PDA

View Full Version : Keeping receiving corps together won't be cheap for Packers

woodbuck27
01-29-2014, 03:28 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140124/PKR01/301240404/Keeping-receiving-corps-together-won-t-cheap-Packers

Keeping receiving corps together won't be cheap for Packers

Jan. 25, 2014

PACKERS !

pbmax
01-29-2014, 08:54 AM
OOF. Didn't know BOTH Nelson and Cobb are one year away from new deals. Jones deal would need to be front loaded a bit to fit my imagined 3 year $4 mil per year deal.

Tony Oday
01-29-2014, 10:32 AM
I like Jones but I do not think he is essential to the WR corp. Offer a fair contract and if he wants to break the bank well good luck young man.

red
01-29-2014, 10:37 AM
wait, i've heard this argument somewhere before

run pMc
01-29-2014, 12:35 PM
OOF. Didn't know BOTH Nelson and Cobb are one year away from new deals. Jones deal would need to be front loaded a bit to fit my imagined 3 year $4 mil per year deal.

Yep. I expect one of them to get extended in-season with some of those salary dollars some believe GB has an abundance of instead of Jarius Byrd. I also don't expect them to keep Jones, Jordy and Cobb. I think the total $ at WR will end up being too much, and TT will go back to the draft to get another WR or pass-catching TE (if not both) to keep McCarthy's offense humming.

Bretsky
01-29-2014, 08:48 PM
It would be TT's way to extend one of them and front load a lot of it into this coming year

red
01-29-2014, 09:23 PM
It would be TT's way to extend one of them and front load a lot of it into this coming year

and then said played would bitch in year 2 or 3 when his salary only ranks him as the 30th highest paid WR, even though he made twice as much as any other receiver in the nfl in the first year

not saying jordy or cobb or even jones are that kind of dumb. but we've seen it happen a lot in the past with NFL players. its all about the ego

Tony Oday
01-30-2014, 04:42 PM
I does not seem, from the outside looking in, that our Receiving Corp, besides Finley, thinks like that red.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Our QB play and WR depth has been the backbone of the team since probably 2007. If any group(s) deserves to get paid its Rodgers and the Wr's. I'm in favor of keeping Nelson, Cobb, and even Jones long term.

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 05:08 PM
Our QB play and WR depth has been the backbone of the team since probably 2007. If any group(s) deserves to get paid its Rodgers and the Wr's. I'm in favor of keeping Nelson, Cobb, and even Jones long term.

Can you have 20MIL per year tied up into your WR group ? If you keep those three you might

red
01-30-2014, 05:37 PM
Can you have 20MIL per year tied up into your WR group ? If you keep those three you might

and then there's the notion that, if we are good at drafting and developing any groups, its been WR over the years

so should you tie up big chunks of money in a group that you know you can find cheaper replacements for?

i'm no fan of TT, but the guy doesn't miss on drafting wr's

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2014, 05:42 PM

Well if your playing for production then sure why not. In three years shift some of that over to Lacey and then say goodbye to Jones. Gives you some time to find some additional targets. We finally have a running game...not the time to lose WR's. I get what you are saying but our passing game is the only consistent part of the team year in year out. I would be more disappointed losing Nelson, Jones, or Cobb than Shields, Williams, Raji, Hawk, etc. You can count on Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and Jones every year, every game.

Joemailman
01-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Probably not, and the advantage of having a QB like Rodgers is you don't have to. Boykin is plenty good as a #3 WR, and it probably time for TT to grab another one in the 2-3 round.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Think of it this way. Brad Jones makes about 4 mil/year. Burnett makes about 5-6 mil/year. Bush makes about 2 mil/year. Would it hurt more losing them or Jones, Nelson, or Cobb? Jones and Nelson in particular have been underpaid for many years for what they have been able to accomplish over the years. 20 mil...20 mil

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2014, 05:53 PM
Probably not, and the advantage of having a QB like Rodgers is you don't have to. Boykin is plenty good as a #3 WR, and it probably time for TT to grab another one in the 2-3 round.

So you don't think its a combo of the two. Rodgers has played with Driver, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb since he has stepped on the field. You are short selling how good these players are if you think it was all Rodgers. Don't think Brady missed his targets this year?

red
01-30-2014, 06:07 PM
Think of it this way. Brad Jones makes about 4 mil/year. Burnett makes about 5-6 mil/year. Bush makes about 2 mil/year. Would it hurt more losing them or Jones, Nelson, or Cobb? Jones and Nelson in particular have been underpaid for many years for what they have been able to accomplish over the years. 20 mil...20 mil

yeah, brad jones isn't worth his pay, and burnett isn't worth his. but it would be nice to have guys in their positions that are making that kind of money and actually deserve it. just handing cobb, jones and jordy their money means you're gonna have starters at ILB and safety making the minimum

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-30-2014, 06:13 PM
Well TT is probably going to draft an ILB and safety upgrade so they will be making the minimum anyways :)

Joemailman
01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
So you don't think its a combo of the two. Rodgers has played with Driver, Jennings, Finley, Nelson, Jones, and Cobb since he has stepped on the field. You are short selling how good these players are if you think it was all Rodgers. Don't think Brady missed his targets this year?

Of course it's a combination of the two. But Rodgers is good enough to elevate the performance of his receivers. He lost Driver after the 2011 season, and Jennings after the 2012 season, and didn't blink an eye. 39 TD passes and 8 INT's in 2012, and he was on his way to similar numbers in 2013 when he got hurt. All I'm advocating is that they don't need to pay big money to keep James Jones because he is replaceable.

Cleft Crusty
01-30-2014, 07:07 PM
Well TT is probably going to draft an ILB and safety upgrade so they will be making the minimum anyways :)

Depends on which draft pick goes to which spot. #21 from last year was about 4.4 mil signing bonus with 1.5 mil cap number. Brad Jones is in the 4 mil/year range; as a minimum salary vet he would get 685,000.

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Well if your playing for production then sure why not. In three years shift some of that over to Lacey and then say goodbye to Jones. Gives you some time to find some additional targets. We finally have a running game...not the time to lose WR's. I get what you are saying but our passing game is the only consistent part of the team year in year out. I would be more disappointed losing Nelson, Jones, or Cobb than Shields, Williams, Raji, Hawk, etc. You can count on Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, and Jones every year, every game.

If ya got 20MIL on AROD, 10 MIL on Clay, and 20 MIL on the WR's 40% of your cap is used up on five players and four on offense. For those of us with pipe dreams of signing a free agent....well....challenge to shore up that defense if you do that

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 08:46 PM
Of course it's a combination of the two. But Rodgers is good enough to elevate the performance of his receivers. He lost Driver after the 2011 season, and Jennings after the 2012 season, and didn't blink an eye. 39 TD passes and 8 INT's in 2012, and he was on his way to similar numbers in 2013 when he got hurt. All I'm advocating is that they don't need to pay big money to keep James Jones because he is replaceable.

This is where I'm at
I think Cobb has a lot more talent than Jones and runs better routes
I think Jordy Nelson is more talented and runs better routes
I think Boykins can be a #3
And I think we can draft a WR in top 4 rounds (he's right up the road from us) or a high TE and not miss much of a beat

Bretsky
01-30-2014, 08:47 PM
yeah, brad jones isn't worth his pay, and burnett isn't worth his. but it would be nice to have guys in their positions that are making that kind of money and actually deserve it. just handing cobb, jones and jordy their money means you're gonna have starters at ILB and safety making the minimum

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

This has me thinking.................WHAT IS THE EASIER CALL ??

Fire Slocum
or
Cut Brad Jones ??????????????///

Are we considering either of them ???????????????????//

smuggler
01-30-2014, 09:51 PM
The answer is FIRE SLOCUM. Jones, though disappointing and overpaid in 2013, might actually improve in 2014. No chance of that with Slocum.

woodbuck27
01-31-2014, 02:38 AM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm

This has me thinking.................WHAT IS THE EASIER CALL ??

Fire Slocum
or
Cut Brad Jones ??????????????///

Are we considering either of them ???????????????????//

If their the first two ingredients for a stew.

Your going to have a bad stew.

woodbuck27
01-31-2014, 02:41 AM

I like James Jones but for some time I've has a strong feeling that his offer from TT will be exceeded elsewhere.

run pMc
01-31-2014, 08:40 AM
A good QB will be more successful with a mediocre WR group than
a bad QB with a good WR group.

Not saying they shouldn't give Rodgers good players to throw to, but I wouldn't sink a huge chunk of the cap at WRs. Drafting a WR or TE (or both) in the first 3 rounds will be needed IMO whether they sign Jones or not. I don't think Finley is coming back, and I think TT learned a lesson after the 2005 season about giving a QB receivers.

$20M for 3 receivers is pretty steep. Had Jennings signed for $8M, wouldn't they be at about that now?
FWIW, they overpaid for what they got at ILB and S in 2013-14.

HarveyWallbangers
01-31-2014, 11:02 AM
Jones is as good as gone--unless the market completely falls apart for him. (I don't think it will.) No way they pay Jones more than scraps when they already have a WR3 similar to Jones making scraps.

HarveyWallbangers
01-31-2014, 11:03 AM
and then said played would bitch in year 2 or 3 when his salary only ranks him as the 30th highest paid WR, even though he made twice as much as any other receiver in the nfl in the first year

not saying jordy or cobb or even jones are that kind of dumb. but we've seen it happen a lot in the past with NFL players. its all about the ego

That hasn't really been much of a problem in Green Bay since the Sherman days. TT may or may not draft injury prone guys (might just be dumb luck), but I think it's pretty clear that character means a lot in his evaluations.

red
01-31-2014, 11:06 AM
That hasn't really been much of a problem in Green Bay since the Sherman days. TT may or may not draft injury prone guys (might just be dumb luck), but I think it's pretty clear that character means a lot in his evaluations.

we didn't think jennings was that type of player either, until he didn't get what he wanted and ended up signing an ego saving deal with one of our most hated enemies

HarveyWallbangers
01-31-2014, 11:12 AM
we didn't think jennings was that type of player either, until he didn't get what he wanted and ended up signing an ego saving deal with one of our most hated enemies

But he caused zero problems when he was with Green Bay--other than his sister going on an insane rant about Rodgers.

woodbuck27
01-31-2014, 12:12 PM

That's interesting as I was reading somewhere where it came up that does toughness come with bad ass reputation or a checkered past?

So if you go to church regularly and early before the big game. Are you injury prone?

Vs

The guy that likes to "run the rogue" and church ?! ... are you kiddin' me ! On game day "the rogue' is simply and totally focused or psyched. He's always on a mission and plays with incredible pride. His style is loud ... mean ass tough.. no holds barred intimidation and take the opponent hard to the ground... ASAP ... football.

Bad ass...comes back as psyched, ready and strong (stronger) week - week - week for close to/or all of the 16 game schedule.

Bad ass... looks forward to a few beers after the game to replace fluids lost during that strenuous matchup.

"Screw the Gatorade...You kiddin' me man !?"

He want a few cold beers. He doesn't smoke... but damn, that "Mary Jane" sure helps deal with muscle pain and overall physical body fatigue.

Nice guy's BEST friend is ... BENGAY. Nice guy can't relax and stay in the hot tub. His wife want him home ASAP for some function that evening that's incredibly important.

Nice guy awakens Monday morn feeling like he fell off a horse.

Do you want "nice football player" on your team or "get the 'H' out of my way.... I've got a game to win today" football player?

GO PACK GO !