PDA

View Full Version : Radio Guys Refuse To Learn

pbmax
02-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Today while traversing the state, I picked up a Bill Scott sports show. He had Dennis Krause on, and, paraphrasing here, Krause launched this beautifully misguided hope rant:

You have to hope Thompson is smart enough, and I think he is, to realize that Aaron Rodgers, after the injury, is not going to be around forever. And the window will have to close at some point. So you hope that he will be more active in Free Agency and trades to get the pieces necessary, to surround your All-Pro QB with talent enough to make another run at the Super Bowl.

Scott agreed. At no time did it occur to either talking microphone, that if Thompson actually operated like that, Aaron Rodgers would not be a member of the Green Bay Packers at all.

This means the Packers take Manziel in the 20s in Round 1.

mraynrand
02-11-2014, 08:59 PM
GET RANDY MOSS NOW!

COULD HAVE DRAFTED MILLER TO REPLACE BUBBA! COULD HAVE DRAFTED RODDY WHITE TO CATCH PASSES! COULD HAVE DRAFTED MANKINS TO PROTECT LORD FAVRE! WIN NOW!

run pMc
02-12-2014, 08:17 AM
Wait -- Rodgers won't be around forever? Stop the presses!
Rodgers likely has several (good) years left. QBs can play into their mid-to-late 30's. Thompson (or his successor) knows he'll have to find another starting QB. Why does Krause think the FA and trades are the only way to surround him with talent? If TT's going to do any trades, it will likely be trading down in the draft for extra picks. He believes he's more likely to find 4-5 good players with 11 picks than with 8.

Maybe Krause should cover the Redskins or Cowboys.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 08:34 AM
Let me state for the record that the italicized, bolded section of Krause speaking is entirely a paraphrase, which I believe get's the gist of the point correct.

You can unpack that and make some sense of it, but the sheer obliviousness to Ted's own history on the subject at hand was breathtaking.

Zool
02-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Let me state for the record that the italicized, bolded section of Krause speaking is entirely a paraphrase, which I believe get's the gist of the point correct.

You can unpack that and make some sense of it, but the sheer obliviousness to Ted's own history on the subject at hand was breathtaking.

You need only look around this forum to see to whom that show is pandering. Then you can go to most news sites and read the comments below the articles to find them in masses waiting with pitchforks.

digitaldean
02-12-2014, 07:55 PM
I heard that same interview, PBMAX. I like Dennis Krause, but can't stand Bill Scott. He was on WDUZ the Fan in Green Bay before he ended up at WHBY (in Appleton).

He comes across pretty abrasive, IMO. The only thing I like is that he does a very good job on covering a ton of high school sports (including HS hockey). But I digress...

It did seem puzzling that they were playing the wishful thinking game with TT and free agency. If I hear one more time from TT about the "dangerous waters" of free agency I'm going to pull whal little hair I have out.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I think Krause is great on the Packer pre game. But he is currently saddled with Vic Ketchum, who brings the entire show to a halt whenever it is his turn.

Krause does a lot of TV in Milwaukee and the Bucks home games. So I don't see a lot of his work. His Twitter account was next to useless.

Overall I agree on Krause over Scott (who gets ridiculed regularly by Packer beat guys for never being at camp or practice) but on this day it was Krause trying to turn back the clock to an era where Rodgers isn't selected but a WR or O lineman is at the top of the 2005 draft.

Maybe he is Clarence from Its a Wonderful Life.

Bretsky
02-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Seems pretty dam nitpicky here

I don't see anything wrong with their comments

pbmax
02-12-2014, 11:26 PM

Its the lack of imagination. Realizing the cost of the plan of action you are suggesting. If they did acknowledge it, they could still choose the same course.

But the luxury of having Rodgers presents them the opportunity to go all in. Yet they have no idea how the team can acquire the "next" Aaron Rodgers. If this is your guiding philosophy, your team will hemorrhage talent.

bobblehead
02-13-2014, 07:22 AM
Its the lack of imagination. Realizing the cost of the plan of action you are suggesting. If they did acknowledge it, they could still choose the same course.

But the luxury of having Rodgers presents them the opportunity to go all in. Yet they have no idea how the team can acquire the "next" Aaron Rodgers. If this is your guiding philosophy, your team will hemorrhage talent.

Channeling Mike Sherman, the GM, are ya?

pbmax
02-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Channeling Mike Sherman, the GM, are ya?

Actually, I give Sherman a bit more of a pass than Krause here. Sherman landed in Green Bay and had to take an immediate lay of the land read with a QB headed into his 10th year, who had taken a good deal of punishment while starting virtually every game since his second year. After a year he was GM and his QB was telling Peter King his plans for retirement. The contract Sherman got him signed to in 2002 looked like it was done in 2006 or seven. It never materialized after the 2006 CBA, but the 10 year deal looked like it had funny money at the back end.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99808

Rodgers is also a 9 year vet but did not play for his first 3 seasons. He is signed through the end of the decade. And there really is no funny money in there.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 08:47 AM
Sherman... After a year he was GM and his QB was telling Peter King his plans for retirement. The contract Sherman got him signed to in 2002 looked like it was done in 2006 or seven:

Brett Favre, the only NFL player to win the MVP award three times, will finish his career with the Green Bay Packers.

keep it in the Favre thread!

Guiness
02-13-2014, 10:57 AM
keep it in the Favre thread!

Oh shut up. You drove Woody around the bend, aren't you happy now?

Zool
02-13-2014, 11:55 AM

I want to specifically pile on here. They basically said nothing. They are inferring that Thompson possibly thought that AR would be around forever until he got hurt. Now a light went on with Thompson and he's going to now try and win football games. Previously Thompson had no intention on winning and is simply keeping his job to irritate Packer fans.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh shut up. You drove Woody around the bend, aren't you happy now?

I hope you're joking, because I certainly was. It took me a long time to realize that people really get all bent out of shape over the Favre thing, but I still don't really understand it. (and I can't help myself but joke about it)

Woody: I drove him around the bend? I assure you, I wasn't behind the wheel, only nagging from the passenger seat.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 01:02 PM
Previously Thompson had no intention on winning and is simply keeping his job to irritate Packer fans.

Friend, you are of the body! Peace, and tranquility!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z-j14pGv7ek/UZFZH1d-3SI/AAAAAAAAeAc/nAe7rZkbJGU/s1600/archons1.png

Guiness
02-13-2014, 01:08 PM
I hope you're joking, because I certainly was. It took me a long time to realize that people really get all bent out of shape over the Favre thing, but I still don't really understand it. (and I can't help myself but joke about it)

Woody: I drove him around the bend? I assure you, I wasn't behind the wheel, only nagging from the passenger seat.

Just asking to lay off the Favre comment you've been trotting out every time his name comes up. It's incendiary, not to mention tiresome.

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2014, 01:09 PM

I think Toonces the Driving Cat was behind the wheel of that car.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 01:12 PM
Just asking to lay off the Favre comment you've been trotting out every time his name comes up. It's incendiary, not to mention tiresome.

Tiresome? I agree. Incendiary? That one I re-direct to the people who get all bent out of shape. Favre is a part of Packer history and I would hope that we can bring him up without a flame war. I guess I'm just wrong about that. But I should stop mocking people about it I suppose. UNSOUND!

Guiness
02-13-2014, 01:16 PM

From the article

$90 million contract the Washington Redskins gave halfback Stephen Davis

What??? lol

So Davis signed that contract in 2001, but was playing with the Panthers by 2003 when they went to the SB?

Zool
02-13-2014, 02:21 PM
"I couldn't envision myself playing with another team," Favre said. "Don't want to. If that was to ever come up, I probably would just retire. I've made enough money to where I don't need to jump ship and go somewhere else. It was just important to me to stay here."

That's now comedy gold.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 03:06 PM
That's now comedy gold.

must....resist.....commenting.....

**** ** ** *** ***** ******!

*redacted

Freak Out
02-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Friend, you are of the body! Peace, and tranquility!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Z-j14pGv7ek/UZFZH1d-3SI/AAAAAAAAeAc/nAe7rZkbJGU/s1600/archons1.png

Some call me Landru....others call me LORD FAVRE!

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20041212232621/memoryalpha/en/images/4/40/LandruProjection.jpg

Rutnstrut
02-18-2014, 02:53 PM
So pb, are you suggesting they stay the course? Because that doesn't seem to be working either. I don't think an all out assault on free agency is the answer. But TT has been trying to do it ONLY his way of draft and develop. Imo he should be using ALL tools available, which he has refused to do. You also can't argue that the window is closing, if TT stays stubborn. There are vital players this team needs that will never be drafted and developed in his prime.

Carolina_Packer
02-18-2014, 04:20 PM
So pb, are you suggesting they stay the course? Because that doesn't seem to be working either. I don't think an all out assault on free agency is the answer. But TT has been trying to do it ONLY his way of draft and develop. Imo he should be using ALL tools available, which he has refused to do. You also can't argue that the window is closing, if TT stays stubborn. There are vital players this team needs that will never be drafted and developed in his prime.

I don't think anyone is doubting that TT is trying to build a championship team (again). I think some just see his ways as slower and more calculated. He's always going to do right by the cap, and every fan should appreciate that. We will never be in a situation like Detroit is now. Nobody is suggesting that he give away the farm in free agency; just that he take a serious look at it whether there is a cap friendly, plug and play kind of a free agent out there that can help the team accelerate to success more quickly than the draft and develop player, especially on defense. Whether he does it to take advantage of the fact that we currently have a special QB or not, doesn't matter. Obviously a GM should be trying to build the team as best as they can no matter what. I would think that having that special QB would make you possibly take on a bit more risk in free agency to get to your goals faster, and to take advantage of the window of opportunity presented, but without putting yourself in cap hell to do it.

Zool
02-18-2014, 04:41 PM
It's tough to get the FAs who don't cost a lot and who are very productive. Not many teams in the salary cap era spend big amounts in FA and make the playoffs consistently.

Packers have been in the post season 16 of the last 21 seasons. Before that it was twice in 25 years. I'm glad that during my time of watching, the one time they have had to purge salary from the roster, it was a quick turn around.

pbmax
02-18-2014, 06:30 PM

I am decidedly against drafting for need as was discussed on this show. I was not happy about the defense heavy drafts if they were the result of drafting for need (even though I can understand the logic of the picks)*. As a former fan of the Cleveland Browns and the Packers of the Sherman era, I can assure you you will improve the area of the team you are concentrating on, while at the same time decimating the rest of your roster.

If you have the money and can afford FAs to fill a gap, then that is fine by me. I am not against John Schneider's approach. I just don't assume its better than Thompson's because of one year and a probable franchise QB on the cheap.

* We do need to keep in mind that while all of us and every writer and talking head on the planet are convinced that Ted drafted Eddie Lacy to shore up the running game, we tend to discount how much McCarthy was ready to hand over the reins to DaJuan Harris in the offseason of 2013. Its possible what we see as Thompson drafting for need is Ted doing the same thing as he has always done. So some of the draft critique is mind-reading Ted's intentions.

smuggler
02-18-2014, 07:24 PM
What??? lol

So Davis signed that contract in 2001, but was playing with the Panthers by 2003 when they went to the SB?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/09/02/redskins_davis_ticker/?mobile=no

It was all funnymoney. Only 6mil guaranteed.