PDA

View Full Version : James Jones Has No Contract Offer From Packers

pbmax
02-23-2014, 09:27 AM
McGinn leads with agent saying Ted doesn't want him back, but the real keys might be a couple of paragraphs down where the agent admits teams are being much closer to vest at combine these days, a deep draft at WR and the presence of a lot of FA WRs.

Once before, Jones had to gauge the market before signing with Packers. Did he have an offer in hand back then?

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-prepared-to-let-james-jones-leave-as-free-agent-b99210554z1-246732241.html

Also, see bonus admission of tampering, unlikely to be punished style.

Teamcheez1
02-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Even if TT was going to make an offer, he would be discreet about it. Agents are always trying to drum up interest in their clients and generate a better contract.

I would like to keep Jones, but I would lose sleep about a lot of the other positions on this team before worrying about WR.

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 10:20 AM
This will be a telling off season to determine the mood of the Green Bay Packer locker room.

With both Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb being UFA's in 2015. I'll feel more comfortable with James Jones signed.

GO PACK GO !

pittstang5
02-23-2014, 10:23 AM
Nelson, Cobb and Jones...

You can keep two, who do you pick?

I pick Nelson and Cobb. Nothing against Jones. He's been a great teammate and is the definition of "Packer People." I just think Nelson and Cobb have more to offer going forward. Cobb has the "Wow" factor and Nelson is just solid.

If you look at money allocated to a position, the Packers as well as most teams, can't afford to have three big contracts at the WR position. Most teams have one, big name WR. Packers have been very fortunate to have been able to draft and develop good to very good WRs since TT took over. Paying Jones now, IMO, decreases your chances of signing Cobb and Nelson.

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 10:30 AM

I pick Nelson and Cobb. Nothing against Jones. He's been a great teammate and is the definition of "Packer People." I just think Nelson and Cobb have more to offer going forward. Cobb has the "Wow" factor and Nelson is just solid.

If you look at money allocated to a position, the Packers as well as most teams, can't afford to have three big contracts at the WR position. Most teams have one, big name WR. Packers have been very fortunate to have been able to draft and develop good to very good WRs since TT took over. Paying Jones now, IMO, decreases your chances of signing Cobb and Nelson.

Put that way:

ditto.

Brandon494
02-23-2014, 10:37 AM
Jones would get no where near the money Nelson or Cobb would receive but you are right the cap space is the reason. We can use that money else where on defense while Boykin takes over for Jones. I was for keeping Jones but actually letting him walk does make sense. I think we all trust TT will be able to draft a capable WR to replace him. I'm fine with either decision.

pbmax
02-23-2014, 10:54 AM
Even if TT was going to make an offer, he would be discreet about it. Agents are always trying to drum up interest in their clients and generate a better contract.

I would like to keep Jones, but I would lose sleep about a lot of the other positions on this team before worrying about WR.

Well, somehow we know the Packers made offers to Jennings and Raji that they initially declined. So they do occasionally let the story get out.

bobblehead
02-23-2014, 11:22 AM

You are assuming we can definitely lock up Cobb and Nelson. If you can sign JJ to a good deal you do it.

red
02-23-2014, 12:45 PM

its not even close to being like that. jones is not going to get big time money no matter where he's at.

jones is probably going to get around 3 million a year again.

jordy and cobb could both be looking at 8-10 million a year

IMO, we can't give both jordy and cobb that kind of money. one has to walk.

sign jones to the 3 million a year. resign cobb or jordy, and trade the other one (you know, getting something in return for our talent instead of just comp picks). then draft one of the many talented rookies this year to get the depth back up

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Red, you're right about jordy and Jones.

I don't think Cobb is gonna get huge payday though. start comparing him to other guys with his size and speed and productivity.

Start with Sproles - 4 years 12 mil, 6 guar
Welker, 2 years 12 mil, I think half was guaranteed and he's due a 3 mil roster bonus this year

Maybe look at some other receivers, but these guys bracket what Cobb Does. Welker has 80-120 receptions, sproles has 70 receptions, 40-50 rushes and some returns. Cobb probably won't get another 80 receptions next year, and will return less. So I see him getting 3-5 mil money; maybe a four year deal with 6-10 guar; absolute max.

red
02-23-2014, 01:45 PM
yeah, but welker was on the wrong side of 30 when he signed his current deal

and sproles is technically a running back, even though he catches more then he rushes. running backs usually make less

plus, you can't forget that before cobbs injury, he had clearly become a-rods "go-to" guy

however, i also thought shields was worth around 8 per year and it looks like he might be had for 6, so maybe i'm just doing what i accuse TT of doing and over-valuing our own guys

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
Cobb and Nelson are BOTH staying long term and I'd be willing to bet on that. No chance TT lets Cobb walk and if he was going to give Jennings 10 million/year in 2012 that means he would have had both Jennings AND Cobb eventually making big money (meaning he's fine paying two wrs big money). Replace Nelson for Jennings but at a probably cheaper rate.

As for Jones, I would be sad to see him go but not if its at the expense of Nelson or Cobb. But me personally I would try to keep all three with the cap we have and it only going up in the upcoming years.

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 01:50 PM
yeah, but welker was on the wrong side of 30 when he signed his current deal

and sproles is technically a running back, even though he catches more then he rushes. running backs usually make less

plus, you can't forget that before cobbs injury, he had clearly become a-rods "go-to" guy

however, i also thought shields was worth around 8 per year and it looks like he might be had for 6, so maybe i'm just doing what i accuse TT of doing and over-valuing our own guys

4 years, 20-22 mil, 10 guar?

red
02-23-2014, 02:06 PM
i don't know, i think it would be great for the team if cobb took that kind of deal

but i think cobb is going to be closer to the deals jennings and harvin did

jennings got 9 per year and harvin is just over 10.

i would put cobb in that class of receiver, especially if he can stay healthy this year and play a full season as a-rods #1 target

heres a list of the top paid 25 WR's for reference, i think cobb easily will fit into that group

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/wide-receiver/limit-25/

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 02:12 PM
While I agree with the comparison that Cobb fits into that mold of receiver, he doesn't have quite the same production those two had at the same point in their careers. Cobb played a very limited role as a receiver in 2011 and almost missed all of 2013. I think if they try to sign him before or during the season he will sign for closer to 6-7 mil/year than 9-10mil/year.

mraynrand
02-23-2014, 02:15 PM
heres a list of the top paid 25 WR's for reference, i think cobb easily will fit into that group

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/wide-receiver/limit-25/

my first reaction to that list was: "WOW, a lot of those guys are overpaid!"

red
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
While I agree with the comparison that Cobb fits into that mold of receiver, he doesn't have quite the same production those two had at the same point in their careers. Cobb played a very limited role as a receiver in 2011 and almost missed all of 2013. I think if they try to sign him before or during the season he will sign for closer to 6-7 mil/year than 9-10mil/year.

the one year cobb was completely healthy is almost exactly the same (stat wise) as what harvin did in the years he was actually healthy

harvins best year was 2011. he played all 16 games, had 87 catches for 967 yards and 6 td's

cobbs best year was 2012. he played all 16 games, had 80 catches for 954 yards and 8 td's

before cobb got hurt this year, he was on pace to shatter those career numbers. if he can stay healthy this season, he could go 1200+ and get into that same type of production jennings was doing before he left

red
02-23-2014, 02:22 PM
my first reaction to that list was: "WOW, a lot of those guys are overpaid!"

yup, then you see guys like #25- julio jones, who's going to shoot way up that list with a new deal pretty soon

wr's, even just slightly above average ones, are worth big bucks

and that list is average per year, not just this years cap number

smuggler
02-23-2014, 02:35 PM
I hope we do make an offer to James, but if you have been paying attention to the combine, it's easy to understand why the Packers might consider letting him walk.

There are a lot of good receivers in this draft, actually a preposterous level of depth. I am hoping we draft two.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
2012 Minnesota Vikings 9 62 677 10.9 75.2 45 3 8 1 36 0 (Averaging 1200+)

2011 Minnesota Vikings 16 87 967 11.1 60.4 52T 6 14 2 45 2

2010 Minnesota Vikings 14 71 868 12.2 62.0 53T 5 14 2 41 0

2009 Minnesota Vikings 15 60 790 13.2 52.7 51T 6 12 3 42 1

2013 Green Bay Packers 6 31 433 14.0 72.2 48T 4 6 1 18 0

2012 Green Bay Packers 15 80 954 11.9 63.6 39T 8 17 0 45 0

2011 Green Bay Packers 15 25 375 15.0

You could very well be right red considering Cobb was buried down the depth chart in 2011 and his 2013 season was much like Harvins 2012. Either way it won't really matter in Cobb's case if you think about it. If he signs this offseason to say a 4 year 40 million extension, add his 2014 salary of less than 1 million than its really a 5year/40 million contact (8 per year). If he waits until after the season to sign a 4year/40 million contract its a 10 million/year deal but in reality over a five year period its still 8million/year (just depends of you want to pay more on this years cap or on later years).

Edit: I just think he might go for a 4year/35million extension NOW based off his stats and never making that much money in his life. In that case its basically a 5year/35million deal or about 7 million a year. Either deal is a good deal for the packers to make.

red
02-23-2014, 04:16 PM
i should also add that even though i think cobb is comparable to harvin, and he might be looking at money close to that, i think the harvin contract, and the trade for him, is one of the most asinine contracts in recent memories

Guiness
02-23-2014, 05:30 PM
You are assuming we can definitely lock up Cobb and Nelson. If you can sign JJ to a good deal you do it.

Exactly - it reminds me of the Wahle Riviera year. So much debate about which the Pack would keep, and we all know how that turned out.

Unless they think they've got his replacement right now (probably Boykin) they should make an effort to retain him.

red
02-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Exactly - it reminds me of the Wahle Riviera year. So much debate about which the Pack would keep, and we all know how that turned out.

Unless they think they've got his replacement right now (probably Boykin) they should make an effort to retain him.

well, judging by the story that someone linked to, M3 was interviewed and said boykins can be a #3 or even a #2, and that he (m3) believes boykins has "it"

so it would look like the team is more then confortable going forward with boykins being a major part of the offense. so i would say there is a chance that one, two or maybe all three of jordy, cobb and jones could be allowed to walk

they proved last year with jennings and maybe this year with jones, that they have no problem with letting talented receivers walk

wr, is one thing that TT seems to be very good at finding. so there may be no reason to invest big money in the position when they seem to grow on trees for the team

Rastak
02-23-2014, 08:42 PM
i should also add that even though i think cobb is comparable to harvin, and he might be looking at money close to that, i think the harvin contract, and the trade for him, is one of the most asinine contracts in recent memories

Harvin is a step above most NFL players...one of the top 2 or 3 playmakers.......he's also an unstable nut. His migraine issues although under control are no joke. I think it's affected him and understandably so.

woodbuck27
02-23-2014, 10:41 PM
Harvin is a step above most NFL players...one of the top 2 or 3 playmakers.......he's also an unstable nut. His migraine issues although under control are no joke. I think it's affected him and understandably so.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5DgYN737n-NHipt8DR5DxKRQaHan8Bd3APdyaZGyLGpvJDwAM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0dTZKwEjRneVdb0fhQqFAyWHn3nUiE O_5DtJbI-kzlkud4umpnA

Pugger
02-24-2014, 08:33 AM
The last time Jones tested the FA market there weren't a lot of teams clamoring for his services and now he is older. Unless somebody offers him a ridiculous contract I suspect he might be back with us in 2014 and we'll still be able to sign Jordy and Cobb to long term deals.

red
02-24-2014, 09:16 AM
The last time Jones tested the FA market there weren't a lot of teams clamoring for his services and now he is older. Unless somebody offers him a ridiculous contract I suspect he might be back with us in 2014 and we'll still be able to sign Jordy and Cobb to long term deals.

one thing that james had going against him the last time he was a FA was the fact that he couldn't catch a ball to save his life back then.

he's obviously improved on that greatly. however he is older now, and with so many other younger free agents, and with the draft being so deep, he might have a hard time finding a team

i could see him returning for less then what he got last time, even though he's a much better player now

bobblehead
02-24-2014, 09:56 AM

So you pick Cobb and Nelson. What if they don't pick you? What if we don't get a deal done during this season and Nelson gets offered funny money by some desperate to save his butt GM? You have already let JJ walk, now you lost Jordy and Cobb suddenly realizes his bargaining position. Nice job future GM. How about if we can lock up JJ for a good deal we do it.

mraynrand
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
So you pick Cobb and Nelson. What if they don't pick you? What if we don't get a deal done during this season and Nelson gets offered funny money by some desperate to save his butt GM? You have already let JJ walk, now you lost Jordy and Cobb suddenly realizes his bargaining position. Nice job future GM. How about if we can lock up JJ for a good deal we do it.

it all depends on the price, intentions in the draft, and their estimation of the guys they have on the roster. There's four guys at the bottom of the depth chart - due to injury - that they are considering for those open slots as well. If Jones is too much, even by a little, I expect him to be gone. Packers probably want him back, but at a bargain. And if they don't get him, they have the draft. Also, Jones just isn't good enough to take up this much bandwidth.

red
02-24-2014, 11:50 AM
should it be brought up that throughout his career jones has usually been going up against the other teams 3rd or 4th best cb?

MadtownPacker
02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
If I'm gonna say finley should go cuz he can't catch I have to say try to keep JJ because actually does make catches and some tough ones at that. JJ has had his big games and been there when he was needed. About what you want for a 2 or 3 right? Based on his last contract bid maybe he will accept a respectful offer.

MadtownPacker
02-24-2014, 12:27 PM
should it be brought up that throughout his career jones has usually been going up against the other teams 3rd or 4th best cb?Is it held against the better posters here because they only have to school your sorry ass?

pittstang5
02-24-2014, 01:12 PM

My fear is that if you pay Jones now, you have other positions/players that that money could be going towards - plus, money needed to pay Cobb and Nelson. You bring up a good point and yes, we could lose both Nelson and Cobb. Anything is possible.

My feeling is that Jones may bring more than 3 -4 mil. per year. If you can sign Jones cheaply, I'm all for that, but I don't want to sacrifice losing Cobb or Nelson if you pay to keep Jones. Nothing against Jones, but I think he is easier to replace compared to Cobb or Nelson.

3irty1
02-24-2014, 02:47 PM
the one year cobb was completely healthy is almost exactly the same (stat wise) as what harvin did in the years he was actually healthy

harvins best year was 2011. he played all 16 games, had 87 catches for 967 yards and 6 td's

cobbs best year was 2012. he played all 16 games, had 80 catches for 954 yards and 8 td's

before cobb got hurt this year, he was on pace to shatter those career numbers. if he can stay healthy this season, he could go 1200+ and get into that same type of production jennings was doing before he left

I think that's kind of a misleading way to look at Cobb. He might get to the same amount of yards and TD's as Jennings but he'll take a lot more catches to get there IMO. Cobb is potentially a one-man offense but too many guys like that on one team start to give diminishing returns because there just aren't enough balls to go around. Nice thing about Jennings was the damage he could do with 65 catches in a year.

red
02-24-2014, 04:54 PM
I think that's kind of a misleading way to look at Cobb. He might get to the same amount of yards and TD's as Jennings but he'll take a lot more catches to get there IMO. Cobb is potentially a one-man offense but too many guys like that on one team start to give diminishing returns because there just aren't enough balls to go around. Nice thing about Jennings was the damage he could do with 65 catches in a year.

is cobb gonna remain in the same role if jones leaves, and continue to take all the hard underneath yards or will they spread him out more and let him go deeped like jennings use to do?

i could see the team getting him out from the middle of the field so he doesn't take as much of a beating

red
02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Is it held against the better posters here because they only have to school your sorry ass?

yeah, and all 5 of the other posters on here are all really on top of their game

Bretsky
02-24-2014, 07:10 PM
For those who are saying "if" we can get Jones to sign a good deal....do it.............what does that mean ?

I'm thinking Fair Market Value for JJ is 3.5 to 4.5 MIL/Year
If I'm GB I'm probably telling JJ to come back if he's interested in a 2.5MIL per year deal over three to four years and then I'm going and drafting a WR in the round 4-5 area like Abbederis

I think Jones could do well on a team like Denver or NE who employs multiple WR's with an excellent QB who can elevate him and/or expose some mismatches. Or on Green Bay....time will tell

smuggler
02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
I think 3mil a year is more than fair. GB will let him test the waters, and if he gets significantly more than that, pat him on the back, wish him luck, and kiss him goodbye.

Smidgeon
02-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Two times I can remember McCarthy designing a season's plan around a skill position focal point. Both times, that player was lost for most or all of the year. <sigh> What could have been...

Smidgeon
02-25-2014, 10:07 AM
is cobb gonna remain in the same role if jones leaves, and continue to take all the hard underneath yards or will they spread him out more and let him go deeped like jennings use to do?

i could see the team getting him out from the middle of the field so he doesn't take as much of a beating

But isn't that why Cobb is so dangerous? His ability to work the middle of the field? He isn't the speedster with the height and leaping ability on the outside. He'll be the slant guy who can make guys miss in the middle.

red
02-25-2014, 10:14 AM
But isn't that why Cobb is so dangerous? His ability to work the middle of the field? He isn't the speedster with the height and leaping ability on the outside. He'll be the slant guy who can make guys miss in the middle.

neither were jennings or driver

cobbs 40 time was just a touch faster then jennings. and jennings is only and inch taller

i think if they wanted cobb to play that type of game, he could. and i'm sure cobb would prefer to play the outside deep role, and not go over the middle and get the shit beat out of him on every play

Patler
02-25-2014, 10:27 AM
Random comments about James Jones situation:

First, the guy has amazingly poor timing. His first go at free agency was in 2011, the year of the lockout. The regular expiring contract free agents were "locked out" of negotiations until the CBA was agreed to. Free agent signings didn't start until 7/25, just days before training camps opened. Teams were trying to get TC rosters filled, rookies in for orientations, etc. It was a very tepid free agent year, and many players signed so-so contracts with their old teams, just like Jones did.

Now, his second opportunity at FA is a year that has a very solid group of free agent WRs younger than him, but very accomplished, AND it is a very solid year for WRs in the draft. Teams needing WR's will have a lot to pick from.

Recently, GB has been able to negotiate several agreements that pay a player well, but make it relatively easy for the team to part ways with the player without a huge cap hit. Brad Jones contract is that way. If they can do the same with James Jones, it will give them protection against Nelson or Cobb leaving for huge paydays the Packers can't match. On the other hand, if they need the money to sign either Nelson or Cobb, and/or Boykin really blossoms, and/or they get a gem in the draft, they could trade Jones if they can or release him if they must and free up some additional cap space.

In view of the WR situation in FA and the draft, I think there is a reasonable likelihood of Jones being back in GB. The fact they have had no discussions is meaningless. At this stage, Jones would be foolish not to see what the market looks like, and GB has options allowing them to be patient.

3irty1
02-25-2014, 11:09 AM
neither were jennings or driver

cobbs 40 time was just a touch faster then jennings. and jennings is only and inch taller

i think if they wanted cobb to play that type of game, he could. and i'm sure cobb would prefer to play the outside deep role, and not go over the middle and get the shit beat out of him on every play

That doesn't tell the whole story either though. Jennings ran a 4.42 but he ran the final 20 in 1.82 seconds. Cobb ran a 4.46 with his final 20 as 1.93. That's about how it looks at game speed to me as well: Cobb is more quick than fast, Jennings has much higher top speed.

mraynrand
02-25-2014, 11:10 AM
At this stage, Jones would be foolish not to see what the market looks like, and GB has options allowing them to be patient.

[/thread]

red
02-25-2014, 11:23 AM
That doesn't tell the whole story either though. Jennings ran a 4.42 but he ran the final 20 in 1.82 seconds. Cobb ran a 4.46 with his final 20 as 1.93. That's about how it looks at game speed to me as well: Cobb is more quick than fast, Jennings has much higher top speed.

where did you get those numbers, was it a site?

i've been looking for a site with accurate old combine numbers, not just nfldraftscout.com

3irty1
02-25-2014, 11:26 AM
where did you get those numbers, was it a site?

i've been looking for a site with accurate old combine numbers, not just nfldraftscout.com

I've got a google doc, most of the numbers from it came from nfldraftscout though.

pbmax
02-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Two times I can remember McCarthy designing a season's plan around a skill position focal point. Both times, that player was lost for most or all of the year. <sigh> What could have been...

Well, at least now I know what I will worry about this offseason that I have zero control over. :D

Patler
02-25-2014, 11:51 AM

Well, at least now I know what I will worry about this offseason that I have zero control over. :D

Based on what MM has said since season end, Lacy is doomed for next season.

Smeefers
02-25-2014, 12:24 PM
I'm not worried about JJ leaving. TT is a boss when it comes to drafting WR's.

Fritz
02-25-2014, 01:37 PM
We have to factor in what they know about guys like Dorsey and Boykin and Myles "Standish" White.

But I am hoping they re-sign James Jones to a reasonable contract. He's a professional. I like the guy.

Zool
02-25-2014, 01:58 PM
We have to factor in what they know about guys like Dorsey and Boykin and Myles "Standish" White.

But I am hoping they re-sign James Jones to a reasonable contract. He's a professional. I like the guy.

In the last 2 days we've had a Larry Hagman reference and a Miles Standish reference. This is why I love you guys.

run pMc
02-25-2014, 03:38 PM
I like Jones, but I think they will let him shop and draft a similar sized WR. It's a really good draft for WRs. He's turning 30, the FA class isn't bad, the draft is loaded, and GB has Boykin. Patler's right -- his timing is truly awful. I don't think he comes back unless the market is really cold, and if a contract from TT went over $2 yrs/5M I'd be surprised.

Someone mentioned Brandin Cooks. Super productive but a little small so I think he'd be insurance against Cobb leaving.
As for Cobb, at 5-10 he's a little small for playing a lot on the outside, especially when you have bigger bodies like Jordy and Boykin. His quickness is valuable in the slot and he should get a lot of favorable matchups there IMO. Jennings could play anywhere, and his route running and sneaky speed allowed him to play outside. I'm just not sure if Cobb can be as effective. I'd give him chances out there -- he's already had his share of injuries -- but I wouldn't plan for him to exclusively play the X.

Some have remarked that McCarthy doesn't use a lot of motion with the receivers. I kind of wish he would, especially against teams that like to play press, and with guys like Cobb you can move them around and really make a defense adjust.

red
02-25-2014, 06:31 PM
In the last 2 days we've had a Larry Hagman reference and a Miles Standish reference. This is why I love you guys.

standish was a pussy. how hard is it to defeat a bunch of natives that fight with rocks and sticks when you have swords, cannons,horses and muskets?

run pMc
02-25-2014, 06:55 PM
standish was a pussy. how hard is it to defeat a bunch of natives that fight with rocks and sticks when you have swords, cannons,horses and muskets?

...and Larry Hagman had a curvy genie calling him Master.

Smeefers
02-27-2014, 07:48 AM
I like Jones, but I think they will let him shop and draft a similar sized WR. It's a really good draft for WRs. He's turning 30, the FA class isn't bad, the draft is loaded, and GB has Boykin. Patler's right -- his timing is truly awful. I don't think he comes back unless the market is really cold, and if a contract from TT went over $2 yrs/5M I'd be surprised.

Someone mentioned Brandin Cooks. Super productive but a little small so I think he'd be insurance against Cobb leaving.
As for Cobb, at 5-10 he's a little small for playing a lot on the outside, especially when you have bigger bodies like Jordy and Boykin. His quickness is valuable in the slot and he should get a lot of favorable matchups there IMO. Jennings could play anywhere, and his route running and sneaky speed allowed him to play outside. I'm just not sure if Cobb can be as effective. I'd give him chances out there -- he's already had his share of injuries -- but I wouldn't plan for him to exclusively play the X.

Some have remarked that McCarthy doesn't use a lot of motion with the receivers. I kind of wish he would, especially against teams that like to play press, and with guys like Cobb you can move them around and really make a defense adjust.

I like that. Sneaky speed. It's so true. One minute he was jogging down the field, then next he's gone... but still with that same comfortable rhythm. Cobb's an arrow, a dart, a flash. He's a damn humming bird, jumping all over the place.

Fritz
02-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Alright, then, what's the Jordy Nelson comparison.

woodbuck27
03-02-2014, 11:15 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/2/28/5454682/riley-coopers-extension-may-raise-price-for-packers-james-jones

Riley Cooper's Extension May Raise Price for Packers' James Jones

By: Jason Hirschhorn  @JBHirschhorn on Feb 28 2014, 9:00 AM

" Greg Bedard of Sports Illustrated and theMMQB.com recently released his list of the top 100 free agents. Riley Cooper came in at 55 with Jones finishing ahead at 53. In his notes, Bedard described neither as number one receivers, an argument most will agree with. " Fr. Article

GO PACKERS !

Guiness
03-03-2014, 12:42 PM
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/2/28/5454682/riley-coopers-extension-may-raise-price-for-packers-james-jones

Riley Cooper's Extension May Raise Price for Packers' James Jones

By: Jason Hirschhorn  @JBHirschhorn on Feb 28 2014, 9:00 AM

" Greg Bedard of Sports Illustrated and theMMQB.com recently released his list of the top 100 free agents. Riley Cooper came in at 55 with Jones finishing ahead at 53. In his notes, Bedard described neither as number one receivers, an argument most will agree with. " Fr. Article

GO PACKERS !

Probably true. I don't think JJ will get the same money Cooper did, he really stepped up when the Eagles had a shortage of WRs. I do think they're comparable, is this the market for #3WRs now? I'd put Cooper at #3, behind Maclin and DeSean. There are rumour that the Eagles are tired of Jackson and will move him though, so maybe they project him as a #2.

Smeefers
03-03-2014, 07:02 PM
I think JJ is a star #2 reciever. The guy can easily catch 60 balls a year.

woodbuck27
03-04-2014, 12:23 AM
I'd like James jones back on the team for the good insurance he offers the Packers; and especially considering FA in 2015; but somehow it looks like that's not likely to happen.

Overall James Jones has gifts that bring a lot to any NFL team thin at the WR position in a pass happy NFL.

James Jones and his excellent work ethic and attitude will find work elsewhere. ** Maybe the New York GIANTS will scoop him up with Ben McAdoo there now!? Other possible destinations ....Buffalo, Oakland or San Diego!?

** Anyone see this Blog?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/431446/james-jones

See Feb. 07, 2014 post....and James Jones possibly to the New York GIANTS.

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 12:39 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/285180/james-jones-i-would-love-to-play-with-cam

Guiness
03-17-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm very surprised that after two good years JJ doesn't seem to be getting any attention at all in FA. With Nelson and Cobb he finds himself at #3, or even #4 on the depth chart, but I would think he could be a possible #2 on a few teams around the league.

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 11:32 AM
I'm very surprised that after two good years JJ doesn't seem to be getting any attention at all in FA. With Nelson and Cobb he finds himself at #3, or even #4 on the depth chart, but I would think he could be a possible #2 on a few teams around the league.

I`d bet a small amount of money that very soon we`ll learn that James Jones has signed as a Carolina Panther wide receiver. The Panthers are hurting bad now at that position after having lost four top WR`s from their roster.

This looks like James Jones best opportunity to get a fair to very good contract. If Russ Ball ( Vice Pres. of Football Administration and Finance ...Green Bay Packers ) and Packer GM Ted Thompson `ìn fact`do value James Jones they might kick into gear .... now.

Otherwise I believe it`s more than just likiely that the Packers UFA WR James Jones will move to another organization and it sure looks like the Carolina Panthers are the team up first in he and his agents minds.

HAPPY St. Patricks Day Guiness ! and ALL Packerrats that have `the Irish`in them. Have a great St. Patrick`s Day Packerrat leprechauns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leprechaun

Question For St. Patricks Day :

Who was the first Notre Dame Alumnai football player to score a TD in a Super Bowl first?

!!!!!!! It's St. PATRICKS DAY !!!!!!! HAVE A LUCKY DAY !!!!!!!

[IMG]http://www.packersproshop.com/pi/2004197238_37_13_150.jpg

http://images.packersproshop.com/pi/0307510045_88_13_350.jpg

GO PACKERS ! GO PACK GO !!

red
03-17-2014, 12:31 PM

which brings in the old question i mentioned awhile back

would it be better for the team to re-sign jones for 2 or 3 million a year , then give a big deal to either nelson or cobb and trade the other one, instead of letting jones walk and giving huge deals to both nelson and cobb?

Guiness
03-17-2014, 12:43 PM

would it be better for the team to re-sign jones for 2 or 3 million a year , then give a big deal to either nelson or cobb and trade the other one, instead of letting jones walk and giving huge deals to both nelson and cobb?

If both Cobb and Nelson are going to pull down in the $8M range, maybe. I think Nelson is there or close, not so sure Cobb is, but this coming year could change that. Arizona did it for a couple of years, having Fitz and Boldin both making big $$$ at the same time, but I can't think of any other examples. Sometimes teams will have two #1s because one of them is on his rookie contract - like the Pack with Driver and Jennings for a couple of years - but I think it's pretty hard to pay both of them.

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 12:43 PM

those options don't add up, salary-cap wise. Still, try to keep Nelson, then Cobb (if he wants ridiculous money, forget it), then draft.

The receiver situation is why I think there is a very good chance Thompson goes receiver #1 or #2 or both.

red
03-17-2014, 12:46 PM
those options don't add up, salary-cap wise. Still, try to keep Nelson, then Cobb (if he wants ridiculous money, forget it), then draft.

The receiver situation is why I think there is a very good chance Thompson goes receiver #1 or #2 or both.

so you're saying, let jones walk AND maybe cobb too?

in that case i still don't know if you go WR at #1, TT is so good at finding receiver talent in the second round on down

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 01:03 PM
so you're saying, let jones walk AND maybe cobb too?

in that case i still don't know if you go WR at #1, TT is so good at finding receiver talent in the second round on down

why not? Jones is replaceable; Boykin may already be that guy. Or one of the seventh rounders from last year. Now you have to worry about how much Nelson and Cobb want combined. You just may not have that kind of wiggle room. So you draft a rookie or two that can replace one of them. Life moves on.

red
03-17-2014, 01:11 PM
kinda becomes a case of "who makes who"

does a QB with a-rods talents really need expensive wr's, or can he make average wr's look great

or, if a-rod is surrounded by average targets, would he look not so good?

its a valid idea, but i'd be scared about "dipping", like we did back when we thought favre could make anyone look good, and bill schroeder was our top target.

imho, we can't afford for our offense to "dip" at all

smuggler
03-17-2014, 03:39 PM
One of the 7th rounders from last season is on the Browns right now. (Charles Johnson)

Dorsey is still with us, but there are a ton of good WRs in the draft, and if we pick one before the 5th round, there's a reasonable chance Dorsey won't make the team next year.

gbgary
03-17-2014, 03:52 PM
the longer he goes unsigned the better his chance to being resigned by us...unless tt really HAS soured on him for whatever reason.

red
03-17-2014, 04:01 PM
just feel bad for the guy, he's had to resort to begging for teams to talk to him, and they still won't

he's a better player then that

denverYooper
03-17-2014, 04:08 PM
He won't feel so bad when he gets another ring with GB.

gbgary
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
maybe it's that SB drop. EVERYBODY saw that. maybe that's what they remember.

Brohm
03-17-2014, 04:54 PM
Now he's a Raider.

digitaldean
03-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Now he's a Raider.

Where a lot of player's careers go to die. So who's going to throw to him, Vick, Pryor, Schaub?? Good luck, James. Wish the best for you. Unfortunately, you might find the Black Hole might actually be the place your career is getting sucked into.

At least he's got his payday, nothing more.

KYPack
03-17-2014, 05:10 PM
maybe it's that SB drop. EVERYBODY saw that. maybe that's what they remember.

Just was about to post the same thing.

Bad to have drops in games where you have most of the league's GM's watching the ball game.

Now he's a Jokeland Fader, eh?

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 05:21 PM
Just was about to post the same thing.

Bad to have drops in games where you have most of the league's GM's watching the ball game.

Now he's a Jokeland Fader, eh?

Jordy had a drop too. Jones also caught a pass or two. Red is half right. Rodgers makes receivers better but that doesn't mean the Packers won't draft a talented receiver or two this year anyway.

red
03-17-2014, 05:22 PM
glad he at least found a team

best of luck james, you were a good packer

Rutnstrut
03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I really think old Teddy let the wrong Jones go.

mraynrand
03-17-2014, 05:24 PM
There go my hopes for a breakout year from Rod Streater

gbgary
03-17-2014, 06:43 PM
glad he at least found a team

best of luck james, you were a good packer

oak...now they just need a qb to throw it to him.

woodbuck27
03-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Where a lot of player's careers go to die. So who's going to throw to him, Vick, Pryor, Schaub?? Good luck, James. Wish the best for you. Unfortunately, you might find the Black Hole might actually be the place your career is getting sucked into.

At least he's got his payday, nothing more.

I was hoping if he left us it would be to a better team.

I'm surprized that his wish list and Carolina didn't materialize.

It looks lie that Panthers will be keying on WR in the draft.

King Friday
03-17-2014, 08:54 PM
James Jones, it was nice knowing you. You will become INVISIBLE in Oakland.

This is a loss for Green Bay. Not a major loss, but a loss nonetheless. James become a guy who could be counted on for big plays in our offense in the last 2 years. Still, I'd much rather lose Jones and have the ability to keep Cobb going forward.

Patler
03-17-2014, 09:02 PM
I was hoping if he left us it would be to a better team.

Me too. I wanted to see him go somewhere that had a good QB, a good offense. James Jones was a good Packer.

denverYooper
03-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Time to pour out a little liquor for the dead homies.

Patler
03-18-2014, 09:28 AM
From the GBPG:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140317/PKR0101/140317044/WR-Jones-signs-Raiders

Jones today signed a three-year contract worth $11 million with the Oakland Raiders, according to a report by ESPN. The Raiders’ general manager, Reggie McKenzie, is a former Packers executive who knows Jones well. Jones also grew up in San Jose, Calif., and played in college at San Jose State, so he’ll be playing again in Northern California.

The Packers wanted to re-sign Jones and keep together the three receiver set with Jordy Nelson and Randall Cobb that made up their most used offensive personnel package from last year. But Jones’ departure confirms that the Packers have placed a higher priority on extending the contracts of Nelson and Cobb this offseason. Both are in the final season of their deals.

If it really is 3 for $11M, I would have given that to him, I think. His last contract was 3/$9M.

Brandon494
03-18-2014, 10:04 AM
I would not have been mad if they signed him to that contract but I think it was the right move letting him walk especially with this deep WR draft class.

Patler
03-18-2014, 10:16 AM
I would not have been mad if they signed him to that contract but I think it was the right move letting him walk especially with this deep WR draft class.

Ya, I sure hope they get a good one, because, with no disrespect to Boykin, the WR cupboard is getting a little bare. Boykin looks solid, but not especially dynamic, and there is no guarantee that they will be able to keep Nelson and Cobb next year. I have no idea what to expect or hope for from the others on the roster.

Brandon494
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I'd bet my left nut Nelson and Cobb aren't going anywhere next season. I think TT has spoiled fans with the talent he has drafted at WR here. We are worrying about who our #4 WR will be and the Panthers don't even have a WR with a career catch on their roster. Nelson, Cobb, Boykin is a solid 3, we aren't one of the top WR corps in the league anymore but thats what happens when you have a 100 million man playing QB. We have Myles White, Ben Harper, and Kevin Dorsey as the other WRs on the roster. Add a rookie or two and I think we can find two capable WRs to fill the #4 and #5 WR position.

Patler
03-18-2014, 10:41 AM
I'd bet my left nut Nelson and Cobb aren't going anywhere next season. I think TT has spoiled fans with the talent he has drafted at WR here. We are worrying about who our #4 WR will be and the Panthers don't even have a WR with a career catch on their roster. Nelson, Cobb, Boykin is a solid 3, we aren't one of the top WR corps in the league anymore but thats what happens when you have a 100 million man playing QB. We have Myles White, Ben Harper, and Kevin Dorsey as the other WRs on the roster. Add a rookie or two and I think we can find two capable WRs to fill the #4 and #5 WR position.

Nothing wrong with being spoiled when the Packers use 3and even more WRs as they do.

I think it is unlikely Nelson or Cobb will leave, but you never know for sure what will happen if the market goes crazy. If there is a significant cap increase again for 2015, you could very well see a few teams go crazy for some big names, and either Nelson or Cobb could fall into that category. Hopefully, the Packers can get something done with both before they enter FA.

I think I will always be a little concerned for Cobb's durability, until he proves differently.

red
03-18-2014, 12:46 PM
i've seen that its actually a 3 year 11.3 million, not that it matters much. for almost 4 million a year, we could have kept him, but with the WR factory that we are and with all the talent in this years draft in the middle to late rounds, it was the right move imo to let him walk

just too bad, cause i liked him

Rutnstrut
03-18-2014, 02:34 PM
IF he would have stayed in GB for that kind of money, letting him walk was a mistake imo. I think replacing Jones and EDS will be tougher than many realize. But I like the solid, hard working, no nonsense type players. While others seem to think every player has to be a pro bowler.

mraynrand
03-18-2014, 04:18 PM
While others seem to think every player has to be a pro bowler.

couldn't hurt

Patler
03-19-2014, 04:43 AM
GBPG has Jones' contract with Oakland as almost identical to his last one in GB:

Jones’ three-year contract with the Oakland Raiders signed Monday averages $3.33 million and includes $3.8 million in first-year pay, according to a source with access to NFL salary information. The deal he just completed with the Packers also was for three years, averaged $3.2 million a season and paid $3.75 million in the first year.

Jones’ contract with the Raiders is worth $10 million over the three seasons and includes a guaranteed roster bonus this year of $2 million plus a guaranteed base salary this season of $1.65 million, for $3.65 million in guaranteed pay.

With his $150,000 workout bonus, he will make $3.8 million in the first year.

In 2015 and ’16, Jones will make $3.1 million ($2.95 million base salary and a $150,000 workout bonus).

He also has incentives of up to $433,333 each season.

The Packers obviously decided Jones was no longer in their plans if the best they could offer was less than his last contract.

woodbuck27
03-19-2014, 06:01 AM
From the GBPG:

http://www.packersnews.com/article/20140317/PKR0101/140317044/WR-Jones-signs-Raiders

If it really is 3 for $11M, I would have given that to him, I think. His last contract was 3/$9M.

I think what might have bothered TT was going three years?

TT likes young players.

denverYooper
03-19-2014, 08:40 AM

TT likes young players.

TT needs to think about bringing in a WR who can also function as a primary kick returner. I have a feeling they want to bring in a guy who can add value to the return game.

Patler
03-19-2014, 09:24 AM

TT likes young players.

Could be the reason, they agreed to two-year contracts with Quarless and Neal, maybe that's what they wanted with Jones, too.

Another guy I think will be interesting to follow in TC is Chris Harper. He was a 4th round pick by Seattle, and SF stole him from their PS when SF had a shortage of receivers. SF released him when others got healthy and GB claimed him on waivers. Clearly a bubble guy for the rosters of Seattle and SF last year, but a year of seasoning could make a lot of difference.

Fritz
03-19-2014, 09:27 AM
Could be the reason, they agreed to two-year contracts with Quarless and Neal, maybe that's what they wanted with Jones, too.

Another guy I think will be interesting to follow in TC is Chris Harper. He was a 4th round pick by Seattle, and SF stole him from their PS when SF had a shortage of receivers. SF released him when others got healthy and GB claimed him on waivers. Clearly a bubble guy for the rosters of Seattle and SF last year, but a year of seasoning could make a lot of difference.

These are the sorts of issues that we know little about that probably have some influence on the decision-making in terms of what to offer for a guy like James Jones. Maybe the team really likes this guy, or likes Dorsey, last year's seventh round pick, and that might factor in to their offer.

Any way you cut it, I liked James Jones very much. A consummate professional, and I wish him all the best in Oakland. I will be rooting for him.

3irty1
03-19-2014, 09:35 AM
I wish JJ the best but I don't expect it in Oakland. The way I see it the Packers suddenly find themselves with a consistent running game this season and the old "move the chains" type WR's such as Jones are needed less. I think we'll look for a replacement who can be a deep threat. With all the play action we'll have available this season, a rookie WR who can run could do some damage.