PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Free Agency Rumors and or Speculation

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

pbmax
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4h
Presumed interest in Jairus Byrd from Browns hasn't materialized yet http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qEM

pbmax
03-09-2014, 05:20 PM
Chris Wesseling
‏@ChrisWesseling
Best team-player fit among free agent defensive linemen? I'm going to send Lamarr Houston to Green Bay as Raji's replacement.

red
03-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Chris Wesseling
‏@ChrisWesseling
Best team-player fit among free agent defensive linemen? I'm going to send Lamarr Houston to Green Bay as Raji's replacement.

thats all well and good if we sign him, but it still doesn't fix our biggest hole on defense SAFETY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

run pMc
03-09-2014, 05:45 PM
MIN to ink Everson Griffin (who I think would make a good 3-4 OLB) for 5yr/42.5M. Could be a good piece in Zimmer's D.

Edit: I see pbmax beat me to it.

Guiness
03-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Reports coming out of Tennessee that if CJ does not take a pay cut (he's already said he won't) that he'll be traded or cut. lol at the idea of a trade - who's buying an $8m middle of the road RB?

red
03-09-2014, 07:34 PM
LT musical chairs going on. all should be in the 7-8 million a year range

brenden albert to the fins
rodger saffold to the raiders
Jared Veldheer to the cards

and for those that have never seen veldeer before

he's the small guy on the left

http://minustwentytwo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jared-veldheer-raiders.jpg

pbmax
03-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 1h
MT @ebenezersamuel: Giants not alone in Quarless hunt. Six other teams involved, and Packers working to keep him. Rising star. L.I. product.

I am not buying this in any shape or form.

Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 1h
Am told TE @Quarless81 has been in touch with more than a half dozen teams, including the #Packers. Don't know where he'll land yet.

Nope. Still not.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 12:22 AM
If anyone has a subscription to Packer Report, would love to know what he is adding to this story:

Packer Report ‏@PackerReport 1h
Source Confirms #Packers Interest in Jones (with context on what signing would mean) http://gnb.scout.com/2/1382547.html#.Ux05qXImH-0.twitter …

pbmax
03-10-2014, 12:24 AM
Dammit how did the Packers let the Bear hire competents?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1h
Report: Bears expect to sign DE Michael Bennett http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qGl

pbmax
03-10-2014, 12:28 AM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 4h
No surprise here, but #Packers are not one of the teams to show interest in S Jarius Byrd so far.

run pMc
03-10-2014, 07:39 AM
From what I've heard half the league has interest in Arthur Jones, including the Packers. My guess is the price will get too high for TT, and I don't see them making a big FA splash on DL unless Raji doesn't sign.
Sounds like they might not want Pickett or Wilson back, and Jolly might not be back with his age and injury. They'll do something with DL, but paying 8M/yr for a gap eater is a lot.

Micheal Bennett will help the Bears for sure. IIRC they're moving McClellan to OLB. If they sink that much into the DL, will they have anything left for Melton?

woodbuck27
03-10-2014, 08:06 AM
From what I've heard half the league has interest in Arthur Jones, including the Packers. My guess is the price will get too high for TT, and I don't see them making a big FA splash on DL unless Raji doesn't sign.
Sounds like they might not want Pickett or Wilson back, and Jolly might not be back with his age and injury. They'll do something with DL, but paying 8M/yr for a gap eater is a lot.

Micheal Bennett will help the Bears for sure. IIRC they're moving McClellan to OLB. If they sink that much into the DL, will they have anything left for Melton?

RE: DE Arthur Jones (6' - 3 " and 315 lbs) .... Baltimore Ravens UFA.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/1115105/arthur-jones

RE: DE Arthur Jones and LaMarr Houston (Oakland Raiders UFA),

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332259/article/report-packers-eye-lamarr-houston-arthur-jones

pbmax
03-10-2014, 09:18 AM
We are still at the point were Agents are the sources for these items, so those numbers may not reflect actual interest levels. I do find it interesting that Silverstein was able to confirm one of them, because he has less incentive to do the agents work for them than the National guys do. Spoon, whatever faults he has, is judged more on how often he is right by Packer fans, not the number of Twitter followers he has coming to ESPN's website.

woodbuck27
03-10-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24475025/cb-antonio-cromartie-tweets-his-goodbyes-to-the-jets

CB Antonio Cromartie tweets his goodbyes to the Jets

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

March 9, 2014 3:04 pm ET

" Cromartie, who will turn 30 next month, has played for the Jets for the past four seasons, and though he performed well in 2012 -- especially after Darrelle Revis was lost for most of the season -- he struggled in 2013 (according to Pro Football Focus' measurements, he was the 103rd-ranked cornerback out of 110)."

PACKERS !

pittstang5
03-10-2014, 10:21 AM

Bears should just release McClellan so TT can sign him and he can start opposite Mathews as an OLB. I still think McClellan belongs in a 3-4 def.

Oh wait, wasn't McClellan the guy that tackled Rogers when his shoulder got hurt.

Smidgeon
03-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Also, remember "the Packers are showing interest in..." really just means that TT called the agent and said, "Hey, if you don't have a deal after the first week of free agency, we'd love to talk...".

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 10:39 AM
LT musical chairs going on. all should be in the 7-8 million a year range

brenden albert to the fins
rodger saffold to the raiders
Jared Veldheer to the cards

and for those that have never seen veldeer before

he's the small guy on the left

http://minustwentytwo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/jared-veldheer-raiders.jpg

Holy Hannah! Paint that guy green and he could star in a Marvel comic book sequel.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 10:40 AM
Bears should just release McClellan so TT can sign him and he can start opposite Mathews as an OLB. I still think McClellan belongs in a 3-4 def.

Oh wait, wasn't McClellan the guy that tackled Rogers when his shoulder got hurt.

Yes, and that was one of two plays he's made his entire career. Too bad Chicago released him; it's another sign the Bears know what they're doing.

QBME
03-10-2014, 10:44 AM
Yes, and that was one of two plays he's made his entire career. Too bad Chicago released him; it's another sign the Bears know what they're doing.

Bears released whom?

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Bears released whom?

Oh, I see, it says "Should just release" - Well, there's still hope. If Chicago keeps McClellan, that's good news for us. He's awful.

QBME
03-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Oh, I see, it says "Should just release" - Well, there's still hope. If Chicago keeps McClellan, that's good news for us. He's awful.

In Chicago they facetiously call him "Big Play Shea", as the hit on Rodgers is the only big play to - date. They're going to try and convert him to a "hybrid linebacker", but you're right, he has been a bust so far.

3irty1
03-10-2014, 11:36 AM
Am I missing the thread that must exist by now discussing Lamarr Houston and/or Arthur Jones and the reported interest they're drawing from Ted?

pbmax
03-10-2014, 11:40 AM
Am I missing the thread that must exist by now discussing Lamarr Houston and/or Arthur Jones and the reported interest they're drawing from Ted?

Nope, its all in here and the consensus (I think) is that its all agent baloney. Do you think there is something to it?

3irty1
03-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Well I don't think you can just lose 4 DL plus whatever Neal is and expect it to work out. Someone's getting signed so why not either of them?

Houston would be a monster splash. That guy is really good and should be pretty expensive but has a chance to play up to a big contract IMO. Jones I think is this years Canty. Lots of teams will get involved and in the end you'll get a average starter for the cost of a star.

pittstang5
03-10-2014, 12:03 PM
Not that I think TT is going to sign Jones or Houston, but what's the consensus - Who's better? Cost aside, who do we want? I ask, cause I don't know.

call_me_ishmael
03-10-2014, 12:49 PM
Well I don't think you can just lose 4 DL plus whatever Neal is and expect it to work out. Someone's getting signed so why not either of them?

Houston would be a monster splash. That guy is really good and should be pretty expensive but has a chance to play up to a big contract IMO. Jones I think is this years Canty. Lots of teams will get involved and in the end you'll get a average starter for the cost of a star.

This. Houston looks like he is just coming into his own. Wonder why Reg McKen isn't doing everything he can to keep him.

I see Lamar Woodley was cut. I wouldn't mind seeing him. He's getting older now, but last I checked he is still a solid player.

Patler
03-10-2014, 01:24 PM
I see Lamar Woodley was cut. I wouldn't mind seeing him. He's getting older now, but last I checked he is still a solid player.

Woodley has missed a lot of games each of the last three years. We have enough players like that.

I know anyone can get hurt at any time, but I would avoid any FA with a continuous history of missing more than just a game here or there. The Packers have to turn the injury thing around, and I'm not sure they can do that adding a guy like Woodley, even if he is still productive for the 10 or 12 games he might play.

3irty1
03-10-2014, 01:41 PM
We should probably sign Arthur Jones to play LDE then draft Daquan Jones to play NT next to Datone Jones. It'd be nice to keep up with the Joneses on defense.

Striker
03-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Dammit how did the Packers let the Bear hire competents?

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 1h
Report: Bears expect to sign DE Michael Bennett http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qGl

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 35m
DE Michael Bennett definitely is leaning toward staying with the Seahawks, per league source. Decision could come today.

Striker
03-10-2014, 02:41 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4m
DE Michael Bennett strikes deal with Seahawks. Four years. Terms coming.

3irty1
03-10-2014, 03:00 PM
Santonio Holmes is looking for work. I've always been a fan and after a couple of shit seasons in NY he might be one of those Charles Woodson types of guys you can buy low with. He turned 30 a week ago.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Bennett was roughly a 4 year $32 million deal by the last reported offer from Seattle. At the time, it was thought Bears were offering more.

EDIT: via PFT: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/10/bennett-turned-down-more-money-from-two-other-teams/

Bennett will make $28.5 million over four years. He gets $10 million in 2014, $16 million through the first two years, and $21 million over three.

Of the total, $16 million is guaranteed. It’s unclear how much is fully guaranteed beyond the first year.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Brad Biggs ‏@BradBiggs 1h
Was told last night current price for Jairus Byrd was $8 mil, TJ Ward $7 mil and Donte Whitner $6 mil per season. No idea where it is today.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 3h
Agent for Raiders FA DL Lamarr Houston said Packers have not called about his client

For any other team, I would say this closes the book. But since its the never a FA Packers, I think this could be confirmation he is going to GB.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:42 PM
roFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 3h
Report: Bears, Browns, Jets suitors for Donte Whitner, whom San Francisco wants to retain http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qHR

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:44 PM
Begin foaming at mouth, NOW!

Ryan O'Halloran ‏@ryanohalloran 2h
Bryant said he was going to green bay and then kansas city and the Redskins were interested before signing with #Jaguars.

Bob McGinn ‏@BobMcGinn 1h
Massive DE Red Bryant said today that he was to visit #Packers (Sun) & KC (Mon) before he decided Fri to go with Jax (4 yrs, $17M), Bradley.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 03:50 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1h
One team showing very real interest in #Ravens DE Arthur Jones is the #Colts. The interest is mutual. Jones has gotten a lot of play so far.

Jason LaConfora, in the one place I can say mentions it specifically, say the Packers like Jones and doesn't even mention Houston. I wonder if Houston rumors are a McKenzie/Thompson link, more than a matchup a player and suitor. Giants also mentioned for Jones.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24476543/nfl-free-agency-unless-youre-a-high-end-tackle-or-db-markets-slim

pbmax
03-10-2014, 04:01 PM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 52m
No medical clearance yet for pending free agent Jermichael Finley, who nonetheless figures to take multiple visits (and physicals) this week

Guiness
03-10-2014, 04:26 PM
Pete Dougherty ‏@PeteDougherty 3h
Agent for Raiders FA DL Lamarr Houston said Packers have not called about his client

For any other team, I would say this closes the book. But since its the never a FA Packers, I think this could be confirmation he is going to GB.

I'll be confused if Houston is in play, but it sure looks that way. Good young player that hasn't missed a start in 4 years, Raiders have a ton of cap room. Why isn't he signed?

If this was a few years ago, I'd say he just wanted out of Oakland and told his agent not to answer the phone when they called, but they shouldn't be as dysfunctional with Al gone and Reggie running the show.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 05:31 PM
^^^ maybe Oakland is looking for someone else to set the number? Crazy idea, but maybe they think others will offer Houston less than he thinks Raiders should give him. Then they come back and offer a little more and they actually get a better deal.

mraynrand
03-10-2014, 05:33 PM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 52m
No medical clearance yet for pending free agent Jermichael Finley, who nonetheless figures to take multiple visits (and physicals) this week

For the low, low price of $500,000, I can set him up with an ortho doc who will clear him tomorrow!

pbmax
03-10-2014, 05:35 PM
RT @rvacchianonydn: I've heard free-agent C Evan Dietrich-Smith could sign quickly tomorrow. Giants are the favorites, from what I can tell.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Louis Delmas going to the Dolphinss.

Bears release Michael Bush.

David Baas released by Giants, who are rumored to be interested in EDS.

Micael Bennett turned down 2 teams who offered more money than the Seahawks, only the Bears were known to have made an offer.

smuggler
03-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Houston isn't signed because he wants to get to free agency and get the most money he can and/or go to a team that isn't horrible.

pbmax
03-10-2014, 06:47 PM
Speculated contract for Houston from CBS Sports: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24476911/agents-take-calculating-2014-nfl-free-agent-target-prices

Defensive end Lamarr Houston
Contract package: Five years, $45 million
Guaranteed money: $22.5 million
First three years: $28.5 million

Bonus Speculation:

Tight end Jermichael Finley
Contract package: One year, $5 Million (fully guaranteed)

3irty1
03-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Speculated contract for Houston from CBS Sports: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24476911/agents-take-calculating-2014-nfl-free-agent-target-prices

Bonus Speculation:

If that first 28 has 12ish in the 3rd year I'd say that seems about right.

woodbuck27
03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-steelers-cut-lb-200149423--nfl.html

AP Source: Steelers to cut LB Woodley

By WILL GRAVES (AP Sports Writer) ... 2 hours ago

AP - Sports

mission
03-10-2014, 07:36 PM
Was told last night current price for Jairus Byrd was $8 mil, TJ Ward $7 mil and Donte Whitner $6 mil per season. No idea where it is today.

If that's true, we should be able to get one of those guys if the feeling is mutual. I was expecting higher numbers.

woodbuck27
03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Louis Delmas going to the Dolphinss.

Bears release Michael Bush.

David Baas released by Giants, who are rumored to be interested in EDS.

Micael Bennett turned down 2 teams who offered more money than the Seahawks, only the Bears were known to have made an offer.

RE: " David Baas released by Giants, who are rumored to be interested in EDS. " Fr. pbmax post

Surely Aaron Rodgers has informed management he'd like a center he's developed some rapport with..ie Evan Dietrich - Smith

what will be the cost though to retain E D-S with others in the bidding for his services?

red
03-10-2014, 07:53 PM

then for me its, yes, yes, and yes

to fix our biggest need on D with a pro bowler for between 6 an 8 million a year....

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red
03-10-2014, 07:54 PM
RT @rvacchianonydn: I've heard free-agent C Evan Dietrich-Smith could sign quickly tomorrow. Giants are the favorites, from what I can tell.

giants are going to be having some buyers remorse early in training camp

red
03-10-2014, 08:05 PM

no thank you then, thats WAY WAY to much money for a 3-4 lineman

another site has houston listed as the biggest bargain in free agency right there with james jones. for 9 million, thats no bargain

the only other FA i would want to pay more then 6 million a year at this point would be a safety

Fritz
03-10-2014, 09:13 PM
no thank you then, thats WAY WAY to much money for a 3-4 lineman

another site has houston listed as the biggest bargain in free agency right there with james jones. for 9 million, thats no bargain

the only other FA i would want to pay more then 6 million a year at this point would be a safety

Is this what Houston wants, or did he sign with someone?

I say let the market play out now...see what Quarless, Neal, EDS are looking at. Decide what they're worth, and if you get outbid, then wave goodbye. If they fall into what you think is their worth, then re-sign them. Same with James Jones, though I suspect he'll get a bigger contract than what the Pack can afford.

Reserve enough to re-sign Nelson, save enough to make a run at Cobb, set aside your rookie draft pool and "emergency" money, and if you've got any left, after a week of FA see if anyone's left whom you think can help this team.

Let Raji dangle...and dangle...and dangle. If he doesn't get an offer elsewhere, make him come crawling back with a ball gag in his mouth.

BZnDallas
03-10-2014, 09:42 PM

I say let the market play out now...see what Quarless, Neal, EDS are looking at. Decide what they're worth, and if you get outbid, then wave goodbye. If they fall into what you think is their worth, then re-sign them. Same with James Jones, though I suspect he'll get a bigger contract than what the Pack can afford.

Reserve enough to re-sign Nelson, save enough to make a run at Cobb, set aside your rookie draft pool and "emergency" money, and if you've got any left, after a week of FA see if anyone's left whom you think can help this team.

Let Raji dangle...and dangle...and dangle. If he doesn't get an offer elsewhere, make him come crawling back with a ball gag in his mouth.

Raji with an apple in his mouth on a Hawaiian silver plater, with hula dancers!

red
03-10-2014, 09:56 PM

it was speculation by the site PB linked, another site aid he would be the biggest bargain in free agency

agree on raji and the others

if the others are getting offers close to what TT is willing to pay, then resign then, if they're getting 2 or 3 million more, then let them go

let raji come crawling if he comes back

red
03-10-2014, 10:16 PM
looks like the bears are going into desperation mode after missing out on bennett and are prepared to throw all their money at lamaar houston

houston is a 4-3 end coming off his "breakout year" where he totaled a massive 6 sacks for the season

if the bears want to blow their wad on him to be a pass rushing 4-3 end and peppers replacement, then i say.....

sweet

pbmax
03-10-2014, 11:12 PM
I can't imagine Houston will be the biggest bargain in FA in any conventional sense of the word. There has to be a reason the Raiders, with that kind of cap room, haven't signed him. He has to have interest and the agent wants to see the numbers on paper.

smuggler
03-11-2014, 12:01 AM
I sort of have the feeling that these Raiders free agents realize just how much cash the team has to spend and they want to go out and get the largest offers to take bake to Mom and Dad for matching.

As for how good the guy is, I know he had a ton of pressures. It seems unlikely that he'd be so effective at pressuring the QB in 2014 without having his sack total rise (toward the mean)

Guiness
03-11-2014, 12:22 AM
I sort of have the feeling that these Raiders free agents realize just how much cash the team has to spend and they want to go out and get the largest offers to take bake to Mom and Dad for matching.

As for how good the guy is, I know he had a ton of pressures. It seems unlikely that he'd be so effective at pressuring the QB in 2014 without having his sack total rise (toward the mean)

I'm wondering that as well about the Raiders - so much cap room, their FAs are probably all looking for a little more. They have a chance to get competitive, they just have to play a bit of moneyball.

Of course, what's the chance of that with this guy owning them
http://www.lobshots.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/mark_davis_raiders_dumb_and_dumber.jpg

Bossman641
03-11-2014, 06:42 AM
I just think the Raiders are so bad that their players aren't willing to re-sign with them unless there is a hometown premium.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Anyone else see this?

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1382902.html

Jared Allen - I don't think so.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 07:10 AM
then for me its, yes, yes, and yes

to fix our biggest need on D with a pro bowler for between 6 an 8 million a year....

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes if that's what the market will bear for those three safetys.

What's left now is to get one of them to want to be a Green Bay Packer.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 07:12 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24477316/nfl-rumors-bucs-to-cut-darrelle-revis-if-no-trading-partner-found

NFL Rumors: Bucs to cut Darrelle Revis if no trading partner found

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

March 10, 2014 11:04 pm ET

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 07:28 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24477316/nfl-rumors-bucs-to-cut-darrelle-revis-if-no-trading-partner-found

NFL Rumors: Bucs to cut Darrelle Revis if no trading partner found

By John Breech | CBSSports.com

March 10, 2014 11:04 pm ET

OK more on this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/buccaneers/2014/03/10/darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers/6278951/

Bucs' plan for Darrelle Revis: Trade, restructure or cut

Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports 11:46 p.m. EDT March 10, 2014

and:

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/10/darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Buccaneers prepared to part with Revis

Dumping Revis would be stunning end in Tampa Bay

GO PACKERS !

red
03-11-2014, 07:58 AM

hmmm, sounds a little like us

Guiness
03-11-2014, 08:24 AM
OK more on this:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/buccaneers/2014/03/10/darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers/6278951/

Bucs' plan for Darrelle Revis: Trade, restructure or cut

Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY Sports 11:46 p.m. EDT March 10, 2014

and:

http://q.usatoday.com/2014/03/10/darrelle-revis-tampa-bay-buccaneers/

Buccaneers prepared to part with Revis

Dumping Revis would be stunning end in Tampa Bay

GO PACKERS !

I don't get this at all. They gambled on him, giving up a first and fourth in hopes that he's come all the way back from his ACL tear. He did, the fourth turns into a 3rd and they are considering just dumping him now? Seems like they're throwing away a pretty valuable resource there. Maybe the market considers $16m just too high for a CB?

Patler
03-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I don't get this at all. They gambled on him, giving up a first and fourth in hopes that he's come all the way back from his ACL tear. He did, the fourth turns into a 3rd and they are considering just dumping him now? Seems like they're throwing away a pretty valuable resource there. Maybe the market considers $16m just too high for a CB?

New GM.
New head coach.
New defensive philosophy perhaps not as well suited to Revis.
$0 dead money if Revis is traded or released.
With Revis' salary you could sign a couple pertty good FAs, maybe more.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Moved from one thread into the correct one.

Tony Pauline ‏@TonyPauline 2h
I'm told wide out James Jones receiving heavy interest from the Detroit Lions & New York Jets...Green Bay Packers may still be in the mix..

Silverstein has gone with this twice now so he is not just throwing this out there. Still not sure if its a source other than Ian Rapoport. You would think so, given there is no citation given.

Silverstein has gone with this twice now so he is not just throwing this out there. Still not sure if its a source other than Ian Rapoport. You would think so, given there is no citation given.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 08:44 AM
New GM.
New head coach.
New defensive philosophy perhaps not as well suited to Revis.
$0 dead money if Revis is traded or released.
With Revis' salary you could sign a couple pertty good FAs, maybe more.

Yes. In the Lovie Tampa 2, you generally spend modest money on your CBs.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 08:47 AM
From Jeff Darlington, the list the NFL sent out about Salary Cap space yesterday.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BicyUDwCEAEAELm.png:large

pbmax
03-11-2014, 08:50 AM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 19m
Colts look like favorites to land Arthur Jones http://wp.me/p14QSB-9qMN

Guiness
03-11-2014, 09:08 AM
Yes. In the Lovie Tampa 2, you generally spend modest money on your CBs.

Agreed, but like I said, seems like a heck of a resource to throw away. If that contract isn't overspending, they should at least be able to recover that first round pick they gave up because there would be more than one team interested, meaning they can't be guaranteed to get him in FA. This tends to make me think teams are looking at that and saying "nope, too much".

red
03-11-2014, 09:10 AM
if were not players in the free agent frenzy today for a safety, watch for the eagle, bears, browns, lions, titans, steelers, cowboys and rams do in the next couple of days

these are the teams drafting ahead of us with safety needs. obviously, if they sign a free agent safety, then they won't have to draft one high

red
03-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Agreed, but like I said, seems like a heck of a resource to throw away. If that contract isn't overspending, they should at least be able to recover that first round pick they gave up because there would be more than one team interested, meaning they can't be guaranteed to get him in FA. This tends to make me think teams are looking at that and saying "nope, too much".

whos gonna trade for a guy due to make 16 million this year, when every report out there says if he's not traded by tomorrow he'll be flat out released?

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 09:29 AM

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75975/breaking-down-darrelle-revis-contract

Breaking down Darrelle Revis' contract

April, 24, 2013 4/24/13

10:22 AM ET ... By: Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

$16 Million$ is a lot of money to pay a CB.

We're surprized at the amount of money the Packers paid to retain Sam Shields (a 4 yr. $39 Million$ contract).

Sam Shields is getting second best CB money to Darrelle Revis's top QB money ($16 . The spread between the Shields contract and Revis's is huge.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 09:43 AM
if were not players in the free agent frenzy today for a safety, watch for the eagle, bears, browns, lions, titans, steelers, cowboys and rams do in the next couple of days

these are the teams drafting ahead of us with safety needs. obviously, if they sign a free agent safety, then they won't have to draft one high

Scuttlebutt around here is that the Eagles might be players for Ward or Byrd. Byrd to reunite with college coach? Makes sense.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75975/breaking-down-darrelle-revis-contract

We're surprized at the amount of money the Packers paid to retain Sam Shields (a 4 yr. $39 Million$ contract).

Sam Shields is getting second best CB money to Darrelle Revis's top QB money ($16 . The spread between the Shields contract and Revis's is huge.

Not sure what numbers you re looking at Woodbuck, but Shields is not the second highest paid CB even if you compare to last year. The Franchise Tag for CBs is around $12 mil per year and that covers the average of the top 5 or 10, don't remember, contracts in the League from the previous year.

Shields is getting $9.75 mil per year starting this year.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 09:45 AM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 17m
When the Michael Johnson signing with the Bucs becomes official, I hear the deal will average $8.5M/year with around $24M guaranteed

red
03-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Not sure what numbers you re looking at Woodbuck, but Shields is not the second highest paid CB even if you compare to last year. The Franchise Tag for CBs is around $12 mil per year and that covers the average of the top 5 or 10, don't remember, contracts in the League from the previous year.

average salary per season

with that 9.75 per year, he is tied for 3rd highest per year money. number 1 is revis, who could get cut any minute now

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/cornerback/limit-25/

so yes, technically sam could be tied for second highest paid cb in the nfl, after revis gets cut and before the other free agent cb sign, and if those other cb's get more money

we made shields the 3rd highest paid cb in the NFL, soon to be second

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 10:59 AM

It was here that I read that pbmax:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8109/shields-only-part-of-defensive-fixes-needed

" Shields did not come cheap. Over the first three years of the contract, he is expected to make $30 million (including $15 million this season). Among cornerbacks currently under contract for 2014, Shields would be the second-highest paid at his position behind only Darrelle Revis ($16 million) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 11:03 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5213/alex-mack

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Ravens could "make a play" for free agent Center Alex Mack

Note:

Alex Mack was slapped with the seldom used transition tag by the Cleveland Browns.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332797/article/alex-macks-agent-browns-cant-match-all-offers

Alex Mack's agent: Browns can't match all offers

By: Kevin Patra ... Around the League writer

March 11, 2014 at 08:39 AM - Updated: March 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 11:38 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000332845/article/owen-daniels-reportedly-released-by-houston-texans

TE Owen Daniels reportedly released by Houston Texans

By: Gregg Rosenthal ... Around The League Editor

Published: March 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM ... Updated: March 11, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Guiness
03-11-2014, 12:04 PM
It was here that I read that pbmax:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/8109/shields-only-part-of-defensive-fixes-needed

" Shields did not come cheap. Over the first three years of the contract, he is expected to make $30 million (including $15 million this season). Among cornerbacks currently under contract for 2014, Shields would be the second-highest paid at his position behind only Darrelle Revis ($16 million) of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers."

More on this, now the Browns are reputed to be talking to Tampa looking to acquire him! It's always been said that Revis just loves his money, this could be his only chance at collecting the $16m, so if this deal goes through I guess we'll know for sure.

The Browns are also reported to be looking at Schaub. Can you imagine Revis and Haden in practice against him? After the 10th consecutive INT, you'd hear "Come on guys, stop it already, the receivers need to practice catching a few balls...."

run pMc
03-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Yeah, saw Owen Daniels released, and I started to think hmmmmm...until I realized he's 31, coming off an injury, and averages about 4rec/40yds a game. At 6-3 250 he's not big or a bruising blocker either.
They can probably get that from a lot of guys.

Striker
03-11-2014, 02:05 PM
Sounds like Dansby is heading to Cleveland.

The Browns are reportedly poised to use free agency to bolster their linebacking corps.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that he’s “hearing” the Browns and Cardinals free agent linebacker Karlos Dansby have the workings of a four-year, $24 million deal, with $14 million guaranteed.

Multiple reports have the Browns as a serious suitor for Dansby, with NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reporting that Cleveland had become the top candidate to land the 32-year-old linebacker, who projects inside in the Browns’ 3-4 scheme.

Dansby filled up the stat sheet for Arizona in 2013, notching 122 tackles, defending 19 passes, recording 6.5 sacks and intercepting four passes. He returned a pair of picks for scores.

Dansby checks in at No. 23 on PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100. He is the top-ranked inside linebacker in free agency. If the deal with the Browns is finalized — and it cannot even be officially offered until 4 p.m. Eastern — he will be counted upon to replace the production of the departed D’Qwell Jackson, who signed with Indianapolis last week after being released.

call_me_ishmael
03-11-2014, 02:09 PM
The Dansby deal makes me annoyed we are not signing him.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 02:10 PM
average salary per season

with that 9.75 per year, he is tied for 3rd highest per year money. number 1 is revis, who could get cut any minute now

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/average/cornerback/limit-25/

so yes, technically sam could be tied for second highest paid cb in the nfl, after revis gets cut and before the other free agent cb sign, and if those other cb's get more money

we made shields the 3rd highest paid cb in the NFL, soon to be second

I suspect someone with a higher number was cut/released or had an expiring contract because two guys at 9.75 mpy and others at 8 mpy, even with Revis, don't give an $11 million franchise tag. Icould be wrong, but that chart doesn't let you go back to 2013 to look.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 31m
Have confirmed the #Packers have tendered LB Jamari Lattimore at $1.431 M. I think they were convinced they might lose him if they'didn't.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 20m
#Packers are not players in the bidding for #Ravens DE Arthur Jones. They had interest, but the price is going to be very high.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 02:48 PM
"#Packers are not players in the bidding for____________"

Just fill in with any players name all through free agency, why get out hopes up. I'm sure Ted the wonderful will fix everything through the draft.

Striker
03-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Ware has been released by the Cowboys.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32s
Former 49ers S Donte Whitner reached agreement on a four-year, $28 million deal with the Browns, per sources.

Striker
03-11-2014, 03:06 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 32s
Former 49ers S Donte Whitner reached agreement on a four-year, $28 million deal with the Browns, per sources.

Can't imagine Whitner is that much of an upgrade over Ward...unless there's something I'm missing.

run pMc
03-11-2014, 03:07 PM
I suspect someone with a higher number was cut/released or had an expiring contract because two guys at 9.75 mpy and others at 8 mpy, even with Revis, don't give an $11 million franchise tag. Icould be wrong, but that chart doesn't let you go back to 2013 to look.

What I read was that Shields is 2nd highest paid CB next year to Revis because of signing bonus/guaranteed money. Probably got facts mixed up, but whatever. He's signed and has a chance to play up to the contract.

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Ok forget about Jared Allen go get Demarcus Ware!!!!

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 03:20 PM
God please tell Ware to come to Green Bay like you did with Reggie White. :worship:

red
03-11-2014, 03:27 PM

well thats average per year for the life of their current contracts, there's guys that are entering the later parts of their deals where the cap numbers are higher

just like shields cap number this year is 6.5, other guys with much higher cap numbers for this year

heres cap hits for this year

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/cap-hit/cornerback/limit-25/

QBME
03-11-2014, 03:28 PM
It's now 30 minutes into Free Agency and TT STILL hasn't signed anyone! What's WRONG with that man???

red
03-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Ok forget about Jared Allen go get Demarcus Ware!!!!

ware is a much better fit for us the allen is

but he's gonna cost a ton

red
03-11-2014, 03:31 PM
It's now 30 minutes into Free Agency and TT STILL hasn't signed anyone! What's WRONG with that man???

every year we get our hopes up for this moment thinking "this is the year he'll spend", then he never does

packer fans just need to check out for a week or so this time of year

Brandon494
03-11-2014, 03:32 PM

Like Woodson hes worth it and we have the cap room. Something tells me he'll go to the fucking bears though.

red
03-11-2014, 03:35 PM
Like Woodson hes worth it and we have the cap room. Something tells me he'll go to the fucking bears though.

well, the raider have said that they don't want houston back, meaning the bears might be the only team that wants him. so hopefully they sign houston, then can't afford ware

QBME
03-11-2014, 03:40 PM
well, the raider have said that they don't want houston back, meaning the bears might be the only team that wants him. so hopefully they sign houston, then can't afford ware

According to the Chicago Tribune, Houston has signed with the Bares - http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-lamarr-houston-five-year-deal-20140311,0,2055667.story

red
03-11-2014, 03:42 PM
fuck, tyson jackson just signed with atlanta

i want to see those numbers

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 03:49 PM

Hahahahahaha........Your hilarious.

Your a long time Packer fan and know the score with Ted Thompson - the Green Bay Packers " dynamic GM ". That man may very well for him test Packer Nations patience as "the cream of the FA crop", is scooped from under our nose's.

If he treats this free Agency like he does the draft. Look for Ted Thompson to spend piddling money on "Fire Sale " players. After all... the Green Bay Packers, under current management:

"Have an excellent 'developmental program'; the envy of the entire NFL". Mike McCarthy (paraphrased)

GO PACK GO !

Striker
03-11-2014, 03:50 PM

The opening 30 minutes always determines the Super Bowl winner.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 03:54 PM
According to the Chicago Tribune, Houston has signed with the Bares - http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-lamarr-houston-five-year-deal-20140311,0,2055667.story

Yes and they were up front targeting him. He knew where he stood and the Chicago Bears.

Did we learn who TT was targeting? I'm not aware of such a thing.

QBME
03-11-2014, 03:56 PM
The opening 30 minutes always determines the Super Bowl winner.

You get it! :)

red
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
rumor is arthur jones new deal is for 6 a year, and we bowed out because his price was getting to high for us

might give us some kind of idea of what we're willing to spend

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 03:57 PM
fuck, tyson jackson just signed with atlanta

i want to see those numbers

Ranked @ # 56...UFA Tyson Jackson, DE, Kansas City Chiefs:

He wasn't worth the No. 3 overall pick in the draft, but Jackson has developed into an excellent run-stopping 3-4 defensive end. There aren't a ton of guys quite like him.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:03 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/03/10/4879246/chiefs-free-agency-tracker-branden.html

Red Zone

Chiefs’ free agency tracker: Tyson Jackson and Jon Asamoah sign with Atlanta

March 11

By: TEREZ A. PAYLOR

The Kansas City Star

red
03-11-2014, 04:04 PM
tyson jackson signed a 5 year 25 million dollar deal

we could have done that, and i wished we would have at least looked at him

Striker
03-11-2014, 04:11 PM
Nick Kostos ‏@TheKostos 50s
T.J. Ward to the #Broncos, per @AdamSchefter on ESPN.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:13 PM

Atlanta also signed the most productive DLman Vs the RUN off the Miami Dolphins (2013):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10591086/atlanta-falcons-add-paul-soliai-tyson-jackson-jon-asamoah-cut-thomas-decoud

DT Paul Soliai signs 5-year, $33M deal with the Atlanta Falcons.

Soliai spent all seven years with Miami and finished with 34 tackles and one sack last season.

Updated: March 11, 2014, 5:03 PM ET

Comment: Atlanta is busy out of the gate.

oldbutnotdeadyet
03-11-2014, 04:15 PM
I've been looking all over to see who the Packers have signed......

....and I got nothin.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 04:16 PM
Antoine Bethea to the 49ers.... 4/26 deal

Bossman641
03-11-2014, 04:18 PM
Some of these deals seem crazy to me. 5 years and 25 mil for Tyson Jackson?

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 04:23 PM
Another safety off the board. Malcolm Jenkins to the Eagles....3/16 deal.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:24 PM
Giants bolster line with G/T Geoff Schwartz

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/284708/giants-bolster-line-with-gt-geoff-Schwartz

NOTE: The Giants now need to find a center to replace David Baas.

Will it be Evan Dietrich-Smith?

red
03-11-2014, 04:25 PM
Another safety off the board. Malcolm Jenkins to the Eagles....3/16 deal.

oh wow

both those deals for safeties would have been improvements, and neither is a huge deal

red
03-11-2014, 04:26 PM
Some of these deals seem crazy to me. 5 years and 25 mil for Tyson Jackson?

thats right around where i figured he'd be for a month now

the guys an ideal 3-4 end

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Nick Kostos ‏@TheKostos 50s
T.J. Ward to the #Broncos, per @AdamSchefter on ESPN.

As it was speculated of late Donte Whitner is returning home to Ohio and signing with the Cleveland Browns. That's two of the top three Safety's gone already as TJ Ward was signed by **the Denver Broncos.

**Why is it that the rich get richer!?

red
03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
HOLY FUCK

TJ ward just signed with denver for 5.5 million a year

where is TT, these safeties are not getting huge sums, and we need a fucking safety

Guiness
03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Sounds like Dansby is heading to Cleveland.

Factory of sadness continues. They cut D'Qwell after he finally got healthy and seemed to be playing well. Did they do it for cap reasons? No, they sign an older player to a near identical contract. Plus they likely have dead money from cutting D'Qwell.

Why not just keep him? :bang:

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 04:35 PM
Former Giants NT Linval Joseph signed by the Vikes. No numbers yet.

red
03-11-2014, 04:35 PM
get on the damn phone and go after byrd hard, he can be had for probably 7 million right now

thats a steal

Guiness
03-11-2014, 04:38 PM
And Finley heads to Seattle for a physical. Not wasting any time, and I can't blame him...but did he have to start THERE? I wonder if the flight has a stopover in Chicago, he might as well visit the damn Bears while he's running around.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:40 PM
HOLY FUCK

TJ ward just signed with denver for 5.5 million a year

where is TT, these safeties are not getting huge sums, and we need a fucking safety

That's about $2.5 million less that I read he was estimated to be worth.

Where's Ted Thompson?

Same place he's always been. Inside of Ted Thompson. Can you imagine that man playing Texas Holdem? He'd have difficulty antying up. :-|

Ted Thompson simply doesn't think fast. He's slower than cold molasses and seldom dressed to go out.

He redefines the word procrastination. You've got to love him.

red
03-11-2014, 04:41 PM
And Finley heads to Seattle for a physical. Not wasting any time, and I can't blame him...but did he have to start THERE? I wonder if the flight has a stopover in Chicago, he might as well visit the damn Bears while he's running around.

its interesting because he still hasn't been cleared yet, even though we've been hearing for a couple weeks that he'll be cleared "any day now"

i still call BS on him being cleared this soon

seattle might give him an MRI and tell him "no thanks", and that could be curtains for him

Fritz
03-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Atlanta also signed the most productive DLman Vs the RUN off the Miami Dolphins (2013):

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10591086/atlanta-falcons-add-paul-soliai-tyson-jackson-jon-asamoah-cut-thomas-decoud

DT Paul Soliai signs 5-year, $33M deal with the Atlanta Falcons.

Soliai spent all seven years with Miami and finished with 34 tackles and one sack last season.

Updated: March 11, 2014, 5:03 PM ET

Comment: Atlanta is busy out of the gate.

Wow. They'll be in the Super Bowl next year, for sure.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:43 PM
get on the damn phone and go after byrd hard, he can be had for probably 7 million right now

thats a steal

red .....TT as usual isn't in the game. It's all easily predictable. The spots on that leopard won't change.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Wow. They'll be in the Super Bowl next year, for sure.

Well at least their trying Fritz.

red
03-11-2014, 04:45 PM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling

no the sky isn't falling, but we are in massive need of a safety. to me its our #1 need this offseason

and good ones, and real improvements, are flying off the board left and right for bargains

and we're not in the mix, thats aggravating

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:48 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5512/evan-dietrich-smith

ProFootballTalk reports C Evan Dietrich-Smith will visit the Buccaneers.

The Giants are also reportedly interested after cutting veteran C David Baas.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 04:50 PM
no the sky isn't falling, but we are in massive need of a safety. to me its our #1 need this offseason

and good ones, and real improvements, are flying off the board left and right for bargains

did you expect anything else? I'm not surprised. I'll be more surprised if TT signs any safety other than some no name that was buried on someone's roster. My gut feeling is TT is not looking for a safety in FA. DL and a below average TE are my guesses.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:51 PM

The rumor is that Ted Thompson is still having his late afternoon nap.

He usually awakens around 5:30 - 6:00 PM CST. It'll be OK then.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
did you expect anything else? I'm not surprised. I'll be more surprised if TT signs any safety other than some no name that was buried on someone's roster. My gut feeling is TT is not looking for a safety in FA. DL and a below average TE are my guesses.

Ted is having a bad yawning day.

red
03-11-2014, 04:52 PM
byrd is going to visit with the saints, and the saints have only 2 million in cap space

i'm guessing we could beat whatever they offer

but we need to actually pick up the phone to do that, or be in the office

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:54 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4936/ryan-mundy

The Chicago Bears signed former Giant Safety Ryan Mundy to a two-year deal.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 04:56 PM
One of my favorite rites of Spring is Packer fans freaking out because TT isn't doing anything on the first day of free agency.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Top Ranked Free agent Safety Jairus Byrd will visit the Saints on Tuesday.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5307/jairus-byrd/1

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 04:57 PM
Giants bolster line with G/T Geoff Schwartz

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/284708/giants-bolster-line-with-gt-geoff-Schwartz

NOTE: The Giants now need to find a center to replace David Baas.

Will it be Evan Dietrich-Smith?

It may be, because I'm sure TT still believes decent centers are a dime a dozen and easy to replace.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 04:58 PM
One of my favorite rites of Spring is Packer fans freaking out because TT isn't doing anything on the first day of free agency.

Noone's freaking out.

We're just watching the beginning of the end of Ted Thompson as the Packers GM.

What a great day that will be.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 04:59 PM

To be fair, he doesn't do anything any fucking day of free agency.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM
It may be, because I'm sure TT still believes decent centers are a dime a dozen and easy to replace.

There's proof to that too as TT changes one every two years.

That makes Aaron Rodgers cringe.

red
03-11-2014, 05:00 PM

very true

HEY, i like your sig. just noticed that

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:02 PM

He doesn't do much of anything period....in terms of how I expect a Packer GM to act.

That will soon cost him. His tired game is getting really old.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 05:06 PM
very true

HEY, i like your sig. just noticed that

Red, as a fellow Brad Jones anti fan, that was way to good of a comment for me not to use;)

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 31m
Have confirmed the #Packers have tendered LB Jamari Lattimore at $1.431 M. I think they were convinced they might lose him if they'didn't.

Good. I saw enough him to think he should be tendered, and I was surprised they didn't do it a couple of weeks ago.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Good. I saw enough him to think he should be tendered, and I was surprised they didn't do it a couple of weeks ago.

This doesn't really count as a free agency move. Hell if it were sex, it wouldn't even be a stinky finger.

PlantPage55
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I must say, at least it's been fun to watch Minnesota give out absurd contracts to Linval Joseph and Everson Griffen though.

red
03-11-2014, 05:14 PM
I must say, at least it's been fun to watch Minnesota give out absurd contracts to Linval Joseph and Everson Griffen though.

just an FYI, they're saying the same thing about us resigning shields

bears fans too

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM

It's always fun to watch them hang themselves. Although I always feel bad for AP, I think he's a helluva player and deserves a decent team.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:15 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/03/11/nfl-rumors-jets-giants-dolphins-want-sign-james-jones/

NFL Rumors: Jets, Giants and Dolphins want to sign James Jones

I wonder...... Eli Manning to James Jones...Touchdown !

PlantPage55
03-11-2014, 05:16 PM
just an FYI, they're saying the same thing about us resigning shields

Maybe so, but they're the ones who keep watching us win the division.

Joemailman
03-11-2014, 05:16 PM

I wonder how high it'll go with him. He's 32 and had a down year last year. Missed 3 games and had 6 sacks. He'll draw some interest, but I wonder if age/injuries will make teams cautious to throw a lot of money at him.

red
03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
http://fansided.com/2014/03/11/nfl-rumors-jets-giants-dolphins-want-sign-james-jones/

NFL Rumors: Jets, Giants and Dolphins want to sign James Jones

good for him. he's been a good player, has busted his ass, always did what he was told, and never complained

we're not gonna give him a big contract, but i hope he finally gets a nice payday from someone

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Maybe so, but they're the ones who keep watching us win the division.

I wouldn't be to proud of that this past season, it wasn't so much who was the best, but who sucked the least.

red
03-11-2014, 05:19 PM
I wonder how high it'll go with him. He's 32 and had a down year last year. Missed 3 games and had 6 sacks. He'll draw some interest, but I wonder if age/injuries will make teams cautious to throw a lot of money at him.

he was due 16 and he wouldn't take a pay cut

i wouldn't doubt someone gives him 10+, even if he is older and his numbers are starting to drop

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 05:20 PM
good for him. he's been a good player, has busted his ass, always did what he was told, and never complained

we're not gonna give him a big contract, but i hope he finally gets a nice payday from someone

If TT is going to sit on his checkbook as far as other free agents as usual, I would just as soon see him pay Jones and EDS.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:23 PM

This one getting away is really gonna bug me. It looks like TT has gone to:

"I really don't care about my own....mode. Let them get what they can. I'm simply cheap."

Ted Thompson has got to snap into gear this off season. I'm not at all sure if he even realizes it.

I do believe that Packer Nation is watching him very closely now. That "only" makes sense.

PlantPage55
03-11-2014, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't be to proud of that this past season, it wasn't so much who was the best, but who sucked the least.

That's fine. All the worse that sorry team should feel then.

The fact of the matter is that this same stuff happens every offseason with Free Agency, and we see MN, Det, and Chi flit in between making and missing the playoffs while the Packers go about as steady in making the playoffs as they come in the modern NFL.

TT's tepid approach to FA works for consistency. All of his detractors are right - we may never make it over the top again, but we make the moves that keep us right there in competition. The other members of this division wish they could say the same, but with their approach to FA they'll just keep moving toward roster turnover, dumping of bad contracts, and new coaching hires.

Striker
03-11-2014, 05:25 PM
Well at least their trying Fritz.

Because all that matters in the end is that you "try" harder than other teams. Salary cap and depth be damned.

PlantPage55
03-11-2014, 05:29 PM
You all can blame Joe Arrigo on Twitter. He keeps mentioning all these players that he'd like to see Green Bay sign, which means there's no way we're interested.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:33 PM
If TT is going to sit on his checkbook as far as other free agents as usual, I would just as soon see him pay Jones and EDS.

I think we're seeing a whole lot of former Packers in Free Agency this year.

I wouldn't be a bit surprized to see both James Jones (testing the market will exclude the Packers as he'll get decent money) and the same goes for our starting center last season... Evan Dietrich- Smith.

I expect both to sign elsewhere and I wanted both re-signed....along with Sam Shields ($$$$ signed for a lot of money $$$$), hybride OLB/DE Mike Neal and DE C. J. Wilson.

run pMc
03-11-2014, 05:35 PM

Am scrolling through these quickly and laughing. Good comments, everyone...keep them coming!

Also: Ware would be a monster signing for GB, but I'm skeptical it happens.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 05:36 PM
Another safety gone. Mike Mitchell from Carolina and formerly the Raiders has agreed to terms with the Steelers. No numbers yet.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Because all that matters in the end is that you "try" harder than other teams. Salary cap and depth be damned.

What's worse?

a) Spending what you have to spend to upgrade your team

or

b) Under utilizing the CAP space you have for marginal additions.

TT has a lot of CAP space and there is no good reason to not spend that CAP space on excellent additions to put the team back in the race for another legit Super Bowl run under TT's guidance.

GO PACK GO !

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Another safety gone. Mike Mitchell from Carolina and formerly the Raiders has agreed to terms with the Steelers. No numbers yet.

That's the safety I wondered if TT might pursue.

Nope.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 05:48 PM
I'm thinking the Packers are going to either draft Calvin Pryor or another safety or they will roll with Micah Hyde at safety. It's cost-effective. They'll dip their foot in the water to see if they can get some bargain FAs. If not, they'll use the money to extend Nelson and Cobb. It's pretty much that simple. If you keep reloading the live FA blog on ESPN waiting for something to happen, I'd suggest you take a walk outside, hang out with the kids, or start that next project because the Packers are probably not going to get involved on the first day. I do expect them to look into some deals in about a week or so though.
:)

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Free agent Golden Tate will visit the Lions Tuesday night.

The LIONS are looking for help for WR Calvin Johnson. Golden Tate is very athletic can also help in the return game.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5583/golden-tate

pbmax
03-11-2014, 05:54 PM

Bonus Speculation:

DE Lamarr Houston | New team: Bears | Old team: Raiders | Deal: 5 years, $35 million, $15M guaranteed

DE Arthur Jones | New team: Colts | Old team: Ravens | Deal: 5 years, $30 million

We have no idea how much is funny money or not. But those are the overall terms with the agent fudge factor.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 05:55 PM
I'm thinking the Packers are going to either draft Calvin Pryor or another safety or they will roll with Micah Hyde at safety. It's cost-effective. They'll dip their foot in the water to see if they can get some bargain FAs. If not, they'll use the money to extend Nelson and Cobb. It's pretty much that simple. If you keep reloading the live FA blog on ESPN waiting for something to happen, I'd suggest you take a walk outside, hang out with the kids, or start that next project because the Packers are probably not going to get involved on the first day. I do expect them to look into some deals in about a week or so though.
:)

Nah, I don't expect the Packers to do anything. I've just been kind of half-ass paying attention in order to see what the other teams are doing and to see if any crazy contracts are being handed out.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:02 PM

That's a good move. Any move that TT makes is something and that's good.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Nah, I don't expect the Packers to do anything. I've just been kind of half-ass paying attention in order to see what the other teams are doing and to see if any crazy contracts are being handed out.

How about this:

OT Rodger Saffold | New team: Raiders | Old team: Rams | Deal: 5 years, $42.5 million, $21M guaranteed

for a GUARD.

Robert Klemko ‏@RobertKlemko 2h
??? RT @SoftliSTL: Source in Oakland Raiders organization confirmed that Saffold will play OG in 2014

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:05 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/284736/cowboys-continue-purge-release-miles-austin

Dallas continues it's purge and releases WR Miles Austin.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 06:06 PM
I think the Saffold and perhaps the Griffin contracts have been the two head scratchers.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Going to be interesting to see how this guy works out.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2h
Former Raiders defensive end Lamarr Houston reached agreement on a five-year, $35M deal with the Chicago Bears, per league sources.

Lots of analytic types look at his pressure numbers and see a guy who has been good even in low sack number seasons. Raiders and Reggie M. are said to believe he has topped out and never gotten better than he was as rookie. The way the market for pass rush was for forming, they did not want him back at that money.

Bears are letting Peppers go, he will play a lot. We'll get to see first hand who was right.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Factory of sadness continues. They cut D'Qwell after he finally got healthy and seemed to be playing well. Did they do it for cap reasons? No, they sign an older player to a near identical contract. Plus they likely have dead money from cutting D'Qwell.

Why not just keep him? :bang:

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/4503/dansby-steps-in-for-jackson

Karlos Dansby steps in for D'Qwell Jackson

March, 11, 2014 ... 4:23 PM ET

By: Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 3h
Cal guy like @AaronRodgers12, right? RT @AdamSchefter: Falcons Pro Bowl safety Thomas Decoud to be released by 4 pm EST, per source.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:13 PM
Tom Silverstein ‏@TomSilverstein 2h
The Arthur Jones deal averages $6.6 million a year and includes $16 guaranteed. That's huge money. Colts always willing to spend.

red
03-11-2014, 06:17 PM
You all can blame Joe Arrigo on Twitter. He keeps mentioning all these players that he'd like to see Green Bay sign, which means there's no way we're interested.

tht piece of shit is still at it?

he's the fakest asshole i've ever come across on the interweb, i left packerchatters 8 years ago know because of all the arigo worship that went on over there

nothing else anyone else had to say mattered over there, everyone only cared about what "inside info" joe had. and he was never fucking right. one time he got one right. he named off like 15 guys that the packers were going to sign, one of the guys did end up signing. it was like watching jesus walk on fucking water over there. never again could anyone ever question the great arigo or call him out on his bullshit

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM

DITTO; I called for Tyson Jackson because I thought it was a realistic signing....an upside guy who doesn't break the bank. I'd be happy with the Dolphins safety and then draft one also

With that being said...this is FREE AGENCY...let's hibernate like Ted

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:19 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3170/demarcus-ware

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware is already drawing interest from "six playoff teams."

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 56m
The @NFL’s transaction wire is out. DeMarcus Ware is on it. Among those not on it? Chris Johnson. Julius Peppers. Steve Smith. #Staytuned

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 06:20 PM
I agree PB and Harvey. Saffold and Griffin look to be the most ridiculous contracts so far. I also thought the Falcons giving 33 mill./5 years to Paul Soliai was a little bit much. He's a good player but that's a lot of cash to give a 30 yr. old NT. The Falcons front three with Jackson, Babineaux, and Soliai could be a pretty good front in a 3-4 D although Babineaux was a DT in a 4-3 and he's also 32 yrs. old.

I'm actually a little surprised at how reasonable some of these other deals have been so far. (Ward, etc.) I thought with the cap increase, the amount of money some of these teams have available, and the normal 1st day craziness we'd see some more head scratchers.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:21 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2361/julius-peppers

BEARS release Julius Peppers.

Mar 11 - 7:16 PM

red
03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
another possible upgrade at safety off the board

bethea signs with the 49ers for between 5 and 6 a year for 4 years

red
03-11-2014, 06:22 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2361/julius-peppers

BEARS release Julius Peppers.

peppers > houston

bears just downgraded

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
I'm curious where the other CB's fall; I don't think anybody would argue Sam Shields was the best out there.....but I'm still GLAD they kept him
Free agency always appears to be bad news for Packer fans
The good news is in Aaron Rodgers we have about the most dominant player in the game who nearly assures us of a spot in the playoffs each year.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 06:24 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3170/demarcus-ware

NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports free agent DE/OLB DeMarcus Ware is already drawing interest from "six playoff teams."

Bet ya the Eagles are one of those teams. They need a pass rusher, he fits the 3-4 Def. they run and he'd get to play Dallas twice a year. Yep, he's going to Philly.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 06:25 PM
Mitchell got 5y/$25M with $14M guaranteed. I'd rather save that money for Nelson, Cobb, and the like.

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:26 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 2h
Source tells PFT that Donte Whitner's deal with the Browns averages $7 million per year.

S Donte Whitner | New team: Browns | Old team: 49ers | Deal: 4 years, $28 million

Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 11m
Safety market... RT @MikeKlis T.J. Ward gets 4 years, $23 million; $14 million guaranteed

S Antoine Bethea | New Team: 49ers | Old Team: Colts | Deal: 4 years, $26 million

S Malcolm Jenkins | New team: Eagles | Old team: Saints | Deal: 3 years, $16.25 million, $8.5M guaranteed

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 06:27 PM
I'm curious where the other CB's fall; I don't think anybody would argue Sam Shields was the best out there.....but I'm still GLAD they kept him
Free agency always appears to be bad news for Packer fans
The good news is in Aaron Rodgers we have about the most dominant player in the game who nearly assures us of a spot in the playoffs each year.

I'd argue that he is as good as anybody out there, if you aren't counting Revis. It's close between Shields, Davis, and Verner, but I wouldn't take those two without question over Shields. I'm surprised that Shields is so underrated for a guy that has made so many big plays in big games. I know he got a bad rep the year he wouldn't tackle anybody, but he seems to have gotten over that the last couple of years.

red
03-11-2014, 06:28 PM
MAYBE

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that six playoff teams already have called. in regards to ware

that gives as a 50% chance that the packers have at least inquired about him

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Mitchell got 5y/$25M with $14M guaranteed. I'd rather save that money for Nelson, Cobb, and the like.

I agree that seems a little high for Mitchell. He was kind of a bust with Oakland and then had a decent year with Carolina last year, (4 ints.) which he parlayed into this new contract with the Steelers. I think his productivity last year was partially due to Carolina's excellent all around D.

pittstang5
03-11-2014, 06:31 PM
I think his productivity last year was partially due to Carolina's excellent all around D.

Yes.

HarveyWallbangers
Two picks in the NFC Championship Game in 2010. A pick against Minnesota in the playoffs last year. A pick six against San Fran. The pick against Dallas and the game clinching pick in the de facto NFC North title game this year. Shields is a big play machine in big games.

red
I agree that seems a little high for Mitchell. He was kind of a bust with Oakland and then had a decent year with Carolina last year, (4 ints.) which he parlayed into this new contract with the Steelers. I think his productivity last year was partially due to Carolina's excellent all around D.

tj ward was cheaper

thats a bad deal

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:34 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/284745/report-cowboys-ware-both-open-to-new-deal

The Dallas Morning News reports the Cowboys and free agent DeMarcus Ware have both left the door open for a new deal.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3221/darren-sproles

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Saints are no longer planning to release Darren Sproles, and now plan to trade him "due to heavy interest."

pbmax
03-11-2014, 06:35 PM
tj ward was cheaper

thats a bad deal

Ward was 4 year deal with same guaranteed. Mitchell is longer deal with worse average unless I have become completely confused.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:38 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6505/andrew-Hawkins

Browns signed restricted free agent WR Andrew Hawkins to a four-year offer sheet.

The Bengals will have ten days to decide whether to match the deal and keep Hawkins in Cincinnati.

red
03-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Ward was 4 year deal with same guaranteed. Mitchell is longer deal with worse average unless I have become completely confused.

shit i didn't look at the years, just the other numbers

red
03-11-2014, 06:40 PM
the real bad news is that the eagles and bears have filled other holes but still have not fixed their holes at safety

they both badly need safeties and both draft ahead of us in the draft

SMBASS
shit i didn't look at the years, just the other numbers

Either way PB and Red, I think that's too much for someone like Mitchell who has had one somewhat decent year playing on one of the league's best D's.

woodbuck27
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5867/linval-joseph

Vikings agreed to terms with DT Linval Joseph, formerly of the Giants, on a five-year, $31.5 million contract.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 06:41 PM
the real bad news is that the eagles and bears have filled other holes but still have not fixed their holes at safety

they both badly need safeties and both draft ahead of us in the draft

Eagles got Jenkins from N.O. Red. I don't think they'll be looking to take a safety right away now.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 06:47 PM
Eagles got Jenkins from N.O. Red. I don't think they'll be looking to take a safety right away now.

red means:

No safety in FA (Bears and Eagles) spells bad for us in the draft as they both pick before us and their priority logically could very well be a pick for need at Safety.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 06:54 PM
red means:

No safety in FA (Bears and Eagles) spells bad for us in the draft as they both pick before us and their priority logically could very well be a pick for need at Safety.

I feel like I just entered an alternate universe Woody. Lol! I get what Red is saying but my point is that the Eagles did fill their hole at safety by signing Malcolm Jenkins from New Orleans so even though they draft ahead of us I don't think drafting an early round safety will be high on their priority list anymore.

Conversely, the Bears also signed safety Ryan Mundy away from the Giants today so maybe safety won't be as high on their draft priority list now either.

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 07:01 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5867/linval-joseph

Vikings agreed to terms with DT Linval Joseph, formerly of the Giants, on a five-year, $31.5 million contract.

I think this could be a sneaky good, Ryan Pickett-like signing for the Vikings. Disappointing--since they were off to a great start (from a Packers fan point of view) with the money they gave Cassell and Griffin.

red
03-11-2014, 07:08 PM
I feel like I just entered an alternate universe Woody. Lol! I get what Red is saying but my point is that the Eagles did fill their hole at safety by signing Malcolm Jenkins from New Orleans so even though they draft ahead of us I don't think drafting an early round safety will be high on their priority list anymore.

Conversely, the Bears also signed safety Ryan Mundy away from the Giants today so maybe safety won't be as high on their draft priority list now either.

i forgot about those two. maybe they won't need to go safety now

though is mundy really any good?

pbmax
03-11-2014, 07:22 PM
Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 37m
And @RickGosselinDMN to #Packers fans asking about Ware: How high are you on David Bahktiari? Limited Ware to 1 assist in GB's win 12/15.

Jason Wilde ‏@jasonjwilde 39m
#Cowboys writer @NFLCharean to #Packers fans asking about Ware: "Depends on how much they have to pay ... His six sacks came in FOUR games."

Brian Burke ‏@Adv_NFL_Stats 38m
Allen was 8th in +EPA last season among DEs. Peppers was 6th. Ware was 13th: http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?pos=DE …

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 07:23 PM
i forgot about those two. maybe they won't need to go safety now

though is mundy really any good?

To be honest I don't know much about Mundy at all Red. Could be a lower tier signing for depth or a back up just in case their top choices at safety, (Prior or Clinton-Dix) aren't available when it's time for them to pick. Who knows with the Bears but I have to guess they are looking at drafting D early.

Rastak
03-11-2014, 08:25 PM
I think this could be a sneaky good, Ryan Pickett-like signing for the Vikings. Disappointing--since they were off to a great start (from a Packers fan point of view) with the money they gave Cassell and Griffin.

I like the signing. Guion was pretty bad and Fred Evans only showed the occasional flash. He's young and pretty talented.

As for Griffin, yea lots of money there. He must have had some pretty good offers thrown his way. He has a huge upside so we'll see if Zimmer can get the best out of him. Has boom or bust potential.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 08:32 PM
It's always fun to watch them hang themselves. Although I always feel bad for AP, I think he's a helluva player and deserves a decent team.

If I were an opposing fan I'd be saying the same thing. But it seems to me nobody gives Green Bay a bargain. Sam Shields...wasn't he a Florida guy ? That dude is going to get every cent out of Green Bay. It seems like EDS is the sam way. But we desperately needed a starting CB and there was no guarantee that we could land anybody else in FA so I'm happy to landed Shields...even if we overpaid.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
I don't know how in the Hell they did it but the Saints just announced that they have signed a six year deal with Jairus Byrd. No details regarding the money, etc. yet. I thought these guys were so tight against the cap that there would be no way that they could sign him. Well, there goes the last of the high profile safetys.

red
03-11-2014, 08:44 PM
and the last decent safety is gone

byrd signs a 6 year deal with the saints

guess we need to rely on the draft and hope all the cards fall into place for us, or else we're probably going to be stuck with shit again at safety

fun times

red
03-11-2014, 08:45 PM
I don't know how in the Hell they did it but the Saints just announced that they have signed a six year deal with Jairus Byrd. No details regarding the money, etc. yet. I thought these guys were so tight against the cap that there would be no way that they could sign him. Well, there goes the last of the high profile safetys.

don't know how they did it either, they're 2 million under the cap

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 08:47 PM
don't know how they did it either, they're 2 million under the cap

Saints have always had stones and been willing to take gambles to push their team over the top....and it's worked once already; it matches well with their coach....who IMO...is outstanding

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 08:48 PM

guess we need to rely on the draft and hope all the cards fall into place for us, or else we're probably going to be stuck with shit again at safety

fun times

Isn't Miami's safety still out there ???

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM

fun times

I still hope we don't draft for Need because our safeties suck so bad
If Prior and Ebron are there.....we need to take Ebron ...BPA

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 08:49 PM

fun times

Former Packers safety Nick Collins (@nickdapick36) active on Twitter this afternoon:
- "I'd just cleared myself."
- "Nick Collins is still available."
- "@packers im still here waiting on that call."

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but safety was the one position I was hoping we could sign a proven FA vet so that we had more flexibility in the draft. Maybe they think Hyde can play the position and Hayward will come back strong so there will be room for everyone already on the roster. Of course we know that one or two of our starting DB's will get hurt sometime during the season or before, (Like Hayward last year.) and before you know it a position we thought was covered will be weak again. Lol.. I just thought we had the money to make a move to try to shore up our weak D in this area so I'm a little disappointed. No int's, no forced fumbles, blown assignments, and passer ratings through the roof against our safety's last year but what do I know...

red
03-11-2014, 08:55 PM
Isn't Miami's safety still out there ???

yeah he's still there

if every other team signs every other free agent safety though, and no other teams needed a starting safety, even then i would doubt TT would even call to inquire

red
03-11-2014, 08:58 PM
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it but safety was the one position I was hoping we could sign a proven FA vet so that we had more flexibility in the draft. Maybe they think Hyde can play the position and Hayward will come back strong so there will be room for everyone already on the roster. Of course we know that one or two of our starting DB's will get hurt sometime during the season or before, (Like Hayward last year.) and before you know it a position we thought was covered will be weak again. Lol.. I just thought we had the money to make a move to try to shore up our weak D in this area so I'm a little disappointed. No int's, no forced fumbles, blown assignments, and passer ratings through the roof against our safety's last year but what do I know...

well, if things don't go right in the draft then hydes gonna have to switch to safety no matter what because going with the guys we had last year again would be completely unacceptable

although we all thought that last offseason that we need to find a safety, yet M3 and TT thought otherwise

so maybe they think we're just fine there. we'll get the problems from last year fixed in house. that seems to be the theme this year

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 08:59 PM
The mighty Toby Gerhart just signed with Jacksonville. 3 yrs./10.5 mill. with 4.5 mill. guaranteed. James Starks has to be happy about right now.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 09:01 PM
Buccaneers agreed to terms with CB Alterraun Verner on a four-year, $26.5 million contract with $14 million guaranteed. (Sorry if this was already posted but I didn't see it.)

red
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Buccaneers agreed to terms with CB Alterraun Verner on a four-year, $26.5 million contract with $14 million guaranteed. (Sorry if this was already posted but I didn't see it.)

so, less then shields. a lot less

even though a lot of folks had him as the top free agent cb

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 09:05 PM
@AdamSchefter: Saints are giving former Bills S Jairus Byrd a six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed, per source.

That's absolutely obscene if true. No way I'd pay that amount for Byrd or a safety in general.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:07 PM
we've ran this drill. Every year we think of guys who would really help us.....and we sit still for a while ......some defend TT at all costs....some trash TT as we watch teams around us with worse cap situations improve.....some by overpaying...some by getting bargains.....as we sit tight.

In the end as long as we have the best player in the game to carry us this methology keeps us in the playoff hunt every year and probably gets us there. If you are a TT lover you defend him at all costs and believe the strategy will bring us a couple more Super Bowl wins while AROD is around. If you are not a TT lover and subscribe to wist's view that we got lucky that year you wonder WTF he is doing sometimes and deep down you know we're wasting opportunities to make a dynasty type run

Time will tell

In the mean time, we'd all be more calm is we hibernated the next 7 days........and watched college game film....like Ted :)

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM
Buccaneers agreed to terms with CB Alterraun Verner on a four-year, $26.5 million contract with $14 million guaranteed.
It's a bargain price all things considered, and make the Packers' four-year, $39 million deal with Sam Shields look like a severe overpay. Still only 25, Verner was long underappreciated in Tennessee before his 2013 breakout season, shutting down right corner and intercepting five passes. He's considered a superior fit to Darrelle Revis in Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier's preferred Cover 2. Verner also comes at well under half the price of Revis.

Makes you wonder if we should have went after him and cut Tramon?

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:08 PM

NICE deal if those are really the terms IMO. He's a nice player

red
03-11-2014, 09:09 PM
@AdamSchefter: Saints are giving former Bills S Jairus Byrd a six-year, $54 million contract, including $28 million guaranteed, per source.

That's absolutely obscene if true. No way I'd pay that amount for Byrd or a safety in general.

byrd is a top 5 safety maybe top 3. and if its a six year deal, then its full of funny money. and theres no way that 28 million "gauranteed" is all signing bonus

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:10 PM
so, less then shields. a lot less

even though a lot of folks had him as the top free agent cb

PONDERING THOUGHT

Do players want to come to GB if they are from elsewhere ? If the answer is no....and TT would have to seriously overpay....maybe that's a reason we don't nibble into FA much

red
03-11-2014, 09:12 PM
PONDERING THOUGHT

Do players want to come to GB if they are from elsewhere ? If the answer is no....and TT would have to seriously overpay....maybe that's a reason we don't nibble into FA much

so we draft guys and force them to come here, then have to overpay to keep them here

that kinda makes sense

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 09:13 PM
byrd is a top 5 safety maybe top 3. and if its a six year deal, then its full of funny money. and theres no way that 28 million "gauranteed" is all signing bonus

Yeah Red. Since it's a 6 year deal who knows how it's structured and how much, "funny money" is included. Still sounds steep to me though.

SMBASS
03-11-2014, 09:16 PM
Buccaneers agreed to terms with CB Alterraun Verner on a four-year, $26.5 million contract with $14 million guaranteed.
It's a bargain price all things considered, and make the Packers' four-year, $39 million deal with Sam Shields look like a severe overpay. Still only 25, Verner was long underappreciated in Tennessee before his 2013 breakout season, shutting down right corner and intercepting five passes. He's considered a superior fit to Darrelle Revis in Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier's preferred Cover 2. Verner also comes at well under half the price of Revis.

Makes you wonder if we should have went after him and cut Tramon?

Agree. That looks like a bargain to me as well. It's actually more along the lines that I was hoping we could sign Shields for. Somewhere in the 4/24-28 million range.

red
03-11-2014, 09:18 PM
stolen from PFT, but fuck them, i'm not in the mood

Unknown (for now) is the amount that’s fully guaranteed at the time of signing, and the amount that is guaranteed for injury only.

The structure also will say much about the expected duration of the deal. High salaries and cap numbers in future years make it less likely that all six years of the deal will be completed.

Given the Saints’ current cap crunch, it’s likely that the contract has been loaded up with bigger dollars later in the deal.

Bretsky
so we draft guys and force them to come here, then have to overpay to keep them here

that kinda makes sense

it's what kind of bums me out about James Jones
Over past years who has actually stated they want to stay here and even hinted they'd give take a nice offer...>James Jones.....
but he's at the one position we're strongest at

Packers4Glory
you don't have to overpay to come to GB. We have perhaps the best QB in the league. A strong offense. In the playoff hunt every year. A super bowl contender nearly every season. Believe it or not some guys want to win and will go where the money and the best shot to win. If we offer Player A the same deal as Miami where is the dude going to sign? If he's worth a shit as a competitor it's here. If he's just a party guy then we don't want him anyway.

red
03-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Agree. That looks like a bargain to me as well. It's actually more along the lines that I was hoping we could sign Shields for. Somewhere in the 4/24-28 million range.

thats almost exactly the type of deal i thought we could do with shields. about 6.5 per year

red
03-11-2014, 09:21 PM
it's what kind of bums me out about James Jones
Over past years who has actually stated they want to stay here and even hinted they'd give take a nice offer...>James Jones.....
but he's at the one position we're strongest at

yeah, i really feel bad for james and hope he gets a big deal somewhere, he deserves it

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-11-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of frustrated this offseason. I have never been one to want TT to go out and spend big money in free agency, but with almost 30 million in cap space and with the cap supposed to sky rocket the next few years, I would like us to be more active this year. It only makes sense. At the very least we should be bringing back most of our good players if not going out and trying to land a starter to fill a hole.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
you don't have to overpay to come to GB. We have perhaps the best QB in the league. A strong offense. In the playoff hunt every year. A super bowl contender nearly every season. Believe it or not some guys want to win and will go where the money and the best shot to win. If we offer Player A the same deal as Miami where is the dude going to sign? If he's worth a shit as a competitor it's here. If he's just a party guy then we don't want him anyway.

In concept that should be how it is. Just seems like it's been a long long time since the above has been the case. I can't think of recent examples.

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:26 PM
I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of frustrated this offseason. I have never been one to want TT to go out and spend big money in free agency, but with almost 30 million in cap space and with the cap supposed to sky rocket the next few years, I would like us to be more active this year. It only makes sense. At the very least we should be bringing back most of our good players if not going out and trying to land a starter to fill a hole.

we still may bring back the good players
Rather than find top free agents we'll probably absorb cap space this year with Cobb/Nelson deals and maybe another one or two

HarveyWallbangers
03-11-2014, 09:29 PM

Only if you buy the Verner is as good as some of the talking heads projected. It's group think. I've been wondering why Shields was underrated by the talking heads, but I'm guessing he was more highly thought of among personnel people than talking heads.

Rutnstrut
03-11-2014, 09:34 PM
PONDERING THOUGHT

Do players want to come to GB if they are from elsewhere ? If the answer is no....and TT would have to seriously overpay....maybe that's a reason we don't nibble into FA

much

Then it's his job to do whatever it takes to make them want to come to GB, why does TT constantly get a pass for not doing his job properly?

Bretsky
03-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Only if you buy the Verner is as good as some of the talking heads projected. It's group think. I've been wondering why Shields was underrated by the talking heads, but I'm guessing he was more highly thought of among personnel people than talking heads.

We never get the GM's views other than what McGinn offers; the closest we get to hear is from guys like Pat Kirwin, Bill Polian, and all the guys on the NFL network. They were all of the view that they were surprised GB paid Shields what it did but they felt TT must have felt like he was still rising as a player and if he continues to do so it's not a bad deal. They all felt it's a great deal for Shields in that if his play does fall off the Packers could part ways year 3 and Shields would have received 20MIL over 2 years with another chance to hit free agency.

Last, but not least, they felt like GB would have been in a very rough situation if they lost Shields.....and with his agent...most likely pressuring the Packers for every last penny...it was probably a smart move to retain him in a rising cap market, even if they overpaid