PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Recovery 2014

pbmax
02-27-2014, 01:00 PM
On schedule. Looks like he could be cleared to play this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/118582/jolly-on-track-to-return-from-neck-surgery

And just in case I forget where I put this again:

It’s the same surgery that Packers safety Sean Richardson had last January. Richardson was able to return midway through last season and play an active role on defense. Jolly is expecting the same prognosis, if not better.

The C-5/C-6 fusion surgery is much easier to come back from than fusions that are done higher in the neck. Former Packers safety Nick Collins had a C-3/C-4 fusion and was never cleared. That's the same fusion tight end Jermichael Finley had last season, although last week coach Mike McCarthy expressed optimism that Finley would be cleared.

Guiness
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Good to hear, there were some who thought he was done.

What happened anyways? I don't think I ever saw the play.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Hmmm do you still sign him though? If he can't come back until mid season how effective will he really be? The guy was still working his way back from being away from the game for years and now he's coming back from major surgery and over 30 yo. Even bringing him back at the vet min he probably would at the very best need to start the season on the pup list.

MadScientist
02-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Hmmm do you still sign him though? If he can't come back until mid season how effective will he really be? The guy was still working his way back from being away from the game for years and now he's coming back from major surgery and over 30 yo. Even bringing him back at the vet min he probably would at the very best need to start the season on the pup list.
They might be able to do some sort of split salary where he only gets paid half when on IR/PUP (UDFA's get contracts like this). Otherwise I suspect the entire league will wait until he is cleared before signing him.

red
02-27-2014, 01:47 PM
i think he remains a FA until he gets cleared, no one is gonna sign him until then

woodbuck27
02-27-2014, 01:51 PM
They might be able to do some sort of split salary where he only gets paid half when on IR/PUP (UDFA's get contracts like this). Otherwise I suspect the entire league will wait until he is cleared before signing him.

He should be inexpensive enough to fit Ted Thompson's Green Bay Packer Budget Plan.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9TiCFqn0dBxQSguZMP-oKT-FmgT0Y2iTpfI-SWba11Rc2dfWVNw

Good thing I didn't pay for the deluxe mustard and relish?

GO PACKERS !

Fritz
02-27-2014, 01:59 PM
i think he remains a FA until he gets cleared, no one is gonna sign him until then

Probably, but may be there is an exception in GB. They seem to think he really, really needs the structure of football to stay on the straight 'n narrow, so I wonder if he'd sign a contract in which he gets paid once he's cleared - like the kind of contract suggested in a previous post - so that he'd have the motivation to work to get back.

It might be a nice little trump card to have - one of your defensive linemen possibly being cleared halfway through the season, with fresh legs and experience.

And if he didn't get back, then, so long, Johnny, and we hope you have a great life.

I just really like the way he plays, so I'm rooting for them to sign him.

woodbuck27
02-27-2014, 02:15 PM
Probably, but may be there is an exception in GB. They seem to think he really, really needs the structure of football to stay on the straight 'n narrow, so I wonder if he'd sign a contract in which he gets paid once he's cleared - like the kind of contract suggested in a previous post - so that he'd have the motivation to work to get back.

It might be a nice little trump card to have - one of your defensive linemen possibly being cleared halfway through the season, with fresh legs and experience.

And if he didn't get back, then, so long, Johnny, and we hope you have a great life.

It's going to get done. . . .I believe.

red
02-27-2014, 03:31 PM

well, if you compare it to the richardson surgery, which it sounds like its the exact same thing. richardson had his surgery in january, and wasn't back until week 12. depending on when "last month" jolly had the procedure, the older jolly might miss the whole season

so if you sign the guy, you're either going to have to put him on the PUP for most of the season, or you IR him