PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

mraynrand
02-22-2014, 12:43 PM
other than the women's hockey final, they were boring.

The US ladies' top figure skater (Gold?) looks like Tom Hank's cave painting of Helen Hunt in Cast Away.

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Helen-Hunt-Cast-Away.3.jpg

wist43
02-22-2014, 06:00 PM
I didn't watch any of it - on NBC, why bother??

It's just one long Bob Costas/NBC lecture on progressivism, "We Are the Gay World", let's get in touch with our emotions - bullshit.

I did see that figure skating has regressed back to its Cold War era ways of corruption, as a Russian beat Yuna Kim :shock:

Yuna Kim is the greatest woman figure skater of all time, and she skated clean both programs. The Russian skated okay, but there was such a disparity in the scores, that everyone is pointing to the Russian judge - who is married to the Russian team coach, and the Ukrainian judge who was suspended for point fixing - as the sources of the corruption.

It won't tarnish Kim's legacy though - she's the greatest of all-time. They don't call her 'Queen Yu na' for nothin :)

Freak Out
02-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I will always be impressed by the ability of the skaters but the announcers coupled with the blatant scoring BS kills it for me.

I love alpine and nordic skiing but the conditions were horrid. Put the games back in a winter town.

wist43
02-22-2014, 10:22 PM
I will always be impressed by the ability of the skaters but the announcers coupled with the blatant scoring BS kills it for me.

I love alpine and nordic skiing but the conditions were horrid. Put the games back in a winter town.

I really hadn't watched skating in a long time... but when Yuna Kim hit the scene - she was perfection, and perfection is great to watch.

I would like to watch the skiing too, and believe it or not, lol... the curling. Like I said though, I just didn't even bother watching this year at all b/c of NBC. The coverage is a joke.

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 07:27 AM
There's no sporting event to watch for me like the Winter Olympics. My family was raised to love the Canadian Olympic Team's efforts on a larger world stage. Within which there are so many marvelous stories of various Olympic athletes around the world.

The Canadian population sits at approx. 35.158 million. It's projected that Canada's population will hit 52.6 million by 2061.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-520-x/2010001/aftertoc-aprestdm1-eng.htm

The real story is the medal count per million capita or how a country ranks vs much less populated countries.

Medal count:

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 Russian Fed. 13 11 9 33 (Population: 142.947 million)

2 Norway 11 5 10 26 (** Pop.:[B] 'Only' 5.085 million)

3 Canada 9 10 5 24 ( Pop. 34.568 million)

4 United States 9 7 12 28 (Pop.: 316.439 million)

5 Netherlands 8 7 9 24 ( Pop. 16.805 million)

6 Germany 8 6 5 19 (Pop. 81.147 million)

7 Switzerland 6 3 2 11 ( Pop. 7.996 million)

8 Belarus 5 0 1 6 ( Pop. 9.626 million)

9 Austria 4 8 5 17 ( Pop. 8.222 million)

10 France 4 4 7 15 ( Pop. 65.952 million)

Note: The stat's above as of Friday Morning 21 Feb. 2014.

I'll update this later.

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 08:39 AM
The telling story is the amount of population per medal.

Why is it that a country the population size of Norway again dominate the winter Olympics?

Other countries that dominate on a medal per capita population basis:

2. Slovenia 3. Latvia 4. Switzerland 5. Netherlands 6. Sweden 7. Austria 8. Finland 9. Check Republic 10. Belarus 11. CANADA 12. France 13. Croatia 14. Germany 15. Slovakia 16. Russia 17. Australia 18. Italy 19. Poland 20. Korea 21. United States 22. Japan 23. Great Britain 24. Kazakhstan 25. Ukraine 26. China (pop. 1.35 billion and 225 million people /medal)

Why is there such a disparity between neighboring countries or the USA and Canada in terms of population per medal? ie Canada at 1.819 Pop./medal (Ranked 11th world wide) and the USA at 12.657 million Pop./medal or a ratio of nearly 7:1.

Is it coaching? It sure hasn't much to do with anything superior in terms of Phys. Ed. in our public school system. That was emphasized in my day but now, not so much.

I lived for sports in school growing up. You had to be smart and athletic to survive in a tough urban setting. Delinquency and booze, drugs and sex were an anomaly. Teenage pregnancy was rare.

Today it's the party/social life that seems to dominate. Outrageous behaviour reigns more supreme. In my day any school bully got crushed like a fly. Good leadership, morals. ethics, decency and values reigned supreme. Now we are concerned over teenage suicide rates and bullying.

For two weeks every four years the Canadian Olympic program gets center stage and we seem to make resolutions to improve as a more athletic nation and we do manage that quite well.

We'll pick up another medal today in men's hockey and it should be a GOLG but we'll see. After two periods we lead Sweden 2-0 with about 16 minutes remaining in this GOLD medal game. The whole nation is up early and locked into this huge game as we go for our third straight hickey GOLD. Our offense has it as we're attacking today. Our defense dominates. There's no winner without a superior defense. You need a good 'D' in hockey and excellent goal tending and we have that in my favourite NHL player Carey Price the goalie for my Montreal Canadians; les Habitants... les HABS.

Were getting so serious about our Winter Olympic Program that just this weekend a brand new initiative was announced, whereby some fortunate Canadian citizen is eligible for 'a $ one million dollar$ award' for the best suggestion (s) on improving our country's athletic prowess in amateur (grass root) sports.

I believe the Canadian Tire Corporation is sponsoring this cash award. This is brand new so my information is sketchy.

So Canadian Packerrats maybe you have a $million dollar$ idea. :smile:

Well it's official. The Canuck Men's Hockey program matchs our womens prowess and wins Olympic GOLD again. Canada reigns supreme in both mens and womens hockey.

Hockey is OUR sport. . . . . GO CANADA GO !

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 09:00 AM
Medal Standings:

After Canada wins Men's Hockey Gold over Sweden,

Sunday 10 AM EST 23 Feb. 2014:

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/medals

red
02-23-2014, 01:22 PM

having the winter games in sochi is pretty close to the US having the winter games in atlanta, or florida

just stupid.

i think the IOC really needs to be investigated for corruption, not just for the location of the games, but also for all the odd BS that went on during the games

1 word to sum up these games would be corruption

i mean, you got pictures of a judge giving the figure skating gold medalist a huge hug after the competition. you've got another guys father and coach setting up a ski course that negates all speed and takes out most of the top competitors.

just shady shit all around. huge black eye for the olympics this year

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 01:25 PM
^^^^ spot on. Repped

red
02-23-2014, 01:26 PM
I really hadn't watched skating in a long time... but when Yuna Kim hit the scene - she was perfection, and perfection is great to watch.

I would like to watch the skiing too, and believe it or not, lol... the curling. Like I said though, I just didn't even bother watching this year at all b/c of NBC. The coverage is a joke.

it also doesn't help that nbc waits almost 12 hours (until primetime) to show many of the top events. i can look at the results in the morning when i wake up, then skip NBC's attempt to build fake drama at night. i like when they are showing one event, the have to quick jump over to another event, right in the middle of the first one, then later on they return to the other event, still in progress. even though both events ended 9 or 10 hours before

i also just LOVE (sarcasm) the hour long feel good segments in the middle of the primetime coverage, instead of showing any of the actual events. or segments like watch that old horse face skater and flaming johnny wier play tennis against 2 other NBC talking heads instead of showing, you know, the olympics

Freak Out
02-23-2014, 06:26 PM
The IOC has a LONG history of corruption....Juan Antonio Samaranch...err...Samasex anyone?

Kiwon
02-23-2014, 07:09 PM

Hey, don't be making moves on my Korean chick! :-)

Kiwon
02-23-2014, 07:42 PM

What are you talking about? They're FABULOUS!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/11/johnny-weir-outfits-olympics_n_4768129.html

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 10:44 PM
^^^^ Set phasers on STUNNING!!

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/359/e/c/gay_sulu__episode_31_by_cryptic_metaphor292-d35of2h.jpg

wist43
02-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Hey, don't be making moves on my Korean chick! :-)

I saw her first!!! lol...

They don't call her 'Queen Yuna for nothin... she's gorgeous :hrt:

http://rinksidecafe.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/yuna-kim.jpg

MadtownPacker
02-24-2014, 02:26 PM
Crackas, always trying to buy mail-order brides.

Zool
02-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Crackas, always trying to buy mail-order brides.

Korean, but from Russia. Double whammy.

mraynrand
02-24-2014, 02:30 PM

Indeed, she is a classic beauty. Plus she can skate too.

The U.S. dance skater on the other hand, looked like a Disney character

http://www.post-gazette.com/image/2014/02/17/ca0,0,4816,3211/527186906.jpg

http://disney-clipart.com/Aladdin/jasmine/Disney-Princess-Jasmine10.jpg

mraynrand
02-24-2014, 02:31 PM
Crackas...

that's a five yard penalty

wist43
02-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Really can't think of a use for an Amerikan woman - European either for that matter. Good drinkin buddies I suppose...

Kind of narrows the field down :)

mraynrand
02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Really can't think of a use for an Amerikan woman

I can

mraynrand
02-25-2014, 10:24 PM

http://oi36.tinypic.com/6huoo2.jpg

woodbuck27
02-28-2014, 12:21 AM

The US ladies' top figure skater (Gold?) looks like Tom Hank's cave painting of Helen Hunt in Cast Away.

http://www.zuguide.com/image/Helen-Hunt-Cast-Away.3.jpg

" other than the women's hockey final, they were boring." mraynrand

Your correct that wasn't boring but to most of us simple Canucks these games were very decent and hardly boring.

Of course we've a marvelous media team here to cover it all. A class act.

woodbuck27
03-02-2014, 12:45 PM
http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2014/02/25/national-post-editorial-board-great-olympic-hockey-but-dont-forget-jan-hudec/

National Post editorial board: Great Olympic hockey. But ... don’t forget Canadian skier Jan Hudec

National Post Editorial Board | February 25, 2014 | Last Updated: Feb 24 5:38 PM ET

Comment woodbuck:

It's utterly amazing what this man did in the Sochi Olympics when you realize what he's gone through to even have an opportunity to ski in this event.

" He has had seven knee operations, including four on his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). At 32 years old, he is old by the standards of downhill racing. In eight seasons of World Cup competition, he’d won just two races — one in 2007, the other in 2012." fr. Article

woodbuck27: Way to go Jan Hudec.

Joemailman
03-20-2014, 06:32 PM
5 cities vying for 2022 Winter Olympics.

The files of the five applicant cities, namely Almaty (Kazakhstan), Beijing (China), Krakow (Poland), Lviv (Ukraine) and Oslo (Norway), would provide the IOC with an overview of each city's vision and concept for the Games and form the basis for an initial technical analysis of the bid.

They need to give it to a city that is actually cold in February. Stay away from ocean cities.

Will they refuse to give it to Lviv, fearing that Ukraine will be a part of Russia by 2022?

mraynrand
03-20-2014, 06:55 PM
I say have it in Afghanistan - the biathlon athletes can shoot at Taliban.