PDA

View Full Version : NFL salary cap expected to increase to about $130M

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-20-2014, 08:33 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326792/article/nfl-salary-cap-expected-to-increase-to-about-130m

pittstang5
02-21-2014, 06:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000326792/article/nfl-salary-cap-expected-to-increase-to-about-130m

I guess that's good for us - more money to sign some potential, future FAs (Cobb & Nelson) now, plus sign guys like Shields and Neal.

mraynrand
02-21-2014, 07:25 AM
Can they raise ticket prices twice in one off season?

ThunderDan
02-21-2014, 08:19 AM
Can they raise ticket prices twice in one off season?

They better not since we already paid for next year's tickets.

Fritz
02-21-2014, 09:41 AM
I guess that's good for us - more money to sign some potential, future FAs (Cobb & Nelson) now, plus sign guys like Shields and Neal.

I agree with this sense of priority - sign Shields to a deal - one for four or five years, if that's acceptable - then do long term deals with Cobb and Nelson, then sign Neal and James Jones, if you can fit them in.

I don't want the Pack starting over at OLB, and Neal has potential still. I love James Jones as a player and he's a rock in the locker room, so I'd like to see him back, but if someone else wants to give him a big contract I can't see the Pack matching that.

But Shields is huge. Davon House can be productive but Sam Shields can be special.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-22-2014, 01:58 PM
According to a source, the projection for the 2014 salary cap is now at $132 million.

https://twitter.com/ClaytonESPN/statuses/437287507110014976

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-22-2014, 02:00 PM
That that number is true we are probably looking at what 35 mil?

pbmax
02-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Now we know why Sean Gilbert wants back into the League.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-22-2014, 02:02 PM
The more the cap goes up the lesser impact Rodgers deal as on the ability to re-sign players. Looks like we picked the right offseason to sign him and Matthews otherwise he might have received even more money.

red
02-23-2014, 01:06 PM
I agree with this sense of priority - sign Shields to a deal - one for four or five years, if that's acceptable - then do long term deals with Cobb and Nelson, then sign Neal and James Jones, if you can fit them in.

I don't want the Pack starting over at OLB, and Neal has potential still. I love James Jones as a player and he's a rock in the locker room, so I'd like to see him back, but if someone else wants to give him a big contract I can't see the Pack matching that.

But Shields is huge. Davon House can be productive but Sam Shields can be special.

you wouldn't be starting over at OLB if you let Neal walk, because perry is the starter and IMO still the better of the 2. however it would be nice to have neal as a solid backup for when cmIII and/or perry get hurt and miss time

red
02-23-2014, 01:09 PM
That that number is true we are probably looking at what 35 mil?

34-35 million

that should be enough to sign all of our free agent, and draft picks, and still be players in free agency for 1 or 2 solid starters

no excuse this year for not trying to improve our team through free agency

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 01:51 PM
34-35 million

that should be enough to sign all of our free agent, and draft picks, and still be players in free agency for 1 or 2 solid starters

no excuse this year for not trying to improve our team through free agency

Last time we had 35 million was 2006 and he signed Woodson, Pickett, and some horrible safety (can't remember his name). So your probably right, this might be the year he signs a free agent or two of significance.

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Last time we had 35 million was 2006 and he signed Woodson, Pickett, and some horrible safety (can't remember his name). So your probably right, this might be the year he signs a free agent or two of significance.

But did the packers have the same number of internal FAs? Signing multiple internal guys might limit external options. (what if they sign Nelson, Cobb, Shields, Jones, Neal, AND Finley??? or 4/6 or 5/6? - I don't think it will happen, but you get the point)

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 01:56 PM
But did the packers have the same number of internal FAs? Signing multiple internal guys might limit external options. (what if they sign Nelson, Cobb, Jones, Neal, AND Finley??? or 4/5? - I don't think it will happen, but you get the point)

hmm that's a good point, I don't really remember...but if I had to guess I'd probably say no since that was the beginning of the TT era and he was letting more people go at that time. I do remember he signed Cullen Jenkins and Aaron Kampman both for 4 year deals that year though.

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 01:57 PM
^ I edited to add in Shields too. Lot of internal guys!

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
One person you didn't mention was Raji. I wonder if TT will tag him. That's a big decision that must be made sooner rather than later. Once free agency hits he's not coming back.

red
02-23-2014, 02:13 PM
One person you didn't mention was Raji. I wonder if TT will tag him. That's a big decision that must be made sooner rather than later. Once free agency hits he's not coming back.

i would be 100% shocked if we brought raji back, even if it was at 2 or 3 million a year

what we witnessed this year was a guy that completely gave up on his team

raji has already passed up that 8 million a year deal, a deal that would have made him one of the highest paid 3-4 linemen in the NFL

to me, its clear from him rejecting that deal and his play this season, that raji doesn't want to be here anymore, and i think the feeling is now mutual

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 02:18 PM
You are 100% right and I'm not so sure I want him back either if he doesn't want to be here. But with as much cap as we have is a tag and trade scenario out of the picture? I would rather get a second or even a third round pick this year then a compensation pick next year. If no body bites you rent his services for another year and then get the compensation pick. Would he play harder under the franchise tag knowing we probably won't tag him two years in a row?

red
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
You are 100% right and I'm not so sure I want him back either if he doesn't want to be here. But with as much cap as we have is a tag and trade scenario out of the picture? I would rather get a second or even a third round pick this year then a compensation pick next year. If no body bites you rent his services for another year and then get the compensation pick. Would he play harder under the franchise tag knowing we probably won't tag him two years in a row?

i honestly don't know if he was any trade value at this point. the guys made it clear that he wants big money, yet his last 3 years have been horrible.

i don't know if anyone will want to trade anything for a guy who's going to be a huge pain in the ass wanting a huge deal when the stats and tape show that he's not worth it

keep in mind, if you franchise him and trade him, that franchise number becomes the basis for the new deal. big franchise number = big contract numbers

as for him playing harder knowing we wouldn't tag him twice in a row. he was in a contract year this season. he was auditioning for all 32 teams, not just the packers. he did nothing, almost literally (17 tackles in 16 games, no sacks) thats horrible

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 02:56 PM
You're probably right its just you can't say he doesn't have talent. With as much cap as we have I don't like the idea of letting talented player just walk. Although with his play the last couple years it doesn't leave them with many options.

Guiness
02-23-2014, 03:44 PM

I don't see Raji being franchised at all - just no way he's worth it. I suspect he was (is?) expecting a big contract offer that will not come his way, and he'll take it personally and sign elsewhere, much in the way Cullen Jenkins did. Don't know why I think that, just a feeling I have.

smuggler
02-23-2014, 10:58 PM
No. They will not tag Raji.

Zool
02-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Marquand Manuel

mraynrand
02-24-2014, 11:38 AM
Marquand Manuel

Mraynrand shivers involuntarily

smuggler
02-24-2014, 03:18 PM
People shit on Mark Roman, but we replaced him with Marquand Manuel and it actually made me miss Mark Roman.

red
02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
People shit on Mark Roman, but we replaced him with Marquand Manuel and it actually made me miss Mark Roman.

and yet both roman and manuel are probably better then the shit we had playing safety this last season

pbmax
02-24-2014, 04:54 PM
and yet both roman and manuel are probably better then the shit we had playing safety this last season

They make me miss Peprah. I will take a fatally flawed safety as long as he only has ONE fatal flaw.

Zool
02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
They make me miss Peprah. I will take a fatally flawed safety as long as he only has ONE fatal flaw.

Bring Black Atari!

red
02-24-2014, 04:58 PM
Bring Black Atari!

seriously, atari would have been a breath of fresh air back there

smuggler
02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Pretty much anyone would have been better than MD. I think he failmary ruined him.

red
02-25-2014, 02:01 PM
PFT is quoting a source that says the cap will be even higher then 132 million

source doesn't give a number, but PFT is guessing 135

Joemailman
02-25-2014, 02:31 PM
Pretty much anyone would have been better than MD. I think he failmary ruined him.

Turns out M.D. stood for Major Deficiencies. I never thought he was a player. Just never seemed to make plays when it mattered. Good practice guy. Even the Fail Mary was a good example. All he needed to do was knock the ball to the ground and the game was over. He didn't need to try to intercept it.

mraynrand
02-25-2014, 04:20 PM
Bring Black Atari!

you really need to go ALL CAPS there. BRING BLACK BIGBY!!!

Fritz
02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
PFT is quoting a source that says the cap will be even higher then 132 million

source doesn't give a number, but PFT is guessing 135

The question is whether this means the Packers will be able to bring back a player they otherwise might not have, or if it means other teams will just pay more for guys.

I'd sure like to know what the hell is going on in Raji's head right now. Does the dude want to play in GB or not? I know Mikey's been pimping the idea that the Beej would have more playmaking opportunities next year if he came back, but that flies in the face of what I thought this defense tries to do, and it also flies in the face of the idea that the Beej pissed everyone off with his shitty attitude at the end of last season.

bobblehead
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM

Yep, I criticized MM for not resigning Peprah to a cheap contract. You knew he wasn't a probowler, but you also knew he wasn't paid like one. He was serviceable, and a D needs those guys.

bobblehead
02-26-2014, 12:39 PM
The question is whether this means the Packers will be able to bring back a player they otherwise might not have, or if it means other teams will just pay more for guys.

I'd sure like to know what the hell is going on in Raji's head right now. Does the dude want to play in GB or not? I know Mikey's been pimping the idea that the Beej would have more playmaking opportunities next year if he came back, but that flies in the face of what I thought this defense tries to do, and it also flies in the face of the idea that the Beej pissed everyone off with his shitty attitude at the end of last season.

If I'm Beej and MM's history says one thing, but his mouth says something else now that I am a free agent, I would feel like a tea partier at the NRSC. I know that the minute he gets my ink on the paper he is going right back to what history tells me.

pbmax
02-26-2014, 03:51 PM

I don't think McCarthy's talk of more players in better spots means Raji will get a different role, but its possible. I tend to think M3 was referring to people not on the field as much as Raji. Could be wrong though as he has not been specific.

As for the cap, the higher it goes the less likely he is to resign because someone will spend even more ridiculous money on him and Ted's number won't budge much.

Fritz
02-27-2014, 02:03 PM
And if you're a GM or owner who spends dumb on FA, the NFL just gave you every chance to up your dumb quotient by upping the salary cap.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2014, 09:03 PM
Salary cap expected to make nearly $10M jump in 2014. 133 mil

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000329753/article/salary-cap-expected-to-make-nearly-10m-jump-in-2014

red
02-27-2014, 09:52 PM
so i think that would put us at right around 33 million under the cap, right now

pbmax
02-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Kevin Seifert has it at $34 million.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/118418/inside-slant-cap-space-based-on-132m

TEAM CAP SPACE*
Oakland Raiders $66,387,920
Jacksonville Jaguars $55,128,123
Cleveland Browns $51,227,168
Indianapolis Colts $40,014,750
Miami Dolphins $38,181,273
Green Bay Packers $34,197,930
Minnesota Vikings $30,733,489
Cincinnati Bengals $29,362,957
Washington Redskins $28,684,986
New York Jets $25,744,558

*based on $132 estimate

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2014, 11:11 PM
For a team that has the highest paid QB and OLB in the league, that's a lot of cap space.

woodbuck27
02-27-2014, 11:14 PM

B.J. Raji = Grunt .....Ohh Dear I'm busted again.

Another Green Bay Packer BUST is about to become an NFL Bust.

woodbuck27
02-28-2014, 09:57 PM
The Official NFL Salary cap has been set at $133 Million$ ...and ... 60 cents :wink:

GO PACK GO !