PDA

View Full Version : FA WRs - 2014

packer4life
02-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/its-a-buyers-market-for-free-agent-receivers/

It's quite a deep field of FA WRs this year. James Jones is just another name on this list. Only 10-20% of these guys will get first-week, high-value contracts. The rest can be signed to shorter, cheaper contracts. Add in the ascension of Boykin in 2013, and I think WR is the least of our upcoming worries.

packer4life
02-13-2014, 11:06 PM
That being said, expect Cobb/Nelson extensions to significantly tap into our ~$30 million this offseason.

BZnDallas
02-13-2014, 11:47 PM
That being said, expect Cobb/Nelson extensions to significantly tap into our ~$30 million this offseason.

How do we go about this situation? Do we offer them the same contract? Or do we offer one 4 years and the other 3 or 5 years, just to offset? Same amount of money? Is Cobb worth more? Is Cobb worth Harvin $?

HarveyWallbangers
02-13-2014, 11:50 PM
Considering who they list as the top 10, it doesn't look like much of a list to me. Boldin is old. Decker is solid but will get paid more than he should. The rest are pretty ordinary.

The most intriguing 10 names to watch are Anquan Boldin, Riley Cooper, Eric Decker, Julian Edelman, Jacoby Jones, Jeremy Maclin, Dexter McCluster, Hakeem Nicks, Emmanuel Sanders, and Golden Tate.

HarveyWallbangers
02-13-2014, 11:51 PM
How do we go about this situation? Do we offer them the same contract? Or do we offer one 4 years and the other 3 or 5 years, just to offset? Same amount of money? Is Cobb worth more? Is Cobb worth Harvin $?

Personally, I think they are worth about the same. Cobb is younger, but Jordy seems like he hold up physically better. I'm not too worried about Jordy's age. I think he has another good four years in him.

Zool
02-14-2014, 08:40 AM
I hope Golden Tate signs with the Browns.

pbmax
02-14-2014, 08:42 AM
I dunno, P4L. It is a deep list but its not exactly exciting. Boldin is the only guy who has performed bigger than Jones. Maybe Nicks.

I suspect the Packers will need a bit of luck. If the big money chases others for fit first, his market might settle down. Or if the draft is judged to be likely to provide help quickly.

bobblehead
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM

So you sign JJ to a value contract to protect against losing Cobb or Nelson. You sign the guys you can for good value when you can, you don't speculate on next year. Suppose you could get JJ for good value, but next year very few WR's enter FA and 2 different teams offer large deals to cobb and nelson...are you glad you saved cap room by not signing JJ?

packer4life
02-14-2014, 05:17 PM
I think Nelson holds more value over Cobb and will be paid higher, but not my much. Nelson is a tall strong threat with sure hands that can work the sideline and make the deep grab. He is a #1 WR prototype.

Cobb, although quite dynamic/explosive, is still more a slot player at this time and has not mastered all positions like Nelson. If Cobb averages something like $8 million, I would expect Nelson in the 10-12 mil range.

smuggler
02-14-2014, 05:26 PM
Im pretty sure Nelson can be secured for about 8mil/yr

packer4life
02-14-2014, 11:55 PM

He is a top 10 WR. If Rodgers was in the whole season, this guy easily puts up 100+ catches 1600+ yds and 12+ TDs. Getting him at 8 million a year would be a steal!

smuggler
02-15-2014, 07:56 AM
8mil a year is a nice haul. He just doesn't seem like he cares about the money as much as some others would... I also think he realizes that staying with Rodgers is pretty important for his career.

I could definitely be wrong. Hope I'm not!

KYPack
02-15-2014, 07:58 AM
I hope Golden Tate signs with the Browns.

I'd imagine the Browns would sign him, then immediately make him a member of the front office.

pbmax
02-15-2014, 08:22 AM
If ever a person was destined to become a member of either the 49ers or the Vikings, its Golden Tate.

If he is trying to personally haunt me, then it'll be the Steelers.

ThunderDan
02-15-2014, 08:55 AM
I wonder if the Gregg Jennings 2013 production will drive JJ's price down again.

GJ played lights out when healthy in GB with ARod. You put him in MINN and he stagnates and becomes a malcontent.

Are other NFL teams going to pony up big money for a Packer WR if they don't have a top tier QB?

mraynrand
02-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I wonder if the Gregg Jennings 2013 production will drive JJ's price down again.

GJ played lights out when healthy in GB with ARod. You put him in MINN and he stagnates and becomes a malcontent.

Are other NFL teams going to pony up big money for a Packer WR if they don't have a top tier QB?

GJ may not be done yet. Get a different offensive mindset in there and he could do well. He had a couple of decent games after they unleashed Cassel late in the season.

smuggler
02-15-2014, 10:39 AM
Why are you worried about Golden Tate? He's a baddie.

Striker
02-15-2014, 12:57 PM
I'd think Nelson has a bit more value than Cobb. Cobb is more of a multi-purpose weapon, but Nelson is more of that traditional #1 WR. Plus, Cobb's undersized compared to Jordy so teams may think that Nelson is more likely to hold up in the long run.

call_me_ishmael
02-15-2014, 08:49 PM
I would not resign JJ. Money is going to get tight in the future. He was a nice Packer and I wish him well. He is still solid but he is also replaceable. Cobb and Nelson are more dynamic and less easily replaced - even when they cost more money.

Brandon494
02-15-2014, 09:33 PM
I'd think Nelson has a bit more value than Cobb. Cobb is more of a multi-purpose weapon, but Nelson is more of that traditional #1 WR. Plus, Cobb's undersized compared to Jordy so teams may think that Nelson is more likely to hold up in the long run.

Cobb is also 5 years younger. Nelson may be the better receiver right now but they are both equally important IMO.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Nelson is a great Wr and needs to be locked up. He is just as important, if not more important, than Cobb regardless of age. Nelson still has a good 4-5 years in his prime. Are people forgetting WRs can still play at a high level once they turn 30?

Brandon494
02-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Nelson is a great Wr and needs to be locked up. He is just as important, if not more important, than Cobb regardless of age. Nelson still has a good 4-5 years in his prime. Are people forgetting WRs can still play at a high level once they turn 30?

I don't think anyone here wants to get rid of Nelson but Cobb's age is important because at only 23 he can still get better where as Nelson has most likely hit his peak. Both are must keeps most importantly because of the connection they have with Rodgers over any of the other receivers.

Fritz
02-16-2014, 10:32 AM

Why? Do you know him?

run pMc
02-16-2014, 01:00 PM
Draft is loaded with WR talent. TT will look there, preferably earlier than R7.
I like all 3 of them and would be great if they all stayed in GB, but history has shown that WR turnover is not unusual.
Lord Voldemort played with Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Rison, Driver, Javon, and a few years of Jennings and one year of James Jones. (I'm forgetting others and ignoring the lesser lights.) Rodgers will play with a pretty long list as well. They key is to keep finding and developing talent...Boykin was a real find for them.

smuggler
02-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Fritz... The reason I feel that way is because of what happened to Jennings when he left the Packers. Jordy is a smart guy, and (unlike Cobb) is already a very wealthy man. As I said, I could be completely wrong. Just a hunch.

run pMc
02-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Nelson outperformed his contract. I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him to something between 8-10M/yr. He compares pretty well to the WRs that are paid that IMO.
Cobb is a little trickier. Was hurt last year and over his career Jordy has averaged more targets, but he's definitely a dynamic player with the ball. No idea what his camp will want or what his worth is...but of the two I could see TT letting him play out the season to determine that worth. Trouble is it might be too high for TT's tastes, which is why I think they need to draft & develop another WR this year.

run pMc
02-17-2014, 11:14 AM
http://overthecap.com/breaking-2014-wr-free-agent-market/

With Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Jarrett Boykin and plenty of holes to fill on defense, it’d surprise me if Green Bay made much of an attempt to resign the soon-to-be 30-year-old.
Jones signed a 3-year deal worth almost $10 million after the Packers 2010 Super Bowl run, as the market for Jones’ services was dry. Now 3 years older, Jone’ will have even less suitors, and he’ll surely get less than that this time around.
Contact Prediction: As I just mentioned, the Jets have next to nothing at the WR position, so they could conceivably bring in more than one wideout. Jets for 2 years/$6 million

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 12:36 PM
http://overthecap.com/breaking-2014-wr-free-agent-market/

If Jones is only getting 3 million on the open market we should bring him back. 3 million/year playing for the Jets or 3 million/year playing with the pack? Not much of a choice. Going to the Jets is career suicide. His numbers would suck and after those two years he'd be lucky to get a vet min deal.

3irty1
02-17-2014, 12:41 PM
I don't think Jones is going to have a ton of value on the open market because of the type of player he is. He's not much of a big play threat and only gets enough separation to be a weapon with a super accurate QB. His ability to beat press coverage, his hands, and his physical play don't matter if you can't get him the ball in a tight window.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't think Jones is going to have a ton of value on the open market because of the type of player he is. He's not much of a big play threat and only gets enough separation to be a weapon with a super accurate QB. His ability to beat press coverage, his hands, and his physical play don't matter if you can't get him the ball in a tight window.

Selling him a little short are we? Actually Jones has made many plays downfield throughout his career. Earlier in the career his problem was drops and the last two years he seems to have corrected that. We start losing weapons and start counting on a still weak defense and even making the playoffs will be a major achievement in the NFC. I'm not in favor of making our only consistent strength year in year out potentially weaker. If you lose Jones (and what looks like Finely as well) drafting a WR early becomes more important. If he comes back for 3 mil/year that's a steal. I would be concerned about him feeling slighted when Cobb and Nelson get much bigger big pay days though.

Zool
02-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Jones feels like another case of overvaluing your own players. While he was a TD machine last year, he was nothing outstanding for the rest of his career. He's been a good player for the Packers and a good locker room guy but doesn't seem like his on-field is that hard to duplicate in the NFL.

3irty1
02-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Selling him a little short are we? Actually Jones has made many plays downfield throughout his career. Earlier in the career his problem was drops and the last two years he seems to have corrected that. We start losing weapons and start counting on a still weak defense and even making the playoffs will be a major achievement in the NFC. I'm not in favor of making our only consistent strength year in year out potentially weaker. If you lose Jones (and what looks like Finely as well) drafting a WR early becomes more important. If he comes back for 3 mil/year that's a steal. I would be concerned about him feeling slighted when Cobb and Nelson get much bigger big pay days though.

Reread what I said. I'm not downplaying his value to the Packers, just the rest of the league.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I understood your post just fine. I still think you're selling him short. I personally think he does get separation and is a very effective WR. You saying he's more valuable to the packers because Rodgers can fit balls into tight windows is the same as saying Rodgers can make any WR look good in that case. Thus why is Jones even valuable to the packers? If that's the case then Jones has no value on any team because a 7th round draft pick who doesn't get separation would work just a well and be a lot cheaper.

mraynrand
02-17-2014, 05:19 PM
a 7th round draft pick who doesn't get separation would work just a well and be a lot cheaper.

More Boykins! More Drivers!

Bretsky
02-17-2014, 06:49 PM
I understood your post just fine. I still think you're selling him short. I personally think he does get separation and is a very effective WR. You saying he's more valuable to the packers because Rodgers can fit balls into tight windows is the same as saying Rodgers can make any WR look good in that case. Thus why is Jones even valuable to the packers? If that's the case then Jones has no value on any team because a 7th round draft pick who doesn't get separation would work just a well and be a lot cheaper.

I don't think he gets a lot of separatoin and I think the Packers offense would excel with a new TE, Jordy, Cobb, Boykins, and Lacy. . I think the same of him as I did last round. It's fine to keep him as a value signing but if anybody wants to pay him well you pass. I'd keep the money for Nelson and Cobb.

Patler
02-17-2014, 06:51 PM
TT has spoiled us, because he has had a knack for finding WRs who can contribute. But, without Jones and Finley, the cupboard is getting a bit bare. Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and..........???? It seems rather routine in recent years that most weeks at least one WR is hurting and/or not playing. I have a fear that if it happens in 2014 they will be playing with the current versions of Taco Wallace, Ruvell Martin, Rod Gardner and Antonio Chatman. I don't want to relive the years when they had a difficult time putting three decent receivers on the field.

I was really hoping one of the draft picks/FAs last year would show promise. Myles White caught a few balls, but I can't say he has me anxiously waiting to see more from him. The others, who knows?

smuggler
02-17-2014, 06:54 PM
Jones on the cheap, sure. Why not? We can make the difference back easily by cutting a less valuable player like Brad Jones. Or hell, any number of other players that are less effective than James. I see no reason to cast him off. He's the kind of receiver who could be effective until he's 33 or so.

3irty1
02-17-2014, 06:58 PM

Getting separation is just one aspect of being a WR in the NFL. I listed JJ's strengths and they're not things you can easily replace so no, its not the same as saying Rodgers can make any WR look good. Maybe you need to read my post a third time.

mraynrand
02-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Myles White caught a few balls, but I can't say he has me anxiously waiting to see more from him.

Myles White is a poor man's Chris Collinsworth. A very, very poor man.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Getting separation is just one aspect of being a WR in the NFL. I listed JJ's strengths and they're not things you can easily replace so no, its not the same as saying Rodgers can make any WR look good. Maybe you need to read my post a third time.

Well maybe you just found the reason why I usually skip over your posts. Either I don't understand what you're saying or I think you're an idiot? The more posts I read I'm convinced the latter is true.

I'm pretty sure at the end of our post you said and I quote "His ability to beat press coverage, his hands, and his physical play don't matter if you can't get him the ball in a tight window." Hmm is it just me or did I not just say I disagree with that assessment. So b/c I disagree that means I didn't understand? Maybe you didn't understand what you wrote.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2014, 09:28 PM
TT has spoiled us, because he has had a knack for finding WRs who can contribute. But, without Jones and Finley, the cupboard is getting a bit bare. Nelson, Cobb, Boykin and..........???? It seems rather routine in recent years that most weeks at least one WR is hurting and/or not playing. I have a fear that if it happens in 2014 they will be playing with the current versions of Taco Wallace, Ruvell Martin, Rod Gardner and Antonio Chatman. I don't want to relive the years when they had a difficult time putting three decent receivers on the field.

I was really hoping one of the draft picks/FAs last year would show promise. Myles White caught a few balls, but I can't say he has me anxiously waiting to see more from him. The others, who knows?

Couldn't have said it better. Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Jennings, Driver, Finley, etc all have/had amazing talent and if people think the offense is just going to keep putting up solid numbers losing Wrs every year then guess again. If we lose Jones and Finley I seriously hope we select a Wr high.

Brandon494
02-17-2014, 11:39 PM
Finley yes, but I don't see any reason to get rid of James Jones when I know the asking price won't be high. Save the high draft picks for defensive players.

Patler
02-18-2014, 06:24 AM
Finley yes, but I don't see any reason to get rid of James Jones when I know the asking price won't be high. Save the high draft picks for defensive players.

That is how I would like to see it work out, but I can also envision a situation in which a team with a lack of decent receivers makes an offer to Jones that might not be extreme, but still more then the Packers are willing to pay.

People are making too much of the lack of interest shown in Jones when he was a FA the last time. He was a FA the year of the lockout. There was very little FA activity that year. I think in a normal year, he would have received more interest.

mraynrand
02-18-2014, 07:54 AM

TT just had two defensive drafts. He will pick a WR/TE in the first two rounds, because that guy has to be ready to be a top weapon in 2015 at the latest.

SkinBasket
02-18-2014, 08:20 AM
When did James Jone's hands become a strength? Or is the argument that his hands are fine but his brain is damaged? But by golly that fella has a nice smile.

I know he's not as bad as he used to be, but every time he drops a ball, usually an easy one, it all comes flooding back.

3irty1
02-18-2014, 08:24 AM
Well maybe you just found the reason why I usually skip over your posts. Either I don't understand what you're saying or I think you're an idiot? The more posts I read I'm convinced the latter is true.

I'm pretty sure at the end of our post you said and I quote "His ability to beat press coverage, his hands, and his physical play don't matter if you can't get him the ball in a tight window." Hmm is it just me or did I not just say I disagree with that assessment. So b/c I disagree that means I didn't understand? Maybe you didn't understand what you wrote.

And if you CAN get him the ball in a tight window, because you have a super-accurate quarterback, you can take advantage of his ability to beat press coverage, hands, and physical play. Hence why he's a lot more valuable to teams like us than most of the rest of the league, which should show in his offers during free agency. I didn't think the dots were that hard to connect.

It sounds like we both learned a valuable lesson about who's not worth engaging in discussion.

3irty1
02-18-2014, 08:37 AM
When did James Jone's hands become a strength? Or is the argument that his hands are fine but his brain is damaged? But by golly that fella has a nice smile.

I know he's not as bad as he used to be, but every time he drops a ball, usually an easy one, it all comes flooding back.

He's got very natural hands so definitely his brain although I think even that is exaggerated in the minds of fans because his drops have tended to be in memorable situations. He fumbled twice in one game after Charles Tillman punched it out and by the time he shook his reputation as a fumbler he had a string of big drops in the 2010 playoffs and has been labeled a dropper ever since. Possibly unfairly. Certainly not like Finley who has Steve Blass syndrome of the hands. He has always sucked at catching it over his shoulder though he's seldom outrunning anyone to be in that situation anyways.

Patler
02-18-2014, 09:21 AM

James Jones has always had good hands, and has always made a lot of very difficult catches. He became infamous one year because of dropping several over the shoulder catches that looked like sure TDs, but even that season made some extremely difficult catches.

Over the last three seasons, Jordy Nelson (11/296) has a slightly higher drop rate than Jones (9/256), yet fans perceive Nelson as having great hands, and Jones' hands being a liability.

pbmax
02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
I think Rodgers may have changed how he throw to Jones down the sideline. He doesn't see many lasers over his shoulder these days. He tends to drop it in from higher up.

Probably somewhat dependent on the coverage, as if there is a safety nearby, you might not have a choice.

3irty1
02-18-2014, 10:08 AM
I think Rodgers may have changed how he throw to Jones down the sideline. He doesn't see many lasers over his shoulder these days. He tends to drop it in from higher up.

Probably somewhat dependent on the coverage, as if there is a safety nearby, you might not have a choice.

Seems to me that Jones's best route is that back shoulder thing along the sideline which might also be Rodgers's best route. It's like his Favre slant.

mraynrand
02-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Over the last three seasons, Jordy Nelson (11/296) has a slightly higher drop rate than Jones (9/256), yet fans perceive Nelson as having great hands, and Jones' hands being a liability.

It seems too that most of Nelson's drops are on crossing routes, when he gets confused how to position his hands. Jones's drops seem to have come on more vertical routes, a couple that I recall passed through/by defenders' hands, which typically increases the degree of difficulty on a catch. Jones' rep definitely suffered from the two fumbles at Chicago in '08 and the huge drops in Philly and in the Superbowl in '10.

Both seem pretty capable on comebacks and sideline throws.

Guiness
02-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Haven't seen this posted elsewhere:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/12/its-a-buyers-market-for-free-agent-receivers/

It's quite a deep field of FA WRs this year. James Jones is just another name on this list. Only 10-20% of these guys will get first-week, high-value contracts. The rest can be signed to shorter, cheaper contracts. Add in the ascension of Boykin in 2013, and I think WR is the least of our upcoming worries.

Hey, what about Titus Young? Talking about the Lions in the other thread reminded me about him, I think he got probation or something!

Brandon494
02-18-2014, 03:37 PM
That is how I would like to see it work out, but I can also envision a situation in which a team with a lack of decent receivers makes an offer to Jones that might not be extreme, but still more then the Packers are willing to pay.

People are making too much of the lack of interest shown in Jones when he was a FA the last time. He was a FA the year of the lockout. There was very little FA activity that year. I think in a normal year, he would have received more interest.

He had a very average season last year even with Jennings gone and Cobb/Finley injured. Out of the list of FA WRs hes not even in the top 10, no team is going to over pay for a WR who they don't think can be a #1. I also believe James Jones likes playing here and will most likely get a deal similar to the last contract he signed.

Brandon494
02-18-2014, 03:40 PM
James Jones has always had good hands, and has always made a lot of very difficult catches. He became infamous one year because of dropping several over the shoulder catches that looked like sure TDs, but even that season made some extremely difficult catches.

We remember Jones drops more because they seem to happen during a critical time in the game. Nelson on the other hand is the receiver I trust the most to make a catch with the game on the line.

mraynrand
02-18-2014, 05:27 PM
We remember Jones drops more because they seem to happen during a critical time in the game. Nelson on the other hand is the receiver I trust the most to make a catch with the game on the line.

I agree. And even though I like what Nelson does, I still don't see him as a true top flight #1 receiver - maybe #15-20 in the league at best. He just can't consistently get open and really depends on Rodger's accuracy. So the Packers can't take their receiving corps for granted and need to draft another top 20 receiver IMO.

smuggler
02-18-2014, 07:10 PM
I disagree. I think Nelson is a top10 receiver.

Freak Out
02-18-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't know about top 10 but the guy carried the team with Lacy when Rodgers and Cobb were gone. Wait....they lost how many straight? :) you know what I mean.....

packer4life
02-18-2014, 10:14 PM
I disagree. I think Nelson is a top10 receiver.

He is in the top 15.

He is not better than megatron, aj, fitz, dez, demaryius, Gordon, Marshall, Julio, and vjax. He is basically in the next tier.

Bretsky
02-18-2014, 10:51 PM

It would not suprise me if a team like NE or Denver swoop in on Jones; he would do well with both of those teams IMO where he's a part of things. If he goes to a team with severe weakness at WR who needs him to beat a top tier CB, he might disappear

Bretsky
02-18-2014, 10:52 PM
He is in the top 15.

He is not better than megatron, aj, fitz, dez, demaryius, Gordon, Marshall, Julio, and vjax. He is basically in the next tier.

Good examples; I'd take all of those over Nelson and maybe a couple more........I think top 15 is fair

Smidgeon
02-18-2014, 11:26 PM
Draft is loaded with WR talent. TT will look there, preferably earlier than R7.
I like all 3 of them and would be great if they all stayed in GB, but history has shown that WR turnover is not unusual.
Lord Voldemort played with Sharpe, Brooks, Freeman, Rison, Driver, Javon, and a few years of Jennings and one year of James Jones. (I'm forgetting others and ignoring the lesser lights.) Rodgers will play with a pretty long list as well. They key is to keep finding and developing talent...Boykin was a real find for them.

Props.

Smidgeon
02-18-2014, 11:31 PM

I thought Myles White had some good speed/quickness to him. I remember saying during one game (don't remember which) "I can see why they kept him". He needs some development (okay, a lot), but I think he has potential. More open field potential from what I've seen. Maybe he has hands, who knows?

To answer a non-Patler post, Jones does have big play ability. Not necessarily separation ability, but big play ability nonetheless.

Smidgeon
02-18-2014, 11:35 PM
It would not suprise me if a team like NE or Denver swoop in on Jones; he would do well with both of those teams IMO where he's a part of things. If he goes to a team with severe weakness at WR who needs him to beat a top tier CB, he might disappear

You know, I've been assuming JJ would be back in Green Bay. But then you went and mentioned New England who had such WR problems. Give Brady JJ, and he'd be just as effective there. I could see that happening.

smuggler
02-19-2014, 07:12 AM
He is not better than megatron, aj, fitz, dez, demaryius, Gordon, Marshall, Julio, and vjax.

I agree with all of those but VJax

Fritz
02-19-2014, 08:08 AM
I thought Myles White had some good speed/quickness to him. I remember saying during one game (don't remember which) "I can see why they kept him". He needs some development (okay, a lot), but I think he has potential. More open field potential from what I've seen. Maybe he has hands, who knows?

To answer a non-Patler post, Jones does have big play ability. Not necessarily separation ability, but big play ability nonetheless.

Myles White? Really? He did look fast, but every time I saw him, I wondered what that skinny high school kid who looked scared was doing out there.

Joemailman
02-19-2014, 08:13 AM
Myles White? Really? He did look fast, but every time I saw him, I wondered what that skinny high school kid who looked scared was doing out there.

I didn't think he looked scared, but I was afraid he might get hurt. If he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle he has a chance though.

Patler
02-19-2014, 08:25 AM
He had a very average season last year even with Jennings gone and Cobb/Finley injured. Out of the list of FA WRs hes not even in the top 10, no team is going to over pay for a WR who they don't think can be a #1. I also believe James Jones likes playing here and will most likely get a deal similar to the last contract he signed.

I would like to see that, maybe even with a moderate increase.

His stats for last year do not stand out, that's true. But, he missed two games completely, most of a third game and played the rest of the season with a bum knee, then added a broken rib. In view of all that, his stats look better. It only takes one team to be desperate to price him out of GB.

I agree that he seems to like it in GB, he almost sounded relieved three years ago when he re-signed with the Packers. But, he is at a time in his career when it might be now or never financially. This could be his last significant contract, if not the last completely. I don't think I could advise him to give GB too much of a discount.

Fritz
02-19-2014, 08:27 AM
I won't disagree with that.

And what about the kid from Maryland who landed on IR early, early in training camp? He supposedly is one of those size-speed prospects. I wonder - Dorsey, I think his name is? - if he has a chance to stick.

I thought last week that there was no way the Pack would try to keep Raji at anything less than about six mill a year, but now I'm wondering if they perhaps will take a shot, at least for a year by transition or franchise tag. If so, James Jones is gone, I think, because I can't imagine letting Shields go, so I am afraid they won't be able to afford Jones, with Nelson and Cobb coming up and Boykin a solid #4 guy.

I like James Jones. I'll miss him if he leaves, but I wouldn't blame him if he can get a good contract somewhere.

Patler
02-19-2014, 08:34 AM

I didn't think he looked scared, but I was afraid he might get hurt. If he can add 10-15 pounds of muscle he has a chance though.

He sure looked over-matched physically at times. I remember a couple times when he was thrown around like a rag doll. Of course, that can change a lot by next year, just as it did for Brett Swain a few years ago. Not that Swain became much of a WR, but in his first year he, too, was very much over-matched physically, but came back the next year as a pretty good ST player who didn't back down and got in a few licks of his own.

pbmax
02-19-2014, 08:35 AM

We think no one will pay someone #1 money who isn't a #1 receiver, but it happens every year. Not to every less than top flight WR, but to at least one of them.

Jets and Redskins fans know exactly what this looks like.

Patler
02-19-2014, 08:41 AM
And what about the kid from Maryland who landed on IR early, early in training camp? He supposedly is one of those size-speed prospects. I wonder - Dorsey, I think his name is? - if he has a chance to stick.

Johnson was the guy I most looked forward to watching in preseason, and Dorsey may have been my second. Both 7th rounders who seemed to have intriguing stories and physical talent. I hoped at least one one would add some excitement to the preseason games. Instead, neither one made it through rookie camp, and neither one could stay on the field during training camp.

Fritz
02-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Thus, the question is whether Dorsey can, A) get on and stay on the field, and B) whether he has NFL skills and the ability to pick up the mental aspects, too.

I hope so. I wonder what Packer brass thinks of him. They did keep him over Johnson, after all.

Joemailman
02-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Thus, the question is whether Dorsey can, A) get on and stay on the field, and B) whether he has NFL skills and the ability to pick up the mental aspects, too.

I hope so. I wonder what Packer brass thinks of him. They did keep him over Johnson, after all.

Well, they put Dorsey on IR and put Johnson on PS. Don't know what would have happened if Dorsey had been healthy. I like Dorsey though. Probably would have been drafted higher than 7th if not for Maryland's QB problems.

3irty1
02-19-2014, 10:06 AM
The Johnson thing appeared to be mismanaged by the Packers. He was signed off the PS then upon being inspected by the other teams doctors they discovered a problem with his knee and he went straight to IR. Seems like we let one get away.

pbmax
02-19-2014, 10:10 AM
The Johnson thing appeared to be mismanaged by the Packers. He was signed off the PS then upon being inspected by the other teams doctors they discovered a problem with his knee and he went straight to IR. Seems like we let one get away.

That was troubling, even more so than too many injuries.

3irty1
02-19-2014, 10:46 AM
To get this thread on track I'd like to share my desire for TT to sign free agent Cardinals WR Andre Roberts. I see a lot of Greg Jennings in Roberts's game. He's buttery smooth as a route runner, has excellent hands, very good after the catch (accomplished college punt returner), durable, shows Green Bay character, and while lacking elite speed to be a 9 route nightmare he has good speed (4.40 five years ago) to challenge a defense vertically. He's been rotting away in Arizona which has made him a under the radar free agent but does have some production and highlights from his time with Palmer at QB. In our 2013 preseason game against the Cardinals he beat House deep for a TD in an excellent example of what our offense has been missing. His best route appears to be an out route which he's excellent at setting up for a double move. My final argument TT, since I know you're reading, is that the NFL draft crop is deep at the WR position but is lacking in players with anything but average timed speed that can maximize their opportunities with big plays. Also even Rookie WR who are drafted highly are almost never real difference makers for their first year or two in the league. Perhaps the best value for 2014 is to find an ascending player on their 2nd or 3rd contract like Roberts.

Guiness
02-19-2014, 11:28 AM

And it seemed like a condition that existed when he was with the Packers. I'm surprised Cleveland picked up the tab instead of just sending him back to the Packers.

Brandon494
02-19-2014, 11:59 AM
We think no one will pay someone #1 money who isn't a #1 receiver, but it happens every year. Not to every less than top flight WR, but to at least one of them.

Jets and Redskins fans know exactly what this looks like.

Yup but its one thing in common those receivers that get overpaid have that Jones doesn't...SPEED!!!

Brandon494
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
To get this thread on track I'd like to share my desire for TT to sign free agent Cardinals WR Andre Roberts. I see a lot of Greg Jennings in Roberts's game. He's buttery smooth as a route runner, has excellent hands, very good after the catch (accomplished college punt returner), durable, shows Green Bay character, and while lacking elite speed to be a 9 route nightmare he has good speed (4.40 five years ago) to challenge a defense vertically. He's been rotting away in Arizona which has made him a under the radar free agent but does have some production and highlights from his time with Palmer at QB. In our 2013 preseason game against the Cardinals he beat House deep for a TD in an excellent example of what our offense has been missing. His best route appears to be an out route which he's excellent at setting up for a double move. My final argument TT, since I know you're reading, is that the NFL draft crop is deep at the WR position but is lacking in players with anything but average timed speed that can maximize their opportunities with big plays. Also even Rookie WR who are drafted highly are almost never real difference makers for their first year or two in the league. Perhaps the best value for 2014 is to find an ascending player on their 2nd or 3rd contract like Roberts.

I like Andre Roberts but if we do add another WR I hope its a taller guy, our red zone offense was horrible last season.

smuggler
02-19-2014, 01:17 PM
I'm surprised Cleveland picked up the tab instead of just sending him back to the Packers.

This, I think, speaks to the talent that Johnson has. Most likely, he will never amount to anything in the NFL. However, his talent gives him a chance.

mraynrand
02-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Yup but its one thing in common those receivers that get overpaid have that Jones doesn't...SPEED!!!

Whoa!

http://www.soundonsight.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/kr2.jpg

Joemailman
02-19-2014, 04:41 PM
Good examples; I'd take all of those over Nelson and maybe a couple more........I think top 15 is fair

Jordy was #10 in the NFL receiving yards despite not having his starting QB for half the season and he's only top 15? I think some people here underestimate him.

Bretsky
02-20-2014, 04:12 AM
Jordy was #10 in the NFL receiving yards despite not having his starting QB for half the season and he's only top 15? I think some people here underestimate him.

So give me your top fifteen with Jordy in the top ten. Jordy, like JJ, benefits from our expolsive offense. Guys like Fitz.....his offense is junk.....V Jackson...he has not QB......I try to take all the scenarios into account fwiw

run pMc
02-20-2014, 08:19 AM
Jones is pushing 30. TT likes younger players. Just sayin'.
Nice article in the JSO today about Cobb talking about his contract without talking about it.

run pMc
02-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Jordy would crack most top 15 WR lists, but not many Top 10. He did play pretty good considering the QB shuffle.

3irty1
02-20-2014, 10:35 AM
It's hard to rank Jordy for me. He doesn't play up to his size, and may not have the deceptive speed he had in 2011 but he's got no weaknesses either. He's a consummate professional that is somehow a lot better than the sum of his parts. I don't think there are 10 guys I'd rather have at this point but he's also at a pretty crowded tier of WR talent IMO.

smuggler
02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
He has elite body control. Sideline catches...

mraynrand
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
He has elite body control. Sideline catches...

Agree. But he is a step below the top flight guys listed above. Magatron, Marshall, Gordon, even Jeffery can win jump balls and get open and create space for themselves. Top 10? - I guess, why not, based on productivity, but still not an individually dominant WR*.

*like the top guys mentioned

pbmax
02-20-2014, 01:05 PM
Jordy still has his top gear but he was never quick in the middle of his routes like Jennings. He runs big and long.

BTW, CBS has cap going to $130 million. Makes it harder on Ted as more teams can spend more dumb money if true.

Joemailman
02-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Jordy still has his top gear but he was never quick in the middle of his routes like Jennings. He runs big and long.

BTW, CBS has cap going to $130 million. Makes it harder on Ted as more teams can spend more dumb money if true.

I wonder though if it increases the chances he would franchise Shields if they can't come to a deal.

pbmax
02-23-2014, 11:02 AM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h
Doesn't sound like Anquan Boldin going anywhere. Two sides closing in on deal to keep Boldin in SF, per sources. Deal expected to get done.