PDA

View Full Version : TOP 25 FREE AGENTS

Bretsky
02-11-2014, 08:10 PM
And look at Number 20...with the best fit....GREEN BAY PACKERS

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/02/11/top-25-free-agents-jimmy-graham-greg-hardy-eric-decker-knowshon-moreno/5390341/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Bretsky
02-11-2014, 08:11 PM
I must admit as I was looking down the list....reading the best fit....I pondered if they would just elminate GB since we have forgotten the top 25 crew since they actually have to be pursued

Joemailman
02-11-2014, 08:33 PM
Whitner would be great. So would T.J. Ward (#17), who just might be looking to escape that nuthouse in Cleveland.

pbmax
02-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Whitner would be great. So would T.J. Ward (#17), who just might be looking to escape that nuthouse in Cleveland.

Kinda like a mini-USFL draft. Or the Supplemental Draft when 'the U' gets put on probation in April.

Bretsky
02-11-2014, 08:40 PM

I'd take either of them in a GB uni over guys like Finley or Jones
Of course we might need to make an effort during our annual Hibernation period and go make a deal happen.
Perhaps Whitner might not be heavily pursued right off the bat and we could wait for the price to come down; not sure.
With Ward I think some team who needs a solid starting safety will go close a deal

Tony Oday
02-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Orakpo and Whitner...TT goes off in FA, shocks Packer Nation by nabbing both at 12:01.

3irty1
02-12-2014, 10:36 AM
Whitner is a probowler and could cost 7M or so and doesn't really give us the center fielder we need to free up Burnett. On top of that it doesn't seem like a TT move to take a big swing at a 5'10" defensive back. I like Chris Clemons in Miami a lot more as a better fit for a better price.

Guiness
02-12-2014, 11:14 AM
I wonder what happens with Byrd.

He played under the tag last year, and the Bills weren't able to sign him. Tagging him again would trigger the 120% clause and cost them about $8.5M. Not to mention he missed a good part of the season when he and the team disagreed about whether or not he was recovered from surgery.

Cheesehead Craig
02-12-2014, 11:36 AM
Frankly, I'd be happy with any of the S on that list. Any of them would improve the situation back there by a good margin.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 11:43 AM
Roman Harper anyone?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/will-smith-roman-harper-could-be-dumped-very-soon-by-the-saints/

Zool
02-12-2014, 12:25 PM
Roman Harper anyone?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/11/will-smith-roman-harper-could-be-dumped-very-soon-by-the-saints/

I don't know if this holds any water, but here's a report from a Saints fan.

Roman Harper is one of the worst safeties in the league right now. I appreciate all he’s done and at one point he was very good at what he does, but honestly he should have been gone two years ago. In the saints-niners divisional round, vernon davis caught the game winning touchdown right in front of roman. If he wasn’t slow as dirt he could have picked that ball maybe we have another Lombardi. Watch every big play against us these last two years and I can almost guarantee that all you’ll see is a number 41 jersey getting left behind in the dust. This upcoming draft is gonna be huge for us and hopefully the graham deal doesnt bleed us dry so we can get some FAs

Guiness
02-12-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't know if this holds any water, but here's a report from a Saints fan.

Roman Harper is one of the worst safeties in the league right now. I appreciate all he’s done and at one point he was very good at what he does, but honestly he should have been gone two years ago. In the saints-niners divisional round, vernon davis caught the game winning touchdown right in front of roman. If he wasn’t slow as dirt he could have picked that ball maybe we have another Lombardi. Watch every big play against us these last two years and I can almost guarantee that all you’ll see is a number 41 jersey getting left behind in the dust. This upcoming draft is gonna be huge for us and hopefully the graham deal doesnt bleed us dry so we can get some FAs

news for that fan: the Graham deal is going to bleed you dry. That and Brees cap number the year after ($23M?) that is going to force a renegotiation.

Fritz
02-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't know if this holds any water, but here's a report from a Packers fan.

__________ is one of the worst safeties in the league right now. Honestly he should have been gone two years ago. In the Packers- _____ playoff round, _____ ____ caught the game winning touchdown right in front of ________. If he wasn’t slow as dirt he could have picked that ball maybe we have another Lombardi. Watch every big play against us these last two years and I can almost guarantee that all you’ll see is a number __ jersey getting left behind in the dust. This upcoming draft is gonna be huge for us and hopefully the Raji/Shields/Jones deal doesnt bleed us dry so we can get some FAs

There. Now you can plug in the name of any Packer safety over the past two years, and - wala! - you've got the script.

denverYooper
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
There. Now you can plug in the name of any Packer safety over the past two years, and - wala! - you've got the script.

Well done on the Mad Lib-izing, good sir!

Striker
02-12-2014, 07:53 PM
FWIW -

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
From Total Access: I’m told #Packers plan to spend money on outside free agents this year with nearly $30M in cap space. Could most in years

What is #Packers plan? They want to re-make their D in Dom Capers’ image, going more athletic & versatile up front. May mean goodbye to Raji

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Don’t be surprised if #Packers DLs now weigh closer to 290 than the 330 that Ryan Pickett & BJ Raji weigh. Will get much faster, too

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
Yes. Packers DLs will likely more resemble Datone Jones RT @sorenson11: @RapSheet like Datone's weight?

Brandon494
02-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Forget about Whitner with all the big hit penalties he brings, draft Ed Reynolds from Stanford.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 08:56 PM
FWIW -

From Total Access: I’m told #Packers plan to spend money on outside free agents this year with nearly $30M in cap space. Could most in years

What is #Packers plan? They want to re-make their D in Dom Capers’ image, going more athletic & versatile up front. May mean goodbye to Raji

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Don’t be surprised if #Packers DLs now weigh closer to 290 than the 330 that Ryan Pickett & BJ Raji weigh. Will get much faster, too

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
Yes. Packers DLs will likely more resemble Datone Jones RT @sorenson11: @RapSheet like Datone's weight?

Was coming here to post this Striker. I think it needs it own thread and you should get lead.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 08:58 PM
Packers want to get after the QB up front. That’s a huge focus. RT @WilliamJanssen6: @RapSheet Good News Ian! #PackersForLife

wist43
02-13-2014, 04:31 AM
Guys, lol... we're talking about TT here. The odds that he cracks open the checkbook for anyone he didn't draft are remote.

We're going to sign a dumpster full of street FA's, and move down in the draft to get more picks... I seriously doubt TT will change his approach. Talk of FA's is akin to ginning up the rabble at the tavern b/c everyone is bored.

Bretsky
02-13-2014, 06:20 AM
Guys, lol... we're talking about TT here. The odds that he cracks open the checkbook for anyone he didn't draft are remote.

We're going to sign a dumpster full of street FA's, and move down in the draft to get more picks... I seriously doubt TT will change his approach. Talk of FA's is akin to ginning up the rabble at the tavern b/c everyone is bored.

With the exception of one year, the ray of hope turns into disappointment; that is free agency as a Packer Fan

3irty1
02-13-2014, 06:48 AM
With all the FA we have expiring this season the comp picks will factor into Ted's decisions too. On the one hand, there are potential mid-round comp picks to lose on guys like Raji by signing big time free agents, on the other hand if enough guys walk we'll easily max out and have nothing to lose by signing a few guys.

bobblehead
02-13-2014, 07:08 AM

There are indicators to say that this is the year he signs a couple "more than reject" FA's. I have hilighted them in other threads.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 09:03 AM
" youngsters who may be poised for a star turn (Ben Tate, Toby Gerhart)"

Toby Gearhead? really?

run pMc
02-13-2014, 03:14 PM
" youngsters who may be poised for a star turn (Ben Tate, Toby Gerhart)"

Toby Gearhead? really?

Would you take Gerhart over Starks as your backup RB? He's got better hands than Starks, but Starks is faster. Both run pretty hard. Not sure how Gerhart's pass pro is.
Big year for J.Franklin. Pushes Dujuan for the #2 spot or gets stuck on ST/inactive game day.

Have they said what the comp picks will be yet? I read someone GB would get a 3 and a 6 but that seems high. Not sure Jennings nets them a 3, but that would be nice.
Based on the sheer number of FAs and the assumption they'll let Raji walk I'd think they'll get a couple of picks next year.

pbmax
02-13-2014, 03:33 PM
And the FA signing binge is well underway with FA #2!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m
Packers add tight end Raymond Webber http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pB5

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Would you take Gerhart over Starks as your backup RB? He's got better hands than Starks, but Starks is faster. Both run pretty hard. Not sure how Gerhart's pass pro is.

Maybe stick with the guy you know. I don't think they aren't a whole lot apart, but Starks has produced when it really mattered. Still, maybe I overestimated what they meant by "Star Turn"...

Zool
02-13-2014, 04:52 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/2/11/5399810/packers-free-agency-2014-safety-jim-leonhard

Carolina_Packer
02-13-2014, 05:22 PM
And the FA signing binge is well underway with FA #2!

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m
Packers add tight end Raymond Webber http://wp.me/p14QSB-9pB5

Similar kind of signing as Loyce Means last year. Throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks (or stinks). Probably nothing to get excited about.

As for the twitter feeds that say TT is poised to sign free agents (other than the Raymond Webber's and Loyce Means's of the world), I wonder how they come by this knowledge, or is it just speculation? I'm kind of with Wist on this one. His track record, even with cap space is to not go after veteran free agents, with few exceptions. Pickett and Woodson are the best examples. There have been some others, like Anthony Hargrove and Brandon Chillar, but nothing more than second-tier guys, or street free agents for the most part. With only two notable free agent signings in 9 years, it's easy to be skeptical that he is going to change his ways.

The only thing I wonder is if TT realizes his retooling plan for Capers defense is not going the way anyone planned. Either his picks are getting hurt, are not the right fit for the defense (or both), and he needs to accelerate the rebuilding and help the offense more, since we have a franchise QB in the middle of his career. If the price is right and the talent can help the defense, sign them!

Zool
02-14-2014, 08:37 AM
Similar kind of signing as Loyce Means last year. Throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks (or stinks). Probably nothing to get excited about.

As for the twitter feeds that say TT is poised to sign free agents (other than the Raymond Webber's and Loyce Means's of the world), I wonder how they come by this knowledge, or is it just speculation? I'm kind of with Wist on this one. His track record, even with cap space is to not go after veteran free agents, with few exceptions. Pickett and Woodson are the best examples. There have been some others, like Anthony Hargrove and Brandon Chillar, but nothing more than second-tier guys, or street free agents for the most part. With only two notable free agent signings in 9 years, it's easy to be skeptical that he is going to change his ways.

The only thing I wonder is if TT realizes his retooling plan for Capers defense is not going the way anyone planned. Either his picks are getting hurt, are not the right fit for the defense (or both), and he needs to accelerate the rebuilding and help the offense more, since we have a franchise QB in the middle of his career. If the price is right and the talent can help the defense, sign them!

When 50% of your team are FAs, you'll eventually sign some of them. That could be what they mean.

Carolina_Packer
02-14-2014, 09:21 AM
When 50% of your team are FAs, you'll eventually sign some of them. That could be what they mean.

Z, I was reacting to the NFL analysts who were quoted in earlier threads speculating that TT was going to open up the check book for veteran free agent signings. How do they come by this knowledge?

We know he's going to sign street/college free agent guys who haven't made it on a roster yet. Low risk, possible reward. Given his track record of signing vets, how can anyone speculate what he's going to do?

That said, if they signed T.J. Ward (guessing Cleveland will resign him) or Jairus Byrd (plug in free safety that we need, but expensive), I'd be OK with that. Chris Clemons from Miami has been mentioned, but he's kind of the same size/build as Burnett, so is one of them capable of playing free safety well enough, or would you sign the pure FS free agent (assuming you're going after one)?

Zool
02-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I was mocking the writers.

mraynrand
02-14-2014, 11:16 AM
T.J. Ward would cost you a lot for a guy who can't locate the ball and get picks. So he's a SS you say, and you don't need him to get a lot of INTs, but he also isn't really all that disruptive as a SS. Not even anywhere near as close to Butler as a pass rusher, no FFs. I guess he tackles OK, but not for loss.

Carolina_Packer
02-14-2014, 06:50 PM
T.J. Ward would cost you a lot for a guy who can't locate the ball and get picks. So he's a SS you say, and you don't need him to get a lot of INTs, but he also isn't really all that disruptive as a SS. Not even anywhere near as close to Butler as a pass rusher, no FFs. I guess he tackles OK, but not for loss.

Yeah, what I read is that he's good at the LOS, but not as much in coverage. Not what the Packers need.

Looks like they will have to draft for need at FS. I would like Ha Ha (no joke). Please do not sign a Loyce Means type with any expectations of impact. There are no Roy Hobbs stories in football.

Brandon494
02-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Yeah, what I read is that he's good at the LOS, but not as much in coverage. Not what the Packers need.

Looks like they will have to draft for need at FS. I would like Ha Ha (no joke). Please do not sign a Loyce Means type with any expectations of impact. There are no Roy Hobbs stories in football.

Check out Ed Reynolds from Stanford, hes a guy I think we could pick in the 2nd round.

Carolina_Packer
02-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Check out Ed Reynolds from Stanford, hes a guy I think we could pick in the 2nd round.

Get him before Seattle does! Good size, seems to have some ball skills. Would you have him playing free safety?

Brandon494
02-16-2014, 12:02 AM
Get him before Seattle does! Good size, seems to have some ball skills. Would you have him playing free safety?

I would prefer him play FS over Burnett but he could play either safety position.

Fritz
02-16-2014, 10:35 AM
The Packers usually get shitty comp picks. I'm guessing a 4th rounder for Jennings, and would be pissed but not shocked if it was a fifth.

Carolina_Packer
02-16-2014, 12:57 PM
The Packers usually get shitty comp picks. I'm guessing a 4th rounder for Jennings, and would be pissed but not shocked if it was a fifth.

This is an article from last year's process, but helped me understand how it's determined. Out of the link below, I found the paragraph listed below, explaining (basically) how it works. Given what it says, I would think we might get a 4th, but I don't know what the exact formula is.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000151670/article/nfl-awards-32-compensatory-draft-picks-to-16-teams

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a team is covered by this formula.

3irty1
02-16-2014, 01:07 PM
Reynolds has a lot to gain or lose at the combine compared to the other top free safeties.

smuggler
02-16-2014, 04:23 PM
If Jennings had gotten the $10mil/yr average, or if he'd played in all 16 games for us in 2012, I could see us getting a 3rd rounder. It's going to be a 4th rounder. Just be happy we're getting anything for Walden. It more than makes up for it.

Smeefers
02-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Totally with Wist here. I don't even get joy from pretending to think we're going to pick up a significant free agent.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Totally with Wist here. I don't even get joy from pretending to think we're going to pick up a significant free agent.

Wist is probably right and after thinking about how many players we are about to lose maybe we should stock pile picks.