PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Free Agency Rumors and or Speculation

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

red
03-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Assuming they don't sign or draft a Center, Lang would probably be the backup. He moved over to Center a couple of times last year when EDS had to come out of games. They briefly tried Barclay there last year before Bulaga got hurt. They may give him another try. They also have Garth Gerhart on the roster who spent most of last year on the practice squad. They have options if Tretter isn't ready.

i don't like that. i don't like a starter being the backup at another position

if tretter goes down, then both RG and center are going to be replaced by backups, both positions now become worse off.

we saw it some last year. 1 guy on the line got hurt and 3/5ths of the line got shuffled to replace that one guy, and it turned into a cluster fuck

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2014, 02:32 PM
there was a story on PFT that the team said that tretter was going to be the center by default

McCarthy's quotes didn't seem like they were saying Tretter was the starter by default (which has negative connatations to me). He seemed genuinely excited about him to me. I think he said that a healthy Tretter would have pushed EDS as the starting OC last year. I guess people read different things from the same quotes (below). As far as McCarthy not unequivocally naming Tretter the starter, I think that's pretty common among coaches. Don't want to just give the young buck the starting reins without earning it. Unless an OC falls to them near the top of the draft, I suspect you'll see Tretter starting week 1.

At the NFL owners meetings, coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't commit to Tretter as his starter, but he admitted that if Tretter hadn't suffered torn ankle ligaments doing a fumble drill in organized team activities in June, he would have given Dietrich-Smith a run for the starting job.

"Good question," McCarthy said when asked if Tretter might have been the starter last season if he had stayed healthy. "We obviously were very excited about him when we drafted him."

The thing the Packers really like about Tretter is that he's as athletic as Dietrich-Smith yet stands 1ΒΌ inches taller, weighs about the same and tested slightly better in combine drills coming out of college. He would be quarterback Aaron Rodgers' fourth center in four years, but there doesn't seem to be any concern about the Ivy Leaguer's ability to handle the mental challenges of the job.

"Mentally, everything that he could possibly do to this standpoint based on the medical situation that he went through, you'd be very pleased with now," McCarthy said. "He hasn't played a snap in a game, and I get all the concerns and I understand that, but he's another young man that's in there early in the morning every day working out, voluntarily."

HarveyWallbangers
03-29-2014, 02:34 PM
i don't like that. i don't like a starter being the backup at another position

if tretter goes down, then both RG and center are going to be replaced by backups, both positions now become worse off.

we saw it some last year. 1 guy on the line got hurt and 3/5ths of the line got shuffled to replace that one guy, and it turned into a cluster fuck

The offseason isn't over. The Packers have 9 draft picks and they also seem to have some interest in some veteran backups (McGlynn interest).

smuggler
03-30-2014, 02:46 AM
They could draft a center, or (more likely) they could draft a guard or tackle and if Tretter tanks, they could slide TJ Lang to center and install Barclay at guard or install the rookie at center.

mraynrand
03-30-2014, 11:48 AM
The offseason isn't over. The Packers have 9 draft picks and they also seem to have some interest in some veteran backups (McGlynn interest).

c'est la vie vis a vis TT

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/wp/2014/03/28/redskins-sign-gc-mike-mcglynn/

mraynrand
03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
Ryan Clark visiting Seachickens. Potluck dinner at Pete Carroll's house.

bobblehead
03-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Do people think Micah Hyde can be a starting safety? I know there was a lot of sentiment on this board for the Packers to move him last year, but he's not getting much of a mention. I'm thinking Thompson doesn't reach at safety. If he can find value (e.g. safety is BPA), then he'll do it. Otherwise, I think they roll with Hyde. I was a proponent of the move when it was brought up during the season. Not necessarily during the year since I don't think he trained at safety much, but for this year.

I brought it up in training camp after seeing him in preseason games. He should have been moved then, but we still had hopes of the 2 muskateers working out.

bobblehead
03-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Tramontana-Shields-Hayward(hammy)-House-Bush plus Jumal Rolle, James Nixon and Antonio Dennard is not exactly stacked unless Hayward is healthy AND House plays well. Hyde, as M3 seemed to indicate, seems ticketed for only limited snaps at safety.

And I don't assume Hyde can play safety. We speculate about this all the time and fondly remember Butler doing it, but more have failed trying to make this switch than have succeeded. McCarthy said the plan for him to play all 3 downs and one of the roles could be safety. They called Bulaga to tell him he was playing RT. This doesn't sound like a position change to me.

As for House, he needs to start, or at least play regularly before we'll know if all the variability in his play is technique/talent or just rust at this point. His play versus the 49ers wasn't terrible, he didn't blow any coverages I remember and generally was able to stay with Crabtree, but he made no plays on the ball. And that was what he used to do well. Problem is if Hayward is healthy, he isn't going to get regular snaps. And it will be at least one year before Williams is gone.

House absolutely mugged crabtree all game long. If the refs weren't sitting on flags he would have drawn about 7 of them.

pbmax
03-30-2014, 01:22 PM
House absolutely mugged crabtree all game long. If the refs weren't sitting on flags he would have drawn about 7 of them.

I have no problem with this. Except that it didn't stop Crabtree in the first half.

run pMc
03-30-2014, 03:33 PM
thats the problem with the draft only approach (or the draft only 95% of the time approach this year), you do need your rookies to start, and you usually need 2 or 3 of them to start each year

we don't have a starting quality TE- we need to get one in the draft

we don't have a starting safety- we need to draft one

we only have 1 starting quality ILB- we need to draft another one

we might need a new starting FB- that would be another rookie

yes, in theory, you'd like to draft guys to be starters a couple years down the road. the way we do things, we don't have that luxury imo

Quarless will be the starter at TE. He'll be JAG there, and TT will draft someone. Quarless is probably no worse than Pettigrew. I think what you mean is we don't have a playmaker at TE. GB isn't the only team in that situation, although I think TT will draft someone to address that. Not much different from when Finley was hurt, in Rodgers' doghouse, or trapped in his personal psychodrama.

FWIW I think Burnett is starter quality, I just think he needs someone else to quarterback the secondary and not be MD Jennings. That will free him up and he'll play better. I wonder if he came back from injury too soon because of the contract and it affected his play all year.

Am curious to know which ILB you think is starter quality and which isn't. ;) I don't know if B.Jones' injury caused him to suck or if he just had a career contract year and actually sucks. Hawk would be a great backup ILB, he's smart, available, consistent, average. I'd like to see the ILBs upgraded with one who can blanket a TE in coverage and another who can hammer a RB and execute Capers' cross blitzes effectively.

TT will re-sign Kuhn. When Kuhn is washed up they'll find some other UDFA who's tough/dependable or draft a late-round H-back type and mold them. Korey Hall Spencer Havner types can be found without having to spend a lot.

Tretter gets first crack at starting C job. If they were worried about his ability to play C, they would know it by now (he was practicing at the spot once he came off the PUP list) and likely done more to keep EDS. I think they're working a couple of contigency scenarios now, looking at the draft, FA, and what they already have on the roster. These are smart guys -- you can't go into Week 1 without a backup plan at C. Injuries, etc., happen.

Agree with those who have said you draft for future. Red's right they have been pressed into more snaps than they are ready for, but I think that's more about injuries than starters' suckitude. If Hayward is healthy all year we probably don't know much about Hyde.

I've noticed that TT has drafted in pairs at spots -- last year it was RB (Lacy/Franklin), DL (Jones, Boyd), OL (Bahktiari/Tretter) and WR (Johnson/Dorsey). I look at that as him hedging his bets that at least one of them will pan out at a position. If he drafts that way again I think you'll see him double up at DL, WR, and S.

denverYooper
04-01-2014, 09:56 AM
Texans sign Chris Clemons. (http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-2/Texans-sign-FS-Chris-Clemons/b17e72c2-7f7c-4ac0-bc71-15293fc75a84)

run pMc
04-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Looks like Burnett and Richardson starting at safety in Week 1 doesn't it?

Striker
04-01-2014, 03:17 PM

Or Hyde. Or Banjo. Or Dix/Pryor if they are within range. Who knows.

mraynrand
04-01-2014, 03:47 PM

I like that a lot more than Jennings/McMillian. But It's pretty thin after that with Banjo and nothing.

run pMc
04-02-2014, 07:44 AM
I like that a lot more than Jennings/McMillian. But It's pretty thin after that with Banjo and nothing.

Agree it's better than last year's Week 1 combo of Jennings/McMillian. FWIW I think TT will draft a safety, I'm just not convinced they'll be the starter in Week 1.

Pugger
04-02-2014, 08:17 AM

I suspect Ted will draft a safety or 2 next month that will push Richardson, Hyde and Banjo.

Brandon494
04-02-2014, 12:16 PM

I would hope it will be Hyde or rookie starting opposite of Burnett.

smuggler
04-03-2014, 12:30 AM
Richardson's not horrible, but yeah, I hope he's providing depth and not starting.

Fritz
04-03-2014, 06:18 AM
I wonder if Richardson has any room for improvement, or if what we saw late last year is what we'll get.

3irty1
04-03-2014, 08:09 AM
As a specimen it doesn't get any better than Richardson. Hope he got a talent transfusion in the offseason.

mraynrand
04-03-2014, 09:32 AM
As a specimen it doesn't get any better than Richardson. Hope he got a talent transfusion in the offseason.

I prefer planaria or newts.

Planaria: you can cut their head in two down the middle and what do you get? Two heads:

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/regeneration_in_planaria.jpg

Newts: you can do this cool experiment where you cut off the hand at the wrist, then sew the wrist onto the torso. Then you cut off the arm at the shoulder. And dammit if a new hand doesn't grow out of the amputated arm!

pbmax
04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
I prefer planaria or newts.

Planaria: you can cut their head in two down the middle and what do you get? Two heads:

http://www.daviddarling.info/images/regeneration_in_planaria.jpg

Newts: you can do this cool experiment where you cut off the hand at the wrist, then sew the wrist onto the torso. Then you cut off the arm at the shoulder. And dammit if a new hand doesn't grow out of the amputated arm!

Not sure I agree. Because as you have clearly demonstrated in your experiments their reactions times are for shit.

Back to Richardson for now.

run pMc
04-03-2014, 04:19 PM
I feel sad for newts now.

run pMc
04-03-2014, 04:22 PM
I wonder if Richardson has any room for improvement, or if what we saw late last year is what we'll get.

Good question. Richardson seems like he's more of a SS, which means Burnett plays FS. Not sure that's the preferred arrangement but I expect TT will draft a S or two, and Capers will come up with ways to use them. I hope.
Maybe Burnett at FS and Richardson at SS on early downs, with Burnett sliding to SS and Hyde at FS on passing downs?

pbmax
04-03-2014, 07:31 PM
Tyler Dunne ‏@TyDunne 2h
Also today, @RavensInsider reports Owen Daniels signing 1-year deal with #Ravens. Had previously met with GB (before Quarless re-signed).

bobblehead
04-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Good question. Richardson seems like he's more of a SS, which means Burnett plays FS. Not sure that's the preferred arrangement but I expect TT will draft a S or two, and Capers will come up with ways to use them. I hope.
Maybe Burnett at FS and Richardson at SS on early downs, with Burnett sliding to SS and Hyde at FS on passing downs?

I foresee Hyde and Burnett lining up at safety and being largely interchangeable. You can make an argument that their skill sets are both that of a tweener.

SMBASS
04-04-2014, 07:23 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere..."Chris Johnson was officially released by the Titans today." I'll be curious to see where he ends up and how much he gets.

run pMc
04-05-2014, 11:39 AM
Didn't see this posted anywhere..."Chris Johnson was officially released by the Titans today." I'll be curious to see where he ends up and how much he gets.

Last speculation I heard was Jeff Fisher and the Rams might kick the tires on him. Heard there were several teams looking into making a trade, my guess is taking on the contract (or the asking price) was too much.

Also heard Lovie traded WR Mike Williams to the Bills for a R6 pick. Thought it was a pretty good deal for a talented WR, then I remembered he's on a 2nd contract, had injuries and had rumors of being a bit of a head-case. Not a Desean level of nutso, at least. He'll fit in great with Stevie J.

Bretsky
04-05-2014, 01:54 PM
Williams...heard the interview by the guy who re signed him in TB. He came off a banner year and has made some bad choices in last year. It sounds like he just got pulled over or made a real bad choice a few days ago and TB said enough. Bills got a real good talent for a 6th .....if he finds his head again.

Teamcheez1
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Alex Mack (Center) has the offer sheet from the Jaguars matched by the Browns.

$46M contract with $26M guaranteed, the highest guarantee of any free agent signed this season! What are we paying Tretter, $500k? This seems unbelievable for a Center.

Joemailman
04-11-2014, 08:11 PM
Alex Mack (Center) has the offer sheet from the Jaguars matched by the Browns.

$46M contract with $26M guaranteed, the highest guarantee of any free agent signed this season! What are we paying Tretter, $500k? This seems unbelievable for a Center.

It's crazy. But that's why the Jaguars are the Jaguars, and the Browns are the Browns.

Fritz
04-14-2014, 06:44 AM
How true that is.

They're running those organizations like a fan would.

texaspackerbacker
04-14-2014, 08:39 AM
How true that is.

They're running those organizations like a fan would.

Most fans are a lot smarter than that. For that matter, if fans were running the Packers, would we have paid Brad Jones like that? Or paid Raji anything at all?

Fritz
04-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Most fans are a lot smarter than that. For that matter, if fans were running the Packers, would we have paid Brad Jones like that? Or paid Raji anything at all?

I think you overestimate your fellow fans. Most of them, anyway.

red
04-14-2014, 09:38 AM
you just don't pay a center that much,i don't care if he's the greatest center to ever play the game. the fact is, he's the 5th most important guy on the o-line

Fritz
04-14-2014, 09:40 AM
Agreed on that, Red. Well, at least that you don't pay a center that much.

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Patler woulda given Scott Wells more!

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 09:43 AM
I feel sad for newts now.

Got better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzYO0joolR0

pbmax
04-14-2014, 10:15 AM

Who was the alternative that year in the debate, Wells versus ... ?

bobblehead
04-14-2014, 11:26 AM
you just don't pay a center that much,i don't care if he's the greatest center to ever play the game. the fact is, he's the 5th most important guy on the o-line

Ummm...actually 3rd, arguably 2nd.

run pMc
04-14-2014, 01:08 PM

Maybe, but many left tackles aren't even paid that. Mack's good, but he's not worth that money IMO. Is there a C in the game worth $8M/yr? I'm not sure there is.

He'll probably be in the Pro Bowl just on the recognition from this contract.

Guiness
04-14-2014, 01:26 PM

I think with the hybrid defenses being thrown out there right now, centers become more valuable as line calls become more important.

Rutnstrut
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
I think with the hybrid defenses being thrown out there right now, centers become more valuable as line calls become more important.

Exactly, but not 46M valuable.

Joemailman
04-14-2014, 02:01 PM

This would seem to mean that Centers have to be smarter, not necessarily better physically. Maybe that's why it looks like they want to go with a guy from Cornell who scored 30+ on the Wonderlic.

red
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM

i don't buy it, its rare when a center has to go 1v1 on a guy, both tackles are definitely more important, and i would say the guards do more work in both the running and passing games

yes, a center does call out blocking assignments at the line, but you don't need to be a rocket scientist to do that. they snap the ball,but how hard is that, really? the QB has his hands cupped around your balls, you're job is to pretty much try and hit yourself in the nuts with the football. then after the snap you help a guard block 1 guy. i just don't see it being that important

and i think proof of that comes in the draft when its pretty rare to see centers going in the first 2 rounds (1 maybe 2 a year)

if i'm a GM, i pay my tackles before i pay my guards, and i pay my guards before my center

and on a side note. the browns now have one of the best LT's, and best centers in the game, yet have jack shit at QB or RB for those guys to block for. whats the point?

Patler
04-14-2014, 02:09 PM
Maybe, but many left tackles aren't even paid that. Mack's good, but he's not worth that money IMO. Is there a C in the game worth $8M/yr? I'm not sure there is.

He'll probably be in the Pro Bowl just on the recognition from this contract.

He has been to the Pro Bowl twice already, in 2011 as a substitute and in 2013 as an original selection. In 2013 he was also voted 2nd team All-pro, behind only Kalil. He has the recognition without the new contract.

pbmax
04-14-2014, 04:41 PM
Centers are drafted earlier, in part, because the physical type isn't as rare. Size isn't the same premium it is at Tackle. I don't think that minimizes their role though.

red
04-14-2014, 04:58 PM
well, when you look at the way things work a lot of times. if you're a tackle in college, and you can't cut it as a tackle in the pro's, then you move to guard

if you then can't cut it as a guard, or if you were a guard in college but can't cut it there in the pro's, you move to center

Guiness
04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
CJ3.9YPC remains available. A little surprised by this, I can't see him getting signed before the draft now. I wonder how long before he realizes his salary is going to be a fraction of what he was scheduled to make?

red
04-14-2014, 05:25 PM
CJ3.9YPC remains available. A little surprised by this, I can't see him getting signed before the draft now. I wonder how long before he realizes his salary is going to be a fraction of what he was scheduled to make?

why would anyone want him? he's a giant head case and a distraction for his team. he's a horrible teammate, he's blamed almost every single member of his team over the last couple years for him sucking, and he gets less then 4 yards per carry

you can get that our of a mid round rookie for like 350,000 a year

someone might take a flyer on him for cheap, but my guess is his career is very close to being over

Bretsky
04-14-2014, 05:36 PM
I think he still have stuff left in the tank but he's looking for as much money as he can get and his attitude is marginal. I'd pass

Guiness
04-14-2014, 05:41 PM
why would anyone want him? he's a giant head case and a distraction for his team. he's a horrible teammate, he's blamed almost every single member of his team over the last couple years for him sucking, and he gets less then 4 yards per carry

you can get that our of a mid round rookie for like 350,000 a year

someone might take a flyer on him for cheap, but my guess is his career is very close to being over

Yup, my guess too. He might be able to extend his career in a Tomlinson-like fashion if he's willing to swallow his pride but at this point I'd bet he's asking a lot more than a team will pay him for that type of a role.

I wonder how much of his speed he has retained? Maybe he can return kicks!:idea:

Patler
04-14-2014, 06:59 PM

No, not even close.
I argued at the time that retaining Wells was more important than keeping Finley, because they had no one on the roster ready to step in for Wells. I mistakenly thought that Quarless would be ready to play in 2012, but if not they had lots of guys to catch the ball. A TE doesn't have to be one of them.

But, I wasn't in favor of an offer even as much as Wells got from the Rams, because he was either injured or nursing what were borderline significant injuries for years. When they talked that kind of money, I said let him go.

I admit to liking the Saturday signing. I thought he still had a year or two left. He didn't.

gbgary
04-14-2014, 07:30 PM
when you have a qb like rodgers you pay his protectors more...if they're worth it. just sayin.

bobblehead
04-14-2014, 08:37 PM
well, when you look at the way things work a lot of times. if you're a tackle in college, and you can't cut it as a tackle in the pro's, then you move to guard

if you then can't cut it as a guard, or if you were a guard in college but can't cut it there in the pro's, you move to center

To answer both your points, center isn't as important in college as it is in the NFL. Although you do bring up valid food for thought. In college a lot of centers are undersized try hard guys who can't cut it in the pros, but that doesn't diminish their role in the NFL.

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
No, not even close.
I argued at the time that retaining Wells was more important than keeping Finley, because they had no one on the roster ready to step in for Wells. I mistakenly thought that Quarless would be ready to play in 2012, but if not they had lots of guys to catch the ball. A TE doesn't have to be one of them.

But, I wasn't in favor of an offer even as much as Wells got from the Rams, because he was either injured or nursing what were borderline significant injuries for years. When they talked that kind of money, I said let him go.

I admit to liking the Saturday signing. I thought he still had a year or two left. He didn't.

I'm just teasing, you see. I was watching the NFL network where they do all those Top 10 lists. I was stunned when they did the Top 10 Packers of all time and Scott Wells was #7!

mraynrand
04-14-2014, 09:21 PM
To answer both your points, center isn't as important in college as it is in the NFL. Although you do bring up valid food for thought. In college a lot of centers are undersized try hard guys who can't cut it in the pros, but that doesn't diminish their role in the NFL.

I prefer former wrestlers, or guys who lived in my childhood hometown of Cherokee Iowa.

pbmax
04-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Chris Johnson is at the Jets’ facility (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/15/chris-johnson-is-at-the-jets-facility/)

The Jets are the Randall Tex Cobb of being able to absorb PR punishment. This can only end badly.

pbmax
04-15-2014, 04:58 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 52m
Vikings claim Terrell Manning off waivers http://wp.me/p14QSB-9sAU

SMBASS
04-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Chris Johnson signs a two yr. deal with the Jets. Haven't seen the terms of the contract announced yet.

pbmax
04-16-2014, 07:15 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10m
i can confirm that sidney rice re-signed with the seahawks because i read his tweet

BZnDallas
04-16-2014, 08:16 PM
SI_DougFarrar ‏@SI_DougFarrar 10m
i can confirm that sidney rice re-signed with the seahawks because i read his tweet

I confirm your confirm PB! Thats two sources right?

Guiness
04-16-2014, 10:25 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 52m
Vikings claim Terrell Manning off waivers http://wp.me/p14QSB-9sAU

About time they did their annual dip in the ex-Packer player pool!

run pMc
04-17-2014, 08:48 AM
About time they did their annual dip in the ex-Packer player pool!

LOL so true. It must be written in the CBA that any Packer that leaves via FA will end up either with Reggie McKenzie in OAK, John Dorsey in KC, or MIN.