PDA

View Full Version : restructuring tramon

red
03-10-2014, 08:59 PM
there are no rumors of this out there, and no talk of it, but tramon is making too much this year

we don't "need" the cap space at this point, but just in case we do for some reason, i think i have an idea for doing it based on some other restructures that have been done around the league lately

tramon is due to count 9.5 million against the cap this year, it is the final year of his contract

6.9 million is his salary and the key part of the number

2 million is the pro rated signing bonus

and he's got 600,000 in miscellaneous bonuses(workout bonuses, etc)

you take his base salary and turn it into a new signing bonus on a 1 or 2 year extension. he gets that money in his hand the moment he signs his name. spread out over the next 2 or 3 years you get either 3.45 or 2.3 million per year

for this year, you would have to add it to the remaining pro rated signing bonus (2 million) and you would have 5.45 million or 4.3 million for this season. i'm going to drop the miscellaneous bonuses to make things easier.

you then give him a smaller salary for this year, like 1 million, and you could give in 2-4 million in the remaining years

so, if its a one year extension

2014 cap hit = 3.45 (new signing bonus)+2 million existing signing bonus+ 1 million dollar salary =6.45 million dollar cap hit (he would take home 7.9 million this year, 1 million more then he is going to make)

2015= 3.45 pro rated signing bonus+4 million salary= 7.45 million.

his total take for two years would be about 13.9 million

if its a 2 year extension. lets give him 9 million for a signing bonus to make the math easy

2014= 3 million (new signing bonus)+2 million (existing signing bonus)+1 million base salary= 6 million dollar cap hit. 10 million dollar take home pay for the year

2015=3 million pro rated signing bonus+ 6 million salary= 9 million cap hit (16 million take home for 2 years)

2016= 3 million signing bonus+ 9 million salary= 12 million dollar cap hit (in the shields ball park, can be cut if need be).

that turns out to be a 3 year 25 million, with a 9 million dollar signing bonus

agina, not that we need to do it, but if we have to, here's a solution that could work

Patler
03-11-2014, 04:40 AM
...or you can draft a CB, cut Williams and save the $7.5M he is scheduled to make this year.

Seriously, I wouldn't give anything more to him until I see how he plays in 2014. Except for 4 or 5 games at the end of 2013, he has not played all that well for 3 seasons. He will be 31 in a couple days. I might be content to let him play out this season and move on to Casey Hayward as the starter in 2015, or some guy I draft in 2014 or 2015 rather than a 32 year old TW.

woodbuck27
03-11-2014, 07:25 AM
...or you can draft a CB, cut Williams and save the $7.5M he is scheduled to make this year.

Seriously, I wouldn't give anything more to him until I see how he plays in 2014. Except for 4 or 5 games at the end of 2013, he has not played all that well for 3 seasons. He will be 31 in a couple days. I might be content to let him play out this season and move on to Casey Hayward as the starter in 2015, or some guy I draft in 2014 or 2015 rather than a 32 year old TW.

Or you could make a trade with Tampa Bay for CB Darrelle Revis or sign him if he's released and the Packers would have an upgrade at CB with starters Revis and Shields.

I just saw that Darrelle Revis and the BUC's have another option. Maybe he allows his contract to be restructured.

GO PACK GO !

run pMc
03-11-2014, 07:55 AM
Pretty sure trading for Revis would require draft picks and likely not save GB much on the cap. If anything I'd think Revis would cost more, counter to the point of restructuring TW. If Revis is on the block, GB is not likely to be a player.

I've been in favor of restructuring TW by way of adding a year or two (at most) but I think TT will let him play out his contract. Unless he plays lights out this year, I'm skeptical they keep him as a starter at age 32.

Trouble is, I'm not sure there's a replacement on the roster...Hayward seems like a slot corner, Hyde could be a safety, House is maddeningly inconsistent. Maybe one of them can do it, maybe they have some developmental guy who makes a leap, or maybe they draft a CB.

red
03-11-2014, 08:01 AM

i thought i was the only one who thought that

with our best cb now resigned, i would have no problem asking tramon to take a paycut, or be cut

Guiness
03-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Or you could make a trade with Tampa Bay for CB Darrelle Revis or sign him if he's released and the Packers would have an upgrade at CB with starters Revis and Shields.

I just saw that Darrelle Revis and the BUC's have another option. Maybe he allows his contract to be restructured.

GO PACK GO !

PFT reported that the team doesn't need Revis' co-operation to restructure the $13m base of his 2014 contract, they linked to this article
http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/smith-believes-revis-fits-well-in-bucs-defense-20140302/

bobblehead
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
Red, I believe Tramon turned the corner and I love your idea of letting him keep the money and talking him into a modest extension if its possible...he could just say no though.

Patler
03-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Red, I believe Tramon turned the corner and I love your idea of letting him keep the money and talking him into a modest extension if its possible...he could just say no though.

Hopefully he didn't turn the corner as he crested the hill!

gbgary
03-13-2014, 09:28 PM
would be big loss to just cut him. must extend...imo.

woodbuck27
03-14-2014, 01:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramon_Williams

" During the 2010 season he was rewarded for his fine play, by signing a new contract worth over $33 million. This contract ties him to the Packers for 4 years with an option of a 5th." Fr. LINK