PDA

View Full Version : If Raji Is Lost, Can Boyd Fill The Void?

pbmax
02-09-2014, 11:29 AM
If Raji tries to hookup with John Teerlinck and a one gap, get up the field 4-3 scheme somewhere, can Josh Boyd fill the need the Packers will have for a starter?

Will he be more Pickett, Raji or Jolly in playing style?

Joemailman
02-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I would think Jolly, but we've seen so little of him it's hard to say.

I remember Trgovac in the summer talking about how Boyd was having to learn to do some things he didn't have to do in college. I took that to mean learning to play 2 gap instead of one gap. He did very little in the preseason, but must have learned some things as he made a few impressive plays late in the regular season.

pbmax
02-09-2014, 11:35 AM
He played a bit more at the end of the season, especially after Jolly got hurt. He has a bit more quickness than Jolly and is not yet as stout, but I think he is the closest comparison.

He might even be more like a bigger Corey Williams.

3irty1
02-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Here is a quote from the only 2013 mock draft (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25382-Mockzilla-2013&highlight=2013+mock) that I posted:

Pick #167 (comp)
Josh Boyd | DT | Mississippi State
6’3” 310 lbs
My favorite fit for our 2-gap 30 front in this draft. Boyd is an exceptionally smooth athlete for a big man. He’s not going to penetrate gaps or rack up sacks but he can control a man with his length and playing strength. He’s also got a non-stop motor for making plays in pursuit. Similar player to John Jolly, a guy you can never get enough of.

Joemailman
02-09-2014, 04:47 PM
Here is a quote from the only 2013 mock draft (http://packerrats.com/showthread.php?25382-Mockzilla-2013&highlight=2013+mock) that I posted:

Pick #167 (comp)
Josh Boyd | DT | Mississippi State
6’3” 310 lbs
My favorite fit for our 2-gap 30 front in this draft. Boyd is an exceptionally smooth athlete for a big man. He’s not going to penetrate gaps or rack up sacks but he can control a man with his length and playing strength. He’s also got a non-stop motor for making plays in pursuit. Similar player to John Jolly, a guy you can never get enough of.

Nice pick on Boyd. In 2006, I correctly predicted TT taking Jolly on the 6th round, so maybe Boyd is destined to replace Jolly. I'd be happy to see both of them with the Packers though.

bobblehead
02-09-2014, 06:22 PM
Nice pick on Boyd. In 2006, I correctly predicted TT taking Jolly on the 6th round, so maybe Boyd is destined to replace Jolly. I'd be happy to see both of them with the Packers though.

Both would be nice...assuming he is like Jolly

smuggler
02-10-2014, 10:02 AM
They should definitely draft an NT prospect, but I am optimistic about Boyd

hoosier
02-10-2014, 11:17 AM
In the best of worlds Boyd is a slight upgrade on Jolly, or is at least a Jolly who can stay on the field. Even if they re-sign Pickett they still need to find his replacement in FA or draft.

Cheesehead Craig
02-11-2014, 11:40 AM
I think the better question is, are we better off with Boyd or Raji?

Striker
02-11-2014, 12:02 PM
I think the better question is, are we better off with Boyd or Raji?

Boyd. Raji seemingly mailed it in last season. It's even more unsettling considering it was a contract year for him.

smuggler
02-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Boyd. Raji would cost millions more and you really can't trust him if you tag him. That is the only way he com es back at this point.

run pMc
02-12-2014, 08:02 AM
I'm going with Boyd.
Men as big and athletic as Raji are rare. That said, his motor is hot-cold and he's not a great fit for Capers' 3-4. He's also going to want a lot of money, but honestly I don't see who's going to pay him $8M+/yr based on his last two years.
It would be nice to keep his talent, but honestly I think they could do about as well with Boyd. Agree they should sign Pickett for a bit over the vet minimum and draft another DL.
Worthy coming back gives them another body, but I think at most 2 of Raji, Pickett, Wilson and Jolly will be back. They probably only dress 5 DL on game day anyway.

Pugger
02-12-2014, 10:04 AM
They should definitely draft an NT prospect, but I am optimistic about Boyd

This.

3irty1
02-12-2014, 10:17 AM
I agree that Raji will probably walk. Pretty much any fair offer we were to make him at this point would mean a paycut and making those offers would likely be an insult at this time. If the market for him really is as good as he seems to think, we'll have no problems tagging and trading him. If the market is about as enthusiastic about him as the Packers are, the Packers can reach out to him with a fair offer after he's been humbled. If its anywhere in between we're getting yet another comp pick to show for a 27 year man who's been to the pro bowl. FML

Guiness
02-12-2014, 11:23 AM
I'm going with Boyd.
Men as big and athletic as Raji are rare. That said, his motor is hot-cold and he's not a great fit for Capers' 3-4. He's also going to want a lot of money, but honestly I don't see who's going to pay him $8M+/yr based on his last two years.
It would be nice to keep his talent, but honestly I think they could do about as well with Boyd. Agree they should sign Pickett for a bit over the vet minimum and draft another DL.
Worthy coming back gives them another body, but I think at most 2 of Raji, Pickett, Wilson and Jolly will be back. They probably only dress 5 DL on game day anyway.

Not so sure Picket comes back on the cheap.

He made what, about $7M last year? (a bit less I think) and played up to that value. He might be 34, but it's not like you're worried about a DT losing a step, and he's been injury free - played all 16 games these past two seasons. I think he can be brought back if the team wants him, but it won't be for near the vet minimum, more likely (I hate putting numbers to these things) 3 years $12M.

mraynrand
02-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Not so sure Picket comes back on the cheap.

He made what, about $7M last year? (a bit less I think) and played up to that value. He might be 34, but it's not like you're worried about a DT losing a step, and he's been injury free - played all 16 games these past two seasons. I think he can be brought back if the team wants him, but it won't be for near the vet minimum, more likely (I hate putting numbers to these things) 3 years $12M.

I don't think it's fair to say Pick was injury free. He played with some nagging leg injuries that clearly limited him. At his age that's inevitable, and frankly his career could end real fast from that stuff (not to say that any player's career can't end suddenly, but the likelihood of it happening to Pick because of accumulated injuries seems much higher).

Guiness
02-12-2014, 01:08 PM
I don't think it's fair to say Pick was injury free. He played with some nagging leg injuries that clearly limited him. At his age that's inevitable, and frankly his career could end real fast from that stuff (not to say that any player's career can't end suddenly, but the likelihood of it happening to Pick because of accumulated injuries seems much higher).

True, he was hampered. Still, he made his way onto the field for 16 games, the Pack has what, 1 or 2 other guys that can say that?

mraynrand
02-12-2014, 02:12 PM
True, he was hampered. Still, he made his way onto the field for 16 games, the Pack has what, 1 or 2 other guys that can say that?

Should the Packers have a sign over the training room: Abandon hope, all Ye who enter?

Patler
02-12-2014, 02:50 PM
Should the Packers have a sign over the training room: Abandon hope, all Ye who enter?

I think a simple "Keep Out" would be better.

run pMc
02-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Maybe a poster of Justin Harrell that says "You Can't Make The Club In The Tub".

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I think a simple "Keep Out" would be better.

:)

Joemailman
02-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Actually, I think Wist has that sign near his television during football season.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Actually, I think Wist has that sign near his television during football season.

LOL. repped

Freak Out
02-13-2014, 07:12 PM
Boyd who?

Jimx29
02-14-2014, 05:54 PM
https://twitter.com/NEPD_Loyko/status/434454043235471361

smuggler
02-14-2014, 06:42 PM
Everyone knew that was the case. Hopefully the team tries some new things with the dline in this next season