....I really like the Iowa TE as well for a round 3 or so pick. I think he might end of being a beast in the NFL.

red
01-24-2014, 09:56 PM
BTW.....I really like the Iowa TE as well for a round 3 or so pick. I think he might end of being a beast in the NFL.

well he's just massive with good hands, can run routes AND he can block

what more do you need?

we both want him in the 3rd, so we'll trade down in the 3rd with him still on the board. take a punter or some shit

woodbuck27
01-24-2014, 10:36 PM
yeah and the knock on him is that he has never come close to living up to the potential that his size brings

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000304465/article/film-room-dt-rashede-hageman-is-a-boomorbust-prospect

that scares me

TT has to go athletic and durable with every defensive pick.

smuggler
01-25-2014, 01:45 AM
I think I would understand TT trading up for Moseley or Nix, but I would be very critical of a trade up for Ebron...

packrulz
01-25-2014, 05:35 AM
If Ebron is gone I really like Marqise Lee, WR, USC. I think he's amazing, out of a solid crop of WR's. I would take him over Mike Evans. He returns punts and kicks too, so special teams would improve immediately. He did have some injury issues, but nothing serious.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1647455-usc-football-analyzing-what-makes-marqise-lee-so-special
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIjzTV0r1po

Bretsky
01-25-2014, 08:07 AM
I think I would understand TT trading up for Moseley or Nix, but I would be very critical of a trade up for Ebron...

I'm not sold on Nix yet and would take Ebron over Nix.
I'd take Mosley over Ebron

Bretsky
01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
If Ebron is gone I really like Marqise Lee, WR, USC. I think he's amazing, out of a solid crop of WR's. I would take him over Mike Evans. He returns punts and kicks too, so special teams would improve immediately. He did have some injury issues, but nothing serious.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1647455-usc-football-analyzing-what-makes-marqise-lee-so-special

USC WR's scare many....but he's the best WR at USC I can recall

red
01-25-2014, 08:43 AM

never draft a wr out of usc in the first, they're always busts

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-25-2014, 09:38 AM

I like him a lot too. If we can get Ebron in the first though, I would be very very happy. I think he will get picked a lot earlier though. Otherwise I would be fine getting Jace Amaro in the first. One of my favorite players in the draft is Brandin Cooks, would be a steal in the late second round.

Cooks (Cobb 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfJvQEYRJsw

pbmax
01-25-2014, 09:39 AM

http://usctrojans.cstv.com/blog/Swann-TD-GTech-SI.jpg

packrulz
01-25-2014, 09:59 AM
Like Lynn Swann?

red
01-25-2014, 10:36 AM
Like Lynn Swann?

i'm thinking more of the recent guys, like mike williams, who looked like a freak of nature in college

or dwayne jarrett who people said was even better and wouldn't be the same type of bust that williams was. he ended up gong in the second and was out of the nfl in a few years

look at the schools recent history (not a guy from 50 years ago) and it looks like every one of their awesome looking wr's couldn't figure it out in the pros

smuggler
01-25-2014, 11:10 AM
I mean.... it could be a trend, but if he won't be any good, you should see it in his play, not his uniform.

A lot of it probably stems from attitude. SoCal mindset isn't exactly the healthiest, after all. We are usually pretty good at weeding those ones out, Clitoris Hunt aside.

One of my favorite players in the draft is Brandin Cooks, would be a steal in the late second round.

Cooks would be a nice pick at #53 overall, but I think he'll go more in the 30-40 range. Quick with ball skills and return ability... not going to make it down to us in the second round.

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:09 PM
PATH TO THE DRAFT

EBRON had a killer workout day; watching highlights and quoting Mike Mayock

Ebron...Natural Pass catcher with NFL ready hands. Catches everytihing away from the body. Showed Top Ten Skills today. No way he gets by pick #15...the Pittsburg Steelers....from Mayhem

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:12 PM
PATH TO THE DRAFT>..CHARLEY CASSERLY

Previewed another one of my endorsements in Prior

Grades higher than Kenny Viccario and Eric Reed (my man last year).....should get chosen in late teens into the 20's. Nasty hitter who has the talents to be a nasty blitzer as well as a playmaking safety

I know some have noted they'd rather get him in the 2nd. I'd rather get a 1st round talent in the 2nd as well. But he won't be around when we pick there

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:12 PM
I'm not sold on Nix yet and would take Ebron over Nix.
I'd take Mosley over Ebron

and I've changed my mind on this
Ebron would be a nasty steal if he fell to us....but he won't

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:15 PM
Mayock rates HaHA Dix as the #2 safety behind Calvin Prior as a FYI

Prior and Dix bring different skills

Dix=Natural Ballhawk...center field rover with great ball skills...solid in man to man coverage...
Casseerly thinks he goes as early as 13 and as late as 17. Ravens would be nice fit. Casserly does not think he gets by Green Bay

PRIOR==More aggressive...good instincts...solid against the run but missed occasional tackles because he sometimes overpursues and tried to knock somebody out

Joemailman
03-25-2014, 07:40 PM
Mayock rates HaHA Dix as the #2 safety behind Calvin Prior as a FYI

Prior and Dix bring different skills

Dix=Natural Ballhawk...center field rover with great ball skills...solid in man to man coverage...
Casseerly thinks he goes as early as 13 and as late as 17. Ravens would be nice fit. Casserly does not think he gets by Green Bay

PRIOR==More aggressive...good instincts...solid against the run but missed occasional tackles because he sometimes overpursues and tried to knock somebody out

Dix definitely sounds more like what TT would be looking for in the 1st round. I agree he won't be there at 21. I think TT would pass on Prior in the 1st.

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:54 PM
Dix definitely sounds more like what TT would be looking for in the 1st round. I agree he won't be there at 21. I think TT would pass on Prior in the 1st.

The more I watch Ebron the more I love the guy; he's a matchup nightmare in the NFL

I agree Dix might be a better fit for us, but since most of Alabamas team are NFL players I do worry the rest of their defense makes each player look a bit better than they are

When you listed to Dix you hear how NFL prople talk about Byrd

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 07:55 PM
I'lll puke on myself if they pass on Prior to pick another DL slug; I hope we find a playmaker there and it seems like a high percent of DL bust

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 08:08 PM
MORE FROM MAYOCK ON THE TWO BIG DOGS

Q. On Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

MAYOCK: They are different players. For me, Calvin prior is like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders. He flies around, he hits people, he explodes everywhere. I think he is a little better in the box than he is on the back end. It might be just because of the way Louisville used him. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix did, from the other hand, has got better range, and I think he's more of a deep third, deep‑half guy, he tackles well and he can invert up into the box. I think he's a complete player, so both of those guys, I wouldn't even blink if they went at No. 10. But it depends what flavor you're looking for because they are a little bit different type players.

TWO MORE GUYS I'D BE HAPPY WITH that ILL SOON PIMP MORE AT SAFETY

DEONE BUCANNON....
ED REYNOLDS

THESE ARE MY FAB FOUR

BZnDallas
03-25-2014, 08:28 PM
What would it take to jump 7-8 spots and take Ebron? Any chance it would only take a 3? Now that we have the extra 3 could TT trade up for Ebron in the first, go S in the 2nd and C or WR in the 3rd and Fourth?

gbgary
03-25-2014, 08:52 PM
I'd like to go o but think it would be foolish to do so in the first couple of rounds with the d needing so much. it would continue to put pressure on the o to HAVE to score every possession. a better, faster, stronger d would take pressure off both units. tt needs to move up to ensure we get that impact player on d. he's done it before.

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
What would it take to jump 7-8 spots and take Ebron? Any chance it would only take a 3? Now that we have the extra 3 could TT trade up for Ebron in the first, go S in the 2nd and C or WR in the 3rd and Fourth?

The last couple years teams who are trading up have not had to give up as much as in the past

IMO more teams have wanted to trade down than up so they are settling for less

The chart will tell you it probably takes a 2nd to move up but going from 21 t0 14...MAYBE a 3rd.....or a 3rd and 6th ?

If you take Ebron at round one you have set yourself up well for the possibility of losing either Cobb or Nelson..........or you've set yourself up to have a dominant offense and Happy QB for many years to come

Then you go and get Buchanon or Rynolds in round 2/3 and focus on the D !

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 09:04 PM

I'm not sure which defensive player to move up for. Ebron is star power at TE but I doubt TT moves up for him. I would not give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up for the Alabama safety or Mosely...surely not a DL.
The pass rushers we really crave will be long gone.

red
03-25-2014, 09:22 PM

there is absolutely no guarantee ebron will go before we pick. its all combine hype pushing him up so far right now.

as to who will really be where and when. who the hell really know

i saw one mock today based on team needs after free agent moves that had haha go top ten, pryor go top 15, mosely go 16. which would suck imo

but they had ebron picking us at 21

so who knows

red
03-25-2014, 09:29 PM
as for trading up in general, or trading down

i read a story yesterday where one GM and coach really would like to trade down this year, but he thinks it might be impossible because in his opinion, everyone wants to trade down this year because the draft is just so deep

so moving down might not be an option, but moving up might be very cheap, but also very stupid at the same time

Bretsky
03-25-2014, 09:34 PM
One point that keeps getting echoed is due to so many players bolting college this year what is normally round 2 talent will be found through round three and good good players will still b there through 4.
So it's probably the year everybody wants to trade down.

With that being said, if Ebron, Prior, and Haha are gone when GB picks....I want to trade down !! I don't want a DL at 21.

3irty1
03-26-2014, 04:09 PM
One point that keeps getting echoed is due to so many players bolting college this year what is normally round 2 talent will be found through round three and good good players will still b there through 4.
So it's probably the year everybody wants to trade down.

With that being said, if Ebron, Prior, and Haha are gone when GB picks....I want to trade down !! I don't want a DL at 21.

I'd be pretty thrilled to grab Nix at 21. Or Mosley.

swede
03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
as for trading up in general, or trading down

i read a story yesterday where one GM and coach really would like to trade down this year, but he thinks it might be impossible because in his opinion, everyone wants to trade down this year because the draft is just so deep

so moving down might not be an option, but moving up might be very cheap, but also very stupid at the same time

Cheap, but stupid. I think that's how my prom date signed my yearbook.

red
03-26-2014, 05:25 PM

lol, nice

i'm seeing more and more mocks in the last two days pushing the 2 safeties way up the board. this mock

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-mock-draft-2-0-191123968--nfl.html

has ebron gone at 7, haha gone at 10 to the lions and pryor gone at 13 to the rams.

yikes

the good news is that this mock, and many others have mosely falling to us and us actually taking him

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-26-2014, 06:20 PM
I still think Cooks we beast out in the pros, but I kind of have a man crush on Odell Beckham. He's moved up to number two on my top five.

1) Ebron
2) Beckham
3) Clinton-Dix
4) Pryor
5) Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwKdJUVrno

Guy has some Deion Sanders in him. Enjoy.

Joemailman
03-26-2014, 06:38 PM
I still think Cooks we beast out in the pros, but I kind of have a man crush on Odell Beckham. He's moved up to number two on my top five.

1) Ebron
2) Beckham
3) Clinton-Dix
4) Pryor
5) Ford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwKdJUVrno

Guy has some Deion Sanders in him. Enjoy.

Beckham is a 5'11" receiver who ran a 4.43 40 and has very good hands. Sounds like Greg Jennings. Very good receiver, but TT has proven he can find guys like this in the 2nd round.

Bretsky
03-26-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd be pretty thrilled to grab Nix at 21. Or Mosley.

Agree on Mosley

red
03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Agree on Mosley

it doesn't fix our major problem on D (the safety play, or lack there of), but he would really improve the middle of our D

mraynrand
03-26-2014, 09:31 PM

Holy crap, it's Swede! I was worried the teachers' union took you out.

smuggler
03-27-2014, 12:59 AM
Settling in on Mosley now. Pretty convinced the Bears will draft a safety at 16 or whatever.

woodbuck27
03-28-2014, 05:15 AM

I think that MM is still "in love " with JerMichael Finley.

3irty1
03-28-2014, 09:53 AM
How all the shitty teams view the top 4 QB's is going to pretty much determine our fate. If only one of them goes like last year its really going to shit in our cheerios for BPA.

smuggler
03-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Aaron Donald has skyrocketed lately (according to consensus) and that should help us.

pbmax
03-28-2014, 12:47 PM
How all the shitty teams view the top 4 QB's is going to pretty much determine our fate. If only one of them goes like last year its really going to shit in our cheerios for BPA.

If this is true I like our odds.

#OVERDRAFTING!

Joemailman
03-28-2014, 06:05 PM

To move up that far in the 1st round would probably require the Packers 2nd. TT has never used any pick higher than a 3rd for a TE.

Bretsky
04-29-2014, 10:26 PM
Looks like da Beast will be long gone by pick 21

wist43
04-29-2014, 10:59 PM
There are a lot of guys I can live with... deep draft.

In no particular order:

Eric Ebron, TE
Calvin Pryor, S
Ryan Shazier, LB
Jimmy Ward, S
Clinton-Dix, S
Kyle Fuller, CB
Bradley Roby, CB (depends on what his OVI is all about)

Lot of good players to choose from... wouldn't mind trading down.

woodbuck27
04-30-2014, 06:17 AM
There are a lot of guys I can live with... deep draft.

In no particular order:

Eric Ebron, TE
Calvin Pryor, S
Ryan Shazier, LB
Jimmy Ward, S
Clinton-Dix, S
Kyle Fuller, CB
Bradley Roby, CB (depends on what his OVI is all about)

Lot of good players to choose from... wouldn't mind trading down.

Would you be disappointed if TT went WR?

I make it that about 1/3 of the teams have a first or second priority need at WR.

I see a run on WR's in Rd 2.

TT could select a top notch WR @ pick NO. 21 and ( go BPA ... DE;TE or Safety) @ Pick #53 in Rd. 2.

woodbuck27
04-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Looks like da Beast will be long gone by pick 21

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQF0TY0tl9wCD5iXWiI9qxE1_Uf2Ggfc cgTQZFmKJuUMoPauovNSQ

Da Beast

woodbuck27
04-30-2014, 06:38 AM
MORE FROM MAYOCK ON THE TWO BIG DOGS

Q. On Calvin Pryor and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

MAYOCK: They are different players. For me, Calvin prior is like a bigger, stronger Bob Sanders. He flies around, he hits people, he explodes everywhere. I think he is a little better in the box than he is on the back end. It might be just because of the way Louisville used him. Ha Ha Clinton-Dix did, from the other hand, has got better range, and I think he's more of a deep third, deep‑half guy, he tackles well and he can invert up into the box. I think he's a complete player, so both of those guys, I wouldn't even blink if they went at No. 10. But it depends what flavor you're looking for because they are a little bit different type players.

TWO MORE GUYS I'D BE HAPPY WITH that ILL SOON PIMP MORE AT SAFETY

DEONE BUCANNON....
ED REYNOLDS

THESE ARE MY FAB FOUR

I've looked at both for my mock.

SS Deone Bucannon (Sr.) 6' - 1 " and 211 lbs @ Pick #53 (and maybe a slight reach here !?).

FS Ed Reynolds (rJr) and 6'-1" and 207 lbs - Fr. Stanford @ Pick #121

vince
04-30-2014, 06:52 AM
Like MD and JH, I endorse Brandin Cooks at 21. Having big targets Nelson and Boykin outside along with quick and heady Cobb and all-world speedy Cooks slashing inside would be a lethal combination that would be impossible to match up against. I see safety, ILB and TE prospects that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd but you're not gonna find 4.3 playmakers past the first round. Beckham would be a good possibility too but he's more of a Cobb clone than a unique complement that brings an added dimension (blazing speed) like Cooks does.

woodbuck27
04-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Like MD and JH, I endorse Brandin Cooks at 21. Having big targets Nelson and Boykin outside along with quick and heady Cobb and all-world speedy Cooks slashing inside would be a lethal combination that would be impossible to match up against. I see safety, ILB and TE prospects that can be had in the 2nd and 3rd but you're not gonna find 4.3 playmakers past the first round. Beckham would be a good possibility too but he's more of a Cobb clone than a unique complement that brings an added dimension (blazing speed) like Cooks does.

I'm starting to think this way too.

Get a top notch WR before the run on them in Round NO. 2.

Realistically:

It will depend on TT's board and BPA.

It will depend on any opportunity that's pleasing to TT and trading down.

Fritz
04-30-2014, 12:16 PM
Hell, I don't know what to think. My head's spinning now. Mosley - great athlete, but can he cover a tight end, and is he injury prone? Pryor? Too much an in-the-box guy, like they think Burnett should be, and maybe out of control? Ward? Big enough? Shazier - can he play inside?

I'm so confused. Just have the damn draft already, and pick someone, for god's sake.

What I don't seem to be able to see is a guy that might be even within seven or eight picks of their #21 spot who could be that all-pro difference-maker. I seem to see a lot of guys who could be good, or maybe really good, but I'm not seeing that Clay Matthews/Aaron Rodgers kind of guy being available after the first six or so guys are gone.

But what do I know? Not much. I do like reading all of your assessments. Better than most national blah blah draft reports.

smuggler
04-30-2014, 12:32 PM
A WR in rd 1 would be the safest pick we could make. If for some insane reason Mike Evans fell to us, that's who we've gotta take. Elsewise, trading back into the late first or early second and picking the BPA who falls to us (Mosely) is the way to go. Would also be nice to trade back and nab Shazier or Ward. Either of those guys plus an extra 3rd round pick sounds like a damn steal.

Maxie the Taxi
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
A WR in rd 1 would be the safest pick we could make. If for some insane reason Mike Evans fell to us, that's who we've gotta take. Elsewise, trading back into the late first or early second and picking the BPA who falls to us (Mosely) is the way to go. Would also be nice to trade back and nab Shazier or Ward. Either of those guys plus an extra 3rd round pick sounds like a damn steal.

Agree 100%. I think WR and QB talent translates best from college to pros. Unless a DB really stands out from the field, like Earl Thomas or Patrick Peterson, they can be a bust at the Rnd 1 pick. We picked up Hayward in the 2nd and Burnett in the 3rd.

Brandon494
04-30-2014, 01:57 PM

Mike Evans isn't falling outside of the top 10 and there is no guarantee Shazier even falls to us at 21. I might be the only person on this board that prays we don't draft Mosley, I'm sorry but if you can't stay healthy in college playing LB what makes you think that will change in the NFL with stronger and faster players along with playing more games. Also with his size I wouldn't touch Ward in the 1st round, he is too small to be a impact player IMO.

smuggler
04-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Not only that, but GB in particular seems to have a great knack for getting the most out of their WR draft selections. If the BPA is a WR, make the pick and never look back.

Brandon494
04-30-2014, 02:10 PM

I disagree, Nelson and Boykin might be over 6 feet but neither play it like. We have a draft loaded with WR talent and probably the best GM in the league in scouting WR talent...it would make no sense to select a WR with our first pick. Also 40 times are the most overrated stat for WRs EVER! If we ever watched Cooks play his football speed is no where near his 40 speed plus he adds to ZERO impact to the return game.

We need to go defense early, Broncos had a loaded WR corps too and look how they turned out in the Super Bowl. A guy I like who fits the mold you are looking for but would be much cheaper would be a guy like Bruce Ellington from South Carolina. http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/bruce-ellington?id=2543646

Plays faster then his 40 time, great vertical, great hands, 2 sport athlete (basketball), and would add to the return game.

Brandon494
04-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Not only that, but GB in particular seems to have a great knack for getting the most out of their WR draft selections. If the BPA is a WR, make the pick and never look back.

So why take a WR in the 1st round? Greg Jennings 2nd round, Jordy Nelson 2nd round, Randall Cobb 2nd round, James Jones 3rd round, Boykins drafted FA. I'm all for BPA on defense but unless a guy like Watkins or Evans falls (which they won't) we have no business taking a WR with our 1st pick.

smuggler
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
As it turns out, the way the talent is spread in the first round means we agree. All I'm saying is the return on investment when our FO selects a WR as BPA is pretty stellar, so if the BPA is a WR, then I feel comfortable selecting that player. No, Evans probably won't fall to 21, and any other WR except Watkins (LOL) would very likely not be evaluated as BPA at 21.

But, if the Lions, Giants, Bills, and Jets all decide they like the WR depth enough to pass on Evans, and he does slide, that's the time to strike.

pittstang5
04-30-2014, 03:00 PM
Funny how things change in a couple months.

I thought Mosley was the player we needed, but was a pipe dream to get. Then he fell a little and it starting looking like he might be available for the Packers pick. Now, I'm scared the Packers might take him (assuming he's there) but I don't want him because of the injury concerns.

May 8th can't get here soon enough.

mraynrand
04-30-2014, 03:10 PM
So why take a WR in the 1st round? Greg Jennings 2nd round, Jordy Nelson 2nd round, Randall Cobb 2nd round, James Jones 3rd round, Boykins drafted FA. I'm all for BPA on defense but unless a guy like Watkins or Evans falls (which they won't) we have no business taking a WR with our 1st pick.

ya, I think pack would have to trade up to get any more value from a receiver (WR or TE) than they could get in the second. (Might see them trade up in second to make sure they get the guy they want).

The more I think about it, I think TT will take Blackhawk - I'm betting TT sees him as the solution to cleaning up that soft middle that so many teams exploit..

wist43
04-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Would you be disappointed if TT went WR?

I make it that about 1/3 of the teams have a first or second priority need at WR.

I see a run on WR's in Rd 2.

TT could select a top notch WR @ pick NO. 21 and ( go BPA ... DE;TE or Safety) @ Pick #53 in Rd. 2.

Yeah, there will probably be a run on WR's in the 2nd round... but I see the drop off at the other positions as being such that we should pass on WR in the 1st.

I have my heart set on Dante Moncrief in the 2nd, but I don't think he'll be there at #53 - so maybe we do some moving around. I actually wouldn't mind seeing us trade down out of the 1st round altogether.

There are just so many WR's... fewer DB's. I expect there'll be a quality WR there at our pick 53.

Take a pick from a block of players that I already mentions @21
Eric Ebron, TE
Calvin Pryor, S
Ryan Shazier, LB
Jimmy Ward, S
Clinton-Dix, S
Kyle Fuller, CB
Bradley Roby, CB

Then from a block of players @53
Moncrief
Cody Latimer
Davante Adams
Bradley Roby (maybe he drops b/c of the legal stuff??)
Terrance Brooks, FS, FSU
Lamarcus Joyner, CB, FSU
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Kyly Van Noy, LB, BYU
Billy Turner, OT, North Dakota State
Carl Bradford, ILB, ASU

I like both of FSU's LB's Christian Jones and Telvin Smith, but both of those guys are slotted a little further down. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, so depending on how TT views those guys... I like both of 'em.

smuggler
04-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Brandon Coleman of Rutgers is a guy we might look at in the fourth or fifth round. That is, unless Belichik drafts him in the 2nd. Lol!

Carolina_Packer
04-30-2014, 09:55 PM
I've looked at both for my mock.

SS Deone Bucannon (Sr.) 6' - 1 " and 211 lbs @ Pick #53 (and maybe a slight reach here !?).

FS Ed Reynolds (rJr) and 6'-1" and 207 lbs - Fr. Stanford @ Pick #121

I like it Woody! Why take one when you can take two? Like getting Lacy and Franklin last year at a position of obvious need. The other thing I like is where you are drafting these two. Hey, if the team considers a safety is BAP at #21, take him. I think there might be someone at another position who is rated higher, so waiting to draft a safety is not a bad idea, especially if you could end up with the two you picked.

wist43
04-30-2014, 10:23 PM
Don't see Bucannon at all... he simply can't break down, backpedal, or match up in coverage well enough. He's high-cut, stiff, and straight linish. He's not a good fit for the Packers.

Wasn't thrilled with what I saw of Reynolds either... but I can at least see him having a chance to develop. Lower round pick I think.

smuggler
04-30-2014, 10:31 PM
If only we could put Bucannon's brain in and his hands on Terrence Brooks' body...

pbmax
04-30-2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah, there will probably be a run on WR's in the 2nd round... but I see the drop off at the other positions as being such that we should pass on WR in the 1st.

I have my heart set on Dante Moncrief in the 2nd, but I don't think he'll be there at #53 - so maybe we do some moving around. I actually wouldn't mind seeing us trade down out of the 1st round altogether.

There are just so many WR's... fewer DB's. I expect there'll be a quality WR there at our pick 53.

Eric Ebron, TE
Calvin Pryor, S
Ryan Shazier, LB
Jimmy Ward, S
Clinton-Dix, S
Kyle Fuller, CB
Bradley Roby, CB

Moncrief
Cody Latimer
Davante Adams
Terrance Brooks, FS, FSU
Lamarcus Joyner, CB, FSU
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Kyly Van Noy, LB, BYU
Carl Bradford, ILB, ASU

I like both of FSU's LB's Christian Jones and Telvin Smith, but both of those guys are slotted a little further down. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, so depending on how TT views those guys... I like both of 'em.

wist, that's 19 listed players for 2 picks within the first 53 of the draft. 19/53, I think the chances you get your wish (at least one) are pretty high.

Fritz
05-01-2014, 06:18 AM
wist, that's 19 listed players for 2 picks within the first 53 of the draft. 19/53, I think the chances you get your wish (at least one) are pretty high.

I agree with Wist that I'd rather not see a WR in the first round - there are so many available, apparently, that the quality you might get in the second round won't be too much different than that of #21, if reports are to be believed. Plus, you don't want to take a WR in the first and have him (Kelvin Benjamin?) bust on you, while the Patriots take a WR in the second or third and he goes on to be an All Pro.

The only exception to this for me would be if the nearly unthinkable happened: Mike Evans magically dropped into your lap.

Like most of you, though, I do want to see TT take a safety by the third round, at the latest. We tried fourth round no-name Jerron McMessup, and he never did develop.

wist43
05-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Eric Ebron, TE
Calvin Pryor, S
Ryan Shazier, LB
Jimmy Ward, S
Clinton-Dix, S
Kyle Fuller, CB
Bradley Roby, CB

Moncrief
Cody Latimer
Davante Adams
Terrance Brooks, FS, FSU
Lamarcus Joyner, CB, FSU
Phillip Gaines, CB, Rice
Kyly Van Noy, LB, BYU
Carl Bradford, ILB, ASU

There are so many players similarly rated in that range, that it makes for a lot of options and quells the urge to trade up - which is why I would prefer to move down.

I don't see us having a lot of glaring needs outside of S and ILB, which is why I want to jump on a Safety early - I think there is a big drop off at Safety after those top few guys.

If we missed on Clinton-Dix, Pryer, and Ward at S; and Shazier at LB, I'd rather just take BPA regardless of position, and let the draft fall where it may. I don't see Mosley as a 1st rounder b/c I don't see him as an everydown LB, and I'd pass at WR for the stated reasons.

That narrows that 1st round pick a bit... but the 2nd round pick is wide open.

pbmax
05-01-2014, 10:43 AM
Everything about this draft makes me think Ted is trading down. However:

one of the rumblings that has not yet become conventional wisdom is that the extra time has actually been enough for teams to talk themselves out of guys they had liked and highly rated less than a month ago. Rapaport was just talking about this and I saw someone else mention it on CBS.

So its also possible someone surprising falls to 21.

Fritz
05-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Wonder who that might be.

Plus, there's two more weeks for someone to get arrested for a DUI or smoking pot. That could cause someone's stock to fall.

So who are the pundits saying is falling? Any names from that top fifteen who are now looking more like second rounders? Someone Ted could snatch up at #21?

red
05-01-2014, 12:44 PM
Wonder who that might be.

Plus, there's two more weeks for someone to get arrested for a DUI or smoking pot. That could cause someone's stock to fall.

So who are the pundits saying is falling? Any names from that top fifteen who are now looking more like second rounders? Someone Ted could snatch up at #21?

bridgewater

hell, SI had an article today with him still ranked as the top player in the draft, a lot of other people have him falling out of the first round all together

mosely has been dropping for awhile. he started as a top 10 pick and a lot of folks have him going late 1st or even second now

i saw a mock a little bit ago that had pryor going in the second

even some of the post combine bump the ebron had might be starting to wear off. i'm seeing him being mocked a little later now

wist43
05-01-2014, 03:17 PM
Everything about this draft makes me think Ted is trading down. However:

one of the rumblings that has not yet become conventional wisdom is that the extra time has actually been enough for teams to talk themselves out of guys they had liked and highly rated less than a month ago. Rapaport was just talking about this and I saw someone else mention it on CBS.

So its also possible someone surprising falls to 21.

I don't expect these guys to drop necessarily, but I wouldn't touch Clowney or Manziel; all of the 1st round QB are iffy - Bortles is about the only one I'd say has the tools.

Other guys with 1st round grades that I don't like are Darqueze Dennard, CJ Mosley, Cyrus Kouandjio, Derrick Carr, and Kony Ealy - among others.

I wouldn't take Clowney if he dropped all the way to 21, Manziel either.

red
05-01-2014, 04:09 PM
with the draft being so damn deep at WR, to me, that means you can still get a damn fine WR in rounds 3 or 4 or even later

for for me, that means you don't take one of the best wr prospects in the first 2 rounds, when you have such greater needs at areas with much shallower talent pools

what happens if we don't draft a starting safety this year, just like we didn't last year? free agency is over, there's no more upgrades to be found there

hyde would be forced into the role by default, and thats never a good thing.

you could have pro bowlers at every position on defense, but if you're two back end players remain as incompetent as they were last year, then we are gonna continue to be a sieve in the passing game

smuggler
05-01-2014, 06:54 PM
We have to take Clowney at 21 if hes there. That would make our roster 4-3 compatible almost immediately.

HarveyWallbangers
05-01-2014, 09:42 PM
with the draft being so damn deep at WR, to me, that means you can still get a damn fine WR in rounds 3 or 4 or even later

for for me, that means you don't take one of the best wr prospects in the first 2 rounds, when you have such greater needs at areas with much shallower talent pools

what happens if we don't draft a starting safety this year, just like we didn't last year? free agency is over, there's no more upgrades to be found there

hyde would be forced into the role by default, and thats never a good thing.

you could have pro bowlers at every position on defense, but if you're two back end players remain as incompetent as they were last year, then we are gonna continue to be a sieve in the passing game

I've generally agreed with the guys you like, but not Bortles. I just don't see it. He has good size, poise, and mobility--but I don't think much of his arm and mechanics. He throws a pretty pathetic middle to deep ball. I'm probably the only person that wouldn't take him in the first round.

wist43
05-01-2014, 11:27 PM
We have to take Clowney at 21 if hes there. That would make our roster 4-3 compatible almost immediately.

Talent wise?? Yeah, he's the #1 pick, hands down...

Football player wise?? motor wise?? Attitude wise?? Don't want anything to do with him...

I watched a couple of SC games - the guy was invisible. I watched him every play. You could see the athletecism, you could see the ability - but at the same time, you could that he just wasn't that interested in being the best player on the field. Seriously, the guy was invisible when I watched... I'm sure he has all the ability in the world to flip the switch and make highlight film plays - but how often will that be??

I think the guy is going to be a headcase in the NFL.

woodbuck27
05-02-2014, 06:33 AM
Hell, I don't know what to think. My head's spinning now. Mosley - great athlete, but can he cover a tight end, and is he injury prone? Pryor? Too much an in-the-box guy, like they think Burnett should be, and maybe out of control? Ward? Big enough? Shazier - can he play inside?

I'm so confused. Just have the damn draft already, and pick someone, for god's sake.

What I don't seem to be able to see is a guy that might be even within seven or eight picks of their #21 spot who could be that all-pro difference-maker. I seem to see a lot of guys who could be good, or maybe really good, but I'm not seeing that Clay Matthews/Aaron Rodgers kind of guy being available after the first six or so guys are gone.

But what do I know? Not much. I do like reading all of your assessments. Better than most national blah blah draft reports.

Fritz it's not easy to try to do a realistic Mock, even with all the information available to us. As a fan and with some concerted effort I do feel we can get a decent grip on it in Round 1-4. After that it gets a bit sketchy.

The thing I gain from getting more absorbed in this exercise is that I realize/appreciate that the pressure on TT and his draft team to get it best they can is somewhat large.

I believe that TT has to be looking at priority picks @ SS ( both FS's Hasean Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor may be gone); ILB C.J. Mosely most likely will be gone (he won't slip past the Chicago Bears @ Pick #14) and one or both of OLB34 Ryan Shazier and DT Louis Nix will be available at Pick #21.

Where Ted Thompson has to be at his BEST and RIGHT is with that # 21 pick. Is the BPA available a true fit or does he trade down?

I can see willing trade down partners emerging.

ie @ Pick #26 Cleveland (Pick #24 and Cincy and a possible strong move early @ QB); Pick #30 San Fran (OLB and CB and WR and needing to pull out all the stops in 2014) and even Rd. 2 Pick #34 Washington needing as priorities both OLB and ILB; CB and Safety).

Fritz
05-03-2014, 08:28 AM
I wonder if Ted will go big, with the Beej being on a one year deal and Boyd, from what I've read, suited to a tech more than a nose. Nix, maybe, the only obvious nose tackle available?

Then trade up in the second to nab a safety - Ward, Brooks, whomever? Then get a WR in the third?

Hell, what do I know?

I'd like to see them get an ILB and a safety both before the fifth round, though. I don't think this team can afford to take a safety who's going to take four years to develop, and that's what you seem to get the later you take one.

Bretsky
05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
I wonder if Ted will go big, with the Beej being on a one year deal and Boyd, from what I've read, suited to a tech more than a nose. Nix, maybe, the only obvious nose tackle available?

Then trade up in the second to nab a safety - Ward, Brooks, whomever? Then get a WR in the third?

Hell, what do I know?

I'd like to see them get an ILB and a safety both before the fifth round, though. I don't think this team can afford to take a safety who's going to take four years to develop, and that's what you seem to get the later you take one.

I want a talent guy with a high motor ......as opposed to a slug who lacks the high motor

pbmax
05-03-2014, 10:01 AM
I want a talent guy with a high motor ......as opposed to a slug who lacks the high motor

Did you see Patler's write up of him?

Bretsky
05-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Did you see Patler's write up of him?

I've read quite a bit about him to form my view
but
I missed Patler's write up of him

wist43
05-03-2014, 11:53 AM
I just don't know what the point would be of drafting another DL or OLB high in the draft. We have a shit-ton of front seven players that are all pretty good, but dunderdummy wastes their talent - so why bring in more guys just to have them stand on the sideline??

Our weakest front seven position is ILB - but somehow, dunderdummy dreams up gameplans in which they are on the field for every play, while players like Perry and D.Jones are on the sideline - or if they are on the field, they are misused.

Outside of ILB, any pick in the front seven will be a waste b/c of dunderdummy. It's why signing Peppers was probably a waste - TT hasn't figured out that the problem isn't the players he's drafting - it's dunderdummy.

Fritz
05-04-2014, 08:25 AM
I wouldn't be as upset as some here if TT took Nix so that the team could develop a much-needed true nose tackle for the defense.

I am afraid that Mosely's shoulder problem will come back to haunt him; I'm not convinced Pryor or Clinton-Dix will be there to take, and I'm less sold on Clinton-Dix now anyway - he seems like he'll be an okay, serviceable guy but not much more. I don't want that for a first round pick (unless you can get your pro bowler with your next pick or two). Watching the little bit of Shazier tape that I did makes him seem less impressive than I'd hoped.

The wide receivers I don't know much about. But I know a defense starts with a stout middle. And Raji is a one-year rental - if he plays well he'll leave; if he plays poorly he'll be gone.

pbmax
05-04-2014, 08:29 AM
I've read quite a bit about him to form my view
but
I missed Patler's write up of him

My bad. Patler wrote up Tuitt, not Nix.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26777-Who-Should-TT-Pick-In-the-First-Round-3-0-Final-Version&p=782425&viewfull=1#post782425

wist43
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
My bad. Patler wrote up Tuitt, not Nix.

http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?26777-Who-Should-TT-Pick-In-the-First-Round-3-0-Final-Version&p=782425&viewfull=1#post782425

Tuitt looked like a beast a couple of years ago, but then go injured and came back overweight and out of shape. In that condition he looked like a slug... he definitely cost himself a lot of money b/c of that. Where he is drafted depends on what teams think of his attitude and committment.

He could be a steal if he's healthy and dedicated, but if either of those criteria are lacking, he'll be a bust.

wist43
05-04-2014, 10:40 AM
I'd be okay with a DL or OLB if I had any faith that the guy would even be used. And if you do take a guy at those positions, and he does play a lot - then you're going to have to sit one of the previous high draft picks.

Are we ready to admit that Perry is a bust?? Is Neal gone after next year?? Raji will likely be gone...

I would agree that drafting a front seven guy could be argued as perfectly logical - but we already have a shit-ton of those guys standing on the sideline whenever dunderdummy goes to his beloved fancy pants defenses - which is more often than not.

If 1st and 10, and 2nd and 6 are nickel situations to dunderdummy - what the bloody hell do we have any use for a guy like Nix??

Bretsky
05-04-2014, 12:26 PM
I'd be okay with a DL or OLB if I had any faith that the guy would even be used. And if you do take a guy at those positions, and he does play a lot - then you're going to have to sit one of the previous high draft picks.

Are we ready to admit that Perry is a bust?? Is Neal gone after next year?? Raji will likely be gone...

I would agree that drafting a front seven guy could be argued as perfectly logical - but we already have a shit-ton of those guys standing on the sideline whenever dunderdummy goes to his beloved fancy pants defenses - which is more often than not.

If 1st and 10, and 2nd and 6 are nickel situations to dunderdummy - what the bloody hell do we have any use for a guy like Nix??

You are not pinning Perry being a bust on Dom; there are many Captain Obvious Posters...myself/Lurker...etc..included...who noted Perry was a terrible fit for a 3-4 and anybody who drafted him in the 3-4 would need to try to fit his skills into something he was not natural at. Then once we drafted him the Homer Wagon got all loaded up.

HarveyWallbangers
05-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Hard to say he doesn't fit this or that, when he's been injured so much but has shown glimpses of being able to make the transition. Not all 3-4 OLBs are good cover guys. The DC has to be able to hide some weaknesses at times. Injuries have been his big issue. He'd be better a 4-3 DE than 3-4 OLB, but I think he'd be capable of making the transition if he stayed healthy.

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 06:42 AM
I just don't know what the point would be of drafting another DL or OLB high in the draft. We have a shit-ton of front seven players that are all pretty good, but dunderdummy wastes their talent - so why bring in more guys just to have them stand on the sideline??

Our weakest front seven position is ILB - but somehow, dunderdummy dreams up gameplans in which they are on the field for every play, while players like Perry and D.Jones are on the sideline - or if they are on the field, they are misused.

Outside of ILB, any pick in the front seven will be a waste b/c of dunderdummy. It's why signing Peppers was probably a waste - TT hasn't figured out that the problem isn't the players he's drafting - it's dunderdummy.

Dunderdummy !?

Is he like this fella?http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Nf6ixN7LRZM/Uz4ZZFAfgiI/AAAAAAAAKNA/Xhs8bxGDn-M/s1600/clipnose.gif

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 07:12 AM
I wouldn't be as upset as some here if TT took Nix so that the team could develop a much-needed true nose tackle for the defense.

I am afraid that Mosely's shoulder problem will come back to haunt him; I'm not convinced Pryor or Clinton-Dix will be there to take, and I'm less sold on Clinton-Dix now anyway - he seems like he'll be an okay, serviceable guy but not much more. I don't want that for a first round pick (unless you can get your pro bowler with your next pick or two). Watching the little bit of Shazier tape that I did makes him seem less impressive than I'd hoped.

The wide receivers I don't know much about. But I know a defense starts with a stout middle. And Raji is a one-year rental - if he plays well he'll leave; if he plays poorly he'll be gone.

Fritz:

I wouldn't be surprized at all if Notre Dame DT Louis Nix isn't TT's guy. DT's Ra'Shede Hageman - Minnesota and Timmy Jernigan - Florida State are right there as well.

DT - Ra'Shede Hageman - Minnesota

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/rashede-hageman?id=2543478

DT - Louis Nix - Notre Dame:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/louis-nix?id=2543472

DT - Timmy Jernigan - Florida State:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/timmy-jernigan?id=2543461

Other prospects for the DL that will be in play:

DE's:

Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephon-tuitt?id=2543483

AND:

Demarcus Lawrence - Boise State :

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/demarcus-lawrence?id=2543490

I hope that TT knuckles down to using Pick NO. 21.

What if TT chose Xavier Su'a-Filo - OG - UCLA as his boards BPA?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/xavier-sua-filo?id=2543666

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664298/xavier-sua-filo

wist43
05-06-2014, 07:25 AM
You are not pinning Perry being a bust on Dom; there are many Captain Obvious Posters...myself/Lurker...etc..included...who noted Perry was a terrible fit for a 3-4 and anybody who drafted him in the 3-4 would need to try to fit his skills into something he was not natural at. Then once we drafted him the Homer Wagon got all loaded up.

I was one of those that didn't want Perry, b/c he was a poor fit and stated up front that he didn't want to play LB.

Once he was here - okay fine, go ahead and try and see if the fish can walk on 2 legs when he is out of water - didn't take long to see that Perry was stiff, uninstinctive, unaware, and simply did not a fit at LB in the least.

Did dunderdummy admit it wasn't a good fit and find a way to make it work?? Of course not, he just kept on course - when Perry was available. I have no idea why Raji resigned - when it was obvious he was being misused too, and it killed his attitude. Almost everyone in that front seven should be running for the exits as soon as their contract is up.

The only 2 guys on the entire defense who should be absolutely thrilled with dunderdummy are AJ Hawk and Brad Jones - the 2 players who should be coming off the field ASAP in any subpackage, are the 2 players who remain on the field as a constant... so even in their overuse, they are misused as well.

As a result, we've had one of the worst defenses in the league the last few years - and in '12 when the stats weren't entirely horrific, we endured one of the most embarrassing ass whippings in NFL history as the Niners destroyed dunderdummy.

The sun not shining is dunderdummy's fault, our currency being debauched in dunderdummy's fault, Kim Kardashian's bad hair day is dunderdummy's fault - dunderdummy is the devil with spraypainted hair.

mraynrand
05-06-2014, 07:33 AM
"Once he was here - okay fine, go ahead and try and see if the fish can walk on 2 legs when he is out of water - didn't take long to see that Perry was stiff, uninstinctive, unaware, and simply did not a fit at LB in the least."

Good thing the scheme largely had him near the LOS. Perry pass rushed and played run D like a lineman. And yes, he looked pretty lost in coverage, so (when he was healthy) they didn't ask him to do that all that often.

wist43
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Dunderdummy !?

Is he like this fella?http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Nf6ixN7LRZM/Uz4ZZFAfgiI/AAAAAAAAKNA/Xhs8bxGDn-M/s1600/clipnose.gif

http://cbsboston.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/56451662_81.jpg?w=327

Maybe we need to resort to bags over our heads whenever the defense is on the field??

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 08:40 AM

Maybe we need to resort to bags over our heads whenever the defense is on the field??

This is a better choice for Dunderdummy:

Dom Capers as a caricature and Dunderdummy:

http://timeless.justdave.net/blog/144/coyote-06.jpg

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 08:44 AM

Solid pass rusher in college but just not for the Packers "D".

The glamour pick that had to be avoided by TT.

Damn ......................... I hope I'm wrong.

pbmax
05-06-2014, 09:04 AM

Fangio is now celebrated as one of the best DCs, largely because he was working from a stacked deck in San Fran.

So the bagman was, like every other fan, mis-diagnosing the problem.

woodbuck27
05-06-2014, 09:22 AM
Fangio is now celebrated as one of the best DCs, largely because he was working from a stacked deck in San Fran.

So the bagman was, like every other fan, mis-diagnosing the problem.

Who's Cassery?

Does he mean Charlie Casserly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Casserly

wist43
05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
It was pretty obvious early on that Perry needed to be played with his hand in the dirt - draw it up, WTF is so hard about that??

Now we have a complete, unmitigated mess on our hands b/c we have a shit-ton invested in our DL, but have a Def Coord that is committed to standing them on the sideline, while slugs like AJ Hawk and Brad Jones flounder around on the field.

Now we're going to see heavy doses of his idiotic 2-4 with Matthews, Peppers, someone, and someone on the line - and Brad Jones and AJ Hawk standing there and smiling in the middle of the field - while who, is standing on the sideline?? Daniels, Perry, Neal, D. Jones, Raji, Worthy and Mulumba (whose upside I like more than BJones and Hawk combined)??

What is wrong with that picture??

pbmax
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Now we're going to see heavy doses of his idiotic 2-4 with Matthews, Peppers, someone, and someone on the line - and Brad Jones and AJ Hawk standing there and smiling in the middle of the field - while who, is standing on the sideline?? Daniels, Perry, Neal, D. Jones, Raji, Worthy and Mulumba (whose upside I like more than BJones and Hawk combined)??

What is wrong with that picture??

That two of those bolded will also be on the field.

Fritz
05-06-2014, 11:52 AM
Maybe Dom reads Packerrats, and one day, for one play - say, a third and two - he'll send out a 6-1-4 alignment, just for Wist.

KYPack
05-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Who's Cassery?

Does he mean Charlie Casserly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Casserly

Palmer was Chris Palmer who was fired as OC in season.

Casserly was the GM who was squeezed out post season

Capers was, well, ya know who he was.

Fangio was DC and was canned with Caper's staff in Jan.

Bag fan forgot the ST coach, a usual fan whipping boy.