PDA

View Full Version : As a fan, what is tougher....?

Patler
02-03-2014, 09:08 AM
What type of Super Bowl loss is tougher to take:

- a game that goes down to the wire, that you know you could have won but for a play or two; or
- a game in which you are totally embarrassed, a game that is over 12 seconds into the 2nd half?

Joemailman
02-03-2014, 09:12 AM
Because I prefer to look ahead, the latter would be worse. The former gives me confidence that my team could win it all next year. The latter does not.

Patler
02-03-2014, 09:14 AM
Because I prefer to look ahead, the latter would be worse. The former gives me confidence that my team could win it all next year. The latter does not.

Me too. I always found hard fought losses, no matter how close, easier to accept than a blow-out loss.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Hard fought loss is always better. Just getting embarrassed is never a good thing.

Bossman641
02-03-2014, 10:15 AM
I think a close loss leads to a lot more second guessing and what-if analysis. It lingers a whole lot longer.

A blowout loss just leads to shell-shock.

Not SB's, but look at the games that still get mentioned here - Young to TO, 4th and 26, the loss at Arizona in OT, Fail Mary. For me, those games are much harder to watch or discuss then the Favre 6 INT game at STL, for example.

And I'm sorry in advance for ruining anyone's Monday morning by mentioning those games.

ThunderDan
02-03-2014, 10:19 AM
I think a close loss leads to a lot more second guessing and what-if analysis. It lingers a whole lot longer.

Not SB's, but look at the games that still get mentioned here - Young to TO, 4th and 26, the loss at Arizona in OT, Fail Mary. For me, those games are much harder to watch or discuss then the Favre 6 INT game at STL, for example.

And I'm sorry in advance for ruining anyone's Monday morning by mentioning those games.

My thoughts exactly.

I still remember the putts I missed when I missed qualifying for the US Open in 1997 by two strokes. When I missed a cut I just shrugged it off and drove to the next city.

Patler
02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
My thoughts exactly.

I still remember the putts I missed when I missed qualifying for the US Open in 1997 by two strokes. When I missed a cut I just shrugged it off and drove to the next city.

That is as a competitor. Is it different for a noncompetitor?

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-03-2014, 10:32 AM

You do have a point though. I can't get myself to watch those games because I always think of what if. The 6 pick game in STL you know you had no chance so even when you watch it you don't care. With that said, isn't what could have been better than we had no chance? I think so.

ThunderDan
02-03-2014, 10:49 AM
That is as a competitor. Is it different for a noncompetitor?

I still think I do the what ifs for the Packers also.

This season isn't as bad. If you asked at the beginning of the season how the Packers would do if you knew ARod and Matthews would each be out 8 or more weeks I would of said 6-10. That the team clawed and scraped to 8-7-1 makes me feel OK about the season.

Maybe the disappointment has more to do with the potential of the teams at that point. 4th and 26th hurt a lot.

TT certainly has a lot to look to fix on the defensive side of the ball. We need more talent at S, ILB and DL.

Cheesehead Craig
02-03-2014, 11:06 AM
I'd go with the blowout losses are worse. As a fan you get the feeling that your team didn't even deserve to be there.

Patler
02-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I still think I do the what ifs for the Packers also.

This season isn't as bad. If you asked at the beginning of the season how the Packers would do if you knew ARod and Matthews would each be out 8 or more weeks I would of said 6-10. That the team clawed and scraped to 8-7-1 makes me feel OK about the season.

Maybe the disappointment has more to do with the potential of the teams at that point. 4th and 26th hurt a lot.

TT certainly has a lot to look to fix on the defensive side of the ball. We need more talent at S, ILB and DL.

This season is just a big shrug for me. Hard to get too excited either way. Can't say that I saw them claw and scratch too much without Rodgers. They had some very winnable games in that time. I guess the comeback against MN showed some character, but I don't think it should have been that close even without Rodgers.

The defense makes my head spin. Collins-Hawk-Harrell-Lee-Raji-Matthews-Neal-Perry-Worthy-Hayward-Jones, all first and second round draft picks. Hodge-Rouse-Burnett in third rounds. While I certainly do not blame him for injuries, I am still asking myself what the heck is going on? Not a lot to show for all those picks, but there is still a chance for some of them. You would expect to have the guts of your defense come from those picks.

mraynrand
02-03-2014, 11:22 AM
I'll take the close loss any day, hands down. Part is because I'm a fan of the game, and I like a good game. The blow outs (either way) are the games where people fall asleep on the couch, drift in an out and groggily ask "Is it over?" The close games have you pacing the room, with a football in your hand, screaming and jumping around. For most of us the experience is completely vicarious, so the more exciting the better. Also, when you're close you can play the 'if' game and it's for real - if Hyde only had jumped an inch higher, the Packers win. We were competitive. That's good stuff.

mraynrand
02-03-2014, 11:26 AM
This season is just a big shrug for me. Hard to get too excited either way. Can't say that I saw them claw and scratch too much without Rodgers. They had some very winnable games in that time. I guess the comeback against MN showed some character, but I don't think it should have been that close even without Rodgers.

Hmmm...when Rodgers and all the injured guys were out, I was making comments that I hadn't planned on watching more exhibition football. Some of it was dreadful.

But the wins at Dallas and Chicago made the season. Those were great games and we won in Dallas and we beat our longest-standing rivals in another elimination game, and it was in the most exciting fashion possible. Tell me that wasn't even more exciting than Favre to Sharpe in 1993 at Detroit. Those two games are indelible marks on a lifetime - 40 years - of watching the Packers.

pbmax
02-03-2014, 11:50 AM
Overall, prefer close losses because as we have seen with Rodgers, that means the team is competitive.

But for my own peace of mind, I am with Dan and Bossman. far more difficult teasing out the lessons of the close loss than the blowout. As a fan, this is probably an illusion because I don't and perhaps can't know why or what to do about it, but that is how I spend my time as a fan.

Its easier to come up with a shopping list when the cupboards are bare.

MadtownPacker
02-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Getting blown out is embarrassing bullshit. Give me the heartbreaker anytime, at least it makes for good TV.

Patler
02-03-2014, 11:57 AM
But the wins at Dallas and Chicago made the season. Those were great games and we won in Dallas and we beat our longest-standing rivals in another elimination game, and it was in the most exciting fashion possible. Tell me that wasn't even more exciting than Favre to Sharpe in 1993 at Detroit. Those two games are indelible marks on a lifetime - 40 years - of watching the Packers.

Wasn't the win against Dallas just a lit bit more satisfying, too, because Aikman was in the broadcast booth to see it?

mraynrand
02-03-2014, 11:57 AM
Its easier to come up with a shopping list when the cupboards are bare.

That's the Cleveland in you talking. And you don't want to go to the grocery store with a bad shopper and a credit card that might get refused.

mraynrand
02-03-2014, 11:59 AM
Wasn't the win against Dallas just a lit bit more satisfying, too, because Aikman was in the broadcast booth to see it?

Yeah, and I enjoyed the exasperation in his voice as the Cowboys continued to throw it. I sensed he wanted to run out of the booth and down to the sidelines screaming "WTF are you guys doing!!" (I imagine in my little mind that he swore a lot during the commercial breaks!)

pbmax
02-03-2014, 12:47 PM
That's the Cleveland in you talking. And you don't want to go to the grocery store with a bad shopper and a credit card that might get refused.

Fair point. I prefer the team not have a bare cupboard and good credit. But if I had to make the list, I want to work for a terrible team where constraints on choices are fewer.

Patler
02-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Yeah, and I enjoyed the exasperation in his voice as the Cowboys continued to throw it. I sensed he wanted to run out of the booth and down to the sidelines screaming "WTF are you guys doing!!" (I imagine in my little mind that he swore a lot during the commercial breaks!)

Funny, I thought I heard him actually say that!

oldbutnotdeadyet
02-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Football is all about hope, so the close games are always easier to take, as there is hope for next year. Blow outs suck ass...

Freak Out
02-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Hate the blowout loss more than anything.

KYPack
02-03-2014, 02:57 PM
The other angle on this is a big SB loss can really reveal your weaknesses.

Denver can be beaten by solid front four pressure on Manning.

Easier said than done, but PM may get beat up next year by teams following that template.

Patler
02-03-2014, 03:53 PM
The other angle on this is a big SB loss can really reveal your weaknesses.

Denver can be beaten by solid front four pressure on Manning.

So, what you are saying is that Green Bay wouldn't have a chance against them?

Joemailman
02-03-2014, 04:02 PM
So, what you are saying is that Green Bay wouldn't have a chance against them?

The difference is that Rodgers can make some of their pass rushers miss, giving him time to go downfield. You can't beat that defense 5 yards at a time.

pbmax
02-03-2014, 04:15 PM
The difference is that Rodgers can make some of their pass rushers miss, giving him time to go downfield. You can't beat that defense 5 yards at a time.

Free Derek Sherrod!

smuggler
02-03-2014, 04:22 PM
May or may not have said this already. Manning does not deal with pressure very well (considering he's an elite QB). That doesn't mean he can't handle a blitz, but his usual tactic of quick 1-2 second passes doesn't work as well against a defense that plays the flats and the heart of the field that well. The only open receivers (with good prospects for yardage) were on 20+ yard routes and Peyton couldn't deliver his passes because he was hurried all damn night.

Compare this to Rodgers v Atlanta Falcons in 2010's playoffs ... He was frequently hurried by John Abraham, but evaded the pressure and bought time for the underneath stuff to open up. Peyton has never been able to do that, and it would definitely have helped in this one. (R Wilson was pulling it off!)

Rutnstrut
02-03-2014, 04:52 PM

On a related note, sometimes when listening to the Pack on the radio I am sure Larry McCarren is a sliver away from dropping a string of profanity when the Packers do something stupid.

Pugger
02-03-2014, 06:58 PM

I still refuse to watch any clips of our SB loss to the donkeys.

Bretsky
02-04-2014, 08:43 PM
As a fan, in the end I'd rather get my ass kicked; otherwise I beat myself down for years with plays like the fail mary

When I coach, in the end I'd way rather get my ass kicked than lose by a point. I still remember bad coaching calls I made over twenty years ago

Pugger
02-04-2014, 11:52 PM
As a fan, in the end I'd rather get my ass kicked; otherwise I beat myself down for years with plays like the fail mary

When I coach, in the end I'd way rather get my ass kicked than lose by a point. I still remember bad coaching calls I made over twenty years ago

When you lose a close one you agonize over what were the one or two plays that caused you to lose. It can keep you up at night if you are a player or coach. When you get blown out it is embarrassing but you don't beat yourself up over it. You just reload and retool towards the next game/season. Folks often remember heartbreaking loses more than blowouts.

bobblehead
02-05-2014, 09:51 AM
You do have a point though. I can't get myself to watch those games because I always think of what if. The 6 pick game in STL you know you had no chance so even when you watch it you don't care. With that said, isn't what could have been better than we had no chance? I think so.

Thanx for rekindling that memory. I just got a paper cut, got any lime juice?

bobblehead
02-05-2014, 09:52 AM
I'd go with the blowout losses are worse. As a fan you get the feeling that your team didn't even deserve to be there.

I get over these faster. I tend to just say "meh...they played for shit." For some reason this is more comforting than playing a good game and losing.

bobblehead
02-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Free Derek Sherrod!

Ya dumb son of a bitch (lethal weapon reference.)

Zool
02-05-2014, 11:02 AM
Ya dumb son of a bitch (lethal weapon reference.)

But.....but....but.....you're black