PDA

View Full Version : SCOTT PIOLI..............................THOUGHTS

Bretsky
02-01-2014, 07:36 AM
I thought he was a brilliant GM for New England. I know Hoody Genius gets much of the credit there, but I also think Pioli was a guy who had a deep deep understanding of the game and should be a GM in the NFL.

In reality, while IMO Hoody Genius may be the greatest coaches ever, he is a sub par GM. Pioli IMO kind of protected Hoody Genius at times from doing stupid things.....taking bad chances....etc.

I listened to Pioli the whole year on the NFL Network and wondered why in the hell would a brilliant GM not hire him as their assistant ?

Remember when we had Holmgren, Mariucci, Gruden, Rhodes, Reid............

Why can't ya build a dream team Personnell staff. Why couldn't TT hire Scott Pioli ?

One of the moves that went under the radar was the Atlanta GM hired Scott Pioli a couple weeks ago

BRILLIANT move IMO

But why not Green Bay ???????????

red
02-01-2014, 08:24 AM
egos

Carolina_Packer
02-01-2014, 08:44 AM
I imagine Eliot Wolf, given his roots, will become a hot commodity. TT is 61 years old, which is not ancient, but we don't now how much longer he wants to do the job, or, or if something might happen with the team where he is no longer effectively building a winner (hope not). Groom young Wolf. That would be cool.

Cleft Crusty
02-01-2014, 08:51 AM
I listened to Pioli the whole year on the NFL Network and wondered why in the hell would a brilliant GM not hire him as their assistant ?

Other than the know nothing ex-jocks on those networks, a lot of guys either end up on there because it's a good gig. A lot of GMs work around the clock with virtually no time off. It's a grueling business for all of them, and probably harder for the best. Perhaps Pioli doesn't want to be a GM - or an assistant. Perhaps he wants to spend more time with his family.

bobblehead
02-01-2014, 09:13 AM
egos

When Capers was hired, it was noted by several top personnel guys that Green Bay was assembling a dream team of defensive coaches. TT has had under him 3 guys who have become GM's. Is it really ego, or do we actually hire top notch people?

I just find it interesting that people still make an argument that TT and MM are set in their stupid ways. 5 straight playoff appearances, a superbowl win, a 15-1 season, one former staffer now a head coach, 3 former office guys now GM's. The preponderance of evidence is not on your side. This lynching of TT and MM reminds me of the Trayvon Martin case....no evidence to support the theory.

mraynrand
02-01-2014, 09:27 AM
This lynching of TT and MM reminds me of the Trayvon Martin case....no evidence to support the theory.

take it to FYI!

mraynrand
02-01-2014, 09:28 AM
When Capers was hired, it was noted by several top personnel guys that Green Bay was assembling a dream team of defensive coaches. TT has had under him 3 guys who have become GM's. Is it really ego, or do we actually hire top notch people?

I just find it interesting that people still make an argument that TT and MM are set in their stupid ways. 5 straight playoff appearances, a superbowl win, a 15-1 season, one former staffer now a head coach, 3 former office guys now GM's. The preponderance of evidence is not on your side.

If Thompson and Stubby were doing it right, we'd have 5 straight championships. You must like losing or something.

KYPack
02-01-2014, 10:01 AM
Which Pioli do you get? The brilliant guy who teamed with the hoody to win 3 SB's in 4 years.

Or the guy who ran half the people out of KC's FO with his paranoid bullshit?

Even Pioli admits he was a total asshole in KC (Pioli and Todd Haley may be the two biggest jerk-offs ever to run an NFL team).

He also cops to many mistakes and has said he can't do that bullshit in ATL.

It amazes me that Mike Smith is taking little heat for the ATL collapse, but Dimitroff is.

smuggler
02-01-2014, 10:17 AM
Did Mike Smith ever win Coach of the Year? Dimitroff won exec of the year like 3 times I think (makes no fucking sense, but there it is). When people laud you for being a great, great GM, and then your roster falls apart (because you traded 5 picks for a first round WR), you are going to feel the heat.

Pugger
02-02-2014, 09:06 AM
If Thompson and Stubby were doing it right, we'd have 5 straight championships. You must like losing or something.

Get real. Nobody wins 5 straight championships, not even Vince. :roll: Name me another team - other than NE - that has 5 straight playoff appearances since 2005?

Patler
02-02-2014, 10:12 AM
Did Mike Smith ever win Coach of the Year?

Yes, 2008.

pbmax
02-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Which Pioli do you get? The brilliant guy who teamed with the hoody to win 3 SB's in 4 years.

Or the guy who ran half the people out of KC's FO with his paranoid bullshit?

Even Pioli admits he was a total asshole in KC (Pioli and Todd Haley may be the two biggest jerk-offs ever to run an NFL team).

He also cops to many mistakes and has said he can't do that bullshit in ATL.

It amazes me that Mike Smith is taking little heat for the ATL collapse, but Dimitroff is.

Even the paranoid version guy brought in some talent. If Dimitroff can stop Scott from hanging out in the phone closet listening to calls, he could be useful.

The number one reason why established guys go back to work for someone when its a step down is previous relationship. See, Schneider, John after his year abroad with the Seahawks and Redskins, coming back to the Packers. Pioli worked with Dimitroff in New England.

pbmax
02-02-2014, 10:30 AM
As for coaching, bringing back people who have suffered at the hand of the Peter Principle is no guarantee of success. Or has everyone forgotten how unpopular Capers is? Trgo has struggled a bit as well on the D line.

McCarthy has had one coach who is now the OC of a pretty good franchise (McAdoo-Giants). He has two others who might be OCs in slightly less favorable circumstances (Clements and Van Pelt). Plus, believe it or not, Campen is considered a hot property. Not to mention Edgar Bennett, who I agree with Patler might be the Dick LeBeau of the Packer organization.

No matter what Exec Committee, President, GM or Head Coach is brought in next, Edgar will get a promotion on the offensive side of the ball and stay.

Patler
02-02-2014, 10:48 AM
As for coaching, bringing back people who have suffered at the hand of the Peter Principle is no guarantee of success. Or has everyone forgotten how unpopular Capers is? Trgo has struggled a bit as well on the D line.

McCarthy has had one coach who is now the OC of a pretty good franchise (McAdoo-Giants). He has two others who might be OCs in slightly less favorable circumstances (Clements and Van Pelt). Plus, believe it or not, Campen is considered a hot property. Not to mention Edgar Bennett, who I agree with Patler might be the Dick LeBeau of the Packer organization.

No matter what Exec Committee, President, GM or Head Coach is brought in next, Edgar will get a promotion on the offensive side of the ball and stay.

You bring up an interesting point, why hasn't Trgovac gotten more flak than he has for an under performing D-line? Very highly regarded before his stint as DC, but other than 2010 his D-lines in GB have not been impressive. I really liked his hiring in GB, and I expected D-lines that would be solid foundations for the defense.

I wonder what Edgar Bennett's goals are? OC? HC?

pbmax
02-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Man, I have to stop letting auto-text make changes and only then going back to edit myself. It produces more non-sense than usual.

Regarding Clements and Van Pelt it should have read " two others who MIGHT HAVE BEEN OCs in slightly less favorable circumstances if not for their contracts.