PDA

View Full Version : Smaller Faster Longer Leaner

mraynrand
02-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Posting from another thread. So is the idea to build a NYG(2007/2011)-like DL?

FWIW -

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m
From Total Access: I’m told #Packers plan to spend money on outside free agents this year with nearly $30M in cap space. Could most in years

What is #Packers plan? They want to re-make their D in Dom Capers’ image, going more athletic & versatile up front. May mean goodbye to Raji

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4m
Don’t be surprised if #Packers DLs now weigh closer to 290 than the 330 that Ryan Pickett & BJ Raji weigh. Will get much faster, too

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 3m
Yes. Packers DLs will likely more resemble Datone Jones RT @sorenson11: @RapSheet like Datone's weight?

bobblehead
02-12-2014, 10:15 PM
If we are ditching the fatties for leaner and faster then my thoughts on running a penetration defense might come true.

Striker
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
It'll be interesting to see if they'll actually go for a first day FA, or if they wait for the "second tier" of them.

MadScientist
02-12-2014, 11:32 PM
What is #Packers plan? They want to re-make their D in Dom Capers’ image, going more athletic & versatile up front. May mean goodbye to Raji

When they got Dom and went to the 3-4, one of the things they said was critical was a big NT. That's why they drafted Raji with #10, because big guys like that are hard to come by.

However they go, I still think getting a stud safety is more critical than any other position. Nick Collins made that whole defense better.

pbmax
02-12-2014, 11:33 PM
When they got Dom and went to the 3-4, one of the things they said was critical was a big NT. That's why they drafted Raji with #10, because big guys like that are hard to come by.

However they go, I still think getting a stud safety is more critical than any other position. Nick Collins made that whole defense better.

I think they will still have 2 bigger guys for NT. But you won't see them at DE or at DT in the nickel.

call_me_ishmael
02-13-2014, 01:22 AM
I would like to see a 6'5 or taller NT. I don't want a fat man, I want a ripped man. More Jay Ratliff than Ryan Pickett.

bobblehead
02-13-2014, 07:09 AM
It'll be interesting to see if they'll actually go for a first day FA, or if they wait for the "second tier" of them.

As teams are dealing with several years of a stagnant cap there are a LOT of good "second tier" football players available. Randy Starks comes to mind.

denverYooper
02-13-2014, 08:46 AM
As teams are dealing with several years of a stagnant cap there are a LOT of good "second tier" football players available. Randy Starks comes to mind.

This is a good point, about the stagnant cap. Teams with franchise QBs right now are getting punished for having to pay those QBs and having to let good players go to do so. The Packers seem to have managed their way into a situation where they should be able to afford to buy some extra talent in 2014. Add to that the fact that the cap will see a bump in 2015 when the new TV deals kick in and the Packers might be able to afford a nice run of 2-3 years.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 08:50 AM
If the cap increases for every team, how does that help the Packers?

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"

"These go to eleven"

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-13-2014, 09:09 AM

"Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?"

"These go to eleven"

I helps the packers for many reasons. One being that if in fact they do sign free agents this year they won't be in cap hell in a few years. Not a lot of teams have a lot of cap this year so only about 5-10 teams should be major players in free agency. If they are able to land a good free agent or two with large contracts then it will even itself out when the cap increases. So basically the cap going up next year and the year after would give teams with a lot of cap this year more incentive to spend. That and Cobb and Nelson need extensions next year.

I don't think we will though.....I would like to know how someone make a statement that this team is going to do this and that a month before free agency? Seems like bs to me.

denverYooper
02-13-2014, 09:14 AM

"These go to eleven"

They have a top 3 franchise QB under contract. His salary as a percentage of the cap will drop. In 2 years, when San Fran and Seattle are paying their lesser QBs more money, the shoe will be on the other foot.

pbmax
02-13-2014, 10:03 AM

"These go to eleven"

They have a top 3 franchise QB under contract. His salary as a percentage of the cap will drop. In 2 years, when San Fran and Seattle are paying their lesser QBs more money, the shoe will be on the other foot.

It also helps now. With a decent amount of room and lots of contracts up the Packers have significant space in the year while the cap is still flat. Its not expected to go up significantly until next year. It might give them an single year edge versus teams who have less space and less contract flexibility.

However, given Rodgers and Matthews presence, I am not sure we see a Woodson like signing. The highest paid players in 2007 were probably Favre and KGB.

Tony Oday
02-13-2014, 10:09 AM
We will sign a Saftey, OLB and a D Lineman!!! BIG FREE AGENT SPLASH!!!!

Guiness
02-13-2014, 11:02 AM
When I read the title of this thread of think of this guy...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3016190/lamar-javelin-o.gif

Tony Oday
02-13-2014, 12:00 PM
When I read the title of this thread of think of this guy...

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3016190/lamar-javelin-o.gif

He DID win though...

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-13-2014, 02:30 PM
It also helps now. With a decent amount of room and lots of contracts up the Packers have significant space in the year while the cap is still flat. Its not expected to go up significantly until next year. It might give them an single year edge versus teams who have less space and less contract flexibility.

However, given Rodgers and Matthews presence, I am not sure we see a Woodson like signing. The highest paid players in 2007 were probably Favre and KGB.

How much is significant though? If you are talking about a 10 mil+ jump, then signing players like Jones, Starks, Shields, Neal, and other key contributors should be a higher priority. For instance, why lose a talented WR like James Jones who has great character and chemistry with his teammates when it probably will only require a mid range contract to keep him? Not saying you don't want to sign James Jones, I'm just wondering if it makes sense to lose these type of players if the cap is supposed to increase significantly.

Teamcheez1
02-13-2014, 03:25 PM
With 53 WR's hitting free agency (according to PFT), there shouldn't be a lot of bidding for James Jones services.

pbmax
02-13-2014, 03:30 PM
How much is significant though? If you are talking about a 10 mil+ jump, then signing players like Jones, Starks, Shields, Neal, and other key contributors should be a higher priority. For instance, why lose a talented WR like James Jones who has great character and chemistry with his teammates when it probably will only require a mid range contract to keep him? Not saying you don't want to sign James Jones, I'm just wondering if it makes sense to lose these type of players if the cap is supposed to increase significantly.

I am thinking nothing above the transition tag value kinda deals (average of top 10 at position). So no Woodson (who got near, though not top, of the market from the Pack), but maybe a Pickett level guy or two.

And this is assuming Rapoport is not getting his info from a wishful agent. Still unsure if Ted believes this.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 03:56 PM
With 53 WR's hitting free agency (according to PFT), there shouldn't be a lot of bidding for James Jones services.

"I'll give you five bucks for that"

http://www.payscale.com/cms-images/default-source/screenshots/pawn-stars-cast.jpg%3Fsfvrsn%3D0

wist43
02-13-2014, 04:50 PM
We're not going to sign anyone... Raji and Wilson are gone for sure. Neal will probably be too... Jolly might be done; Pickett might be back.

The 2 guys I want to see us resign are Neal and Shields. Even if we keep Neal though, we're still a dysfunctional mess up front... TT won't fill any holes in FA, so that leaves the draft and undrafted FA's - as always.

Perry and Jones underperformed in spectacular fashion last year, and nobody else really fits a 3-4... it's just a demoralizing mess.

mraynrand
02-13-2014, 05:04 PM
We're not going to sign anyone... Raji and Wilson are gone for sure. Neal will probably be too... Jolly might be done; Pickett might be back.

The 2 guys I want to see us resign are Neal and Shields. Even if we keep Neal though, we're still a dysfunctional mess up front... TT won't fill any holes in FA, so that leaves the draft and undrafted FA's - as always.

Perry and Jones underperformed in spectacular fashion last year, and nobody else really fits a 3-4... it's just a demoralizing mess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWWqF20qWEE

bobblehead
02-13-2014, 09:03 PM
I don't think we will though.....I would like to know how someone make a statement that this team is going to do this and that a month before free agency? Seems like bs to me.

Because wild speculation is what we do at this point of the year.

MadScientist
02-21-2014, 01:15 PM
MM disputing the smaller notion:
http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140221/PKR0101/140221007/McCarthy-defensive-line-We-re-not-getting-smaller-

Joemailman
02-21-2014, 01:20 PM
MM did say they're always looking to get more athletic and longer. If you replace Raji with guys who are 6-5/6-6 and 315-320, you're not really going small, but you might be able to generate more pass rush. The days of lining up NT's at DE might be over.

mraynrand
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
MM did say they're always looking to get more athletic and longer. If you replace Raji with guys who are 6-5/6-6 and 315-320, you're not really going small, but you might be able to generate more pass rush. The days of lining up NT's at DE might be over.

Ra' Ra' !! Go Team!

run pMc
02-21-2014, 04:56 PM

This.

I think this is the direction they are headed, and I think they'll be better for it. I'm also hoping Datone Jones and Josh Boyd make the proverbial leap in Year 2.

Carolina_Packer
02-22-2014, 07:36 AM
Marcell Dareus anyone? With Schwartz moving to Buffalo to become DC, he will run a 4 man front. That does not mean they are looking to shed their NT Darreus, because he could obviously play one of the two inside tackle spots...if Schwartz sees him as a fit there. What if they strictly see him as a NT? What if they are looking for a way to get rid of Darreus for that reason? His contract is up after 2014, and he's just shy of turning 24. Raji is going to be 28 in July. If you could get him from Buffalo at a reasonable price and then pay him less than you would B.J. Raji and get a guy who is 4 years younger, would you be interested?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus/

smuggler
02-22-2014, 07:48 AM
Dareus is my NT on my madden team. Traded Raji for him.:)

wist43
02-22-2014, 07:55 AM

But Raji's strength was his burst into gaps, i.e. he was not a NT - yet, Spraypaintedhair used him as a NT and burned him out.

Spraypaintedhair had Jones, Perry, Daniels, and Worthy available to run in waves but they sat their asses on the sideline and watched while 1 of them was on the field with Raji in that idiotic 2-4.

TT has invested 1st round picks in Raji, Perry, Jones, Matthews, and Hawk; and 2nd round picks in Worthy and Neal. What has Capers done with that talent?? Sans Matthews, he's misused every one of them - the other exception being Hawk, who is the poster child for pedestrian.

A good DC would find better ways to take advantage of those players - it is why Capers needs to be fired.

Carolina_Packer
02-22-2014, 08:02 AM
Marcell Dareus anyone? With Schwartz moving to Buffalo to become DC, he will run a 4 man front. That does not mean they are looking to shed their NT Darreus, because he could obviously play one of the two inside tackle spots...if Schwartz sees him as a fit there. What if they strictly see him as a NT? What if they are looking for a way to get rid of Dareus for that reason? His contract is up after 2014, and he's just shy of turning 24. Raji is going to be 28 in July. If you could get him from Buffalo at a reasonable price and then pay him less than you would B.J. Raji and get a guy who is 4 years younger, would you be interested?

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus/

After further review, I guess Pettine ran a hybrid defense last year, and Buffalo was listed as having run a 4 man front on ESPN. It's intriguing that he's just shy of 24, he's in his last year under his rookie deal and that Buffalo is changing DC's. It depends on whether Schwartz sees Dareus as a fit, which might be a given since he's the third overall pick from 2011, but what if he was no longer in their long term plans?

mraynrand
02-22-2014, 10:24 AM
But Raji's strength was his burst into gaps, i.e. he was not a NT - yet, Spraypaintedhair used him as a NT and burned him out.

Spraypaintedhair had Jones, Perry, Daniels, and Worthy available to run in waves but they sat their asses on the sideline and watched while 1 of them was on the field with Raji in that idiotic 2-4.

Jones - rookie; Perry suffered two different injuries in 2013; Worthy was missing almost the entire season. So, no Spraypainthair really did not have the platooning available that you wanted to allow Raji to burst upfield. If will be interesting to see if there are other teams that will pay his king's ransom and say "show us whatcha got, whatcha got, Raji" or if they will balk and APRH, Raji remains with the Pack and wreaks havoc when Capers lets slip the dogs of war.

pbmax
02-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Jones - rookie; Perry suffered two different injuries in 2013; Worthy was missing almost the entire season. So, no Spraypainthair really did not have the platooning available that you wanted to allow Raji to burst upfield. If will be interesting to see if there are other teams that will pay his king's ransom and say "show us whatcha got, whatcha got, Raji" or if they will balk and APRH, Raji remains with the Pack and wreaks havoc when Capers lets slip the dogs of war.

They also took Raji out of the ridiculous 2-4 to cut down on his snaps, which have been in decline since his insane years of 2010 and 11.