PDA

View Full Version : BJ Raji 2013 grade from Jersey Al

Zool
02-04-2014, 09:46 AM
http://jerseyal.com/GBP/2014/02/04/bj-raji-green-bay-packers-2013-evaluation-and-report-card/

Discuss

denverYooper
02-04-2014, 09:53 AM
There seems to be a trend between his snap count and his performance. They should have played him more.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2014, 10:09 AM
lol F+

Pugger
02-04-2014, 10:09 AM
I found his play this year disturbing. One would think in a contract year he would have played much better than he did in anticipation of a big pay day. Don't think other GMs don't notice that kind of thing. The fact that he turned down our offer speaks volumes to me. Unless he finds the market about as enthusiastic for him like James Jones did a couple of years ago he'll be someone else's problem. Maybe we'll get lucky and some AFC team will overpay for his services - like NE?

denverYooper
02-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I found his play this year disturbing. One would think in a contract year he would have played much better than he did in anticipation of a big pay day. Don't think other GMs don't notice that kind of thing. The fact that he turned down our offer speaks volumes to me. Unless he finds the market about as enthusiastic for him like James Jones did a couple of years ago he'll be someone else's problem. Maybe we'll get lucky and some AFC team will overpay for his services - like NE?

New England doesn't strike me as that team that will overpay for Raji.

denverYooper
02-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Watch him go to Jacksonville and flourish in Bradley's version of the Carroll 4-3.

KYPack
02-04-2014, 10:37 AM
lol F+

Really.

What is an F+ anyway?

If he improves next year, will he get a D- from some other "grader"?

red
02-04-2014, 10:40 AM

i don't know if i can think of anyone, that didn't get injured, that played so badly in a contract year

pbmax
02-04-2014, 10:46 AM
I almost want to pay for Pro Football Focus to understand how they justify classifying him as an end.

In the base 3-4 Eagle Oakie, he lines up at a 3 technique mostly associated with a 4-3 DT. In nickel when he played versus the run, he was a DT. He almost never played end.

Doesn't make his year any better, but it makes the position comparisons useless.

pbmax
02-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Things very unlikely to be true:

It’s quite possible that Raji had already given up on resigning with the Packers and was just trying to get out of the 3-4 system, but it’s unlikely that such a poor performance will garner him much attention of 4-3 defensive teams after this year.

Mule fritters. I would be surprised if he has trouble surpassing the $8 million average offered. As the article points out, ti could all be funny money, but we'll see.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2014, 10:56 AM
Things very unlikely to be true:

Mule fritters. I would be surprised if he has trouble surpassing the $8 million average offered. As the article points out, ti could all be funny money, but we'll see.

What sucks is that even if Raji did want out all year, if he had played better the tag and trade option would have been more likely. I wonder if we can get some team like say the Jets to trade for him if we do tag him. Raji and our 2nd for the Jets 1st? Probably not happening, just hate losing him and getting nothing in return.

Patler
02-04-2014, 10:59 AM
What sucks is that even if Raji did want out all year, if he had played better the tag and trade option would have been more likely. I wonder if we can get some team like say the Jets to trade for him if we do tag him. Raji and our 2nd for the Jets 1st? Probably not happening, just hate losing him and getting nothing in return.

They'll likely get a comp pick in 2015 if they let him go.

pittstang5
02-04-2014, 11:00 AM
i don't know if i can think of anyone, that didn't get injured, that played so badly in a contract year

Which leads me to, two possible conspiracy theories.

1. He doesn't care anymore.

Weren't there work ethic questions prior to his drafting? I can't say I noticed anything like that until this season. He was there, just to be there and get a check. Maybe he's lost that loving football feeling.

2. He already knows where he's going in 2014.

I don't buy that player's and their agents don't talk to other teams until a specific date when it comes to FA. Is it possible that Raji already knows where he's going? Even worse, could there have been a verbal agreement with let's say the Vikings or Bears. Hey Raji - tank this season and we'll give you 9 - 10 mil next year for us. A HUGE stretch, but anything is possible.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2014, 11:02 AM
They'll likely get a comp pick in 2015 if they let him go.

Right, I guess I meant getting something more substantial in return.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Which leads me to, two possible conspiracy theories.

1. He doesn't care anymore.

Weren't there work ethic questions prior to his drafting? I can't say I noticed anything like that until this season. He was there, just to be there and get a check. Maybe he's lost that loving football feeling.

2. He already knows where he's going in 2014.

I don't buy that player's and their agents don't talk to other teams until a specific date when it comes to FA. Is it possible that Raji already knows where he's going? Even worse, could there have been a verbal agreement with let's say the Vikings or Bears. Hey Raji - tank this season and we'll give you 9 - 10 mil next year for us. A HUGE stretch, but anything is possible.

Seriously doubt number 2 because he can't predict if the packers will tag him or not. More likely that he wanted to leave so bad that he was willing to lose some money and play bad just to get out of town.

3irty1
02-04-2014, 11:58 AM
I almost want to pay for Pro Football Focus to understand how they justify classifying him as an end.

In the base 3-4 Eagle Oakie, he lines up at a 3 technique mostly associated with a 4-3 DT. In nickel when he played versus the run, he was a DT. He almost never played end.

Doesn't make his year any better, but it makes the position comparisons useless.

I'm guessing they call both of the down lineman positions DE's in a 2-4 as its typically the NT who would leave the field in that sub-package.

packrulz
02-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Obviously the effort wasn't there but I'm not sure he's sulking about his contract. Without Clay there BJ was the only one worth double teaming, and the D line was a plug and play bunch this year with all the injuries. He probably got sick of busting his ass by himself when he wasn't getting any help. I still think he can be good if the rest of the line gets healthy.

mraynrand
02-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Really.

What is an F+ anyway?

If he improves next year, will he get a D- from some other "grader"?

Another D minus?

http://img0.etsystatic.com/001/0/5283029/il_570xN.392585892_eybc.jpg

Rutnstrut
02-05-2014, 12:21 PM
"He probably got sick of busting his ass by himself when he wasn't getting any help."

Boo fucking hoo, I feel so sorry for the poor, over payed POS. If that is the case it shows no heart, they don't need players like that on this team. All the talent in the world will not make up for playing with no heart.

Joemailman
02-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Obviously the effort wasn't there but I'm not sure he's sulking about his contract. Without Clay there BJ was the only one worth double teaming, and the D line was a plug and play bunch this year with all the injuries. He probably got sick of busting his ass by himself when he wasn't getting any help. I still think he can be good if the rest of the line gets healthy.

I don't think I want to give millions to a guy who can only be good if everybody else is healthy. When injuries hit, you want your best players to elevate their game, not regress.

smuggler
02-06-2014, 02:54 AM
He is not worth keeping. Find a replacement. Maybe Nix will fall to us in the draft.

run pMc
02-06-2014, 08:14 AM
He is not worth keeping at $8 million a year. Find a replacement. Maybe Nix will fall to us in the draft.

FIFY

I'd be ok with Nix. They'll have to draft at least one DL -- I don't see them keeping more than 2 of Raji, Pickett, Wilson and Jolly (who may have a career-ending injury). Raji's got talent, but he didn't seem to play to it, and it seems like he's miscast in Capers' scheme. I don't see how GB can keep him on the roster and have him be happy, well paid and productive.

I'd only draft a DL in R1 if a really good fit fell to 21, otherwise I think they can find some fatties on Day 3, and the FA DL market is rumored to have a lot of passable players. I haven't seen much of Nix, but I think he could play NT for GB. Pickett can come back and mentor the young guys, and then they hope Worthy/Boyd/Datone show something. If Wilson isn't pissed about not playing they can bring him back but I wouldn't be surprised if he's gone. If Jolly gets cleared to play I'd bring him back over Wilson.

MadScientist
02-06-2014, 01:15 PM
There were some telling comments from TT/MM about some players tanking after Rodgers injury, and all signs point to Raji being one. The crappy play would make sense if he was more worried about not getting an injury than about playing well. The only way he's back is if the whole league looks at the film and decides to pass, forcing Raji to beg TT for a make-good contract.

If Jolly comes back and they can squeeze one more year out of Pickett, I would still like to see them draft a stud safety (if available) over a DL. Nick Collins and Seattle proved how important safeties are.

wist43
02-06-2014, 05:04 PM
None of the front 7 (6) guys can be properly evaluated and graded - none of 'em.

Same goes for the secondary.

Capers throws such a mess out there every week, and misuses every player on the roster to such an extent that you simply can't evaluate them - and as such, you can't hold them accountable.

If I were Raji, I would have cleaned out my locker the day we lost to the Niners, and not looked in the rearview mirror lest I see Dom Capers in it.

Capers wasted Raji's best years... I hope he latches on with a team that will use him properly and wish him the best of luck. He's a good dude and a good player.

bobblehead
02-07-2014, 05:51 AM
None of the front 7 (6) guys can be properly evaluated and graded - none of 'em.

Same goes for the secondary.

Capers throws such a mess out there every week, and misuses every player on the roster to such an extent that you simply can't evaluate them - and as such, you can't hold them accountable.

If I were Raji, I would have cleaned out my locker the day we lost to the Niners, and not looked in the rearview mirror lest I see Dom Capers in it.

Capers wasted Raji's best years... I hope he latches on with a team that will use him properly and wish him the best of luck. He's a good dude and a good player.

wist, I tend to agree with you on most things Capers/defense, but this is a classic overstatement. Its easy enough to evaluate a guys motor, his one on one matchups, and his ability to execute his assignment (even if its a bad one).

hoosier
02-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Raji’s 2013 season as a whole can be considered a lowlight; Raji ranked second to last in ProFootballFocus’s 3-4 defensive end metrics and was clearly not doing much despite recording 666 snaps.

Raji's inability to be a beast in 2013 is all in the numbers.

mraynrand
02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
Raji's inability to be a beast in 2013 is all in the numbers.

I see what you did there. What is the number of the beast mode?

Zool
02-07-2014, 12:55 PM
I see what you did there. What is the number of the beast mode?

What ever Prince Fielder's jersey number was when he brought it into the public lexicon back in 2010-2011.

smuggler
02-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Raji is not good at doing what Capers asks him to do. We already know that Capers won't change the scheme and the Packers won't change the DC.

Even if Raji is better than whomever we could replace him with, he's not $4mil or $6mil a year better, so he's gone. Bye bye, Raji. Thanks for 2010.

wist43
02-07-2014, 06:21 PM
wist, I tend to agree with you on most things Capers/defense, but this is a classic overstatement. Its easy enough to evaluate a guys motor, his one on one matchups, and his ability to execute his assignment (even if its a bad one).

I'd imagine for Raji it had to be dispiriting when the Packers didn't fire Capers. He knew full well he was in for another full season of misuse. I knew he was - he certainly had to understand that too...

Capers mismanaged everyone on that defense - he absolutely should have been fired last year, and certainly it was a no-brainer to fire him this year; yet, there he sits.

Now Raji is going to be gone, Neal is gone, and who knows which if any of Pickett, Wilson, and Jolly will be back?? Perry is a fish out of water at OLB, Jones and Hawk combine to form a deficient duo in the middle, and Matthews can't stay healthy.

If I'm a front seven player?? Regardless of 3-4 or 4-3... I wouldn't even consider signing with Green Bay as long as Capers is there. We're in for another dismal season of Capers trying to fit round pegs into square holes, and snap after agonizing snap of 2-4 alignments designed to get the ball run down our throats.

We're going to be having this same conversation next year - and Capers still won't be fired.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Perry is definitely a fish out of water at OLB. I'm seriously hoping they move him to DE next year and find a way to bring back Neal and Shields.

I feel like living in a fantasy world for this post...Tag Raji and trade him with our second for someones first. Then draft Clinton-dix and Mosley round one.

................Burnett.........Clinton-dix

Shields........................................... .Williams
Hayward..........................................H yde
House

....................Hawk....Mosley (Lattimore)
Matthews...................................Neal (Palmer/Mulumba)
................Perry...Draft pick...Jones (Daniels/Worthy/Boyd)

Defense fixed! Okay back to real life now.

pbmax
02-07-2014, 11:24 PM
Raji is not good at doing what Capers asks him to do. We already know that Capers won't change the scheme and the Packers won't change the DC.

Even if Raji is better than whomever we could replace him with, he's not $4mil or $6mil a year better, so he's gone. Bye bye, Raji. Thanks for 2010.

He has adjusted it, moving Raji out of the nose and 5 tech DE while playing a lot of his 3-4 Eagle Oakie, which puts Raji at a 3 tech.

But Capers is asking him to 2 gap and occupy a blocker before moving upfield and he is terrible at it.

pbmax
02-07-2014, 11:27 PM
We're going to be having this same conversation next year - and Capers still won't be fired.

The team could stop buying round pegs and buy some square ones. Raji is easy to understand as the Packers early 1st round pick. Huge, fast, quick, athletic and strong. Hard to pass up that package. Not the best fit from his profile but Thompson was retooling to a 3-4 on the fly and he got two pretty good pieces in the first round. If he's not back next year, he had two great years, two poor and one average. Not the worst way to spend a first contract. You want to do better at 9, but that's the way it works out.

wist43
02-08-2014, 07:33 AM
I loved the Raji pick... I wanted him or Orakpo. Raji wasn't a wasted pick at 9 - in his first couple of years he was used properly, i.e. as a 1-gap penetrator and disrupter. He generated pressure, collapsed the pocket, and garnered decent sack numbers for an interior d-lineman.

Then of course Jenkins walked, TT did nothing the help the defense in the '11 draft, and Capers decided that Raji should be something he isn't - a 2-gap, space occupying, run stuffer. Raji has been junk ever since, and our defense has sucked ever since.

Seriously, the problem is Capers - and it is all on Capers.

We simply cannot evaluate any of the defensive personnel as long as they are cast into roles that not only do not maximize their skill set, but in fact do the opposite. It would be like asking me to sit down and write a sentence left-handed, and then complaining that it is sloppy and unreadable - never considering that I'm strongly right-handed, and my left hand is all-but useless.

I don't put the blame on any of the players. Capers has to go.

mraynrand
02-08-2014, 09:02 AM
Then of course Jenkins walked, TT did nothing the help the defense in the '11 draft, and Capers decided that Raji should be something he isn't - a 2-gap, space occupying, run stuffer. Raji has been junk ever since, and our defense has sucked ever since.

Seriously, the problem is Capers - and it is all on Capers.

If it's all Capers, then why blame TT? Maybe Capers was just stuck with the square peg fitting the round hole that TT didn't fill. In the salary cap era, this kind of thing has been known to happen.

Fritz
02-08-2014, 09:43 AM
Ted has drafted some weird defensive players, considering the type of defense they run. Raji is one, and Jerel Worthy is another. The dude's best traits - the quick penetration, the upfield movement - do not fit the profile of the kind of defensive lineman they need for Capers. I suspect Raji and Worthy both could do pretty well in a more traditional 4-3.

Ted's not fitting the player to the system, I believe.

smuggler
02-08-2014, 10:05 AM
I've become more and more convinced we should take Nix. Time will tell...

bobblehead
02-08-2014, 11:18 AM
Ted has drafted some weird defensive players, considering the type of defense they run. Raji is one, and Jerel Worthy is another. The dude's best traits - the quick penetration, the upfield movement - do not fit the profile of the kind of defensive lineman they need for Capers. I suspect Raji and Worthy both could do pretty well in a more traditional 4-3.

Ted's not fitting the player to the system, I believe.

I don't buy it. 2010 we were coming off the 4-3 and had a ton of miscast guys....still the D was good and we won the superbowl. Losing Collins, aging Woodson, losing Bishop were bad blows.

Joemailman
02-08-2014, 04:07 PM
I don't buy it. 2010 we were coming off the 4-3 and had a ton of miscast guys....still the D was good and we won the superbowl. Losing Collins, aging Woodson, losing Bishop were bad blows.

2009 was the first year of the 3-4. That was the rookie year of Matthews and Raji.

bobblehead
02-08-2014, 05:35 PM
2009 was the first year of the 3-4. That was the rookie year of Matthews and Raji.

don't trifle me with details!!

Fritz
02-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Obviously I have been and am a big supporter of TT's, but at the same time I do wonder what he's doing when he drafts guys that clearly don't fit what Capers is trying to do. I mean, I kinda get Raji - you had a shot at a very talented big body, and those don't come around, but what about Worthy? And he really seemed to put all his safety eggs in the McMillan basket.

I just don't quite understand why he's not drafting big bulls later in the draft to eat up blockers and space, and using earlier picks on safeties and linebackers.

But it's easy to type behind a keyboard, so all this is just some casual fan's random observation. Maybe Worthy will turn into the next Cullen Jenkins and maybe TT will draft a safety in the fifth round who will be great immediately.

bobblehead
02-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I just don't quite understand why he's not drafting big bulls later in the draft to eat up blockers and space, and using earlier picks on safeties and linebackers.

Sounds an awful lot like CJ Wilson...except that MM and Capers left him inactive all year.

Fritz
02-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Good point. I wonder why his playing time fell off the map.

Joemailman
02-09-2014, 09:42 AM
Good point. I wonder why his playing time fell off the map.

I think Wilson was basically replaced by Jolly. He was only active for 8 games all year. He could be back more prominently next year if Jolly is done.

bobblehead
02-09-2014, 09:45 AM
I think Wilson was basically replaced by Jolly. He was only active for 8 games all year. He could be back more prominently next year if Jolly is done.

Except that he likely will go to a team that uses him.

pbmax
02-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Wilson plays just like Raji did this year. He gets tied up by one guy and has trouble getting off the block. He is stout but inactive a lot of time. He did flash some pursuit when he did get in this year.

bobblehead
02-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Wilson plays just like Raji did this year. He gets tied up by one guy and has trouble getting off the block. He is stout but inactive a lot of time. He did flash some pursuit when he did get in this year.

I believe he led the DL in tackles per snap several times in his short career. I watch line play closer than most, and when CJ is on the field I don't see him getting tied up by one guy. I usually see him getting off blocks and making tackles....but I probably shouldn't believe my lying eyes backed up by statistics.