PDA

View Full Version : Moving the extra point

red
03-04-2014, 01:37 PM
I like it!

talk of moving the extra point from the 2 to the 25 yard line. making it a 42 yard kick, not a gimmie by any means

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/04/42-yard-extra-point-feels-like-a-red-herring/

MadScientist
03-04-2014, 01:55 PM
Leave it as is. Between the extra point and the kickoff out of the endzone and multiple commercial breaks gives the game a nice big break to use the bathroom and get a snack without missing anything.

pbmax
03-04-2014, 02:00 PM
If its from the right hash we are doomed.

Why don't they put it at the 10 or 15? They only need to get the success percentage around 90% so that a 2 point conversion is twice as hard.

Guiness
03-04-2014, 02:24 PM
If its from the right hash we are doomed.

Why don't they put it at the 10 or 15? They only need to get the success percentage around 90% so that a 2 point conversion is twice as hard.

That's what I was thinking. Even the 20 keeps the %age over 80. Do they really want to move it to the point where it's a 70% chance? There would be an awful lot more 2pt conversions, that's for sure.

pbmax
03-04-2014, 02:26 PM
That's what I was thinking. Even the 20 keeps the %age over 80. Do they really want to move it to the point where it's a 70% chance? There would be an awful lot more 2pt conversions, that's for sure.

The other bonus is the fun we will have at the expense of the Color Analysts who will be unable to apply a "chart" or general rule of thumb to the odd probabilities presented by these options. They will be utterly lost and will complain vociferously.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2014, 02:27 PM
I hate it, stop changing the game.

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Its called an "extra" point. If you make it a 42 yard field goal then start calling it the "maybe" point.

red
03-04-2014, 02:36 PM
well, i'm of the opinion that they either need to change it to make it less automatic, or get rid of it all together and just give the team 7 points for a TD (and flat out get rid of 2 point conversions)

to me, the extra point, is the single most worthless moments of a game

Guiness
03-04-2014, 02:48 PM
Speaking of kickers, a contrast in approaches when you look at the Jets and the Seahawks.

Seahawks let their kicker enter FA last year then signed him for under $1M. He was a top 3 kicker in the NFL last year, so what do they do? Let him enter FA again.

The Jets franchise Folk, who did have a good season, but...

PaCkFan_n_MD
03-04-2014, 02:57 PM
well, i'm of the opinion that they either need to change it to make it less automatic, or get rid of it all together and just give the team 7 points for a TD (and flat out get rid of 2 point conversions)

to me, the extra point, is the single most worthless moments of a game

I'm usually still celebrating the touchdown by the time they are lining up to kick it. Would you rather a score and then straight to commercial within seconds.. I already hate that the kickoff was changed for safety but now changing just for the sake of change doesn't always equal good.

red
03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm usually still celebrating the touchdown by the time they are lining up to kick it. Would you rather a score and then straight to commercial within seconds.. I already hate that the kickoff was changed for safety but now changing just for the sake of change doesn't always equal good.

well, the way things are going now, we get a TD, then usually a review to make sure it was a TD, with a commercial thrown in during the review, then the extra point, then another commercial, then the kickoff, then another review

i'd like to see. a td, commercial, kickoff, play right away

smuggler
03-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Moving the extra point back would slightly bump scoring up, since teams would pretty much go for two every time (except when the one point is pivotal, like at the end of a game).

Cheesehead Craig
03-04-2014, 04:14 PM
By moving the XP back, that would encourage teams to go for 2 more often. How does that go with the "safer" image the NFL wants? It would be more actual plays and a greater chance of players getting hurt.

red
03-04-2014, 06:19 PM
By moving the XP back, that would encourage teams to go for 2 more often. How does that go with the "safer" image the NFL wants? It would be more actual plays and a greater chance of players getting hurt.

move that back too?

maybe to the 5?

mraynrand
03-04-2014, 08:06 PM

hey if you want to reduce injuries, just have the game decided by best of 20 FGs. If it goes to OT that can be increasing lengths of FGs in 2 yard increments until someone misses. Exciting!

MadtownPacker
03-06-2014, 11:30 AM
Sounds like some XFL stunt BS. Let's also have two guys chase the ball downfield instead of a coin toss.

Fritz
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
And have former NFL greats who now are doing TV choose which defenses to play and which plays to run.

No, wait. Let fans vote for which play to run by texting. Interactive football!

Bossman641
03-06-2014, 12:03 PM
Stupid, the entire point of moving it was to make XP's safer for the linemen. Instead you will have DL giving a greater effort on the XP as the kick will come off on a lower trajectory.

MadtownPacker
03-06-2014, 03:57 PM
And have former NFL greats who now are doing TV choose which defenses to play and which plays to run.

No, wait. Let fans vote for which play to run by texting. Interactive football!
It's all about the Tweets old mofo!!

woodbuck27
03-07-2014, 06:10 AM
I hate it, stop changing the game.

ditto.

sharpe1027
03-07-2014, 06:43 AM
So, they must make you declare before you try "1" or "2"? Nobody would ever fake it, not that they ever fake it now.

Just get rid of it completely. No try for 2, no try for 1. Otherwise, leave it be.

Little Whiskey
03-07-2014, 07:36 PM
I heard an interesting thought regarding this. That the nfl is preparing fans for the elimination if the xtra point. They are going throw out a bunch of crazy ideas so that eliminating it won't sound so crazy anymore.

Bretsky
03-08-2014, 07:01 AM
LOVE it; the goal is to make the game more exciting...........do one of two things.......or both

Move the extra point to a 42yd field goal............and/or ..........move the 2pt conversion back to the 7 yard line

KYPack
03-08-2014, 08:05 AM
So, they must make you declare before you try "1" or "2"? Nobody would ever fake it, not that they ever fake it now.

Just get rid of it completely. No try for 2, no try for 1. Otherwise, leave it be.

You have to declare now.

XP is from the 1, 2 pt from the 2 yd line.

Also they use different balls. You get a kicking ball for the XP, a regular ball for the 2 pt.