PDA

View Full Version : Vonta Leach

Tony Oday
02-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Can we get Vonta Leach? His lead block with Lacy behind him! They would get roughing penalties every run because of injured DTs and LBs in their wake.

bobblehead
02-27-2014, 09:44 PM
Where does everyone get the idea that Lacy is a bruiser? He TAKES punishment, not delivers it. Starks delivered more punishment in 10% of the carries. Lacy is a great back, great balance. That balance leaves him in dangerous positions.

Tony Oday
02-27-2014, 09:48 PM
You must have not seen games at the end of the season....the Vikings D would disagree.

red
02-27-2014, 09:50 PM
i don't think we really use a full back s a lead blocker, which if i remember is all vonta was good at

Tony Oday
02-27-2014, 09:54 PM
I wish we would.

pbmax
02-27-2014, 10:00 PM
I would agree with Bobble. Not really a bruiser. It'll hurt if you take him head on, but he is looking to get an angle on you to continue downfield. Takes a lot more hard hits than he delivers at this point.

red
02-27-2014, 10:02 PM
he usually uses his spin move instead of just plowing a guy over

Tony Oday
02-27-2014, 11:05 PM
He finishes his runs, he will spin move people and I am not saying he is Christian Okoye but good lord he is a bruising back that can hammer any lb or cb in the game.

Little Whiskey
02-27-2014, 11:40 PM
He finishes his runs, he will spin move people and I am not saying he is Christian Okoye but good lord he is a bruising back that can hammer any lb or cb in the game.

http://youtu.be/T_ddO5ENtus

Brandon494
02-28-2014, 12:44 PM
The FB position is slowly dying in the NFL.

mraynrand
02-28-2014, 01:02 PM
The FB position is dying in the NFL.

FIFY

red
02-28-2014, 01:45 PM

i agree, but the funny thing is that i remember hearing that same thing almost a decade ago when we let him go, yet he still had a long career as a bruising lead blocker

Zool
02-28-2014, 03:23 PM

When can we take Kuhn behind the shed and give him the Old Yeller treatment?

pbmax
02-28-2014, 04:10 PM
There are offenses that don't use them as battering rams, but they aren't dead yet. The 49ers offense will spread and they use TEs plus FBs and FBs as H backs.

mission
02-28-2014, 04:45 PM
Where does everyone get the idea that Lacy is a bruiser? He TAKES punishment, not delivers it. Starks delivered more punishment in 10% of the carries. Lacy is a great back, great balance. That balance leaves him in dangerous positions.

You're joking right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqfHVHIaEqI

The left-handed truck of his is his signature. Saw it dozens of times throughout the season.

It's OK to think outside the box, but when you're the only one that has your opinion, it's probably wrong. No offense.

He's a bruiser.

James Starks :lol:

bobblehead
02-28-2014, 10:48 PM
You're joking right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqfHVHIaEqI

The left-handed truck of his is his signature. Saw it dozens of times throughout the season.

It's OK to think outside the box, but when you're the only one that has your opinion, it's probably wrong. No offense.

He's a bruiser.

James Starks :lol:

No offense taken. Often when I am the only one of a different opinion its because I don't generally take my cues from what others say. I tend to analyze the evidence and form my own opinion...sort of like the Ryan Grant incident of whatever the hell year it was. Sort of like defending James Jones when everyone hated him for dropping over the shoulder catches. I could go on.

Anyway, I never said Lacy COULDN'T deliver a nice shoulder, just that he rarely does. Starks runs with reckless abandon. Starks knocks out Merriweather. Lacy misses games due to merriweather.

Lacy is awesome and difficult to bring down. That is a combination of nice size and superior balance. The ability to stay on his feet when others would be brought down puts him in position to take punishment far more often than deliver it. I am not knocking him, just saying his career has about a 6 year shelf life if he doesn't change his style.

woodbuck27
02-28-2014, 11:09 PM

Without the huge play of our FB John Kuuuhhhnnn !!

Aaron Rodgers likely doesn't get that pass off to Randall Cobb and put the Packers into the playoffs over da Bears. It sure looked like Kuhn's block on this ** guy ** sprung ARod to his left to make that throw.

** http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/3530/julius-peppers

Overall I liked John Kuhn's play in 2013.

GO PACK GO !

Carolina_Packer
03-01-2014, 07:46 AM
They drafted Quinn Johnson out of LSU in 2009, but then soured on him and traded him a couple of years later. They have not really looked to use a FB as a lead guy since. Well, that was a bit of a wasted 5th round pick. I was looking any established guy who was drafted in the same round after that pick, and it looks like the Packers could have drafted Chris Clemons, S, who was picked by Miami. He's now possibly going to free agency. Quinn Johnson is struggling to stay on a team.

mission
03-02-2014, 09:06 AM
No offense taken. Often when I am the only one of a different opinion its because I don't generally take my cues from what others say. I tend to analyze the evidence and form my own opinion...sort of like the Ryan Grant incident of whatever the hell year it was. Sort of like defending James Jones when everyone hated him for dropping over the shoulder catches. I could go on.

Anyway, I never said Lacy COULDN'T deliver a nice shoulder, just that he rarely does. Starks runs with reckless abandon. Starks knocks out Merriweather. Lacy misses games due to merriweather.

Lacy is awesome and difficult to bring down. That is a combination of nice size and superior balance. The ability to stay on his feet when others would be brought down puts him in position to take punishment far more often than deliver it. I am not knocking him, just saying his career has about a 6 year shelf life if he doesn't change his style.

Starks didn't exactly knock Merriweather out. I think Merriweather knocked himself out a bit there... obviously that's impossible to determine, but I can maybe remember only a couple plays all year where I thought "wow, Starks is tough". Those two plays aren't apple to apples comparable. He runs with reckless abandon, but that usually results in him being out of control and leaving some yards out on the field from not having enough balance or not breaking down to make a proper cut. He's definitely more of a slasher who needs an alley/crease to gain yards.

I think if you did a survey of NFL secondaries asking who they would rather tackle: Lacy or Starks... the results would be close to 100% Starks. Guys don't like getting mixed up with Eddie Freakin' Lacy. :)

I do agree with you on shelf life with Lacy and think even 6 years is optimistic.

pbmax
03-02-2014, 09:34 AM
I tend to think of Lacy as someone who will not go down a bit more than someone who delivers punishment.

bobblehead
03-02-2014, 11:08 AM
I tend to think of Lacy as someone who will not go down a bit more than someone who delivers punishment.

+1

Mission, I am not saying Starks is a better player or anything crazy like that. I would be willing to put money on that poll of who guys would rather tackle though.

The Merriweather analogy is exactly the one I wanted, while not apples to apples. Lacy ended up in a bad position because he didn't go down with forward lean. He kept his feet and ended up in a position to get cheap shotted. When Starks dropped the boom on Merriweather he probably should have put the brakes on and tried to cut back inside the field against him, but that isn't how he plays.

Brandon494
03-02-2014, 11:46 AM
Eddie Lacy's game reminds me a lot of Jerome Bettis. Bigger back with nibble feet who is hard to take down.

mission
03-02-2014, 12:26 PM
+1

Mission, I am not saying Starks is a better player or anything crazy like that. I would be willing to put money on that poll of who guys would rather tackle though.

The Merriweather analogy is exactly the one I wanted, while not apples to apples. Lacy ended up in a bad position because he didn't go down with forward lean. He kept his feet and ended up in a position to get cheap shotted. When Starks dropped the boom on Merriweather he probably should have put the brakes on and tried to cut back inside the field against him, but that isn't how he plays.

Lacy got knocked out because he was in mid-air, hurdling a player. I wish he would have kept his feet in that case. He had no chance to put a little force INTO Merriweather like Starks was able to having both feet on the ground.

woodbuck27
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM

" I am not knocking him, just saying his career has about a 6 year shelf life if he doesn't change his style." bobblehead

or less.